Starting today, Oct 3rd-fellow Monday starters feel free to join!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by apatch
    on

Really struggling here today. I’m just so hungry….is anyone else finding hunger to be a problem?

I can do this, I can do this….

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just popping myhead in,havent time to read everything..hope yr week is going well everyone!
    APATCH i find some days are like this and others are a breeze…a spoonful ofsomething full fat might help…yogurt or peanut butter,or a bouillon drink. Taking cals n carbs into account of course!
    I think this time of day is the hardest and trickiest!Not yet dinnertime but lunch a distant memory..
    I divert my mind by getting involved in a physical task like a few chores..uses calories,takes my attention elsewhereand brings me closer to my next mealtime! X

• posted by apatch
    on

Thanks Yowzer49 πŸ™‚ I found yesterday much easier, but today is hard going. I think I may have had too light a dinner last night and now my body is screaming at me!

• posted by Adelski
    on

Hi everyone great posts today – I was so excited to get home from work tonight and read all the positive comments and words of encouragement – well done everyone!!!…
    I have really upped my veg and only had a very small amount of fruit since Monday.
    I am actually feeling a little less bloated with the clean eating – going to try the Thai Red Curry tomorrow from new recipe book πŸ˜‹ Keep going everyone and welcome to all new friends πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—xxx

• posted by Adelski
    on

Apatch – remember your 3.5lb loss on the scales πŸ˜…, drink plenty of water or sip mint tea I really think it helps πŸ‘

• posted by Yorklass59
    on

HI, started this on Monday and despite my tummy rumbling like crazy and the urge for a G&T right now, I am holding fast! I’m in North Yorkshire which is so beautiful. I’m getting to see some lovely sunrises as I have started going to a 6.30am outdoor fitness session. I am so unfit compared to my fellows! And exercise is not my thing at all; but I have got these 8 weeks in my sights and am determined to find out if it will work for me.
    What I can’t find is how many calories are in semi-skimmed milk in a cup of coffee? Anybody know? I’ve allowed myself one per day which is difficult to manage whilst at work!
    I haven’t been able to weigh myself at the start but I plan to see what happens to my clothing and have made a deal with myself not to buy anything until I get to the end. πŸ™‚

• posted by Victorir
    on

Hi bigoldmoosehead, minx and Keid and adelski and everyone!
    This evening I’m feeling fairly full and headache finally shifted I drank well over the two litres of water, used bottle to see, as wasn’t keep track of glasses, and then tea etc on top. Think I wasn’t drinking enough.
    I love halloumi too hehe! Hadn’t eaten it for ages until started this med diet.
    Hope you’re all well? Here’s hoping to a better sleep tonight.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

HI YORKLASS and welcome! V v impressed about yr early morning exercise class! πŸ‘πŸ»
    According to mynetdiary,which i log my cals/ carbs on every day..2 teaspoons of ss milk is 5 cals,1 carb
    Not sure if two teaspoons is enough for you but you can hopefully work it out from that.
    Good luck! Keep calling by coz lots of support and friendship on here! X
    Ps i empathise with yr need for a G n T!

• posted by Randam
    on

Adelski- Thai red curry was amazing! … really filling x

• posted by Victorir
    on

Apatch I feel hungry too! Mainly around 2-3pm when I would normally have a snack, something carby/sweet to get me through, but I’m missing it. Today I’ve just drunk instead. If really hungry I have had an apple sliced, or celery stick. Think go by how you feel, if really hungry maybe something small to ease it. Miso soup? Something low cal and filling, or up your protein in day? Then distraction, keep busy. You can definitely do this!! I think these first few days will be the hardest. 😊

Keid, my daughter will be 2 next month and I too am needing to shift the stubborn baby fat, or well toddler fat now hehe. I am bigger now than after she was born, as my blood sugars crept up and I layed down abdominal fat, kept thinking why am I getting bigger? Apart from carbs and sweets hehe, turned out prediabetic. I’m really hoping to turn this around as the diabetes nurse said to me…don’t be upset when you get another high reading and we diagnose diabetes… it was amazing they didn’t mention this diet at all?

• posted by Victorir
    on

Hi yorkglass, that sounds amazing, especially with today’s gorgeous autumn weather!
    I looked up coffee with semi skimmed milk on my Fitbit, it says 6cals.
    I have to admit I’ve not been counting my teas with milk…

• posted by apatch
    on

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, it has really helped me today. I somehow managed to last until dinner (~8.20pm – late!), with herbal teas and distractions…for dinner I had a baked chicken breast with chopped red pepper, olives and chilli (p. 237) and since I had some calories left over, a pile of broccoli (which was heavenly). Feeling full now and so glad I persevered today. Thank you πŸ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

You survived APATCH πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½ Another day under yr belt..! Well done on holding out for a late dindins..glad you enjoyed it and have a full tum..you now have to say the famous words ( ive just had to say them too,after 796 cals, 34 carbs)… I hate saying them but it must be done!
    ….The KItchen Is Now Closed!….xx

• posted by Old cyclist
    on

I’m on day 3 , and it’s been hard, I’m trying to plan ahead especially as I have 3 night shifts coming up.
    I have already noticed my chin isn’t quite as “double ” , as before, my belly fat feels less , but I haven’t measured it, , and my sides seem a bit slimmer, I have a horrible fat tummy, , an apron in fact, which I am hoping to loose. , good luck everyone 😊

• posted by Adelski
    on

Yea Apatch you did it!!! Well doneπŸ˜„
    Thanks Randam for the heads up on the curry – looking forward to it already.
    Victorir , I commend you as your daughter is still only young, my son will be 10 in December and I’m still using that for my excuse haha ….. Until now 😜
    Good luck everyone!! hope the scales are kind to you all in the morning xxxx

• posted by apatch
    on

Thanks Adelski and Yowzer49 – I did do it! *feeling mildly proud*

my son is 8 now and I find it hard to keep up with him in the playground….not for much longer πŸ™‚

Old Cyclist – that sounds like a great result already!

• posted by Adelski
    on

Good morning all, hope all headaches are gone and sleep is improving. Weighed in 😝 another 1lb off this morning which is 4.5lb so far – very pleased indeed. Hope you all have a happy time on the scales today xxx

• posted by Victorir
    on

Good morning all! Headache gone yippee so I’m going to continue to up my water intake. 😊
    Think it’s inspirational that some of you guys are doing this to improve your health for your children’s sakes, it’s got to be worth doing it for that alone! My son is 6, and innocently tells me every now and then my tummy is fat, I’m looking forward to that being a thing of the past in few months time.
    I’m seeing my Aunty today who has done the 5:2 diet for months and looks very well on it.
    Hope everyone’s feeling well this morning and good luck for the 800cal day! X
    Adelski that’s an amazing loss already wow!!
    Oldcyclist that must be tough with night shifts, think you’re right to plan ahead for what yourll eat. Wish you lots luck, as sleep deprevation alone can make you feel funny and hungry. You can do it!

• posted by apatch
    on

Morning everyone πŸ™‚

0.8 kg less today (~5lb in total)! I know it’s probably mostly water weight, but it’s still really encouraging and is really helping me to keep going past these first few days..

• posted by Keid
    on

Morning! Stepped on the scales this morning and was amazed to have lost 5lb. So pleased and such a morale boost. I’ve got to go out for dinner this eve with my family – already checked the menu and found a low carb option. May be over on cals today but it’s a one off so not stressing about it. Staying off the wine will be tough. So worth it though. Hope everyone else is having a good day x

• posted by apatch
    on

New favourite breakfast – spinach and pea omelette (p.188) – was really tasty and seems to have kept me going really well until lunchtime!

• posted by taffygirl
    on

Hi all – I am another 3rd Oct starter, bit shy to join you all online initially but your messages and inspiration have been amazing. I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic (as far as I know) but need to lose a good few stone to be a healthy weight. Now I am in my mid 40’s its not about looks anymore but I know I’m in the danger zone for a lot of nasty illnesses that could be caused by being overweight. Anyway cleared my cupboards last weekend and did a shop only for the good stuff I needed for this week. Planned every meal in a diary for the week ahead and off I went. I have always had a really sweet tooth and cakes and sweet things plus bread and pasta were things in life I though I couldn’t live without and was worried about craving. Amazingly I’m not! I weighed for the first time this morning and had lost 4lbs! I too felt really headachey on Monday but that was gone my midday on Tuesday. Now I just feel so full of energy its unreal! I’m not hungry nor am I ‘craving’ anything – its like a switch in my head has been flicked! Will keep checking in with you all as, like I said, the support I’ve been reading has been truly inspirational

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

Hello everyone *friendly wave*
    I too started on 3rd October and have lost 1kg so far which is great. I’m not doing this particularly for weight (I’ve a BMI of 22 and am very active), but my love of chocolate, coke and crisps has now caught up with me. I’m 41, have 3 young children. I read the book and took tests to find out my cholesterol and glucose levels and was shocked to find out they are in the pre-diabetic (borderline diabetic) range. I feel like such a fool! Basically I’m Lorna Norma from page 51!

So far so good and loving the recipes. I’ve come off sugar before but this time I know I need to stay off it. That will be the hard part. It sounds like you’re all a motivated bunch of people so I’ll be checking in every now and then. Great to ‘meet’ you all :))

• posted by Randam
    on

Hi Taffygirl ( I’m in Swansea!) and Major Mummy… good to meet you

I stood on the scales this morning and put 1lb on??? What is that about??? Water fluctuation I suppose as I have stuck to the diet rigidly.
    Let me know if anyone has had the same experience

However, I am undeterred… . And maybe shouldn’t weigh every day after all!!!

Made the hummus today – ewwww first one I don’t like

And my fish cakes looked more like scrambled egg with fish but tasted awesome anyway!

Slept much better last night too πŸ™‚

I’m so encouraged by you all xx

• posted by taffygirl
    on

Hi Randam

I’m a bit further west than you in sunny Pembrokeshire!
    Don’t be deterred by a 1lb, you are doing so well and have been inspiring me all week
    As for hummus I could live on the stuff but have never managed to make it as nice myself as I can buy!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi RANDAM..yes that happened to me..1 1/2 lbs on when I had been soooooo good and hadnt veered for one minute from 800 cals/ always under 50 g carbs a day! But these things happen in mysterious ways,so i gritted my teeth and carried on,and the following week it had gone,plus another pound or two. So if you know youve been ” good” just keep the faith and it WILL sort itself out…could be time of the month,could be you haven’t been to the loo for a day or two or one of a myriad of reasons..just dont be disheartened ! X

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Morning all! RANDAM, I got on the scale this morning to a TWO pound gain! Discouraging, but I know it can fluctuate a bit. Going back over my food diary, I may be a little high in salt intake, so that may be part of the problem and also…TMI, I know…with a lower carb diet, things don’t quite “move” as much as they used to…so I need to pick up some magnesium today to get things back to “regular”. lol.
    Welcome MAJOR MUMMY and TAFFYGIRL and anyone else new that I’ve missed!
    I still had quite a headache yesterday and can already feel it coming on again today. I’m used to having loads of caffeine and am now having none, or very close to none. I’m trying to just tough it out until I get past the withdrawals.
    I’m really trying today to not “snack” at all and just have my meals and tons of water. Wish me luck!

• posted by Seashell
    on

Hi. A little late to the party if you don’t mind me crashing. I started on Monday too and just joined the site. I’m a married, very busy mother of two teenage+ boys and been struggling with weight for years. Lost a little over 6 lbs already, hope it continues!

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Welcome SEASHELL! The more the merrier!

Finished lunch nearly 2 hours ago and now I’m in that yucky phase where I would normally be snacking. Ughhh…I hate it. I’m not a bit hungry, just craving something to be munching on. Must. Break. Habit.
    One thing I did notice today that was fantastic, was that after 3 days of no sugar, my baby carrots tasted exquisitely sweet! As if they were filled with sugar! Yum!

• posted by Adelski
    on

Good evening everyone, hope you have all had a FANTASTIC day. I’ve just made the Thai red curry page 132 – Randam you are right, it is totally delicious and filling – my hubby thinks it’s amazing too, will definitely be having that again very soon.
    Going to attempt a run tomorrow morning as I have a morning off and want to start bringing some exercise into my life again. Really sorry to hear about your gains guys but it will be temporary I’m sure and all will level out don’t be disheartened you are all doing brilliantly. For me my difficulty will start tomorrow as Friday, Saturday and Sunday are usually wine days for me so I will find it particularly difficult to break a long time habit!! On the upside the weight loss should be a good enough excuse to exist 😳😳😳
    Think how amazing we will look in our Christmas outfits if we keep this up – WHICH WE WILL……
    Stay strong everyone we are in this for the long haul πŸ‘—πŸ‘”πŸ‘―πŸ’ƒ XXX

• posted by Adelski
    on

Sorry I meant good enough excuse to resist haha…. See what I mean haha……I love the vino 🍷🍷🍷 x

• posted by apatch
    on

I had the chicken and asparagus salad (p.210) for dinner tonight. It was super tasty and for the first time this week I actually feel full AND satisfied (could also be because I accidentally used creme fraiche instead of sour cream – ah well!). Highly recommended!

I’ve ordered the BSD Recipe Book, hopefully it’ll arrive tomorrow and I will definitely look out for the red curry. Thanks for the heads up!

I can already taste the natural sweetness in lots of the foods I’m eating too. What a change already.

Totally empathise about the wine days Adelski…xx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I can’t remember if I introduced myself on here or not, but although I started the Fast 800 on Monday I feel like a bit of a fraud joining the Starting the BSD thread when I have actually been following one of the less extreme programs since May 😊 I am not expecting any carb monster problems as I have been keeping my carb low since then on a 4:3 version of the diet. If anyone is interested I have started a diary thread on the Fast 800 forum, which I intend to use to log my whole journey. I have been on various diets since Feb 2015 and am currently just over 6 stone lighter than I was then. This is the first diet that really feels like it will be sustainable as a way of life when the calorie counting stops. Since Monday I have lost 2.5 pounds.

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Welcome MIXNMATCH! I’ve been reading your diary thread! I’m a lurker! πŸ˜‰

• posted by apatch
    on

Hi mixnmatch πŸ™‚

you’re very welcome. and wow – 6 st since Feb last year is amazing. you should be so proud of yourself. my goal through this is 2st and that feels insurmountable…

do you mind if i ask, did you experience much weight loss on the 4:3 version of the diet?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I was losing weight at around half a stone a month, but that was with a much more relaxed style than the Fast 800. I had a couple of weeks where I still tracked what I was eating but went back to eating bread, cake etc. and even drinking beer and wine, (major birthday, my half century, followed by a week camping in France.) I put a few pounds back on but immediately on restarting the 4:3 they went quickly again.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hello everyone. I also started on Monday but would like to join in with the chat. I’ve enjoyed reading the posts and feel encouraged by everyone’s weight loss. I would like to lose at least 3 stone so I really need to get into this. I find fasting easier than counting calories so I think I’ll give up breakfast for now. See how that goes.

• posted by Adelski
    on

Mixnmatch well done, that’s absolutely amazing!!! Low carb obviously does work πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

• posted by Adelski
    on

Hey Cara54 – welcome πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€— I agree with your comment about fasting also – today I just had coffee at breakfast and a chopped up apple for lunch with plenty of water and peppermint tea throughout the day but enjoyed a really satisfying dinner of Thai chicken curry and then Greek yogurt with just and berries both from recepie book – totally delicious and very achievable for me a I have a very hectic job so usually eat on the hop anyway which isn’t good for you!!
    If I have a decent portion at dinner I don’t feel deprived or hungry before bed although I know this method would not suit everyone X

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Welcome Cara!

• posted by Meftl
    on

Helloooo! I thought I’d join this merry gang too as I’m struggling a little with sticking to the plan. I was doing rather well and then a series of birthdays happened.. Oh dear. So I start again tomorrow morning. Got about 8kg to loose. Need to be a little more accurate in my counting too I feel. Wish me luck! Oh, and the same to you too! πŸ™‚

• posted by apatch
    on

Hi Meftl!

I hear you re: being more accurate with the counting…can be a little prone to approximation myself and need to refine things a little too. All the best with kick-starting again tomorrow morning – you’ve totally got this!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Passed another milestone this morning with my first body fat reading from my scales of less than 40 (39.9) Feeling a step closer to my Christmas goals πŸ˜€

• posted by Adelski
    on

Congratulations Mixnmatch that’s brilliant and a fantastic milestone to give you a boost !! πŸ‘πŸ˜‡
    My weight has remained the same this morning but still very happy with my progress so far 😍
    Good luck today everyone xx

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

Wahey, well done MixnMatch! Really chuffed for you.
    Thanks Adelski – don’t worry with the same weight, probably a big drop on its way.

Struggling this morning (day 5) as just feel sooooo hungry (I thought this was meant to pass on day 2/3?!). Sigh. I could honestly eat a small child and wash it down with a litre of coke…. But I know that wouldn’t be very good on lots of levels.

Going round to a friends this evening for supper so I’ve decided to have one meal ‘off’ (they’re cooking pizza for the children, how can I decline that?!) so have to be extra good today to make up for it. Also made an appointment to see the Dr to get more accurate readings on my blood sugar and cholesterol levels. I’m hoping the home kits are lying!! However, 2kgs lost in 4 days so I’m feeling much better and it’s very motivating knowing I’m really going to do it this time. Will be reading this thread to help with the support – thanks Guys!

• posted by apatch
    on

Struggling here too Major Mummy, feeling hungry. I used to eat really large portion sizes, needing the feeling of being really really full (probably an emotional thing), so it’s taking a while to get used to lower carbs and less food overall. I imagine it could take a while for me. Though I’m still hungry much of the time, I’m not quite so hungry as I thought I would be. Just trying to keep busy and keep the fluids up, I’m having lots of nice herbal teas which I think is helping.

On the plus side, I managed to get through a night of baking last night (for work) without taking even a single bite, so I was pretty happy with the old will power πŸ™‚

Also, I’m really feeling as though I’ve learnt a lot already in only 4 days about food and what is in the food I’m eating, carbs, calories, nutrition, portion size etc. I’m finding the meal planning is really helping (I’m usually terrible at meal planning and tend to waste a lot of food that goes uncooked and thrown away etc), so I’m finding that being so focussed lends to much more sustainable living (for me). Gotta keep reminding myself of all these extra little positives πŸ™‚

• posted by Randam
    on

Majormummy- keep going… we’ve nearly done a week now xx
    And Mixnmatch- go you!…

Hi Cara and Meftl
    Welcome!!

Apatch… that IS impressive… baking and no eating!… I really don’t have that will power!

I so know what you mean about being more aware of ingredients now… I moved onto sparkling water to keep my hunger at bay-
    But I’ve just learned that it has 11 times more salt than still water…
    Salt triggers my tinnitus and I wondered why my ears had been ringing all week!! … now I know!

Scales today showed a 2lb loss from yesterday so that was the 1lb gain plus an extra 1lb off.
    Making my total loss 6lb since Monday.

I realised too that I hadn’t introduced myself and really should seeing as we are all getting along so well.
    I’m 45 single mum.. to my 20 yr old son who is now away at Uni. I work full time too
    I’ve been on every diet there is- with varying levels of success ..
    I’m not prediabetic… but my mum was T2 diabetic and I don’t want to be!
    And I’ve piled on the pounds again – I’m 5ft 7 and at the start of the week was 14st 10.
    I’d like to lose 2 stone …to get back to a Uk size 12
    I don’t want to be skinny.. as I can’t maintain it

What attracted me to this diet was exactly as others have said… I think it’s a real lifestyle change and I can just increase portions etc (and have wine again! 🍷🍷 ) once I achieve my goal

So… I have a biggie next week… I move house on Weds …I’m determined to stick to the diet.. I just need to be super organised
    If you have any ideas- let me know

This forum is brilliant and will help me through my house move !

• posted by apatch
    on

Thanks Randam πŸ™‚

I hadn’t introduced myself either…I’m a 38 year old single mum to an 8 year old boy. I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic as far as I know, but my maternal grandmother was T2 diabetic, my dad is T2 diabetic and my younger sister was diagnosed as prediabetic. I’m 5ft 3 and ~12st (76kg) and realised recently that I am technically in the “obese” range, if you go by BMI (only slightly over BMI of 30). My weight has crept up over the last couple of years.

Though, if I’m to go down to what is supposedly considered the top end of my healthy weight range (64kg), that’s actually less than I have ever been able to sustain for any period since high school. Similarly to Randam, I don’t want to be superskinny either (I never have been and I wouldn’t be able to sustain it either). Compared to my sisters, I’m naturally actually quite a curvy shape, but I’d just like to be a healthy sz 12 and feel as though I have more energy than I do now.

Also, I’ve been completely hooked on carbs since forever and I have tried a few times to kick the carb habit (without success) over the last few years. Though when I look back, I realise that I’ve been under a lot of personal stress for a really long time (settling down these days, hopefully), so I think I just wasn’t in the right head space to really take this on with any real chance of success – I like that Michael Mosley emphasises that aspect of the process in his book and I’m only really realising now how this applies to me (even while I write this post). I’m not going to give myself any more grief for not being able to do this until now πŸ™‚

• posted by Victorir
    on

Hello to all the newest people to have joined! It’s definitely a great mood booster having this friendly group to catch up on and see how everyone’s finding it. Not long until we are in the second week…whoop whoop!
    I haven’t weighed myself since weds, will do it on Monday morning… massive well done to all the brilliant weight losses, it’s really positive to be seeing such results already.
    I had a major set back last night… my husband came home from working abroad with sweets, my son was delighted! I thought I would be able to resist but ended up eating loads of sweeties! I felt sick and had the worst night sleep yet! It was silly of me, I guess the only good thing is, it has shown me how my body reacts now to sugar! So it’s put me right off doing that again.
    I also pick up a copy of the recipe book today, will try the red Thai chicken too. 😊 As all the family can eat it, perfect!

• posted by apatch
    on

Victorir – what a great learning experience to see the effect that sugar is having on you already πŸ™‚

Recipe book was literally delivered to me at work 5 mins ago! Very excited to have in time for the weekend and I’m definitely going to check out the thai red curry also. I notice that the recipes break down the nutrition per serve too – calories, carbs, fat, protein etc – something I felt was missing from the recipes provided in the BSD book. Hopefully that will help with keeping track of the carb consumption each day…

Please log in or register to post a reply.