Our Next Interactive 4 Week Challenge ends Tues 21st Feb

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi JM

Well done! Nothing is as good as going down into the next stone unless of course it’s making another hole in your belt!!!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

JM – congrats on the weight loss! Always encouraging to get into another bracket.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Hi Julia18. I’m just north of Auld Reekie so I guess I just haven’t been looking hard enough. But right enough, there are several places advertising snowdrop walks in their grounds so a friend and I are going out tomorrow for a virtuous cup of tea and a stroll among the Galanthus! MKx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All,Ive not been on these forums lately and I did not take up this challenge. Basically I have to start again. I suffered a serious bout of constipation when I went back to work and completely forgot to drink for several days. I fixed it with a lot of fresh fruit all kinds but mostly Kiwi fruit and gallons of juice.I know its a lot of carbs. When I started back to the routine. I find that I have no energy in the afternoon and feel totally exhausted. So following old habits, I eat too much to get the energy that I need to get things done in the evening.
    To make matters worse, I have been celebrating the Chinese new year with a lot of sweet treats and banquet meals Its worse than Christmas .It all got too difficult and I gave up
    Today, I’m 2kg up and my fasting BGL is 6.2 .So I need to find some determination and a strategy to have enough energy in the afternoon. My mini goal to loose 1 KG this week and resist all incorrect foods.walk my steps on non work days and go to bed earlier,maybe more sleep will help.Im greatful to any ideas.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All,Ive not been on these forums lately and I did not take up this challenge. Basically I have to start again. I suffered a serious bout of constipation when I went back to work and completely forgot to drink for several days. I fixed it with a lot of fresh fruit all kinds but mostly Kiwi fruit and gallons of juice.I know its a lot of carbs. When I started back to the routine. I find that I have no energy in the afternoon and feel totally exhausted. So following old habits, I eat too much to get the energy that I need to get things done in the evening.
    To make matters worse, I have been celebrating the Chinese new year with a lot of sweet treats and banquet meals Its worse than Christmas .It all got too difficult and I gave up
    Today, I’m 2kg up and my fasting BGL is 6.2 .So I need to find some determination and a strategy to have enough energy in the afternoon. My mini goal to loose 1 KG this week and resist all incorrect foods.walk my steps on non work days and go to bed earlier,maybe more sleep will help.I’m greatful for any ideas.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Butterlover, at least you’re back on it. That counts as a success in my book. Far better that than just giving up altogether. Good luck for the week ahead.

In my case:
    Today’s weigh-in: 76.9 kg
    Loss for the week: 1.5 kg
    Total loss: 12.3 kg

No idea why I seem to be losing so much faster at the moment, as I’m worrying less than before about net carbs and am over slightly on the calories most days (even had 350 ml of wine last night). Maybe it’s my metabolism kicking up for spring. Whatever the reason, I’m very pleased with the last couple of weeks.

Have a good week, guys.

on

Missed my rowing again this morning by staying in bed too late. It’s willfull rebellion. I need to get a grip. FBS is 4.8. Working hard inc weekends at the moment and feel like I’m in some sort of weird sleepy pocket. Hopefully a walk out in the winter sun this afternoon will pick me up a bit. Mkx

• posted by wendyq
    on

Lost 1 pound.Knew it wouldn’t be much as it was hubby’s birthday yesterday and I ate too many carbs and calories .I feel more focussed for this coming week and will do better at writing down everything I eat.I need to stick to the plan 100% then will see great results but how to do it?We had lots of visitors at the weekend who brought lovely food.Instead of avoiding their food I had a little taste,too many little tastes.So I didn’t write all these extras down ,just missed those days out .On a positive note,I ate a lot less carbs last week than the week before so I’m learning something.I’ve also been going to the gym more ,actually look forward to going now rather than having to drag myself there.Next week I’ll be under 13st .Do most of you plan what you eat?maybe that’s what I need to do more.I’m learning a lot,thanks for everyone who posts on here ,who gives tips and ideas and tells of their ups and downs.Good luck for the coming week everyone.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I plan our food for the day in the morning. This gives me a bit of flexibility depending on what happened the previous day, but makes me focus on healthy options before the time to cook comes and I’m starving hungry and anything quick (i.e. pasta) will do. If I don’t plan, I don’t make such good choices.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all – stayed the same this week but since I’m trying to maintain that’s a RESULT. However, I seem to have completely lost my way and am finding carbs almost impossible to resist – I think I have inadvertently awoken the monster and I think I know why. I took my eye off the ball – all I seem to think about is work and my wedding – and it’s not for months yet!! I need to get back to focus on the plan – lovely to hear Michael Mosley on Radio Two this morning – Chris Evans has gone sugar free for February and he’s positively evangelical about it. He’s not doing the 8WBSD but he’s getting the sugar free word out there….

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Snoop – I wonder if the carbs are not so appealing now is because our alternatives are just so much nicer. One of my daughter’s who is following the med style diet said that they are eating courgetti or stir fried cabbage and kale instead of rice and they can’t believe how much nicer it is than rice. Also they absolutely love Greek yoghurt and find it much better than the flavoured ones they were buying.

JulesMaigret – well done on your weight loss and the impressive number of miles you are clocking up.

Have been catching up with this thread before I dash off to work. It has been lovely reading everyone’s posts this morning.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Krysia

I think you’re right. As part of the mind-games I’m playing with myself, I actually think all I have done is remove the bland white things/filler from my meals and kept the tasty “fuel”.

I know it’s not wholly true, but it’s a helpful thought (to me, anyway)

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello all,

JulesMaigret, such a good feeling for you, so in control, plus having to cinch in that belt another notch! congrats….

Topcac, I understand what you say about your carb monster. Disappointing isn’t it? Why don’t we see if we can wave goodby to our respective monsters together.

To everyone else, well done for your results and/or for staying with the WOL

As for me, weighed in at 63kg this morning. Have just looked back to my starting weight for this challenge and it was 63.2kg. Means I’ve been losing and gaining the same kilo and a bit for this 2weeks. So still circling. Had a cuppa with Butterlover this morning. Good to talk as always. Thanks BL. Giving some further thought to some of our conversation around BSD, I’ve concluded that, for the past few months at least, I have fair reason to be experiencing a (mild)bout of reactive depression. Having always been an emotional eater anyway, I can probably say I’ve done well to have “maintained” even while falling in and out of this WOL. Makes me feel a little brighter…….so keep on keeping on. Thanks again BL.

• posted by Snoop
    on

JM, that is definitely what I have done. Plus I’ve cut down a lot on the wine and I’m eating the tasty fuel in much smaller amounts. I find this quite encouraging because it does feel like a regime I can keep up for life.

• posted by topcac
    on

I’m all for that Marsie – have my waving hand ready. Feel like singing I Will Survive..’GO ON NOW GO, WALK OUT THE DOOR, JUST TURN AROUND NOW, ‘COS YOU’RE NOT WELCOME ANY MORE – how apt….

• posted by Marsie
    on

😊😁😂topcac. Except I now have that song bouncing around in my head just as I’m heading for bed….musical snores tonight, lucky OH, lol

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Good morning all from drowning California — we’ve got another “atmospheric river” going on and it is pouring this morning.
    I wanted to reply to you, Snoop, because of your comments regarding your weight losses “speeding up”. That is really interesting because it happened to me too — my body started to “work right” (as I perceived it) after my four month or so and the weight dropped off faster than before even though I got a bit slack in calorie counting,
    I surmise that we are re-booting our metabolism with the WOL — its just different now and I can’t even really say why. But, it’s a welcome outcome and has made maintenance easy.
    Have others had this development?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Interesting, Californiagirl. It’s very odd because I’m hardly doing any exercise at all at the moment. I’m stuck at my computer pretty well all day because I’ve been inundated with work (I’m self-employed, so I take whatever I can get and can cope with), and it’s been freezing fog or rain here for weeks, so I’ve not been out much or done any gardening. I can’t really account for it. Which is why I was guessing it was to do with the longer day length and spring being on the way.

The are two other possible factors, and you mentioning that you began to lose faster after a few months when you’d slackened off on being so strict with the calories made me think of them. Firstly, because I’ve given up worrying about net carbs, I eat an awful lot more vegetables and I’m also eating legumes in larger amounts. My net carbs come in at under 100 but are generally between 65 and 80. I try to not overdo my consumption of carrots and beetroot, but I’m still eating them and eat a wide range of veg in general. Plus, most days I eat some homemade yogurt. So, it’s always possible in my case that the gut bacteria theory could be a factor and that they’re working well for me because I’m adding to them and feeding them.

I’ve settled into a meal routine whereby essentially my meals consist of a smallish portion of protein and a pile of steamed veg, veg sweated in a little butter or raw salad veg. I very rarely eat starchy carbs. I weigh everything before cooking and record it on Fat Secret. Yesterday, I had 536 grams of veg plus a small tangerine; on Sunday, 685 grams of veg plus two small tangerines. No legumes either day. Despite the seemingly large amount, the total fibre wasn’t huge (18.7 on Sunday, 12.8 yesterday). I tend not to eat breakfast, so I eat no solid food usually between 8.30 pm and 1.30 pm the following day. I do however, have a couple of cups of tea and a very milky decaff coffee in the morning, which fills me up most days. On the days when I do feel hungry, I tend to have a piece of fruit (an apple or tangerine at the moment as they’re in season here). At one time, I’d have a piece of cheese, but the calories sent me way over the limit, so I stopped that. I also drink a lot of water throughout the day, as well as the occasional afternoon cup of herbal or ordinary tea. Oh, one last thing, I never used to use salt but I do now. Every meal pretty well has a very small sprinkling of seasalt flakes.

I should maybe add that I’m not following the recipes in the books, nor do I have diabetes.

Not sure if any of this is of interest to anyone, but thought I’d share it just in case.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Snoop — really really Interesting — I had not considered the gut connection although I have been reading a lot about gut health. That could definitely be it.
    My diet these days is remarkably similar to yours (including the hours of fasting) except I use heavy cream in my coffee in the morning. I also eat almost every vegetable except corn, peas or potatoes or sweet potatoes. I stopped counting calories and carbs but just don’t usually eat anything carb heavy — I drink lots of herbal tea in the afternoons and have an orange every other day or so — love yogurt and a few nuts but basically eat a bit of protein plus greens and veg for pretty much every meal cooked in butter and olive oil.
    Every now and then I have pizza and beer after a ski day but I’m not feeling well after eating it (keeps me awake burping) so that is fading away. I eat a bit of dark chocolate but have sort of gotten tired of it.
    I think I’ve found a workable forever plan — honestly it still amazes me that I can eat and be full and maintain and not pile it all on again. Good to hear of your very similar story.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Thanks Snoop,

To coin a phrase, definitely “food for thought”.

I called in at the goat farm near my home and bought some of their kefir, so we’ll see if that does me any good.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Late check in – busy day with lots going on.
    I have lost 3.5 pounds this week and so am back, yet again, to the two stone off point. I have been here a few times over the past few weeks and really want to lose the next 7 lbs. Unfortunately we have a lot on this months and though I know I can manage to control the carbs and eat the right foods, I know that alcohol will rear its head.
    The up side is I am a different shape and many of my clothes are now too big or look awful. It’s great to be getting rid of the unwanted clothes and am looking forward to opening the two suitcases that moved in with us 3.5 years ago with a selection of size 20. I just hope they will fit my new shape.
    It will take time but I will and must persevere!
    X B

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Hello everypeeps. It’s been so informative reading all of the above posts. Well done to all of you who have seen losses or maintained. To all of you others, like me, who have been on a major detour since Christmas (the body has been willing but not the mind) do, do stick at it even when things go awry. I’m decided to mentally park the last few weeks and have now been fully back on track for 3 days. Phew. We can do it!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Well, topcac, I weighed in this morning .6kg down. Yay, will take it. But can’t honestly say it was through carb control. However, while I weigh most days, I only COUNT the weight against my starting weight on Tuesday
    weigh-ins.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

So many people doing so well, either losing or re setting. Thanks to everyone for their stories and discussion about how you all manage this process, they are fascinating. This week I have lost .6 of a pound overall – not as much as I’d like but staying in the 10 stone bracket so I’ll take that! My body composition scales this morning seem to have had a bit of a melt down. they have been reading visceral fat as 9 for weeks, this morning they read 7, so I did it again and they read 8 so I did it again and they read 9. Not quite sure what is happening there, however, the weight stayed exactly the same each time so I am assuming that is correct for now.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Everyone seems so good at posting – I have been so busy recently my posts have been virtually zero. But I have been reading now and then – been inspired by all who contribute. I am stunned that I’ve managed to lose 2kg so far in this challenge, in spite of some challenging times where I’d usually go to pot with food choices. Might make it beyond the 3 I’d hoped for by 21st… I keep losing and regaining, but it’s stayed off for the last few days so I am going to call it 2 so far!

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All, Snoop thanks for the support ,well done to everyone who is still getting results. A chat with marsie yesterday about the measurement of butter.weigh the whole pack and then weigh again after removing your serve.when I tried it, I discovered I was underestimating by more than half , so most of my calorie counts have been completely in accurated. Today BGL 5.4 and weight is 84.5 KG so that is better. the stomach is not so well today but I ate better.cooked the corgettes from my garden they are small but much tastier than anything from the supermarket. Back to work tomorrow so plan to drink lots of water from my new drink bottle.
    to all those struggling keep posting as it will get you through the tough times.Cheers to all

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Reading Snoops posts, I wont go on about food today except to say that after 5 days totally off the diet and just eaten my 4 course birthday meal, my BG is 4.5. And I had a glass of champagne and 2 glasses of rose and an apero of white wine and cassis plus I ate a slice of bread (small French granary) and 2 very fat chips and tisamisu. Can’t work it out but I will probably be paying for it tomorrow but I will be back on the plan then.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Happy birthday sun-shine girl and I hope you enjoyed celebrating with good food, fizz and wine. I always feel better if the tastings are worth the calories – but if not, well then I am misearable!
    X B

• posted by Snoop
    on

Welcome back, sunshine-girl. Hope you had a good break.

on

The food was wonderful, a new place we tried. I asked for salad in place of the chips but they brought chips (no salad) so after eating a couple of mentioned it to the waitress. Low and behold, they brought us 2 glasses of champagne as an apology – like that is going to help my diet. Still, I couldn’t refuse when they had been so kind.

on

Hmm. Blood sugar has gone a bit mad again. FBS is 11.2 this morning despite usual meds and a very good 800 cal 30g carb day yesterday. My 5 week recurring cold virus reared its ugly head again yesterday afternoon and sleep was awful as a result but surely that can’t account for such a high reading? Puzzled… MKx

• posted by Bissell
    on

I wouldn’t be surprised MK. Illness of any king plays havoc with blood sugars.
    Hope you feel better soon. Keep the faith!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Or kind, rather than king!

on

Bonjour a tous (hello everyone) back after my naughty time, just needed to get something out of my system and now feeling ready to carry on. I was only carb bad at my birthday lunch with one very small slice of bread (it was more holes than bread), 2 chips (big fat ones) and half a tiramisu (chestnut flavour). Weight has been gained but tant pis (so what) it was well deserved weight and I am hoping it will help me get into actually losing something as I have been sat at the same for 3 weeks, gain a pound, lose a pound. Funny thing is my BG was only 5.0 this morning so maybe not too much damage done.

To treat myself kindly I have had my favourite lunch of roasted chicken breast with roasted asparagus and red pepper with a yoghurt and garlic dressing. When I looked at it I though ‘hmmm that looks big enough for an evening meal’ so that is what I will do and at 270 calories will help keep to 800.

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Welcome back sunshine-girl, bonjour to you too (although from me in Perth it is really bon nuit, I guess.)

Wondering how our ‘Eastern Staters’ are getting on with the awful weather, hear its going to be 45° tomorrow, today for you now as you are 2, 2.5 or 3 hrs ahead of us. Perth is in the middle of the most unseasonable weather for Feb, rain, rain, rain. And today, Thursday, we had a maximum of 16°c, the lowest February day since 1942. Outdoor opening event of the annual Perth International Arts Festival Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights. It’s always a free event and several thousands of people show up so I hope we have some let-up in the rain on those evenings.

Anyway, food, we’re going to a quiz night fundraiser tomorrow night and I was asked to take along a bowl of my home made rocky road. Torture to make now as it is definitely not BSD friendly. Succumbed to a couple of taste tests,ho hum.

Cheers everyone x

on

We are having good weather in France, up to around 13 degrees C today and forecast for 17 next week. We have a thing here, when the cranes fly south winter is coming (November usually) and when they fly north the Spring is just around the corner. Today there were about 30 circling above our house, seems a bit early but you never know.

• posted by Snoop
    on

The cranes must have been a lovely sight, sunshine-girl. We’ve got the first tentative signs of almond blossom here. I always take that as a sign that spring is not far off, though we often have a very cold spell between now and the end of February. Roll on longer daylight hours!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’m in Sydney where we expect over 40 degrees for the next three days, and I thought it was bad already! We’re having a pool put in but we signed the contracts last July and it’s not finished yet. Months behind schedule and it won’t be finished for summer which is so disappointing 😥It would have been so wonderful over the next few days but instead I’ve got a cement truck out the front churning and slumping. Oh well, at least we’re getting progress after weeks of nothing over Christmas.

I can’t seem to get calories down to 800, more like 1000, but I’m eating the right foods (except for ice cream yesterday) and the weight is gradually going down so I guess I’m ok with it at the moment. No exercise though, it’s just too hot.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Natalie
    We’re fortunate enough to have a pool but it’s 46 deg C at the moment (at almost 6pm). 5 mins after getting out of water, I’m hot again!
    I haven’t walked all week, I’m just not prepared to take the risk in the heat and the days where the temperature was cooler, it was raining!
    Trying to drink copious amounts of water and to increase my salt intake. My night time cramps have come back so I suspect I’m sweating or peeing out the electrolytes.
    They’ve cancelled our weekend softball games already due to the predicted temps over the next couple of days so I’ll guess I’ll be hanging around the pool some more😀
    Stay cool Sydney siders, don’t take any risks.
    Cheers
    Linda

on

Hi Natalie and LindaA, I too am lucky enough to have a pool but right now we had frost this morning, it is closed for the Winter. We will be opening it around mid April when I wont be warm enough to swim but will give the pool a couple of weeks to breath and get clean with the right water chemistry – although it is a salt pool. Around the 1st week in May I will be swimming again but it will still be bl—dy cold as we don’t have a heater. I spend the first 10 minutes getting in and getting used to the temperature with a few aerobics, then I swim for at least half an hour wondering why I found it so difficult to get in as it now feels wonderful and invigorating. It will get warmer as the year goes on and in the very hot weather, our normal summer is 30ish to 35 but we have had 42, I sometimes have to stay out as it has no shelter and you can easily burn but I can cool down early morning and late evening.

We are sooooooo lucky and I never forget that. As Robbie Williams says in his corny song ‘I love my life’

• posted by Theodora
    on

Gosh, I have no idea how you cope with temperatures like that!!! Give me the cold wet UK temps any time, at least we can wrap up warm – and have certainly had to today!! And tomorrow, gale force winds to contend with too!

Dreading my next weigh in, which will be next Wednesday, by which time there will be less than a week left on this challenge, as we are on holiday with very boozy friends and, whilst I have tried really hard to stick with the principles of BSD, I suspect I have seriously gone over the 800 mark on most days. I have managed to keep the food carbs relatively low though – but the old vino has been my downfall!! I have generally managed to keep it to only 2 glasses in the evening, but have come on here this evening, after o/h and friends have retired for the night, to confess that this evening I had a blowout. We went to dinner with some other friends and, whilst full of good intentions to stick to 2 glasses, somehow or other my glass kept being refilled before it was anywhere near empty and I lost total count of how many glasses I had actually drunk. I did drink lots of water too – does that mitigate matters, do you think?

My only hope is that all the walking we have been doing (up to 15 miles a day, on quite hilly coastal paths) will be my saviour. Fingers crossed for me everyone please – I still have another 3 full days of holiday, and temptation, to go before we travel home on Tuesday to face the weigh in on Wednesday morning! This is my first mini “challenge” and I really don’t want to fall at my first hurdle 🙁

on

Sugars still bonkers as I’m slogging through my fourth recurrence of runny nose, high temperature, hacking cough ‘virus ‘ since Christmas. Feeling really rough, and not helped by seeing self on Friday on TV interview recorded a couple of weeks ago.
    If ever reinforcement needed that there’s still a way to go even after 40+lbs lost, it was amply demonstrated here. I looked fat, tired, really exhausted, in fact, drab, ill -fitting clothes doing nothing for me, and the shocker was this was me thinking I’d made a special effort to look OK!
    Result has been positive, drawing up an exercise plan I can keep to come rain or shine, no matter how busy at work, booking in an immediate review of hair and make up, plus fortnightly treatment and blow dry, for frankly neglected hair, booked monthly facial at local salon, proper cull of ‘fat’ clothes and pulling together small capsule work wardrobe which I’ll critically evaluate at the start of each month. I’m going to stop relying on black and grey. And look for a bit of colour.
    Finally, my sleep. Here I am, again, wide awake at 2 am after 5 Good but short hours of sleep, lying in the spare room because my OH snores like a trooper and at decibels that would frighten a horse. I need to do something about it, ‘cos once I’m awake, that’s it. I feel OK energy-wise, but I never feel refreshed. When I’m away on business for even a couple of days, or even caring overnight, I sleep nine hours solid and really feel the difference.
    I have a busy and responsible job, am a weekend carer for 2 elderly relatives with dementia, run my own house without help and have a husband who is lovely in lots of ways but gives me little support at home, can’t cook, doesn’t have a problem with his weight despite doing no exercise and eating ( and drinking) what he likes and thinks any sort of eating plan is a bit silly and faddy – he hates people who ‘fuss’ about food’ so I do BSD more or less in secret, I give him more of what I have with a lump of spuds or rice and a pudding, and keep a fruit cake in the tin for him.
    Being forced to see myself objectively and critically -and I know I give myself a hard time – has made me realise that I’ve allowed myself and my own well being to be last on my own list and everyone else’s of priorities. A mistake.
    Anyway, what was my first, and less positive response to seeing myself looking so awful? Reader, I went out and bought a bag of sabotage food. I didn’t succumb, binned the lot after staring at it for an hour, but was shocked that my visceral and immediate response was to treat myself badly. Food for thought indeed. MK x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

MK – have just read your post. I am so impressed that you threw the food away. I would really hope that I would do the same in the same situation.

Your post is so positive it really made me feel good reading it this morning. I really love your action plan and look forward to hearing about your progress over the coming months.

You have done tremendously well so far and your action plan will ensure some stunning results in the future.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

MK – I so feel for you having strugled with poor sleep for years until December. In my case it was the first sign of a first quite serious incident of depression (a 1st for me) even though I didn’t consider that at first. I am not drawing parallels here, mind you. I was continually doing too much and my life (busy at work, outside of work, part time carer to a parent, and no support at home) had a big impact on me, affecting my sleep massively. Well done on resisting the food sabotage. You are certainly a lot stronger than me. And drawing up the exercise plan sounds good too. The poor sleep will gradually have a huge effect though – can you do anything to improve that? Not sure of your circumstances but might ypu be able to look at a cleaner and/ do a weekly internet food shop to give you more time to relax? It is well known how much lack of sleep can stall weight loss, quite apart from the effects on your morale. It’s only now that I am sleeping every night like a baby that I realise quite how demoralising it was when I wasn’t – it really is the difference between wading through treacle and skipping along.
    It is a challenge but I have a whole different perspective on myself since managing to sort that one. So impressed that you have managed to lose weight at all when dealing with what seems like a hugely busy schedule. More power to you, and I really hope you manage to get some more sleep over the weekend. You sound so strong but it is so demoralising to wake up wide awake at some ungodly hour unable to sleep again. Sending hugs your way.

• posted by Bissell
    on

MK, just to echo what KrysiaD said, I’m very impressed you threw the bag of food away. So what, that you bought it in the first place? You didn’t eat it, that’s the main thing. You are much stronger than you give yourself credit for.

And I like the facial/make up/ ditch the fat clothes stance too! It will surely reinforce your determination to succeed and reiterate how far you have come.

You have spurred me on this morning, so thanks for that too.

Now, for the rugby!!!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi MK
    Wow, you can be so proud of yourself!
    You have gained much much more from this experience than if you’d stayed on the straight and narrow without any hiccups. Well done you👏👏👏👏.

I hear you about the sleep. I’ve woken every night this week at some ungodly hour and not gone back to sleep again. It’s not just the excessive heat wave we’re having (a relative cool in the house of 30 deg c at the moment WITH the air conditioning on!) Today I resorted to buying some ‘over the counter’ sleeping pills from the chemist and that’s in addition to some ‘natural’ menopause tablets that are supposed to help with hot flushes. I was hoping that this way of eating would help with that side of things, but alas, it doesn’t appear to be so😔. If anyone knows of some magic remedies, I’d be very happy to hear them.

In the shade on our deck today it got up to 47 and even now at 6pm it’s still 41! Most sport was cancelled today so OH and I have spent the day in and around the pool trying to relax and I even managed a snooze on the lounge.

The downside is that I haven’t been able to go for my walk for a week, but next week should be cooler, 27 & 21 for Monday and Tuesday before heading black to the 30’s again. Normally I don’t mind the hot weather, but if you can imagine being inside a clothes dryer whilst it’s turned on (with no breeze) that’s what it feels like here at the moment!
    Again, congratulations and well done!
    Cheers
    Linda

on

Thanks for all the positive posts
    . I don’t feel as though I was strong, though!
    It was weak to care so much and very weak to react that way, I think. Posted in a low moment. In fact, I should count my blessings. I live in a beautiful city, and have a lovely home. I have a job I love , hobbies I enjoy,, family and friends who love me. I’ve looked again at that interview and though I don’t like the way I look AT ALL, I sound kind and knowledgeable about what I do and that’s what Inwas there for., job done, move along.
    Over the counter herbal sleep meds are something I’ve not had for a while, equally melatonin, which I can pick up in the States, often works well to re-establish order when I’m not sleeping.
    LindaA, if you’re struggling with night sweats, see your GP to discuss.i had an early menopause in my mid forties and it was my only symptom (apart from the brain fog that I genuinely thought was early onset dementia – but it does go!) There’s a non HRT solution – can’t remember the name – but just a couple of months of treatment changed my life.. Will try to find the packer and name it,
    Sorry to vent, but Thanks for all your support, this is a good place. MK x

• posted by Verano
    on

MK you have really taken ‘the bull by the horns’.

It’s so difficult to pick yourself up in difficult times, and I imagine feeling so bad about your appearance, when you’ve done so well in losing 40+lbs, it’s even more difficult. BUT you have done it!! You’ve made a plan. The bag of sabotage food may have been your first response to your current situation but your ‘inner knowledge’ won the day. You know this is the best way to go ‘despite’ your OH.

I know what it’s like to almost do BSD ‘in secret’ too. After 7 months my OH is now happy to forgo a simple carb with our main meal but that doesn’t stop the sandwiches, sweets and biscuits during the day! I’ve got to the stage now where it really doesn’t bother me, apart from occasionally, the smell of toast!! Sorry not helping!

Maybe ear plugs for the snoring! On a more practical note there is a new feature starting in the Daily Mail today, fpr a week, about insomnia so that may be worth a look.

So many of us women do just as you and put everybody and his dog before our own wellbeing. There’s nothing wrong in that but you do really have to make time for yourself and your own wellbeing as well.

OK so you have a plan exercise, hair, make-up, facials and clothes so now you just have to stick with it. Don’t worry if you don’t manage 100% every month, don’t be too hard on yourself, but at least make sure you make 50%+ and you will then really be on your way to being kind to yourself …. you deserve it!

• posted by Verano
    on

LindaA I used Black Cohosh when I was menopausal and I found it worked for me, but then I guess it depends how bad your symptoms are. Mine weren’t horrendous but I did go and see a ‘herbalist’ who gave me a ‘concoction’ to drink that was so vile I actually preferred the symptoms!!

I think it’s a case of trial and error and you could always take HRT if all else fails.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi LindaA I know lots of people don’t agree with this but I had great success reducing hot flushes to almost nil by using unsweetened soya milk, Alpro plain soya yoghurt (with frozen berries a la The Total way) and tofu. I did this for some years, and at the end of last year gradually reduced my intake to mainly in my tea about 3 times a day and stopped using altogether as the flushes stopped. I was lucky in that my actual menopause started when I was 54 (didn’t do the soya thing til I was 58 as I didn’t know about it) and apart from the flushes, some poor quality sleep (which I still get) and occasional low moods, I consider myself to have got off lightly (my mother went through some horrendous years). If you’re not averse to trying this you can always just add soya to your diet and see if it helps. I used uht milk as it was cheaper and 1litre lasted around 4 days.

MK you are an inspiration! You have come a long way and your new plan sounds brilliant – you really are worth it you know.

Please log in or register to post a reply.