Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    That is an amazing success! Fantastic!
    So now lots of her patients will get the info, because of you. Well done!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Thanks Hashimoto 😊
    Penny

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Bill, congratulations on being so ordinary yet achieving such extraordinary things! Way to go!

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Bill that is so wonderful! Don’t underestimate how much of a help and inspiration you are on these forums, either. Please, please keep posting!

• posted by Sabrina77
    on

Thats great news Bill πŸ‘

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Bill
    I am so delighted with the response you received from the doctor today, but probably not one fraction as delighted as you, not only for your incredible results, but also how your results were received by said doctor. Be proud of yourself, because you have succeeded where the health service failed miserably. If you do decide to be a patient advisor, you will be of such benefit to all. The majority of us in these forums are inspired by your positivity and helpfulness.
    I actually logged on to ask a question, and am hoping you might have the answer. I know that you recommended someone to “go for the fish ‘n chips – minus both the batter and the chips”. Well I have done just that today. In fact I asked for fish and salad – no chips. My friend was very impressed with my willpower as I didn’t even try to sneak one of hers. (I have learned that if we cheat, it is only ourselves that we are cheating!). My question is, how did you work out the carbs for the fish? I really didn’t eat the batter, so can I just guess the weight of the fish and enter that accordingly?
    Thank you for all the help you give.
    Janice

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janice, that’s basically what I did – just went with the weight of the fish for calories, no carbs. πŸ™‚

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Bill,
    Re the “ignorant comments” I always find they come from people who in their heart of hearts must know that they themselves really need to lose weight etc. but don’t want to face facts and get on with it.
    They’d rather tell you you’re looking too thin and scrawny and will, ” Do yourself no good if you carry on”.
    I remember what someone earlier said about the “prettier corpse”.

on

Orchid,

I have only just had an opportunity to digest all the information you so very kindly gave me re carbs. Thank you so much.

For an online tool, I think i’ll re-awaken My Fitness Pal on my laptop which you mentioned. I used to use it some while ago but gave up for the usual reasons. Now you mention it though, I remember that it does have a very detailed nutritional breakdown of a wide variety ot foods.
    I also picked up a very handy little pocket book today “Carbs and Cals” by Chris Cheyette & Yello Balolia (What wonderful names!) “in association with Diabetes UK” which gives carb readings for a good selection of everyday foods set out in a very useable pictorial form in serving sizes. It’s published by “Chello” which looks remarkably like a concatenation of the authors’ names. I’m not usually a fan of books that give stats in other than standard measurements, 100g etc but somehow this book seems easy to use. I’ve just noticed it’s also available as an app.

As well as carbs and cals, it gives protein, fat, fibre and saturated fat so I think it’s going to be well thumbed.
    Interesting fact – sweet white wine has 7 times that carbs of dry!

We’ve just had our posh “afternoon tea”. It was great, but we felt full long before we could finish it. It was odd eating the scones jam and cream bit and regarding the cream as the least of the evils. Just waiting now to see how I feel when the sugar spike wears off. Will I be wanting to raid the fridge tonight? Watch this space.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news Bill. You must be well pleased with her response.

The more medics we get on board the more folk can be helped.

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Thank you Hashimoto – I’ve entered it onto Fat Secret to get the carb and cal figures. Really incredibly grateful for all the advice provided on this forum, primarily by you, captainlynne and Bill. Am off to visit my son in France in early May and I am desperate to hear the words “gosh Mum you look great, you’ve lost so much weight!” as he greets me at the airport! I know it’s all in my hands – and my grasp – and I seem, finally, to have understood what I have to do to make it work! Onwards and upwards – or should that be “downwards”?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Thanks for all the great comments folks I really appreciate them more that I deserve them.
    I really haven’t done anything except follow the plan, the real plaudits belong to Michael and Prof Taylor.
    The nicest thing about yesterday was, I have never seen this doctor smile before. I saw the first glimmer as I told her how much weight I had lost and she was positively beaming by the time I left. She even commented that it was a pleasant change to hear some good news.
    Now I have my next target, med free by September, by which time I hope to be nearing weight target 2 of 12 stones.
    That 13.5 stone by June is looking achievable now.
    The patient advisor thing (I never heard of them before) was left hanging so I’ll wait and see what happens, if I get a call I’ll see how much time it will take.
    What I really want now is to see everyone who does this diet having the same results, wouldn’t that be something ?

• posted by NewLife
    on

Bill, what an awesome (and well-deserved) response from your doctor πŸ™‚

I’m so pleased for you!

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Bill, the outcome to your GP appt was brilliant! It’s given me high hopes for my next review in June. You’re sort of left to your own devices diabetes wise at my surgery – just an annual review and little else – they don’t even supply the test strips, etc. Once again, I’m really pleased things have turned around for you.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Just saw this
    Judith ???? Mankini ???
    Should I wear the shocking pink mankini or the fluorescent orange one ?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, shocking pink is very fetching but the dayglow orange might make you stand out more!!
    Perhaps the orange mankini with shocking pink socks! That should get people noticing you as you dash through the chocolate aisles! πŸ˜‰

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hmm think the orange would work Bill!!
    Great results and even better response from the GP. I bet the BSD will be a hot topic at their next practice meeting, she is bound to share your story as it seemed to have an impact on her.
    The goal for most Doctors and nurses is “evidence based best practice”. The research is there to back up the BSD, and your results prove that it works. So now it’s up to them to change their advice and management.
    Good for you πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

OK orange mankini shocking pink socks, nightglo green trainers and a powder blue headband.
    I’ll get thrown out of Turkey on arrival!
    Shame we can’t post images on here πŸ˜‰
    Cherrianne, she was really interested, I’m hoping great things will come from it but we are talking NHS here so sloooooooooooooooow, but hope springs eternal.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    Did I see a while ago you sent a private message to another member? How did you do it?
    I have some ‘private ‘ allotment info for Hashimoto !
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Penny, Bill posted his ‘spare’ email address. Could you email Bill and then get my email address of Bill? I only have the one email address. πŸ™‚

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

Saw my (new) diabetic nurse, eventually, today. She’s thrilled with today’s weight/waist. 9st 13lbs/30″ (male 63, 5′-8″). Down from 11st /34″ at week 1, but probably about 12st when diagnosed 3 years ago .
    HbA1c was done about 4 weeks ago, with a 4 week wait for the nurse, so the results are based on about week 4 of the diet, and the 3 months before. Tried to explain what diet I was on. When she kept on about “if people would stick to the diet”, I’m not sure if we were talking about her NHS one, or my BSD one. I should have taken the book to wave.
    HbA1c was 6. Down from 7+ (and a threat of meds) in October. It would be interesting to see what it would be like after 3 months of BSD, but probably got to wait a year find that out. It would be nice to have more testing done but as T2s are swamping the NHS anyway it won’t happen. Told me I didn’t need to test my BG as the HbA1c was all I need. Said I still will – keeps me on the straight and narrow. My money!
    The only blot was my cholesterol is “up a bit”, but as I was only on week 4, when tested, who knows what’s actually happening now. As I am a bit of a cholesterol disbeliever, anyway, I won’t worry too much.
    Mixed feelings from my, post diet, brush with the medics, but I feel good so……..
    Thanks Michael Mosley. I see we share a birthday, 22 march.

on

Hi Steve & Ei
    Great results. Keep preaching the “gospel according to Messrs. Mosley & Taylor”

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great results steve and ei!

• posted by Pam1954
    on

Hi Bill

I am new to the forum but I want to see, not just congratulations on what you have achieved, but to thank you for all your inspiring posts which have been quietly spurring me on for the last few weeks. I have lost nearly a stone and my target is to get my BMI under 30 and to come off my blood pressure medication. You make it all seem so achievable. Thank you.

Pam 1954

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Bill- I sent it
    BTW
    I just found a great sounding recipe on dietdoctor.com. It’s called ‘soft low carb loaf of bread. ‘ I can’t put it on here because it’s not my recipe, but people might like to try it. I just need to work out non dairy alternatives for the cream cheese and heavy cream. I’m thinking soya yogurt.
    Penny

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Penny,
    If your soy yoghurt has live bacteria in it should be a good substitute. I’ve used natural yoghurt as a starter for making bread when I accidentally killed my sourdough starter. Yoghurt makes a good raising agent in bread.
    I’ve been experimenting with lupin flour lately trying to make a decent dough for pizza bases and focaccia. Had some spectacularly awful failures up to now. They look impressive but are very dry. Think I’ll need to up the oil, so they won’t be low cal unfortunately.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Cherianne
    Thanks for info. I think it’s ok if it’s not low cal , because the oil will stop you being hungry. The diet doc website says its dense bread so you ll only need one slice.
    I m going to have a go at it.
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Penny, the email didnt arrive, try again ?
    strange one this morning, I did a pre bedtime blood test last night for no real reason. I was a little upset to see it was 6.6 as yesterday was really an ultra low carb day, but hey ho I’ve been here before.
    Woke this morning and did my FBS expecting it to be up in the high 7’s to low 8’s.
    6.6, absolutely no movement overnight. I happy danced all the way to the shower, a total distance of about 10 feet but it’s all exercise, right ?
    To say I’m over the moon with that is an understatement, no late night fatty snack and just 1 metformin twice a day.
    It just keeps getting better. πŸ˜€

• posted by Spirit
    on

Morning all,

I shall be joining you all properly on Sunday as that will be the end of my 8 weeks. I too will be continuing the diet until the plane takes off. Lost 20lb to date. Slightly disappointing, I’d hoped for 2stone. ah well, onwards and upwards – or downwards!

on

Spirit,
    -20lbs is a great result (and there’s time to go)
    But the great thing is that the weight will keep coming off even if you up the kCals a bit.
    John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Spirit – 1 stone 6lbs!!! That is a lot of weight! 42 half pound packs of lard to be precise! Bet you couldn’t even lift that amount!! Like stringbreaker said – you still have some time to lose more! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, amazing!! I bet you still look twice at those readings!! You should happy dance all day πŸ™‚

• posted by Spirit
    on

Thanks everyone! When you visualise it in packs of lard/sugar whatever, it is a lot.

Well done too to Bill.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well I’m here at last and happy to join the band of veterans. I’m actually a week late, somehow lost a week along the way and did 9 weeks. Oh well. πŸ™‚
    I’m totally happy with my results, my blood sugars are consistently in the non diabetic range. I have fasting levels usually under 5, post meals usually under 6.
    That is what I had hoped to achieve from doing the BSD. I’ve lost about 2kg but that wasn’t a goal for me as I was already at the lower end of my weight range.
    I can live like this for the rest of my life now I know the key is low carb eating, and not being deprived of all the good foods I enjoy.
    The best part is finding a great bunch of like minded people on the forums, you are all so ready to support, encourage and have a laugh. Thank you.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome to al the latest veterans.

Just a quick check-in before I go to collect the twins.

Weighed in today at 12st 13lb so 4 pounds down from last weekπŸ˜ƒ Started at 16 stone, so now lost 43 pounds πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜±

My FBS seems to have settled under 5.

Catch up later – off to catch a train – packed breakfast in bag😊

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Just seen message about collecting the girls. Your family will be astonished when they see you πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrieanne welcome to the, should I say 9 weeks line, and after!

You have been so supportive to so many people on these forums and your medical knowledge has been invaluable.

I’m so pleased that you are in the non diabetic range – you richly deserve that result πŸ™‚

I feel like we are friends although we have never met. Isn’t it good that we know we can ditch the carbs and live healthily for the rest of our lives? πŸ™‚

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Captainlynne that is fanbloomingtastic! 43lvs is awesome you must be feeling like a new woman.

Jackie

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome to the party Cherrianne, your support on the forums has been brilliant, long may it continue.
    Lynne, you give us all something to aspire to, hope your family is bowled over at the sight of you.
    Judith, isn’t it amazing how people you would never otherwise meet can become firm friends in such a short space of time ?
    That’s a major bonus for me.
    2 stones gone now, great end to a fabulous week πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Thanks Judith and Bill, I feel like we are good friends too, just separated by distance. I know you ‘get’ me, and I appreciate your support and humour.
    I’m giving up on the lupin flour experiments Judith. I was trying to create a decent gluten free bread that was low carb but really didn’t come up with anything I’d be proud to post. I’ve got one last attempt on the go at the moment using yoghurt as a kind of sourdough starter, with a slow overnight prove. If that doesn’t work I’m going to try a millet/ coconut flour combination. I’ll need to use eggs and I’ll try the natural yoghurt again. I fancy a nice chewy sourdough type rustic loaf. Will let you know how it goes.
    I’m quite excited to think of how Lynne’s family will get a lovely surprise at how much slimmer and fitter she is. Those FBS are fantastic too. Sounds like everyone’s had a good week results wise, despite the Easter weekend. πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cherrieanne, what a shame about your breads. I hope the current attempt works!

I know, I can’t wait to hear what lynne s family say!

Well I went to M and S this morning to buy a loose white, fine cardi to go over summer tops/dresses. I saw two lovely dresses in the colours I can wear, in a style I would have avoided pre BSD. I tried on one with a zip up the back AND I walked out of the cubicle to ask an assistant to zip me up. I haven’t had the confidence to do that for YEARS!!! Upshot I have two beautiful new dresses in lovely colours AND a new loose cardi, or two, one white one navy and I had to go for size 12 cardies. I’m happy dancing!!!! Id sing if I still could :). πŸ™‚

on

Cherrianne – welcome to the “Vets” – I agree that this really does seem sustainable – for the first time I’m not heaving a sigh of relief that the big effort is over and I can now reach for the beer and sarnies.

Captainlynne – brilliant results – I do hope you’re allowing yourself to feel a bit smug πŸ˜‰

I’ve survived this week (Easter, my wife’s birthday and a pre-ordered “Champagne Afternoon Tea”) with no loss or gain – happy with that but determined to finish this job and get another 16 lbs off.

Burnt 610 kCals this morning on the bike so allowed myself a small piece of fruit cake at the destination cafe. A bike ride without cake is just not on.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Judith, congratulations on the shopping trip. I hope you will all be very happy together!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

What a day!!! Travelling was a nightmare but finally home.

For those who were wondering, the family said:

not a word 😳

Two adults and two children did not notice anything different!

Part of me did think ‘why do I bother?’ But then I realised that I’m not doing this for anybody but me. But it would be nice if someone occasionally made a nice comment. Those I see frequently, I can understand because they don’t see much change from week to week. When they do, they think it’s polite not to make personal comments. But the family haven’t seen me since about last October. Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!! I’ve got the twins for just over a week before their parents come over – at the moment I don’t know how long they’ll be staying – that could prove interesting! Today, in the few hours I was with them, I was offered a chicken sandwich, a fried egg sandwich or a pasty. All were graciously declined πŸ˜ƒ. Oh, and don’t forget the Mothers’ Day present of jams, chutneys etc from Lakeland that I was given today😳

Still, thanks to my family on here for your support and encouragement πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Captainlynne

My heart goes out to you. I am desperate that when I get off the plane in France on 3rd May, my son is going to say “you look great Mum and haven’t you lost loads of weight”. Were your family aware that you were on the BSD because, if not, maybe they felt they really shouldn’t mention your weight loss in case it wasn’t intentional!!

However, as you say, you’re doing it for you, not for anyone else and your family on here are full of love and support. I’m sure your local charity shop will be delighted with the jams and chutneys that you will be donating to them once your grandchildren are safely back in their own nest.

Stay strong Captainlynne – we are all very proud of you, and incredibly grateful for all the help and support you give to us.

Janice xxx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Captain Lynne – it’s the downside of the British culture not to comment. The other side of the coin for you is this: I am married to a Spaniard and every time we go over I am told how much fatter I have got! They don’t mince their words at all. We were over in February and I hadn’t lost enough then for it to be obvious. But hopefully next time. I am wondering if maybe when they are with you next week and it isn’t a rushed time they might notice. Or maybe they are jealous and that’s why they said nothing.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Sorry to have been absent for a while folks. Some amazing progress from you since I last checked in here. Keep up the good work all. I have been reading occasionally but not much as other things took over recently. I have been out running more (not that this has helped the weight loss but then I haven’t gained either!) which helps me to cope when stress at home is high – as it is just now with a daughter facing exams. I do wonder how much lack of sleep and stress hormones affect weight loss since I have been reasonably careful.

You all are inspirational and it is great to see the numbers over the 8 week line growing.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Grandma48. Thanks fir your kind comments, they brought a tear to my eye.

No they didn’t know about the BSD, but are so caught up in other things (DILs health and son’s work) that it probably didn’t register. But the girls are not known for their tact LOL.

As for the jams etc – what they don’t open will go very nicely at the church Summer fairπŸ˜ƒ

Julia

When I lived and worked in the East End of London folk their were blunt, making personal comments about anything and everything. When my (male) colleague was losing weight I was asked if he was ill, but previously the comments were about his large size😳

Be interesting to see how my Italian friends react when I go to visit them in June. I last saw them early November before I started this. And I had a cough I couldn’t lose, which has completely disappeared after being on BSD.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne, how disappointing for you, I really feel for you. Perhaps they are stressed and so caught up in their own problems it’s hard for them to see anything else. Sometimes people are hesitant to say anything in case one finds it insulting. Start shouting about your diet and see if anything changes. πŸ™

It is worth it Lynne because you are adding years to your life and we all need you on here for the wonderful support you give us all πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.