New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Welcome Boo!
    This is absolutely the best group to be a part of. We are real. We admit to our struggles and share in all its unvarnished glory!!!

Personally, I feel I have made friends for life.

I hope you find the support on here helpful. We are all on this journey and carry each other when times get tough.

L 😘

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Welcome Boo. We all have demons and this forum, led by the Divine Miss Canada Liz, is our weapon against them.

Lee you are a star. I haven’t given myself a target, because there is so much to lose, so I am just enjoying every bit that goes.
    Don’t feel bad about Iain, I think he was either a troll or still drinking. He may still be there but not posting. I am like you in that I wish him every success.

I really, really, wish there was a ‘like; button on these posts though.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Love Mary
    xxxx

• posted by EC
    on

still online, but about to have that bath!!! (and head southern Aus time bedwards)

welcome Boo and SO well done Lee. Lee… I also feel sad that Ian has left (though the time differnce meant that the offending posts were removed before I read them…..however we ALL need this type of support !!!

Am also away from Tuesday…while not in Ireland with all its beauty and temptations, will be staying with a friend whom I love dearly but is my true music and wine-buddy…so will be as good as possible in the circumstances, but also happy for maintenance (neither that belly, nor the chipmunk cheeks are welcome back!!)… I will do this for as long as it takes…8 weeks x 8 x 8 or whatever!!

…..Liz…you will be just waking to a new birthday and new year of YOU…may it be the best!!
    here’s a birthday poem that I came across and may be a verse for all of us…a reminder that the creative in us needs nurturing

Peregrina

O mother of the sea
    lend me a wave that is strong and true
    to carry me from this Age which unbinds me

I do not need a ship, mother,
    but make it a buoyant swell
    to bear me up and float me on the sea’s dreaming
    then beach me on some lighter shore

when I land there, give me warp an weft again,
    and an urchin quill to remind me
    how the prettiest barb can lodge under your skin
    and leave you undone

Only lend me a loom and I will
    take up the threads of this unravelled life.
    I will weave a braid from three strands of seaweed
    I will wind it three times around my finger
    I will dig my salt-encrusted hands into the soil
    and wed myself to the thirsty
    brown roots of a new beginning

Sharon Blackie

on

What a lovely poem EC. Inspiration for us all but a lovely gift 🎁 to share for Liz on this day.

Got lovely blue skies here in London today. Got a online shopping delivery coming (not up to facing the big supermarket aisle yet!) this way I only get good foods!

Currently sat having a vanilla infused coffee with full cream milk. I guess with the vanilla it’s not strictly bsd but it works for me and feels so decadent that I’m keeping it as my weekend treat!! I’m also enjoying my Sunday tv treat. (An hour of the extreme weight loss show followed by the biggest loser USA) I may not be following their methods but find they inspire me for the week ahead. Whatever works right?

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I agree with Lee, EC lovely poem.

Hey Lee, like they say, whatever gets you through the day. Because it is Sunday and I have been so good (my halo will slip in a bit) I have had a poached egg on smoked salmon and water cress. Yummy and a little decadent.

Love Mary xxxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Great poem, EC. Happy birthday, Liz.

And thanks to everyone for all the support.

on

Note to self:
    When you are an addict in recovery Don’t read the Waitrose Food made to order brochure if they deliver one along with your food….

• posted by Snoop
    on

Definitely need a like button for that one, LLCC.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

We really need “like buttons” on this forum. I have to admit it girls….I really want to relax and …drink!
    I am angry with myself for feeling like this and poor Joe is catching the sharp edge of my tongue (don’t worry about him, he can take it).
    I am going to prepare my salad, and drink some water. Hope that helps me!

Take care everyone.

Love Mary
    xxxx

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Hi all,

My voluntary shift went well in the charity shop, nice and busy and 98 % nice folk and a regular customer complimented me on my weight loss! Finally someone outside my family (and boss) has noticed!

I sometimes think people don’t want to mention weight loss when they see it in case they offend (like we don’t know we are fa!t).

Successful day, WOE wise, as I stuck to my calories again but had an extra egg at breakfast so less almonds at lunch.

Resisted an invite to the riverside beer garden….I am not strong enough. I don’t need the temptation and I would not be able to stop at 1. A few weeks ago I ended up in the beer garden and got completely pissed, which triggered a week long bender of vodka, wine, crisps and soured cream and chive dip. This means I cannot go to a leaving do on Thursday as it is in the pub, I have given my apologies, I do have to be up early on Friday so that was my excuse.

I may WANT to drink alcohol and have junk food, but I don’t NEED to drink alcohol or have junk food. What I NEED to do is persevere and commit and get to be the best possible me that I can be.

As always, thank you for the the continuing support.

FFBB X

on

Sunday night blues Mary. You’ve got this.
    I’m distracting myself writing a packing list for Galway….

But I will admit I have gone over on my calories for the day. Will end on 991. Eeek!! But I felt like I needed it tbh as haven’t felt great, so refuse to feel bad about myself….

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well Done Fattyfbb, recognising our problems and overcoming them is a brilliant thing to do.

Thanks Lee, I am a little calmer now. Have had a long shower, prepared and eaten a salad and a large glass of water. (yeuk).
    I would still prefer to be drinking wine, but I know I can’t. I am not really, really strict about 800 a day. If I go over its not by much so I don’t care lol. As long as its around the right number (i.e. below 1000) and I rarely go above 900 I am happy.

Take care.
    Mary
    xxx

on

Stay strong Mary, you can do this…. I did X and you’re right, a poached egg does seem decadent.

You are still doing well Lee, back on it tomorrow. X

Happy birthday Liz.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you FFBB. xxx

on

Well done FFBB!
    It’s sensible to remove yourself from situations until you feel better able to cope. And you will you know. The longer you do, the easier it gets…
    L xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Well done on getting through Lee, Mary and FFBB, I too resisted the wine ( can’t say the same for the Irish whisky though😩) sooo annoyed and disappointed in myself. This morning I will pour out the remaining ginger beer that triggered my lapse ( would not have had it if I didn’t have a mixer!!!!)
    Oh well, did ok on the food side at least. Stay strong girls!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good luck Inka….don’t be too hard on yourself the alcohol is very tricksy and gets you when you don’t expect it. Tomorrow is another day.

Maryxxx

on

This is an interesting turn of events (to me).

Got my period 4 days early. I wasn’t surprised that much as my breasts have been tender over the weekend so I was prepared (which shows how important it is to listen to our bodies/systems).

What did surprise me is that I have had NO PMT. Ever since I started my periods at 15 I have had awful PMT, I am a bitch, my temper is short, I don’t suffer fools gladly and generally have to bite my tongue to stop myself upsetting people. I also burst into tears at the drop of a hat! This has been the standard for 2-3 days out of every month for years.

Through being a size 14 up to a size 26 one constant has been 2-3 days of hormone induced bitchiness a month until now. The PMT was easier on LCHF but I still had symptoms.

I don’t know if this is usual on a low calorie diet (I still have the usual bad cramps/poop issues/flow) but I will monitor it.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

FFBB. X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Too late for me FFBB, as I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago. So glad you aren’t getting it though….as if it wasn’t enough to feel like your uterus is falling out of your nether regions, why do we have to have PMT. Let’s hope it’s a permanent thing that you missed it this month.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi,

I recently wrote that I seem to be a binge drinker albeit infrequent. While I think wine doesn’t play a healthy part in weight loss, I have allowed myself a couple of glasses lately. Each glass 100 ml and what a miracle – I didn’t reach for more glasses. Obviously I CAN stop when I want to. Seems it only took a bit of mindfulness. Before I go congratulating myself any further, will report on progress in a while.

Have had a penchant for strawberries and cream lately. A real treat but doesn’t cream contain some calories.

Am continuing the BSD, same same, though have had a change from trousers falling down – ripped a pair from waist to god knows where the other night. Seems I also have a penchant for showing my arse!

On that note, I will leave off. Hopefully your arses are covered and your tummies full of lovely bsd food.

Bigeater

• posted by Inka13
    on

Lol Bigeater!! Well done though and keep on keeping on!!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Lol Bigeater!! Well done though and keep on keeping on!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Lol Bigeater. And with regard to the cream, if you’ve got spare calories and can fit it in within your 800 calories, it’s BSD friendly.

I occasionally do a dish consisting of courgetti cooked in a bit of butter with a sauce made of cherry toms, smoked salmon and creme fraiche. Delicious. Feels very rich and decadent, but not that many calories in fact. It’s a one pan meal: fry the courgetti till nearly done, add some halved cherry toms and cook again till relatively soft, then add the smoked salmon followed by the creme fraiche and heat till hot. Eat with joy.

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Hey Peeps, Am back. Okay, so where to begin. First off–there is so much to respond to but I will do that later today. And oh my God– FLORIDA IS AS HOT AS SATAN’S BALLS IN JULY!!! We had to get here as we have sold our home here in Sarasota and need to move stuff out. Anyway, yesterday was my birthday and I mostly spent it in roadside toilets between South Carolina and here with a terminal case of the squirts. And barfed a couple of times. On the first day on the road I was feeling like shit, bloated, sore tits etc. but didn’t think I would actually get a period though and thought it was just due to all of the upheaval what with selling the Florida house etc. I don’t like change at all–ever. Virtuous me prepared healthy food for the road but maybe the cool packs weren’t enough after 12 hours as by the wee hours of day 2 I was seriously crapping for Canada. I’m talking gripping the seat, feet off the floor, rocket propelled shits.
    But to make my day even better, yes, my birthday….I got my “lady bleed” (new term for me….keep reading) and didn’t have any jam rags……oh, I bought a box of vampire mice just the day before we left as I had period symptoms……. and left them on the kitchen counter back home. Idiot me. I seriously didn’t think I would actually get a period as haven’t had one in months AND AM 50 FUCKING 4–SO ENOUGH ALREADY. It’s funny, I was standing in line at the pharmacy thinking the girl probably thinks I’m buying them for my daughter as I’m way too old for these.
    So anyway, here’s how my crimson wave adventure went…..
    There I was with my Kev in the Deep South, barreling down I-95 through Georgia and Hell-bent for Florida, when I got my period. As we were stopping due to my squirts anyway at every roadside toilet I figured I would get some necessaries at the next gas station. Funnily, Kev finds any mention of β€˜lady issues’ very unsettling but will happily gently calm and support me as I grip the dashboard in the throes of ass cramps trying not to shit my pants before the next roadside bathroom. This is a man that will race lights and sirens to an industrial accident, dislodge a severed arm from a machine, provide lifesaving care to the recent amputee but yet ask him to pick up tampons on the way home from work and he comes over all funny. About twenty years ago I added Tampax to a short grocery list that included cheese, milk, tea bags, green beans, bread and a red pepper….he came home with a bottle of Bourbon; he had drawn his line in the sand and I have kept mention of any lady related issues to a minimum.

Anyway, so the day before the trip I was out picking up bits and pieces like you do before a trip and bought a box of menthol infused tissues which I thought would A: keep the car smelling fresh….which by day two with me, Kev and the dog can get pretty rank and B: would meet our nasal needs as we both suffer allergies once we get south of Georgia as they are in full seasonal bloom and it hits us both hard. As such, and in desperate need, I discreetly grabbed a good dozen minty fresh tissues and stuffed them in my knickers until further more suitable measures could be undertaken.

At my request we pulled into the next gas hut and Kev began to fill the tank. I entered the store and combed each aisle under the watchful eye of the proprietress to no avail. Passing the hotdogs gently rolling on the hot bars under the heat lamps, and the slurpee machine offering 34 flavours, they had every possible creature in the form of jerky (dehydrated meat/salt) but no tampons. I was about to give up when I spotted them…..behind the counter. Between me and the peace of mind only another woman can understand was the biggest , and IIIIIIIIIIII mean biggest lady of African American persuasion I had ever seen. Big. Like 550lbs big. And yes, this actually happened….even I couldn’t make this shit up.

β€œSUGAR! CAN I HELP YOU WITH SOMTHIN’?” she drawled at full volume.

β€œYes, um, I wondered if I could have, um, (vaguely pointing behind her) something of ,well, um, a lady’s nature?” I stammered with an accompanying fan-like flutter of my fingers in the region of my own deep south. Yes, I’m 54 and can’t ask for tampons.

Therein followed a long pause as she considered my request…. and then the light went on.

β€œYOU MEAN YOU BIN AND GOT YO LADY BLEED ON YO HOLIDAY?! WHATCHALL GO AN DONE THAT FO’? THAT IT AIN’T IT? YOU GOT YO LADY BLEED! WELL AIN’T THAT THE CUTEST THING I EVER DID HEARβ€”YOU WANT SOMETHIN’ OF A LAAAAADY NATURE. A FIRST I’M THINKIN’ HAIRSPRAY BUT THEN I THOUGHT ABOUT YOU WIGGLIN’ YALL’S FINGAS AND THOUGHT NO LASHEENA SHE TALKIN’ ABOUT HER LADY BLEEDβ€”JUST A SECON’…..(she turns towards the door behind and calls through the bead curtain) LABAYA………LABAAAAAYA………LAβ€”Aβ€”BAAAAAAAYA!!!!!!!

(after a few long moments Labaya emerges through the beads…..well, mostly, and stops with some of the strands still draping on her shoulder…. and let’s just say Labaya was Lasheena’s even bigger sister.)

β€˜LABAYA, COME HERE AND MEET THIS CANADIAN LADY, I KNOWS YOU IS CANADIAN β€˜CAUSE YOU IS SO DAMNED PO-LITE (turning to me) GO ON, TELL HER WHAT YOU AX ME.)

wtf? I think

β€œGO ON, TELL HER LIKE YOU AX ME FOR THE YOU KNOW AND DO THE FINGERS.”

At this juncture I must mention that my body heat had caused the menthol infused tissues to release their caustic oils and my undercarriage was beginning to feel as if I had douched with peppermint schnapps.

Desperate to end this journey into the Twilight Zone I humoured the gargantuan keeper of the tampons and offered a quiet β€œI asked your sister if she had anything of a lady’s nature.”

β€œDO THE FINGERS!!”

I did the fingers which launched over 1000lbs of female flesh into hysterical laughter.

Then LaBaya offered: β€˜GIRL, YOU SHOULDDA BIN HERE BUT A HALF HOUR PAST. THIS NEW YORK GIRL, AND YOU KNOOOOOOWS WHAT I MEAN WHEN I SAYS NEW YORK GIRL (I didn’t but smiled and nodded in the hope that a positive acknowledgment was the precious token required to persuade the keepers of the tampons to dispense the sacred grail), WELL SHE COMES IN BOOOOOLD AS A HOG ON APPLES (no idea) AND SAYS SHE WANTS SOME COMDONS (sic), AND SHE NEVER SO MUCH AS BLINKED MAY THE GRACIOUS LORD LOVE HER. SO I SAYS TO LASHEENA I SAYS β€˜LASHEENA, IT’S THE 20TH CENTURY (clearly in shithole county Georgia) AND WOMENS IS THAY’S OWN BOSS AND AIN’T AFEARED OF AXIN’ FO NOTHIN’ AND THEN YOU COMES IN AND YOU’S ALL LIKE β€˜THINGS OF A LAAAAAAAADY’S NATURE.”

Again, they are reduced to tears and laughter whilst fanning their fingers over their lady parts then each grasping the counter intermittently to catch their breath, each further offering numerous β€˜OOOOOOOOOOOH MY SWEET SACRED LOOOOOOOORD.”

Aaaaaand then LaSheena remembers her sister’s camping trip.

β€œLABAYA, REMEMBER WHEN YOU WENTS CAMPIN’ AND YOU GOT YO LADY BLEED AND JOE PAUL, (turning to me and whispering) he was a white boy you know, GIVED YOU A ROLL OF, (at which point LaBaya delivered her sister an arm slap, so turning to me to continue, and under her breath as if mention of her sister’s monthly deserved appropriate discretion but my circumstance was suitable for broadcast such that the trucker at pump 74 could hear as he filled his rig with diesel)….. he done handed her a handful of paper towel and a roll of duct tape and said make do β€˜cause there was no ways he was goin’ in to town for no lady gear….”

Okay then.

Aaaaaaand then LaBaya, feeling my life would not be complete without sharing how her grandmother dealt with her lady bleed, offered a mercifully briefish account of how back in the day (probably last month) they wrapped old cloth around Spanish Moss and cotton buds.

Alrighty then.

β€œSO WHATCHALL WANT THE INSIDE POKIES OR THE OUTSIDE BIGGIE CLOTHS…THESE ONES GOT WINGS?” (she offered whilst examining the box then holding it up and pointing out the wings).

β€œCyanide if it’s not too much to ask” replied my inside voice silently just as my Kev came in wondering what was holding up the road trip.

β€˜IS THIS YO HUSBAND? OH WEEZ TALKIN’ ABOUT THINGS OF A LADY’S NATURE!!!! He left without question.

I finally got the requisite β€œlady gear”, retreated to the restroom, then return to the car, after receiving numerous β€œGOD BLESS YOU GIRL”(s) to find my Kev waiting patiently or rather too afraid to ask about the cause for the delay. So between an ass as red as a baboon’s–sore from all the wiping due to my turbo shits episode AND my fucking period plus still healing from the humiliation of having to actually ask a total stranger for lady gear I’m feeling a bit fragile. BUT have not had booze and am off now to the pool for a soak.

I’ll have a proper read of all of your news tonight and respond as I go. Love you chicks huge. No wait. I hugely love you chicks. No. Fuck–drop the huge and just know I love you. Fuck. Not demanding you lose weight. Love you the way you are and am off for a cup of tea to think of you and reset my goals. I can’t use the “but I had a shit birthday (HAHAHAHA–ACTUALLY HAD THE SHITS ON MY BIRTHDAY) and deserve a treat” line that was creeping into my logic. Tea and you will realign me.

Menstrually yours, Liz

on

Only you Liz!!!
    I love the characters you habitually come across (and their bonkers names!)

Sorry you had such a crappy (in every sense of the word) Birthday but I can’t help but laugh at your shenanigans (isn’t that a great word??)

I’ve had to endure that age old phenomenon today. Example:
    Lee, you’ve lost so much weight now, you need to stop (turns to colleague doesn’t she Maria?) Maria nods quietly. All helpfully shouted across a busy ward.

Lee. You’ve lost so much weight, is it intentionally or are you ill? Do we need to worry about you?

Lee. You’ve lost so much weight since I last saw you. How much have you lost? Lee replies (about two stone) Yeah they say, and the rest. Are you ok?

Lee. Are you eating enough? You don’t look well. Is everything ok?

Lee. You need a cake. Go on, have a cake. It’s homemade.

All day people. Seriously all day!! Why do people feel that it’s appropriate to do that? I ended up leaving work early just to get away from the constant harassment!! May well work from home tomorrow….

On a positive note, beautiful size 14 dress arrived today (which I ordered for the funeral) and it fits like a dream. So yes people, it is worth it. The battle with carbs 🍞 πŸŽ‚ 🍟 and 🍷 is one worth doing. So well done to you all my comrades in arms!

Sorry to rant at you all, just had to get it off my chest!

L 😘

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Yay Lizzie, welcome back. Poor you having such a rough time. You do have a way of explaining things that is so refreshing, and I love reading about everything that happens to you.

Lee, when I was 30 I decided to lose the one and a half stone I had gained, and got to my pre-baby weight. Everyone told me I was gaunt and had gone too far. It was no good reminding them that I was back at “normal” weight. There are always nay-sayers and they get my back up. I did find however, the last time this happened to me (which was a very long time ago). When asked have you lost weight…I said yes isn’t it fantastic I feel so much better now….then they can’t give you their negative shit! Just bask in the knowledge that you have a size 14 dress that fits fantastically well. We know how great you are, so sod them if they don’t.

Love Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Bigeater, well done for being in control. I am not ready to take that step yet, but I am confident I will eventually. I love strawberries and cream, but alas, they don’t love me. So if you would….pick the biggest juiciest strawberry and as you eat it, savour it and think, this is for Mary ….cheers.

on

Good tactic Mary!

Mmm, strawberries and cream. That’s going on my shopping list!

on

Off sick today. πŸ˜₯🀒
    Nausea mostly but dizzy too, so worried my electrolyte levels have gone off again (test tomorrow)

I hate taking time off sick. Always feel guilty (though I’m never made to feel that by senior management) but today I have a free diary and can work from home, so it seems sensible.

Hope you are all having a better day.

L xxx

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Hello again you wonderful, strong and amazing bunch of loveliness.
    Apologies for not posting for a long while. I have been lurking in the background whilst berating myself for my daily ‘ let’s start again’ followed by my usual ‘ hoovering up’ as much food as I can. Whilst I don’t really drink alcohol (hope you don’t mind me nestling amongst you all) I do know that I have an unhealthy relationship with food. It ‘feeds’ my moods, whether I am feeling happy or sad and even though I know that this ‘feeding’ only provides short term satisfaction, I still do it. Does anyone else find themselves scowering the cupboards for anything that will satisfy momentous carb induced scoffs? What is that on about?
    On a positive note, I know that I can get my head around this and reading your posts about how you have faced demons and dilemmas with such strength, determination and self-belief has inspired me to be more like all of you.
    Ultimately, I know it is all about self- belief and worth. Maybe that’s where I need to start.
    So, I’m going to go for it. I going to believe in myself, as I believe that all of you will succeeed, and, if I have a blip, I’m going to continue to believe in myself and not self-destruct. All of you have given me that strength, and I thank you all for that, and, when I am stronger, I will give it all back to you too.
    Hope you all have a good day. (Sorry to hear that you are unwell Lee.)
    M x

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi there OiMadam, we are all addicts here, whether it be food, alcohol, or anything else.

I have just done a week! Yes a week! without any wine! I have lost a total of 6 lbs which is amazing for me as I don’t move very much, although having my 3 year old grandson and his one year old sister, is very energetic.

I want to congratulate myself, and everyone who has just got through the week. One down, many to go. I read a lot of the threads on this forum and have to remind myself this is a whole life change, not just a one off.

Sorry you are not up to scratch Lee, hope you recover quickly.

Lets keep the faith ladies. You are wonderful.

Love Mary
    xxxx

on

Good for you Mary, πŸ‘πŸ’πŸ™Œ don’t forget to also measure yourself, inches count as well.

Hi OiMadam and welcome. As Mary (Joes Nonna) said we are all battling addictions. Have you read the book? I downloaded an e-version for less than Β£3 and whilst I don’t follow the menus I follow the principals. There is a bit in there about cortisol, the stress hormone and how it stimulates the liver to release more sugar into your blood. I quote “When you feel stressed you are more likely to give into carb cravings and comfort eating”. I was a classic stress/comfort eater and binge drinker but I am not that person any more. Cutting out refined carbs will have a knock on effect on your cravings, as will decent food. Water is your friend, as is exercise. I am in no shape to run (nor would I as it is bad for the face and boobs in my opinion) but I do stretches and lift small weights at home and go for walks, I also do seated exercises for the obese and infirm (launchpad series on YouTube, he does witter on a bit but you can always listen to music). Water is your friend, you need to drink more than you think and get an app if possible. A lot of us use Fat Secret (and we all hate the name!). The beauty of the BSD is it really makes you think of how you can get the best out of 800 calories. I eat the same thing every day at the same time as I find variety makes me want to eat more and once a week I have lunch out. I am eating 5 portions of veg/1 of fruit (tomatoes) a day which is more that I ever did on LCHF. I consume no added sugars or sweeteners, the sugars are naturally in the vegetables. Have I mentioned that I started this WOE with a raging hangover!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Oh Liz yet again eating my breakfast with tears running down my face. Your ear for dialogue is superb. I am sorry that the birthday trip was so uncomfortable but as ever you turn it into gold.
    Lee this is jealousy, pure and simple. Take it as a strange twisted compliment that you are looking fabulous! You are certainly unsettling them. Hope you are feeling better.
    Made that cauliflower soup last night absolutely gorgeous
    Had two AFDS!!!!!
    This mainly due to me tweaking my back and being totally unable to sleep. I can walk stand sit etc but cannot lie down so could not sleep for the last two nights.
    Any way been to the chiropractor who caused strange clicking noises in my spine and found a couple of spots in my back that made me squeal like a pig but much better now!

on

Day 11.

Went over my 800 calories today, but only by 124, still on track for a monthly average of under 800 calories and that is what counts.

I was really, really hungry and instead of coming and going in waves it was consistent for hours so I added cheese to my tea. Notice that I haven’t used this to think “fuck it, crisps and dip and booze here I come”. Believe me the old me would have used any excuse to binge.

This WOE really does make you think.

FFBB

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done FFBB…I know exactly what you are saying. I am suprising myself at the moment. Many times I have thought, I would normally have a drink after this happens…but managed to deny myself. Let’s lean on each other and not drink.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi all –
    Mary thanks for your good wishes – glad to hear you are doing so well – Verano gave me some good advice today – a step at a time! I can really see the sense in that. Keep going – we will get there! Loved your story about OH – I wasn’t sure if I should have been laughing it must have so worrying for you at the time. I would probably have taken umbrage at everybody thinking being cuddly means you can’t indulge. As I say to my OH – at least you don’t have cuts from my bones (Actually, I don’t think I have any πŸ˜€ )

Snoop – good to hear your back story – interesting to see where everybody is coming from with the same destination.

Oimadam – welcome – your story sounds very familiar – let’s do this together!

Menstrual Liz – I am counting on you to give me my daily fix – getting my laugh out loud sessions is a must if I am to succeed – it’s all in your hands!

Everybody else – love reading about your lives – shows it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom.

I’m aiming to be in bed for 10 sleeping for 11 – apparently lack of sleep makes you gain weight! Hormones, etc! So, I better pootle off.

Good luck

Stilldumpty

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Back already – Verano’s post on ‘100 club!’ helped me put things in perspective. Worth a read.

Night night!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Dumpty, I agree with Verano. I write everything down, good or bad…it helps. I also dont think about how much I have to lose as it is at least 100 pounds. Too big to contemplate, so I am doing this for 8 weeks to see how much I can get rid of. I also have an underactive thyroid which slows everything down, and I need to move more to use up calories. I just tackle each day as it comes. I used to say…oh its Tuesday, I will have a drink and start tomorrow. But there is always a tomorrow.

We can do this. I am rooting for you, Go Dumptynomore!
    Love Mary
    xxxx

• posted by EC
    on

Hi everyone

great to hear everyone is doing so well congratulations on motivation, weight loss and, well, being generally marvellous ….and Liz AND Lee hope you’re feeling well again soon
    spent all day travelling yesterday…even managed to have a healthy/low cal lunch at the airport in Sydney (Hobart airport food is dreadful!) and resisted my urge to have a drink at the airport which is normally a bit of a ritual….but failed to resist with my dear friend last night…I’m OK with it as I’m only just over calorie wise (the alcohol hits earlier/harder with not much food on board!!) and I will be easy on myself while away as I don’t see this as being just for eight weeks….thank goodness for all of you to keep me motivated….thank you thank you!
    Dumpty…I slept for over 10 hours last night…can’t remember the last time that happened
    I’m going to try to take the mindfullness stuff on board this week

Australia is such a crazy country…left home (I know I’m ALWAYS going on about the weather….its a Tasmanian obsession!!) in 2-3 degree temps and alighted in Nth NSW in the afternoon to 22!

Shopping this morning for all my “good” foods (luckily my friend is always happy to let me commandeer her kitchen) The weekend may be a little harder as we’ll be at an event an probably eating out most of the time……but my cortisol will be low as I’ll be having fun!!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Yay Mary and FFB! Proud of you!
    Have a great time away EC, enjoy those warmer temps. I’m in the Southern Highlands and it’s FREEZING today!
    Lee and Liz, are you on the mend?
    OiMadam, you are in safe hands here!! It’s a great group and I’ve never laughed so much!
    Hi dumpty and madmare, hope today has gone well for you.
    I’ve done well food wise and just have to get through till bedtime…..

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Thank you so much everyone. Managed to take on board everyone’s comment and had a great day yesterday. Feeling much better about myself. Wishing you all a good day. X

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi Inka13, Leelee, CanadaLiz et al,

Been loving the posts. Inka13, it was the wind that made it cold yesterday. I’m at Sturt doing the winter school and finding it hard to resist morning tea, dessert etc. Eating massive quantities of greens, but slid with morning tea today and dessert on both Monday and Tuesday.

With food prepared, it is easy to lose control of the portions as well. I find I am eating more, and eating whether or not I am hungry at the specified meal time in case I get hungry later and jump in the car to find a McDonalds. Also eating a good breakfast in the hope that it will carry me past temptation at morning tea. But the chocolate brownies this morning, oh yum.

I find I am so scared of feeling hungry. It’s visceral, this fear. If I come back for another winter school I might have to stay outside the school and organise my own food to manage portion size and content.

My addiction is food. Can’t stop at one of anything. Unfortunately, unlike alcohol, it’s not something that one can give up altogether. And I love food. It’s interesting, I like cooking it and I like feeding people. It’s also something at which I seem to be reasonably good so I also love the praise that comes with it. I love finishing a batch of sourdough croissants early in the morning and taking them to work still warm. They are not hard to make, it’s just a process over a couple of days.

BUT, I haven’t had any root vegies, only the one slice of bread as toast at breakfast, and apart from the nibbles and wine on Monday evening, no extra food/wine. Consolation is that one has to walk from the accommodation to the dining hall and then up over the hill to the workshop, then back again for lunch, and dinner. So quite a bit more exercise. I can do it in the cold morning air without needing a puff of ventolin for the asthma. That has to be a bit of a win.

Will weigh on Monday morning and start the 8 weeks over again, but with more exercise this time. I lost muscle as well as fat on the first 8 weeks.

Thanks for letting me confess …

on

Morning all!
    Currently sat in the doctors surgery waiting to be stabbed yet again and enjoying reading your posts.

Crabbycams, I know how tough it is at these type of conferences and like you say, food is the one thing none of us can avoid…but oh the food at these things are a temptation too far at times.

Interestingly. I took my father to the skin specialist last night. He used to be our gp and about 10 years ago he told me that the only way for fat people to lose weight was to have weight loss surgery. He did and I remember seeing him about 6 months later and he had lost at least 7 stone! Fast forward 10 years and last night I could see he had gained it all back (and some) while the tortoise (me) was a normal weight. It just goes to show there is no quick fix. While surgery may work for some people (it did for my friend) you still have to change the way you think about food and lifestyle. And that’s what we are doing here!

I’m next, so will be back later xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Crabbycams! It’s bizarre to think you are just down the road! I’m deeply envious though, bet the Sturt winter school is great! What are you doing there? And don’t worry too much about the odd slide, it sounds like you are balancing everything out all round. AND it’s really cold so your body is probably begging for extra fuel. Are you staying nearby?
    My food intake has been super good today but I have ruined it all with a couple of drinks πŸ™ˆ With peanuts πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
    Oh well. Tomorrow is another etc. etc.
    Lee, you ARE the tortoise and the hare then! I hope he took a good look! Well done and hope all went well with your dad, and that your results are good too.

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Yes Inka13, it is bizarre to think that we are so close geographically. I’m doing a jewellery course on etching and enamelling. I have very dirty fingers right now despite much washing from messing about with metal for three days. And I’ve just booked and paid today for another 5-day workshop on another form of enamelling to be held in Canberra in September. Haven’t told the boss yet of course!

Thanks Leelee and everyone for the encouragement. I’ll be joining in the forum for anyone starting another round from next week as well as this one. The goal is to get into the normal range for fat to rest of body ratio at the next dexascan. That will be at the end of August so I will have done 6-7 weeks of Fast8. Also that’s when the next bloods are due.

Onward and downward.

on

Part 2!
    So all stabbed by someone who is obviously unhappy in her job and took it out on my veins!
    3 days for the result but I’m guessing that if there is anything acute, I will hear quite soon.

Have taken today off as well as still don’t feel right but having had some brekkie and a lay down with a book I feel much better.

Inka, I felt sorry for the doc. He is a genuinely lovely man who always treated the patient with what is best for them and not what government guidelines say. Imagine going through such major surgery which must have been scary, only to end up back where he started.

Oimadam, well done on taking the positive vibes from here. I find these lot so inspiring!

FFBB, I went above 800 whenever I felt my body needed it. I will today as well but I do tend to stick around 1000 on those days. It may have slowed my journey but it has made it sustainable for me. So do what works for you. Nowt wrong with being a tortoise like me….

Dumpty, sleeping sounds good to me. I shall nap today πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ Verano is right, it really is one step at a time.

Mary. I’m soooo delighted and proud of you (if that doesn’t sound patronising) 6lbs is fantastic but an alcohol free week on top of that deserves a little dance around our herbal tea β˜•οΈ

Madmare, I hope your back is improving. That sounds rough as.

Just chilling out with supersize me dvd. Saw it years ago but the results still shock me and will keep me on the right path. I absolutely do not fancy a burger πŸ”. Not at all… much….

Nope, not cured yet it seems… 😳😈

L xxx

on

Oh and my “friend” (who knows I am going sugar free) made me 10 pieces of homemade millionaire shortbread.

How kind….πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜‘ talk about sabotage. My father is enjoying them though….

L 😘

on

Lee, as the saying goes “with friends like those…….” Glad your dad is enjoying them.

on

Had an unscheduled lunch out so I had my usual proper roast ham and 2 fried eggs. I had to guess the weight of the ham as I don’t carry my scale. It was a very generous portion so 200 g seems appropriate. I could have asked them to weigh it but they are not that accommodating.

Finally “came out” to my mum that I was doing the BSD 800 cals for 8 weeks. She wasn’t impressed….at first. I listened to the 5 minute lecture as to how it was too low calorie, that she was worried I’d become unhealthy(!!!) and that quick weight loss never stays off, etc.

When she had finished I explained that I wanted to kick start my weight loss and referred her to the book and website and went into the diet fully. I also stated how many more vegetables and nutrients I was eating. I told her I had quit drinking for the 8 weeks as well, I was sleeping better, my IBS was better and that I was nearing the end of my 2nd week already (to which she replied “that explains why last week your trolley contained the healthiest and most colourful groceries I have ever seen you buy”).

We came to the agreement that if I become faint or my mood becomes low and I feel “the black dog” coming (I have a history of depression) I will increase the calories to 1200 – 1500 per day and slow down.

She is now fully on board.

FFBB X

Please log in or register to post a reply.