New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Evening all. Thought I would fill you in on my day today. Thanks all for your support.

So, I walk into the hairdressers today where they all sang happy birthday as soon as I walked in and then I was presented with an Aveda gift bag containing a number of products including bath salts, stress relief cream and radiance stuff for my face and I was absolutely delighted. Apparently they all chipped in and I was so touched. Fast forward an hour and I’m sat there looking like some kind of lego person with chocolate coloured gunk on my hair when the singing started again and out they come with a glass of pink prosecco, a mini bottle and two iced fairy cakes with candles in them.

So what did I do?

Well, they all looked so pleased to be able to do this for me that I made a conscious decision to indulge. I did not feel coerced or pressured to do so but felt rather that there were always going to be situations like this and I needed to be rational and deal with it in a sustainable way. So, I had 100ml of the prosecco and one of the tiny cakes. I put the mini bottle (now half empty) in my bag and “donated” the other ๐ŸŽ‚ to my hairdresser. As I knew where the products came from, I have logged on to mfp and added them in. They totalled 211 calories and 23.2 carbs. I came home (with fab hair may I say) and emptied the rest of the prosecco down the sink.

If I stick to my planned food for the rest of the day, I will come in at 945 calories and 84g of carbs. Yes it’s high but pretty good for a birthday food day. I feel really happy ๐Ÿ˜Š with the way it went, mainly because it was conscious eating, all logged and accounted for and it triggered no desire to continue “treating” myself for the rest of the day. Rather I came home and adjusted my food plan to mitigate the best I could without feeling deprived.

So, I will be interested to see your thoughts on what I did. I actually have no regrets. I had a great day and felt truly spoiled.

Out for breakfast tomorrow. Just going to plan exactly what I’m going to have. It’s easier to go bsd at brekkie than dinner and drinks and my friends are up for it too, so all good!

Have a great evening everyone!

L ๐Ÿ’‹

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Wow Lee…..you are EPIC..such control…and how lovely that those people thought so much of you! Also, to come in under 1000 calories! You did exactly what you should have done. Life is too short to deny ourselves everything. Enjoy your evening and breakfast tomorrow.

Much love,

Mary xxxx

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I think you handled the situation perfectly. Like you said, we have these decisions to face from time to time and I had a very similar experience recently at my sons 30th birthday party where I made a conscious and informed decision about having a clotted cream and jam scone. I weighed it up and decided that I wanted to have it- it was the first cake to pass my lips for over six months and did I regret it- no! I had made a conscious decision to enjoy it and I did. Happy Birthday ๐ŸŽ‰ x

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Lee- what a lovely birthday you have had – and your friends too! Damage limitation done to a T. You’ll be invigorated now after a lovely pamper week ready for anything. I remember years ago when I was on Atkins and you have to be in ketosis – my daughter’s granny in law had specially baked cakes. Because I didn’t want to come out of ketosis – I politely declined. I have never forgiven myself for that. I just wish I was strong enough to keep it up after a minor indulgence. But well done you!

• posted by EC
    on

good morning everyone!

Mary, PLEASE don’t apologise for geography…I DO live in the arse end of the world and even cartographers frequently leave Tassie of maps of Australia!! (its always been known as a well kept secret amongst those of us “down under”)

Lee, well done on a perfect birthday decision (I would have trouble pouring prosecco down the sink!!)

Crabbycams and Liz, …indeed all and any of you are welcome to my cool southern paradise ANYTIME!! Crabbycams, I’m a refugee from NSW and studied in Wagga, so know your part of the world…but come and stay and explore real estate!! We were fortunate to buy 20 years ago when R.E. in Tasmania was seriously dirt cheap…but it’s still a bargain compared to Melbourne or Sydney!!

Liz…we don’t have squirrels here of course, but I wake every morning to possum poo on the deck and the (very cute) pademelons LOVE eating all my citrus leaves and windfall apples (and of course all my lovingly planted veg grrrr)….named by a friend “the browsing mammals”!

Anyhow, its just gone 11am. I’ve shopped at the local farmers market, have stock in the slow cooker, capsicums and aubergine/eggplant roasting in the oven (such virtue!) and tonight I have a meting over dinnertime, so have offered to bring soup so that I’ll be way less tempted to be railroaded.

and thanks all…the brisk walks are lovely this time of year…I may even venture up that mountain this week…the border collie LOVES running in the snow, so hope it hangs around for a few more days

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Crabby,
    What a gloriously poignant piece. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Yours, Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Girlfriend Lee–YOU ARE A FUCKING ROCKSTAR!!!!!
    WELL DONE YOU!!!!
    How fabulous you must feel and I know the gang is just loving how you handled today. Fucking marv!!!!
    We are not perfect nor should we aspire to be mechanically scheduled. We are us. Imperfect but perfect in our own way. I know I can’t trust myself with booze as one means 15 for me but I can have the odd sweet treat. I will be 54 on July 2nd and may just have a little something and will probably exceed my 800 calories but I will do it with Lee’s grace.
    Thank you Lee, you are a role model on birthday girl living.
    Yours, Liz

on

I love you guys! This morning I got my reward!
    10 stone 13lbs (153.6lbs) and a BMI of 24.8. Whoop whoop! So despite my traumas healthwise and my small birthday treat, I have lost 13.4lbs since I started and just know I’m going to hit the stone next week.

This works for me and it’s so sustainable. I’m almost worried about moving on to maintainence when the time comes!

Next, I’ve got to get with the exercise. My boobs are looking remarkably like lap dogs (thanks Liz) and there’s definitely creping round the ole belly area. Time to get toning. Uurggh my least favourite part!

So, I’m happy with the way I handled my birthday weekend even if my blood sugar hasn’t yet forgiven me (8.4) this morning but onward and downward for July. Currently smiling into my bucket of earl grey tea and getting ready for the week ahead!

Liz, I will hold your hand and celebrate with you on July 2nd. I can already see you with some cherries ๐Ÿ’ and squirty cream!

Love โค๏ธ and hugs ๐Ÿค— to you all, you beautiful people!

L xx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Peeps,
    So, It will be four weeks since I began this journey and am down 18.4 lbs and I’m feeling fabulous! My blood sugar is also greatly improved and averaging a solid 5 each morning. But I’m still 17 st 1/ 240lbs so have a way to go. I am however, getting a bit bored with my ‘go to’ foods. I love my thick slice of tomato in the morning topped with a thin slice of ham, grated cheese and a poached egg. Lunch I’m still going to salad and a protein but dinner needs to bump up my interest. Any ideas? I’m sick of cauliflower pizza too. Zucchini noodles are okay still as I can change up the sauce.
    I came up with a super delicious ‘appetizer’–I took tomatoes that are one size up from cherry, cut them in half, used a melon baller to get the pulp/seeds out, then grilled two whole red bell peppers on the bbq, then let them cool until I could peel them, then used one of those wands that purees stuff and added 2 cloves of garlic and some basil. Then put it in a small plastic sandwich bag, cut the corner off and piped them into the tomato halves, and topped some with a caper and some with a crumble of feta cheese. But I figure you could really play with the flavours! Great one bite treats!!
    Today II attended a funeral then the reception afterwards which was a huge trial. Everything on the buffet was my nemesis—-sausage rolls/favourite, mini quiches/favourite, marinated cheese tray/did someone say cheese?, finger sandwiches/OMG favourite, mini Yorkshire puddings with beef and a gravy drizzle/bastards–nearly killed me avoiding those. But there was some reasonable choices…..like an endive spear with two microscopic fucking shrimp and a drizzle of cocktail sauce–I had six.There was a veggie platter which helped fill the void. Come tomorrow however I anticipate shitting an entire vegetable patch. I did treat myself to one half of a devilled egg. Why is it that I would only ever have maybe two eggs at one sitting but set out devilled eggs and I’m on those like a champion power eater. Of course the dessert table was a no-go zone for me as was the OPEN FUCKING BAR!!!! I had a few pangs of ‘just one to toast the departed” but knew I couldn’t be trusted so respectfully toasted her with fizzy water and lime and even walked home as it was just up the road. So virtuous on the food/booze and exercised! Best mind my halo doesn’t slip and choke me.
    Anyway friends, if you have any go to foods that keep you on track please share.
    Yours, Liz….Sainthood pending.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Liz,

this is tasty..
    1 eggplant/aubergine, 3 medium zuchinis, 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quarter cup of fresh basil, quarter cup of fresh parsley, half cup shaved parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil. salt, ground black pepper tablespoon crushed garlic
    Dice veg to about 1.5cm half inch pieces, leave tomatoes whole. In a bowl mix everything together, leave aside some of the parmesan to sprinkle on top.
    Put in casserole, bake 20 minutes with lid on, 15 minutes with lid off. Just check the eggplant to see if it is tender, cooking time may need adjusting. Cook at 200 celsius.
    I have in the past worked out the calories etc, but details elude me, safe to say it is bsd friendly and is quite filling, can be eaten on its own, with meat or fish or with other vegies. Can be frozen or keeps well in the fridge for a few days. And… it is flavoursome.
    Best,
    Bigeater

• posted by EC
    on

Good morning everyone and hope that your weekend was glorious and not too filled with dietary challenges!Well done Lee and Liz on your losses (seems a weird thing to say..esp as you’ve just been to a funeral Liz!)

Recipes!!
    We are having a LOT of soups at the moment, but that’s probably less attractive to those experiencing summer!

So, as much as the conversations seem to feature eggplant, here’s one of my go-to’s…..I use it as a relish…on baked mushrooms (you could have it on tomatoes) on smoked tofu (also probably great with fish or chicken….) or alongside scrambled egg

Cube and bake 3-4 eggplant tossed in olive oil (if you use small ones without big seeds, you don’t have to salt and rinse)
    When soft, put in saucepan with;
    onions (optional)-sweated in a little oil
    a teaspoon of harissa paste
    app tablespoon anchovies (also optional…and yes, this committed vegetarian does allow the occasional small, dead, salty fish to pass her lips!)
    Then add 1 roast capsicum with skin and seeds removed cut into strips

ready to go..hot or cold!! app 100 calories per cup

We are having that tonight with roast beetroot and garlic, grilled halloumi and a small salad

Another standby that I do most weeks is a huge tray of roasted pumpkin and sweet potato with garlic
    -peeled and cut into cubes….roast with olive oil and tamari or soy sauce).

Sometimes I blend the whole with soup stock(another thing I make most weeks in the slow cooker to have on hand…just veg scraps/ends with dried mushrooms, pepper and bay leaves) overnight
    and then add a tin of whole chickpeas …app 180 calories per bowl
    OR cool and toss with fetta, roast capsicum and again sometimes chickpeas.

also sometimes do a HUGE tray of frittata with green veg and fetta (or olives)….those silicon baking dishes mean that you can bake it in the oven and just turn out…stores really well unless the kids come to visit!!

happy eating!
    xx
    Erin

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Hi all,

This is my 3rd day on the BSD and my 4th day sober (binge drinker/eater rather than alcohol dependant)

I am using this plan for weight loss and hope it resets my metabolism and enables me to stop the emotional binges.

Really enjoying reading all your stories. Very encouraging.

FFBB

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Peeps, Just a quick note as have an appointment to get to but thanks so much for the recipe inspiration. Will stop at the market to get my Mediterranean veg assortment and have that casserole. Didn’t really think of soups….normally have a soup when contemplating what I really want to eat. But found a nice artichoke and cauliflower one I’m trying tonight.
    Dropping into Mum en route home. She voiced concern that the new chap at her dining table is “a bit foreign–might be Italian”….I asked the administrator…Mr. Christoph Christopoulis complete with the bushy moustache….really Mum? Italian? I’m ready to belt out Opa!, launch into traditional Greek folk dance and start smashing plates!!
    Yours in the thought of a lovely trough of Greek salad, Liz

on

Welcome FFBB and well done on getting to day 3. I found the first two weeks the hardest but I began to get in the zone after that and genuinely didn’t feel hungry.

Like you I was more of a binger than dependent but I did worry that I was. This has been so amazing for me. I’m making conscious decisions and really making progress.

I have my biggest test coming up with a trip back to Galway in two weeks. It’s normally a drink and food fest (full Irish every morning and many hours in public houses!) So it will be interesting to see if i can manage…

This is a great group to be a part of. Very supportive and totally non judgmental. They keep me sane and so “real”

I love them!!

on

Help please!

Anyone got any ideas of non perishable bsd snacks I can bring away with me? I’ve got babybel and pepperami (apparently I need the sodium in these)

I’ll be ok for breakfasts and dinner but on the move during the day and will need to improvise with bringing snacks with me and supermarket shopping! All advice gratefully received!

L xxx

• posted by EC
    on

Good afternoon everyone…and a big welcome FFBB!….as Lee syas, its a lovely group…though I’m missing the comments from a few lovelies of late

Slow start for me today as King Frost was very busy here last night so getting out of a warm bed not such an attractive option!!
    A balmy 2 degrees setting off for my walk!!

On the plus side, my walking jacket that was a very snug fit when zipped up over just a T-shirt a mere three weeks ago, now zips easily over a jumper and thick vest! ….now to increase the exercise the firm those neglected abs!

Lee..on your days away, what about those instant miso soups…hardly any calories and LOTS of sodium ….I make my own quite regularly with added veg and always go over for sodium on my miso days (plus its great for gut flora).
    I also remember Ireland as having great smoked salmon….that would be an easy lunch with a salad?

Liz, here’s another soup that I make weekly…easy as and comes in just over 100 cals and we both love it (being a spice fiend I often add harissa to this one as well
    go well, my friends!

Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup
    Approx 6 servings
    1tbs olive oil
    1 medium/large head of cauliflower, cut up
    4 red peppers, skin removed & chopped (grill/roast/flame leave in sealed polythene bag to cool, skin)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 or 3 sticks of celery, chopped
    2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes…or delete the water and use liquid stock
    1.5 litres water
    1tsp smoked paprika
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and celery together in olive oil until soft.
    Add smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds or so.
    Add cauliflower, stock cubes and water and cook for about 20 mins.
    Add red peppers and cook for a further 20 mins or so.
    Whizz with stick blender/liquidise.
    Makes a really lovely creamy soup.
    About 80 cals and 10g carbs per serving.
    it freezes well also!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi everyone, how are you all doing?
    Here’s another recipe idea that I’ve banged on about before but it’s SOOO delicious I’ve sometimes not even made it to the table with the bowl…!
    It’s in the recipe section of this site and it’s the broccoli and mature cheddar soup. Yum yum yum. I always struggled to eat broccoli but in this soup it’s amazing. Super filling and satisfying too. I use full fat milk btw.
    Hope everyone’s doing well!
    Inka xxx

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Lee have you thought about taking some portions of almonds or other seeds/nuts?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I can’t help much re food as I use the Recipe Book. I did however have a piece of Romaine lettuce with shredded ham, 4 olives and a touch of Feta the other day and it was lovely. This could be made up and kept in a Tupperware box. Wow….Tupperware, never hear of that now.

Today, I have hitched the horses to the wagon, climbed on board and started off for the desert of teetotalism. I am heading to Tea Lake and will camp out there for a while, whilst holding Liz’s hand and frequently checking on the forum….I may even visit her kitchen to grab supplies of encouragement and love, not to mention hilarious explanations of her life. Love all your posts.

I am to have some Root Canal work on my troublesome tooth later and know I will not feel like a drink tonight, I am hoping that this will give me a boost for tomorrow. I have an addictive personality. When I smoked, I had to finish the packet each night, and I am the same with wine…one is never enough and two becomes three, becomes a bottle. So time to give it up.

I am going to hang on to all of your coat tails and reinvent myself starting today. You are all such great supporters I know I can do this with your help. I thank you in advance because I know I can count on you.

Love to all,
    Mary xxxx

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Mary – I offer you my hand too – you go girl – and wishing you the strenth and determination to carry this through – you’ve done it with cigs so you know you can do it. Love your story telling – took me a while to work out where Tea Lake was – hahahaha – I’m a bit slow this morning. Lack of glucose to my brain!!!! Can’t be that as I have ingested some!!

Liz – impressive stats and impressive control – only you can tell a story about a funeral and have me laughing!

FFBB – welcome aboard – you’ll be shocked at how qickly you lose your cravings – we just need to mimize those beastly carbs!

EC – ‘a balmy 2 degrees’ – I don’t think I’ll be visiting any time soon -hahaha – what’s the coldest you get? – I’m guessing -25C as a wild guess –

Thanks for the recipes ladies – Intentions to try them. But I’m so damn lazy! Anybody else suffering from procrastination? I take it a whole new level! That’s one thing I’m very good at – I’m also very good at doing nothing!

Not doing very well since I started on Saturday – a family event on Sunday , then leftovers to contend with yesterday – back on the wagon today. Just had a wee tiff with my control freak of a husband – I call him the food police, the money police , the speech police and any other police you care to mention – so I will keep away from him and try not to comfort eat. Liz, I envy the relationship you have with ‘my Kev.’ Hope he’s back to good health by the way.

Will keeptryingdumpty

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Dumpty, are we twins? I have put my new way of life off over and over ….I have however prepared meals etc, but then I love cooking. I don’t have to give up carbs as I don’t eat potatoes, rice and pasta and bread much anyway. I also don’t eat much and am very happy with salads etc. I am happy to take your hand and I offer mine in return….we are all chasing the same goal and we can support each other.

I have just realised I didn’t really introduce myself, so here goes…

Hello, I am Mary…I am married to Joseph (yes we get lots of jokes at Christmas). I became 60 this January but in my heart and mind I am still in my twenties. I have an under active Thyroid for which I take 125g of Thyroxin and Psoriasis which covers about 90% of my face. This has made me hide away from the world a little bit as when I am hot or flustered it flares very red and you could barbecue on my cheeks, (if you could get the meat to stay on anyway, you aint pushing any skewers through!) I weigh 18 stone 2 pounds…it used to be 19st 4 lbs, but I did 6 weeks bsd last year and got down to my present weight. I have maintained it by eating 800 calories and drinking about double that and then some. I don’t move much, as with the Psoriasis comes another form of Arthritis, and too much walking etc results in sore joints. I am going to build up the movement thing though. Although I am very happy to sit and sew. I embroider and read and you don’t need to move much for that! Another problem I have is IBS….I know it has recently been attributed to gut bacteria and Michael Moseley has another site called Clever Guts, for people who want to eat friendly bacteria. I drink kefir, but have to say I haven’t noticed much of a change.

I have two wonderful daughters who have presented me with three lovely grandchildren, a boy and two girls. I am absolutely besotted with them and want to be around to see them grow up. Hence the lifestyle change. When I write down my infirmities it looks very miserable, but honestly it isn’t. I cannot eat when out, (such as grab a burger or something) as my IBS is always linked to eating. Usually within 30 minutes of eating I am on the loo, usually 4/5 times. So I tend to have to plan my day when going out, so that makes it easier to follow this regime. I have had a big breakfast, which I have counted the calories for, and as I am having the Root work at the dentists this afternoon, I will not eat until this evening, when I will probably just have soup as my face will be frozen. It’s the only time my Jovis (my hubbies nick name) gets to have a quiet home lol.

So there you have it. Almost the story of my life, but with lots left out. I have a really amusing story of when Jovis lost his memory, but it’s quite a long tale so it will have to wait until I have time. For now, take care, lots of love Mary

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Chicks,
    So, I’ve sort of mostly pretty much conquered my fear of the gym at the local community centre…almost. But in the moments that the old Lizzie fears start to percolate (usually in the daunting presence of the Evil Skinny Wives of Satan) I’ve found the perfect solution…..lie my fucking face off. Here’s how it went….
    We’d had Mum home for the night a couple days back as my aunt was visiting (remember Mum had a stroke and is now in assisted living but comes home from time to time for a night or two). So anyway, there I was sitting in the kitchen with a cup of tea listening to the CBC news at just shy of 6:30am, Mum was still up in bed, when the Archangel Michael sounded his horn and with that almighty blast came a grand epiphany!!! (just as clear as the “we big woman one”). It was a thought so clear and obvious that it was beautiful in its simplicity! Through clearly Divine intervention, in one startling and revealing moment, I realized that the Evil Skinny Wives of Satan (ESWS) have children and would be engaged with their sinister mothering duties until at least 9amโ€”if I hit the gym immediately it would be a netherworld bitch free zone for another 2 hours at least! I had been going to the Stretch and Strength class at 9:30am, then to the gym room to do this circuit that the well-meaning coaches had shown me, then a few laps in the pool then home, but my nemesis were the ESWS. (what’s the plural of ‘nemesis?” um–nemeni? fuck it you get the gist.) But seriously, the sinister effect of their coven is just so powerful that one judgmental glance is enough to throw me off my good intentions.

Anyway, having had my epiphany, I ran upstairs, whipped on my gym gear then offered a quick explanation to Mum saying I was off to the gym for a workout and swim which she thought was madness as I hadnโ€™t finished my tea. As I laced my shoes while perched on the edge of her bed, Mum mumbled on about how they never had gyms during the war, blah blah blah, too busy defending democracy, blah blah blah. It always comes down to the war with Mum. Anyway, still floating on the rapture of my epiphany I left the house leaving Mum and my aunt to get on with it.

As I pulled into the gym parking lot I swear I could feel an evil presence emanating from the Temple of the Evil Stick People whose stronghold I was about to enter. I would have felt better with a bottle of holy water but, undeterred, I crossed the parking lot whilst reciting the Apostleโ€™s Creed followed by the Lordโ€™s Prayer as I entered the building. After signing in, (and signing myself–Father, Son, Holy Spirit for extra protection) and having saved the heavy artillery, by way of the 23rd Psalm, for my end game, I began the slow descent unto the bowels of Hades (the gym is on the lower level and seemed very symbolic of Hell at the time)โ€ฆ.โ€yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I WILL FEAR NO EVILโ€ฆโ€ (my inside voice screamed that last bit). With a deep breath I opened the doorโ€”NO WIVES OF SATAN!!!

With renewed confidence I did the routine that I have committed to memory, giving every move my all, then hit the pool for 25 lengths at top speed!….well, my top speed anyway. There were a few random people on the treadmills but nobody was using the gym equipment and there were only a few others in the pool. I finished my workout feeling refreshed, renewed and full of grace. No more would I let those evil malnourished nasties keep me from my goals.

Anyway, as I was signing out, a gaggle of Satanโ€™s wives were at the counter (cue jelly legs, heart palpitations, tunnel vision and diminished self-confidence). Now, the affectionate compulsive hugger stick girl that thinks of me as a vertical bed saw me and pointed out that I was โ€œlike super crazy early” and asked “Lizzie, aren’t you staying for Stretch and Strength?” (for which the ESWS were gathering and by now sizing me up). I could have been truthful and admitted to being fucking shattered but oooooh no……Drawing upon all of my cool and confidence I replied a casual โ€œNah, not today, Iโ€™m doing a 10K with a girlfriend along the lake so wanted to get a workout in first.โ€ The Satanic bitches staredโ€”probably in disbelief, but I didn’t give a shit.

Arriving home I settled down at the kitchen table for a tankard of well deserved tea with Mum and my aunt.
    โ€œDid you hear all of that horn blowing this morning?โ€ Mum asked.
    โ€œI did indeed! It was the Archangel Michael sounding the divine delivery of my epiphany,โ€ I replied.
    After a suitably long pause to consider whether her daughter had finally lost her mind she offered โ€œNo, some bastard had blocked in the garbage truck..โ€ฆ.and as for Archangels, I think youโ€™ll find itโ€™s Gabriel that makes up Heavenโ€™s brass section.โ€

Forgive me Father……I knew that.

So what have I learned? If the odd white lie gets you through–do it, just be sure to be true to yourself.

And amazing recipes!! I’m souping it today! Had the Med veg casserole last night–bloody lush!!

Yours “truly”,
    Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done Liz….I shall be sure to lie the bollox off a dog if it helps, but I will keep true to myself.

Love Mary

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

OMG!!! Literally!!
    So there I am posting the account of my Divine intervention epiphany and at the same time, Joe’s Nonna Mary is introducing herself and her husband Joseph!!! How weird it that–are we just totally in synch or what!
    Rock on Chicks,
    Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Bless you Liz xx

• posted by EC
    on

Oh my dears
    Mea culpa -tonight I have slipped as challenging news from a few dear friends …divorces/ cancer diagnosis etc
    FFS!!!
    Thanks for being here

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’ve read every post in this thread. Hilarious. Love the honesty; love the stories; love the general vibe. Can I join in? Alcohol is my downfall. I’d do OK if I didn’t drink. Not only do I consume the calories in the alcohol, but then I lose any last vestige of willpower I might have and start eating…

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh EC, that’s so rotten. Start anew tomorrow? Thinking of you
    xxx
    Mary

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Snoop, I think you may be a triplet with me and Dumpty. Welcome and join hands with us.

Mary xxx

on

Oh ladies, what a day we are having!
    Liz gets a visit from a heavenly choir and conquers satanic evil bitches!

Mary and Joseph pop in to say hi too. Obviously we are getting intervention from somewhere…..

EC, sorry you have had bad news. That always makes it difficult to prioritise ourselves, even though we know we should….

Snoop, I agree alcohol is often my trigger for eating junk food for recovery, it’s why I feel so much better now. No ups and downs or wicked cravings that are impossible for a weak willed me to resist!

Thanks all for your snack tips. I’m going to hit the Irish supermarket too and get some good quality deli meats. I reckon I will cope! Hopefully I won’t gain, but I won’t offend my 90 year old aunt and my 85 year old aunt by refusing their food. I will just try to plan around it! Alcohol will be the toughest. We are a drinky family!!!๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Off to reflexology tonight, can’t wait! Need it after a truly mental day at work. The first item of food didn’t pass my lips til 3pm! Think the fast did me good. Evening bs is….6.1….

L xx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Just a quick note from the McDonald’s parking lot…..

Just went through Mcdonald’s drive thru for a tea.
    Me:(belting my order into the speaker) large tea with milk please.
    McHer: is that everything?
    Me: Yes thank you.
    McHer: Would you like to try our McCarb/McFat/Super McCalorie summer combo? (or whatever she called it)
    Me: Did we not just confirm “that is everything.” Soooo, just the tea please.
    McHer: I’m sorry Ma’am I didn’t hear you. Can you repeat that?
    Me: DID WE NOT JUST… oh fuck it–ONE-LARGE-TEA-WITH- MILK- PLEASE!!! NOTHING ELSE–JUST TEA.
    McHer: Did you know you can use your tea in place of a pop with a lunch combo?
    Me: SERIOUSLY?? TEA!!!!!. JUST TEA.
    McHer: Would you like a hot apple pie with your tea?
    Me: CAN-I-PLEASE-JUST-HAVE-THE-DAMNED-TEA?
    silence…….
    McHer: Ma’am, I’m just making sure you are aware of your options. Pull up, second window.
    (I pull up)
    McHer: would you like to donate to Ronald Mcdonald house……

I was hoping one of my options was punching her in the throat.
    diet mood: maybe a little crabby.
    diet success…..waning.
    desperate for a pick up LIKE A TRIPLE BACON BURGER (old Lizzie used to get a kid’s meal and feel virtuous) but may try out murder for immediate satisfaction.
    DICKHEAD TOLERANCE VERY LOW TODAY!!!!!
    Seriously??!! What am I?? The fuckface whisperer?? What part of JUST A FUCKING CUP OF TEA WAS SHE NOT GRASPING??
    But, as the eternal optimist I will pull success from this irritating as fuck experience–didn’t cave for treat, and didn’t punch the idiot in the throat.
    Lizzie 1 – Cravings 0

Right, must drink my tea, only 2:25pm so another couple hours of work, then home, uniform off, bra off, under tit scratch, stretchy pants on, big loose shirt, feet to soak in a cold bowl of water, vat of tea and a bowl of homemade red pepper/cauli soup!
    yours, L xoxo

on

Oh way to go to Liz. I could so go a burger right now….

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Yay Liz, I admire your restraint…I would have opted for the punch. A friend of mine was in Starbucks and asked for a tea…the assistant said…is that large or medium….my friend asked what the difference was….she was told the large was more expensive….my friend said you are charging me extra for hot water? This confused the assistant who said …no for the tea….my friend pointed out that whether the mug was large or small the tea bag was the same size so they were charging her for hot water. The assistant fetched the manager who explained….The larger mug holds more Tea therefore the price is higher…..again my frustrated friend explained, the only thing that changed was the water…Manager getting slightly arsy explained in a patronising tone, that my friend was wrong. So she again asked if she was being charged for the water….The manager laughed and said, no for the Tea. My friend left and went elsewhere.

Moral…of the story….There are pricks everywhere who don’t understand what Tea is or how to make it….we should tell them to Fuckoffee!

• posted by EC
    on

G’day all (yes we really do say that here!)

thanks May and Lee for your understanding yesterday. None of it was new news, but I’d just had long conversations with two friends going through the aforementioned and well, life’s fragility felt a little overwhelming!!

The good thing is that I felt so shabby this morning that I’m not in a hurry to repeat the exercise AND the only food I overate was frittata, so low carb at least!!

Dumpty…truly its safe to visit…we rarely get below zero…and its only snowed at my house two or three times in the twenty years we’ve been here….I actually really like that unlike some parts of Aus we actually get all four seasons

back at it holding all your hands spanning this wide wonderful world this morning…..freezer full of soups and am about to tuck into a piece (just one) of the leftover frittata. At a seminar tonight so out of temptations way!

Oh, and Mary…lovely to hear your whole story (and now curious about Jovis’ memory loss!)

Liz…your mum is obviously the from you inherited your fabulous wit from…heaven’s brass section!
    ….and I totally get the tea bit….A thermos has often been my salvation (sticking to the religious theme)

go well my lovelies
    xx

• posted by EC
    on

me again…firstly, excuse the typo on the previous post…I must proof read before pressing submit!! Liz, I meant the one you inherited your wit from…etc, etc

Nothing to do with diet as such…but

This afternoon I had cause to go halfway up “our” mountain to a little village called Fern Tree. Driving home I was struck by the sheer beauty surrounding me as listened to Phillip Adams with his sonorous voice interviewing a very erudite writer on Spanish culture. I drove down in the pre-sunset painterly light looking over grey green hills and into the valley with the Derwent River nestled in and surrounded by the low rise (at least for now) of the city.
    Intrepid souls riding up the hill after the work-day, a young child on foot racing a parent in a car up a steep driveway, each pulling an empty rubbish bin (yes, one attached to the tow bar!!) and hardy walkers rugged up against the weather.
    Home to the apricot glow of sunset over the mountain and a forecast of snow to 300 metres overnight! (glad we have central heating)

Days like this it’s SO good to be alive. I cherish it!

on

OMG! Quick update before work.

I appear to have had a whoosh!!! (Despite birthday indulging) midweek weigh in puts me at 147lbs dead or 10 stone 6 for imperial peeps like me. WTF??? How did I do that???

Another 12lbs to go for my goal, but I’m so happy I could do a little dance ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Couldn’t have done this without each and every one of you heavenly peeps xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

G’Day,

Wow EC I so want to live where you do. I adore frosty weather…the sort where you can see your breath as steam, but you feel toasty inside your clothes. The place you live sounds unbelievable. I live 2 miles from a major airport so totally different. Although, I am almost next door to fields and woods, it is still very urban. I may have write the story of Joe’s memory loss in serials, as it is a VERY long story.

Lee…well done! You were so right to enjoy your birthday! So pleased you have had a whoosh…I am looking forward to that feeling.

Love to everyone
    Mary xxx

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi everybody – a while since I checked in – hope you are continuing on the healthy road

Mary – we’re definitely twins! – about the same age as you and most of my leisure time involves sewing, knitting reading! Need to get up off my bum! Lovely to hear your back story. I’m a firm believer that our weight is a symptom rather than a result – and you seem to have a lot to contend with. But what I love about you is that you still come acreoss as a very positive and ‘glass half full’ person.

EC – sorry to hear your bad news – hope things get better -but see my previous point about how things affect us – so go easy on yourself. Definitely coming to visit you – sounds gorgeous – one of my cousins lives in Melbourne and she’s always going about me visiting her – haven’t it yet! Life takes over!

Lee – well done on your weight loss! Very inspiring!

Snoop – welcome – I’ll be honest – I’ve been lurking since early last year and aside from a few comments on other threads this was the only one that has encouraged me to ‘come out’ – ha ha – Thanks Liz!

Liz – love your take on life! I would never think to mention ‘having a scratch’ – laugh out loud! And brill control –

So here’s my latest sheming and planning on ‘losing weight’. The back story is that I put on a lot of weight trying to be perfect on an 8 week stunt. When I slipped up , that would be it till the following Saturday (my weigh day) when I would endeavor to start another perfect 8 weeks. This nonsense has been prevailing since the beginning of the year! And a weight gain that I can’t even comprehend. So annoyed with myself!

So here’s my thoughts. Life ain’t perfect, always going to be temptations, events, hiccups. Although I did a perfect 8 weeks last year and lost 22 pounds it deludes me now. Maybe I’m just sick of my whole life being about losing weight – born a fat baby and fighting it ever since. Going to be 60 next year. I have to crack this before then. I have 18 months to lose the weight get fit and walk the GrandCanyon. I really really want to do this and so much else – but I won’t because I am so damn fat and unfit.

I received my diary from Amazon today – Begins July 2017and ends August 2018. Page a- day. A5 size.The cover states ‘Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.’ The plan is to take one day at a time – there is no yesterday and no tomorrow. I intend to plan tomorrows food and exercise and things I need to do. Even I can do this for one day only! The rest of the page I intend to write something when i feel the urge to go off piste. Because, in the moment, we can justify anything to ourselves! The start of the slippery self (and slope). Nice timing – July 1st is a Saturday – my week start and weigh day and the start of the 2017-2018 diary. It’s Karma! Meant to be! See the games I play! If July 1st is a disaster , that’ll be it with the diary and the next 18 months – no – I jest. I want to make this work! Till Saturday – gradually cut the carbs and cals, get the sugar out my system and hit the ground running.

I want to commit – and I always find it helpful where others are coming from – so here’s my stats at the moment.
    Height – 5’0″ – Weight – 15 stones 3(4)pounds – lowest weight I ever achieved was 10 stones 10 pounds in 2012 (started out at 16 stones) Last year I got to 12 stones 10 pounds by November after loosely following Fast 800 (was 16 stones when I started 8 weeks last year – so thankfully I haven’t regained it all). So near and yet so far!

Started last Saturday – not perfect but not too bad – aim to be ‘good as gold’ from the 1st and forgive myself if I slip up and ‘confess’ in my diary. After all – tomorow is a new day! And NO BINGEING! That’s me shouting at myself.

Didn’t mean to write all this – more as confirmation to myself and if if anybody thinks it’s a ‘fabulous idea’ then I’m happy you have been inspired. We’re in this together sisters!

Good luck everybody! Good health awaits us!

Ihopei’mgoingtobedumptynomoresoon!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey Dumpty….you will be Dumptynomore, we will help you. We all have a wobble now and then….we just have to learn to manage them better. We can do it.

Mary xxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey, I’ve not really joined this thread because I am a maintainer, reached my revised and final target weight on 1st May (I revised my target 3 times so that it didn’t seem too daunting – started aiming at a loss of 1.5st, then when that got close, I lowered it to 2.5st, then 3st). I am now 5lbs below that final target so 47lbs loss in total, (still cannot believe that ๐Ÿ˜›) which gives me a bit of wriggle room – just as well as I’m going to need it this weekend – off for 5 days sheer indulgence, masses of gourmet food and copious amounts of alcohol (sorry ๐Ÿค”) courtesy of my son and daughter in law (was their Christmas present to us!).

I would like to add that I didn’t touch a drop of alcohol whilst trying to lose, but am now allowing myself one glass of wine a day, occasionally more on social occasions – it hasn’t caused a weight gain so far, I am happy to say. Obviously not a good idea to those of you who cannot stop at one or two, but maybe encouraging for those who can?

Anyway, back to what I came here to say……………whilst I probably don’t belong on this thread, I read it most days and it makes me laugh out loud! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‹ You are an inspiring lot, and with each other’s support I just KNOW you can all achieve your goals. Adapting to a whole new way of eating in order to improve health is hard enough, but to give up alcohol if you are dependent upon it at the same time takes courage and determination to a whole new level. So just wanted to say, good luck and well done to each and every one of the, hopefully, “losers” (meant in the best possible way๐Ÿ˜œ) on this thread.

Keep up the good work, keep up the support and PLEASE keep up the laughter.๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜โ˜บ

• posted by Snoop
    on

Dumptynomore, glad to read your story. Here’s mine: started on 29 August last year weighing 89.7 kg (just over 14 stone). I’m 1 metre 55 cm (just about 5 feet). Managed to get down to 76.9 by early February this year. And then things got complicated. My Dad was ill and eventually died a couple of months ago. My Mum isn’t coping. So although I live in Spain, I’ve spent a lot of time in the UK in recent months. Food has been the least of anyone’s concerns.

Weighed myself today. Now back up to 82.8 kg. So less than when I started in August, but quite a bit more than in February. I’m shocked as to how quickly I can put weight on!

Am due back to visit my Mum again in a few days. She lives on her own now. She’s started trying to eat more sensibly, but she still goes in the main for ready meals, cakes, buns with clotted cream… She says she’s losing weight. The only thing she doesn’t do is drink alcohol. I imagine I’ll come back heavier but at least I’ll have had a dry spell. Then I’m here for a few weeks before going back again towards the end of August.

Do we have goals on this thread? I’m trying to do things in baby steps. I’d love to start a new BSD year in September back at 76.9 kg, but probably won’t make it. Getting back into the 70s by the end of July would feel like a big achievement. Cutting out the wine would be another.

Have done reasonably well so far today. Picked three ballistic missiles today (otherwise known as courgettes/zucchini – anyone who grows them will understand), so that’s us for courgetti for a few days.

Edited to add: I’m not a diabetic but have other health issues that would be improved by weight loss and alcohol reduction.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Snoop,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Just go with the flow. We are all here if you want a moan. Go easy on yourself, you are important too!
    Hope everything sorts itself out.

Mary xxx

on

Crappy day!

Started on my whoosh high and came home to the news that one of my cousins had passed away from lung cancer. Not unexpected, but shitty nonetheless.

It’s amazing how a loss can trigger the emotional hunger. I so wanted food and a drink!!

I did have some comfort food in that I had a cheeseburger. Bsd friendly, all homemade with top quality ingredients and accounted for and have actually come in at 821 for the day. Boy, I fancy something sweet now though!

Sorry to unload guys but you make a great conscience!

L xxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Really sorry for your loss, LLCC – the fact that is was not unexpected doesn’t make it any easier, so not surprising you reached for a (good) burger.

Well done on still coming in at 821 for the day.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sorry to hear your news, LLCC. The death of a loved one is difficult to deal with, even if – even especially if – it is not unexpected. Big hugs from me.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Had a disastrous evening food (and drink) wise. But a good chat this morning with OH on the subject. The upshot is that I’m going to aim to come back from my mum’s the same weight as I am today or thereabouts, and then restart in earnest when I get back. He’ll be joining me, though he has quite a different idea of what it represents. He thinks we’ll be all right on lentils and beans. Meanwhile, there are plenty of courgettes to get through. Unfortunately, I also have potatoes growing in my veg patch…

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Sorry to hear of your loss Lee….but well done for managing so brilliantly.

Snoop, at least you have a target. Just keep visiting this site and it will give you strength. Well it does me.

Theodora, the fact that you are a maintainer gives me hope for the future.

Stay well everyone.

Mary xxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi all
    Not been posting but reading all your posts โ€“ some of the recipes sound great โ€“ the cauli soup is going to be made soon!

Liz
    Your offer of a hand to hold and dropping in in to your kitchen touched me deeply.
    I have not yet taken up your offer but I am going to do so.
    What has held me back is the realisation that if someone is kind enough to offer that level of support then its only good manners that you are honest, especially with yourself, so here goes.

I too am an alcoholic. I am alcohol dependent
    Its taken me a long time to face the truth and its both scary and cathartic to do so.
    I have said I like a drink, I have the odd glass (actually its almost all ways an even number โ€“ six glasses in a bottle!)
    I drink about a bottle of wine a night 7 days a week.
    Sometimes its more, very occasionally its less. It has been about 4 months since I had an alcohol free evening, and then I rewarded myself with a drink next night for doing so well.
    I donโ€™t drink at all during the day, I donโ€™t even think about it. Unlike when I smoked and I would be dying to get home for a fag it does not bother me.
    But once I walk over the threshold of the house I want a drink.
    I have spent the last few days trying to be objective watching what I was doing.
    I would walk in the house and its as if a dark force dropped from the door jambe, slithered down my neck and then takes hold. โ€œonly oneโ€ he whispers (obviously itโ€™s a he as it is evil ๏Š ), โ€œone glass wont hurtโ€
    And a couple of hours later I am staring at an empty bottle
    It does not help that I donโ€™t have hangovers. I donโ€™t feel brilliant, a bit slow perhaps but no headache or feeling sick, that takes two or three bottles!
    There is a family history of alcoholism, on my mothers side, two of her siblings were alcoholics โ€“ my mum barely touches it.
    This telling the truth is so exhilarating, who knows where this might take me!
    I am known to have ferocious will power by my family and friends but wine has me beat. I read a post on this site which essentially said that so many people sabotage themselves by sticking to the diet but then drinking too much and that is me! I have hit a plateau for the last 3 weeks, entirelu=y due to booze.

So Liz I will take up your kind offer, I do need your hand, I do need your strength, and you will find me at your table very often.
    I really want to do this, I want to lose weight I want to defeat the Dark Passenger. It is exactly as you say โ€“ why I am pouring poison in myself. Thatโ€™s what the word intoxication means TOXIC!! There is also the spur of proving a certain person wrong!! We can do it
    I am starting today, not had a good week, had major hair cut trauma (when I regain my sense of humour about it I will tell you). OH was a complete insensitive dick about it. I did not turn to the bottle then, I got in my car and drove around all the places I used to go to as a child, past my grandmas home, back to my home town, through some of the loveliest countryside that England has to offer, though as its June in England it was throwing it down with rain and bloody cold.
    I drank the bottle when I got home had another row with OH who had no idea what he had done. Sayung it will grow and you have to put up with it did not go down well

Did not mean this to be an essay โ€“ got to go back to work
    Lee โ€“ sorry to hear of your loss, cancer is a bastard
    Revitalised MadMare

Please log in or register to post a reply.