Our Next Interactive 4 Week Challenge ends Tues 21st Feb

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by topcac
    on

Oh Inka and Bissell – thank you – you are right, of course, I’m just down on myself. However, you’ve forced me to look at the wins which were:
    1. I didn’t eat all 22 of them – the rest went in the bin and are now long gone from my office
    2. I had a BSD friendly dinner when I got home and am back on plan today
    3. I can usually eat one or two squares of dark chocolate without any problem so I should see it as a blip, nothing more.

Thank you again xxx

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Hello fellow 4-weekers,
    Topcac – I totally feel your pain as I do just that too! I had convinced myself that I would no longer slip back to old ways but I have learnt that, in my case, Scoffy McScofface is always lurking just beneath the surface. Great to see that you have picked yourself up and are back on track. Focus on the good X

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi topcac don’t beat yourself up …. you’re human!!!

You only fail if you fail to get back on track so no failure just a lesson learned …. stick with the few squares if dark chocolate and you won’t go far wrong.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi BSDers
    Today is my official weigh in and I have lost three pounds of the 6.5 I gained whilst on holiday. Dissapointed it was not more, but my rings feel tight and I am hoping for a big whoosh soon!
    Now for week 2 and my aim is to weigh everything and not guess, but I will not weigh greens and salads for now. I think and hope that life is too short to weigh a lettuce leaf.
    X B

• posted by BirdLady
    on

Hello! Hope you don’t mind me joining in, i’ve been going a week now and lost 3 pounds – only joined the forum yesterday and have been having a good read through all the posts.

My goals are to lose another 4 pounds by the 21st Feb when the challenge ends and continue to get out walking at least 3 or 4 times a week whatever the weather.

I don’t have diabetes (but it’s in the family as my younger brother has type 2) but i’m at least 2 stone overweight. I’m late 50s and post-menopausal.

Anyway, time to do something about my weight and fitness…

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hmm, 2 posts I sent over the last couple of days have not shown up. Up there somewhere?? I don’t imagine I’ve broken any rules, lol.

Anyway, given the impressive level of activity here, there is no point in trying to reconstruct them. Suffice it to say I’ve been cheered by some posts, saddened by others, and always greatly interested in the conversations. They keep me coming back, even while I’m talking the talk, not walking the walk just now. I need to narrow my focus, concentrate.

As I said, you all keep me coming back. It’s the way you share your successes, your challenges (some really significant ones), your support and advice for others…just brilliant.

I weighed in this morning at 62.8kg i.e .3kg up on last week. Not huge, I know, but the significance is in the 62kg +/- .3 for the last few weeks, and as I’m a shortie, still overweight on the BMI. My late father would have said “straighten up, sailor (he having been a navy man), or you’ll fall overboard!”

Still eating emotionally, would so like to get back to the feeling of being able to boast, just a tiny bit, about how I’m looking after myself. All right, Dad, I hear you……..
    Sorry, I’m venting again.

I do wish everyone the very best that they want for themselves this week.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, can I say Topcat at least you have made me feel better after having a few drinks over the weekend my weight loss is zilch. Although technically my weigh in is tomorrow. Don’t beat yourself up, you are back on track.

Marsie, you might have hit the return arrow (top left hand corner of screen) instead of refreshing the Forums button. I know that is how I lost posts.

I will weigh again tomorrow but in the meantime my BG was 3.4 yesterday afternoon so I reduced my insulin AGAIN, just one unit at a time and this morning it was 4.2, so I am still running low. I will leave things as they are for now and maybe reduce insulin again in a couple of days. Maybe, just maybe, I don’t really need the insulin any more but I am still going to get off it slowly so as not to cause a high reading.

Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well here we are, Day 7(?) of the 4 week challenge, and still the scales show no sign of downward movement πŸ™ Thankfully, they show no signs of upward movement either, so guess I’ll have to take that as a plus!! No reduction in waist measurement either πŸ™

I’m sticking to BSD800 totally 100% – though actually, it’s often more like BSD700. I really hope the lbs start to drop off again soon – going on holiday next weekend for 10 days and if no more weight has come off by then, I know I will be far more likely to succumb to temptation. I’ll have no scales available, bathroom or kitchen, to weigh either myself of my food and I know there will be alcohol involved, particularly as we are going with very good, fun but rather “boozy” friends!! Lack of alcohol hasn’t been too much of a problem so far as O/H always practices Dry January, but tomorrow is Feb 1st so…………………..

Achieving my 4 week challenge (3.6kg lost) is looking more and more unlikely πŸ™ Surely by now I am due some reward for my efforts to date?

Well done to all of you who are on target though, and Topcac – you should definitely consider it a success that you managed to throwaway as many choccies as you actually consumed πŸ˜‰

• posted by Snoop
    on

Topcac, you did far better than I would have done under the circumstances. I would have polished that box of chocolates off. Maybe not in five minutes, but I wouldn’t have thrown them out. No way. So congratulations.

Sunshine-girl, looking good on the insulin front. Congratulations.

And Theodora, keep the faith. If you really are sticking to the diet strictly, the weight is bound to come off eventually. Don’t get anxious and don’t starve yourself just to make it happen. You need the nourishment that comes with a healthy 800 calories.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Theodora, I notice you say sometimes its more like BSD700. My mum found that when she didn’t eat her full amount of calories (800) it didn’t really benefit her weight loss. It’s different for everyone but how about making sure you eat all 800cal a day?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Baristagirls and Snoop – thanks for your encouragement and advice. I know I will lose weight eventually on 800 or less calories – too low to do otherwise – it is just a bit disheartening to go an entire 7 days with nothing to show for it – or rather too much still to show! πŸ˜‰

As far as the 700 cals are concerned, it is definitely not deliberate, but I don’t have lunch, never have and probably never will, as I eat breakfast late (I walk the dogs for a couple of hours first). I just select the meals I fancy for the week and put them into FatSecret, and sometimes they just come out at less than 800. I always have the same for breakfast – Greek yoghurt and berries, which I really enjoy. Then, for example, on Saturday my dinner consisted of egg en cocotte (baked with mushrooms, Greek yoghurt and topped with cheese), followed by a poached salmon fillet on top of a huge pile of wilted spinach, all topped with hollandaise and my calorie intake for the day came to 701.
    Then, on Sunday I had another 2 course dinner consisting of smoked haddock baked with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and topped with cheese, followed by roast lamb, redcurrant jelly, mint sauce, gravy, roasted cauliflower topped with parmesan, green beans and tenderstem broccoli and my day’s calorie intake still only came to 764 (including my normal breakfast of yoghurt and berries) and, frankly I struggled to eat it all. During the week, I only have one course for dinner, so calories can drop even lower.

In fact, I often find myself munching on a handful of nuts that I don’t feel I need, just to make up the calories – not too much of a hardship as I love nuts, but am aware that I’m not eating them because I am hungry, which surely goes against all MM’s teachings?

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Theodora, I’ve low carbed (but not low cal) for many years and not eating enough definitely leads to stalling. UP your portions of fat a bit and the losses will come.

SG, so glad your BS has come good.
    I’m celebrating two days with no Glicozide and no hypos, hurrah! BS is stable again at 5.2 and I feel in control. But have lost diddly squat for 6 days. So I probs need to re-evaluate my planning and take my own advice! MKx

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

So tomorrow is my official weigh in day. Hoping I’m down a pound. Was away with work and family so not as strict as when normal life is happening. Had quite a few glasses of red wine…. food wise managed to stay away from the carby food in the main so that’s good. Even 1lb down from last Wednesday would be welcome. I’ve always been a breakfast eater but finding I’m not in the mood for food in the morning. Anyone else find that? Good luck all.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thanks for the advice MK. I am having between 50g and 65g or fat a day – is that not enough? I never feel hungry now, and sometimes I struggle to finish my meal if I is 2 courses (which the family expect at the weekend – well, they actually get 3 – I find it hard to believe that I used to eat that much too) but to please you, I have just had another handful of nuts!! πŸ˜‰

Hoping for a whoosh moment soon! πŸ™‚

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, I know that .2 of a pound is only just over 3 ounces, but this morning I got into the ten stone bracket for the first time in years. 10 stone 13.8 pounds! Yay!

I know it may well bounce over the line again with normal fluctuations but it has cheered me up this morning.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hey Rosebery

Enjoy the victory, it’s going in the right way.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You know I said yesterday that I didn’t think I’d make the eight stone off by my two year anniversary weigh in this morning, well, I (very nearly) did at 10 stone 11.4 pounds. Considering when I initially weighed in on Feb 1st 2015 I didn’t record fractions, just being horrified at what I’d let myself balloon up to, and recording 18 stone 11 as my peak weight, I think counting this as making my goal is quite valid. So to anyone looking to lose huge amounts, it can be done, I’ve had days, weeks, even a whole month once of weight gains and stalls due to ‘life’ but if you get back your focus afterwards and just start again, you have all the tools to make this work for the rest of your life, like I intend to. So I will be happy dancing all day at work today, before a double session of badminton tonight, which should make 10,000 steps a breeze. Onwards and downwards all πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• posted by Bissell
    on

Brilliant result Mixmatch, I’m really thrilled for you! Congratulations!!!!!!

• posted by Rosebery
    on

That’s brilliant Mixnmatch certainly puts my delight over 3 ounces in the shade! .4 of a pound is nothing you are quite right to count that as a fantastic victory!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Rosebery, I have had those days where I have been static for so long that the slightest downward shift is to be celebrated, especially when it takes you to a mini-goal like under the next stone. I am sure you will be ‘happy dancing’ along with me today, and using plenty of calories. Let’s hope you get a bit more wiggle room at your next weigh in.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Every victory is a victory. Congratulations to everyone recording one, big or small, or simply keeping on going or starting up again.

• posted by Natalie
    on

In the last 4 week challenge roasted cauliflower rice was mentioned, and I finally got around to making it tonight. It was delicious! I could have eaten it by itself instead of as a side for satay chicken and vegetables. I riced about a quarter of cauliflower in the food processor (didn’t eat it all in the end). Spread it on a baking tray with a little olive oil, some salt and onion powder. I didn’t time it but I think it was about 20 mins before parts were turning brown, 180 degrees C. I quite liked the cauliflower rice I was making before by steaming it in the microwave, but this was another level entirely.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks for that Natalie
    I wanted to make the rice but had lost the link. Is that 180C fan oven or not? Do you think the onion powder makes a big difference to the flavour?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Mixnmatch – what a fantastic achievement, I am in awe of you. Doing the happy dance with you πŸ˜‰

Having not lost anything for over a week, I decided not to weigh myself today – it is sooo discouraging to see the scales stalling in exactly the same place day after day. So I am going to TRY to hold out until Friday before weighing again, by which time it will be 12 days since the scales registered a loss. If they are still static then, I shall…………..well, I don’t know what I shall do, other than attempt to keep on keeping on despite going on holiday at the weekend. I KNOW that on 800 calories or less a day, the scales will have to move in a downward direction sooner or later – just hope it is sooner, so that I can go away feeling encouraged to keep going rather than discouraged and falling into temptation!! The one thing worse than the scales not moving downwards would be the scales moving upwards by the time I return!!!

Hope everyone else is on target for achieving their goal?

on

Mixnmatch you are amazing. Cheers all round.

Theodora, I am in a similar postition to you, as I have lost just quarter of a pound. That does take me to 72.9 kgs so hopefully that is the 73 said bye bye to.

BG steady at 5.7, so settling down after my reductions. Will keep meds the same for now. Had a 30 min swim this morning, I would do longer but I go with a couple who swim like professionals, powering up and down the pool so they want to get out after 30 mins of intense exercise. I pootle along at my own pace and could easily do 40 or 50 mins. Never mind I will do as I like when we open our pool (in April).

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl. That’s a reasonable suggestion. I’ll keep it on mind.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Congratulations Mixnmatch what a great achievement. I’m down a pound since last Wednesday so very happy with that. One pound a week will do for me as long as it’s in the right direction. Good luck all.

on

Mix match, you’ve lost a whole Kylie Minogue! A whole PERSON! Well done on keeping on. Eight stones is life changing, fabulous and inspirational. MKx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – that is a stunning weight loss. Have you got used to seeing a slender person when you look in the mirror – or is it still a bit of a shock when you realise just how slim you are now?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think I have got used to it now, but it did take a while. Mum still double-takes sometimes, says my profile looks wrong when she catches a glimpse out of the corner of her eye as she is used to the old me. I think I look more like the me I remember again, where before I just saw my weight.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Ridiculously, today I’ve lost another three ounces! 10 stone 13.6 pounds. I suppose 3 ounces a day would add up over time. So glad it hasn’t immediately bounced back into the 11s! πŸ‘

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – you have done so stunningly well. It is so inspirational to read about how well you are doing. Do keep posting – it’s so good to hear about how well this way of eating works long-term.

• posted by topcac
    on

Ooh – it’s quiet on here. I assume everyone is out walking, at the gym, batch cooking, working hard, meal planning or shopping for next week!

I’m at my desk, eating full fat yoghurt with nuts and blueberries and contemplating hyperlinks – that’s why I came on here. I’m so bored LOL

After the chocolate mishap on Monday I’ve steadied myself – still not weighed in but am logging everything and still going to the gym – rowing running and swimming – not quite at triathlon distance yet (!!!!) but about 10% there!

Looking forward to the weekend with bridesmaid dress shopping, a meal out and the gym. Have a good one all
    TC xx

• posted by Theodora
    on

WooHoo – after 12 days with absolutely no loss registering on either the scales or the tape measure, I am pleased to report that the FAMINE IS OVER !! πŸ™‚ Seem to have had a “whoosh” moment, literally overnight (well, the last time I weighed was actually Wednesday, so may have actually been over 2 nights) and the scales this morning measured a loss of 3.25lbs (1.47kg) πŸ™‚ And the tape measure a loss (my first) of 2″ around my middle πŸ™‚

3.25lbs (1.47kg) down, 4.75lbs (2.13kg) to go.

So hopefully MAY be back on track for achieving my challenge of losing 3.6kg by 21st Feb – though it will some doing as it means over a kg a week, as only 18 days left, and I will be on holiday for 10 of those days!! But, just so relieved that the scales are moving again and, more to the point, in the right direction πŸ™‚

Hope everyone else is doing ok – nearly half way through now.

Topcac, enjoy your weekend’s shopping – exciting times for the new slender you πŸ™‚

• posted by Busybee
    on

Great news Theodora. You sound so determined I’m sure you will make your challengegoal
    Isn’t it great when the Whoose Fairy visits? I too have enjoyed her visits this week and have lost the six pounds I gained whilst on holiday the week before last. I love that any gained weight comes off when I really stick to this WOL.
    X B

on

Well Theodora, I had a bit of a whoosh, just 1lb but enough to keep me on the straight and narrow over the weekend, keep thinking today is Saturday (you can tell I don’t work).

Besides the weight loss my BG is around 4.6 although it did go up to 6.4 yesterday so I have increased insulin back to my 22 units for now. I really dont have much to say, I have now been on this plan for 7 months at 28th Jan, lost 19lbs but reduced insulin from 38u to 22u and glycazide from 90mg to 45mg. Next HbA1c due around 7th March.

Hope it is a good weekend for you all (from tomorrow of course)

• posted by Marsie
    on

Woohooing with you Theodora, we’ll deservedπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Good news, Theodora, a visit from the whoosh fairy is always appreciated and the fact that the weight loss was accompanied with inch loss is a bonus, and shows that the fat loss is from the right place.

Week one exercise focus completed for me, the weight is back up to 11:00 at this morning’s weigh in but I know there could be all sorts of reasons for that so am not worried or despondent. I managed to make my target of three days at 10,000 steps (one of which included two sessions of badminton, the other two were just walking). And managed to make at least 5,000 steps on the other four days. I have also picked up a three day trial pass for a new local gym. I missed one day on the ‘hold a plank for a minute’ challenge, but completed the other six and will definitely try to continue both of these challenges into my next phase which is trying to get the right amount of sleep every day, not just most of them. I have had a couple of days this week under 7 hours and want to get a solid week in of over 8 hours by going to bed earlier.

I have been looking into the concept of reverse dieting to try to speed up a slowed metabolism after a successful diet, rather than just going straight into maintenance and believe I will give that a try, I reckon that will be another about 8 week period, and will wait until after my wedding anniversary to try it. Done properly and slowly enough, there should be no weight gain, just the body readapting to higher carbs slightly. I am not moving back to the white stuff but would like more complex carb options, and to be able to regard vegetables in the majority as unlimited again, I do miss sweet potatoes and would like to be able to have the occasional one without worrying about carb levels..

• posted by wendyq
    on

Well done Theodora and Mixnmatch for doing so well with your goals.I have done better this week eating less carbs but have eaten quite a bit of fish,eggs and cheese in order to do so.Not sure what I’m going to do next week,will see what happens when I get weighed in a few days.I would prefer to eat more plant based foods but they’re so high in carbs,need to study more about it and plan.I’ve been going to the gym more than last week and really enjoying it.Hope we can all be good this weekend,it’s always more of a challenge for me.The other day I spent some time looking at the forums and was really impressed by how so many people are doing and incredible stories of weight loss and determination.I find it very motivating and inspiring.

on

At blinking last! 9 days no loss. Yesterday, welcomed in the whoosh fairy with 3lbs off. Had 3 nights of great sleep, am sure that’s no coincidence, also stayed off scales for 4 days. Hurraayyyyyyyyy. MKx

on

I am just a bit fed up with it so having a few days off, this weekend and then Tuesday is my birthday but we are not going out until Wednesday. After that I will get straight back on. BUT when I say have time off I still wont be having any white starchy carbs and will generally be eating good stuff, just not counting every blinking thing. Having said that, I have drawn up my menu for the next week and it still comes in around 750 cals so I think it will be a few glasses of wine that will be my extras. Will come back on here on Thursday but right now I dont want to be thinking about it day and night. Hopefully I wont do too much damage.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    Hope you have a lovely birthday and enjoy your glasses of wine.

Theadora, Sunshine-girl, Busybee and Maharani kitten – the whoosh fairy has definitely been very busy this week.

Wendyq – Good luck for your weigh in.

Mixnmatch – what a super mix of different types of exercise.

We went on a lovely snowdrop walk today. The weather was glorious here in East Anglia. The event was to raise money for repairs to two churches. I knew that the homemade lunch provided would not be BSD friendly so I put some Kefir and flaxseeds topped with fage yoghurt in a little tub.

After an absolutely lovely walk we had our lunches. Or rather my sister and her husband and my husband did and so did the dogs. I had carefully packed the Labradors food and water and cream for the coffee I purchased but had left my lunch at home in the fridge. Luckily I had 2 squares of 90% Lindt chocolate in my rucksack. So Lindt saved the day and I didn’t feel deprived.

on

A snowdrop walk ! Now that’s what I call a non food treat, how lovely! MKx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl

HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!!

Have a lovely day and enjoy your break from BSD. We all need one now and again!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maharani kitten – the snowdrop walk was lovely. It was in the extensive grounds of a house that only opens 3 times a year so it was a real treat to see the first signs of spring.

The lunch was all homemade and was an absolutely enormous carb fest. It is now 9 months since I have had even one mouthful of starchy or sugary carbs and the longer I stay away from them the less appealing they become. Thank goodness it isn’t the case that ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ when it comes to carbs.

on

Spring comes a little later this far north, but I’m definitely going to hunt out a snowdrop walk I just love the idea of it. Thanks Krysia MK x

• posted by Snoop
    on

Happy birthday, Sunshine-girl. Hope you have a great break.

Krysia, it’s an interesting thing about not missing starchy carbs or wanting them. On another forum I post on, someone was talking about fish and chips, and my initial reaction was “Ugh, who’d want to eat that?” The fact is that I used to, but I can’t imagine doing so now. I went out for a pub lunch with my parents last time I was back in Britain and it came with the inevitable chips. I didn’t enjoy them. And when I think about it, I’m pretty sure I only used to like them because they were a salt vehicle. I don’t want to sound smug, because I still have plenty of failings! Anything with salt, basically. Perhaps I ought to get my blood pressure checked!

Have a great day, everyone.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hurraaay Maharani Kitten :).

Happy birthday Sunshine-girl. Enjoy your break, won’t you. You sound as though you’ve planned meticulously for it. Cheers.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Well, just had my Monday weigh-in and down to 17st 13lb, which is my lowest weight for at least the last 25 years and my first target for this challenge. /*Celebratory cup of matcha*/

Also, I sat down with the conditioning coach at my local rugby club to devise a weights/resistance schedule and made the first three sessions, so the “getting some structure into the exercise” goal is taking shape.

I did 14 miles in the Peaks (although mainly on the flat) yesterday and can definitely feel it in the hamstrings this morning. Fortunately working from home, so may have another bath later.

Need to put a new hole in the belt……..

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Happy Birthday Sunshine-girl!

MK – snowdrops already out the other week in Scottish Borders, and tonnes out in Edinburgh now. You must be much farther north!

My weight only half kilo down – plateau time for me, as I have been reasonably good. I’m in this for the long haul, though.

Have a great Monday, all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.