New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Morning dear people!

Day three. No weakening as yet thank goodness as I think that would really be the kiss of death. Food yesterday looked pretty much the same as Monday (using things up from the freezer!) other than I had yoghurt and strawberries for breakfast. Yum. I did wake up in the night and felt hungry for the first time, but didn’t wake up because I was hungry if you know what I mean. Feeling a bit peckish now but it is nearly the usual time for breakfast so its not worrying me at all.

I’m not sure what I will do re MFP. I double checked a couple of calorie counts using Google- for example a Babybel came in at the same as MFP but broccoli came in at way less. So who knows. I might continue to use it rather than have to get used to a new one all over again. As Mary rightly pointed out yesterday, its all in a context and if there are generally calories left over how far wrong can you go! When I was with Scottish Slimmers (similar to WW for our international friends!) they used checks which was also loosely calorie based (25 calories to 1 check) so I have a fair idea of calorie contents. Its the carbs that I don’t know how to work out so easily so definitely need something that helps with that.

Sleep has also been elusive for me my insomniac friends- more to do with ankle pain than anything else (short story is that when I broke my ankle I had surgery to insert metal plates and bolts- those are now trying to free themselves from my ankle bone and leaning heavily on my nerves causing immense pain. They can’t be removed for another year either as the bone would just collapse. Happy days.) Its a shame as one of the things I had looked forward to was easier sleep- previously I had a bad habit of eating too much in the evening and going to bed with a very full tummy. However it will all fall into place I am sure and as I am off work at the moment and pretty housebound I don’t need very much energy for the most part.

Once I get going on here I do tend to ramble! It much be all the good listening ears :-). Jennifer I really hope you didn’t take offence at the discussion on nationalities. Scots are often pegged as whisky drinking kilt wearing lunatics and of course that’s a stereotype. But stereotypes do exist for a reason, and generally no one wants to be thought of as that! I think that is my take on what that discussion was about more than bashing any nationality in particular. That’s my tuppence put in for what its worth.

Happy Wednesday (whether it be day or night wherever you are!)

Heather

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie, I am busy tie dying my t shirts, and lighting joss sticks whilst listening to Woodstock! Peace man peace!

Heather, ramble away, we all do! Wow, your ankle sounds incredibly painful. Could you try seated exercises (if you feel like it)? Well done on your determination. I am buggered if I am going to give up now I have started and I am a slow loser!

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary (Earth Mother extraordinaire)
    xxxxx

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Well after 54 weeks on here and posting on just about every thread I bow out. Perhaps not me who needs educating on forum protocols.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I am with Jenni from the block. Out and out racism is stupid, careless and at least in my country, illegal.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Dear….I think we will draw a close on this discussion now.

My apologies if you were offended.

Nonna Mary

• posted by asecondautumn
    on

Hello, lovely folk!

It feels like it’s been a lot longer, but thank you for the great welcome last week. I have to say, it’s been a rocky and rubbish week and I’ve got some big stressors coming up in the next couple of days – I’ve probably picked a daft time to make a big life change but perhaps it’s better to jump in with both feet when life is horrible in the hope that things might get better in the long run… who knows.

Anyway – week 1 = 3lb off !!

I’ve been playing with new non-alcoholic ‘treat’ drinks that hit the spot at the end of the day without adding calories or carbs – I find I’m quite fond of rosewater*, and a few drops in low-cal lemonade or fizzy water from the sodastream makes for a really nice drink to end the day.

* Blame that nice Nadya off the telly – she recommended: http://www.petalsofthevalley.co.uk/shop/4586498337

• posted by alliecat
    on

Asecondautumn, Congratulations on your first week results! That’s fantastic. I
    was hoping you would check in. I feel positively maternal toward all the newbies
    here, so it’s great to hear from you. I like your strategy for non-alcoholic cocktails…
    I think we can all find reasons to put off making a big change, stress, etc. Sometimes
    we just have to “Do It”! Keep in touch and keep us posted. Best wishes for a great
    week!

Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Allie just a quick one , extra love to you as you lie awake worrying about your husband and his Stage 3 heart failure , a special sleeping potion coming your way , a potion that will allow you to drift off in these times of insomnia …..
    Thing is you just imagine you have taken a dose of the potion , then all you have to do whilst it takes effect is lie eyes not tightly shut , just flickering if you like , and you then remember and relive any of the many many beautiful times you have shared , each time you wake , pull another memory from the millions you have stored over your years together , and continue this process over and over each time you find yourself lying awake …. Change from loving warm loving fuzzy memories , to funny silly times you’ve shared , I guarantee you will go back to sleep with a smile on your face and much love in your heart โค๏ธ
    Sending heaps of the potions right now , so you can get started right away Allie , can be used any night p.r.n.
    Just rushing in , rushing out , time poor , but good vibes to everyone , back tomoz ,
    Love H 66 xx

• posted by bloodsugardiet (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi! I’d like to remind everyone of our posting guidelines, in particular the “no bigoted speech or terms”. This is a public forum and we want to be inclusive to all nationalities and not perpetuate stereotypes and prejudices about who someone may be based solely on their location. Thank you for understanding. โ˜บ๏ธ

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Mary, it seems that we have been “reported”! ๐Ÿ™‚ Unbelievable….I think your heart is
    as big as the world, and I trust that you know what is in mine. As the saying goes, just
    Carry On!

Hugs,
    allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

It would seem Allie, that you can’t be dismissive of anyone…even yourself lol. Let’s put it to bed now eh?

I had better stop moaning about my SIL too! lol

Silly Nonna
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

100% agree, Mary! It’s a beautiful sunny day here, and I intend to make the most of it!
    There’s a nip of autumn in the air. Time to get out and do some walking!!!

Allie

• posted by EC
    on

and I, in the antipodes, am heading bedwards…knuckles rapped!!
    I always thought that self deprecation was an endearing trait!…have a lovely day lovelies while I zzzz

• posted by KazzUK
    on

[post removed]

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sleep well, EC! I’m with you on the self deprecating humor. It’s a great antidote to
    taking ourselves too seriously, me thinks. I’m still having fantasies about your lovely
    kitchen down under, mug of tea in hand. I hope you’ll enjoy this….I used to refer to
    the pouch of skin below my navel as my “kangaroo pouch”! Only about 1″ left now.
    It’s the hardest bit to shift! ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Allie Cat, Joes Nonna — is the problem Allie Cat’s post about rude holiday folk? I read it as ALL nationalities have rude members in their society — as we all know is sadly true. I’m American and I was not offended.
    Jenni from the Block and Bigeater — don’t leave or step away! I have enjoyed both of your posts and insights. This thread has always been a bit “out there” but I think there is an amazing amount of love and acceptance here.

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Wow re racism- first time in my life I’ve even been near being called that- angry about that!

But more importantly dear people- some cravings here. Help! I would kill for a baked potato and a nice bar of chocolate. And obviously some wine. It will pass I know and we are heading out just shortly but its momentarily got a grip on me ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Heather, I too have felt the need today. I was upset earlier too! You really don’t want a baked potato….think of it as a huge turd that has been pulled from the ground…as for chocolate its just a pile of sugar and lard. As for the wine…if you really can’t do without, buy a teeny tiny bottle from the supermarket…I know that isn’t enough for me so I have to abstain completely.

Good luck.

Love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Californiagirl. This is a grotesque misunderstanding. I’m dumbfounded by it.
    As Americans, we celebrate freedom of speech, as outlined in our Bill of Rights, and
    so far we don’t have have the iron fist of government dictating to us what hate speech is.
    I can’t imagine a nation ruled by progressive views of what “hate speech” is. As they put it
    on the New Hampshire license plate, “live free or die”. I’m down with that….
    Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I really think we need a ‘like’ or ‘thumbs up’ button!

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by asecondautumn
    on

I’m really quite astonished that anyone has taken any comments here as *racist* – it’s especially tricky as we’re not even able to see which posts were the ones causing offence but I can hazard a guess, and that’s frankly daft. Surely even if there was something being said against a country, that would be a comment on a nationality, not a race?

Coming as I do from England, and being well used to self-deprecation, nothing on here has caused me to even wince, let alone hover near the report button. At this risk of attracting similar ire, surely we all have bigger battles to fight than squabbling about posts that weren’t ever intended to cause offence?

Hey ho. Back to food – thank you for the kind comments, and it made me all smiley to realise that someone was looking out for me! Thank you, Allie, you’re a star. Heather 44 – I get you on the cravings front. I’m off out tonight to our local pub for quiz night, and I usually partake of a nice tea, my fave being one of their ‘starters’ of creamy baked camembert with little toasts and onion relish, and a large bucket of red wine. Soda water with a wedge of lemon is going to feel a little thin by comparison, but hopefully one day, I will too.

If anyone in the Midlands hears an earth tremor tonight, it’s probably just my stomach!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Asecondautumn, have a great time at the quiz. Jovis and I love a pub quiz but we haven’t been to one lately. Have to get that sorted.

Hope you win.

Lots of Love
    Nonna Mary xxx

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Just a quickie.

I was so tempted by pizza earlier I broke my elastic band and it pinged across the supermarket! I have another but I will snag some off my postie when I see him.

I didn’t buy the pizza BTW *winning*.

FFBB X

• posted by alliecat
    on

Asecondautumn! You’re a delight! I’ve been eating raw, unpasteurized kimchi and other
    raw, unpasteurized cabbage products. of late. Thank God I’m home alone during the
    day. I’m glad that no one is around to witness the “jet propelled” fallout of these raw
    food experiments! I’m in your corner! Carry on!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB you do make me laugh…the idea of you pinging away at your rubber band! Well done on resisting.

Allie, I heard there were strong winds in America….I just didn’t realise it was up your way (no offence meant to ANYONE). I am getting scared to post on here.

Love Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Thank you all for the support! You will be pleased to know that I made it through! We went to Morrisons and I have ended up with hummus and salad for dinner which is a much loved favourite of mine. No wine (not even the wee bottle Mary- like you it would never have been enough!) and no chocolate. Interestingly I only felt pangs later in the day and possibly when I was dwelling on the ridiculous and frankly defamatory comments from earlier in the day. Very unfair and frustrating and worse when you can do nothing about it. However worth observing that cravings came on the back of those thoughts, underlining once more what I already knew- I’m a very emotional eater. And when I say that I don’t just mean if I’m stressed or angry. If I’m happy- I eat. If I’m sad- I eat. If I’m pissed off- I fucking eat!!!!

Anyway at that I will go and enjoy my dinner. Have a great evening everyone.

Much love

H

PS Allie I hadn’t realised that you were anywhere near those hurricanes- how terrifying!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well done Heather. Enjoy your hummous and salad.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Hello! What a refreshingly honest you lot are! I was drawn to the original post because alcohol and me don’t mix well together any more. A glass or three of wine, and it takes about 4 days to feel human again. This, from a former hard working, hard drinking policewoman! Well at the tender age of 57, I have decided on a change of lifestyle. My nemesis is dairy – all types of cheese, cream and Greek yoghurt. And my pint of choice – milk! I tried Atkins as it allowed cheese and cream, and although I gave up sugar and all carbs with the exception of green veg and salad, I lost precisely nothing but my sense of humour! I started a Paleo diet at the beginning of September and have lost about 4kg. I have also gone from being a lazy house-mouse to walking an average of 10,000 steps per day. So far, so good. But today, I feel bloated, miserable and am craving a cheese sandwich and a glass of ice-cold milk. It would mean a walk to the Co-op and it’s bloody cold out with the high winds ( I live right on the coast with nothing between me and the Port of Amsterdam )…..but heyho. I am trying hard to talk myself out of it….HELP!!

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Bluebell don’t do it! You are doing so well no matter what eating plan you are following. Hang in there, you are doing brilliant. A cheese sandwich would probably lead to even more bloating. Do what Mary told me earlier- imagine a big cheesy turd (that did make me laugh in my moment of crisis!) If that doesn’t put you off nothing will ๐Ÿ™‚

No doubt others with more experience of this WOE will chip in with great advice but I can tell you I am the queen of cravings- and of giving in to them. Never has it made me happy, only more miserable and self loathing. I am damn sure you deserve better than that!!!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello Bluebell and welcome.

Your are doing so very very well, try not to sabotage it now. Having said that, you can have the milk and a small piece of cheese. Just remember to count these in your totals. The bread of course is a no no.

You have definately regained your sense of humour and I look forward to more posts from you. We love a laugh here.

Love Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

good morning all
    So much for a good sleep…woke to laserlight and washing racks flying about my verandah in high winds…..likewise re Allie, didn’t realise you were close…this is just wind, not the tail or any end of a hurricane so good thoughts going your way!! Such disturbing weather….though as I took my early morning cuppa to bed, watched my hardy neighbours on the track walking dogs and cycling to work! (times like this I LOVE working from home!!)

So, it seems it was my post that caused offence …and yes, spellcheck, I live in Australia!!!…(post was removed).

In fact I was just concurring with Allie that all nations have their share of the less than optimal residents as well as the truly delightful!! Ours is all the better (despite our govt’s appalling policies on refugees) becoming better and better due to effects of decades of multiculturalism, but there are those that would have it otherwise…I’m certainly not amongst them.
    and also, like Allie I presumed that gently denigrating my own would be perceived as tongue in cheek..ah well

However, who knows what triggers people’s particular sensitivities. Its also currently a hard time in this currently as again our weak govt wouldn’t do the proper thing and pass the marriage equality act through parliament, but rather have spent millions on a “postal survey”..releasing a whole lot of vitriol…On the plus side..a rally FOR equality saw app 30,000 people march last weekend…a huge number for a geographically large but sparsely populated land!

So…I was planning to let this just wash over, but when I woke to find my blood pressure really high I realised that it had got to me….didn’t like you, Heather cause crving…but our bodies will always take on the stress. PLUS
    The 1kg that was gone yesterday is back!!…how can that be when yesterday;s calories were under 600?? FFS!!

Now forwards!! welcome bluebell 50!. Well DONE Heather 44 and great to see you back Aseconautumn

Hopefully my 1kg will run away again today as I try to be a little more zen…….hmmmm

• posted by Hello 66
    on

I just had a laugh at those kind people thinking of Allie in the high winds where she is , think Nonna just mentioned she had heard about high winds where Allie is after her comment about how glad she was alone as she was jet propelling her very own human ‘ winds ‘ / gases all over the place caused by her sauerkraut indulgences .
    Can imagine there would be hydrogen oxygen nitrogen and of course smelly methane all over the place no doubt !
    Erin then commented as well , thinking she was perhaps on the tail end of a hurricane , no just her own butt end blowing a bit I believe .
    Anyway dear people she said the other day she is fine where she is , certainly my thoughts and love go out to all those who ARE adversely affect by these shocking weather events !
    I’ll REITERATE here that I’m certainly not making light of the shocking circumstances , just explaining where this weather confusion started .
    Just to be sure to be sure , I’ll say no more …..
    FFBB I felt that ping ! Ouch !! I just love that rubber band idea , I’m going to need one today as I’m going to lunch with a friend who usually tries to attempt me to self sabotage .
    She is a bigger girl ( old girl ) than I am , is a very dear friend , but it is something she does , many times over time , as we’ve both attempted to lose weight over time .
    She is on medication for her Type 2 , having started out diet alone a few years ago , & would benefit from this 8 weeks BSD , but is not prepared to go there just now .
    Im trying to refrain from suggesting she is not prepared yet to put in the effort as I feel that’s my assumption only , each person has to make that decision when the time is right , but having just had her oral medication increased , I did discreetly suggest that it may be a good idea , as I’m sure she doesn’t want to end up injecting Insulin !
    She laughed and said she hoped they have creme brรปlรฉe where we are lunching , it was on their menu last time she visited that restaurant !
    I have to say I love creme brulee , but I’m going to rigidly stick to my guns and say absolutely no dessert !!!
    She is a zero Coke drinker so there won’t be a chance we will be drinking wine which is good , i’ve talked to her about aspartame , the nasty in sugar free drinks , and Dr MM view on sugar free drinks , weight gain etc ., but that’s her addiction and she has to face that one herself .
    Can’t think what Nonna Mary may liken creme brulee to , but I’m sure it’s something I don’t want to put in my mouth ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    So Heather , & Bluebell congrats for staying strong , we all face challenges here , but we can all rise to the occasion I know , mostly we are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for at times .
    Love and hugs to everyone ,
    H 66 xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, my lovelies, I’m just closing up shop before turning in for the night. Just wanted to
    tell you all how much you mean to me. What an insane day! How can I be controversial?
    My heart has nothing in it but love for all of you!

H66 – I will take on your beautiful thoughts when I struggle with sleep tonight. I DO
    have a lifetime of happy memories to review. All we really have is today. I must
    remember that!

Welcome, Bluebell! We are a “politically incorrect” family here, just jump in, enjoy our
    wit and wisdom, our trials and tribulations, and most of all, our support of each other.
    Any food that tempts you, Mary can create an image for you that will make it totally
    unappealing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Night, all. Let’s make tomorrow a more positive day!

“controversial” Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Good morning my lovelies….Now, I don’t want to be a voice of criticism here, but there has been far too much frivolity. Too many discussions about peoples nether region problems. Allie’s wind, is of her own making! She has to live with it. We have had discussions about piles, periods and sexual abuse! Erin, how naughty of you to say anything less than positive! I will have you dishonourably dismissed from our army! Let us put this unfortunate incident to bed and continue with the following rules…

a) no talk of bottom burps, riding the red tidal wave, droopy boobs, saggy bums
    b) no effing blinding or other swear words
    c) under no circumstances try to be funny or tongue in cheek.

I implore you to ignore the above rules and stay your wonderful, funny, arsey, militant, creative, effing fantastic people!

Feel the love everyone.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Good morning ladies, and thank you for your welcomes and support. I’m not sure if it was the lousy weather or the analogy of the cheese sandwich and smelly poo that made me stay on the straight and narrow, but, heyho, it worked! Heck, I baulk at clearing up hamster poo. My dad had type 1, so I need to behave myself. I can never stand the thought of breakfast and wake up with hangover so bad sometimes that I lie in bed wondering just what the hell I was drinking last night!! The answer, is nothing alcoholic. Two strong coffees normally sort it out, but I wonder if is is the total ban on sugar?? I have refrained from any carbs which could be converted, and only eat green salad or spinach with protein. The fridge is missing it’s daily input of gold top, cheddar and Total Yoghurt, so must be feeling slightly redundant. Twice since I started, I have completed Mystery Shops in Wetherspoon; firstly I had the Chicken & Avocado salad with bottled water, second I had Ham and Eggs ( gave the chips to ma pal ) and water. I can honestly say I wasn’t tempted to try even one, or even a pint of the guest ale which was an option. Narp, stuck to the water again. I sound like a paragon of virtue, don’t I? But I still feel fat bloated and crabby today. Maybe because it’s piddling down and I can’t go on ma walk. Tomorrow I shall be going for my weekly weigh-in. Our town centre public loo’s have some of those old fashioned very heavy (20p a pop) scales. I call it the Whale Weigh Station! I just hope they give me some good news..A hug out there for you all. Am sooo glad I found you xxx.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Bluebell50. Great work resisting the cheese sandwich! The triumvirate of tragedy
    for me was always cheese, wine and bread, in that order. O/H and I always ate it
    like we’d never get another serving. One inch square? Are you kidding me?? ๐Ÿ™‚ His
    arteries are now full of plaque, so we had to bid it farewell. I admire your commitment
    doing 10,000 steps a day. That’s impressive! Hope your weigh-in at the Whale Sta.
    went well. I used to weigh myself daily while losing 144 lbs, but am trying in all ways
    to stop being so compulsive now that the weight is off. It’s going to be really interesting
    to learn more about the paleo diet from you. Mary is correct, we do like to laugh on this
    thread, so thanks for the “Whale Weigh Station” analogy! Wishing you a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mary, I’m laughing out loud at your new set of guidelines! Didn’t I warn you early on
    that I don’t have too many filters? ๐Ÿ™‚ How can I accomplish this??! I’ll do my best….
    Reading your posts always sets me up for a good day! Thanks.
    Allie

• posted by Heather 44
    on

Good morning folks

Mary your rules made me laugh. Hard. Always up for a chuckle on this journey we call life (and weight loss!) But we are well and truly in hand now- no laughing or frivolity. And definitely no fucking swearing….oops ๐Ÿ™‚ I meant to answer you the other day- I do have an upper body routine that I do and I like it,and I don’t even have to stand up for it. I think I just really want to go for a walk! and right now that’s not possible. Not to far in the future I hope!

Bluebell- good for you!!!!!!! I hate the cravings feeling. Hate it. It makes me feel so out of control and I find that frightening. However cravings so far for me have been much less than expected and hopefully we will both have similar experiences to others who have reported that their cravings more or less disappear after a couple of weeks. If you want cheese I’m sure you keep a wee bit in your fridge? Unless you feel that would knock you right off of course. I know with chocolate there is no way I would be able to keep any ofit- it all goes at once!

FFBB- I am definitely stealing the rubber band idea! Although I think it might go so far as to count as self harm in my case- just looking at goodies makes me salivate!

EC- nightmare re weight gain! Our bodies are such queer creatures, but its interesting to know that weight gain is not at all linked to eating some of the time. I keep having waking fantasies that I will stand on the scales at the end of this first week and will have gained- hopefully that will not be the case.

H66- your friend interests me. I have work colleagues who are the same- very T2, but continue to eat a lot of sugar and carbs and stuff that generally is bad for them. Hmmm. While I have not always been able to control myself I am always very aware of the damage I am doing to my body and continually try to find ways to manage it.
    I was discussing this with my wife last night- she had said that she thought I was doing very well so far on this WOE- and I was saying to her that I have no choice. If I don’t get this under control I. Will. Die. I’m almost 45 and my mother had a stroke at 50. Now she smoked 100 cigs a day and was 5 stone overweight so there was no surprise there. However I don’t want that for me. I want to be fit and healthy. I don’t have any major health issues to my knowledge but carry on like this and surely they cannot be far away. Dying has never held many fears for me- unless its very premature- but the thought of a life where I can’t talk, eat, walk, do the things I want to do, have a quality of life….brrrrrr. So on I go trying and trying.

Allie, the parallels drawn between hurricanes and kimchi had tears running down my face. Good ones! Proper chuckles. And I love a bit of (appropriate!) controversial chat!

All well so far today. Mild headache earlier but has disappeared now so maybe just not enough water. I’ve found that the best way for me it to keep breakfast till about midday (now) and that means I can have lunch and dinner later. I’m a night time snacker so that staves off any likelihood that I will crumble. My only difficulty remains eating all the calories while keeping the carbs low- any tips?

Have a great Thursday all!

Heather ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Heather, sorry to read about your ankles. That must be painful! I sincerely hope that
    getting the weight under control will help that situation. Is your wife doing the plan
    with you? It sounds like you have excellent support.
    With respect to food, would any of these suggestions be of help? 6-8 almonds (cal. 7 ea),
    1/4 avocado (cal. 68.75, <1 carb). Forgive me if I don’t recall whether you like greek
    yogurt? I add 1tb chia seed and 1 tb raw unsweetened cacao nibs to mine. I still eat
    these things today, and my overall net carbs come in at <20.

Hello66, in the many postings yesterday, I seem to have missed your hilarious one
    about the foul winds in my immediate vicinity. Let me enrich your life further with
    a few more general mishaps..Yesterday I walked solidly into a wall/picture frame,
    and now have a black/blue bruise on my temple that is obviously swollen, so I now
    look like I’ve been in a street brawl of some kind. I’m looking forward to the many
    color changes to be anticipated. Between the kimchi and this, I think I need to be
    put in quarantine for awhile.

Steer clear, my friends!

Love to all

Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hello all ,
    Heather so glad to read that you are aware of what damage you are / were doing to your body , accepting this and being prepared to manage it is the way to go , especially with your Family history with your Mum , as you said the thought of a life unable to express needs , dependent on someone to feed and attend to ones hygiene is enough to give us all incentive to be the healthiest we can be !
    I have a sign to combat night snacking ,
    I hang it at my kitchen door after dinner which says : KITCHEN CLOSED AFTER 8 P.M.
    Have to say I try and sneak past the sign at times , hoping I’m not caught on a hidden camera , I look around furtively , give the hidden camera THE BIRD , and usually slink off empty handed … Not worth being caught I feel !
    Not sure of the punishment , but the consequences may be a fatter a.. !
    I had success today , I skipped breakfast , & for lunch chose the Caesar Salad without the croutons , had 2 glasses of water , a long black with milk on the side , and I felt good , & satiated .
    My friend chose fish and chips , & a Diet Coke , didn’t follow my lead , must say I was mighty tempted to ask for a couple of her chips , but managed to suppress the urge !
    It is a worry that she is ignoring the reality of her health issues , I dropped a few hints here and there , about how necessary it is for US to try and be as healthy as we can be , to prevent health complications as we age , but think they fell on deaf ears !
    Oh well …
    Good work Bluebell resisting the cheese sandwich & your daily steps , I’m trying to increase my daily stros as my balance improves , my daily goal was 10,000 , hoping to get back there soon .
    Well I must go practice my ABC !
    ๐Ÿ˜ŠH 66

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

***************************************************************************************************************************************

3 lb loss this week.

Happy, especially since I had a piece of lemon cheesecake yesterday (mum’s home made)

One day at a time.

Happy Friday peeps.

FFBB x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Extraordinary results, FFBB!!!!!!! I’m so happy for you ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re certainly back on track
    and then some! We will all be getting ourselves elastic wrist bands now. Wow

Allie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hey guys! I still haven’t caught up with the whole thread yet (Irma was a meanie), but I can never resist the opportunity to chime in with food ideas whenever there’s an opening.

Bluebell, a little cheese can go a long way. There’s no reason whatsoever to eliminate it from your diet on the BSD. Most days I eat a couple of ounces divided into two meals. When I’m in the mood for something gooey cheesy, an omelette takes the place of the grilled bread. Pick a very melty cheese, get it as thinly sliced as you can or grate it as finely as you can and you can layer it down the middle of the omelette so that when you cut into it perfectly melted cheese spills out like magma. An ounce of cheese fills up a 2-egg double-fold omelette like you would not believe.

Another trick is making a veg and cheese bake, either in the oven or in a pan. Because I don’t like heating up the house if I can avoid it, I stick with the pan. You can’t use the cups of cheese most of these recipes call for, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a great cheese sauce-centered meal. Melt an ounce of cream cheese in a pan on low. Once it’s soft, add a cup of chicken stock (veggie stock could work, but check the carbs) and bring to a simmer, stirring to break up any remaining bits of cream cheese.

Here’s the tricky part. You have to thicken it. My go-to thickeners are guar gum (do not use if on Metformin) and glucommanan powder. The first is the easiest because you use a tiny amount, like 1/4 tsp, sprinkle it into the pan and whisk it thoroughly. The glucommanan needs to be whisked into a cold liquid first, so if you were using that you’d keep 1/2 cup of that chicken stock aside. Put it in a small mixing bowl, sprinkle in a tsp of glucommanan powder and whisk like the devil is driving your wrist. That stuff thickens to an aspic in seconds. It’s wild to watch. You have to be fast with the whisk to make sure the powder is fully dissolved before the liquid turns to a semi-soild. Once you’ve got your crazy chemistry experiment chicken Jell-o, whisk it into the mixture in the pan until it’s distributed and absorbed.

A few minutes later you have a gravy. Add the cheese at this point and stir until it’s melted. Add cooked chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, crispy bacon, whatever your heart desires. Put the lid on for a few minutes until everything heats up and the flavors combine. Taste and add salt, pepper, whatever spices you like. Stir again and serve hot.

I’ve made buffalo chicken in blue cheese sauce with chives and worcestershire, chicken broccoli cheddar, smoked turkey, horseradish and Swiss, roasted cauliflower stilton, rapini with turkey sausage in garlic parmesan sauce and this sort of creamed chard and turnip green thing that was so good and you could eat a giant mountain of it for very few calories (practically all of them in the cheese) and a handful of carbs from the veggies.

Just because you have to measure and count your food doesn’t mean you have to deny yourself the pleasures of the table. The only thing you have to deny yourself is literal, actual poison to your body, be it alcohol or sugar, wheat, grain, cereal and root vegetables. The party isn’t over. It just moved somewhere else.

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Esnecca – Thanks for the post. I would have killed an old person for a cheese omelette yesterday. I picked some up in the supermarket, but then reminded myself that before embarking on this way of life, I tried the Atkins Diet which allows all types of hard cheese, cream and butter – indeed, it actively encouraged it. My weight loss was precisely zilch, and I felt like Mrs. Bloatyface McTavish. The trouble with me and my relationship with cheese is I love it, and it HATES me! Also the recommended portion control – matchbox size square, I interpreted it to mean a box of Cooks Household Matches.
    A little angel sitting upon my shoulder was saying ” PUT THE CHEESE DOWN! HANDS IN THE AIR, NOW SLOWLY WALK AWAY.” I listened. The cheese was back on the shelf and I retreated. Drama over, and no lives lost.
    I am doing quite well I think, so far, so I think the ‘fridge should remain dairy free for now. But again, thanks for taking the time to answer with those delicious recipes.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Esnecca your food sounds amazing. So glad you came through that vile hurricane too, it must have been awful. You always have such wise advice and your story is so inspiring. I love the idea that the party has moved and isn’t over.

Bluebell, your police training obviously helped with the cheese! Keep going this really works! I love the whale weigh station. I enjoy a good pun!

FFBB…YAY…way to go. You are really a role model for us.

Hello66, how are you feeling now? A word to the wise, some supermarkets can make you feel a bit sick with Labyrinthitis, its something to do with the lights. I avoided shopping for a while and lost pounds….because my husband bought all sorts of rubbish I wouldn’t have given houseroom!

Asecondautumn did you win the quiz and were you successful at not drinking? If you weren’t don’t beat yourself up, just chalk it up to a difficult time. You could always allow yourself that night off per week? I find that if I deny myself something I want it more. So I allow myself to think about having it, tomorrow, or Friday, Saturday etc. I just keep postponing it.

Heather, how you getting on?

EC, are you ok?

Sorry if I have forgotten anyone.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

hello dear Mary and all my random and wonderful friends
    funny…just opened my computer as was to be heading to airport to pick up OH, but plane’s delayed…and there is your lovely query!!

Yes I’m fine, gracias. …looking forward to having my mate home as he’s been interstate almost two weeks

great to ear everyone’s (mostly) positive news!..congrat on the downward scales FFBB and I also love your police moment bb…and your “closed kitchen” H66

I’ve just returned to “normal BSD today after my five days on fmd..I was in town and had the MOST delicious coffee. Hunger totally under control..and treated myself to a massage this afternoon…….so actually (thanks for asking!) I’m great!!

One little tip bluebell…in one of my life’s incarnations i owned a cafe, and a trick when making dishes dairy free was to find something salty and oily to replace cheese…so for instance I would make a frittata with diced olives instead of fetta …..and vegans will often use nutritional yeast for that salty, full-bodied taste…no, they’re not cheese……but

wishing you all a wonderful weekend …though I guess many of you still have Friday to get through…oh and alliecat…sounds you need a weekend in a cocoon ๐Ÿ™‚

xxxxx

• posted by EC
    on

oh, and Mary…I keep meaning to tell you (just ask my OH)….I’m rubbish with rules, instructions, or authority in general!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Nonna Mary , funny you should say that about the shopping centres ? & lighting I had a strange episode inside a shopping complex , I was feeling quite steady , bumped into an acquaintance , found I couldn’t talk & keep up eye contact for any length of time , I began wavering about , balance badly affected , so had to cling onto the person I was chatting to , quite disconcerting I must admit .
    This has happened out in the sunlight as well , so seems to ccur when having to concentrate when conversing with anyone , very strange horrid feeling , the fear of falling isn’t good either .
    Initially I had nystagmus which was quite noticeable to my OH Dr & Family , perhaps I’m still having episodes of this may be caused by a reaction to bright lights / sunlight , hoping to see the back of it all soon Mary , thanks for asking , and offering how it affected you .
    Glad to hear others are doing well and resisting temptations ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Hope it’s a good weekend coming up for everyone .
    A fairly good day for me food wise , but have had a bit of trouble getting the water down , sometimes I really struggle with it , never seemed to have trouble swigging wine down !!
    Love to all ,
    H 66

• posted by alliecat
    on

Friends – what a great way to begin the weekend, with everyone doing so well! Nice to
    see you posting again on this thread, Esnecca. H66, it makes me happy to know
    you feel well enough to get out and see friends!
    I’m wishing you all a great weekend and week ahead!
    I need to have a liedown, I think. The swelling om my face has gotten worse,
    and I have a black eye as well Quite the thumping head,too.
    Have a concussion, I’m afraid. All in all, I feel a little beaten up this week!
    Everyone, keep up the good work ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

EC , did you lose weight this week on this little experiment ?
    Enjoy your weekend with your OH home after 2 weeks , hope plane not delayed too long .
    Had to go back and have a look see why Allie needed a weekend in a cocoon ?
    Oh dear Allie , hope you’re taking care of yourself , not stumbling around rearranging anything else around the house , that’s taking interior decorating to yet another level !
    Prompt healing & love coming your way ๐Ÿ˜˜ โค๏ธ
    H 66

Please log in or register to post a reply.