Starting today, Oct 3rd-fellow Monday starters feel free to join!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lankylady
    on

Well one week in and 7lbs lighter – Yay ๐Ÿ™‚ Sure it is mainly water but certainly motivating. Welcome Bonnie11, I have used the book for all meals and found that following the recipes helps with the portion control. Planning the week’s meals and making sure I had all the ingredients so no excuses really helped. Plus my partner can eat all the same food, he just adds a jacket potato or ready cooked rice.

• posted by Victorir
    on

Good Monday to you all! Week 2…here we come!!
    I weighed myself today, in week 1 I’ve lost 1kg. I’m really happy to see the numbers going down for the first time in a long time! I’m not feeling v well though so don’t know if it’ll help or hinder things.
    Well done on all the amazing losses!
    Great hearing everyone’s news and what recipes are working or not..I’m going avoid the muffins with courgette in hehe, I’m going try the pancakes with almond flour..not cooked with it before. Only used ground almonds so will see!
    I’m going leave it a few days until next weigh, but keep going everyone!!
    Welcome Bonnie11, good luck starting, I guess 9pm after work, guessing a yoga class is late…you could do the 5:2 approach and on rest days do 800 cals and on evenings you finish late just eat med but not calorie controlled? i don’t know hehe it gets to around 5pm and I need eat dinner as I’m hungry!
    Start of week 2 I feel energised and tired (sleep patterns out since doing this) in equal measures! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Victorir
    on

Oh bigoldmoosehead your post made me smile…if my family were eating fish n chips around me I’d have the hump too! I can literally smell fish n chips and really fancy it now hehe!
    Well done for being strong and carrying on doing this for yourself! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

Yep definitely agree using recipe book and weighing out grams of cheese etc helps see portion sizes. If I wasn’t using the book as a guide I’d be over.

Wowzers lankylady over 7lbs in a week is amazing!!
    I think I’ve lost 2lb..it’s 1kg..that’s a very impressive amount! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Keep it up everyone have a good rest of the day x

• posted by Heather Patricia
    on

Hi All, I have lost 8 lbs in a week and I’m thrilled! Because, eventhough, I have a horrible head cold and no energy my motivation carried me through and I honestly never felt hungry! How is everybody else who started on 3rd October doing?

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

Wow, well done everybody. Some great losses. I’ve lost around 2kgs in the first week which I’m really pleased with.
    However, I’m feeling dreadful this week. I’ve a sore throat that has given me 4 very broken nights so I’m just exhausted. I’ve also got the beginnings of a migraine I think (spots in eyes) and a random pain in my knee that came on this morning. I’m really beginning to wonder if surviving on 800 calories a day is actually doing me any good when I’m looking after 3 young children on my own (hubby currently overseas for 3 months).
    Sorry, having a bad day. Is anyone else feeling this dreadful?!

• posted by Disney Nut
    on

Wowser!!! to all of you who lost in your first week. Makes me all giddy for tomorrow morning (my week 1 official weigh in).
    Love reading about everyone’s food choices. I am being very prudent and sticking to the recipe book for the first 2 weeks until I have the hang of things. Must admit that we had 6 days of food where we liked every meal.
    My secret goal is to be able to ride the “seven dwarfs mine” ride in Magic Kingdom without the bar that come down digging into my thighs ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi everyone. Very well done to all. Some really good results today. I’ve gained 1lb over the weekend. Not too worried though as I haven’t been as careful as I could be. Lesson learned hopefully.
    MAJORMUMMY I think perhaps you should eat a bit more if you’re struggling and feeling unwell. Three young children is hard work on a good day. You need to keep your energy levels up. Rest if you can.xx

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Good morning all! Official week 1 weigh in shows a 6 pound loss for me! I’m very pleased as I bounced up a pound or two on a few days, and then back down. I’m still fighting the terrible headache that I thought was diet-related but it’s hung on so long that I think something else may be going on. I also have some tummy upset, so maybe I’m just getting sick.
    I’m extremely hungry this morning for some reason. Drinking lots of water to squelch it. Maybe a few almonds too.
    Well done to everyone on your losses! Excited to see what week 2 brings!

• posted by Noodles
    on

Hi Guys
    I am starting today but whilst I am used to low calorie dieting I need to get my head around low carbs.
    Going to,order the recipe book but for now will take recipes from the BSD book which I read last week.
    Well done to you that have just completed your first week. I am setting an initial target of sticking to it for 4 weeks. I will keep you informed.

• posted by Seashell
    on

Good afternoon everyone. Congrats to those with their losses. Hang in there to those not feeling so well yet, and welcome newcomers. I had a wonderful and surprising first week, down 9.8 lbs so far.
    Trying to get going with a better exercise schedule this week and impatiently waiting for the cookbook I ordered. Found adding lemon to my water very helpful as that when I drink very much plain I tend to not feel so well. The lemon seems to help counter act this.

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

Thanks CARA54. I need to be realistic I guess. Just had a piece of lemon drizzle cake and actually it gave me the boost I think I needed. I won’t beat myself up about it! Plus I think I burnt it straight off mowing the lawn!
    Well done PRIMADAWN – 6lbs is fab! ๐Ÿ‘
    Good luck for tomorrow DISNEYNUT ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Keid
    on

Hello all. My loss for last week was 6lb and an inch off my waist which is great. I did have a small piece of my daughters birthday cake yesterday and a small prosecco but back on the wagon today. I got back into a pair of my ‘skinny’ jeans which I last wore last year so I’m super happy with that! I made the beetroot falafels today too, very yummy and as it makes 2 portions I’ve got my lunch sorted for tomorrow too – as long as I can fend off my husband from scoffing them. Keid x

• posted by Cazzypoos
    on

Hello everyone!

I too started on Monday 3rd, hope you don’t mind me joining this week instead! I’ve been following you all since last Tuesday or Wednesday but have only just had chance to register – feeling like a stalker so thought I’d better get on with it! Never been in a forum before, or followed one, absolutely loving your chat – you make me lol. Will be amazed if you get this post though, should have made ‘Luddite’ my username!

Learning a new way of eating/lifestyle is a big learning curve isn’t it? And I’m sorry to hear a quite a few of you have been feeling poorly – maybe it’s your bodies trying to get you to go back to all those pesky carbs! I think we all need to be kind to ourselves as it’s very early days.

I weighed myself before I started but haven’t been near the scales yet! Have tried every diet under the sun (some several times) and have always found I lose weight very slowly at first. Don’t want to be disappointed and disheartened. I know it’s doing me good because, as many of you have said, tummy is flatter and food tastes fab/wholesome.

Michael Mosley suggested fasting in the mornings. I’ve really taken to this and don’t feel hungry at all. First of my two daily meals tastes amazing! BTW have I missed a bit in the book re the amount of carbs we can have? I just thought I was counting up to 800 cals per day??

Everyone’s doing really well, give yourselves a pat on the back – go on….

C xxx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Great results people ๐Ÿ˜€, and for those who indulged in a little ‘pick me up’ over the weekend, well done in acknowledging it and coming back rather than falling off the wagon completely. It won’t hurt having the occasional indulgence as long as it doesn’t become routine like it used to be for me. On my day 7 weigh in I had lost another 2 lbs which took me to my 6 1/2 stone mini-goal which I hoped to hit by the end of this week so will need to think of another one that is do-able. The next one of my outstanding mini-goals is the ’11 something’ which is 4.5 lbs away now. That may be too much for a week two as I am probably expecting a plateau for a few days this week, as my body adjusts again. On that note, my top half now seems to be shrinking faster than my bottom as I am wearing a size 10 top today ๐Ÿ˜Š Keep it up folks, we’re all doing fantastically well.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The carb level isn’t in the books, although I believe the recipes in the book will roughly average out to a similar level as many of us use, around the 50 mark, if anyone who has the book wants to have a look at whether it does, that would be great, as I have just made that assumption. Carb tracking came about for me because I followed one of the links for the keto calculator posted by Igor (try search to find the link), and messed around on that with how best to portion out those 800 calories to keep me healthy. I wanted quite high protein to make sure my increased activity was covered so settled on (roughly) 40 net carbs, 77 protein and 37 fat. In practice my fat is a little higher than this, and my carbs and protein both a little lower, but I blame the Cornish clotted cream I am still using up after my trip for that ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Cazzypoos
    on

Aah thanku Mixnmatch, will have a look at that.

You must feel fab-u-lous, you are an inspiration!! x

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Ah! I forgot to add my “non-scale” victory! I got into a pair of skinny black pants today that I’ve never worn! I attribute this less to the 6 pound weight loss and more to the amazing de-bloating that is happening in my gut! lol. I used to get bloated to the point of looking pregnant after meals, which I think is an indicator of a fatty liver, which I’ve never been diagnosed with but suspect I have (I’ve never been tested as I don’t go to the doctor unless I’m at death’s door! lol).

• posted by StaciB
    on

@mixnmatch I think fat should be higher than carbs. This is not a low fat diet at all.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I know it isn’t a low fat diet, but 37g is still a considerable portion of my calories coming from the fat element. I have just finished a meal of skin on roast chicken with a dressed tomato salad with lots of fresh parsley and am ready for my pudding of full-fat Greek yoghurt and clotted cream with raspberries. My current weekly trend shows 37% of my 797 calories are from protein, 42% from fat and 21% from carbs. This seems to me to be quite suitable. (I am a bit of a data-head case and have gone into this in quite some depth over the last few months.)

Today is quite a high fat day, admittedly, at 115% of target with carbs at 21.2g and protein at 69.5g. Tomorrow will be quite a high carb day as I am playing badminton after work. I try to get it reasonably balanced out over the week.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fantastic news Primadawn, sometimes the non scale victories are even more satisfying aren’t they?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi mixnmatch

As a fellow datahead, I think it might help to look at the absolute values of fat rather than the proportions. As the overall calorie are typically very low and the whole point is to reduce carbs then the fat level is going to look high.

If you doubled the calorie “allowance” then you probably wouldn’t eat twice as much fat so the proportion would go don.

• posted by apatch
    on

I can confirm that the Spanish chorizo and chickpea soup is super tasty and filling. Will definitely be making again.

So many positive and inspirational messages on here today. Well done everyone!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I haven’t yet plugged in the keto calculator for what I expect my maintenance diet to look like, but I expect protein to remain very similar, or even drop a bit as my weight drops, as the guidelines are based on lean body mass. I can’t see carbs going back over 100g on a regular basis as that would be to invite back the cravings potentially so will look at what that gives me for fat content and try to keep it ‘good fat’. Certainly with all the good press about olive oil I can see the amount I use of that increasing when I am no longer restricting my calories. I am certainly not in any way worried about the amount of fat I am eating at the moment.

• posted by annieh
    on

Hello everyone. I started on the 3rd too and lost 4lb. I’d like more but I’ve decided it’ll catch up next week – and with time of month and the fact that I started on one (new) pair of scales that turned out to fluctuate each time I got on within moments I returned those and got some others so who knows how accurate the first read was anyway. 4lb a week over 8 weeks is still 32lb which would be amazing!

Good luck all for the next week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seashell
    on

Good morning to everyone, a little bummed this am a very tiny gain but I think it’s just my water kind of evening back out. Less trips to the bath now even though drinking lots. Thank heavens. Trying to walk more be more mobile which is REALLY hard. I drive school bus and with all my runs I’m driving for 7 to 8 hours a day, it’s a work in progress

• posted by Adelski
    on

Hi Seashell, I had a gain this morning also and was so gutted. Terrible headache again today, think I’m not drinking enough water and did give into a few glasses of wine on Sunday so I think it may be payback. I need to plan a little better I think, made chicken curry again and as my family loves it so much I made a huge pan of it for everyone and think I may be a little over generous with portion sizes. It’s finished off tonight so will plan better tomorrow. Good luck to everyone who is still going on this forum xxx

• posted by Yorklass59
    on

Hi all, I’m getting along quite well just choosing the meals from the book, but I too seem to have missed the bit about how many carbs are allowed? I just thought it was 800 cals and that was it?! I’m losing weight anyway but not sure how much. I made the Cauliflower Cheese but didn’t really enjoy it; but I did like the Cauliflower rice idea. I’m meeting a friend who wants to lose the same weight as me only she is on weight watchers, in two weeks, so if I can stick to it until then, that’s my first goal. Christmas is the second goal. I need to set small ones so that I remain confident that I can reach them. The end goal is something in my head and not spoken about as I think it scares me as I have not been that weight for so many years. Does anyone else think like that?

• posted by StaciB
    on

Hi @ Yorklass59. I haven’t read that in the book either. No need to make it complicated. I actually don’t even count calories either and I’m losing weight.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If you are following the eating plan in the book then it is not necessary to watch your carbs any further, as many people have done this and lost weight. I don’t have the book so am improvising, and find it useful to look up ingredients I want to use and keep my carbs to below 50 g. I have used recipes from this and other sites, and the Daily Mail recent series, but most of the time enjoy making up my own.

• posted by Randam
    on

Hey all
    I’ve been a bit quiet … packing!
    Today is house move day and I’m sooo proud of myself – as I have cooked my meals in advance!
    I have chicken kebabs for lunch and a pre made cauliflower cheese ( had a little taste!… OMG!! Yum!!)
    Starting move day with Eggs, bacon lardons and tomatoes for sustenance

A 2lb gain this morning!… god knows why??. ๐Ÿ™„ but I am persevering… and know that by the end of the week it will be off again…

Keep going everyone!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Probably a stress gain, Randam. I’m amazed you’ve stuck to this on moving day instead of just getting pizza! Well done! I’m sure the gain will fall off again quickly.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

No loss today for me, but no gain either. Absolutely identical to the fractions of a pound to yesterday, after my first week miracle I expected it.

Well done Randam on the preparation and planning, I hope move day goes smoothly for you, and don’t worry about the weight gain, it can only be temporary, so onwards and downwards!

• posted by Keid
    on

Hi everyone. I got on the scales for the first since the weekend and was pleased to see a small 2lb loss so 8lb total. Really pleased with that and finding this way of eating is getting so much easier. Got the BSD recipe book arriving today from Amazon so looking forward to some more things to try. Hope everyone is well x

• posted by Major Mummy
    on

I had a small gain too this morning – so maybe it’s just what happens at this point as it seems to be happening to a few of us on here.
    I also did eat a packet of Monster Munch yesterday but shhhh, don’t tell ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Like others, I’m just sticking to the recipes, keeping a rough eye on calories (not too slavishly) and am certainly not counting macros – far too much like hard work if you ask me. Anything for an easy life. What I do need to be careful of is my mood – I notice that at around 3-4pm when I pick the children up, I’m so short tempered. I have discovered that just a handful of nuts or a smoothie is enough to give me a boost to stop the niggles.
    Hope you’re all doing ok today – impressed with the dedication through a house move RANDAM!

on

Hi everyone. I was down another pound this morning (after 3 days of staying the same!) so was very relieved at that. It means I have lost 9lbs in 9 days, so I’m thrilled. I am sticking to the diet totally – counting the calories and the carbs. I am never hungry but I do get
    sugar cravings! Has anyone got a tip about something tiny to eat with a cup of coffee??!!

• posted by Primadawn
    on

Hello all! I’ve missed a few days posting, sorry! It was the first week of a new term for us and it’s been insanely busy! I am happy to report that I am still losing and have lost a total of 8 pounds now in less than 2 weeks. My horrendous headaches have FINALLY abated and I’m not feeling nearly so sick. I had some digestive issues that I’ve had in the past and evaluated my meals and found that I was extremely low on carbs, which has given me issues in the past. So I upped carbs to around 55-60 grams and everything fell into place! So much better!
    Today at the small college where I teach, faculty and students started a “Biggest Loser” competition for the term (10 weeks). We each put in $10 and it’s winner-take-all, based on percentage of weight lost. I’m really excited about it and feel that I have a good chance of winning! Just kind of wish my 6 pound loss from last week counted too! lol

• posted by shalimar
    on

Primadawn ….. hope you are the winner and you take it all!!! …. but you are a winner already!!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Primadawn, I have my fingers crossed that you will win. It’s great that you are listening to the signals from your body and adjusting your diet as well. That is one of the tools that we can take away from this way of eating when we reach our ideal weights.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I did lose a little on this morning’s weigh in, but less than a pound, still, it was in the right direction ๐Ÿ˜Š All the chia seeds I am eating seem to have helped with my digestive transit issues, which is good, that may have been the reason for my three day stall.

I passed another small milestone today when I plugged my weight and height into the Smart BMI calculator online and it came back 39/70 which is just in their healthy weight range. (30/70 – 39/70 are healthy weight range for this measure) and because it takes age into account as well, it is supposed to be more accurate than the WHO BMI figure.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Heather Patricia, I don’t usually eat anything with my coffee, but you could try chopping some sort of nut/seed bar, like a 9 bar if you can get them, into bite size pieces and just have one or two with your coffee, almost like those little Italian biscuits, but less carbs. Keep the rest in a jar for the next day.

on

Thats a great idea Mixnmatch. I will try it. Thanks very much.

• posted by Keid
    on

How’s everyone doing? My week 2 stats are 9lb down (6lb week 1, 3lb week 2) and 2 inches off my waist! Roll on week 3!!!

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Well done Keid that is a fabulous start I’m just starting week 3 to and have lost 9.5 lbs haven’t measured yet but will do perhaps monthly or when no weight loss. On some of the threads if you don’t lose weight you can still lose inches which will help me keep going know I have lost inches as my clothes are fitting me better ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Official weigh in tomorrow morning, but down another pound today, and still going ๐Ÿ˜€ I have been shopping again (nothing exciting, mainly charity shops, and Sainsbury’s sale) found another couple of pairs of Size 12 jeans to try, and I found some new fitness leggings, that are less likely to need holding up halfway through a rally when I’m playing badminton.

• posted by Yorklass59
    on

hi, it’s so encouraging reading all your fantastic weight losses and achievements – two weeks in and it really does seem to be working for us all. It would be fab if you win that challenge Primadawn!!! And Keid; amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I don’t know what I have lost and in the middle of the week I was down 3 and the next day up 3lbs so that was a bit weird. I’ve noted the chia seeds helping……. that is an issue so will take that tip away for the coming week. I too know that my clothes are fitting better and my tummy is definitely not protruding so violently!!!!! I’m meeting my dieting friend this coming Saturday at the end of week three, so I desperately want to hear ‘you’ve lost weight’…… then I am seeing my daughter and her family mid-November so that is my next mini goal. Of course Christmas after that.
    Just had the Bolognaise Puttanesca; delicious.
    Good luck for week three one and all. xx

• posted by Cassyanne
    on

I had aglass of wine tonight, lovely. Can we eat the odd piece of fruit, I do miss it. Feeling very lightheaded and faint in the mornings. Is this normal. Pleased ewith weight loss. 10lbs so far, and feel slimmer around tummy. Loving all the recipes.

• posted by Randam
    on

Moooorning everyone!

I have emerged from the house move and all the unpacking.. If I ever see another box it will be too soon.
    I’ve moved from a bungalow to a three storey house.. With a tiered garden and a garage at the top of it… Soooo lots and lots of stairs and my poor legs and hips have ached for 4 days!!
    Wishe we could put pics on here.. Would love to show you the sea view I have from my bedroom.

Anyways.. The results for Week 2 … 2 lbs off and another inch from my waist. 9lbs so far.. I’m really pleased.
    I slipped up last night and as my friend came over and we managed to polish off 3 bottles of red between us…
    But back on it today!

( had the chicken korma last night… Oh My Flipping Goodness!. It was AWESOME!)

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Cassyanne, you can certainly eat fruit in moderation, just count it in your calories for the day, and watch the carbohydrate content of some of them. My favourites are strawberries, blueberries, apples, pears and oranges.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome back Randam, sounds like that house will get you fitter quite quickly, it sounds lovely. I am far too far from the sea here, my mum is from Cornwall so it is in my blood, and would love to be able to see it, maybe you can post a link to photo bucket or something? I am sure someone more knowledgeable can help.

• posted by Noodles
    on

Hi
    Just completed week 1 and have lost 6lbs. Very happy with that although most of it came off within the first three days and then nothing more for the rest of the week.
    Week 2 starts today and have already completed 65 minutes in the gym. Energy levels are certainly not affected ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ Good luck all and I will check in next week
    Xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.