Weight loss slowing down dramatically

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by On a mission
    on

Hi all
    I feel like the weight loss is slowing/stalling.
    18 days in. Is this typical for week 3?

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi On a Mission; from what I have read on here, that is very common, if not inevitable for all! The first week discard can be very impressive but is on the whole water loss. And a plateau is not a plateau until it has gone on for a cple of weeks. So don’t worry – and make sure you get 2l of water down a day – that can get some getting used to and a concerted effort (and proximity to “facilities”). Do not fret!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

and a PS: did you take measurements? You could be discarrding inches if not lbs! My “scale journey” is not the quickest but my bottom is positively melting away. No breaking the internet for me…..

• posted by On a mission
    on

I didn’t measure myself before I started but yes my clothes are definitely baggy.
    I might just pop the scales away for week as I’m starting to obsess. The main thing is though I feel better and am more energetic.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Well there you go! Or as any Ancient Roman BSDer would have said, Quod erat demonstrandum. Carbs/cals in larks’ tongues anyone?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Ha ha lol Sixturkeys! Your Latin phrase made me laugh!! I spent a lot of time in law school memorizing short Latin phrases so I could look smart (good Lord, whatever was THAT about!!??) but the only one that stuck for thirty seven years is Pergamentum init, exit pergamentum — which means: garbage in/garbage out.
    Ha ha which is PERFECT for the BSD WOE as it describes my former eating pattern!
    So much for my brilliance!! And when spell check saw pergamentum it said it could not find a replacement. What no Latin in the spell check? Or more likely just spelled it wrong (or remember it wrong).
    But just avoid the pergamentum (that would be sugar and refined carbs and larks tongues!)

• posted by alliecat
    on

Your full of surprises 6turkeys..Delightful!

Carpe Diem is the beginning and end for me 🙂

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

CG, maybe pergamentum etc is not in the English law canon, as I don’t remember that one. But ejusdem generis, res ipsa loquitur, de minimis non curat lex, bona vacantia …actually very handy shorthand!

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

On a mission.,
    Im at the end of week three and experiencing just the same. I think if I’m totally honest, i thought after the first week my weight loss would continue at that level. I knew this was not what happened, I’d read it loads of times on here. I secretly thought I was special 😂It was my intention to put my scales away on Monday but I’m emotionally addicted to them. I think I’m going to take the batteries out and get my kids to hide them this week.
    I have not been rigidly following the rules this weekend or last. I’m still losing inches( or was, we’ll see tomorrow) and because I’m feeling full of beans( god I miss beans)I’ve really upped my exercise. I know I haven’t been drinking enough throughout the day and try to catch up in the evening. Uff! Anyway Monday is another week.
    We can do this! We feel bettter and look better who cares about those silly scales

• posted by On a mission
    on

Ah Skipping through the tulips 💐 that’s exactly what I needed to here. Yes, the scales are going away and I’ve just got back from the gym xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes , Skipping and On a mission, if the scales are getting you down then definitely give them a wide berth for a time. I know some people like to weigh every day but in my case I know I would be setting myself up for disappointment as there is so much fluctuation throughout the week. JGwen talks a lot about this and the need not to be focused so much on the numbers.

On a mission ..feeling better and having more energy means you are succeeding. We have all been led to believe we have an ideal weight to strive for based on the dreaded tables . I don’t know what my ‘ideal weight’ is . I will just keep going and see how I feel/look as I get smaller. Clothes fitting better, knowing you are improving your health mean more than a number on the scales.
    My discard has not been spectacularly rapid but it is slow and consistent. Stalls happen but I have got used to them
    Keep going, follow the principles, keep the hydration up and you will get where you want to be.
    All the very best to you both

• posted by On a mission
    on

Thanks Wendleg
    On a positive note I’ve lost 1lb overnight and the scales are going away until next weekend.
    Thanks for the pep talk folks it was much needed. Hope you have a good week. Dancing through the tulips – I’m hitting the gym big style this week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Skipping and Onamission, here’s an alternative thought for managing the daily weight fluctuations…especially if the
    weekends are when you run the risk of undoing all of your good work. Have you considered assigning friday and tues.
    for your weigh-ins? This prepares you for the weekend, and also keeps you accountable soon after it! 🙂 Even though I’ve
    been in maintenance for a good long while, it’s still a good plan for me. Let me know what you guys think!

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, Wendleg is right, I do keep on that the scales are not a reliable way of measuring results. – A litre of water is 1kg, so depending where you are within the day on fluid intake v trips to the loo your weight will fluctuate by upto 2kg. Then there is the weight of the food in transit. 800 cals in a calorie dense food will weigh a lot less than 800 calories of celery.

Also its not uncommon for people to find that inch loss can occur without weight loss or even with weight gain. As you cut down the carbs so insulin is under control, your other hormone systems can also work correctly. One of those hormones which is blocked by high insulin is growth hormone which controls the bodies ability to repair, to build stronger bones and repair and build muscle after exercise. You can be loosing fat and gaining stronger bones and muscle so the scales don’t change (or even increase) but you will see inch loss.

The best tools for monitoring progress are a tape measure and a mirror. – Its really surprising where the body will take fat and inflammation from before it starts working on the spare tyre. – Plenty of people on the forum report seeing collar bones before seeing any inch loss at their waist. Some of us have even dropped a shoe size.

• posted by alliecat
    on

The change in shoe size is real, ladies. Try to avoid any new purchases if you have significant weight to discard 🙂

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I dropped three shoe sizes. One interesting holdover from when my feet were fat is that I cannot stand to have any part of my running shoes touch my toes. I get them a half-size longer and in a wide size which gives the top half of my foot a solid 1/2 inch perimeter all around before contact with the edges. That’s only with running shoes. With my (extensive) collection of cute shoes and boots, the fit is exact.

On the question of slowing weight loss, over the 14 months I did the Fast800, there were weeks when I lost nothing, when the scale shot up and down daily in inexplicable ways and then weeks when weight ran screaming from me like it owed me money. I still weighed and logged the numbers every day because I felt it was necessary to keep reality clearly before me after decades of scale avoidance. That’s just a personal preference based on my own specific circumstances. You do what works for you. Remind yourself that this is a long-haul voyage and you just have to ride out the swells and dips. Take joy in achieving the small victories, your improved fitness and mental clarity, your skin clearing up, your hair looking glossy, your pants sagging, whatever changes you see.

• posted by On a mission
    on

Thanks folks great advice.

on

Thanks for all the really great suggestions and the benefit of your well earned wisdom. Very thought provoking. I like the idea that the daily weigh in keeps me accountable. I’m ridiculously disappointed when I don’t lose weigh every day. I know this is stupid, 100g has the power to make or break my morning? I need to get over myself. I’ve not been to the loo for 3 days and I’m starting to calculate the possible weight loss when I do.

• posted by On a mission
    on

Did you get the kids to hide the scales? Have you tried fybogel? I use them about twice a week and it seams to work for me. How’s the water going, this is supposed to help too.
    I too like the daily weigh in but it can be disappointing if you haven’t lost anything for a few days. I must admit though my scales are very basic so you need to have lost at least half a pound for it to even register. So I think I’m going for the bi-weekly approach from now one. Like you said to me – we can do this. Why don’t we check in on each other on a Tuesday and Friday? If so let’s starts tomorrow.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s totally normal, Skipping through the tulips. My OH could tell you some horror stories of my Scale Derangement Syndrome. I had many, many meltdowns, often including copious tears, based on the numbers I saw. The trick is not to get stuck in the meltdown. You have your cry, shake your fists to the angry gods and then get on with your daily life. That’s a lot easier to do when it’s a few days of poor/no losses than when you’re in a plateau that lasts a couple of weeks. Grim determination was the best I could muster, whereas I felt like I had wings on my feet every day the numbers dropped even when I weighed much, much more. Still, it did the trick. Keep looking forward.

on

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it’s worked a treat. Have not stopped drinking today so if there’s no result in the morning I’ll be off to the pharmacy to practice miming being constipated.
    Off for an early night all ready to face those scales no matter what. See you tomorrow on a mission !

• posted by On a mission
    on

Hi Dancing through the tulips
    Although I’m going to type ‘disco diva’ from now as on its easier. I saw your posts re weight loss and want to say 400g is almost one pound. That’s the equivalent of nearly 2 packs of butter lost from your body. I actually think that in a few days that’s really good going. Also, I think I’m a few days ahead of you and things have started to move again for me. We are going to have up and downs on this. Hang on in there and don’t over analyse and please, please get those kids of your to hide the scales until at least Friday to give yourself a break. You really cheered me up the other day and I thank you for that. We can do this.

on

Hey on a mission your right it is almost 2 packs of butter. Thanks for the new perspective. Scales are hidden! I am very partial to but a disco when hoover and wash the floors.
    See you Friday We ARE doing it.

• posted by On a mission
    on

Well I’ve been absolutely floored with Keto flu (I think) had to come home from work yesterday- upset tum abs blinding headache. I’m a teacher and was very shaken. I just couldn’t stand up without getting dizzy, Ithought I’d escaped it, but it just goes to show. It doesn’t bode well for our weight in tomorrow, I buckled and had a small jacket potato as I really couldn’t face anything else. I’m feeling brighter this pm. Dancing Through the Tulips and Keflin (welcome 🙂 ) I hope you get good results tomorrow.

on

ON A MISSION sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. I’m still feeling a bit wobbly on and off and think it’s related to how active and stressed I am. Have you had a particularly difficult time this week?
    I think sometimes you need to listen to your body and if yours was asking for a small jacket potato no harm done. Hope it did the trick.

One small potato is not going to make a whole heap of difference, so don’t let it derail your good intentions. Equally no potato guilt! Since it’s confession time I’d like to out myself for eating a cheese sandwich on Tuesday night. There are many extenuating circumstances, all of which are boring. So I’ll forgive your potato if you forgive my cheese sandwich.
    See you tomorrow

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi On a Mission and Skipping
    Sorry to hear you have both had some unpleasant side effects. I would say it’s a good sign that your body is adapting to having fewer carbs .It won’t last but make sure you are drinking plenty of water and replacing salts. I think in terms of carb addiction and to break that addiction can be traumatic in the first instance but it will get easier.You will find carbs don’ t have the same appeal as ypu progress and it’s very empowering not to feel ‘controlled’ by food
    All the very best to you both

• posted by On a mission
    on

Friday weigh in – I’ve put back on 11/2 of the 2lb I’d lost in Tuesday. I think this is because I’ve been so inactive and feeling poorly. I have been to the docs today as really bad back and high temp in the night. Been given a 3 day course of antibiotics for a water infection. Really hope I’m feeling better over the weekend. Hope your weeks been more successful that mine Dancing and Keflin.

on

I’m sorry to hear you’re still feeling unwell and it’s a real bummer about the gain. Don’t let this derail you. The 1 1/2 is unlikely to be fat. If we have to eat 3500 cals less to lose a pound of fat then surely the reverse is true when we put on weight. So unless your jacket potato was the size of a small horse the fluctuation is going to some other stuff going on with your body,: water, food , poo …
    We’re here to lose the fat, be healthier and feel better about ourselves.
    Be kind to yourself while you’re recuperating.

I have lost a massive 200g since Tuesday.

• posted by On a mission
    on

Ah thanks. I’m okay, I just don’t like taking time off work. 200g is another packet of butter lost. Well done you, that’s great news.
    I’m not despondent about the weight again- I know I’ll shift it. Plus I know it’s still working. I need to go bra shopping when I’m feeling brighter as I now have ‘Cadbury’s bras’ – you know a cup and a half!! Why do I always loose weight of my boobs first and my thighs and ass last?? Mother Nature’s not kind to me.
    You know it’s funny my taste buds have changed completely – we have loads on biscuits in (teenagers) and normally if I’m feeling rotten I’d raid them. But I have no I interest in them at all, much prefer a baby bell instead. Perhaps that’s why I’m feeling rotten – I must be really suffering or I’ve completely lost the plot. Te he. Mind you I did have cheese sandwich envy the other night There are my absolute favourite.

on

Glad your feeling brighter on a mission. We sound like twins! I don’t need to go shopping for bras yet because I was burst out of mine at the back and the front. If truth be told they’re sad little puppies now. I’m still sporting several spare tyres, all be it smaller, but seem to have most of the butter from my arms and legs. You’re right what have we done that Mother Nature could be so cruel. I’m right there with you on changing tastes. I too have three teens and often resort to hiding half the biscuits and chocolate I buy so it lasts more than 1/2 a day. I found a packet of Cadbury fingers yesterday and wasn’t even tempted. If it had been a cheese sandwich it may have been another story. I am refusing to allow jacket potatoes to be cooked at the moment since the smell will be too much for my will power. I used to eat a lot of tomatoes and I’ve cut right back but cannot give them up. They are like crack.

• posted by Imence99
    on

Weight loss is very important for us . I think It can be overcome using to stop of misleading diet routine and do unhealthy activities.

Please log in or register to post a reply.