Starting Tomorrow

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AliceInSwitzerland
    on

I found the weekend really tough. 1,5kg down for my first week so I’m happy with that. Need to keep a food diary and plan ahead to avoid pitfalls. Hope everyone has a great week.

• posted by AliceInSwitzerland
    on

Hi Veronika, welcome to the group and the BSD. I’m a newbie too, 1 week in and 1.5kg down 🙂 . Good luck with your operation tomorrow and getting started, this forum is a great help.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Really WELL DONE Alice! I find that keeping a food log is the key to success. I found this when doing Weight Watchers also. I personally find Planning ahead a bit of a chore. I tend to just ensure that I’ve got enough BSD friendly food in.

• posted by lovetocook
    on

Day 1 of week 2. I’m really pleased with myself – I managed the weekend quite easily. Even though I drank a lot of prosecco on Friday night and ate double the calories I should have, instead of eating everything I could lay my hands on on Saturday (my usual hangover behaviour), I was restrained. I did eat a lot of celery covered in vegemite, but at least it wasn’t chips & gravy and crisps. I have however discovered that a lot of celery gives me the runs (sorry, TMI!). Weighed myself this morning and I’m 94.1kg, down from 96.6kg at the start.
    Also very happy that the almost constant hunger of the first week has abated. Fingers crossed this just keeps getting easier. My fiancé is back on Wednesday (he works 2 weeks on, 2 off), so hopefully I can maintain this eating plan with my midnight snacker back in the house!

• posted by Avila
    on

Day 1 week 2 – 94.8kgs (started at 99kg)

Slept nearly 12 hours after missing sleep totally the night before….

• posted by lovetocook
    on

Well done Avila!

• posted by Avila
    on

well given the amount of calories I would get from drink or from biscuits by the packet, just taking those out make a massive step forward.

I think it works the same way as the TV programmes who tell people how they can save £100s on their shopping or their bills – they always show the easy wins, tackling those who are currently very wasteful. A lot of the tips are of limited use to those who are already being efficient.

My eating was so junk and chaotic that eating properly and healthier should make a significant initial effect, as for later??

• posted by Avila
    on

OOOPPPPS

Just realised I have been misleading with my dating of this morning’ weigh in.
    End of week 2 was on my mind and I wrote Day 1 week 2 when it should have been Day 1 of week 3!!

Still really happy with my weight loss but wanted to correct anyone thinking I had achieved that in half the time!!

• posted by Leasko
    on

It is still REALLY Impressive😃

• posted by ChrissieW1953
    on

Well done to everyone who had successes this week.

I had a fail over the weekend, so 3 helpings of chilli and rice on Saturday and then copious amounts of cheese and nuts on Sunday. It was brown rice, so not unhealthy but has resulted in me only losing 100g since last Tuesday.

On the plus side, I have lost 4cm round my belly.
    I do seem to have beaten the carbs addition as well.

I’m now exactly 86 kg and started at 87.7 kg 2 weeks ago. Given the struggle I’ve had with hunger and feeling dizzy I’m going to give up on this diet and go back to just sticking to the mediterranean diet. I lost 1 kg the week before I started the blood sugar diet so will continue that.

I will continue to record my food and count my carbs and measure my waistline. If that does not continue to go down I may try the 5:2 version.

Good luck with your jouneys
    xx

• posted by Avila
    on

Chrissie,

No diet will suit everyone. 3 helpings of chilli and rice – sounds like the hunger monster was really hanging onto you, so it must have been a really really tough couple of weeks.

Seems the M plan was good for you so travelling on that looks like a good plan.

And 4cm less on the waist – that is a real plus.

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Gah, I feel terrible as I’ve just gorged myself on almond butter! Loads of the stuff! It was so tasty, but I regret it now… the problem with BSD friendly foods is they can be rather calorific…!!! But at least not sugary rubbish. (Oh but I had a brownie yesterday too!) Not a good couple of days, I think I definitely will be up in my weight tomorrow. But I deserve it so at least I know why.

I have been feeling – not exactly hungry, but a bit low energy. Anyone else getting the same thing? I wonder whether it is the body starting to use ketones (or something like that) rather than glucose, or it’s the hangover from my brownie yesterday making me more hungry today. Either way, not what I wanted! I think that was what led to my almond butter moment…

Thanks for all the holiday eating advice everyone, antipasti is a great shout, I’ll be stocking up on the meats and cheeses, mmm! Glad the things we can have are tasty. And my husband has insisted I will eat normal sandwiches etc when we go hiking, which I’m sure is sensible!

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying a bit of sunshine here and there xxx

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there

Re the hiking why not try Leerdammer cheese or equivalent or some sliced meats around some lettuce or chicory.

I did this whilst making sandwiches for the rest of the family on our hiking holiday and my lunch was yummy! No need to get back on the bread which may make you feel bad anyway if you’ve given it up so far.

I was very full and led the way before my (grown up) kids so not lacking energy!

There are always ways and means especially if you like cheese!

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Hey Avila:

WHAT! Cheesecake and did not offer me a slice? 😉 that is my biggest KRYPTONITE of all!

NYC is all cheesecake, pizza, and craft breweries in Brooklyn. I will just hang out with the art galleries!

I have to be very careful when I go to Carona Park in Queens soon for the US open. I like walking around when no Andy Murray games are on and look at relics of 1984 Worlds Fair.

What is my purpose of writing again? Oh yeh, cheesecake is one sin. You got back on the wagon!

Live Long And Propser!

The No So STUD yet!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by Claire0310
    on

I’m really struggling to resist Wotsits and cheese tonight!

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Weighed myself just now. Lost the weight gained + another pound (despite caving in to a bag of Wotsits last night!) Very pleased

• posted by ChrissieW1953
    on

Thanks for the positive words Avila. I shall dip into this thread every now and then to see how you are all doing.
    I feel better energy wise already, just eating a few more cals and carbs, but being sensible (mostly!).
    xx

• posted by Avila
    on

Well the weekend sins caught up – weight increased yesterday. Time for some extra exercise.

In other news – the raw chocolate pie /fudge came today… tried a sliver, nice, need to get over the expectation of the over sweet flavour of regular fudge, but will be a nice treat in small amounts. Needs to be in fridge but long use by dates (Jan).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The weight anomaly from the w/e will soon disappear, so don’t panic. Love the raw chocolate pie stuff, my favourite is the one with cardamom. Think I might treat myself to some actually!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Mmm SUNNYB and AVILA choc pie and fudge sounds food!👍🏻 like you said Avila,enjoy in small amounts only! X
    ABISAYS YES..I had some days of feeling particularly very low energy in first few weeks,but it passed. Hope yrs does x
    CLAIRE Well done on loss despite cheeky bag of Wotsits! X

• posted by Avila
    on

Yowser – with very little sugar it doesn’t seem to kick of the ‘started so I must finish’ approach I usually have with treats.

Just had some of the spinach soup I made the other day when I realised the bag of fresh leaves were not going to survive long enough. I stirred in a spoon of ricotta.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh me too AVILA..totally unable to be moderate when it comes to treats..😜😜 will deffo give the raw choc a go at some point down the line..cheering to know there are still some treats in store while we get healthier and happier! X

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Just discovered that champagne is exceedingly low in calories! Well, it’s been a wretched week at work…

• posted by Frog
    on

A 4-ounce serving of champagne contains just 1.6 grams of carbs – lower than that of other types of wine.
    White and red table wines contain about 3.0 grams of carbs for a similar size glass

—–and 0.4 mg of iron per flute

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Frog: it’s positively a super food; better get the second bottle chilled.

• posted by lovetocook
    on

I’m assuming prosecco has the same counts as champagne? Fingers crossed!!

• posted by Frog
    on

I think its about the same
    I’m not certainm but assume that the drier the champagne (or prosecco), the fewer carbs too.

• posted by Avila
    on

Oh dear, but was going to happen –

Church planned a high tea to mark 4 x 90th birthdays, 4 x 80th birthdays, a 60th wedding anniversary, a 70th birthday and 60th birthday – all in this year.

Lots of petit sandwiches and handmade posh cakes, cake stands and fancy china. And as minister I am expected to be out front sitting and chatting with people – I fell, mea culpa. I must do penance tomorrow with extra exercise.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Avila

As another minister, I’ve been in man similar food-filled occasions (parties, after funerals etc) since I started the BSD last December. I’ve found that people are happy for me to just sit and talk to them while I drink my black coffee. They’ve got used to me not eating the sandwiches, cakes etc. Same goes for home visits.

• posted by Avila
    on

Oh yes, it is my weakness, just would have been easier to resist on washing up duty!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Captainlynne – you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that if there were only bad carbs around you would just have black coffee. That was a real ‘lightbulb moment’ for me. I realised then that I don’t have to eat food just because someone has offered it to me. It has made it much easier to stick to the BSD. As a true coffee addict I am really happy just to sit drinking my coffee. I do also keep a small bag of Brazil nuts in my handbag as a good low carb alternative if I think there won’t be anything low carb to eat.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Hi All
    I am struggling 🙁
    I started the BSD on the start of my two week holiday and in the back of my head, I thought that it would be easier once I went back to work. I have just done a week back at work and it was a disaster. Went back to my old ways and stopped at Greggs twice on the way to work (I do mean twice in a week, not twice in one day…but to be honest, if it had been open on the way home?!)
    Reading all the posts since last week has been motivating and I am going to go down stairs and plan the shopping list for this week and aim to do better. I am hoping if I am good at the weekend, I may manage a ‘maintain’ and not a gain?!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning Leasko. Sorry to hear you are struggling but it’s great that you are posting on here and planning next week. So much better than giving up! You CAN do it!
    For me, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not about being good (or bad). I try and remind myself why I’m doing this and think about how I’m only cheating myself and making myself miserable, all for just a couple of minutes of eating food I didn’t want to eat.
    At the risk of sounding trite, my son’s journal was returned to me after he died in Afghanistan and he had written on it ” do what is right, not what is easy” and I try and think of that whenever I stray. Sorry if that sounds depressing, it’s not meant to, but it does help me. We are all different but I’m sure once you focus on your motivation, you will get there.
    Best of luck!

• posted by Leasko
    on

Thank you Bissell for sharing that, I do appreciate it x I promise that shall be reflecting on those words as I move forward today x
    I have just made myself some strawberries , Greek yogurt and almonds , the start of my ‘on track’ day 🙂

• posted by Bissell
    on

Great news Leasko, breakfast sounds good too! Enjoy the day. And your feral boys 😀

• posted by Leasko
    on

Bissell, I have just managed to get the two feral boys to give me a BIG cuddle to set us up for the day x Thank you for putting it all into perspective x Will log back in tonight with the MFP summary of the day.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Hi Leasko. Sounds like a lovely breakfast.

Don’t get too disheartened by last week; just draw a line underneath it and start afresh. It might be helpful to have a working week plan and certainly today’s breakfast is portable to work (it’s exactly what I take to work for breakfast). If you take lunch to work too then maybe Greggs won’t be a temptation. Another ‘trick’ I use is not to have any cash on me as I feel a bit silly paying for small items (buns from Greggs) with a debit card.

I agree with Bissell: I think it’s unhelpful to think of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ food. If you’ve not had any sweet stuff for, say, a month, then eating a slice of indulgent birthday cake isn’t bad, it’s sharing a nice experience with someone you care about.

BTW: I’ve not had any bread (including rye!) for ages now. I had a couple of small slices of wholemeal toast about an hour ago as I’m feeling slightly woolly headed after a ‘do’ last night. The result: stomach cramps. Lesson learnt and off to grill some tomatoes and mushrooms for brunch.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

KrysiaD – glad I helped. For me it was self-defence as I’m surrounded by food on so many occasions, and people think they have to offer me food when I visit them.

In the past, I’v often accepted, to avoid ‘offending’ people. But then Inreached the point where I realised I was doing myself no good at all. If I was going to get nealthier to be around for my family for a long time, and to continue to work hard, I had to put time and effort into caring for me as well as for others. It has taken a while, but those around me (or at least most of them) now accept that I don’t eat during the day, and certainly no cakes or biscuits, and that I just need handing a black coffee 😃 Easier for them, and better for me!

• posted by Avila
    on

On the money with you issue – I have taken my debit card (contactless – too easy) from my mobile phone holder. I take the phone with me on my dog walk and depending on route can pass various local shops, so passing and was able to tie up the dog and buy temptation any day.

Not having the means to buy anything means I have to make a separate intentional journey to buy things – and the cravings are not that strong. Whereas if in front of me as at the Afternoon Tea yesterday my will power lacks power!

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Continuing the theme of how to avoid temptation – not having cash etc – I do all my food shopping online and consider it a failure if I have to go anywhere near a supermarket. I find food shopping mind numbingly boring at the best of times anyway. It does help with planning and I think it works out cheaper as you only buy what you need.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Hi All
    Tried hard yesterday and did better than I have done all week. Trying to ensure that I get back on track, rereading the book!

• posted by Avila
    on

Online shopping didn’t work for me – I tried it when I was on crutches and couldn’t drive. To get to the limit for delivery I ended up ordering treats I might resist in the supermarket itself.

Stick at it Leasko.

I’m just gladd to be back after my laptop keyboard died. Now on a cheap plug in one. WHen it died my mouse pad was working then I had the bright idea to try shutting down and rebooting – only to realise too late that rebooting needed a keyboard entered password- ooops ended up with less than I started with! Had to be old fashioned with pen and paper notes this morning followed by emergency trip to PCworld for plug in keyboard.

In other news I am maintaining after my sins, my Jawbone Up2 arrived when the app isn’t crashing on my phone it is going well – extra long dog walk yesterday on new section of the wood near us so did my dog – cue chase, dog lost fortunately Phew!!! but over the 10k in that walk alone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Captainlynne – yes I was also accepting food because I didn’t want to ‘offend’ people. But you are right – once they accept that you are not going to eat the cake or biscuits they seem to be ok about it, and it is much easier for them. I don’t really like rice or potatoes but my OH does. He has taken over as the ‘cook’ of the household and he would always make too much rice or too many potatoes and would ask me if I would like them – rather than throw them away. I would always say yes – so they wouldn’t be wasted. How mad is that. Since I began to refuse them he either doesn’t do so many, or he does spiralised courgettes or white cabbage stir fried in a little butter for both of us. Much better for him and for me. He is beginning to change his diet also and cutting down on the carbs. We both want to stay healthy.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Avila
    I’ve replaced key boards on laptops a few times, getting replacements form ebay or amazon & reading customer reviews carefully – they’re quite cheap -under £15. With one of my old dells, the replacement looked better than the original.
    The first time I did it quotes from local PC repair shops were around the £200 mark – enough to make me think more sensible to simply replace the laptop, so was delighted to do it myself for £10. You just unscrew the top, pug in the replacement keyboard, put it back together & off you go – lots of “how to” videos on YouTube as well.
    I have a Toshiba at the moment – the keyboard seemed to be going a few months ago so I purchased a new one, but the old one seemed to sort itself out, so I have a spare in the waiting.

• posted by Avila
    on

Frog – you have inspired me to have a go just ordered a keyboard having watched youtube instructions. The external keyboard is ok in the desk setting but just annoying in the lap!

Week 4 day 1 weigh in – 94kg stable more than loss but having fallen off the wagon a couple of times over the week couldn’t expect any better.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

I had a pretty poor weekend so have chickened out of today’s weigh in.

Today has been much better largely because I was too busy to eat. I’m off to the gym imminently. I’ve not been for months because of a chronic cough which is just about going. Back to square one with the running but using the very good “Zombies 5K” running app.

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Still keep track of it on schedule! All of life is just a crazy Roller Coaster at DisneyWorld! Lots of Ups and lots of downs! I also do not go to the gym. Such a time consuming: hour to drive to and come back + hour in gym + 30 minutes in sauna and shower! Man what time does everyone have for this.

So, I have my own gym at home for about 80 bux. Kettelbell, Strength Training ropes, and my two feet for running and walking.

If you quit; I have to quit too! We are fighting WAR OF THE PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY! I need you on my side or else we all fail!

Live Long And Prosper!

PrincetonStud

• posted by Leasko
    on

Hi Claire0310,
    As you know, I too have struggled but I agree with PrincetonianStud, (but do you really hold one of the ropes?!) I have lost a pound this week, (I was going to type ‘just’ a pound but thought I wouldn’t have typed the ‘just’ if I had gained it!) That’s 5 lbs for me so far in the three weeks . I know others would be very disappointed with that, but for me… during the school summer holidays, juggling working and children and on top of that , we as a family we are trying to manage shocking some news that came in on Day four of the diet,…so I am thrilled with the 5 lbs loss! If I can lose a stone in the 8 weeks, I’d be really pleased. The motivation, has been this thread that you started x The perspective and encouragement from everyone has REALLY helped, thank you 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.