New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Mixnmatch you know it! A really lovely meal…

Allie, sorry you haven’t slept very well…perhaps it was just feeling full? Hope you get a better night tonight. I won’t let on your secret about being sentimental…I am the same, but you wouldn’t know it would you?

It may not be too late to arrange a dinner out somewhere. I can’t help you re the carols, but maybe it would be better if you shed a tear and said…I remember how mum used to loved this one? I really believe in remembering actively and purposely. My mum was a harridan but I loved her and miss her heaps.

I have spent the day with two very snotty coughing kids. They really are not well at all. I have them all day tomorrow so boxes of tissues will be used.

Have a most wonderful weekend. I have no idea when I will be able to post. Love to all.

Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello my friends

I just wanted to post that I weighed in at 16.13 this morning so 3 of the 4 lbs gain from last week off. Phew! I shall weigh again on Thursday which is the last day of the Nov challenge and hopefully if I could have lost another 3 lb, I will have met my Nov goal of 6 lbs lost. So, scales going in the right direction again.

I had brunch today of a grilled kipper and 2 scrambled eggs. I really enjoyed it!

Well that’s it for today, nothing new to report. Got a mountain of leaves to sweep up and may be meeting up with a friend tomorrow for coffee but other than that, need to start the book club book 1984! But, I still need to finish Brain Grain, so whilst the laundry is on, that’s what I’m off to do now!

Enjoy your weekend lovelies, see you Monday.

Kazzzeee xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Phew…spent the day with two snotty, coughy grandies again. They are so lovely even as they are…how does so much gunk come out of such small noses? Anyway…knackered now.

Kazz…bloody well done and thank goodness for the weight loss…but then…you do work hard so you deserve it !

I am going to enjoy Strictly and I’m a Celeb tonight.

Take care everyone.

Love Mary xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the weekend…….We’re off to take a walk down by the river. There’s a nice boardwalk, and it’s a lovely crisp day.

Kazz, I’m sorry to hear about the leg/foot cramps. I hope that the soap tip works for you!
    I’m picturing you outside today working on the leaves. My father was a big believer in
    “free labor” so as children we were always enlisted for our servics on Autumn weekends.
    Our own lawn was several acres of landscaped property with at least 12 mature oaks
    on the property, so too much work for jim and I, left basically to the weekend. If it
    rained, we were pretty much doomed. Consequently, our lawn service did it after the
    first year. When I’m “allowed” access to the computer in the study I’ll reply. I got a chance
    to read thru your reply last night, and I’m sincerely grateful. You are so bright,
    perceptive and intuitive, I knew you would be able to help me make the best decision
    for me. More on that, later 🙂 Since you and friend Mary both enjoy Sat. night programming
    of “Dancing…”, would it be fun to skype and watch it together?? It makes me happy to
    think so 🙂 🙂 🙂

Love to all,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the weekend…….We’re off to take a walk down by the river. There’s a nice boardwalk, and it’s a lovely crisp day.

Kazz, I’m sorry to hear about the leg/foot cramps. I hope that the soap tip works for you!
    I’m picturing you outside today working on the leaves. My father was a big believer in
    “free labor” so as children we were always enlisted for our servics on Autumn weekends.
    Our own lawn was several acres of landscaped property with at least 12 mature oaks
    on the property, so too much work for jim and I, left basically to the weekend. If it
    rained, we were pretty much doomed. Consequently, our lawn service did it after the
    first year. When I’m “allowed” access to the computer in the study I’ll reply. I got a chance
    to read thru your email last night, and I’m sincerely grateful. You are so bright,
    perceptive and intuitive, I knew you would be able to help me make the best decision
    for me. More on that, later 🙂 Since you and friend Mary both enjoy Sat. night programming
    of “Dancing…”, would it be fun to skype and watch it together?? It makes me happy to
    think so 🙂 🙂 🙂

Love to all,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello gang! How’s it going on this lovely grey day?

It was such a gorgeous weekend both days wasn’t it, Mary? But cold! Got some of the leaves swept up be we need another big blow to release all the others from the hedges and hopefully blow them into next door!!!

Allie – hope you enjoyed your walk by river. Thanks for your email. I shall respond duly! 🙂

Right, just a quick drop in today… I have my half yearly review…. must go and find out if I’m on track with my 3 objections… (sorry – I mean objectives!). 🙂

toodlepip!

Kazzeee xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Kazz…this is my favourite time of the year. I love cold crispy weather where you can see your breath. Even better if it is sunny! Good luck with the review.

I weighed on Friday…16st 6lbs….same again on Saturday! Sunday…16st 10lbs. Today…the same! I CANNOT have gained 4 pounds in one day! I was drinking lots of water yesterday and today, so hopefully it was a water weight and will go overnight today. I am also fasting until 7 tonight. If I haven’t lost at least a pound by tomorrow I will have to chop a leg off to lose!

Waiting in for online shopping to be delivered. My Grandies are going to love Christmas this year. I get to spoil them rotten. I love it.

Love to all who are losing slowly and to all losing fast, to those maintaining and those beginning.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning/afternoon, all! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I can’t believe
    we are so close to the beginning of Dec. Time to buckle down to try to get some
    extra wiggle room to offset any little indulgences over the holidays. I think there
    will probably be as many strategies as there personalities on the forums. What ever
    works for you 🙂 I expect to remain my usual “rigid” self! No desserts of any kind, to
    begin with. Not any hardship though, because I have no appetite for sweet things
    any longer.

Kazzi, I’ll be saying a prayer to the weather gods that the wind blows from the right
    direction and deposits your leaves on someone else’s lawn. Just think about what
    a good upper body workout you got over this past weekend, however. After so many
    years at the same firm, I can’t imagine what “improvements” in your performance
    that they can possibly come up with! You probably could save them the trouble and
    write your own review, then sign it. 🙂

I’m thinking of coming up with a Boxing Day brunch in your honor. I’ll need to do
    a little research toward that end, and hopefully issue a few invitations later today.
    Wish me luck!

Have a good one,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

So sorry, meant to say that I’m working on a boxing day brunch in honor of ALL my
    new British/Aussie friends! Knowing you has brought a new special delight to my
    life. Very grateful 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Morning all.

Well….Friday 16;6….Saturday the same….relaxed ate a bsd friendly meal….had a little wine (total cals 1560 carbs 56)….Sunday 16:10
    Monday 16;10 Fasted for 24 hours.
    Today 16:8

So I can GAIN 4 pounds in one day and take 2 days to lose 2 Pounds!

EFFING FED UP…I may be back in a few days…need time to take stock.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Dearest Mary, I feel heartsick that you are having such a difficult time and can’t find
    a way out of it at the moment. I never had to fight for every pound as you have, and
    know I would be feeling the same way you are today if that had ever been the case.
    You may feel you need to clear your head and stop thinking about the BSD every
    waking hour. Be kind to yourself, please. It’s so important! You know how to find
    me, either privately or on the forum. Don’t hesitate to do so, okay? I am at a loss to
    help you find the answers, but do pray that someone else who has had the same
    issues will be along to help. I think I might start with a complete physical, but
    only you know what is best for you. Just know that you are much loved here.
    I’ll be “on call” and happy to help in any way I can.( insert heart here)

Allie
    xoxoxo

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Nonna Mary,

I’ll be thinking of you, too. Best wishes and come back when you can….

Take Care
    Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Mary – I am so effin fed up for you also! I’ve also noticed how quickly I can gain after a weekend of more calories than perhaps in the week, and that it takes longer to lose it again. My only advice would be change your weigh in day to Friday mornings. Do not peep in between as we fluctuate most days and weighing every day and seeing this is very disheartening. But for now, have a break from this and re-charge. You’ve been working so hard at BSD for the best part of a year I think? Don’t go too mad though and never come back… otherwise I’ll hunt you down! 🙂 Lots and lots of cyber hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – I’ll be back later in my lunch break as it month end madness right now. xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Dear Nonna Mary,
    You and I are so alike, the slightest blip and I put on heaps yet it takes weeks to lose!! This is why I rarely post anymore, so tired of saying the same things over and over and hardly ever losing let alone maintaining! It’s been a long 14 months….
    SO. Maybe you and I are slower losers but we are still here and still trying. Imagine the state we’d be in if we weren’t.
    I still love this way of eating and will keep it up forever, it makes me feel great so let’s both of us keep going!!! xxxxxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Mary, I am with you. I did a 4 day fast, followed by a very reasonable Thanksgiving holiday…..and am down only 2 lbs over 10 days. The same 2 lbs I would have had WITHOUT the fast.

Do not know what is going on ….only explanation I have is that a fast is supposed to restore gut bacteria and we are supposed to have 4 lbs of gut bacteria (yes….4lbs….yikes).

Is it possible that our guts were not in great shape and the fasts do help the healthy bacteria “come back to life”….and maybe multiply to the extent that a lb or 2 could actually be added?

I am trying to be patient to wait it out and see if the loss I expected shows up down the line, and may do another 2 fast starting tomorrow.

I have cut my already low alcohol consumitons down to next to nothing (did do 1 glass of wine with Thanksgiving dinner and 1/2 a lite beer over the weekend) but plan to cut even that to zero during the DEC challenge.

Hope you are not too discouraged to return to the group….you will be much missed. We have to feed our souls as well as our bodies and you and the others on this thread feed my soul. Not losing is frustrating, but going off the plan and actually seeing a permenant gain would be even worse.

Hope to see you again soon….slog along with me. We can do it even if it takes a bit longer than we would like.

LTCook

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning my friends

Allie – sorry, haven’t emailed you yet but I will soon. Thanks for your good wishes with my half year review. It was all fine. I work for 2 partners and 3 associates and it’s flat out sometimes. The 2 partners are the type that ALWAYS have to find something to critique regardless of how hard I’ve worked or what I’ve come up with to improved the running of admin procedures! There is always something I could improve on, even if it’s responding quicker to yet another non-urgent “can you sort that out” admin thing. I prioritise so sometimes I might not get to dealing with something for a few days. After 19 years, I’ve come to realise that if there’s always a critique, it actually keep me feeling a bit suppressed, less confident. He obviously knows which of my buttons to press! The partner I’ve been with 19 years, used to be involved in grading me. Thankfully those days are gone. Every year he used to say, you’re nearly an E (excellent), you’re just on the cusp! After a few years, I went into my appraisal with him and my line manager and said, I am an E! Low and behold I was awarded that grade and subsequent higher pay rise. It’s been frustrating over the years and earlier this year I spoke with my manager of PA resource and said that I would like to move to a float PA position for the group should a suitable vacancy arise in the future. My long term goal is to drop to a 4 day week, but that won’t be for 5 years yet as I’m overpaying slightly on my mortgage to reduce my 10 years that are left to 7. I’ve worked very hard and been loyal to him but now I need to think about what I want for me going forward. My manager is totally supportive and with my events organising, she thinks I would be a fabulous additon to our team of floats. So watch this space!

I ended a 46 hour fast last night with baked haddock and greens. Going for another one today. It was easier this time. I drank black coffee and water but only a litre of water. Hard to remember to keep swigging!

Luvtocook – that’s interesting about the gut bacteria. I’m taking a 10 billion supplement daily as I think 7 months last year on antibiotics knocked my guts about. I’ve had digestive problems ever since. Not sure if it’s a gluten thing though. Same symptoms!

Time to get ready for work. See you later!

Kazzeee xxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Kazz,

Reading through your post reminded me of a time when they introduced performance-related pay reviews into some parts of the public sector back in the ’80s (didn’t last long as there was never the money to pay anyone no matter how well they did ). I was last in for our annual review. Like you say, as part of the process you had to grade your own work. I was chatting to my manager at the end of my interview – he was saying how it was fascinating. Every single woman he’d interviewed had graded themselves lower than he would and every single man had graded himself higher!

I’m so impressed with the fasting. I’m trying to do it but keep putting it off. When you fast, do you still only eat 800 calories afterwards or have you increased the amount you eat ? Also, does it help to shrink the waist size. I’ve lost lots of weight but not that much of the fat around my waist.

Hope you have a good day at work.

Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Marie

Just dropped in quickly in my lunch hour… you made me smile with the performance related pay review memories. I used to dread it! Unlike some people who are motivated to achieve the highest grade, I actually find being graded quite demotivating!

As far as fasting goes – this is only the second time I’ve done 46 hours but I do 18:6 daily. Yes, I do my best to stick to no more than 800. Last night when I broke my fast, I had less than 800 cals but that’s because it was at the end of the day and I was in bed by 9! Weekends may be slightly over the 800, particularly if I have my Saturday night alcohol! I can’t give it up completely, makes me miserable. Considering I’ve only lost 22 lbs, I have noticed a huge difference around my waist but I’m not sure if it’s just that I’m no longer bloated and fizzing inside all the time. I can suck my stomach right in (for about 5 seconds!). But I am a ball shape rather than evenly well clad all over, so perhaps that’s why it’s more noticeable. I’m only quarter of the way there. I’ve been reading up on fasting and the process of autophagy… it’s all very interesting.

Enjoy your day – brass monkeys out there in that wind! Yikes!

Kx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, ladies of the sisterhood 🙂 Kazzi and Marie, extremely interesting
    conversation this morning about work related experiences. Particularly the notion
    that women consistently under rate themselves compared to men! Perhaps it’s
    because we receive different messaging with regard to expectations, from our
    families of origin? I.Q. testing was done every 5 yrs. or so in our school system.
    Our parents informed us of these results, and because we all tested in the 90-95 percentile,
    excellence and high achievement was the expectation in all areas of life. Thus began
    a long road of judging ourselves much more harshly than other women. Consequently,
    I’ve been a perfectionist all my life, another sister is a pathological people pleaser,
    and a third earned a full scholarship to Harvard. Externally, we are all considered accomplished women. But do we think so? Nooo! Enough of my amateur psychology
    for today 🙂 🙂 🙂

I continue to be in awe of all of you who are able to fast. I’d be interested in the answers
    to your last 2 questions too, Marie. Have a wonderful day all!

Allie
    xoxoo

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hiya Allie, thoroughly enjoyed just reading your post! I have just replied to your email and I did respond to Marie’s fasting questions. I think our posts crossed.

Sorry, back to the grindstone….

See you tomorrow!
    Kxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

‘Morning/afternoon, Kazz, and anyone else who follows this thread. Our posts
    did indeed, cross! I did get a quick moment to read your email before o/h whisked
    his computer out from under me to take it the college. Will respond later when it
    returns to the premises. Until then, thank you for your insight. I feel much more
    confident in the decisions I have made. I LOVE that you sent me a picture of your
    darling “mum”! She looks great, and it’s hard to believe that she has had a stroke.
    I’m somewhat distressed that somehow I seem to have missed this fact, however.
    I thought my memory was better than that, particularly because my Mother had
    a catastrophic stroke that took her life, so I can more than relate to what your Mother
    has been through. This makes the upcoming holiday you are spending together all
    the more precious. I envy you 🙂 One thing I have to clarify. I must have been unclear
    about my family. I have 4 nephews, but no children. It’s just us and the felines!
    Since I definitely won’t be spending Christmas eve with my sister, her husband or her
    son, or my Mother, I have no idea how to celebrate it this year. I feel a little “adrift”,
    and hope to pull something together with friends afterward, along the lines of your
    boxing day. Any excuse will do, really! I’ve read this morning that you’re about to do
    a second 42 hr. fast this week? You are the educated one on the teachings of Fung,
    so I have to defer to your knowledge here, but is it safe in terms of your vitamins and
    minerals to go for 4 days without food? I’m feeling a little anxious for you, my friend 🙂
    Forgive me, my sweet, but I AM worried for you. Is this okay? How do you feel when
    on a fast? I hear reports of euphoria, energy, etc. but since I can’t personally get past
    16-17 hours without a growling tummy, I find it hard to imagine….
    Can’t wait to see the results that you will be posting Sat. morning 🙂

Love to you,

Allie
    xoxoxo

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Californiagirl (julia!) – I’ve just heard the Garcia Zuarte verdict, and I have to apologize
    in advance because this has nothing to do with the BSD. My heart is bleeding for the
    Steinle family tonight. I can’t comprehend what has just happened in San Francisco.
    As a lifetime resident of Cali, can you share your unique perspective on this outcome?
    Can this beautiful state have changed so much in 45 years?? I’ve heard the post verdict
    interviews, and I’m stunned. How do northern Californians feel about it?
    Thanks 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie – please don’t worry about the fasting, I have eaten a bsd friendly meal every other day of about 600 calories and I take a daily multi vitamin for extra insurance! Mary recommended that. I haven’t felt hungry either! Feel just great! I think leaving out the milk in tea and coffee has made the difference. I’ve been eating once a day Mon to Fri (24 hr fast) and 2 meals Sat and Sun (18:6 fast) for about 6 weeks now and saw very small losses on the scales as you know. I did a 48 hour fast last week. I’ve done 2 this week and have dropped 7 lbs! (Sorry Mary – hope you’re not reading this). I’m sure I will gain over the weekend so will be interesting to see if my theory, that I mentioned to Mary, is correct.

Happy 1st of December to you all by the way!! And happy Friday!

I’ll be back later friends.

Kaz xxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Kaz, I am with you. Doing a 2 day fast that actually ends up being 60 hrs (last meal on Wed evening at 6:30, fast for Thur & Fri, first meal breakfast on Sat, so 48 hrs plus overnight is 60).

I also feel no hunger pains whatsoever and find 24 hrs really easy to do. This was not the case a couple of years ago doing 5:2. I found it hard doing the 500 cal on the fast day. But a switch flipped on the BSD. Once I got over the first couple of hard days, hunger is gone….and fasting for 2 days not a big deal. Did a 4 day fast early in NOV and found day 4 tough….but think I was not getting enough salt.

Like you and Allie I have no concerns about nutrients. Am careful to make the rest of the week count with very nutritious food. Am thinking I may do this pretty regularly with bone broth for lunch and dinner as I find it very satisfying and soothing. I do think the fasting is a great tool and also appears to have extra weight loss umph without a lot of effort. And the data cited by Jason suggests that fasters do NOT lose muscle on a fast, which was also a concern of mine.

I was sorry to hear your one meal a day regime was not successful. Sounded like a great idea to me too. But as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Anxious to hear how you continue to get on with some 2 day fasts sprinkled in as I may copy you if you find it is working well. Even just a 60hr fast once a week seems very doable to me. I am at 215 lbs and am so anxious to get out of the 200s and see 199 again. I would be thrilled to lose 3 lbs a week up to that point and 2.5 lbs wk after that.

Good luck Kaz…look forward to reading about your success

• posted by alliecat
    on

Excellent, Kazzi and LTC. I should of known you’d be on top of the nutrition question!
    Can’t wait til tomorrow for your weigh in Kazz. It’s also very informative to hear your
    individual experiences with fasting because it’s coming from friends that I “know”. 🙂
    I’m happy that you found each other here, because where you both are on the journey
    is indeed similar. I do have an “ear” for success, and I have no doubt that you will be
    where you want to be in the future. Count on it!

LTC, are you making your own bone broth? I found that putting a scoop of Dr Axe’s
    collagen protein powder in my coffee every day while doing the 800 gave me an
    extra 7g of protein with a mere 28 cal. It’s good for the joints, hair, nails and SKIN, also.
    I didn’t want to lose muscle mass either! It was so edifying to see my weight drop below
    200 lbs. There is definitely something psychological in that short term goal. 🙂

Carry On, my lovelies!

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie: yes on homemade bone broth….the benefits of a turkey carcass leftover from Thanksgiving. LOVE homemade soup.
    XOXO back to you.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie and LTC – I shall indeed post tomorrow what the scales say.
    LTC – a 4 day fast is very impressive! I might also join you. Weird, I feel slightly naughty that I’m fasting at all – it’s been drummed into us for so long about eating 3 or 4 times a day. I do need to be better at making sure my food is more nutritious, that’s for sure. I have a lot to learn on that score…

Allie – Fung’s book – it says that after the fat is used up for energy, the body then turns to the dodgy rubbish cells and uses those up (autophagy – saggy skin), producing new cells. As I will have plenty of saggy skin to go at, I’m not worried about burning muscle!

My boss has just brought in some very expensive buttery mince pies and a box of fancy chocs from the local posh choccy place! Another guy came back from a breakfast meeting with a tray of crusty bread bacon sandwiches and a bowl of ketchup! All put on the fat station for whoever to help themselves. I have kindly declined, saying I was saving myself for Xmas! He can’t believe his ears! 🙂

Allie – I’ll have to look to see if we have anything available like collagen protein powder over here. I’m afraid bone broth doesn’t appeal to me in the least to be honest but I would be interested, LTC, in your recipe that is so comforting. Happy to learn about that.

It would be fabulous LTC for you to reach your target of 199 so I am routing for you, and routing for myself – I’m at 230lbs right now. Allie is the coach as she’s already got there and is championing our cause!

Right, duty calls – see you all tomorrow my lovelies.

Kazzeexx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Allie — with a heavy heart I am probably not going to shed much light on the Kate Steinle verdict — I know how betrayed many people feel by this shocking verdict but as an attorney I also know that the facts in court are often radically different from the information presented by the media.
    From what I have heard, the jury focused on the fact that the bullet hit a concrete pier, then ricocheted 200 feet before it hit Kate — an improbable result and trajectory — and I think ultimately why he was acquitted of her death.
    Maybe “reckless behavior resulting in death” (some kind of manslaughter) might have been a better charge but the crazy “noise” around the death and the issue of illegal immigration and sanctuary cities made it impossible for the prosecution to go with anything but the big guns.
    It seems to me, like so many, that she did not get the justice she deserved but I was not there in the courtroom and I did not hear all the testimony so I don’t really know if that feeling is true or just my frustration with her awful and pointless death.
    What I do think is that the city of San Francisco is partially responsible for her death by not enforcing the immigration laws and they do all their residents massive damage by not enforcing the law. Legal immigrants are harmed as well and the mood turns ugly between fellow San Franciscans when people feel that some people are being protected at the expense of others.
    It seems odd, doesn’t it, that we argue over a legal and orderly immigration policy — but it has become so politicized that the reasonable middle ground just can’t be found.
    Worldwide I think, people want legal and orderly immigration policies that protect the immigrant AND the citizen — we see that everywhere in the world.
    Unfortunately, Kate Steinle’s death got all mixed up in that.
    My heart goes out to her family. It is a tragedy.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you SO much, Julia, for adding your professional experience and judgement to
    your analysis of this tragic set of circumstances. It’s helped enormously with my
    understanding of this incident, and I’m truly grateful that you’ve taken the time to
    respond to a subject so off thread. There is so much turmoil in our beloved country,
    sometimes I think the train is just moving too fast for me to absorb it all. I much
    appreciate your perspective. I hope everything is well with you, my sister! My confidence in
    maintenance continues to grow weekly, so all A-OK here. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I too, Allie, share your sense that the train is moving too fast these days. It is hard to stay calm with so much going on, minute to minute, everything from gender to pay to immigration to nuclear threats to environmental collapse (to just name a few!!) I find myself just turning off the news and trying to take in LESS information.
    I’ve been trying to combat all the anger out there by being especially kind to everyone I meet and trying to not respond to provocations until I can get my own self sorted and composed.
    I used to eat to keep my brain calm but BSD has given me some better coping strategies! I’m doing good on maintenance too — just sticking with the principles and not paying much attention to it beyond that — I love this WOE — I’m never going back to carbs and I don’t even look at them like I used to — they look like non-food to me now.
    I stood in line at the grocery the other day and just marveled (in horror) at all the cr*p that was around me, candy and more candy and doughnut holes and pies and cupcakes and granola “bites” and cookie tubs and buckets of Dutch-crunch bread — and all of that within just a few feet of the check-out line — it doesn’t even look like food anymore, just like some awful art project (I mean, the colors!) —
    So glad you are doing well!! I always love your enthusiasm and energy and postings!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Californiagirl, I feel sorry for the parents who want to try and raise their kids to be healthy and eat well amid all this mess. Like you I was in the supermarket checkout line and watching a child munching on the junk food his mother had given to buy his silence while she tried to pay for her groceries….as the other children are begging for this and that piece of junk right at their fingertips.

The supermarket even has a little stand when you walk in offering free cookies for the kids. Really?

Any poor mother saying NO to their child must seem like Scrooge with everybody else around them caving in to the demands for this kind of crap. No wonder the obesity epidemic is now rampant in children under 10 in the US. Very sad.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello! Just popping in quickly to report that the scales registered 16.7 this morning. 1 lb up from when I sneaked a peak yesterday after twp 48 hr fasts. I did have a bit of Friday night alcohol last night. Plus a handful of walnuts and 40g of Stilton cheese. That cheese was so good. This morning I had two grilled bacon, two chipolata sausages, grilled tomatoes. I’ve felt queasy all day since! I think when breaking a fast, I need to eat less rich foods and no alcohol straight after. It’s all a learning curve! Overall I have lost 6 lbs this week which is more than I’ve lost in a month over the last 2 months!

Off to watch Strictly so have a lovely weekend all.

Kazeee xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazzi, that’s an incredible loss for so many weeks in! Congratulations! I simply can’t
    be around Stilton, it’s at the top of my list of all time favorite cheese. I could OD on
    it easily, so I can’t risk it. 🙂 Ever! Do you think your upset stomach was from all the
    pork fat? Sausage and bacon aren’t really part of our food traditions, so I keep our
    protein very lean, and use plant based sources to fulfill that requirement. I don’t think
    I’ll ever stop learning, though.

Enjoy your evening,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie – yes, think it was probably the sausages. They were small thin ones and grilled not fried, but it was all too much. Should have just had some scrambled eggs I’ve learned from that and won’t do it again. Had a peep on the scales expecting to have gained a bit more after yesterday’s food, but was still at 16.7. I’ll not weigh again now until Saturday and see what the scales say.

See you later my sweet!

Kazzee xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

‘Morning Kazzi, and anyone else who may be out and about on this thread. Mary, if
    you’re reading but not posting, I’m thinking of you and sending you a hug from the
    darkness of our bedroom at 5:30am. Yawn.

It must be tea break time for you Kazzi. It sounds to me like you’ve set yourself
    up well for another successful week. Glad the brussel sprouts roast turned
    out well. I love to eat vegetables seasonally, so this time of year I’m hot on the
    trail of new sprout ideas. I’ve tried roasting a sheet pan of the petite cabbages,
    but think I used a too high temp because the outer leaves were charred and
    inetible( sp?). My current favorite holiday version is to cut mid size sprouts in
    half, set aside, then saute a thin slice of chopped pancetta. Remove from the pan,
    and then saute the sprouts in that pan til they brown to caramelize, but don’t became
    overcooked. Pour back in the pancetta crisps and serve en casserole. Very simple!
    what will you and mum be choosing to make? I feel like a “kid with a secret” to tell,
    so I’ll find you later!

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – It is nearly lunch time – 20 mins to go. I’ve done nothing but sort out people’s most ridiculous requests this morning. I support 5 bloody babies! Like I’m their mother or something! Give me strength!!!!!

Alas, my lovely mum is notorious for boiling to death all vegetables until they are a mushy plop! Frozen peas are the only “veg” that survive! Also, roasting all meats until like shoe leather! My dad used to really moan as he was never able to carve the meat/chicken – it just fell like wood shavings! 🙂 I think that’s why I always preferred the dark meat on a chicken – the leg and thigh! It was only as an adult when I first dined out and had succulent beef, Lamb and pork and al dente veg, that I realised that was how it should be! So, to answer your question, I will very diplomatically suggest we try a new exciting way with the sprouts! I’m now totally spoiled for choice as roasted sprouts were definitely on the list to do, but now my mouth is watering at the idea of your sprouts with pancetta! I may just have to do both!

Mary – I too think about you daily. 🙂 I hope you come back after your rest. I really miss you, my friend. xxxx

Laters peeps – don’t let the baaaastards grind you down as they say!

Kazzee xxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Kazz, recommend you Google recipes for roasted broccoli / cauliflower / green beans. All more or less call for preheating a baking pan in a very hot oven…then once hot, tossing the veg with oil, salt & pepper and then throwing onto the hot baking pan. Objective is to get one side nice and browned (no need to turn over) and finish with fancy extras (like the wonderful pancetta suggestion). I agree with you….roasted veges are a revelation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thank you LTC. Excellent suggestion, particularly as I’ll not be having roast potatoes…. I’ll get a bit of texture/crunch with the greens instead. 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Kazzi! My most sincere apologies…I was just on the phone with Esnecca confirming
    our dinner date for sat. night, only to discover that my emails haven’t been delivered
    this week! I sent a long rambling one to you earliest part of this week and now I
    fear you may not have received it! I’m hoping you still get alerts to this thread and
    might see my post. How has the week gone for you BSd wise, as well as at the
    firm? Christmas parties are probably in full swing now. How are they working out
    with your scheduled BSD meal choices? I shudder to think what I might have had
    to circumvent in like circumstances. I know that tomorrow is preferred weigh-in day
    for you, so please report in as you usually do. How are you otherwise??? I’m holding
    steady with weight loss, still 12lbs below target Tomorrow I plan to fast until late
    afternoon, and then Esnecca, her partner and the 2 us will be breaking fast at a tapas
    restaurant. Laughter will be the coin of the realm tomorrow. What a joyous occasion
    to be able to get together! 🙂 🙂 How often would it even be possible? Great seafood on
    the menu, too!

I’ve been feeling a little subdued today, second anniversary of my Mother’s death.
    It’s been hard to not relive those last 8 hrs. by her side. It will all be easier tomorrow,
    I hope.

Keep in touch Kazzi – I miss you out and about, not to mention on email/

Much love,
    Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie 😁. I’ve emailed you finally. Sorry to hear your email to me didn’t send. I defo haven’t received it so hope you can re-send? I love your lively ramblings!

1 lb off this week. 16.6. Still going downwards but a bit of a contrast to last week! I didn’t do any 48 fasts this week.

Hugs to you Allie in remembering your mum yesterday. I’ve said more in my email. I hope you are feeling better today?

I need to venture out later this morning to get my hair cut. Must dig out my ice grippers to put over my boots! They keep me upright! Heavier snow is forecast tomorrow. I’m on leave on Monday and am supposed to be out for lunch. I’ve checked the menu online. There are a couple of things I can have.

Have a wonderful time with Esnecca and partners tonight. How exciting! Looking forward to hearing all about it! It’s quite marvellous how this website has brought people together!

Ok my friend, I’ll hear from you soon, no doubt! Enjoy!

Kazzee xxxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – correction to above. 16.5, 2lbs off! I’ve since been to the bathroom after 2 days! Seems it does make a difference! Or I could just be kidding myself! Either way, i’ll take it!

• posted by marie123
    on

Allie, Kazz – wanted to come over and say a quick Hi before I go off-line for the weekend.

Allie, I was thinking of you, too, yesterday. Hope things were OK for you. Have a great, great time tonight with Esnecca and your OH’s (god help both of them!). I’ll be listening out for the screams of laughter from here. And I’m quite jealous because the restaurant sounds great.

Kazz – I kept meaning to come on and congratulate you last week on your 6lb weight loss – but somehow didn’t. Sorry about that. That was a fantastic result – and another 2lbs off now – half a stone in 2 weeks, wow! It’s a nice day again here in the north-east so no snow for us yet. Hope you get out to the hairdressers OK. Yes, I was just thinking the other day that I need to change my hairstyle because my face is so much thinner. Let me know how yours goes.

Have a good Sat/Sun – I’m off to do some moderate intensity exercise – hoovering – groan.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes, Yes, YES, Kazzi – Another very successful week for you! Your lead up to Christmas
    is going great guns, isn’t it magnificent to feel in control again? 🙂 🙂 🙂 I hope we find the
    time to diagnosis the email problem this weekend. What’s so frustrating about it is that it’s
    intermittent. Fortunately I can mitigate against it here on the threads, and in day to day
    life with friends there is always the phone. Even I can’t mess that one up! Speaking
    of the telephone, I’ve bee thinking about looking into upgrading our phone service to
    international coverage if it’s not too cost prohibitive. It would be wonderful to be able
    to wish you Merry Christmas with my voice, and not my fingertips! Navigating the accents
    would be hilarious. I have 2 friends, one from Switzerland and another from Nicaragua,
    and what they say and what I hear can be wildly dissimilar experiences….
    Yesterday passed without too much sadness, thanks. When the sleeping giant regains
    consciousness, I’ll check the mail. I hope you get your cards done tomorrow with snow
    in the forecast. That’s to be the weather event here today. I hope it doesn’t “foil our
    plans” for this evening. Essie has a lot farther to travel than I do, so we’ll just have to
    wait and see what the afternoon brings. If you like your new hairdo, it would be fun
    to see it by our usual channels. 🙂 Until later, my sweet!

Thank you Marie, for your thoughtfulness. It’s very much appreciated. I didn’t fare as
    badly as I feared, thanks in no small part to keeping busy on the forums yesterday.
    There is so much energy and truth on the Dec. challenge, in no small part due to your
    willingness to be so honest about your emotions. I see that you are resonating with
    so many over there, and it is magnificent to see how the concept of mindfulness is
    being embraced. Have a wonderful weekend. Mine should be over the top! You may
    very well hear laughter booming from this side of the Atlantic. You’ll be with us in
    spirit!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, hope you are feeling less blue after your much anticipated double date with Esnecca.

Also, did you do your 1 day fast as planned? I have modified mine consistent with this clip form one of the researchers M Mosely featured in his 5:2 Horizon production. This note is part of a posting he recently attached on his TWEET section on the face page of the BSD web site.

Fast Mimicking diet: Created by Professor of gerontology and biological sciences at USC, Valter Longo, it comprises of meal boxes designed to be used for 5 days every month. Using natural, gluten-free and plant-based ingredients, meals are low-protein, low-carb and high in good fat, with 770 to 1,100 calories aimed for per day.

Instead of a full fast, I am now having one meal of a humongous tossed salad (starts with half a head of Romaine) with a vinaigrette with 2 TBS of ex virgin olive oil….so in the end it is about 350 cal low protein, low carb and high in good fat.

Due to the olive oil, I find it very satisfying and I know I am getting a lot healthy low carb veg in it (I put in a good cup of sliced red cabbage, 1/2 a cucumber, 1 stalk of celery, a chopped canned artichoke bottom, and some chopped gardiniera….some of the cauliflower and red pepper). Very happy with that.

And nosh on some chia seeds after. Thank you for that suggestion No more transit issues, and I find them very satisfying (with some good guzzles of water in the process to ensure no issues there).

• posted by alliecat
    on

Luvtcook, can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to reading about Valter Longo’s
    research and fast mimicking diet. I’m grateful to you for directing me toward what sounds
    like an excellent point of departure to acquire the knowledge that I lack. I haven’t done a
    full 24 h fast yet, but I’m attempting it today. The menu from El Pulpo looks wonderful,
    so today appears to be the day, if the weather headed this way cooperates!

Thanks a bunch for starting a cooking thread. I know that it is going to be much
    appreciated by all! Stay warm this weekend!

Lovely to hear from you,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – better still, we could skype! It’s free! Ask Esnecca, I bet she has either an iPhone or smartphone. I have a samsung smartphone. I have skype and I have an iPad with FaceTime. Same thing as skype. Not sure whether you would still need to upgrade your internet service? I’ll be around all day tmrw to chat. Have fun tonight and don’t fall off your 👠 my girl!

Marie, thanks so much for your good wishes! It was a shock! But very welcome! I postponed the hairdresser until next Saturday. It didn’t really need it and I’m a scaredy-cat I driving on compacted ice. I may just trim my fringe tho so I can see where I’m going! Did my vaccine today too! Treat yourself, Marie! You’ll look and feel feb and you deserve it!

My bestie and her family are driving down from Sheffield today for their annual family gathering. No snow yet but they’re driving back again about 10pm tonight as snow is forecast tmrw here and in Sheff. Her oh is on call tmrw – he checks rivers to make sure they’re flowing ok and in flood time he’s really busy. He’s some kind of engineer but we call him the River deranger!

LTC , that salad sounds lovely. Will have to copy that! Good luck with the coming days!

Bye for now cherubs. Gotta get ready!

Xxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Ugh Marie, that should read vacuuming, flipping auto correct!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Now, that’s an idea, Kazzi! I’ll check with my globe trotting sister and BIL. Their sons
    communicate with skype or something that they like even better because the boy’s
    girlfriends are on work study in various foreign countries. My Harvard bound nephew is
    taking a year off to teach English in Russia, and the other son has a girlfriend who is
    studying “Perfumerie” in France. Hoping to connect with BIL if he’s in the country at
    the moment. Will let you know how I fair with this idea later in the weekend. How
    wonderful to spend time with your “bestie” today! Precious moments, always 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie, Wow, what a diverse lot! Spread out all over the place. I skype with my sis in Jersey and my uncle in Cyprus. Please do see if it’s possible. It would be so awesome! Will speak later on email.

Xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.