Starting today, Oct 3rd-fellow Monday starters feel free to join!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Victorir
    on

Ooh random good luck with the house move! It’s one of those really stressful things isn’t it, but always worth it in the end. Hmm I guess if it were me in your situation I’d try have lots little tupperwares of bits you know can grab and eat easily…in a bag for life or something separate to all the other boxes, like nuts, hummous, veg sticks, chicken & couscous. Few bottles water, maybe flask of tea/coffee. As you don’t get to stop let alone cook on moving day! By time you’re in at end of the day and door is closed, its feet up for cuppa and bed hehe! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m a married mum of two, my daughters nearly 2 (where’s that gone?!) and my sons 6, before the children I was always a healthy weight and slim without much weight thought or exercise. I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies, one diet controlled other injecting insulin, and my weights gone up steadily ever since. I’m currently in the highest prediabetic range and one reading diabetic. (Need two in diabetic range to be diagnosed) I want to avoid type 2 for as long as I can. My grandmother was type 1. My other nan was type 2, both sadly died with serious diabetes related complications. I’m only 32 and thought diabetes would happen in 30 years time not now with two young children. I’m 30% higher to get it from having gestational, so I really want to stick to this way of eating in the long run. The med diet has been great and tasty and once not doing 800cals be easier to sustain long term I think. I have about 2 stone to loose I think.

• posted by Victorir
    on

Thanks apatch, yep definitely a lesson learnt! I thought I had more will power hehe! Was surprised how ill I felt all night really after a surge of sugar.
    Oh brilliant, yep me too, I’m thinking will be easier using the recipe book for weekend, so I can cook for everyone, just add potatoes/pasta etc for others.
    Ah that’s very interesting, yes I think it was bit limited in BSD book too. As I have no idea what my carb consumptions been, just weighed things out and followed the recipe.

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Good morning, lovely people! It’s finally Friday! My two nasty gained pounds were gone this morning alone with a few of their friends! So since Monday, I’m officially down 4 pounds! Very pleased!
    Welcome to all the newcomers! I’m so glad we have formed this little support group! I find it so helpful to be part of a body of people going through the same struggle I am. I fear my friends and family get sick of hearing me talk about dieting and exercising.
    A wonderful thing I noticed this morning is how much belly bloat I’ve lost! Had to dress up today, after dressing down all week. We have the new student orientation today. I put on a wrap dress that I haven’t worn before because it wasn’t flattering on my gut and it FITS! Only a 4 pound loss, but my tummy is so much flatter! Now don’t get me wrong, I still have SO much further to go, but it’s a nice little victory!
    Tomorrow, my husband and I are taking our daughter and her friend to a movie. That will be a TEST as I LOOOOVE popcorn and candy and couldn’t tell you the last time I went to a movie and didn’t have either. But I’m going to take some almonds and maybe sunflower seeds and hopefully that will do.
    I’m less hungry today but still have quite the headache! Really hoping that subsides soon!
    Have a wonderful weekend, BSD’ers! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Cara54
    on

I really enjoy reading these posts. They are so inspirational. After reading through them last night I decided to weigh myself this morning instead of waiting till Monday. Found that I’ve lost 3lbs since last Monday. Now 13.0 and never going to be 13st anything ever again!!!! It’s great to be able to talk about it. I’ve gained 2 stone in 2 years and all all that time I’ve been trying one diet after another. I don’t think anyone takes me seriously anymore.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend and loads of weight loss to start week two.

• posted by apatch
    on

Hey Cara…

Your message was really heart-warming. I also put on 2st in the last 2 years….and when I went on the scales and saw 12.0 – I had the same thought – I’m not 12st something anymore! and only a little bit less i’ll be 11st something! It’s a great feeling…well done us!!!

Really glad that the posts here are helping ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by mauricem
    on

Hello everyone.
    i started the BSD this week. I have no problem with the decreased calories and carbs. I am maintaining something like 700 calories and 45 carbs. I know it is lower than the recommended but i dont feel like eating more. today i went to the gym, and did my routine 3 hour activity burning 700 cals. so what is the problem? i am feeling tired. My theory says that now the body should fetch its energy from fat, which i have a lot of, so why isn’t it doing it already. is it common to feel tired the first couple of weeks, unitl the body adjusts, or this is a symptom of the low calories, and i need to increase the input??
    anybody knows what goes on energy-wise when going on BSD??
    thanks in advance for shining any light on the subject.
    BR
    mauricem

• posted by shalimar
    on

So …. 3 hours of activity is routine for you? Am i right in reading what you posted? And that was on how many calories before BSD diet?
    Your body may be used the the activity …. but not on your new calories/carbs ….. i don’t think it’s like flipping a light switch … and your body starts burning fat. I think you need you give your body time to get with your new exercise and eating plan.

I don’t do 3 hours of activity … but i really adjust my activity amount with how my body was feeling …. otherwise i could easily pass out or throw up. Be kind to your body.

My plan would be to keep to calories and carbs ….. and adjust the amount and kind of exercise.

• posted by Avila
    on

Agree with Shalimar – give your body time to adjust

• posted by Meftl
    on

Hello again!
    Well, day 1 went .. okay I guess. I love cheese. It was so hard not to just throw the whole lot of halloumi into the pan when I made my warm courgette salad.. But I didn’t, so that is good. Also need to resist temptation of children’s unfinished slices of toast with honey in the morning. Hmmm. I will get there!
    I think I also need to better lay out my water for the day as I forget to drink and don’t do the full amount I should be drinking. Something to do for tomorrow and following days.
    See you all tomorrow and well done on all the weight losses and (more or less) successful sticking to the new food regime. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seashell
    on

Good evening everyone soo glad it’s Friday. Crazy work week but made it thru. Tomorrow shopping for more fresh veggies at the market. I have containers standing ready to make a select variety of meals so I can heat and eat for those in a hurry days. I ordered the cookbook today too can’t wait until it arrives to try some new things. Best of luck to everyone happy weekend!

• posted by Adelski
    on

Good morning everyone, hope you are all well and glad the first working week is over for most. I managed to resist the vino last night – quite an achievement for me believe me!!! I’m not going to weigh myself until Monday now – 5lb loss since last Monday so far.
    Good luck to everyone, welcome to all new members – Have a fab weekend ๏ธxxx

• posted by StaciB
    on

I too started on Oct 3rd. I lost weight for the first couple of days but I’ve now been gaining weight. I’m still albs down from my starting weight, though. Please, can one eat kidney beans or grapes on this diet and still lose weight?

• posted by Randam
    on

Hi Stacib

This diet is designed to remove our reliance on sugars and carbs.
    Whilst grapes aren’t carbs they are very high in sugar
    I haven’t had any fruit all week..
    The only recipes I can see so far with fruit seem to be apples.
    Kidney beans are ok though.

Sorry that you are struggling
    Do you have the books?.. they really seem to help….
    And lots of us list what we are eating on here the cals and carb content… to help us keep track.
    As you can see some us have had gains too – but persevere- it soon falls off xx
    Don’t lose hope hon… keep going xx

• posted by mauricem
    on

Hi Shalimar
    Thanks for the reply. I certainly need to talk it over.
    My exercise level has been 2 days a week 3 hours each, on the weekend, since i work 10 hours everyday.
    I have no problem with the BSD, since i love cheese, and am not feeling hungry.
    I love the sentence “15 Kilos ago”, which is when i could fit into my pants. (going thru cancer treatment, i lost 15 kilos easily in 4 months)
    the gain in weight, and mostly in waist inches, was caused by the special low residue diet that i had to go thru after major surgery in the abdomen. i HAD to eat white bread, and no salad, for six months. that was necessary for the healing process, but unfortunately, i continued with same input even when healing was over. so now i have an inflated belly, which i thought was hernia, until doctor said that it is fat. My target is to remove the fat from the belly, and fit into my pants. that is it. From the posts, people say that they have lost weight the first two weeks. so I thought the new metabolism must kick in. I will try to be patient.
    thanks again
    mauricem

• posted by apatch
    on

hey everyone, happy weekend!

Sooo…I lost a little bit more since yesterday and…AND…I’M NOT “OBESE” ANYMORE!!!!! Just over-weight ๐Ÿ™‚

Stacib – I think some of the recipes also include berries or pears. While I think there was a comment in the recipe book somewhere that grapes are relatively “low sugar”, this is contrary to other information I’ve read which lists them as being a high sugar fruit (well, high fructose), including the IQuitSugar book and website.

On gains, I also had some gains this week, but as Randam says, it will fall off again xx

• posted by StaciB
    on

Yeah I thought so. I was so hungry that I wanted to grab some grapes as we didn’t have any low carb fruits left. All I had yesterday that I believe was carb heavy were kidney beans and oats. I don’t know why I gained half a pound. I haven’t measured myself yet though because yesterday I gained a pound from 2 days ago and I was down 1 inch from my waist. Which was good enough for me.

• posted by Seashell
    on

Good morning.Can’t believe I’m down 8.5 lbs already. I see some of you love the vino but are avoiding it. I switched to Riunite Lambrusco I can have 5oz. for about 100 cal and I build my meal day around it. I’ve enjoyed my glass every evening without issue so far so if interested give it a try. Best of luck

• posted by Keid
    on

Hello everyone hope you’re all having a good weekend. I’m another lb down so 6 in total which is great. I made the beetroot falafel today and they were so yummy. Does anybody know what the fat & carbs etc are for them as it’s not in the book just calories. Thanks keid x

• posted by Victorir
    on

Hi everyone,
    It sounds as if all is going well!
    I have made a shopping list of ingredients for recipes from the recipe book, ready for the next few days. It does say eat more veg and fruit in that order, think only whilst on the 8 week plan. Apples are in the yoghurt recipes. So a few slices of apple with nut butter would fill you up as a snack.
    Carrot sticks, sweet taste too but not as sugary as say melon!
    Regarding exercise, I don’t know if you have the book Mauricem but it mentions the HIT way, High Intensity Training. So you’d do 10-15 mins of working out rather than 3 hours. Shown to have same impact. Few mins normal then an interval of fast then rest then go again etc. Loads things online about it. 700 cals is very low to work out on. Maybe follow it with a meal that’s higher protein so you’ve got the energy.
    Well done on all the losses! So many pounds down already! Amazing!!
    I’m going wait and weigh myself Monday..enjoy the weekend everyone! Xx

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

Well done Apatch! Fab news!
    Love hearing all the success stories alongside the struggles – shows we are not alone.
    I had everything bad last night at friends for supper, but back on it today and I didn’t pick at the children’s food either (less a handful of crisps earlier).
    Weight loss is around 2kgs since Monday, with about 6kgs to go but I know it will slow down considerably.
    Just have to say I did the prawn courgetti this evening from the book and it was so delicious. I’m also a big fan of the grilled pepper/feta combo. Anyone else got any favourites from the book(s) they’d recommend? Glad to hear the falafels are nice, I’m planning on doing those next week.

• posted by Yorklass59
    on

hi all, just catching up on the week as I don’t have chance then. Everybody seems to be doing so well! Congratulations! This is the last day of my first week and I have found it alright really. I am missing my coffees so am limiting myself to three for the milk element. I didn’t weigh myself until Friday morning when I had access to some scales, so will wait til then next week with bated breath.I enjoyed to curry this week and the bolognaise. Drinking lots and that is okay. I do have a hungry feeling which I am taking as a positive sign that something is happening!! I do two lots of one hour exercise in the mornings which suits me. I am determined to follow this for 7 more weeks and then see what I want to do then. Hoping this is the diet to get my horrid weight off once and for all! Bravo to all of us for being here! x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi everyone, congrats Apatch on that milestone ๐Ÿ˜€ I still remember how over the moon I was when I hit the BMI one a few months ago.

I had an interesting day today, having decided that I wouldn’t eat before 12:00, I then decided to go shopping, mowed the lawn and still hadn’t had anything to eat when it came time to eat tea. I didn’t have any problems and the meal was around the same size as I was having on my previous diet, so I think I will adopt this one meal (plus pudding) model for all of the weekend days, at least until I suddenly find myself starving in the morning. On the shopping trip I bought a pair of size 12 black jeans and they fit ๐Ÿ˜Š and added a few other items to my box of clothes ‘targets’ in my box in the cupboard.

• posted by Adelski
    on

Hi everyone, hope you have all had a fabulous day. Well done mixnmatch, a very similar day to me apart from shopping for clothes but I have been looking on line today at lots of lovely skinny jeans, dresses the list goes on!!….I feel eating in the evening is the way to go for me too. I would prefer having a decent portion and then yogurt and nuts or fruit. Think I will start a target box – very good idea.
    Well done to all, keep inspiring!! ๏ธXxx

• posted by Cara54
    on

Well done us indeed, apatch. And everyone else as well. It’s good to see everyone getting on so well.
    Just got the recipe book today. It looks amazing. I’ve not had so much real food in the house for ages. I live alone and although I cook for a living I’ve not been that good at making proper meals for myself. So all change now. I hope I can keep it up!!

• posted by Seashell
    on

You can do it, Cara54, believe me if I’ve managed to do my own meals living in a house with 7 others anyone can. I’m waiting for my recipe book to arrive and try some new things. Best of luck to you!

• posted by Cara54
    on

Thank you Seashell. Living alone definitely has advantages. Just need to be organised.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My first official Fast 800 weigh-in this morning, I have lost 5 pounds and 1.3% body fat. I have also lost 1cm off my waist. I am doing my official weigh and measure on Sunday as I will usually not have time on Monday morning, so this has only been 6 days. I am also now under 80 kg according to my rough calculations, and under 175 pounds in weight. Only two pounds to go now until I have lost 6 1/2 stone! Maybe next week, fingers crossed.

• posted by Randam
    on

That’s awesome Mixnmatch!… well done!
    That’s an amazing total loss

Like you I also use Sunday as my weekly weigh day
    I’ve lost 7lbs… and 2 inches off my waist
    I am really pleased !… and motivated!
    They are not going on again!

I’ve got 4lb to lose to be 13 stone something – so that’s next weeks goal… as I know it will slow down now.
    I’m going to try and reduce how often I stand on the scales … I get obsessive otherwise.

Best meals last week:
    Red Thai curry
    Courgetti bolognese
    Halloumi kebabs
    And
    Yesterday’s brekkie… which was

red pepper cut in half…, lined with ham, whisk 2 eggs and pour in on top of the ham… 25g mozzeralla sliced on top … and bake for 25mins on 200c
    I found it in a different recipie book…their BSD quick start guide, as I couldn’t face avacado!

Just had my first piece of fruit for a week – an apple…
    It was so sweet!

Keep going everyone… I can’t wait to hear all your total losses for the week tomorrow

• posted by Cara54
    on

Well done Mixnmatch. That’s a great result. Next week will be just as good.
    Randan, good for you too. Very motivating for you and for the rest of us.

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

Mixnmatch – that is seriously impressive *in awe* ๐Ÿ™‚

thanks for the recipe suggestion Randam – sounds yummy. And 7 lbs in the first week is fantastic. I can see why this method is motivating when you see changes like that. I think I’m heading for about the same, I’ll see tomorrow.

I just sat through Finding Dory in the cinema and ate a couple of marshmallows, a few haribo and a small bit of popcorn. I can officially announce they tasted horrid. Something strange is going on…..
    Feel shattered today as I’ve got the worst sore throat and it’s been keeping me awake at night for the past 3 nights. Normally on days like these I’d be heading for the carbs and coke to keep me going, but not today. Having to keep on it! 2 hours of lawn mowing will be my fitness today so hopefully I’ll burn off the bad sugar I had this morning.

Keep going guys ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seashell
    on

Mixnmatch way to go, that’s an awesome accomplishment. I can only hope to get as far myself. I weigh in tomorrow for the week mark and will attempt to work in some additional exercise this week. Concentrated more on the food aspects l last week and still seemed to work out.

• posted by apatch
    on

thank you all for the positive words and encouragement xxx it has really helped me to get through this week. and it does feel as though it’s getting gradually easier…

Major Mummy – it’s tough going on this thing with a sore throat etc…I had a head cold for most of this week and slept poorly, it was a slog and I really had to resist the carbs too…but i got there ๐Ÿ™‚

Btw, I had the thai red curry for dinner tonight with cauliflower “rice”. It was only amazing!

I got my bike fixed today and went cycling (for the first time in 2 years). What is happening to me!! Though, I am partly rejoicing that it’s well into October now and the weather here in Dublin is still well and truly in the double digits…

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done all you guys on here! Week 2 kicks off tomorrow…wishing you all a smooth and easy week ahead x
    MIX i congratulated you elsewhere but i have to do it again here.. You are a ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ x
    RANDAM isnt it weird? That an apple becomes a weekend treat! Same here! ๐Ÿ˜‰ X and how fab! 7 lb down! Thats 14 packs of butter x
    Get well soon MAJOR MUMMY! X
    YORKLASS well done on yr first week under yr belt and on all the exercise! X perhaps you need more full fat/ protein if youre hungry plus using up a lot of cals with all that exercise!
    VICTORIR Good luck with yr weigh in x
    Well done SEASHELL! KEID! ADELSKI! PRIMADAWN! CARA! APATCH!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ
    MEFTL I am just like you.. I always want to chuck all the halloumi in the pan! I love it! Its low in carb but quite hi cal.
    good luck STACIB and MAURICEM best of luck with losing that tum..nearly 14 weeks and my v substantial tum is far far smaller now! Makes a big difference to how i look! And trouser buttons and zips that always popped open now stay firmly closed! ๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by StaciB
    on

Are we not supposed to eat fruits like apples? I’ve been eating them all week. It’s my life saver.

• posted by shalimar
    on

StaciB …. you can eat an apple … or other fruit … as long as you count the calories and carbs in your count.

Berries are better.

There are small amounts of apple, pear, etc. in the recipies.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Its just they are quite carby STACI so they take a big chunk out of yr daily allowance..according to mynetdiary a 6oz red apple has 88 cals and a whopping 23 carbs…came as a shock to me..i used to eat apples freely,now one apple is a weekend treat..or a small pear,narna or orange! Weekdays i just have some berries.like shalimar said,you can have apples but you need to count the cals/ carbs x

• posted by apatch
    on

Wow – sounds unbelievable when you put it like that, Yowzer…14 packs of butter! Feck-a-doodle-do!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

APATCH! That made me laugh..feck a doodle do! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ x

• posted by apatch
    on

๐Ÿ˜„ xxx

• posted by apatch
    on

PS. I tried to make the courgette and apply muffins tonight and I have to say, they are absolute, 100% badness. The first thing I’ve tried from these books that has been a resounding flop.

Although, it was my first time baking with coconut flour, so I probably didn’t know what to expect (flavour AND texture-wise….)

• posted by apatch
    on

*apple

• posted by shalimar
    on

Just googled the phase “baking with coconut flour” — wonder if the recipe took into account how to use coconut flour???? I’ve never used it!
    I’ve heard gluten free baking just isn’t the same as regular. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by apatch
    on

I googled it too, after reading your message shalimar ๐Ÿ™‚

It definitely absorbed a lot of liquid and yet the mixture still had a dry, crumbly texture (before it was even cooked). But the flavour was really strange (and not in the good way!). I imagined that it would probably actually have taken a lot of sugar in the recipe to make the flavour palatable.

• posted by StaciB
    on

I’m not counting calories. I’m just doing the med-style eating

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

STACI if youre not counting cals or carbs,you can just enjoy your apples! They will do you good.
    This time of year i love russet apples,which will be in shops any day now, and i’ll find it difficult to keep to just one a week ! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™ x

• posted by bigoldmoosehead
    on

Morning all week 2-ers. Well one week down and frankly was feeling a little deflated. Lost 2.5lbs in total last week. (2 days I actually put on weight despite sticking to 800 cals and 50g or less carbs). I have always been a low fat diet kinda gal so wonder if the switch to full fat everything has something to do with it. Anyway, annoyingly my husband dropped 9lbs and is prancing around like a peacock, feathers all puffed out……..

So, have decided I need to shift my mental state – am still in the “feeling deprived” zone and covet what everyone else around me is eating. My kids had shop bought fish n chips on Friday night and I had a real secret sulk about it !!! But no more, I am going to embrace what I can have and pity the fools (to quote B A Baracas) who are eating badly……
    Have started well today I think – used the Apple and Cinnamon porridge recipe from the new recipe book, but subbed milk for almond milk and used organic oats which really brought the carb count down by 11 from the recipe amount . Feel full and warm and not deprived…….Have a good day everyone x

• posted by StaciB
    on

I lost 4.5lbs in week one. I’m so pleased with that since I didn’t count calories at all.

• posted by Adelski
    on

Good Morning all!! Hope you enjoyed your weekend and a massive well done to everyone who has lost, trying to loose or just changing their way of eating to the med style – well done you are all awesome!!!!!!
    I enjoyed fillet steak last night with English mustard and a huge salad with sun-dried tomatoes yum it was so delicious.
    Official weigh in after 1 week 5.5lb loss – yippppeeee!!! I’m on my way
    Bring on week 2!!!
    Well done everyone xxxxx

• posted by Bonnie11
    on

Hi everyone – I’m starting today 10/10/16. The cookbook is on order and should hopefuly be here tomorrow!

I am borderline pre-diabetic and attended a health workshop at my local hospital last week. It was informative and I came away thinking that portion control is something I need to work on!

I am quite active – this morning I have been for a 4 mile walk with a friend – and I am a yoga teacher so teach/practice yoga 5/6 times a week, which keeps me moving and helps with stress levels etc.

I am concerned about the low calorie intake of this diet, but going to give it a try as I have been told to lose some weight. I do work till 9 pm 2 nights a week and then eat when I get home with my husband. Not sure if that is going to be a good idea now – might need to eat something light beforehand. Any ideas welcome – thank you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.