New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh, and I will not be needing the BRIGHT ORANGE seat belt extension on the plane, like last time, 2 years ago!! Why bright orange?!

Kxx

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

Hi all
    I read and lurk don’t post often but felt I should speak up to Liz. Sorry to hear what you are going thru, used to work in a breast unit so I know , from my patients, what you face- keep your head up and you will get thru all the treatments, might take a year but a day at a time and you can do it, you are one strong woman.
    Vent or weep here when you need to, there will be up days and down, fingers x for you, Sue

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

Did anyone see the diet on the lose weight well programme? They put a male on it for six weeks, he lost and planned to continue

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh Liz. How wonderful to see you back. So sorry for your news. The big C is shit, but if anyone can get through this you can. You may feel at the moment that you’re at the bottom but you’ll gradually find your way back up and we’ll all be here linking arms and any one of us is a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and the queue’s a mile long to come and get a cup of tea in your kitchen. What I’m trying to say in my clumsy way is we’re all here for you anytime and you’re not on your own. Read back some of your posts from 1st June last year and see the person you are. She’s still there inside.

I didn’t join this forum til after you stopped posting ( no connection, honest) but I read right from the start. Laughed and cried with you. Cheered you on and I feel as though I know you. Sending you lots of healing hugs. “Take some courage, a friend and one step at a time”
    Love Tilly x

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lizzie, all my love. I am here and everywhere if you want me.

Kazz, that sounds like a goal to me. I have never seen the seat belt extender, I just squeezed my considerable bulk into the belt and had it dig in to me for a couple of hours.

Suoon2bthinner, I did see the tail end of that programme and he only lost 16 pounds in four months. He really couldn’t have been doing it right! However, a loss is a loss and he was happy.

Later peeps,

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Liz I posted here regularly last year and fell away when my mother died. I also fell away from this WOE over Christmas and have not managed to get back on the wagon yet. I have lurked daily here and caught up with everyone so was delighted to see your post. Not so delighted to hear your news. Cancer is a fucking bastard but you are a strong person- that has been evident from day one on this thread. Keep your chin up your chest out and give that fucker hell. You can do this. Your army is behind you sending you love light healing and strength every day.

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Sorry everyone else- forgot to say hi and well done to all of you for continuing. Proud of all of your success and like I say I have lurked but not posted so have been following your journeys frustrations successes and ups and downs. You are all amazing xxx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Canadaliz, I’m not a poster on this thread, usually, but catch up via the recent posts. Your name was a welcome sight, but your news was sobering. Could see the “you” we know and admire shining through your sadness. I wish you well in your difficult journey. πŸ™…πŸ’œ

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Well, Kev has another MRI on his heart on the 11th (a Sunday but they run 24/7–ours is at 2:30am!) He has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease and we are awaiting a lung biopsy to narrow it down. Praying it isn’t Pulmonary Fibrosis. As for me, I’ll just go on zombie mode and soldier on through. Right now I’m just focusing on power nutrition to see me into surgery and help with healing. On Monday the surgeon showed me pictures of what my scar placement will be then assured me that I could get 3-D nipples tattooed on….I’m getting daisies. Fuck nipple tattoos! Truthfully, I just want the day to come when someone says “Hey Liz, what’s new” and I get to bellow……”FUCKING NOTHING!!!”
    Much love, Liz

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Lizzie you are so AMAZING!! Why stop at daisies…I would have serpents coiling or maybe a dragon. Much love my friend. xxx

Mary
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

oh, this funny life

Today 1st of the month after my hectic summer, I resolved to reconvene on BSD and the forum….I also was walking home with the dog and determined to go back through this thread to find where my memory tells me that C Liz once posted an email. address…I was about to search and find and make sure that you were OK…and here you are m’dear!!
    yes, limping and with shit news, I’m SO sorry to hear….but remember how much better both your prognosis and recovery will be after those months of no alcohol (and better food)
    Love to you and Kev…and lets hope that future tests will show results as positive as possible with everything…..there are so many of us here that have your back f that counts (sure hope it does)

You too Lee…bloody ageing bodies throwing us curlies!….even a benign tumour is a bugger!

Mary, you on the other hand are being rewarded for your constant resolve….so deserved! good onya (mate)!! (as we Aussies say)

I’ve just made it out into my garden for the first time in months and come back with the bounty of a small bucket of blackcurrants and new potatoes and a huge box of ripe plums….god knows what I’m to do with them all…the plum tree is still dripping with fruit and I still have plum sauce in the pantry and stewed plums in the freezer from the last two seasons….then there are two apple and one pear tree also laden with fruit (but thankfully not ripe for a couple of months!!) We’ve also had the occasional tiger snake lurking this summer …..you have to be careful in the suburbs down here….ALL Tasmanian snakes are venomous!!

While I’m enjoying the summer salads, I actually think I found this diet easier in winter (mainly because I LOVE soups…and there were so many great low calorie ones in our repertoire)

Anyhow…I’m back, accountable and happy to rejoin you all in sickness and in health!!!

much love
    Erin

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Oh Canadaliz, our true north, this fucking life indeed. Since 27th May 2017 I have laughed and cried over your trials and tribulations and those of your mΓ¨rry band…liz’s army indeed and proud to be there even as a lurker. Tough times for you and yours but I am so pleased you’re still off Satan’s piss. That in itself will help you on your journey. There’s a bunch of us here thinking of you, all best wishes

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Hello dear comrades in arms, hello to all old faces, and a big hello to the new!
    I am sorry I have not been reading posts on email, so I will do a read back when I get a chance.
    I was temporarily detoured from this Way of life/ eating. By life and excuses and then Satan’s piss crept in late December, and undid much of my great dedication and commitment.So the vile Satan’s piss crept in by stealth, then once I noticed the daily presence I looked away, pretending it wasn’t , and I started making damned ridiculous excuses to myself. I would eat well all day, then may as well have upended the fridge, and/or pantry down my throat.

I am back now. I am struggling on a number of levels, but I am worth it.
    My step brother sent me a link to an inspirational Ted talk Dr Brune Brown- on YouTube the topic was Vulnerability, and another on Shame… great stuff. It really resonated, and some of you might like it too.

That was my turning point 2 days ago, after listening to her talk.
    That took me back to BSD… and made myself be accountable.
    There is booze in the house, but this is day 2 back into this way of life.
    No booze for me. If I do have some it will be a strict 1 glass celebrate thing. That is NOT going to be for a while.

Back in 2017 when I first joined up and started eventually on the forums, for the first week I would write in pen on the back of my hand “Liz”. I started this again on 31/01/2018- this time it is not pen, it is written only metaphorically across my hand. In my wallet, in my work diary. And ironically CanadaLiz to who I refer in this encouraging imagery has brought me great inspiration, shown bravery courage, wit, despair, darkness and light. I do not moan now for me and my plight, but I am one of the many followers, who found your guiding light in the dark where it was before that only shadows. You offered a no nonsense safe , warm dry hearth, a lovely cosy home and plentiful vats of tea. A place to be and to be seen as in truly seen, accepted, known. If that makes sense .This my dear has meant so much to me. I truly am sorry to hear of the time you have been having, and the tricky journey ahead. You may not feel it, you may not see it, but you are one hell of a tough bird. Your army are all behind, beside and with you and Kev, in our thankful hearts, and grateful minds.

I have laughed hysterically at times at the posts and musings of this our linked armed army, cried, sobbed, worried and felt sheer joy, happiness and delight for the trials and tribulations.
    I just hope that I can offer just some of that strength and support back, to my sisters and brothers in this thing life.
    Well then enough rambling on.
    Love to you all, wishing you and yours all, increasingly better health, victories on off the scales, and a small moment of joy in this coming day. Must away, my mug of tea is again cold, and bed is beckoning. Night / morning/ arv all.

Searching rockpools now in depth, beyond the shadows. XXXXOOOO

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I would like to say a huge WELCOME BACK, to my lovely long missed comrades. Our Lizzie needs us more than ever and it is time to repay her for the strength she gave us.

I don’t care where you have been or what you have been doing, you are back among us now and we love you. Don’t stay away again.

All my love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Oh searchingrickpools, what a heartfelt post. Made me fill up! I wholeheartedly agree with your views on our Liz. We all need each other and we are all here for each other. We wish Liz and Kev the courage needed to face whatever is to come and we are all dying for a cup of tea in Liz’s warm and cosy kitchen but we will wait until we’re invited and don’t want want to intrude, but we’re here as a huge safety net like a big warm hug.

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping going if the going is tough. Keep on keeping on and it will get better and always remember life is for living and Shit happens! Take a deep breath and turn over a new page and start again on a nice clean new page x

Tilly x

• posted by Pancita
    on

Another long-time lurker here, we’re all popping out of the woodwork now.
    Sending love and tea to Liz and all the army xx

Horrible news for you Liz, wishing you continued strength in dealing with the sh1t that life has chucked at you.

P xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Oh Liz, I’m so sorry to hear about the cancer and your mum, really proud of you for your abstinence, you are truely amazing and even through your terrible news you still managed to make me chuckle at ‘lady balls’!! Along with all your army, I’m sending love and support your way, in bucket loads. We have all been thinking of you all this time and it is a relief and a pleasure to see your name again on this forum.
    Timely too, as I am trying mightily to go alcohol-free as much as possible from now on so your iron will is a huge inspiration!
    Much love,
    Inka

• posted by Inka13
    on

PS thanks Kazz and great news on no bright orange extenders for you!!
    Hi to all you other lovelies on this thread and it’s so nice to see it reactivaing so much, have really needed a good dose of all your news to keep me motivated so thank you all! Xx

• posted by solange
    on

Oh Liz it’s so good to see you and am wishing all the best for you and Kev. The C word is so scary, I remember when we were first told. My husband is going strong at 76 despite cancer getting him twice (colon then liver) he survived 2 ops, chemo and radiotherapy so there is light at the end. You sound strong and although It is hard I know stay positive.

I am a lurker! Just read your first post again. You are amazing. I am here to follow and wishing all comes good for you from the bottom of my heart.
    Bev xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sorry ladies to use your thread as a message board. Kazzi, my laptop will be back by 5:00pm., with skype installed πŸ™‚
    Please check your email tonight. Tomorrow may be the day when I have the pleasure of “revealing all” at long last!!!
    Later, my sweet…..

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie, now that is music to my ears! See u tmrw! After you’ve tidied the apartment top to bottom just in case I look behind you! Lol!

Well guys, another stay the same this week. It’s all fine. I overdid the cheese 2days on the trot and still haven’t got back into the routine of weighing and counting. However, I’ve cracked maintenance! But time to knuckle down now. I have a goal to lose 30 lbs between now and 12 April. I haven’t told my sister that I’ve lost any weight. I want to surprise her.

How’s everyone else doing?

Kazzee xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes Kazz, tomorrow! Now, the question is, can I get plastic surgery done before then and now???

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie, I’m contemplating what to wear! Haha. Wysiwyg! Xx

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Greetings all
    That sounds so exciting Allie and Kazz, getting to finally “meet” visually, your minds and souls met a long time ago.

Nonna Mary. I must congratulate on the recent birthday, but more importantly on your achievement at soldiering on and losing the weight and centimetres. And all those clothes that can go to good will/ charity, that you will never need again!

For the people newer to this thread, Hello pleased to meet you!

I have good news, in the days I have returned to a more committed version of BSD, despite aiming for 800cal daily my best was 1100, however in saying that I have still managed to go from 94.8kg/ 208.9lbs ( am 31/01/18) to 91.0 kg or 200lbs this morning! Hoping it does not all rebound in coming days. I have kept the water up, with lime wedges and ginger shards in my water bottle. No satan’s piss. devils ale, grog, booze etc since 30/01/18, and counting.
    With my friends on Tuesday at the pub, I’ll have soda water and lime.

I’m not ready for the extended (or any) fasting yet. I think it is easier once I get the daily calories down to sub 800, then I will have another crack at it, once my hunger has abated.
    Currently I just feel hungry all the time, but it is a lie, it is emotional eating, so I am managing that by having a plate of undressed salad leaves with some hot chilli (unsweetened) sauce. Satisfies the crunch, the chewing, and sense of something substantial. Without being calorically dense. I just had that for my brunch 140 ish cals.

Don’t know why… that choice, but I figure better than what I am craving which is toast with butter and peanut paste/ butter. Which is crazy because I don’t even like bread unless it is fresh crusty Italian loaf slathered in butter then… oh so help me!

I’m also weighing and recording every single thing that passes my lips, to get me back into being strict and habituated to being accountable. If it is written down ( well typed on Calorie King) it gives me a visual prompt and record. If I have to record I am less likely to open my mouth and eat it.

I have not exercised, the weather is warm here at the moment with high humidity. That of course is just an excuse… it’s cos I feel fat and highly unmotivated, I will get back in the swing of things soon. I return to work tomorrow after 3 1/2 weeks of summer school holidays.
    Not looking forward to having to get back into it in one sense, but it does keep me too busy to think of, my hunger or food and I get paid to go there, and be in the air conditioning, saving my own power bill!

On another note completely. What is the general consensus on kombucha as in the retail version? I have found one using stevia and 7 cals per 100mls. Should I give this a wide berth or ? Ideas welcome.

OK I’m off now to ramp up my Sunday, and get some chores done before I’m back in the thick of it!

Have a great Sunday all,
    chat soon.

Searching rockpools (determinedly). xxxxxxxoooooooo

• posted by KazzUK
    on

SRP – we’ll done on getting back on track! That’s an awesome loss! On the kombucha question, I had to google it and found this link .. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-kombucha. Nonna Mary, Allie and Esnecca are knowledgeable about fermentation. It does seem to rely on sugar for the process and the version you have containing stevia, I just don’t know…. except to say I have learnt that artificial sweeteners can cause the same BSL spikes as sugar. The jury seems to be out on whether stevia is slightly better than other artificial sweeteners. I think from what I’ve read about stevia, I would stick to the infused water or home made iced tea to drink and kimchi or sourkraut, kefir for fermentation/probiotics.

Kazzee xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh and I meant to say in my earlier post, that I did manage alternate 18/6 or 23/1 fasting days last week, just didn’t weigh or count cals. I find it very easy doing that during the working week, despite there being a large box of very luxurious white Belgium truffle chocolates on the fat station! Wasn’t tempted actually as they smelt so sweet! I can smell sweetness in tea and coffee also! My work mates think I’m most odd!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi SRP (d),
    Well done on getting back in the saddle and good luck continuing the journey.
    ‘re kombucha I leave that to others but on a general note all I’ve read encourages avoiding any sweetener …..even Stevia.
    For myself, CL has both inspired and chastened me…I have been eating well, then drinking the same amount of calories in devil’s piss and calling it ‘stress drinking. Daft but true but it’s over now. i have ‘gotten with the programme’ certainly where drink is concerned. As a result have dropped 6lbs since 31st Jan and I know it’s likely water..but it has to go before the fat does so I am happy with that..stll sitting at 105kg (16 st 7) so ways to travel but i’m hitched up and aiming to catch you up. Nonna Mary you too inspire me..koko and mfodaat! Many thanks to all the good folk on this journey, atb T57.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi SRP (d),
    Well done on getting back in the saddle and good luck continuing the journey.
    ‘re kombucha I leave that to others but on a general note all I’ve read encourages avoiding any sweetener …..even Stevia.
    For myself, CL has both inspired and chastened me…I have been eating well, then drinking the same amount of calories in devil’s piss and calling it ‘stress drinking’. Daft but true but it’s over now. i have ‘gotten with the programme’ certainly where drink is concerned. As a result have dropped 6lbs since 31st Jan and I know it’s likely water..but it has to go before the fat does so I am happy with that..stll sitting at 105kg (16 st 7) so ways to travel but i’m hitched up and aiming to catch you up. Nonna Mary you too inspire me..koko and mfodaat! Many thanks to all the good folk on this journey, atb T57.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello everyone.

It is so lovely to see everyone on here. SRP, I am glad you are back. Ok So you have been drinking…cut it right back and out if you can. You and I both know it doesn’t do you any good. It is a quick fix, a plaster (elastoplast) if you will, not a solution. (Get me…sounds deep dunnit?) I am dry at the moment and everytime I think about it (and I do frequently), I tell myself it wont help with the weight loss and wont do my liver any good. Then I have some fizzy water. I also keep Cadburys Mini Eggs in the fridge for my grandchildren. If I really, really, really, find satans piss calling, I either smell the packet (not weird in your own home!) or (dan dan daaaan) I eat one. Just one! Then I feel like I have been a bit naughty but it has saved me from far worse. I am not a chocolate lover so it is easy for me!

Towanda57, come catch me! I love a good game of chase! The above about booze goes for everyone. Well done on becoming dry. I am not saying you should never drink again…but why work so hard and then self harm. We are all insane. It took me a while to work it out. Heed the advice of this old un.

I think Kombucha is a kind of tea, and from what I read it was a bit fernickety. I also don’t like any man made sweeteners. I know Stevia is from a plant, but so is Hemlock. I avoid all sweeteners, but that is just my opinion. I make Kimchi and it is lovely. I am going to try some sauerkraut soon. These are easier to make and keep in the fridge.

CanadaLiz, my love and strength is crossing the water to you. You are an inspiration to all of us…time for a cuppa I think. Stay strong.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh and I meant to say….BLOODY WELL DONE ON LOSING SO MUCH SO QUICKLY. That never happens for me!

Keep going.

Nonna Mary
    (quick chase me!)

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy to see you, SRP!

Kazzi, update. J worked on skype 2 hrs today, then went off to work, leaving me with a computer that is NOW non
    functioning at all. Back to the repair shop tomorrow. No email until then. This has been a complete comedy of
    errors that has consumed the weekend! Otherwise known as a farce. More to follow…

Sorry, all!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Fingers crossed, Allie! Xx

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hey all, I’m back (along with some old faces I see! Fab to have you back!) will be catching up with your posts when jet lag finally does one!

My darling Liz, so good to β€œsee” you but so sad to hear your news. I have every faith that you will beat this. You are actually in so much better shape both mentally and physically than this time last year and that can only help. Much love and as many helping hands as you can tolerate from your friends and comrades. We’ve got your back (kev’s too)

Back from Tobago with an extra 5lbs 😱😱. I will admit, I indulged with two frozen mudslides over the week and bread daily, so it is deserved! Back on the wagon today with a prawn and avocado salad for lunch, trying to mitigate before my trip back to Galway on Sunday for my aunts 90th on Tuesday. Once that’s out of the way, I shall knuckle down with another 800 calorie cycle until Easter. Now have a stone to loose all over again 😒😒

Onwards and upwards (or downwards!)

L xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Lee, welcome back. Hope you had a fab holiday, sounds like it! You are in control and you’ll soon drop the 5 lbs. πŸ™‚

Everyone else ok?

Kazzee xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Welcome back Leelee…I saw your pictures. Wow…what an amazing place. I hope you are fully rested. Take care.

Kazzee, I am still here. I have had the lurgy (again!, 4th time this winter) and don’t like to moan when other people have so much worse going on. I haven’t been able to do very much, and have just managed to count calories (but not too strictly). Jovis thinks the scales have gone down by one pound, but I am not sure. I just want to get under 15 now! Maybe I will have a whoosh.

I have waited to see the Doctor, thinking it may be a virus. However, a week on and I am getting worse. My darling Jovis went to the Surgery at 8 this morning to book an appointment. He had to tell the receptionist what was wrong with me. The result is a triage phone call between 9;30 and 10. My argument about this system of appointments is….I have been up most of the night coughing….I then have to get up early to try and be seen….then I am told I have to wait for a phone call …when I could be catching up on much needed sleep. I need to change my surgery!

EC and SRP, it was lovely to hear from you again and you Heather44 plus the other. Please don’t be strangers. We miss your input.

Take care everyone.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Mary, I’m feeling your frustration today! It seems like it is time for a determination to be made as to whether
    this is viral or bacterial. I know that you would worry about passing it on to the grandies. I don’t understand why
    you just weren’t given an appointment when jovis showed up at 8;00am., instead of having to go through all of
    these middlemen! You need to get started on some treatment, ASAP. Hang in there πŸ™‚ Rest and fluids, etc.
    I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thanks Allie. Doctor phoned and asked me to attend the surgery. Was surprised at how red and swollen my throat is. Also the glands in my neck are swollen too. She told me I am sick lol… so the result is antibiotics. 2 four times a day! Hopefully the lurgy will be lifted and I will feel stronger tomorrow.

Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s good news, Mary..Happy that they were able to see you in the surgery, today! You may not want to eat
    kimchi with a raw throat, but think about kefir or yogurt. Antibiotics wreak havoc with the gut biome,
    and kill off the good bacteria residing there πŸ™‚ Feel better soon!!!

xxx
    Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, need a bit of inspiration from you this morning. I am feeling some anxiety about an upcoming trip at the end of the month. My younger brother (at age 63) is having a shoulder joint replacement surgery. Like me he is divorced and lives alone, so we find ourselves being each others support system.

This means two round trips to PGH to be there and bring him back to my place for recovery, and a return trip to get him home again and make sure he is doing well on his own before leaving.

I am having some anxiety about staying on BSD over both the travel and the lack of complete control over meals etc.

I don’t know how you managed when your husband was going through all he did. Stress and lack of a dependable schedule would have given me every excuse in the book to grab whatever was easiest, and upping the stress snacking as well.

The most pathetic part of it all is that I feel (as so many BSDers do) that pretty significant water intake is vital to ongoing weight loss…..and I am stressing over the concern about rest room availability. At 67 my bladder capacity aint what she used to be. It is sooooo much easier to lose this weight as a new retired woman at home most of the time…..bathroom steps away 24/7.

Driving up to PGH on the antiquated PA Turnpike with its sad paucity of rest stops is always a concern. Drinking lot of water keeps me from eating. Rest stops that are few and far (and I mean FAR) between makes drinking water more difficult.

And in my head I am already starting to make up excuses as to why I should relax my 2 meals a day and 800 calories while supporting my brother through his surgery and post op. It will be a long day….leaving home in very early am to get to hospital for preop ….and then all the waiting.

Hospital cafeterias are not known for their great choices (especially outside of the routine meal times). This is actually a second surgery on that shoulder….a redo from a partial 3 years ago that now needs to be converted to a full joint replacement. On the last one, apples and smeared with peanut butter was my go to. I remember bugers, subs and pizza by the slice being the main offerings. Managed to dodge all that….but am a bit concerned about this go. I know I need to take a bit of my advise about packing some things ahead and damn the expense I guess (brother is not a cook and will have zilch at his house when I arrive….must buy whatever I need and tote it up there when I go). He should have some eggs….can do some hardboiled eggs. Will be staying at a hotel post surgery, which actually makes it a bit easier (again, back to my comfort with being in control. Hot water for coffee or tea at fingertips, ready bathroom).

It is funny…..I have this anxiety about not having food when I need it, but yet routinely do 3 day fasts with nary a blink of an eye. Its the thought that food is just steps away when I am at home that reduces the anxiety and allows me to do without. Not having 100% control is another matter altogeher. Maybe I just need to overpack food for the trip and for the hospital wait….and then just not eat it. Having it nearby may be the answer….and then exercise some control to not need it after all. The head games we play with ourselves.

However did you manage?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Luv! We are who we are, I’m a world class control freak too. I would be doing the same as you, trying to get on top
    of my anxiety by doing as much advance planning as possible, and breaking all the time away from home into segments.
    We can and WILL find strategies for each set of circumstances! Let’s take this in 2 parts…First, how I navigated my
    way through it, and then we can think our way through the details….
    Everything in the cafeteria at Stamford Hospital was disgusting, inspite of it being a brand new facility with large
    private rooms for patient care. There was a privately operated take out facility in the hospital that sold fresh salads
    that could be augmented with grilled steak or chicken, with all sorts of healthy vegetables. They also had healthy
    breakfast items and Starbucks coffee and bottled water. They would bag this up so that I could put it in the refrig.
    on the floor and no one else would eat it if I marked the bag with J’s room number. Another thing that the hospital
    offered to patients was 1 complimentary meal a day for caregivers. I was able to get a not too disgusting omelet
    there. Not a single yogurt without fruit though, and forget about greek yogurt, the dieticians hadn’t heard of it!
    Water proved to be a big challenge, because the bottled water was 3/4 mi away, round trip from J’s room. The most
    I ever had time to drink was 3/12oz bottles a day. I don’t know if you ever caught my big “water post”, or if it was
    before you became a member of the community. The astounding realization was that after being away from
    home for 3 + weeks, missing meals here and there, and never having my full compliment of water, I could see
    that I’d lost weight. My first weigh in at home showed I hadn’t lost a lb.! After topping up to 3 liters a day x 2
    days at home, I weighed myself and I was down 10 lbs.! So for me, the fat burning was going on the entire time,
    but I needed the water to flush the fat.
    Are you making the 4 hr. trip to P. the same morning as your brother’s surgery? How many days do you expect
    him to remain in hospital? Some hotels have room upgrades where you can request a refrig. and if you tell them
    that you are caring for a patient, you may be able to get a reduced rate, if the hospital has an arrangement with
    them. “Social Services” at the hospital could help with that. Also ask when you are making your reservations.
    Next, I know how very intelligent you are, so why not google the locations for rest stops on the Pa. Tpke ? Maybe
    the distances aren’t as unmanageable as you remember.
    My mobility was excellent at that time of J’s hospitalization, I think I was only about 8 lbs from target. Are you
    able to do a lot of walking at this point? We need to take that into consideration, too, when we work on how to
    manage the food. I lost my fitbit on one of the many nights I spent in the hospital, but before that I was logging
    on to about 10 miles/day just to get food, water and visit the ring of shame, the smoking area.
    When you have time to answer, let’s work on the nitty gritty of food to get you through, next! I’ll be keeping an
    eye on this thread….You are strong, strong, strong LTC, and I know you can handle this πŸ™‚

Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, thanks for your quick response.

Will it surprise you that I have already printed out all the rest stops on the PA turnpike (as well as the I-70 leg in MD leading up to it)? Thinking if I strategically drink my water 30 min before the next rest stop, that the timing would work. I have made that trip many times and am always anxiously looking for the upcoming rest stop plaza sign. HUGE gaps in the middle of the state where the turnpike crosses the Alleghenies. Not flat place to put one. The gap between Bedford and Sommerset seems to take a lifetime.

It will be a 5-6 day trip. First 2 days are visiting my other brother and his wife who live about 1 1/2 hrs from the brother having surgery. They both have packed on a tremendous amount of weight over the last 10 years….so hoping to dazzle them with my 50 lb loss and hoping they might be receptive to BSD. Taking a low carb marble pound cake to convince them that sugar free is not the end of the world, and creating a small 3 ring binder of my favorite low carb recipes for them. Sister In Law is a wonderful cook (from New Haven by the way…..parents Italian and Portugese decent), makes the best eggplant parm I have ever had. But has a bad sweet tooth.

They know I have been doing low carb for the last 5 years and I will have no problem eating at their house…..well stocked frig. If I take my own plain Greek yogurt, they have eggs and salad and will grill steaks for dinner (always do), so good there. They will let me cook, prepare what I want/need.

So that leaves me with 3-4 days to work around. Can skip breakfast on day of surgery and take a couple hard boiled eggs made the night before and eat those once there around 11 am per my normal time and a bag of nuts for something with some fiber. As you suggested try to get a salad at the crappy cafeteria. Once bro is out of surgery and post op and in a room with a bathroom, can resume my water guzzling.

And good point about the silver lining re long walks to the hallway bathrooms from the family waiting room to return my water intake back to Mother Earth. Just need to take a picnic jug of water with me I guess. Water fountain will not cut it.

Can do dinner out. Have already planned where to stay … the hotel next to the Outback Steak house where I can get something grilled with salad and extra veg.

Next morning I prefer to just have coffee and skip breakfast anyway and not eat untill 11 am. That gives me 400 calories each for a decent early lunch and dinner.

At this point I am at the mercy of the crappy hospital cafeteria, or whatever I can pack ahead that does not need refrigeration. I am guessing soft pack tuna, packets of mayo (cafeteria probably has those but will try to find some ahead of time) and take a package of low carb pitas. Do that for lunch. Back to Outback for dinner. Grilled something and salad.

Repeat as necessary until discharge. Also package of low carb pitas wil allow me to buy sandwiches….discard the bread and stuff filling in low carb pita. Doable. Hoping only 2 days in hospital if all goes well.

Then back to planning my day around available rest stops.

It is just sort of amazing that you can be cruising along as a mature in control person, then a bit of a challenge comes along and you are regressing back, replaying some old deeply grooved primal loop in your head that is screaming “oh no…what if there is not enough food….what if I get hungry !!!!!!”. Its nuts.

I plan plan plan and am fine if I am in control. When the control is taken away, and I am NOT a happy camper.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

You can plan away and then you muck up right and proper, like I did yesterday and today. Blithely thought my feta cheese was a 100g pack and divided in half to have over two days for lunch. Realised after I had eaten it all that it was actually 200g, so that’s an extra 150 cals I hadn’t bargained on. Ooops!

Really busy being back at work. Sometimes it’s not worth taking time off! Driving home, I had an overwhelming craving for a pint 🍺! My old go to stress reliever. Took all my strength not to stop at the off licence! Really never had a craving since I gave up last May (baring a few at the Irish funeral) so this took me by surprise 😱😱😱 Only the thought of a day like today, tomorrow but with a hangover stopped me!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Luvtcook,

Would it be worth looking at coolboxes, or other forms of insulated boxes both for carrying food in the vehicle, and you can get some picnic size ones that you could take with you to the hospital. That would widen your choices of food.

– Locally there are shops that get chilled food delivered by courier who give away the insulated boxes their supplies are delivered in. the boxes are designed too keep food cool for at least 24 hours when in transit. and if you had some cool blocks which you could ask the hotel to refresh by popping in their freezer you would effectively have your own fridge in your car for the duration of your visit.

– You could use either a picnic size cool box, or one of the insulated bags you can buy to transport frozen food home from the shops to take food with you into the hospital, so you don’t have to depend on the selection available in the canteen.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Also Luvtcook, for the journey what about packing a shewee and reusing the empty water bottles?

• posted by alliecat
    on

But Leelee, you didn’t give in! I remember seeing a program on OCD once, where a cognitive therapist was working
    with a client. He was told to sit with the uncomfortable feelings, sooner or later the anxiety level would
    start to drop, because it couldn’t be maintained indefinitely. Perhaps that’s how it works with a craving that comes
    out of the blue also. I’m sure it caught you by surprise, but you made it through to the other side. You’ll be back
    on track in a few days…you just haven’t been thinking in terms of weighing and measuring while on vacation. I’m
    sure the respit (sp?) in the sun did you a world of good. I did enjoy taking a peek at the beach you mentioned…
    beautiful! Focus, my girl..I know you can do it! πŸ™‚

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

JGwen….you stumpted me. What is a shewee?

I have a small insulated cooler that I could take in the car. Plus in early March Pennsylvania temperatures only reach the 40s (F) during the day, so about the same temp as the inside of a frig. Daytime is not a problem. Night time it gets below freezing….so cannot keep temperature sensitive things in the car overnight but would just neet to take the cooler into the hotel at night. Will check to see if the hotel I am staying at has in room mini fridges. If not, may need to change hotel plans.

Thinking I could take some prepped cauliflower florets along. It would be ok in the car and keep well, and would provide some veg and fiber. I love it raw with just salt (maybe could find some single serving ranch or blue cheese dressing at a grocery salad bar to take for a dipper).

Thanks for your good ideas.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

JGwen, just Googled shewee…..bingo.

Love it. Great idea.

I think that is a brilliant little device to own. Can keep in car for any emergency. And I think half of the urgency I (or any woman) feels is due to anxiety about how far the next restroom is.

Less stress, less urgency.

Thank you! This one was a revelation for me. Very handy.

• posted by alliecat
    on

LTC, I knew once you began thinking about the individual challenges, that you’d have it well in hand! Sometimes all
    it takes is verbalizing it to 1 other person for it to seem more manageable. I’ve had that self same experience here,
    many times over. You’ve been practicing this WOL for months now, and I think that you will be surprised, when
    out of your usual surroundings, how imbedded these habits already are. More great ideas will be added, I’m sure.
    Shout out anytime…you know that I’m always pretty easy to find πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

xoxo
    Allie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

LTC, you know that combination of nuts and seeds you make as a hot breakfast? Add a tablespoon of powdered soy milk, coconut milk, or bouillion for a more savory lunch-like meal, to the dry mixture. Pack it in a microwave-safe container, add water and microwave it for a minute. If you don’t have access to a microwave, just add hot water. Most coffee stations have hot water dispensers for tea. It’s filling, fast and easily portable.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Thanks Essie ……good idea on the powdered meal. Did not know there was such a thing as powdered soy milk….I learn something new from you every week. That would be an excellent option on Day 2. Also, checked my more upscale supermarket today to see if they had the chicken broth you recommended but alas no. It may have to wait for a trip to Whole Foods, my best chance is there.

Allie: I have talked myself back from the ledge bit but still concerned a loss of routine will undermine my choices. I think overpacking will be my key. My irrational fear of not having what I need when I need it is the root of it. And I know its goofy. Just need to stick to a plan and have options for Plan B if needed. I have been spoiled not having to deal with anybody’s else’s needs but mine for going on 5 months. Time to deal with a dose of the reality that all the rest of you face. Suck it up and move on.

PS…love you both.

Please log in or register to post a reply.