Starting today, Oct 3rd-fellow Monday starters feel free to join!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Hello fellow dieters! After reading an article last week about the diet in Woman’s World magazine, I’ve decided this looked like a good fit for me (doing the 800 calorie). I live in the US in rural Missouri. I’m a 45 year old wife and mother of 3 girls-2 in college and 1 at home. I teach at a local college and love my job, but it’s fairly sedentary. I’m 5’2″ and starting this morning at 191 lb. Too much for a short girl!
    I started my morning with 2 scrambled eggs and 2 thin strips of bacon and have had TONS of water already (I like drinking water so it’s not hard). For lunch I brought a mixed green salad with some grilled chicken (no dressing) and an apple in case I need something more before going home.
    After entering my foods into myfitnesspal, I see that eggs may not always be the best thing in the morning since they take up so many calories. My problem with this diet (and nearly every other one I”ve tried) is that I am an extremely picky eater. I WANT to like healthier foods, but I have an aversion to certain textures and basically have the sophisticated palate of a 9 year old (pizza, tacos, fried chicken..lol. Hence my weight gain). So part of my journey will be really making a concerted effort to try new foods.
    The POSITIVE is that I really do enjoy working out and have recently joined a local gym to do so more regularly. I will use this thread to post food and workouts and would love to hear from anyone else starting today (or recently) so we can be a support to each other!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome Primadawn

I think the thing about ‘spending’ calories on eggs for breakfast, or whatever, is experimenting a bit to see what you need.

Lots of people seem to start their day with full fat yoghurt and a few berries, which keeps them going.
    I am really happy with some white coffee (counting in the milk) and I don’t actually need or want breakfast till much later – at lunchtime! If I am at home, I have eggs then as a sort of brunch type thing.

So what might be best is to try a few days having a more calorie breakfast and then perhaps not much lunch and a reasonable size dinner.
    Or you might find you are happier having just two main meals per day, with a much lighter third one.

But good luck with trying lots more things – loads of people here have tried stuff very doubtfully and then come on to say how much they liked them, and who knew?

🙂

• posted by princess
    on

Hello Primadawn! I also just read in Woman’s World magazine about this diet, AND also live in rural Missouri. Starting the 800 calorie today and wishing us both luck. Battled with weight all y life! Have lost well with Weight Watchers but have hit a plateau & need a boost to lose another 25 pounds. Here’s hoping we are both successful. Good luck!

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Thanks Igor! Yogurt is one of the things I really want to like but haven’t been able to bring myself to eat. But I’m going to keep trying it! I suspect I will soon just be having tea upon getting up and then having an early lunch and then dinner. I haven’t always been a breakfast eater so that may work better for me!

Princess! Small world! Perhaps we actually know each other! Though “rural Missouri” covers a lot of ground! 😉

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I add a spoonful of chia or flaxseed to my morning yogurt to compensate for the drop in fibre in the rest of the diet.

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Just finished lunch and am now fighting a nasty caffeine headache. When my students leave for the day, I’ll pop out and grab some unsweetened iced tea. Definitely feeling a bit hungry today but I expected to with such a drastic drop in calorie intake. I’ve been eating a TON lately.

• posted by Randam
    on

Just started today too.. Had scrambled eggs for brekkie and the mackerel pate on cucumber slices for lunch…
    I was surprised at how full I was
    I’m following the 8 weeks of recipes in the new recipe book…
    So Thai curry tonight .. First one I have ever made!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome PRIMADAWN! I too was not a lover of yoghurt..never touched the stuff..now i have it every day..the Total Fage Greek full fat is so thick and creamy and is such a treat with a few berries and a sprinkle of nuts! Its nothing like the watery low fat yog which was the only one i’d had til now..it is a lifesaver and its what has kept me on this way of eating for 12 weeks!
    Welcome too PRINCESS and RANDAM to our merry gang of BSDers! XX

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Yowzer, I’ll look for that brand. I really REALLY want to like it! Randam, good luck to you as we start this journey!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

PRIMA,Make sure you get the full fat not the0%!
    Supermarket shelves are full of nonfat/ low fat yog…and comparatively little full fat
    The full fat Total has a blue streak on the top of the tub,the non fat has pink! X

• posted by Papillon
    on

Hi fellow Oct 3rd Starters,
    I’ve also started BSD today. I’m 46 and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May this year. I’ve struggled to come to terms with this and make the necessary diet/lifestyle changes. I’m taking Metformin and Ramipril for my border line high blood pressure.

I’m doing the 800 calorie and following the recipes in the BSD book. Today I’ve eaten yogurt with rhubarb compote for breakfast, courgette and feta salad for lunch and foil baked fish for supper. All where surprisingly good and I didn’t feel too hungry. I couldn’t give up my long black coffee and I’ve not quite managed to drink 2 litres of water. However, I have felt very irritable, hopefully this won’t last too long.

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Welcome Papillon! Glad to have another starter! I’ve been rather hungry today and sort of agitated. Hopefully that will pass soon! Btw, I love your screen name! Very apt as you’re starting a journey of metamorphosis! 🙂
    YOWZER, I looked at my local supermarket and they didn’t have it, but I’ll go to a larger chain store nearby tomorrow!

• posted by Primadawn
    on

I’m finished eating for the day! I came in slightly over 800 calories due to a miscalculation but not too bad!
    I was hungry, as expected, but it wasn’t too bad! I’m excited!

• posted by princess
    on

First day complete, and I lived to tell about it. Had a banana and black coffee for breakfast, then ate salads for lunch and dinner with calorie-free dressing and grilled chicken. Ending the day with frozen blueberries, topped with Splenda and Cool Whip. Well within the 800 calories. Pretty excited and really was not too hungry, irritable or fatigued.

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Princess, do you eat the blueberries still frozen? I’m such a weirdo with textures. I don’t like blueberries normally because of their texture, but I wonder if I could eat frozen ones…

• posted by princess
    on

I set the frozen blueberries out for about 20 minutes in a small bowl with a teaspoon of Splenda, then serve with a 2-4 Tablespoons of Cool Whip. I like the Cool Whip thawed, but my husband enjoys frozen Cool Whip. Hope this helps.

• posted by Randam
    on

How’s everyone doing today?
    Also not a lover of yoghurt.. I had Greek full fat ( UK peeps from Tesco’s) with berries and seeds for brekkie.
    I took the berries (strawbs, rasps, blue) out of the freezer last night and defrosted in the fridge….they had a lovely mixed berry juice by the time I used them this morning ….

I’m finding full fat IS the way to go to feel fuller longer… It bloomin’ works!

I feel like I’ve been cheated on all the previous diets I’ve done … Especially those that say eat as much as you like of rice and pasta…( Yeah hmmm.. Every couple of hours then! Hahaha!)

Good to meet you all 🙂

• posted by princess
    on

Feeling well this morning after Day #1, AND DOWN ONE POUND! I am not a diabetic, but I do have a lot of inflammation, so am so hoping this plan will with the pain.

• posted by apatch
    on

Hey all..

I started yesterday too…I’d be glad to have a few buddies to check in with from time to time..

I have to say that I found day one really difficult yesterday and think I exceeded my calorie quota (~1000 Cal AND went to bed with a migraine), but finding day two that little bit easier so far. May it continue 🙂

I had the sardine dip with red pepper, celery, cucumber and carrot sticks for lunch today, which was actually quite satisfying (and easy to prepare). Otherwise, i’m trying to hydrate and stave off the hunger with herbal teas (big change from coffee and big cups of really milky tea!).

It’s good to meet everyone too!

• posted by Silverngold
    on

Hi all. I too started on 3 Oct. Okay so far. No hunger pangs unless I stay up too late then the rumbling can be a bit much. For me, a drink of water drowns it. Had an unintended pre regime boost last week with a tummy bug that laid me out for a day. Could not believe 2lbs dropped off in just that short a time. Hoping for good things after a week but we shall see as I am not being too strict just yet. Break myself in slowly, as it were.

• posted by Victorir
    on

Hello everyone, I started yesterday too, the 3rd, on the 800 calories a day!
    I think I am used to grazing and snacking in the afternoons which is when I’m really feeling hungry! I have to walk on the school run so that helps distract me, found need to drink lots more water otherwise I don’t feel too great.
    This morning I had portobello mushrooms with goats cheese and I found it hard work to eat. I’m going to try the Greek yoghurt, I’ve stocked up on it and nuts and apples.
    I’m determined to see this through as I’m Prediabetic. Had gestational diabetes with each child so I know what insulin and hypos are like and I’m desperate to avoid it if I can! I’ve had one test result as top end pre diabetes and one as diabetes so end of November I re test.
    Good luck everyone! Hope you’ve all got something tasty planned for evening meal? X

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Good morning all! PRINCESS, thanks for the clarification on the berries!
    I thought I’d wake up famished this morning, but I didn’t! Hooray! In fact, didn’t even feel like breakfast, so just had some green tea and a large glass of water and I’m feeling good! Plus that saves more calories for lunch, which I felt like I needed yesterday as I was rather hungry in the afternoon.
    Welcome aboard, APATCH and SILVERNGOLD! Glad to have more Oct 3 starters to help keep us all accountable!
    RANDAM, full fat’s where it’s at! 🙂

• posted by apatch
    on

Left over courgetti bolognese for dinner tonight. I used to eat quite a lot of pasta and was always skeptical about the idea of courgetti….but I actually found myself enjoying it (and feeling relatively satisfied)!

• posted by Victorir
    on

Hey apatch, I hope your headaches better this morning? From what I’ve read I think first few days are through estate headaches common, as your body adjusts, try drink as much water as u can. Hope you’re feeling ok today!
    Well done silverngold and princess on weight loss already! Wow!! Good going!
    How often is everyone weighing? I was thinking of weekly, as I have to walk to scales in drs, hit my 10,000 steps then, my scales at home but dodgey. Maybe I should weigh more often? X

• posted by apatch
    on

Thanks Primadawn 🙂 Glad to be on board!

• posted by Randam
    on

Hi Victorir

I was thinking if weekly too, but Princess’s update reminded me that in the book that kicks this diet off- it does encourage you to weigh daily…

I think I’ll do that tomorrow morning….

• posted by princess
    on

This is so exciting, seeing other new members starting the same day and posting well-wishes and suggestions. I knew not to give up my two cups of coffee (drinking it milk free though) in the morning when also giving up sugar. I think either could cause headaches. Hope everyone is able to move past their discomforts. Right or wrong, I weigh each morning–seems to keep me more on-track.

• posted by apatch
    on

Hi Victorir,

Migraine is mostly better today…they actually tend to come about because of low blood sugar (such as not eating enough in a day, skipping meals etc), so I think it’s just adjusting to the much lower calorie intake. Trying to keep the fluids up, hopefully that will help too!

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Oh I nearly forgot about the scale! I weighed this morning also and was down 2 pounds! Water, I know, but nice to see the numbers moving already!

• posted by Victorir
    on

Ah maybe I will weigh more often then, as would be nice (hopefully to have lost something) and feel it’s worth it and working!
    I’m going to have a cup of tea now before go on school run, handful of nuts maybe rather than biscuit hehe, as I’m feeling hungry. Had the plough mans lunch at time felt v full but think it’s just this time of day, I’d always snack and get a sugar pick me up!
    In glad you’re feeling better today, yes low sugar levels can make you feel pretty lousy can’t they. Hopefully this time next week we will all be feeling the good effects! X

• posted by Victorir
    on

Oh couegetti for dinner apatch yum! I’ve still got to try that, close your eyes and pretend it’s pasta! Hehe! I come from an Italian family, so the med diet ok but the lack of pasta…hard going!!
    I am doing the coconut milk lime chicken tonight, adapted for me and rest as normal for the family. (It’s pudding time that’s hard whilst on 800 cals..as I’m not having one!)
    Well done everyone, sounds like going really well. 😊

• posted by Victorir
    on

Thanks randam I think I will weight more often too 😊 Might be first time in a long time that the scales show a loss!

• posted by princess
    on

Sounds like we are all off to a pretty good start! And, guess what–not paying a monthly fee to participate! Hope the hungriest & headaches subside soon. Love this communication & support!

• posted by Adelski
    on

Hello to all & hope everyone is well. I also started yesterday after returning from a few weeks in the sun, overindulging in most things and feeling very embarrassed in a bikini on the beach. Think I have remained within my 800cal but think it is very important to plan ahead so as not to be caught out.
    Today had 2 scrambled eggs with vine tomatoes and spinach, skipped lunch as really busy at work but sipped on peppermint tea and then For dinner the duck leg lettuce wraps which were actually lovely – cooked the duck last night and took off the bone then just heated through tonight. I have nearly 3 stone to loose after gaining weight in my last year at University, becoming pregnant and then giving up smoking as soon as I found out but that was over 10 years ago now so cannot use that as an excuse anymore!! Had a headache late yesterday and also today but now subsiding – I think for me weekends will be a problem with the temptation of wine/people popping round etc… But going to really try to stick at this and stay very positive and motivated. Good luck to everyone – just think how our lives will change for the better if we manage to actually do this!!!! Xx

• posted by apatch
    on

Welcome Adelski!

How did you cook the duck? I’ve been quite headachey since yesterday, but it feels as if it’s subsiding now too. Certainly I think today was that little bit easier than yesterday on the whole.

I too keep thinking how amazing this will be if I actually pull this off! (which I will of course 🙂 )

• posted by Adelski
    on

HI Apatch thanks, Recipie is on page 136 of 8 week blood sugar recipie book but basically marinated duck legs in soy sauce whilst oven was heating to 200 and then turned down to 160 and cooked for 1 hour turning regularly. Recipe is in the 8 week book and very very easy. Lettuce leave replace pancakes but allows hoisin sauce which for me is the best bit 😋 Definitely worth a try !!

• posted by Adelski
    on

Oops!!! must remember to spell check !! Sorry guys

• posted by Victorir
    on

Good morning all! The duck sounds delicious!
    Agree with planning ahead! Stops grabbing something carby.
    It’s great on here, all the supportive comments and tips. Well done everyone, we can pull this off! Think once we are into the second week we will really be feeling this is working and we can do it the whole way through!
    I did the exercise bike routine from in the book yesterday too, 10 mins with one 10sec sprint, was good.
    Is anyone else not sleeping well since starting? X

• posted by Randam
    on

Morning everyone… So I stood on the scales just now

5lbs off!!! In two days!!!

Yes I know it’s water.. But those 5lbs are not going back on again!
    What a boost!
    I’ve not had headaches.. But I have had the sleep problem Victorir…..although that could also be down to the fact I’m moving house next Weds … Hahahaha!

Well done everyone so far… Starting this is the hardest part,
    and thanks for being on this thread/forum… I echo everyone’s comments… Great bunch of people xx .

• posted by Adelski
    on

Morning all you lovely people, how is it going?? Well done Randam 5lb off, that is a result. I’ve weighed in 3.5lb less this morning which is a wonderful feeling.
    Headache gone too which is a relief!! agree with Victorir, sleep pattern has been slightly disrupted. Not really hungry this morning so I’m starting with a good strong coffee and milk from my allowance and yogurt and fruit for lunch so I can enjoy a lovely dinner…..lots of healthy things in the fridge.
    Well done guys lets keep each other going!! Xxx

• posted by apatch
    on

Great work everyone!

And I agree – it’s great to have this little support group, with so much encouragement, information sharing and positivity. So…thank you all 🙂

I weighed 3.5lb less this morning too – BUT a few seconds after I jumped on the scales the battery went flat, so now I’m not so sure how accurate it is. On the plus side, I do think I’m feeling better on the inside already, after having light and fresh foods and very few carbs the last couple of days (I used to eat lots of bread and pasta, and sweet treats before). It kind of feels already as though I’m running on cleaner energy, if that makes sense.

All the best for today! x

• posted by Victorir
    on

Wow well done everyone! A really good positive start to the day!
    I weighed this morning, lost 2lbs since starting Monday which I’m pleased with, definately motivated me seeing that to carry on.
    I’ve got a real headache today, thought walk would help. I’m upping my water today, might be from lack of sleep too.
    Interesting to hear some you have also had changes in sleep pattern, phew I’m not alone!
    I had yoghurt with Apple mango and hazelnuts for breakfast was v tasty and I’m not hungry at all since. 😊
    Have a great rest of the day x

• posted by MINX
    on

Morning to all you fellow BSD followers. I started on 3rd October too. I’m 5ft 2″ and weigh in at 169lbs, which is not good for a small girl! Being single (maybe an excuse) I find I was bored in the evening and kept eating. The more I ate the more I wanted. A vicious circle. This has gone on now for a few years. I go to the gym and swim, but counteract all that with my overeating. Well not anymore from Monday, I have stuck to this BSD and feel fine. In fact I feel quite positive as I am forward thinking to losing that 2 stone in 8 weeks. I have had eggs for breakfast as I feel they do fill me up. As a vegetarian I normally add quite a bit of cheese for added taste to my meals, but now I have used a small amount of goats cheese in a omelette with spinach. It was lovely. I have done the skinny spicy bean burgers, they again were quite filling. I am surprised as I do not feel hungry or have that craving where I need food. As of today to heighten my positivity I have lost 4lbs from Monday, it may be water but my clothes as less tight with just that off. It’s the best start to any diet I have been on.
    So good luck to everyone let do it together and get some weight off. x

• posted by Keid
    on

Hi folks, I started Monday too – but only just joined the site, hope it’s ok to join you. Im trying to lose my baby weight but as my youngest is now 2 I’m thinking I can’t really call it baby weight anymore. After reading through I wish I’d weighed myself this morning, would have been a boost to see even a small bit of loss. I’m finding it hard to stick to 800 cals but hoping that as long as I’m not much over and I’m sticking to the principles it’ll be ok. kei x

• posted by apatch
    on

Hi MINX and Keid…welcome to the group!

Just wondering – is anyone else finding it difficult to keep to 20-50g of carb? I think I can manage to keep to the 800 Cal, but I’m finding that even when I think i’m eating really low carbs, they tot up really quickly. Can’t imagine what you’d eat in a day to keep it as low as 20g…

Victorir – sorry to hear about your headache 🙁 hopefully it’ll lift soon..

• posted by bigoldmoosehead
    on

Hi, can I join in ? My husband and I both started on 800 cal BSD on Monday. I have approx 1 st to lose (doesn’t sound too much but it’s just not shifting !), while my husband has at least 2 st to lose. All going well so far. We are religiously sticking to the meal plans in the new BSD recipe book which I think is helping us focus. No time spent with head in the fridge, pondering what to cook for dinner…..Loving everyone’s enthusiasm and support for each other.

• posted by shalimar
    on

bigoldmoosehead and hubby ….. welcome …. and good luck!!

• posted by Randam
    on

Hi bigoldmoosehead!

I’m doing the meal plans in the new book too! Trying out lots of new tastes and ingredients.. So far there hasn’t been one I don’t like…

Having halloumi kebabs for lunch… I’m a halloumi first timer…. And I’m loving it

Hi minx and keid too.. Nice to meet you

• posted by bigoldmoosehead
    on

Thanks for kind welcome shalimar & Randam.

Randam – I love, love, LOVE halloumi. Perhaps a little too much, hence my stubborn 14lbs that won’t go !! I agree re: the recipe book, everything tried so far has been delicious. My husband drew the line at smoked fish pate however !!

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Good morning all! I’m so pleased that we have had so many people join our little support group! I really enjoy the camaraderie and the accountability is helpful to keep me on track! Welcome!
    Yesterday I came in at 815 calories but well under on carbs. APATCH I’ve done extreme low carb dieting before where I stayed under 20 total carbs per day and it’s not TERRIBLY hard if you’re focusing on low carb (basically meat and veg) but it didn’t have a calorie restriction, only the carbs, so it was easier. I, too, find it more difficult on the BSD because you can’t just eat more meat to fill up because of the calorie restriction. I’m limiting fruit to a bare minimum and trying to make vegetables a higher percentage of my diet, but I don’t like a lot of vegetables, so it’s difficult!
    I forgot to step on the scale this morning so I’m not sure where my loss is, but will check tomorrow morning! It’s so encouraging to see those losses right away!

Please log in or register to post a reply.