New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Kazzi!. “Anthem” is the perfect choice of words! Best of luck with your batch cooking plans for the weekend.
    Sounds like an excellent idea. I’ve got a jump on it myself. I brought home armloads of gorgeous eggplant (aubergine),
    vine ripened tomatoes and unblemished courgette, and I have been busy cooking up a giant pot of ratatouille today.
    The fresh basil smells fantastic! I’m happy to hear that the grocery ordering strategy is working for you. We eat a lot
    of wild salmon here, also. I like jamie Oliver’s cooking style, so please come back and report on the recipe for
    salmon cakes. Have a wonderful w/e.

Love,

Allie

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Nonna Mary – I know what caused the gain…..I ate crap and drank crap. I realise I have been dreading today, and what I dreaded came to pass….though it has caused some soul searching.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB…as long as you know…you can repair….I think you have a lot of shit going on at the moment so cut yourself some slack. You are brilliant and caring. You will be fine. Much love goes to you.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

on

Recovered from yesterday and I am seriously ready for my reboot.

1200 calories is my daily limit, along with 18:6 I.F. I watched Lisa Riley’s programme on baggy bodies and I don’t want one so I will be happy to get to a size 16.

I was going to write about yesterday but it is just too personal. I will say that in the moment it was horrible and unsettling but today I feel a bit lighter (mentally) like what was said needed to be said. That what was explained needed to be explained.

On that vague comment I will pop off. Got some chores to do.

FFBB out.

• posted by alliecat
    on

FFBB – I’m glad that you feel a little lighter today, and are ready for a reboot. These emotional issues can be
    more debilitating than we realize. I’ve recently gone through one of these – Had to make a decision to distance
    myself from 1 of my sisters, whose toxic, abusive behavior was having a negative effect on my health, and it
    became a point of self preservation. I actually feel liberated, though. A great burden has been lifted from my
    day to day existence. I hope whatever you’ve recently been thru represents some form of closure for you,
    and now you can concentrate on the positive changes you want to make in your life. We’re here for you!

Love,

Allie

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    I hope you’ve all (or are still having )a great weekend…ffbb and alliecat …well done on hanging in there…and hanging in here through life’s challenges

I’ve had a pretty good end of week…Thursday (day 4 seriously back on the straight and narrow)…a TV series I’ve been watching was up for a final episode, so I decided to allow myself a glass of wine…logged it into mfp, got my raincoat on to walk to the bottle shop, then turned around and made…tea!!
    Friday night however, I did submit…but only Friday…and food wise all pretty good

Mary, pondering on your slow loss (and mine currently)…here’s a theory
    I lost reasonably quickly on the first 3-4 weeks but have been little more than treading water since
    Those early kilos were what I’ve gained only in the last 12-18months, whereas now I’m trying to shake the excess of the last decade and more…so wondering if having been heavier longer, we’ve somehow changed the set-point?
    Anyhow, just a theory…I’m sure all the reasons are multi-factorial as most in life

From today to Thursday I’m starting the five day fasting mimicking diet (prolon)….no problems with hunger…but I so miss my tea with soymilk!! (it is only 5 days!!!)
    xxx

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Hi Alliecat, Joes nonna, EC, Heather66, FFBB, CanadaLiz ,Kazzi, and everyone I have missed. I hope your weekends are relaxing and you are all giving yourself a bit of love and kindness.
    You are all doing great, lifes trials and tribulations come to test us, but it seems we are dedicated to ourselves for the first time properly in years.

We are safe enough to come back here, in time, after wagon falling.

You really can’t beat having a community of like minded folk, who help you pull yourself backup, when at times to do it alone, would be impossible. Just the essence of ” we’ve gotchya back” and everyone is here to hear too. It is great and a little bit of a honest sanctuary. Thanks for welcoming me in.

Just had a massive realisation, my WW scales are crap!
    7 days ago I was around 95kg , logged on Calorie King, anyway… getting my hopes up, that I would have made it 93.0kg yesterday.
    Given zero alcohol for 6 days, clean eating, and some days under 800 cal.
    Weight…84kg!! No way…get back on the scales in disbelief, it weighs me at 82kg (that’d be 11kg in one day!!!).

I got annoyed at the ridiculousness of it.
    Then a couple of hours later come back dressed in shorts and tshirt later on 95.8… that’s when the penny dropped… I don’t actually know what my weight is/ or I guess was (the latter I guess i don’t mind!!).
    Feeling despondent, a little low, but can’t throw the towel in after a solid week.

So feeling bummed, but figure that if I keep going, calorie counting etc I will just feel it in my clothes. Bolognese with zuchetti tonight.

FFBB what is 18:6 1F 1?

Cuppa calling, need to stave off some pangs, and give myself a hug on the inside. Wishing you all the same, warm hugs to all!
    Searching(for reliable scales)rockpools

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good morning everyone and a hearty well done.

Searchingrockpools…I have not noticed a great dip in my weight, but I have changed shape. I used to look like Humpty Dumpty and now, although I have an ‘apron’ of fat hanging in front of my stomach, I have a visible waist. Your scales sound very temperamental and ready for the bin! My scales are pretty accurate, but if I lean to one side I can lose a pound or two lol. There is another thread on this forum, where they talk of jeans for the future. I think that you buy some Jeans that don’t fit and see how much closer you get to wearing them. This would be an incentive!

EC…amazing work. To actually leave the house and change your mind! You are brilliant. It may be that it takes longer to lose after it has been here so long lol. It bloody came on quick enough though! I have now been fat for exactly half my life. Before my 30th birthday I never got above 9 pounds heavier than 9 stone. Stupid thing is…my mother used to tell me I was FAT…thunder thighs she used to say. Some years back we were looking at old photos and she stared at one and said “I don’t remember you being thin.” She was like that my mom! She also once asked me what did my friends think of me being fat. I said if they told me they wouldn’t be friends for long. My friends like me for who I am, not what my weight is!

Allie, you are fast becoming our personal Psychologist…your advice is so true. Sometimes we forget we can cut the dead wood away and find new strength.

FFBB…Well done for dealing with shit and then getting on with your life. You are important too!

I think that is it for now. I am watching Mo Farah in the Great North Run (a half marathon for those not in the UK). Makes me tired to see all that energy!

Take care peeps,

Lots of Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning (here) Searchinginrockpools!

You have described our community beautifully. Thanks!

It may be time to retire those WW scales. I remember how elated I was to see my weight begin with
    a 1 instead of a 2! I was too cowardly to weigh myself for 17 years, and didn’t actually know where
    I had begin until I finally asked my doctor when I was well on my way. I don’t know if this will help,
    but I saw a lot of fluctuation, also, and found I had more confidence in my numbers by adopting this
    plan of action. I only weighed myself at the same time of day, first thing in the morning before coffee or
    having anything to eat, and only on days where I had no issues with constipation. “Before and after”
    the loo, things can change by as much as a lb!
    A big congratulations on having a great 7 days. The results will come, I promise! The other things,
    i.e., calories, water consumption, carbs we can sort out. I’m here for you. Keep going!

Love,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Joes Nonna – (have to put that in for the newbies 🙂 ) Mary, dear Mary, I’m glad to
    see you back with us! I’m elated that you had such a great time with your grand-
    children! Many congratulations on keeping Al K at bay, except for your 1 evening
    out. Your son-in-law sounds like a turd. I think I would consider getting home and
    having a drink simply because I survived a week with him might be in order. I’m
    sorry the scale wasn’t friendly when you got back, but I find it extremely hard to
    get in all the water when we travel. This will be a better week, surely. Look at it
    this way, you didn’t gain, an accomplishment in itself. I hope the IBS didn’t
    interfere with your holiday too much. I don’t suffer to the extent you do, and
    only have this kind of issue when the seasons change. I’ve just purchased a
    jar of raw, unpasteurized kimchi and sauerkraut from a site that Esnecca
    recommended. It’s excellent. Have you ever tried introducing it into your diet?
    I’ll let you know how things go.
    Be back tomorrow. I hope Hello66 is better, and I’m concerned about CanadaLiz
    and her colorectal problems. Hopefully we’ll hear something soon!

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hello all ,
    Well the Army has grown I see in my absence ? Ffffffantastic I say , welcome to all our new recruits , sounds like all we like minded people keep finding each other , which is great , I won’t answer everyone individually , but it’s great to read everyone’s stories , challenges etc . I’ll get around to everyone as time goes on , but Allie I am feeling better thank you , still not quite right in the head , can look to the left , then to the right and almost fall over , but ever so much better than I was , I certainly didn’t like the ‘absolutely unable to walk unaided bit !! ‘ when first hit with this wretched labrynthitis .
    So interesting reading through all these posts , so glad you had a good time with your daughter and the little ones Nonna Mary , reference to your SIL amused me , Allie’s ‘ turd ‘ label made me laugh , sounds like spending a few days with him would be enough for anyone to run home to spend time with Mr Al K Hole …. He would give us all the Shits or THE TURDS 😂😂😂😂
    I’ve managed to keep to the BSD fairly closely whilst I’ve been holed up due to my balance issue , have succumbed to a couple of high carb indulgences , such as a BIG baked potato with garlic butter , coleslaw , cheese , sour cream and cracked black pepper one day , and another day a BIG piece of pav with double cream , strawberries & blueberries .
    My weight has fluctuated up a pound down a pound , but still 3 kilos , or 6.6 pounds down from 1 st day weigh in on July 10 th , so I’m not too fussed by the slow progress , especially with a couple of slip ups here and there , but this is a new week , new resolve to stick to plan , so here goes .
    I actually don’t like admitting to moments of weakness as I would like to just add strength to the thread , I would love to be a great role model for everyone here , but I’ll leave that to our Leader Lizzie , she is the strong one , one to look up to and follow , meanwhile I’ll just keep trying to do my best , not to succumb to weaknesses too often !
    Message to Liz : I do hope you and Kev are travelling ok Liz , and the pain of loss is easing a little as time goes on ❤️💐& thoughts 😘😘
    Allie I made Dr M’s wife’s red cabbage sauerkraut recipe , turned out well , and I’ve enjoyed having the odd teaspoon when just needing a little something , it’s nice and crunchy , had some with roast pork and crackling last night and it was 👌!
    I’ll love and leave you all , stay strong everyone , will be back soon .
    Love from H 66 xx

• posted by Searchingrockpools
    on

Hi all, just a quick one. Does anyone know, if going under 800 per day can stop me losing? . and… I don’t mean my mind..haha I lost that years ago…
    Cheers all, I’ll wait to hear back
    Searchingrockpools

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning friends

I’m pleased to report I managed to lose what I put on over the holiday week so that’s a relief. Had a good weekend sticking to the programme and keeping busy. Made thai veg broth which was delicious but haven’t made the salmon cakes yet. Thought I do that tonight.

Well done Nonna Mary, sounds like you survived a trial with the twattish SIL! I hope you and Jovis managed to have some time to yourselves?

FFBB – sounds like you’ve been through a rough time of it but I’m glad you’re feeling a bit lighter now.

Best get ready for work, so I’ll see you all later. Wishing everyone a good day and night!

Kazz xxx

on

@searchingrockpools… 18:6 I.F is intermittent fasting. Basically I skip breakfast, have lunch at 1 pm and my tea at 6 pm. It gives my body a chance to use the stored energy (fat)

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Afternoon all (afternoon here!)

So today is the first official day of the BSD for me. I’ve spent the last week researching it, reading about it, thinking about it, planning it, shopping for it and now here we are. I’m not going to lie- I’ve also spent the last week eating and drinking everything that wasn’t nailed down in celebration of it! So I’m expecting some severe withdrawals in the next few days but I will just have to remember that it was my choice! This is a normal pattern for me- before embarking on any kind of new eating plan I make sure I fit everything in beforehand and it almost sickens me to the point where I’m glad to eat healthier. However in the past that hasn’t lasted- the craving for sugar and wine always breaks me down after a few weeks so I’m keeping fingers crossed that the cravings will settle after time.

Allie- in my head you “sound” like you are about 40! So age is definitely a number! To all those who have said they are struggling- my thoughts are with you. We are all definitely in the same damn boat! Mary sorry to hear about your turdish son in law. Families whether they be of birth or marriage are the most trying people on earth. I have had many days where I could cheerfully choke my own and many years ago made the decision to remove myself from the most toxic of them ( I think it was Allie who said she was distancing from a sister). Sometimes for your own health that needs to be done. Searchingrockpools- I also have WW scales and am very much hoping that they are not crap! Unless they are weighing me stones too heavy of course in which case I will be ditching the buggers. Sadly I very much doubt that will be the case. FFBB thanks for explaining the 18:6. I knew about intermittent fasting but was thinking this was 6 days out of 18 rather than thinking in hours. Doh! EC whats the fasting mimicking diet thingummy? Don’t know that one?

So the kitchen renovation started today and at 1pm I can say the worst of the old kitchen is out and sitting in a bedroom, waiting for someone who needs to it come and give it a new home ( there is nothing really functionally wrong with it so hopefully someone will claim it). I did manage to think ahead and boiled eggs- which I don’t normally eat- which I had for brekkie. No lunch yet but have home made tomato soup in the freezer and the microwave is still functional (in the living room!) so that’s ok. Lentil dahl for dinner. Have already put breakfast and lunch in MFP and even though I’m under 300 cals so far I’m shocked to see that its 36g of carbs! More than half just in that!! I guess tomatoes and onions are carby. Humph. I’m trying initially to stick to 50g carbs so need to be a bit more mindful.

I have shocking acid heartburn- anyone else suffer that early on?? Oh and 1.5 litres of water in so far- proud face 🙂

Hope everyone is having a grand Monday

Heather

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Heather;

I’m excited for your new beginning! You will thank yourself for all the planning that you
    have done. It is 50% of it. Sorry, I didn’t have any heartburn…Maybe the acid from
    the tomato soup?
    I hope you will enjoy this anecdote, in light of your recent week with food/booze!
    Not too long ago I was visiting a solicitor friend in substance abuse rehab. He told
    me that every single new admission, without exception, had been dropped off at
    the entrance either high or drunk, after going for that one last gasp binge! 🙂 We
    obsessive compulsive types are all the same, I think. Be sure to check in and let
    us know how it’s going. You ARE NOT going to hit that wall a few weeks in!

Allie

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Hahahaha! That made me lol properly Allie! It fits perfectly with my week scenario! What are we like? I definitely am a food/sugar addict. Never had so much liking for the booze till I met my wife a few years ago. She likes to have alcohol most nights. Before I knew it I was joining her and soon was either replacing food with wine or worse- having both!

I think the heart burn might just be another result from the last week of terrible food and drink. I am very prone to it anyway, and its a hereditary thing in my family ( as is dying because you are fat and unhealthy!) I suspect in the next few days it will straighten itself out.

I will definitely check in and let all know how I am going. Thanks for the encouraging words 🙂

Onwards and downwards dear people 🙂

H

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Heather44 – well done – drum rolls… you’re off to a flying start! I used to get heartburn a lot before starting BSD. Red wine caused it mostly or fatty things late at night. I used to take 1 tspn of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a small glass of water – instant relief.

Glad to see you back Hello66, I had to google what you’ve had. Blimey – that’s not nice at all! Pleased to see you are recovering. Lose any weight? I always look for the silver lining… any illness, I jump on the scales!

Searchingrockpools – I don’t know the answer as to whether you will stop losing weight if you go below 800. All the stuff we’ve been taught over the years has been completely turned upside down since reading about BSD. I know the belief was at one time that if you didn’t eat enough, your metabolism would slow down and enter starvation mode or something and so no weight loss! I do think it would be difficult to sustain less that 800 calories for any length of time. But if you fluctuated over a week, say 1000 one day, 600 the next, then 900, then 700 so you had the equivalent of 800/day over a week, I guess that would work. I’m sure someone will be able to answer your question.

See you tomorrow
    Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz xx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think the fluctuations over a week is exactly how it works if you just use the book meal plans, I seem to remember something in the book suggesting that 800 should be the average for the week, so if you don’t feel like any more one day after 500 calories or so, don’t fret about it, just make sure when you do next feel extra hungry you have a 1000 calories day to balance it. I would be interested to hear how you go on with the Prolon diet EC, I did some looking into it myself, but chose a different fasting mimicking diet that was more closely allied still to BSD. Essentially for 5 days, while still eating 800 calories, you just restrict both your carbs (to 40g or less) and protein (to 20g or less) and only eat plant based foods. I may do this again in a couple of weeks, as I need a quick reboot at the moment after far too many indulgences over my holiday and party filled summer.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Heather so good to hear you got straight into your first official day of the BSD , after all your research and planning , so write this up in your diary as DAY 1 of the rest of your life to a healthier you , something to Cheer about and Congratulate yourself for starting 👏👏👌
    I had a laugh at how you’ve spent the last week , on your eating and drinking frenzy , your last FEST before committing , so many of us have been been there done that , I certainly have prior to earlier efforts to lose weight and become a new and healthier version of me …. This time around Doctor’s warning of weight gain possible cause of pre-diabetes , which will progress to full blown Type 2 , Insulin shots etc ., had me thinking a little bit more seriously , I don’t want to go down that path if I can do something to perhaps prevent it !
    Just imagine ….. your kitchen and YOU will look fantastic after the Renos , just imagine you are going to get rid of / chuck out , all those old bits and pieces that aren’t making you look or feel your best as you have done with the old kitchen , it’s being pulled apart and the worst of it is now sitting in a bedroom waiting for someone to come and give it a it a new home ….. YOU are going to give YOU a new home , one that you will be proud of , one that people will comment on , as they will your new kitchen .
    The new YOU will be like your new kitchen , will be more functional , will be easy to work in , will certainly look better , you’ll wish you had done the ‘ renos ‘ earlier , & it will give you a sense of pride when completed , so here’s to successful renos all around .
    The kitchen Reno may not take quite as long as your personal Reno ., but remember a great job may take longer but will be well worth it .
    Bit tricky that your wife likes to enjoy a wine most nights , I came up with a plan and bought myself an expensive Crystal wine glass / goblet , which I fill with ‘ crystal clear pure Aqua ‘ , my darling fills his with wine ( which I remind him is Satan’s P… , & looks like canine P… ), and on a good night I can successfully feel quite superior and smug when I don’t succumb , & ; go rushing for another glass to fill it with Satan’s P… !
    I’ve a strict rule that booze will never filthy my special glass , but do admit that I’ve succumbed to the odd one or two from other glasses over time , but it has been a helpful ploy more often than not .
    My OH doesn’t feel he is drinking on his own , we still clink glasses and I enjoy the successes . I sometimes have a slice of lime or lemon , or cucumber in mine , but I like to see the clearness of the water , and imagine my stomach lining would look much clearer also , instead of the pickling booze has probably given it over time .
    Look forward to hearing how it all plans out H 😊

Kazzzzzz thank you for your kind words , it hasn’t been nice but thankfully it’s something that is resolving and nothing too damaging long term !
    I have a friend with MS who is becoming less ambulant , and is slowly unable to do things she has always rushed around doing with ease , and this will slowly get worse for her , & another dear friend’s partner has Parkinson’s D . , and last time we dined out with them , she had to cut his food up for him as his trembling has made it almost impossible for him to manage alone , a very dignified man , don’t think he will be dining out in public much from here on in , they’ve just put a stair lift in , a fantastic idea , as they were dreading the next major change in their lives was to have to sell the house they adore , as he is unable to negotiate the stairs now , and they were sleeping in one of their downstairs living rooms .
    Oh doesn’t she get off track !
    And yes there was a silver lining , my weight plummeted initially , but I knew it would be temperary , and it was , and it has crept up a bit in recent days now I’m not so nauseous and my appetite has returned .
    Weight today is realistic I feel , and my total weight loss is 7.4 pounds , 3.7 kilos since July 10 ., not much by some standards but I’m a slow loser , so I’m happy with that 😊

As you said to searchingrockpools so much has changed as far as diet and Nutrition is concerned now , but the idea of eating less one day , and more the next is probably the way to go , as Mixnmatch also said , if she has a day of 500 Cals , and is hungry , make up for it the next day with more .
    Many years ago I’ve nursed people who were Hospitalised when on 500 calorie per day reduction diets , as it was deemed necessary at that time !
    ( I’m an old timer so have certainly lived through many changes in most areas of life 😊)
    Do hope you are going well Kazz , great to see how people come into this thread wanting support and answers , and end up giving wonderful support and answers to others ! Love it , love you all , my fellow warriors , may we keep marching forward together as one !
    And yes we’re all in the same boat too , when we end up lost and out at sea , as long as we keep our eyes on the shore we will survive .
    H 66 xx

• posted by EC
    on

happy Tuesday everyone!
    SO many comments…GO team!

Mary, your mum sounds just like mine was (I think that generation were terribly afraid of any of their offspring thinking that they were “too big (or small:)) for our boots”)..I would get comments like “You’re getting road across the beam” even though until my 40s (bar pregnancies) I was never above 58kg (just on 9 stone…and mostly well below that!!)
    Also…do you think that your difficult SIL may suffer depression? We have a friend who was always grumpy and monosyllabic with people until he was put on anti-depressants…he’s hardly garrulous now, but much sweeter!

Glad you’re feeling better H66..and well done with your wine strategy..I may just have to adopt that one! (though this fortnight has been fine…though my partner has been interstate..so Heather44 I know exactly where you’re coming from…we are social creatures and it is a ritual…just not a healthy one when too regular!…and well done on your flying start (and “remember to breathe” through the kitchen renos
    mine is not a new kitchen…just a new, fully insulated floor…but wonderful!! still awaiting the order of beautiful tiles for my splashback

Mixnmatch…the prolon “fast” is going well despite mourning my milky tea (and a caffeine withdrawal headache last night). Interesting all the %%…Prolon is actually relatively high carb and fat and very low protein…but today I’m in moderate ketosis so obviously working…was your fmd protocol one you made up yourself?
    there’s a very interesting programme on SBS at the moment called “the obesity myth” where the doctor is convinced re the genetic factors in developing overweight/obesity…but his (successful) dietary interventions are similar to BSD
    onwards!!!
    xxxx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I had a look around the Internet and found a protocol designed by someone else that seemed to gel well with the BSD principles which I was already sold on. I think he was experimenting on himself with the protocol, rather than pay for diet packs and also keeping the carb lower. I can try to find the link again if anyone is interested, although I also modified his protocol to make it even more BSD friendly. I lost over half a stone so it was pretty effective at pure weight loss, although a lot of that will have been glycogen and came back on again pretty quickly afterwards. Meals on it did tend to be a bit samey, there are only so many ways you can get 800 calories plant based with adequate levels of fat and protein. I did miss dairy a lot, meat less so.

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Good morning campers!!

Well the sun is shining and it’s a beautiful if somewhat chilly day. Definitely a good start to day 2.

Well day 1 went well. I had boiled eggs for breakfast, ditched the tomato soup after finding out the horrific number of carbs in it and had broccoli soup instead. Lentil dahl for dinner followed by a few spoonfuls of plain Greek yoghurt. Here’s the thing though- I struggled to use up the calories while staying within the carb allowance of 50g. Ended at at 51g of carbs and 182 calories left over. Yikes! I’m thinking it might be because I’m veggie so most of my staples have carbs in (was semi vegan previously but happy to give that up for now to have the satisfying feeling of day in my stomach! I can always return to it later.) However I can honestly say I didn’t feel hungry or deprived. I did feel a bit- off! But more like I was expecting to feel hungry so it was more mental than anything else. No massive hunger pangs or problems. Feeling good today, no hunger or cravings (apart from when i noticed a bar of frys cream on the table and was desperate to eat it but walked away and have no feelings towards it at all now!) So far just coffee, will keep breakfast to look forward to.

Hello66 I LOVE the idea of a kitchen makeover at the same time as a body makeover! Told my OH that this morning and we both laughed and agreed that was the way to go. Also like the idea of a fancy glass to have water in so the other person isn’t drinking alone. I think I will have to adopt that idea too!

I looked up the Prolon fast yesterday as I had never heard of it before. The results certainly sound interesting. I looked at what seemed to be a blog by a guy called Bob (not sure if that’s the same one that Mix match looked at) and he seemed to get good results without actually buying the products. I take it the BSD is also considered to be a mimicking fasting programme?

Our internet is patchy just now because of the kitchen work so I’m using 4G on my phone which is also patchy as we live quite rural. So I may not be able to connect regularly but will be sending positive thoughts into the ether regardless 😊

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very good morning, all! It’s 5:30 a.m. here, I’ve been awake since 1:00, so not much
    sleep going on. I thought about a desperate glass of wine around 2:00, then remembered
    that there’s nothing here except O/H’s red, which is so foul that it tastes like he made
    it down in the basement, bits of skin and all! So, disaster averted! 🙂

Hello66, I’m very happy to hear that you’re beginning to feel a little better. I was
    a physician’s assistant to a neurological surgeon for a decade, learned a lot, most
    of which I’ve retained. You were a nurse, also, so we were both probably under-
    standing all too well what needed to be ruled out, diagnostically. Really GLAD to have
    you back!
    It IS extremely hard to see friends with declining health, isn’t it? It is disconcerting also
    to look at my husband, who, despite what he has been thru this year, looks like a
    robust old oak tree, instead of a man with stage 3 heart failure. Now, if only the
    t.v. advertising would stop running commercials every night reminding me that “if
    you have heart failure, there’s no guarantee that you’ll have another tomorrow”, I
    think I would sleep better at night! 🙂

Nonna Mary, Me? A psychologist??? HaHa! I might qualify to be a SUBJECT in a
    case study, that’s about it! Your observation did make me stop and consider if I’m
    “talking too much” here, and should perhaps sit down and be quiet for awhile…

Have a great day, everyone!

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie, please don’t stop posting. I love your posts…perhaps I meant philosopher? You have a way of explaining things that make it clear and amusing at the same time! Sorry you haven’t slept…I have suffered with insomnia for a while, but lately I am doing really well. No idea why!

The good news is today I lost a pound. Now that might not sound like much…but to me it is an improvement. I am counting carbs and protein this week and see how well I get on. I have set my first goal also…until now I was just taking every day as it comes. So I have decided I want to lost 5 pounds in the next month. I don’t have the metabolism of other people so I know it will take a while. I am content.

Everyone, is doing so well. Heather, well done for starting and being determined. I think I am right, that you were more or less teetotal? You can do that again! As I said to my better half, I am doing this so I will be around with you for longer. At first he ate bread, potatoes etc then gradually cut out potatoes. He still has a sandwich and chocolate, but has lost weight. If he wants a drink it’s up to him…only I can make me drink, so I am in control. It’s a great feeling.

EC, my son in law has always been a bit rude and selfish. So I don’t think he is depressed…just an arse turd! He is father to a 3 year old and 1 year old and still does things wrong with them. He never listens and never learns, but talk about cycling or planes and he is there. He actually bought beer and didn’t offer my Jovis one! As I say…just so rude. Thankfully I don’t have to see him much.

Searchingrockpools, I haven’t heard of anyone not losing (not weight) whilst on this diet. I think your weight has to go fairly low for that to happen. I had my bits taken away so it’s not going to happen to me anyway.

I think that is all for now. Take care everyone, and a special take care to those in America with the foul weather they are having.

Love to you Liz and our Kev. Hope to hear from you soon. Miss you loads.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, Mary. The last thing I would ever want to do is be perceived as a loud, boorish
    American! When I’ve been out of the country, I’m always embarrassed by a certain element
    of traveler who disrespects the wait staff in restaurants, and thinks that their food choices
    are superior to all others. I remember one occasion when we were in Mexico, and I
    asked (in Spanish!) that our table be changed because I just couldn’t tolerate the sense
    of entitlement. Yuck!!!
    A pound is a pound! That’s great. LindaA has posted a great formula for determining
    the ideal amount of protein that we need each day. About 18 yrs ago when I was
    approaching 50, I made a push to get in control of my weight. All I knew to do then
    was to severely calorie restrict, I went down to 500-600 calories a day for 5 months.
    I was rewarded with a 60 lb loss, but then my hair started to fall out, and I had to put a
    stop to it. Linda’s formula is the following: Ingest 1-1.5 grams of protein for every kg
    of ideal body weight. I’ve done so, and had no problems this time around. I found
    that extremely helpful. Hope you do too.

Much love,

Allie

on

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Mary, 1 lb is a great loss, especially as it is hard for you to lose. I have said it before, and I will say it again, your SIL sounds like a total tool! Although tools are useful so maybe arsehole will suffice!

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Day 2 of my reboot.

Not really much to report. I am sticking with the 1200 calorie daily average, and monitoring my carbs.

I am using an elastic band on my wrist and every time I am tempted to stray off my plan I am twanging it.

One day at a time.

FFBB X

• posted by alliecat
    on

FFBB – The rubber band trick – Brilliant! I’m definitely taking this on. Nothing like a little self inflicted abuse to keep us on track!

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Just wanted to share this with you all. As you know I have found it difficult to lose weight even when being strict. I know I don’t move enough and am trying to address this. I have however changed shape. My stomach no longer bulges from just below my boobs…it still bulges, but further down.

ANYWAY….today I was walking to the shop, when my shoelace came undone. No biggy you might think!….But I bent down and tied it without a problem. I haven’t been able to bend at the waist since 2010….I am so pleased. I just want to share that even if the scales aren’t working and the tape measure seems the same….you can change shape.

So it is worth continuing…drink the water (not Satan’s Piss) or the tea, watch the carbs (Thanks Allie I am now watching the protein too), and count the calories. If I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck peoples.

Love from
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yay, Mary! These are the NSV (non-scale victories) that I keep reading about. Thanks for
    the sentiments about the 2 hurricanes in the past 2 weeks. Today I got in touch with
    my recently deceased Mother’s 94 year old childhood friends in Florida. Thankfully
    they are safe, but have no power, like 2 million others there. Very worrisome!

Hugs,

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Help me please…

I have not used MyFitnessPal for a while and because I am now logging, protein, carbs, calories and water…I thought I would give it a go. I have an excellent book which I usually use which is a bit of a fiddle.

I used my book and worked out the cals, carbs etc….then added them to the fitnesspal…only to get TWO very different results. According to MFP I have only had 335 calories! How accurate is this app? Should I trust my book or the app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Goodness Mary- if you are stuffed so am I! I have been using only MFP for the last couple of days but never used it before. I have no idea how accurate it is, I just know a lot of people who use it. I had calories left over yesterday and same again today. Which is now making me feel uncomfortably suspicious!!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Heather44….MFP says I have only had 335 calories today and I had Steak and Sea Bass for dinner with a salad! I think it is definately not right about a lot of stuff.

Well done for keeping on this WOL.

Love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Shit. Shitshitshitshitshit. I know some other folks use Fat Secret but I’ve no experience with that. Sigh. Oh well I guess the scales will tell the tale next week- if I’m up instead of down I know it’s wrong. Might look at something else to use in the meantime.

And thanks! I was congratulating myself that it wasn’t as difficult as I expected but now I might have the answer as to why! 😀

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

If you are only using it for counting calories it is probably correct. I have put in very specific foods. My book says I have eaten 515 calories…so if you are usually under, you wont be over 800…if that makes sense lol.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Yes I see what you mean! I will be interested to hear what everyone else has been using. If there is something more reliable than MFP or Mr Google then I want to know! I’ve set MFP up to count calories, carbs, fats and proteins so it would be nice to have something that counted all of that too.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I agree….we really need a like button on this forum!

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Haha we really do!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The blog I found was on a website called forever free from and is by a guy called Benjamin, so not the same. He obviously had access to a full on suite of medical tests while doing his fmd and also had a ‘buddy’ doing it along with him. One of his conclusions was that he was eating too many carbs, and that next time he would try sticking to less than 50g which is why I took that as my target. It was also around the level of carbs I stuck to while doing the 8 weeks so I was comfortable with it. As regards logging foods and stuff, I can’t help with either MFP or fat secret as I have only ever used Cron-o-meter. It needs a bit of thought as a UK based logger, as it is US based and foods are not what is available locally in the main, but it served me well while I was logging, and links to my Withings for activity and sleep data.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thanks MnM.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

[post removed]

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Perhaps in your support on here you can leave off the comments on particular nationalities.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi just jumping on to comment on MFP – I think users can add their own entries which may get picked up for everyone. So I think the bar code function is fairly accurate (and you can compare with the label anyway) but the ‘one cup’ etc ones may not be for the carbs etc as the details are not always filled in. I’ve also noticed ‘steak’ seems very low calories according to MFP! But I am also generally losing weight, so it probably isn’t too inaccurate xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning friends and a happy hump day, being Wednesday… 🙂

Nonna Mary – that’s fab news, 1lb off. I am experiencing exactly the same thing, my torso area feels “thinner” from inside and defo doesn’t feel solid like before. A nice thought that the visceral fat is hopefully disappearing!

I must admit, I use a paper food diary, carbs and cals pocket counter book and a calculator to log my stuff. The old fashioned way, but I enjoy my ritual of sitting down with a cuppa and working it out. It’s part of my routine.

I’ll pop in later…

Kazzums xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, friends!

Good grief, what a way to start the day, being censored by a lurker here. I love you
    guys, I think you’re all fabulous, intelligent, caring women. As such, I have confidence
    that you understand that as AN AMERICAN MYSELF, I’m eminently qualified to make
    observations about the way we sometimes present ourselves to the world in a less
    than attractive, entitled way. Thanks EC, for the lovely compliment!

Kazzi – I enjoy keeping a food diary the old fashioned way, also! There is something
    very centering about putting it all down in your own hand??

Heather44 – I hope the reno is going well, both yours and the kitchen! A great analogy,
    H66. I had the same thought, but you were the one to express it so beautifully.

Wishing everyone a great day.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Alliecat I am a regular but not frequent poster. Only post when have something to assist others. Even if I read and didn’t post, the intent of this site is to use it as chosen to assist with the BSD for those following it. It is not appropriate to denigrate a nationality. I ask that posts do not do that.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sorry you feel that way, Jennifromtheblock. But reasonable people can agree to disagree.
    In my judgement, this particular thread wouldn’t have the huge following that it enjoys
    if it confined itself to strictly discussing the BSD. I invite you to be a participant here.
    You just might come to love it, as we do.
    Best wishes,
    Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Gooood Moooorrrrnnniiinnnng people of the world.

I love you no matter where you live, what colour you are, what gender you love, how much money you have or what God you worship, and again don’t worship. I have no way of knowing what you look like and that again does not matter.

We are on this forum because we all have the same goal…to be healthier, and therefore slimmer. We all have problems and this forum supports us all.

Jennifromtheblock…I think you misunderstood the comments made here and also the meaning behind them. We enjoy the fact that we are such a disparate family, you are more than welcome to become a member.

Please don’t take this as a personal attack, it is just me trying to educate you to our members. I think we may all be ageing hippies there is so much love here.

Lots of love, take care,
    Nonna Mary xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello Peeps,

Thank you all for your comments on My Fitness Pal… I do prefer to write my foods in a book and use a calculator, I just thought it might be easier to use an app. I had calculated cals etc from the packet and MFP disagreed with them. I think I will continue with my little book!

I weigh everything! Even my poached egg as I don’t think everyone agrees on what a ‘large’ egg is. The ones we buy now in the supermarkets would have been classed as medium 30 years ago!

Yesterday I managed to eat within a 6 hour window and drank loads of water. The result was that I peed more in the night than usual, but I feel more comfortable today. Fingers crossed I can do it again today. I contacted the ‘Moderators’ to ask if we could have a ‘like’ button. I had to use the report post tab…as I didn’t know how else to do it. lol. I hope I haven’t got myself into trouble!

Anyway, I am really feeling the love today. Keep the faith in yourselves and keep posting.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mary, my love, what a lovely way to describe us! I absolutely adore the image of
    aging hippies. Your insights and wisdom are once again an asset to us all.
    I nominate YOU as our official “Earth Mother”!

Lots of love,

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.