New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

What a brave and cathartic post, Madmare. Well done. You can do this, you have shown how strong you are just by admitting your problem, firstly to yourself, but also to all of us. And all your new friends on here will hold your hand and support you through this, and of course, the kettle always appears to be on and a chair waiting for you at Liz’s ever-growing kitchen table.

Men just don’t understand about women’s hair, so ignore o/h. He can’t help it, he’s a man!😜 Of course, it WILL grow, but that’s not much consolation in the meantime, so you have my utmost sympathy – and a hug too, if it helps. xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

My dearest Madmare,

You have just written my life story…apart from your OH. I have not had a drink for 2 nights…that is the longest I have gone since before Christmas. I too don’t drink during the day, even if its in the fridge. I also, don’t drink anything but Wine. I have said to my family that I am the strangest alcoholic ever…but I am not. There are lots of people like us out there….but they don’t know what we know ….we CAN do without….and they don’t have the weapon we have…CANADALIZ…she is our role model and supporter.

We will all help you and if you fall off the wagon occasionally, we will lift you up and put you back on. Take care.
    Love Mary xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Joes Memory Loss

2006 was a bad year for us. We lost my Mother (careless I know but she was 87), the Dog died (she was 17), we moved house (from Essex where we moved to in 2000, back to Solihull), Joe was made redundant, and was panicking about not finding a job, our youngest Daughter was in a bad relationship, the other daughter had just met someone. I had a hysterectomy that was aborted half way through. Then had another 4 months later. You know. The usual problems.

We muddled on through 2007 and Joe found employment. In 2008 we decided that we needed a holiday. We now had two dogs so we decided a cottage holiday that accepted dogs would be great. However. I told Joe that I would expect sex at least twice whilst away and as he wouldn’t be stressed, he had no excuse. The stressful 2 years had taken its toll on our intimacy. He readily agreed.
    We arrived on the Saturday and it was idyllic. Rolling hills of green, wild garlic in the hedgerows and just the most relaxing place you could be. There was Wi-Fi, and a TV, but we didn’t really need them. We walked the dogs, strolled along dog friendly beaches and visited forests. Lovely.

We had indeed bumped uglies and it was very successful. The holiday cottages provided Cordon Bleu meals, ready prepared and delivered to the cottage. So we arranged for this, plus wine for the Thursday. That morning we went for a long walk along the coast then got home, had a shower and began to get randy with each other…It must be the country air!

It was glorious. We were enjoying ourselves (well I was and I thought he was too), when Joe declared “I must be doing something wrong, I have a headache!”

Something wrong! Something wrong! Like we haven’t done this before! We changed position and achieved the mutual ending we wanted and lay, basking in post coital glow.
    I turned to my lovely man and asked “How is your headache?”
    Joe opened his eyes….looked startled and said “What headache? And where the hell are we?”
    At first I told him not to mess about, then realised that he wasn’t messing about. He kept repeating….There is something wrong. I don’t know where I am….I have lost my memory!

Don’t worry the funny bit comes later.

I got dressed and went into the lounge to call NHS Direct, and Joe followed me. Upon seeing our dogs. One a large Red American Akita, and the other a black Labrador. He jumped and said “Bloody hell whose are those?” He didn’t know we had two daughters either.

I was told to take him to the nearest hospital which was 45 minutes’ drive away. So now, I have a husband who was panicking because he couldn’t remember anything and two dogs that were not to be left unattended in the cottage. I phoned the owner of the cottage who said he would waive the rule about the dogs and indeed feed and exercise them for me if I was a long time away. He then proceeded to arrive at the cottage.

He said…I am going to drive to the hospital and you must follow me. I do drive rather fast, but don’t worry if you hit anything it will only be me! That did scare me!

It was only 3:30 in the afternoon, but driving at speed along Cornish country lanes was not easy. Especially as Joe was on a 5 second loop. He would say….Where are we going? Bloody Hell I have lost my memory? Where are we going? Then he would go quiet for a few seconds and repeat the same sentences. No matter what answer I gave or how many times I said please be quiet, I am trying to concentrate on following a madman, driving at speeds in excess of 70 miles an hour down country lanes….he kept on.

We got to the hospital and he was quickly shown into a cubicle. For those uninitiated in NHS hospital emergency rooms. The cubicle is a bed with curtains around it.

Now the fun starts.

Skinny young Nurse: Now what is the matter…?
    Me: He has lost his memory
    Skinny young Nurse: I see. And what were you doing when this happened.
    Me: Having sex.
    Joe: No….were we? (So bloody shocked you would think I took his virginity)
    Skinny young Nurse: With a sly grin…oh yes…. (She then looked at my 44 year old gorgeous former rock singer Joe, then at his 20 stone wife and smirked).
    She took other details and walked away. When she met up with the other nurses a loud laugh was heard, then admiring (I hope) glances at me. I was obviously punching above my weight. Which is an effing great achievement for someone so large. I can’t usually punch above waist height!

Please bear in mind that the people in the other cubicles could hear this too. So everyone knew what was going on.

Next came a Doctor….I hear you have lost your memory….
    Joe: Yes….
    Doctor: What were you doing…?

Here we go!

Joe: I can’t remember (no shit Sherlock!)
    Doctor: Perhaps your wife can answer then (with a decided leer)
    Me: We were having Sex.
    Joe: NO really? (Again with the virginal disbelief).
    Doctor to me: What did you do?
    Me: Exactly what do you want to know? I didn’t think he needed details, I mean I am broad minded but…come on some things are private!
    Doctor: Did you ask him anything.
    Me: Yes I asked him what year it is and who was Prime Minister.
    Doctor: Have you medical training?
    Me: No, I just thought it was the right thing to do. (Apparently it is….I was asked several times by different Doctors and Nurses if I had medical training. I can put an Elastoplast on a cut and a bandage if necessary….)
    Doctor: Did he get the answers right
    Me: No…he thought it was 1996 and was shocked to hear it was Gordon Brown (weren’t we all?).
    Doctor looking at my ample carriage….was it vigorous sex?
    Me (sheepishly): Not really (I lied, just thrusting my hips, was vigorous to me).

By now I could hear the other patients starting to titter. After a few more questions the Doctor ordered a cat scan and an MRI, full blood work up. Then left.

Meanwhile….Joe has changed his mantra to….Oh My God…this is a hospital….have I had a heart attack? Tell me Mary you know about these things. Over and over and over and over again. The really, really strange thing was….He kept quoting the Quadratic Equation (X=-B+/-square root of B squared minus 4AC over two) and my mobile phone number, but he didn’t remember we had sex!

Another nurse approached….so you’ve lost your memory….what were you doing?
    Me: Having sex.
    Joe; Really? We were having numpty? (Bloody HELLS BELLS! I don’t ever remember him being that much of a girl).

That nurse left and Joe decided he needed a wee. I called the nurse….she asked what we needed and Joe said nothing. I said….you need a wee. He had forgotten! She left a bottle.

Then he remembered and said, can you leave me because I can’t do it if you are here. I duly went behind the curtain. Now Joe’s aim has never been that good and he obviously had trouble aiming for the neck of the Papier Mache bottle. I could hear the splashing as he missed and pissed on the floor. I later advised him to just put his love stick in the neck of the bottle and let it flow.
    Having to clean Joe’s piss off the floor wiped the smirks off the skinny Angels of Mercy’s faces though.

His mantra changed again to….OMG this is a hospital, have I had a heart attack? Did I just piss in a bottle….most of the time I answered….No… you missed.
    After a while and a visit by at least another 3 different nurses and 2 more Doctors I became aware that the same questions were being asked…
    Nurse/Doctor: So you’ve lost your memory?
    Joe: Yes
    Nurse/Doctor: What were you doing?
    Joe: I don’t remember…
    Me: We were having sex.
    Joe: Really… we were having nookie (looking so shocked I was beginning to think I had never had sex with him and had hallucinated the previous years, didn’t really have two daughters etc.

I must really be the VIRGIN MARY!

I came to realise that word had spread through the hospital that it was funny, so everyone wanted to see the bloke who had lost his memory and was surprised he had sex. I think they were surprised that we still had sex or maybe they didn’t believe me.

The hospital trains Navy Medics, so it was full of seamen (see what I did there?) Appropriate somewhat?

Whilst Joe was repeating his mantra and I was telling him he had lost his memory, I heard the people in the cubicle next to us. The man had bone cancer and was in such pain, he had come to see if the hospital could help. Suddenly my problem didn’t seem so bad.

A little while later, I heard the man tell his wife….That poor woman, she has been answering the same questions for the last hour. It’s like he can’t hold the memory. She has the patience of a saint.

Well we ARE Mary and Joseph!

The next time Joe asked why he was in hospital I told him he was abducted by aliens and they had left the anal probe in….he laughed….funnily he believed that easier than we had sex! The next answer was he tried to kiss the Queen and the bodyguards
    duffed him up. More laughs. The more he asked, the more outrageous my answers. He was awaiting plastic surgery to look like George Clooney….His dick had fallen off and we were waiting for it to be sewn back on. Soon…only the very sick were not laughing. The nurses, patients and Joe and I were giggling like little kids. By now it was around 2 in the morning, when yet another uniformed male asked the usual question of “what were you doing” and Joe reacted with shock at me taking advantage of him, such an innocent young man, he was 44! He was then taken for a cat scan. They left me by the bed with the curtains drawn back.

The man with bone cancer was making ready to leave and as he passed the cubicle struck up a conversation with me. He told me it was the most enjoyable visit to a hospital in his life. He said I mustn’t worry and he felt sure everything would be ok. I feel so humble just remembering this.

At 6 o’clock in the morning they told me I should go and get some rest. Joe would be taken to a ward and I could come back later. Thank God for Satnav. Joe had programmed the holiday cottage as home. So I did what I was told and drove back. There was a lovely mist hovering over the valleys, the sun was trying to break through. I turned down a lane and a deer was standing in the middle of the road, just looking at me. Then it seemed to do a jerky little dance and ran off.
    I ate the Cordon Bleu meal for breakfast (obscure) but left the wine in the fridge and after feeding then walking the dogs. Fell into bed. Sleep took a long time to arrive.

Later, I went back to the hospital to find Joe had been taken for an MRI…I walked down the corridor to meet him and he asked….”is it true….were we really….having Rumpy Pumpy before I lost my memory”…the porter pushing him laughed out loud. Honestly! What was his problem! He wasn’t a virgin when I met him, so why did he act like such a prude now!

Back on the ward we were visited by FOUR, yes FOUR Doctors who all wanted to know what we had been doing. I swear one of them was the Coroner, one a porter, one a cook and perhaps one was a patient who borrowed scrubs to just ask THE question and get the standard response from Joe….total shock and a little bit of horror! I was the laughing stock of the hospital. Good job I am thick skinned.

Joe was kept in hospital until the Saturday, when he was allowed to leave. The diagnosis was Transient Global Amnesia. Brought on by stress (I am obviously one hot Momma in the sack). When we got home, I brought my daughters up to date on the diagnosis (I had been phoning them to let them know what was happening). I was telling them that it was brought on by stress when THEY asked the question….

WHAT HAD YOU BEEN DOING?

• posted by AnnieW
    on

😂 oh my Joes Nonna. I just know I’m going to be breaking into giggles about that for days to come. Is “everything” ok now? Thanks for sharing.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Oh Mary, thank you!

Your story did make me giggle! I know it actually must’ve been pretty scary at the the time and I hope Joe has recovered. You are definitely a sex goddess now!

Mad mare, another courageous post. This forum started with one and it’s been so heartwarming to be part of such a warm, inclusive group who have shown such amazing strength in baring their souls. I hope we continue in the same vein. There is no judgement here. Remember that every journey starts with a single step and you are on your way (and doing it while having a bad hair day!) I’m not making light of it. Men just don’t get how our hair affects our sensitive lady psyche.

Thanks all of you for your kind messages following the death of my cousin. Apparently when I was 5, I told him I was going to marry him. The fact that I was attending his wedding at the time just did not compute!! I shall miss his smile and amazing laugh. It was one of the best!

Planning my food for tomorrow. Terrible craving for a McDonald’s breakfast (double sausage and egg muffin for which I blame Liz for following her drive thru tea debacle!!) so I plugged it in to mfp (just for the hell of it) and it was very easy to see where my excess weight came from. I could easily do two of them in the past (with hash browns obvs)

Thankfully sanity has returned and it’s a poached egg for me, though I am feeling a little resentful 😜😫😱

Anyhow, stay strong everyone. We’ve got this xxx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Madmare, My door is always open and my kettle just off the boil. And for anyone that needs it–my hand is here. I know your struggle. I was a hardcore drinker for the better part of 25 years and still would be but something clicked when I got the Type 2. I don’t want to lose limbs to diabetes or heart disease. Near everything I do now is an investment in me. I’ve even got a new little thing I do–I went to the dollar store and picked up a few boxes of poker chips. I have a pot in the kitchen and every time I make a good investment in myself I put a chip in a jar. Just looking at the jar growing more and more full reminds me that I can be the Liz I want to be.
    You’re talking to a girl who would dump half the water out of a bottle and fill it with vodka to consume at a funeral, office meeting, anything really.
    For me I can’t have just one. I can’t be trusted. You give me one and I will drink the next 26oz of gin/vodka or 3 bottles of wine. Once I said to you guys I’M LIZ AND YOU KNOW WHAT? I’M AN ALCOHOLIC and truly admitting that it had a grip on me I felt a burden lift from me. If you had a friend that constantly wrapped their arms in a clingy vice grip kind of way around you you’d finally want to say FUCK OFF. That is what I think of when I think of the weight booze put on me. I am getting my buzzes from feeling so good. So independent and the weight loss is amazing.
    I am discovering a new confidence growing within me. I went to a tits out spa for fuck’s sake! I pry myself into my size 22 bathing suit and hit the community pool. Sure I only do the breast stroke but I do it to the best and fastest of my ability and as for what others think–I couldn’t give a shit. As for the Skinny Wives of Satan–fuck them and all. But especially fuck you booze. I treat myself in other ways. I make beautiful pitchers of water with cucumber /mint/lemon/ginger–whatever mood strikes me and I sip if from a crystal glass. You know the shit you only use at Christmas and Easter. Well I busted out the good stuff for me. Because I’m worth it.
    I don’t miss anything about the suffocating relationship I had with booze. I don’t miss the DADS (day after drinking shits) I don’t miss the lethargy. I don’t miss the puffy face. I sure as Hell don’t miss the cost!!! I now love marching around the neighbourhood with my ankle weights, my big chick lycra outfits and my nordic walking poles looking like a total douchebag because it is for me and fuck anyone who judges.
    I’m not saying I don’t have weak moments but when I do I distract myself, put the kettle on, usually stand by the kitchen door and say out loud, “Liz, you’re doing this. Just stay the course. Keep trying and you won’t fail. In this moment you are doing this.” and I drink my tea, I breath in the steam and I invest in the me I want to be. I know the voice you hear that says ‘just one.’ believe me–I’ve been to the bottom of far too many bottles that started with just one. Now when I hear the “just one” I visualize those clingy clammy hands of an irritating person trying to grab hold of me and I say ‘FUCK OFF–YOU OFFER ME NOTHING.”
    At 7:30am this morning, as I thundered past the local gas station with looking like a turbo nerd with my poles a’swingin’ and my hair clinging to me as I busted an almighty sweat, a fella that was filling up looked over and hollered “looking good sweetheart looking good! keep up the good work” and it buoyed my spirit. I don’t know his journey, maybe he had to battle weight at some point and knows how hard it is but in that moment he affirmed that I am doing this and it is a good thing.
    I’m just about to put the kettle on and have a cup of tea. I’ll stand by the kitchen door and think just of you. We are doing this. In your moments of weakness take my hand and I’ll help you through. When the voices start calling you tell them “MY BIG FRIEND LIZ SAYS GO FUCK YOURSELF!!” then you’ll probably laugh and walk away thinking what kind of a nutter would talk to a bottle. But in that moment you will take pride in having invested in you. Just you.
    The friends on this site have truly moved me. I actually was brought to tears when receiving all of the lovely recipes. That people cared about me to take the time to share their ideas and inspiration was fuel for my soul and helps me soldier on.
    Much love MadMare. Much love. You are not alone in your journey–you have us and us is one hell of a good thing. We’ve got your back.
    Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Peeps,
    I’m a photo kinda gal and I’ve maybe overstepped the mark being Canadian with an inclination to unreserved abandon in a gaggle of Brits, Aussies and a Tasmanian but I’ve opened a FB account Bsugar Diet. I’ve posted a few pics so you know who you are talking to. If you want, friend request and maybe share or not. That’s okay too. I will post thought here but photos on the FB thingy.
    Much love.
    Liz

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Made it 7 days without a drink and I have lost 7 lbs AND 1 inch off my belly fat.

I have gone from drinking 3 bottles of wine or 1 litre of vodka every other night to no alcohol at all.

I don`t want to live longer, but I do want to live better.

You guys are great.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Fatty Fatty B you rock my world. I know the hurt and the journey and I am walking every recovery step with you….with Nordic poles and ankle weights in my case….oh–and looking like a total douchebag.
    We are doing this and every moment is a victory.

• posted by EC
    on

good evening everyone!!
    oh my goodness, what an amazingly supportive, honest and spunky mob you all are!

Mary, you deserve the best sex life ever after that experience!…may it be thus! and thankyou for sharing that wonderful story, with a thankfully happy outcome

Madmare, thankyou so much for your outright honesty….like many of you, wine is my demon and also never tempted during the day. I realise its a way of “winding down” usually after a non-stop work day…so am trying to quickly get in with a walk too dark, too early atm) a hot bath (useless advice for those of you in summertime) or sometimes some yoga (doesn’t quite feel like such a treat….but Oh the virtuous feeling if I do it …maybe 4 times these 4 weeks, so not pathetic)…so far this early evening, I’ve distracted myself with Liz’s trick of tea, and then more tea!

fattyfbb…seven days is Brilliant…I’ve done no more than three or four at a time, buts its still an improvement! (though my amounts were smaller it was getting WAY too regular)

I’m heading up to Nth NSW next week and loving that a few of my warmer weather clothes (its at least 10 degrees warmer there) look much better minus the 5kg I’d added this last couple of years. I’m short…only 164 cm or just under 5’5” so don’t carry extra weight well. Still about 15kg or 30odd pounds to go til I’m back to my younger weight (up until my 40s apart from all those pregnancies)…but headed in the right direction.

I KNOW that this wonderful group has kept me keeping on each day, so thanks from the bottom of my heart

another dusting of snow overnight….so pretty, but it does impede the motivation for early morning walks (even with gloves and thermals) and my garden hasn’t dried out in weeks!…north for a hit of warmth next week and I’ll be looking forward to returning to my temperate climate nest….oh, and a massage booked for tomorrow…yeah!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey FattyFattyBB,
    Wow….well done. I was feeling virtuous because I have managed 3 days. You are marvellous and strong! Keep going.

Liz…what a great idea…can I join.

EC…I envy you so much. I hate the heat and exercise much better in the winter. Plus i love snowy scenes.

Take care for now.

Mary xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi everyone, hope the week has ended well for you!
    Have been laughing so much reading this weeks posts, thank you for sharing everyone and madmare and others struggling with the beastie, I feel your struggle, I’m doing the same, have avoided the word dependency but that’s what I have, to be sure! Looking back in shame I realised that apart from pregnancy and breastfeeding I have been drinking almost nightly for 30 years!! And I wonder why I can’t lose weight… it’s also all or nothing for me, if there’s wine in the house I’ll drink it, but weirdly if there isn’t I’m ok apart from a couple of twitchy moments! On Monday I decided not to drink for a month. Was gong well then felt a little down and found myself in the bottle shop. Drank the bottle. Husband away so no brakes!! ( lucky I only bought the one 😐)
    Well now I’ve just done two nights sans wine and feel great! Sleeping well, minimal food cravings, great mood. Can I last?? Sorry to ramble but it really helps to write it down. Will take it one day at a time..

on

FFBB 👏👏👏

Well done you. You should be very proud and deservedly so! Isn’t tea the true amber nectar??!!!

Poet Laureate Canada Liz, great idea. I’m a fb girl too so have friend requested you! Lovely pics. I can imagine myself having tea in your lovely kitchen now with the lovely Kev rolling his eyes in despair at the gaggle of women invading his kitchen! True United Nations gathering!

Bit of a weird morning for me today! Went to docs for a check up following my hospital excursion. First time I’ve seen him since my formal diagnosis of T2..

Now I love my GP. He’s always been ace and as a semi clinical person myself, we have a great rapport. So I was somewhat surprised that he wasn’t interested in my weight (I did want to show off a bit I think! 😇) my bs levels ( he said I don’t want you to test at all) or my bp (which on my assessment is dropping so significantly that I think my medication should be titrated as I’m now borderline hypotensive)

He also said, I could have done nothing to avoid T2 (it was all too prevalent in the family) but that my weight loss since 2012 had probably delayed it)

I have been booked into the diabetes clinic for the 17th July with the nurse and based on the experiences I’ve seen across this forum, I’m expecting to be given the high carb talk. Grrrr!

Can’t help but feel a bit demoralised. It’s almost like they don’t want me to be actively involved in my own health management. Well fuck em. It won’t be them losing their vision or a leg or all the other complications that could make up my future, so they will just have to deal with me as I’m the one who will be making decisions here!!

Fortunately, I have a day off today. I work compressed hours allowing me to have every other Friday off. So I will re-group and chill today. Have bought “that sugar film” on DVD and thought that Wouk be an interesting watch while snuggling with my beautiful cat Kerry!🐱

L xxx

on

Oh and Inka, you can do this. You have the brakes in you, I promise!

I don’t classify myself as dependent, more a binger! So it actually hasn’t been the hardest bit of this for me. But I haven’t really been challenged yet in a social situation. My trip back to Galway next weekend will be interesting!

The improved sleep has been the best “side effect ” for me. So perhaps think how great you feel waking up sans wine…

Good Luck xxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Thanks for your support it means more than I can say.
    Liz thank you – I was giggling, imagining me bellowing at a bottle – it is the sort of thing I would do!
    Mary – your post made my day – its not only Liz who can deliver great ancedotes.

Got home last night feeling good – been to see the aged relatives (parents, been shopping) OH had made dinner (think there is a bit of guilt there!). I got in unpacked shopping, then put a bottle of wine I had bought on the table.
    I sat and looked at it and it looked at me.
    Silence.
    I waited.
    No flapping of leathery wing, no whispering from the Dark Passenger. I sat a minute longer savouring the silence and then went upstairs to change the bed.
    When I came down for dinner the OH had opened the bottle and poured me a glass thinking he was being thoughtful. I was staring at the glass, the silence in my head was deafening.
    I drank that glass of wine and instead of guzzling it back, I sipped it, I savoured it, I enjoyed it.
    I had another one and a half glasses over the whole evening then put half a bottle of wine in the fridge and took a cup of tea to bed. I cannot remember the last time I had more than a smidge of wine left at the end of the evening. I used to not quite empty the bottle so I could pretend I had not drunk a whole one.
    I am not going to be foolish enough to think he is gone, you don’t become the Prince of Lies by taking me on when I have my ‘come on if you think you’re hard enough’ head on. But when he does I am going to be shouting” MY FRIEND LIZ SAYS FUCK YOU AND SO DO I”
    Its so weird, after telling the truth to you all everything seems so much clearer, like you said Liz its if a burden has lifted. I like the idea of poker chips – and I am going to start putting the money I save away and treating myself. I have my eyes on some earrings – fake diamonds!!

Anyway enough about me
    Lee I too am so surprised at your doctor, since the doctors are always warning about rising levels of obesity
    Don’t be demoralised – in situations like this I am starting to think WHAT WOULD LIZ DO?
    So for your diabetes appointment fill up with sauerkraut and Brussel sprouts a couple of hours before hand and when they give you the high carb spiel give it the reception it deserves!!
    Much love to all
    Madmare

• posted by kate368
    on

Love your idea of a letter of support to yourself. Haven’t read all the way down yet but I do hope it helped!

on

I second the comments about sleep quality.

The last few nights have been amazing, sleep wise. I put this squarely down to no alcohol.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Madmare, well done for only having a small drink…I would have downed the bottle and sent Joe out for another! You are a star. xxxx

on

Just a quickie.

Manged to avoid the siren call of the booze aisle in the supermarket. Avoided eating my mum’s chips at lunchtime and stuck to my planned meal (skipping breakfast is not a good idea for me) and ran an errand whilst she finished lunch.

Bought 2 glass jugs for my fridge door to chill tap water as I am informed that refilling plastic bottles is not good for the health.

PMT is due to hit on Tuesday. I know when I was doing LCHF it was hit and miss as to how I felt “in myself”/bowels/cramps. I never missed a period and I was regular so I am intrigued to see how this affects it. So far this week my mood is more even day to day that is probably due to no alcohol.

XX FFBB

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thank you LeeLee, and I did wake up feeling great this morning, aaargh, so why do I go back? If I even have 2 glasses I only average 3 hrs sleep, have been so tired for years.
    I think I’m a mix of binger AND dependent yet if I get through 2 or 3 days without wine I find it easy to go on for another week, usually till a social event details me!
    BUT feeling super positive this morning and I WILL make good choices tonight!
    Love the support on here, thanks again and Madmare well done on savouring and moving on to tea!!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Oh and ffb, well done for ignoring that siren call, I think once done it gets easier the next time 😃

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey FFBB–but can we change that to Fucking Fabulous Bodacious Bitch!!!
    You rock my world. Discovering the control we can have is amazing. I am high on learning about the new me–and you!
    Keep on investing in you.
    Much love,
    Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Chickadees,
    Just so you know, Kev and I are driving to Florida tomorrow over the next 2 days. It is a 24 hour drive which is a bastard. Anyway, my nemesis is just north of the border of Florida and Georgia where there is a barbecue shack you would sell your soul for–I’m talking pulled pork, beef brisket and the like…… I love me some southern pit bbq……
    Anyhow, moving on, I hate change and as such, though I’m on the menopause, I’ve got period symptoms that are pissing me off. My tits are sore and I am swollen but I haven’t had a period since ever–actually it was February just before Mum’s stroke so I’m okay on the bleed factor but just feel like shit.
    We have to go down as we have a home in Florida that we bought during the crash at a crazy bargain and are now selling as our dollar is low against the US so will make a parcel and what with Trump being him (avoiding politics) it is all a good time. So, if I am still conscious after 12 hours on the road tomorrow may post……hopefully to report I didn’t crazy indulge in southern Georgia pit bbq…..
    I just love you guys, Let’s spend tomorrow doing the best we can and maybe even take a moment to say–how amazing are we.
    Much love,
    Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done to everyone! Including me. I have weighed myself this morning and have lost 5 pounds, since Tuesday. Yay me.

I have to say, I couldn’t have done it without you. Every time I think of having a drink, I think of all of you and how hard you are working and it helps me to stay sober. I was going to ‘treat’ myself tonight and have a drink, but now I will treat myself and NOT have a drink.

Thank you all so much

Liz, sounds like a gruelling trip, I hope something good comes from it. Safe journey.

Love Mary xxx

on

Mary!!!! I’m so pleased for you.
    I love the way you are thinking about treating yourself by NOT having a drink. What a good way to think of it…

Safe journey Liz and Kev. I’ve never been to Florida but planning to visit my cousin in Tampa next summer (once his pool is finished!!)

BHF have been to collect some stuff this morning including all my fat clothes. Oh dear, no going back now…I can’t afford to replace again! Still got my savings jar going. It goes up to £1000 before you smash it… so I will be off to Canada 🇨🇦 with a new wardrobe ( and perhaps some Nordic poles!) Tee hee!!

Have a great day everyone

L xx 😘

• posted by EC
    on

Oh Mary, Madmare and FFBB….well done….I was going to make today ….1st day of a new month, the start of greater abstinence ….I’d been better initially, but the creep has been incremental…BUT had one glass tonight and then pushed away the glass!!

also I was also going to start BSD on 1st June and started on 5th….so 4 weeks Monday may be the perfect day to stop the red!

Liz…hope your trip is easy….I personally love long drives…but 24 hours is maybe TOO long……take a HUGE thermos of tea!!….and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!….if I remember right, it’s tomorrow?

Mary…it is beautiful where I live, and I’m eternally appreciative…can’t believe my luck, really. but many locals say they’d never live here as its cold and damp in winter (and we get little to no sun right now and my garden is permanently damp at the moment)…but those brisk walks and the dog cavorting in the frost are special. I definitely saw my breath this morning!!

On another note…I’m not a huge fan of cabbage (my mother was a very ordinary cook and memories of over-mayonaissed coleslaw and the smell of boiled cabbage (not to mention tripe!! ugggh!!.. a lifetime deterrent)….but bought a lovely red cabbage at the farmers market last weekend and made this last night….it’s DELICIOUS!! I used mirin instead of sugar (WAY less calories)…and we had it again tonight as a side…with the previous aubergine recipe also as a side and a small slice (50g) of grilled halloumi YUM…..total 304 calories according to Myfitnesspal (which seems to be super excited that I have logged in for 27 days straight!!)

happy Sunday for tomorrow all!

Ingredients

1.25kg (2 3/4lb) large red cabbage, finely shredded
    2-3 red chillies, halved, deseeded and chopped
    1 thumb-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely sliced
    4 star anise
    2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
    5 tbsp rice vinegar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    4 level tbsp caster sugar
    4 spring onions, finely sliced
    2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
    1 tbsp sesame oil

If you prefer cabbage to have less bite and be a bit softer, add more liquid and cook on a low heat, uncovered, for an extra 20 minutes or so.

Method

Put all the ingredients, except the spring onions, sesame seeds and sesame oil, into a large pan with a lid and bring to a simmer.
    Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, then uncover and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
    Stir in half the spring onions and half the sesame seeds. Spoon into a large bowl and sprinkle with the rest of the spring onions, sesame seeds and the sesame oil.

Cook’s tip:If you prefer cabbage to have less bite and be a bit softer, add more liquid and cook on a low heat, uncovered, for an extra 20 minutes or so..

on

Yay for you Mary. 👍

Liz, You can call me whatever you like. I am so pleased that where I live in merry ol’ England there are no BBQ spots. I watch Diners, Drive ins and Dives. I drool at the food, marvel at the portion sizes, wonder how they produce the food for the prices quoted and think that if I lived in America I would weigh 400 lbs! Mum and dad have been to Canada 3 times and each time came back heavier and marvelling about the portion sizes. 😲😱

I also take strength from my fellow posters on here. I take each day at a time and congratulate myself every time I defy my inner voice.

Yes I want a drink, but No I won’t have one. I have already gone 1 week without a drink, 7 more weeks should be a piece of piss!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Just had to drop in to say made through night three with no wine! ( despite a stressful evening too) 😇

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Inka13,

You are amazing. I know its not easy, especially when someone irritates you, or for me it just has to be Friday. I sat last night thinking, well its Friday, other people drink on Friday so its ok for me.
    Then I thought of Liz and Madmare, and EC and Lee and you and picked up my sewing and concentrated on that instead. Keep going!

Mary xxx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I went to California for my honeymoon 25 years ago and came back a stone heavier 😎😮🤐 I think it was the Huevos Rancheros at the local Mexican restaurant every morning for breakfast that did the bulk of the damage, although the fridge full of free wine coolers that we drank all day like soft drinks probably didn’t help. I have in the past been in the bottle or more of wine a night brigade, but have found that even after relaxing the diet now I am on maintenance I haven’t even been tempted to return to those days. I will have a glass of wine (or beer or gin or whisky) and just stop and drink sparkling water instead, satisfied. I have occasionally gone up to three glasses socially (or with Prosecco which is still a bit of a weakness, luckily not an everyday one), but with no cravings or difficulty the next day. I am proud of you all for facing up to your demons and dark passengers, and staying in control. The improvement in sleep quality is such a nice bonus as well.

on

Well done Mary and inka. How good do you feel right now?

I had a bit of an epic fail today….but in a nice way, sort of!
    Just collected two of my most expensive dresses that I had paid £70 to have taken in. Problem is that I’ve lost half a stone (7lbs) since he pinned them, so they are too big again!!! 😇😘

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Wow Lee, Congratulations!

I feel very smug at the moment. I called Joe in to witness the scales and he said yes, you are under 18 stone. I did it twice just to make sure. I have just got back from the supermarket…I looked at the wine aisle and thought….no I don’t need to go there. Then I saw some tiny bottles of wine for £2, just enough for one glass and I thought….no…I don’t need that.

£70 to take in two dresses seems a lot…are they tailored?

Thank you for your support.

Mary xxx

on

Mary, where have you been hiding? You are really shining this week. Couldn’t be happier for you at your loss and your supermarket willpower!!

Yes, the dresses were very tailored and lined. One cost me £250 and the other £180 when I purchased them, so £30 to upcycle was a good investment! He’s done an amazing job to be fair. Not his fault I had a whoosh week. It was a total 7.8lbs off this week! I just didn’t think I would do so well, so quickly on bsd…

I suspect I will gain or at the very best, stay the same after my trip back to Galway next weekend. My cousins are taking me to the Connaught senior football final, so it will be a tricky time! I’m hoping I can offer to drive…🤣😳

So, with that in mind I suspect the black and white dress will work for my cousin’s funeral on the 13th. But I do have a lovely one on order too (I think shopping is my new addiction!)

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lee, perhaps you should hold off having any more clothes altered. You are obviously doing this right.

Good luck in Galway. My mother was from Dublin and I am well aware of Irish hospitality! I went once, didn’t drink any alcohol and still came back half a stone heavier, just from having Tea. In my Aunts house, Tea meant the whole table was laid with sandwiches, cakes and biscuits, and I was not allowed to say no.

Even if you do gain, you have the weapons to lose it again.

Love Mary
    xxx

on

Let’s hope so Mary
    Xxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Guys, I joined you on Facebook. I thought it was a matter of being honest as to who I am . But in retrospect, I can be more honest if I stick to my alter ego only. I have work colleagues and family who are my friends on FB and I don’t want any leakage between here and the real world. I’m honest here and it wouldn’t do me any good whatsoever professionally. So I’m going to unfriend, if I can.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Snoop, I understand what you mean, but can you just not post anything inflammatory on fb? I think the only thing you will miss out on is photos anyway. This is our safe zone.

Take care,
    Mary xxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

No reason why I would post anything inflammatory on FB. But as you say, this is our safe zone. Oddly, I’ve managed to keep the same name across all my online activities. No idea how, as you’d think it would be an obvious one for lots of people to choose. So if anyone can find me here, they’ll find me everywhere! I think I have autistic tendencies and am ridiculously recluse now. It’s become a way of life and I find it very difficult to open up. This thread is quite a revelation for me.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well Snoop, you have to do what is right for you. No-one here will take offence if you unfriend us from Facebook.
    Mary xxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks, Mary. Apologies for the self-absorption.

As you were, guys!

on

Totally understand Snoop. I’m so open on here and have put nowt about it on fb.

I suspect Liz as owner can make it a closed group, so no way of cross leaks. I have to admit I would prefer that too!

But stay with us here. It is our safe haven
    L 😘

on

I am the same on fb which is why I don`t have a profile pic. My wall is just game crap.

This is my safe zone, even more so than Fat Secret.

First rule of the BSD forum….don`t talk about the BSD forum.

Second rule is…..what is said on the BSD forum stays on the BSD forum!

Too dramatic?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lol…FFBB,

I think it was just intended that we could share photos on FB. My profile picture is actually my embroidery, so I posted a picture to enable you all to put a face to the name. My brothers aren’t even friends with me on FB. I am very careful what I post. I love your rules FFBB.

Mary xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks Mary and Lee! I do feel proud and am kind of looking forward to each night now where I say no, not needed. I know some social situations will come up soon but hope to be like mixnmatch and just have one or two without triggering a deluge! (well done mixnmatch, btw, that’s encouraging!)

• posted by Inka13
    on

P.S Mary well done! Especially even with the small bottle, that’s willpower as they seem so much safer!
    Lee, ouch! I agree, no more alterations for a while!.,

• posted by EC
    on

Hi Snoop. I also totally understand. I am a very infrequent fb user except for work as I have “pages” that I need to promote in my work and its also a way to keep up with my ever-growing and allover the place (geographically) family and friends. I even tried to make a separate profile for the forum group but the technology eluded me, so I’ve bitten the bullet and joined!! This forum is the first time I’ve ever “come out” on anything like this and its been a good thing, though even now, I have to breathe deep before revealing anything personal…you’re all an inspiration!
    anyhow, for those of you interested, there are pics of me on my profile (not the old shed roof…there’s a story in that for another time)…..the third photo in (I’m the one in glasses…and one of my gorgeous sons is in the pic) is about how I look of late (and you’ll see why I’m here!!)…though the face is a little less round already!!

Anyhoo dear ones, hope you’ve had (or most of you still having…(mine is coming to a close…)) a great weekend.
    I’m off to the kitchen to decide what next wonderful BSD friendly meal it’s going to be tonight (and the promise of a hot bath to distract me from wishing-for-wine)

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey CanadaLiz,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

Love
    Mary xxx

• posted by Boo
    on

Hi
    I’d love to join this thread. I find it really inspiring. I’m fighting many of the same battles and love the fighting spirit and humour shown on here.
    I’m 5’ 1” and 162.8llbs (So basically a cube with feet ) Have a couple of health issues. Would like to get the weight down for health reasons. Have lost 20lbs over the last year by on and off BSD. Would like to lose a lot more.
    Thanks
    All the best to everyone.

on

Happy Birthday oracle Liz! 🎁🎉🇨🇦🍒

So, today was officially my weigh day and unbelievably it’s a total 9lbs off in the last week. Realistically I know it will slow down now, but in reality I only have 3 weeks left of my 8. I shall extend for a week to take Galway into account. Have worked out that my tdee to maintain is 1550 calories, so if I shall try to stick to that while away and will be honest with you all while away as will still have wifi!

So, my goal is set at 135 lbs or 9 stone 9lbs. I’m not going to fix on that for sure but I can’t imagine weighing less and looking well…
    Will have to rely on you ladies to support and guide me.

Been thinking a bit about Iain Holland and the opportunity he threw away to be part of this. It was me who reported him to the moderator but I can’t help thinking about him and hoping he is ok. Guess I’m just a softie at heart…

Have a good Sunday everyone

L xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.