Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

We will, Julia, we will!! I’m wondering whether it would be too much to wear one of my new posh frocks when I meet up with a few friends on Wednesday for lunch. One saw me the first week of the diet when no weight loss showed and the other saw me last about three weeks ago and was stunned by the weight loss. πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Julia
    Lack of sleep does affect weight. In fact shift workers who do night shifts are more likely to put on weight And become diabetic.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Judith.

Half a result tonight!

Twins had microwave pizza, microwave chips and mixed veg 😱 All from the freezer so making more space for ‘good’ foods. But then instead of biscuits etc, they had M&S Greek style unsweetened natural yogurt with blueberries. πŸ˜ƒ They’ve asked for that for breakfast tomorrow πŸ˜ƒ I’m thinking of trying them on the Bircher recipe in the book at some point.

In case you’re all wondering, I had cooked meat, cheese, pΓ’tΓ©, boiled egg and beetroot while they had their pizza 😊

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lynne, I’m disappointed for you too. I was hoping for some surprised delight from your family. There are all sorts of reasons they might not have commented to you, but I bet they did notice and are wondering how you did it. The girls will be sure to see your new lifestyle and eating habits. Children are very observant, and it will give you a chance to explore some healthy eating options with them. It will give them an alternative point of view when they try out some of your new recipes. The message may not be heard by your son and D-I-L but you have a chance to influence the next generation before problems begin.
    We know how hard you’ve worked to succeed on the BSD, and as Grandma48 says we are proud of you, and appreciate your support. I think Judith is right and you should bring up the subject of the diet and see what happens. πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne, getting 8 year olds to have unsweetened yoghurt is quite a big result !!! and they want it for breakfast!
    You’ll have them eating at least half of their diet as healthy food before the week is out!

I bet you could not have faced that microwaved food now, Lynne!! A very gentle break in for the girls though!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Judith,
    Wear your new frock and knock their socks off! You’ve earned this success and deserve the boost your new clothes will give you. Much better to feel great in a new outfit than to wear something too big and not show the complete new you.
    Enjoy your lunch and the compliments πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Cherrianne, I think I will!! I may pop back into the hairdressers to get my hair blow dried too – it never looks as good when I do it myself. I will even put some make up on – now that will be a red letter day!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Go for it Judith – Cherrianne is right. Show them what a glamour-puss you are. They will be so astounded that they won’t try pushing you to have an unsuitable pudding!!
    Janice

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Janice, I’m going to listen to you and cherrieanne πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Cherrianne. I’ve told the girls there are some things I can’t eat anymore. Gave them the choice of a cooked breakfast or the yogurt and berries.

Judith, When they’ve been here before breakfast has been cereal or toast so either cooked or yogurt and berries is a step forward. Got two more microwave pizzas and more microwave chips in the freezer (only carbs I didn’t throw out when I started the BSD).

It’s going to be interesting to see how the girls react to eating lower carb.

Last time I tried a low–carb diet their parents disapproved. They (and my son’s professionals) know best😳 Much as I appreciate their gift of jams and chutneys, they know I’m diabetic – so it was an odd choice😳 But they both eat carbs at every meal. I might be ‘chicken’ but I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut to keep the peace😱

I admit to being worried when I saw my son’s partner today. She’s not diabetic as far as I know but has a significant number of health issues. Today she was even larger than before (possibly partly caused by meds and partly by lack of mobility) and was breathless. The weight is all round her middle! Although she shouldn’t touch alcohol because of some of her meds, she still drinks it.

I’m a believer in leading by example so hope their seeing the results will help. It’ll be interesting when they come here 😳 In the past I’ve eaten what they eat, but can’t do that now. That will be when they notice something different!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lynne, what a problem you have there.

It might not sit well with you but I wouldn’t say anything to the twins, just adjust their diet to a healthy one. I doubt the family would think twice about a cooked breakfast or fruit and yoghurt as anything other than breakfast.

A bit trickier when son and d in l come, if they comment on no starchy food on your plate explain you are having to cut starchy carbs for medical reasons – which is true – and hope they don’t make a fuss. If they do, could you say you are doing it under medical supervision – you are going to your diabetes clinic regularly so if it was causing you health problems it would come to light. Not too much of a stretch of the truth.

I feel for you because you are in a tricky non supportive situation with your family.
    You are right to worry about your d in l. Cruising to disaster with her eyes wide shut.

Are your son’s professionals medical people?

X

• posted by orchid
    on

Captainlynne, I so felt for you when I read you post. Sometimes people are scared to say something in case they are wrong or are worried you are ill! They may also have seen some thing different and were not sure what it was. A friend was telling me last week that she had straightened her hair the day before, and people who knew her were asking if she had started wearing glasses (she has always worn glasses) or if she had got new glasses! They knew there was something different, but could not pin it down!
    I am going home in 3 weeks, not sure if anyone will notice or not. I do expect a ‘you are looking well’, but not much more. We are still grieving my sister-in-laws death (she would have noticed!) plus nephew has important exams so there is so much going on. However, like you – this is for me and not for anyone else. I am having a great time on this journey and trying on different clothes from the back of the wardrobe each night. I know there is a big difference!
    Keep up the great work.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Seems like lots of us are enjoying new clothes. And I love the idea of the hair getting done and lippy going on as well as the new clothes for a midweek lunch, Judith! Knock ’em dead, I say!

I feel like I am getting to know you all so well. What heartache so many have gone through and yet what generosity of spirit on this brilliant forum. It must be one of few where there is no backstabbing. Just overwhelming support.

So many good things I am learning here from you all and not only about the diet. Have a good Sunday everyone – am hoping for less rain up here tomorrow so I can finish sanding the shed and tidying my garden 😊

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks julia. I’m hoping for better weather to enable me to get into the garden too πŸ™‚

• posted by Grandma48
    on

CaptainLynne

Now I’ve seen your latest post I understand why your son and d.i.l. didn’t mention how good you are looking. I suspect they don’t want to admit that they have a problem, so if they don’t acknowledge that your problem is disappearing (along with the excess lbs), they don’t have to admit to theirs!

You just keep on keeping on. Do yourself up to the nines this Wednesday and trust that your friends will be able to share in your success – all of us on these forums certainly are!

Hope you have a lovely time with the girls. As long as they like what they are eating, it won’t matter to them how healthy it is….

Janice xxx

• posted by Darleen
    on

Hi,
    I’ve been lurking in the shadows for a while, now on day 6.. Just wanted to say a big Thank you … All the information you share has been a god send, first day was really stressful, but reading through all the posts understand it so much better now and Calorie counting has never been my thing 😝 I’m totalling my Calories, Carbs and Protein .. BUT .. Can’t remember where the protein part came in, remember reading it on one of the posts said to try and stay under 45g per day ? I think it had to do if you were counting Carbs side of things .. Any help and I site would be appreciated ..
    Thank you πŸ’™D X

• posted by NewLife
    on

hashimoto, wear the frock, wear the frock! Knock ’em dead, girl.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Lynne, what they all said. You are inspirational!

I feel for you, we all want to have our achievements acknowledged, but it sounds to me like denial is a big problem in your relatives.

I’m not a veteran, only 3 weeks in, but I love reading this thread for all the success stories and I hope y’all don’t mind.

• posted by Spirit
    on

Morning all,

Agreed, hashimoto, wear the frock, have your hair done and slap on some slap. It will boost your morale no end.

Captainlynne, I’ve read your posts but not been able to get on the lappie much the past few days. I say don’t hide your light under a bushel. Just because your family don’t want to acknowledge your success for their own reasons, doesn’t mean you have to pander to their sensitivities. This isn’t meant to sound harsh, but I hope you know what i’m getting at? You are clearly a beautiful soul – go shine girl! xx

I’m officially at the end of the 8 weeks today. I was 20lb down as of the other day, I’ve not weighed myself today, might do it tomorrow morning (since I’ve had a cup of tea and some strawberries with home made yoghurt this morning)

I did nip to Debenhams on Thursday after work to be remeasured. My cup size has remained the same (since my reduction surgery) but I have gone from a 36 to a 34″. I find it odd how if I measure my band, I’m a 32 so how come the 34 fits?

I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone on this thread who’ve helped and encouraged since day 1 of this diet, especially pmshrink. Your support when I was flagging has really made a difference so thank you.

Moving forwards, I’ll continue on the 800. I was saying to my daughter last night that I can’t see myself going back to 3 meals a day and wonder how you have all fitted back in to ‘normal’ eating? I usually have breakfast of either yoghurt and berries or smoked salmon or bacon and eggs , then nothing other than water or cups of tea until the evening.

I can’t see myself wanting a sandwich at lunchtime again!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks newlife and spirit, I’m looking forward to wearing the frock now! They have only seen me in a dress once in the last decade so. It will be a double shock he he!

Spirit i had the same weird experience re bras myself yesterday. 2″ less under the bust but cup size is still the same, how? Why? I. Thought the cup size was bound to go down. When I measured myself my band was 3 inches less ?

Welcome to the veterans, Spirit!

Newlife, you are part of our BSD family so you reply or post on any thread you want me dear!

Spirit, I. Think you are right about not pandering to sensitivities. It’s very hard not too when you have been through the kind of marital abuse Lynne went through. I know because I did too. I am reading a book at the moment which explains that it leaves the victim ‘primed’ to please others. We may have brushed ourselves off, stood up courageously and forged new lives for ourselves but we still have heightened sensitivities we are not fully cognizant off. In short I think you’re right, in practice it is so very hard to do. I have been ‘free’ for 18 years and am just beginning to realise I still bear some scars.

I really hope Lynnes family acknowledge what she has acheived, she deserves it so much. You are right, the beauty of her soul shines through.

Captainlynne your BSD family loves you x

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Darleen
    Keeping under 50 g of carbs is the main thing. If you make sure you’re having plenty of fat the protein shouldn’t be a problem- it tends to be a problem when people still restrict their fat too much but this is a low carb, high fat, medium protein diet.
    Just looking through my MYfitnessPal records, I d say I tend to have 30-40g of carbs, 25- 35 g of fat, 30-40g of protein.
    But I m only really concentrating on the carbs and vaguely remembering to add fat. The protein seems to take care of itself!
    Hope this helps
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi spirit
    Thanks for the mention 😊
    You ve done well.
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

I agree Hasimoto, it is hard even when you have broken free of your shackles. I too have been free of an emotional abuser for 15 years now (had to count that up!). There are lots of ways that I’ve since learned to protect myself, i.e. starting to see new people and then running a mile when I see traits from the other person I don’t much care for. I now have built a ‘fort’ around me and yes, maybe some of that was the weight.

I have a nice enough life, I’m living near my son and daughter, I see them often, my daughter gets married next month in Florida – which we are all looking forwards to. Having a bloke around just doesn’t figure in my wants or needs, despite family and some friends telling me i ought to dip my toe in the water again. I can’t see that ever happening though!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi spirit there seem to be more people who have suffered that way on these forums than I would have expected. Makes you wonder. Especially as the.long term stresss of living in fear damages the immune system and can cause the kind of illnesses that can lead to excess weight.

Like you I can spot troubling traits quite quickly now. I’m 63 and not likely to dip my toe in that particular water again either…

We should pat ourselves on the back for being survivors who have taken control of our own lives again πŸ™‚
    We are strong women, you, me, catgirl and lynne πŸ™‚

• posted by Grandma48
    on

……and me! 18 years free and no intention of going down that road again!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Lynne, I,m just wondering if the scenario was more that they noticed the weight loss, they couldn’t fail realy, but didn’t want to say anything in front of you. I wouldn’t mind betting it’s been discussed in private though.
    They’re your kids and they love you, they have just seen you turn up having dropped a lot of weight. Knowing my kids, if they didnt kniw what was going on, they would be worried and probably wouldn’t question me for fear of worrying md to, they may even think you’e hiding an illness from them.
    Don’t get despondent hun, we all understand you and we all are backing you 100%

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh, wow, grandma48, so sad that so may of us have been down that road. Hey, but onward and upward to us strong women!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Perhaps it’s our past that’s made us strong!! Anyway as you say, onward and upward – or should that be downward as far as the scales are concerned?!!!
    Janice

• posted by Laska
    on

HI all.. joining you here on the post 8 week thread!
    19lbs down , 5 inches off waist .. back to ‘normal BMI ..i’d really like to lose another 10 lbs to get back to 10 stone

I need to start negotiating how to make this work going forward as I did the Fast Diet successfuly three years ago , then put it all back on! ,
    So i far Im thinking doing a sort of 2:4.1. that is 2 days eating what I want (but watching the carbs ,and 5 days doing the BSD M diet at around 8/900 , then 1 day fasting (a light dinner of protein. veggies only ) ? ,, how does that sound ?

• posted by Laska
    on

Duh! would be good if I could count . I meant ‘4 days doing the BSD M diet .. (not 5 .. )

that is 2 days eating what I want (with wine most likely but really watching the bad carbs) ,and 4 days doing the BSD M diet at around 8/900 , then 1 day fasting (a light dinner of protein. veggies only ) ? I can do this FRi eve and sat ,being the 2 ‘higher days’ Sunday fasting, ..( no breakfast or lunch ) Mon-Thursday 800/900 cals.
    How does that sound ?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry to have opened a can of worms ladies! Sorry for apologising. Etc. 😳

Judith, what is the book you are reading? Sounds interesting.

Lunch today was steak with courgetti and carrotetti (?), plus red cabbage with apple
    Courgette was new to the girls and they originally said they didn’t like red cabbage, but changed their minds when they tasted it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Lynne you are introducing your twins to new foods!! Bet they love the spiraliser ( if that is what you used). They will be having so much fun experimenting with new foods.

You haven’t opened a can of worms, Lynne, you have shown us there are people on these forums who have a shared experience of a different kind. We understand each other.

The book I am reading is called ‘The Empathy Trap’ with a subtitle of Understanding Antisocial Personalities. It’s by Dr Jane McGregor and Tim McGregor. I wish this book had been about before I got married – I would have understood all the warning signs and run a mile. My ex’s second wife had him committed. Says it all. It also informs me that those of us caught up in this kind of relationship have done so because we are empathetic personalities. I would highly recommend reading it. I had it on my kindle but so many people want to read pertinent points that I thought it would be easier to have a hard copy which I could highlight. You really ought to get it πŸ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Laska, I have also finished the 8 weeks, but with a holiday looming at the end of this month I decided to continue for 4 further weeks, as I will have little control into what I eat the 2 weeks after that. I suspect it may be easier than on a low fat diet – ignoring bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc should work. I am vegetarian and the holiday is full board and was booked before I started this. I do not expect to be offered much choice, so it will be eat or not, so I am banking a few extra kilo’s off now so I do not shoot up to much during that period!
    Looking past that, I may need a couple of weeks back on the 800, then I was looking at doing 5:2, where it is 5 days 800, 2 days not for a few weeks – using the 2 days for days when I am visiting people or at lectures, then moving to 4:3, 4 days 800, and finally reversing to the 2 days 800 and 5 days not. The 800 is always there as a backup should I need it. I have 10kg to go to get to ‘normal’ BMI and that is my target.
    I was not sure why you felt you still needed the one ‘fasting day’ when the 4 days on 800ish were already fast days?

• posted by Spirit
    on

Thanks for the heads up re the book Hashimoto. off to find it on my Kindle now…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Spirit, I would recommend the paper back copy if I’m not too late x

• posted by Spirit
    on

Not too late at all Hashimoto, Thanks for that xx

• posted by Laska
    on

Orchid , Hi , Re having a ‘fasting’ day: I re-read the book this weekend and saw that MM said that he has one day a week fasting (14hrs no food) and that it was one of his secrets to maintaining weight after the diet ..Also I thought it would be a good antidote to the 2 days of eating what i liked and having wine !

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Your book ordered for delivery tomorrow, Judith. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow, Lynne, that’s fast! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Spirit, it is easy to highlight and sticker pages you want to read, or just thumb through. I know you can on a kindle but it is much easier in the paperback – especially if people want to borrow ( or you can photo copy a couple of relevant pages for them). I want to re read certain sections.

πŸ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Laska, I would need to reread the book (I intend to when I am on holiday), but I think that just means eating you food within a 10 hour window so there is a 14 hour fast period and that could be done with your current fast days without making it too complex. So breakfast after 8am and nothing to eat after 6pm. You could do that each fast day. There was a short piece on one of MM’s progammes in January about the times of day you eat helping keep you slim that explains it(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/zBx3JZJCKfNBrWgT0Qyj93/the-big-experiment-could-i-lose-fat-just-by-changing-my-meal-times).
    If you are eating 800 cals a day, 5 days a week, and for an average woman (whoever she is) you need 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight, then you are banking 1200 a day from 5 fast days – ie 6000 calories to spend extra on the weekend. I can’t remember if this is maintenance for you or still losing some weight, but it gives you your standard 2000 plus 3000 banked ie 5000 calories a day for each of Saturday and Sunday. That is a pretty good days eating and drinking, πŸ™‚ but you may spike your carbs!
    If I have got my maths right, then a bottle of red wine is 25 fl oz – 630 cals and 27 carbs. That would be 8 bottles of wine over two nights without you needing to do an even harder fast day that would probably not give you more than an extra 400 calories to play with.
    Personally, I would keep it as simple as possible, as it is much easier to plan and keep to. I tried the 5:2 a few years ago and I could not keep to two days a week for more than 3-4 weeks due to work/travel. Instead of doing 1 of the two days during the bad weeks, I just stopped that week and guess what, I did not restart. For me, fitting in that ‘fast day’ would be the one that is most likely to slip and before I knew it I’d have had a ‘normal week’ ie no fast days, then bit by bit the weight would go back on again :-(.
    Hope that helps.

• posted by jimbob
    on

First ever post on final day of eight weeks so hopefully as encouragement for those not so far down the line or just thinking about it here is how it panned out. Had been on 5:2 for 2 years and initially lost almost 2 stone from 244 pounds but found the fast day hard with nothing at lunch time and seemed to plateau which developed a small incline. Purely by chance heard the very end of Dr Michael interview which just said that type 2 need to lose weight quickly so found the book and had started before even getting the stories read by going straight to diets. Found it really easy, though giving up on occasional treat not quite so and have to admit to occasional whisky and square of dark chocolate however have managed to drop from 15st 11lbs to 13st 12 lb as of tonight and fitting clothes not worn in 10 – 15 years(I have a big wardrobe and don’t buy many clothes) but regretfully had a kilt made in my tartan last May for daughters wedding which is now too big. Never really set a target until probably last weekend when I thought 2 st + was easily achievable but wouldn’t you know it fell short. What to do now?Actually sad have reached this point as have enjoyed the disciplines I set myself and reading the blogs on here so think I will take it on for maybe another few weeks as delayed a 2 day holiday we were given at Christmas so that I could complete the diet so that might be next milestone and still have a few pounds of belly fat which could go and it will give me more time to plan future diet. A further point to note is that excercise though desirable isn’t absolutely necessary for the diet to work as just 2 days in I developed extreme pain in my knee from wear and tear of 64 years almost to the point of imobility and though it has improved not much walking has taken place but still lost weight. That’s it folks time for another dram to celebrate!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the veterans jimbob. Great weight loss πŸ™‚
    Thanks for sharing your 8 weeks πŸ™‚

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Jimbob. I finished today too, click on me to save me repeating my stuff but. Well done. I wil keep going too as I have 3.5 kg still to go. Funny how it gets to be easy and enjoyable if somewhat time consuming. All the best…

• posted by jimbob
    on

Its my pleasure and thankyou all for your posts has been very interesting reading now waiting for next 6 month check to see how blood sugar has reacted

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the veterans club skywalker! πŸ™‚

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Thanks Hashimoto nice to be here. You appear to be one of the lynch pins on the forums, I don’t do other social media but, to thank Doc Mosley et al I will contribute where I can. I noticed after I wrote it that many do not use the profile page much but I edit mine regularly to show progress. cheerio for now,..

• posted by hashimoto
    on

A very good idea skywalker. I put a short sentence on mine and left it like that. Your way is better πŸ™‚

• posted by Carolg
    on

I can now join the over the 8 week line. This is the first morning of week 9. I have done really well and have lost 2st2lb. Who would have believed it. I had 3 slow weeks (3,4 and 5) but in the last 3 have lost 4,3 and 6.5lbs respectively.
    My blood sugar levels have come down greatly. I was diagnosed T2 about 2 years ago and put on metformin which disagreed with me (couldn’t go far from the toilet) , the doc then tried the slow release version which wasn’t much of an improvement. We then changed to Glicazide – not a lot of improvement in BS, but bowels a lot better, after a while we added in Stagliptin but BS levels still seemed to be rising. I could see insulin in my future – then read the article in the Mail about the blood sugar diet – Eureka!!
    Made an appt and saw the doc – stopped the Glicazide before starting day 1. Pre breakfast bs at this time 16.7.
    At the end of week 8 it is now mostly in the 6 range, with the odd pre dinner dip into the 5s.
    I have a feeling the GP was humouring me but she wished me well and sent me on my way. I have an appointment with the practice nurse tomorrow and will go armed with the book and my daily bs results.
    I intend saying on the diet as I still have a huge amount of weight to loose – 10 more stone would be good. I am sure that my bs levels will continue to drop into normal ranges as I loose that weight.
    I must thank all the posters in these forums as they have been both a source of inspiration (and recipe ideas) and motivation. It is nice to have company on a journey, and this is a great journey to change our lives forever.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow the veteran numbers are building.
    Some great results there folks.
    These posts demonstrate just what the diet is capable of and will spur on lot’s of new starters who are perhaps a little unsure.
    CarolG go into that appointment with all guns blazing, you are in the position of power now as you have achieved what they failed to.
    Jimbob and Skywalker, it looks like you guys are going to be hanging around a bit longer, glad to have the company πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.