Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Carolg welcome to the veterans club!!

Fantastic FBS results! I agree with Bill, go into your appointment with all your literature and results and blast them with it!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Congratulations to the new veterans πŸ™‚

Spirit said above: I now have built a β€˜fort’ around me and yes, maybe some of that was the weight.

This hit a nerve for me. I separated from my wife last July after a 15yr relationship (married much less than that due to gay rights legislation; lack of). I’m waiting for her to sign the divorce papers. It wasn’t an abusive relationship unlike some of you above – how brave you guys have been to free yourselves! But I can see now that since July I’ve been building a fort made of carbs and now I’m starting to let it go.

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Please could one of you veterans help with regard to the fasting overnight? I am more than happy to eat my dinner about 6.00pm and then skip breakfast and not eat again until about midday the next day. However, I am still drinking my cups of tea, and, worse still, my coffee with cream – to which I am addicted! Well not really addicted, because I only ever have one or two a day, but of course the cream fills me up because of the lovely fat in it! Does that still constitute fasting, or should I only drink water between dinner and the next meal?
    Thank you everyone for all the help you provide.
    Janice

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Grandma48
    thanks for all the nice comments in the past BTW
    To me fasting is no food. I wouldn’t dream of dropping my morning coffee, in fact I’d fight to keep it, and it doesn’t seem to be causing me any harm.
    Start cutting out everything you enjoy and you’ll give up is my motto. A little of what you fancy can be good.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Grandma48
    I’m a vet this coming Friday so I hope you don’t mind me jumping in a little early. I agree with bill, your calories in your coffee won’t add up to much so you will still have gone a long time with only a tiny number of calories which is what we aim for with the fast. My fast is from 7 at night until maybe as late as 2 in the afternoon. I’m not recommending that to anyone, you understand, its only that I can manage it because I have a costa latte with full fat milk and it fills me up for a good while.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janice, I know purists would say don’t drink anything with a splash of milk or cream in that 16 hours but I would be demented without my morning coffee – so I still have it! I don’t think I am alone in that either!! πŸ™‚

Saw Bill and Janet’s responses after posting So am editing. I knew I wasn’t alone!!!

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Thank you all for those encouraging comments. I shall happily continue with the coffee and cream and consider myself on a fast!
    Janice

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Good on you Spirit, sometimes other people can shine a light on us that makes us see things differently. Sounds like you’ve had a ‘lightbulb moment’ and that will strengthen your resolve and add to your ‘why’. Well done.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all
    I am now on this thread as I finished my eight weeks with a final weigh in this morning, I have to confess that after all the visitors had left last night , we had 12 for dinner sat and 12 for lunch Sunday, then the local family stayed till 5ish, so after putting the house back to rights, we settled down and I had a coffee with cream and a chocolate eclair! However this morning I had lost another pound, mainly because I kept my carbs below 50g, anyway stop rambling christine. This morning I was 13.1! Yippee, I have lost 22lb, I intend to continue in this way until I reach a weight I am happy with, ideally I would like to lose in a few stages say half a stone then another until I feel comfy.
    I think another 22lbs and I will be happy. So onwards and upwards.
    Christine.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great stuff Christine glad to have you as a veteran.
    22 pounds down is excellent and nice to see you’re going to be around for a while yet.
    I have to sort of admit to being worried I couldn’t stick to what looks at first like a terrifying regime, I can’t believe I’m now blithely saying oh I’ll go another few weeks.
    It really has become a way of life and I’m not sure I want to change at the moment.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi bill1954
    Thank you so much bill, I never thought I would be here, however I stuck to my guns, even with a few wobbles I kept on keeping on, and as I said onwards and upwards, here’s to then next 22lbs.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi jimbob
    Welcome to the veterans club!
    You ve done well. That pound doesn’t matter!
    Re your kilt. When you’ve reached the weight you want you could get it altered.
    And re your knee- hope this isn’t interfering- but if you haven’t had one you need a diagnosis from an MRI scan. I had that and it turned out to be a torn miniscus. It’s very important NOT to walk if you have that. If it’s arthritis then walking is good. Only an MRI can tell which it us. I was misdiagnosed by the GP ( who just guessed arthritis) but luckily had read up on the internet beforehand. The amount of pain youre having sounds like it could be a torn miniscus, which can heal if rested for quite a few weeks. Otherwise it might not.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christine
    You ve done so well.
    Penny

• posted by Janemj
    on

Hi I completed the 8 weeks on 21st March and since then had an hbA1c result of 39! I had been diagnosed as a Tyoe 2 in Dec 2014 with an hbA1c of 93, I lost weight and started exercising in 2015 but couldn’t get below 10st. My BS was largely under control but I was unhappy taking meds and although I was aware of the research at Newcastle Uni I couldn’t find any support for it locally and was advised again extreme measures. When the BS diet book was published I determined to try it and I have found it a brilliant opportunity to get this horrible disease under control. I haven’t looked back since – I sailed through the 8 weeks, made sure that I ate properly and did 10,000 steps most days. I had good nourishing food – I adapted some of the Hairy Dieters’ recipes. I can honestly say that I wasn’t hungry at all. I am now off medication and am finding that I can manage my blood sugar levels back when I have had some lapses. Thank you Michael, it has been such a life changing experience and so empowering. I feel so privileged to have the chance to change my life for the better

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi pmshrink
    Thank you penny, I am very pleased with myself, it’s so good to be able to see the Weight I have lost and wear clothes I haven’t had on in two years!
    Keep in touch christine

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi Janemj
    Great story – I just hope the MM team is trawling the forum – the weight of evidence is growing. I can’t wait for his next major TV prog on the BSD
    Keep it up
    John

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the veterans club christine! πŸ™‚

Janemj welcome to you too! I’m so glad you have had so much success! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome to the new veterans. Our little group is growing bigger (in numbers, not weight!πŸ˜ƒ) week by week.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, the book arrived early this morning. It looks interesting and I’ll start it later.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi i started highlighting bits of mine this morning..:)

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Veterans

You have certainly earned that accolade after your war of attrition on carbs!

Today I’m finished; that is, just starting!
    My 8 weeks was to see what , if anything , I could achieve. I’m 16lbs down, BMI down 28, waist 3.5 inches lost, hips 2 inches, thighs 2.5 inches. FBS 9.5 – 4.8 varying between these figures a lot. I will probably have to loose another 16 lb to give myself half a chance at consistent low BS. I really have to keep very low carbs, probably even ketogenic diet ( fat for fuel) in the end.
    I’m happy, you see I relied on my knowledge gained from the 5:2 diet which took me 6 months to loose 2 stone
    & my BS were still no better! BUT, I did this 8 weeks by eye! I didn’t count calories or weigh food. I know what 500 calories looks like.
    I didn’t eat rice, pasta or sugar. I had potatoes 4 times & bread twice. They spiked me well & truly. I had 4 glasses of wine & 2 beers & 2 Mojitos in 8 weeks & I never finished one of them! I drank water like a fish & one glass of Fever Tree tonic with ice a day. I don’t like tea or coffee
    My husband joined me on the diet as his BS were prediabetic. He lost 18 lb & BMI 25, now in 34inch trousers not 38inch! BS fine.
    Now I get very serious. I know this is the eating life I (we) want to stay with – can stay with.
    I have the knowledge, the power of choice & the great stories & witness you have all borne. This can be done
    Too many carbs for type 2 diabetics are TOXIC.
    ‘ I do believe, we shall overcome one day’.

Eureka

on

Eureka – Brillian!
    Onwards and downwards.
    Keep us posted.
    John

• posted by jimbob
    on

Hi Penny thanks for input. MRI never been talked about and though its easy to self diagnose and go down the wrong road I can relate to what you are saying. Have given up on GP and treating with MSN which now seems to be kicking in albeit extremely slowly or is it that knee not now under the same pressure as was 6 weeks ago, perhaps a bit of both? Anyway feeling a bit more mobile just in last day or so can only be good. Now over the 28pounds as well woohoo!!! All the best with your own progress

Jim

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi eureka, welcome to the veterans club. You and hubby have acheived a lot in your first 8 weeks. I say ‘first’ because I think like me you don’t want to eat toxic carbs again!! πŸ™‚

• posted by jimbob
    on

Hi Skywalker I’m guessing that we must be approx same body shape and required weight loss. I don’t check BS daily get 6 months MOT for type 2 and have avoided medication other than BP and statins hopefully they will drop as well. 1st day in to post 8 weeks and as you say so easy
    All the best

JB

• posted by karra
    on

Well done Eureka, both you and your hubby are an inspiration to all of us just in the starting weeks, it really shows it can be done. You should really be proud of what you’ve accomplished in the 8 weeks and I’m sure you will continue on this journey as you know it does work, so it can only get better the longer you stay with the plan.

hugs
    Karra

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Thank you looking forward to losing more and keeping you posted!
    Sorry not up to reading or posting much, I am shattered after the busy weekend with family, then having to do a quick turnaround ready for next visitors coming Thursday, then our holiday on Sunday, I will be ready to rest when I get to my destination on Sunday night!m

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Stringbreaker, did you find your fage yoghurt?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Totally understood christine! You just do what you need to do and post when you have time. Enjoy your hols, yoy deserve them x

• posted by Eureka
    on

Many thanks for kind words

Stringbreaker – onwards & downwards like it. Now if I were to have a tattoo…….

hashimoto – Up the Revolution!

Karra – and change will come x

Out of quotes, going to bed
    Eureka

• posted by Hallie
    on

How wonderful to see such a supportive group and all the inspiring posts of success!

Two weeks in today and I’m 13lbs down, I also lost 2″ off my waist last week (don’t have a tape measure here in my parents’ house this week). I was really pleased that my blood sugar went from 5.6 to 5.2 the first week, but this morning it was 6.00. I was surprised because I was pretty stringent about the carbs, but I suppose spikes will happen and it was a stressful week.

I’ve found it hard going though. The end of last week, I really felt ill like I had the flu. I felt so shaky and weak that I could barely get out of bed. When I looked on the internet it said ‘keto flu’ when your body goes into ketosis was common and to up your salt levels which helped a bit. I’m feeling tireder and tireder which is surprising because the doctor said the fatigue from my anemia should lift around Easter, which is why I thought it would be a good time to start this diet and really give myself a boost. When I looked over my last blood test result however think they might indicate that I have iron anemia rather that B12 anemia, because my neurological problems have improved but my fatigue and breathlessness have gotten worse. I’m a bit gutted to be honest, I’ve been looking forward to getting my strength back after over a year of feeling like crap, but it’s back to the doctor this week and (if I’m lucky and it’s just iron) it’ll possibly take another few months to see an improvement.

The harder it’s been the more I wanted to stick with the diet so I wouldn’t have to start again :-). The last few days I have really not felt great though. I’ve finally decided today to listen to my body, stop the diet, go to the doctors, and try and start again when I’m feeling better. I’ve been hungry and craving carbs since I began, I had some potatoes for dinner and some dessert and felt the better for it. I don’t know why, maybe my body is just craving carbs for energy. Disappointing but I’m going to try to stick to 5:2 and eat as best I can in the meantime. You guys definitely make me want to get back to it as soon as possible so I can join the veterans club party!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hallie I’m sorry to hear about your fatigue problems, I. Hope your doctor can get you sorted quickly! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hallie, that does sound like something for your GP to look at.
    Eureka, what can I say ? you echo my thoughts of not over thinking this, it doesn’t take long to figure out portion sizes as long as you’re careful about the carbs. Yet more inspiration for new starters.
    Karra, I think it’s great that you can come and congratulate others when you, yourself are having teething problems. Well done you, that’s a fantastic attitude you have there.
    Lynne, is it this month you go for blood tests, can’t remember. People keep telling me they look up to me! I look up to you, you’re my big hitter πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Thanks for the hugs Spirit πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Congrats to all the new veterans from a not-there-yet bod!

And a question for all of you: what are you doing with your old too-big clothes? Getting rid or keeping them just in case?

I’m in two minds. I’ve yo-yo’d so much in the past that common sense tells me to keep them. I’ve got rid once or twice before and had to buy new fat clothes. But emotionally I feel like I want to get rid of them all because keeping them is like subconsciously expecting to fail again.

Thoughts?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Newlife……..get rid of the fat clothes….this is your new life, right? If you put a few pounds on you know how to deal with it fadt, right?. πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Newlife, Hashi is right.
    You have no intentions of going back to the way you were and you know how to deal with things if the weight starts creeping back.
    Bin or charity shop I say πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bill *waves*

Thanks for your kind comment πŸ˜ƒ

I go for my HbA1c on 20th April. Annual review with all bloods will be July. I’m making an appointment with the diabetes nurse for when results are in on HbA1c – that should be interesting πŸ˜ƒ. We’re both away the week after the test so probably early May before I get the results.

It’ll be interesting to get all the results in July – see how much things have changed in just over 6 months.

Hi New Life
    Get rid of the fat clothes. You’ll not need them again, will you!

If you have to, keep one item – to remind you how big you were, but dispose of everything else and fill your wardrobe with nice new smaller clothes.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hash, Lynne and Bill, thanks!

I think when I hit 2st I’m going to do a wardrobe cull and if I’m still feeling as confident as I am now I’ll get rid. Some of my thin clothes have too many associations with my marriage and they may have to go too. At this rate I’ll need to buy a whole new wardrobe πŸ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi newlife, like me your grocery bill must have shrunk too. Save the difference and spend it on new clothes! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Good point Judith. And if you’re like me – fewer dark colours in that wardrobe.

After years of navy and not much else , my wardrobe now needs sunglasses. At least for tops! Need to talk myself into buying brighter skirts and trousers now😳

• posted by Spirit
    on

Another vote for chucking the ‘fat’ clothes.

I’m trying to exist on what I have already got for now. Luckily I work from home so haven’t had to buy a work wardrobe.

However, watch out shopping malls in Orlando, I’m coming to gettcha!

• posted by NewLife
    on

Good point Hash about spending less on junk food πŸ™‚

Thanks Spirit, so far the consensus is 100% in favour of getting rid!

I’ve just ordered a pedometer, I think I need to go and lie down.

on

Wise move Hallie to listen to your body.
    My wife needed to go back on some “conventional” carbs and felt much better for it. She still managed -20lbs over the 8 weeks.

on

Hi just resubscribinh

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Over the 8- Week line and still going strong. Determined to do this diet until I get down to ‘normal ‘weight zone. Not sure how long it will take me to get down to a healthy BMI. Only lost 1lb this week but as hubby said, if I carried on at that rate I would lose over 2 stones in a year. Note to self …..that sounds too long……and surely he doesn’t think I need to lose over 2 stones….oops he may be right!!
    Saw the Diabetic Nurse yesterday and asked loads of questions. Diagnosed Type 2 just over 9 weeks ago so a bit of a Newbie
    She was pleased with the weight loss of 21lbs but I was really disappointed with with my HBA1c result of 7.2%
    Realized later that the result would have only recorded 7 weeks of being on the BSD and Metformin.
    Looking forward to better results in the future, losing more weight and coming off medication, if possible.
    Still feeling positive.
    Hope our positive attitudes and results motivate other people to persevere with their diets. Good luck everyone.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

She has reason to be pleased, not only with the weight loss but by the fact that you have taken a grip of your condition and decided to do something about it.
    If you were just diagnosed 9 weeks ago that was probably your first HbA1c test so you have nothing to compare it with.
    Your next one, be it 3 months or 6 months down the line, should tell a very different story.
    Congratulations on becoming a veteran, it looks like a fair few of us are going to be around for a while yet

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Thanks I feel a lot better today, I have put a post on ‘my eight weeks’ I don’t suppose it matters where you post however I had an interesting conversation with my daughter today when she called in, you must try and read it if you can find it, I’m still no good on these computer contraptions, you wouldn’t believe I used to work with them years ago when they were as big as a room!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi christine i have read it and replied! Takez a while for posts to show sometimes. It made my day. You are doing really well πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.