New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi Allie ,
    Funny thing whenever we felt unwell as children , Mum would make a big pot of chicken soup , with heaps of veg , it always touched the spot , & Mum believed it boosted the immune system & could send any ailment packing !
    In more recent years this has been echoed by many health professionals , and Chicken soup apparently has healing properties .
    My starting point today was to go get ingredients and get it going A.S.A.P .
    I did that , and could hardly wait for it to cook , have already partaken , and it was good !
    I then read before your suggestion that you could bring me some if closer , wow E.S.P .?
    I plan to have plenty of nourishing chicken soup over the weekend , will not worry about weighing food or self until Tuesday , just hope if there’s been an ‘ Al Gain ‘ , it will be gone by Tues .
    Thanks for your kindness Allie 😘
    So many positives going on here , great to hear πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Have a great weekend all ,
    H 66

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Nonna ‘s Mary ,
    I’m hitched on , I’m bringing a heap of Chicken soup aboard , a powerful antidote to Al . K . Hole I’m told !!
    Anyone want a cup feel free to join me 🍲🍲🍲
    Glad the house Valuation is now over , Β£3000 isn’t a huge outlay to make it completely saleable I wouldn’t think , I’m sure we would have to spend heaps more here if we were to sell !
    Have a good weekend ,
    Love H 66 xx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Well done Kaz.

Liz I was ever so sad and sorry to hear your news. The deep connection and memories and love you have shared with your ma will never be lost. We are all thinking of you.

From our end- I did 3 total fasts this week- one 24h one 36h and one 42h. Yesterday inhitntheberight inneed to be for ivf! Weighed in at 72.2!

But as this was ona fast day I am fasting again today to make sure that when I am back home the numbers are what we need to show the doctors on weds morning.

Weds will be right weeks on bsd and fasting for me. I’ve lost 11.5 kilos and feel like a new woman. Apart from the loss I have gained so much – a wonderful community, new confidence and my self esteem back.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

One to watch…I am in awe of your fasting and dedication. Well done.

To those of you who like Chicken Soup….I am pleased for you, but I don’t like it at all. My mother gave me soft boiled eggs with butter when I was ill….but then she wasn’t a very maternal person. Still loved her though!

A little news I want to share…I had a lovely couple of hours with my 3 months old granddaughter today, who chuckles..yes chuckles…such a lovely baby, but so spoiled…doesn’t like to be sitting or lying on her own…I did warn her mom lol…

On the weight front…I seem to be 3 pounds up since last week….think I know why….haven’t had chance to measure because getting house ready for appraisal…so made poor choices. Have to start again tomorrow. Where are you people? Miss reading your posts.

Liz…missing your presence here….come back soon. I know I am being selfish, but it may help you too!

Lots of love,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Never fear, Nona Mary, I’m still here! Not much activity around here today. What a lovely day you must have had
    with your daughter and granddaughter! I was fortunate to spend a lot of time with my 3 nephews when they were
    little, all grown up now, and making their independent way in the world. Time passes so quickly, unfortunately. Do
    you live in close proximity to your children?
    Sorry that this hasn’t been a good week, weight-wise, but you can only turn the page and be prepared for the
    week ahead. You can do it! Did Onslo/Al intrude? I’m doing well on that front. I think meeting everyone here
    as lowered my stress hormones, not been obsessing so much about my husband’s health, etc. He says he
    has seen me returning to “my old self”, which is an entirely good thing. You have been a part of that, so
    I’m very grateful to you, indeed. I don’t envy you “tarting up” and having unknown people showing up at incon-
    venient times for viewings. I wish I could forget those days, but they are still alive and well in my memory a
    decade later. Sleep well, my friend.
    Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Fantastic news re your weight onetowatch , sounds like you’re in for good news from your Doc.on Wednesday , will be thinking of you and wishing you all the very best , look forward to hearing about this important visit . πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜ H66 .

Glad to hear you have returned to your old self Allie , you are obviously feeling more relaxed , & less stressed , that in turn will good for your Husband too , as I’m sure he doesn’t want you to be worrying yourself sick , it’s not always easy to keep it under control when we worry about those we love dearly , so good that Nonna Mary has been able to help play a part in getting you into a better head space πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜˜Go Nonna Mary .

Nonna Mary , how very cute time spent with that sweet wee Grandbaby , they really melt your heart don’t they ?
    Our 1 st was picked up every time she squeaked , must say it made it hard those first few months to get any meals prepared , & household chores attended to , whilst at home alone , before hubby came to take over the Baby carrying , but I don’t believe you can spoil babies with love , cuddles and attention , she is the sweetest , most loving , caring ‘person ‘ any parent could wish for .
    Must say we worried a little when baby number 2 was about to arrive , but there was never any sign of jealousy over having to share the attention .
    You know why you’ve gained that bit of weight this week , understandable in your present circumstances , youre half way to dealing with it if you know the reason , hopefully this next week won’t be tooooo disruptive , and you will be able to stay on track !

I’m also wondering when Liz will feel strong enough to join us , hope it’s soon , but most of all hope she is learning to cope with her significant loss , she knows she is thought about often 😘😘
    Hope everyone else is doing well , I am 😊
    😊 H 66 xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Nonna Mary,
    I’m still here too, just plodding away… had a really stressful week last week plus all the family down with the flu so easing back into things this week. Have hardly had a drink in the last two weeks, so that’s a plus!

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Not my usual weigh day but I have had a sudden drop of 3 lbs so I am recording it for posterity.

Got my paperwork through for the job, including the application form so I have completed it all and sent it off so I can be reference checked/credit checked etc. It appears I shouldn’t have been offered the job until these checks have been carried out which will take 2/3 weeks.

There shouldn’t be a problem but I am upset that the job offer has been withdrawn. I am glad that I only told my parents (IRL) so I don’t have to tell everyone.

FFBB X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello everyone,

Alliecat, I am so pleased you are more of your ‘old self’…I am sure your husband loves this fact. It will help him too as it obviously was concerning him a little, or he wouldn’t have mentioned it. Anyhow, glad to be of help, even though you have done it all yourself. My family do live within 15 minutes of me, hence me seeing so much of them. I would hate them to be further away, although I would be brave if that was what they wanted.

Hello66, I also picked my first up at the slightest sound and she didn’t sleep through until she was 3. She also took to her younger sibling really well, and they are very close still. Neither of my girls listened to me, but they do have the most wonderful children, who I am completely besotted with. The difference was, that my husband was very hands on and followed my lead on everything. My eldest’s husband either doesn’t listen or doesn’t understand what to do. This causes a lot of friction between them. It also means that Flower (my daughters nickname) does most of the work. My second daughter (Piglet) had a very traumatic birth which resulted in her being very, very overprotective of the baby. I have hardly held her at all and yesterday was a break-through for her. I have to say though, she was in the room at the same time, only working on the computer whilst I played with the baby. He husband, doesn’t support her very much at all, and she is suffering from sleep deprivation and overwork. She is stubborn though, and wont let me help. So I have to sit and watch. It kills me. I would do anything for my girls! Grrr I am a Tigress! Sorry for going on a bit. lol

Inka13, it sounds like you have had a rough time of it lately. It will get better soon, but wayhay on the booze. Bloody well done!

FFBB, it is great that you are still losing weight. Shitty about the job though. It’s just a small setback though. I am sure it will be ok. Last December, my Jovis, had an interview which lasted 2 hours. Then was called back for another, which lasted 3 hours (where he met the MD). Then he was asked to do a psychometric test (which took an hour). Then they had him back for another interview and to discuss the test (another hour). This was on a Thursday at 6.30…he used to get up at 5:30 so he was quite tired at the time. He then got a phone call a week later to say he hadn’t got the job! I was furious that he had wasted 7 hours and they had treated him so badly. The joke is, he keeps getting calls from agencies wanting to put him forward for the very same job! It was a perfect fit for him and he was so disappointed, and of course now he is unemployed.

Gosh I have gone on a bit now. I think I have verbal diarrhoea! Enough said.

Take care folks…you matter to me!
    Lots of love,

Nonna Mary
    xxxxx

on

Nonna Mary – at least they told him he was unsuccessful. But what a long day for him. Maybe he should try again through an agency. I still haven’t been told I didn’t get the other job I interviewed for…even though today is the start day so I assume I didn’t get it.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

FFBB, it makes me so angry that people can be so rude. If you have taken the time to apply and attend an interview, why not let them know one way or the other. In this day of instant communications it doesn’t take much. If I ask for a quote from a workman I always let them know if I haven’t chosen to use them. They usually write back and thank me for taking the time!

Rant over. I am very vocal today. lol.

Stay well,

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Just catching up on posts after being on holiday and Liz, I am so very sorry for the loss of your mom. It is so hard to lose someone so important. I think of my mom every day although she’s been gone for ten years. My heart goes out to you.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi everyone! I’ve just been spreading my wings a bit today, and dipping my proverbial toe in the pool on some of
    the other threads…Tuesday seems to be a preferred weigh in day, so I’ve been thinking of you all, and am wondering
    where you are in terms of your weight loss goals? For some unknown reason I’ve lost 2 lbs this past week. Maybe
    the absence of wine?

FFBB, that’s disappointing about your job opportunity, though sometimes a decision date gets moved up and we
    just aren’t aware of it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this may be the case for you. Losing 3 lbs. this week
    is marvelous! Sometimes having one thing a day to be grateful for can make life seem less chaotic and unpredictable.

Hello66, so glad to hear that your feeling better today! Yes, Nonna Mary has been wonderful, but you need to hold
    that mirror up to your face, too. I always like to start my day with black coffee, then read thru this thread. Seeing
    your posts always puts a smile on my face πŸ™‚

Nonna Mary, how fantastic to have Flower and Piglet so close to you! All I have left in terms of my
    immediate family are 2 sisters, who live 1 1/2 hrs and 2 hrs. away, respectively. One is married to a venture
    capitalist and travels extensively, and the other has an out of control “narcissistic personality disorder” and I
    can only take the “entitlement” and professional victimhood in small doses, so if we’re lucky we see each other
    once or twice a year. I hope when you relocate that it won’t be too far away. Thank you, I AM feeling much better,
    and there’s no measurable change in my life apart from joining this forum. I may dust off my watercolor palette and
    see if any of my pigments need to be replaced. The Fall college semester begins this week, so O/H won’t be dis-
    rupting my day coming in and out, and I might actually be able to concentrate and try to do some work. Certainly
    preferrable to cleaning the house πŸ™‚ It’s been awhile. The painting, not cleaning the house!

Have a good night, everyone.

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Allie,

I am sorry your sisters are not close. My only sister (5 years my junior, I have 3 older brothers but only keep in touch with 2), left home 37 years ago never to return. When people saw her and asked why, she just said we were dead to her. When my mother died 10 years ago I tried to find her, but she wanted no contact. I can only hope she has had a good life and been happy. Just as a by the by, she joined a religion that made her feel we were persona non grata, and nothing we said had an affect. Funnily enough, the brother I have nothing to do with also joined a religion, but it is his holier than thou attitude that I can’t stand. Pun intended lol.

I wish I was artistic! I have had a go at painting (a la Bob Ross). The mountains were recognizable, but my technique needed a lot of work. I am however, a dab hand with a needle and thread. I made my darling daughters’ wedding dresses and I do counted cross-stitch as a hobby. I knit when the mood takes me and I am going to be making some clothes for my granddaughter soon, as we are quite a feminist family and resist the incessant ‘pinkness’ that is in the shops!

Enjoy your painting. The trouble with housework is that it is always there!

Take care,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh and Allie, well done for keeping off the booze…more weight loss too! Brilliant.

Mary xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Just a quick note, Nonna Mary, as it is time to prepare dinner on this side of the Atlantic. Spectacular pun!!!
    I laughed out loud, with much gusto!! Catch up with you tomorrow.
    Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

One to Watch,

Thinking of you today. Can’t wait to hear your news.

Lots of Love,
    Nonna Mary

ps…my grandsons 3rd birthday today…it’s a good omen!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mary, you must be a very accomplished seamstress to be able to design a wedding gown. I’ve never had the patience
    to sew. Some decades back, I used to enjoy doing fine crochet work in the form of placemats, with fine linen vegetable
    dyed thread. I did some embroidery at one time also, usually in the form of of decorative pillows. I get much
    too antsy and bored simply watching the television, and I need to do at least one other thing while watching it. I love
    the anti pink feminist vibe in terms of dressing your grandchildren. How about some animal prints? I did something
    relatively crazy and age inappropriate recently. I ordered some python print legging.! (There may be snow on the
    roof, but there is still some fire in the furnace! πŸ™‚
    Hope you were able to celebrate your grandson’s 3rd birthday with him.
    Love,
    Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hello all ,
    I’m trying to figure out what you were thinking when you ordered those Python print leggings Allie , a hidden desire maybe ? or perhaps you’re just hoping they will attract a rather large t…… snake ?? I’m going to leave this conversation alone , right here , right now , suffice to say I’m having a bit of a laugh right now ,πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚not at you , with you dear Allie .
    Thank you for your kind words , glad I put a smile on your face 😊
    I weighed today , couldn’t resist the urge any longer , I first visited this forum July 10 th , and today I am 7 lbs 4 Ozs lighter , or 3.2 kilos for those who think in kilos , so I’m actually very pleased with that result , as I’ve had my ups and downs , so it hasn’t been 100% adherence as others here seem to be able to manage for weeks on end …. I’m still a work in progress , I’m not a painter Allie but I have a picture in my mind of how I’d like to look after successfully working on this old piece of canvas ! (ME ! )
    I’m not hoping to produce a masterpiece , I’m certainly not taking anything away from one of the Masters , Leonardo , I just no longer want to look like his girl Mona L .
    That being said , an old memory just flooded back , as a young trainee nurse many years ago , I was nicknamed ‘ Twiggy ‘ , after a gorgeous skinny English Model …. Agh I remember it well 😏 Wouldn’t mind looking like her again , wonder if she’s still alive ?
    So pleased you are feeling better Allie , and you’re thinking about dusting off your palette , and checking out your pigments , that’s a great start , do hope you get back into it when OH starts back , it’s shame not to use your talent 🎨
    Nonna Mary WOW to making your DD ‘s Wedding Dresses , that’s a real talent also .i used to sew quite a lot on the early years if our Marriage , but I would ‘whip ‘ up an outfit in a day , and wear it out in the evening , looked great on the outside , but not finished off well on the inside !
    I used to go to Op . shops and buy really cheap garments for the labels only , picked up quite a lot of designer labels , and stitched them into my ‘creations ‘ , I remember accompanying my husband to a Business Dinner one particular evening , I had bought a raw silk skirt at great cost to the establishment ( 3 children one Salary at the time ) , so couldn’t afford the matching top , I scurried around in a fabric shop and bought enough raw silk to make a top , cost me about Β£3 to make , stitched a designer label into the neck , and felt a million dollars as we entered the Restaurant .
    An extremely toffy nosed , rather snobby English LADY ( she thought she was a cut above everyone else !) came up to me and told me I looked ‘amazing darling ‘ , and said my outfit was so so classy , and she said ‘ May I ?’ & with that her hand slipped around the back of my raw silk top , and she had the absolute cheek to look at my label ! With that she withdrew her hand , and with a satisfied look on her face , and a knowing nod announced ‘ Just as I suspected !!! ‘
    I was amazed at her lack of class , but I was also very amused , & could hardly wait for a chance to tell my darling about my label win !
    I realised that it was well worth trawling those second hand stores seeking out labels for the likes of Valerie .
    Bottom line was I didn’t want to own up to making these garments , knowing they weren’t of a high standard , but the rare time I put in a lot of effort , taking weeks and weeks to make this one particular dress , by the time I got to wear it I detested it !
    I made some fantastic outfits for our daughter from when she could walk , until she was about 10 or 11 and outgrew Mum!s creations .
    Nonna Mary , as Allie said I do hope after you sell your house you will find a place close to your darling daughters , we are about 20 minutes from our daughter , and about 8 minutes from our son by car , so we see them frequently which is wonderful , and our 5 precious Grandchildren.
    Talking of siblings I have one of each , love them both dearly , and am happy to say that the 3 of us get on so well together as we always did , and they both live within 3 hours travel time by car , so we catch up fairly often , but so many people seem to drift away from their families and siblings for one reason or another !
    Well do hope it’s a good week for everyone here , I’m pleased with my week so far , and the total weight loss since July 10 , so now I just have to hope I don’t SS !
    Love H 66 😊

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello lovely people

Gosh, it’s been a few days since I last posted. I fell off the wagon…. annoying thing is, I got through my birthday lunch last Sunday, went for a carvery and had small piece of roast beef and just veggies. No booze. Then….. on Tuesday, found half a loaf of bread in the freezer. I thought I’d try a couple of slices – test myself to see how the IBS would react. They smelt yeasty and the bread was sweet on my tongue. Disgusting! But I still ate it. Chucked the rest away. Then yesterday went to the supermarket, bought a small crusty loaf, half a bottle of vodka (35cl) and litre of low cal tonic. That bread with strong cheese, was divine! Polished off the vodka and a litre of tonic last night. Fell into bed feeling so pissed off with myself. Well, this morning, I’ve been on and off the toilet for 2 hours! My bum is sore and looks like a baboon! That’s what it feels like anyway! Thank goodness for moist toilet wipes! BUT, I’m glad this has happened because I was feeling just a little bit too pleased with myself and quite clearly I have a long way to go before I can say I am “strong” in my head, if that makes sense? Pride comes before a fall – never a truer word! Anyway, I shall chalk this down to experience . I’m glad it’s happened. I actually feel relieved that it’s a new day and I can get back to BSD normal!

So how’s everyone else doing?

H66 – Op shop – I’ve not heard that term for years!! You’re in Oz? My parents were Β£10 poms and emigrated in 1968. Came back home in 1973. I was 11 when we came back but I do remember being dragged around the Op shops! Lots of happy memories except I hated the heat! Still do!

Love to all
    Kazzzer xxxx

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello Hello66
    Twiggy is alive and kicking, still modelling and looks fantastic!
    X B

on

KazzUk – I am right there with you. I can’t believe I am about to confess to this….but here goes.

On Tuesday The Co-op had reduced 2 of their Irresistible Ham, Mushroom and Marscapone sour dough pizzas so I bought them “for the freezer” and they had a special clearance on chardonnay @ 4 bottles for Β£12 so, as I love a bargain, I bought them “just in case”

Needless to say it is Thursday and I have neither pizza in the freezer nor wine in the cupboard. I have consumed an extra 4908 calories over 48 hours!

Today is my suffering day (IBS/Early period/food karma!), and tomorrow I am going to restart the 800 cals for 8 weeks with 18:6 I.F. AND if I get tempted by extras I will enter them on the app BEFORE and, in the words of Prue Leith (GBBO), decide if they are worth the calories/carbs.

Yesterday is over, today is a new day. Time to walk the walk again.

Happy Thursday buddies.

FFBB X

• posted by KazzUK
    on

FFBB, we must be twins! The bread was also on offer and the other half is in the outside bin! I’m having a brunch omelette later with salad. Baked salmon, green beans and broccoli for dinner. The relief is like greeting an old friend!

Kxxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Well peeps, it would seem it is a day for confession and for falling off the wagon. I loved being with my little Joe (he was named after my husband of course). He had a great time. Of course my son in laws were there and my lovely Piglet. Unfortunately, from time to time, when stressed, overtired or whatever excuse you want to use. My darling daughter uses me as a virtual punchbag. I cannot say anything right, or help in any way. A few years ago it came to a head and she told me “You have to change…it’s only you that I get like this with.” I told her if it’s only me, it’s her problem not mine. However, we have managed a while, until she got pregnant, the baby is 3 months old now, so for almost a year. So yesterday, I was again spoken at through gritted teeth. Jovis says it’s not fair that I should not be able to relax when she is like that. She is unaware of her behaviour and usually is the most loving and caring person. As long as I stick to neutral subjects we are ok, but if I dare say anything about…her, the baby, her husband, her house, her job….so I don’t. It makes me so sad. I half wish she could read this, because she wouldn’t want to hurt me. Hey ho, this too will pass.

Anyway, mix that with the stress we have at the moment. My Psoriasis is worse than ever, we are going away with my lovely Flower, family and shithead son in law next week and I am dreading it. The IBS is driving me mad and last night I said sod it…welcome back Al…So today I am starting again also. I feel that I have let you all down as I have been telling you how to avoid having him back in your lives. So with that in mind I am sober from today. We are all human, and humans make mistakes. What is important is what we learn from those mistakes. Piglet it staying in my house next week to look after the dogs. I hope the distance from me, will help improve her temper.

Kazz, I sympathise with the baboon impersonation, in fact we could be twins. I get so sick of it. I have been trying Kefir to try and stabalise my gut flora, but it hasn’t made a difference. When I get back I might try the fermented food route. Hope you recover soon.

FFBB, I hope you recover quickly too. The only good thing about having my hysterectomy is the fact that I no longer surf the red tidal wave. Thank goodness. You have done so well on the BSD, I am sure you can continue with it.

Hello66, you sound pretty handy with a needle and thread too! What a rude woman though! I learnt to make my clothes as a teenager as we were poor and I couldn’t keep up with the other girls. I became a trend setter. I remember one very rude young woman at a dance, telling me she knew my outfit was cheap as she had seen it in a shop. (Dont know if you remember C & A, we used to say it was Coats and Ats, there was a rude version too….work it out yourself). I had the greatest pleasure telling her it was an original design that I had made. Her face was a picture. I wish I could post pictures on here as you would see the wedding dresses. I am very proud of them, especially my lovely girls.

Any hoo… that is enough moaning for now. Please don’t think badly of my lovely girl, she knows I will love her no matter what and like I say it will pass.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hello wonderful people. I got my referral! After water fasting and then nil by mouth for the last 12 hours tomhe certain- more detail on August thread if you’d like it but suffice it to say bsd changed my life. Also results are in for first round with 11.5kg lost despite about four weeks of plateaus.

Also stuffe dmy face with carbs and pizza to celebrate last night. Felt Sicks. Now happily back on the 800s for round two.

My trouser of the future now zip up but they make me speak in a very high pitches voice! Joseph black bootlegs – not fitted for about four years!!

Nice work fatty!

• posted by alliecat
    on

KazzUK, FFBB, Nonna Mary – You are all wonderful to come right back here to us. Addictions are such pernicious
    things, because they don’t involve the use of logic, and are usually rooted in denial. The road to being in control
    is never a straight forward one, we’ve ALL been there. The only way ahead is one day at a time. Do a quick “brush
    off” and make today a better day . Thinking about that pizza…it really sounded tempting…and it’s only
    5:30 in the morning here!
    Be well, darlings, and let us know how you are getting on.
    Hugs,
    Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazz – just a quick thought. Would it be possible to go back to having your groceries delivered? Remove temptation?
    I began using a delivery service 15 months ago, because it was no longer advisable for O/H to lug a weeks
    worth of shopping up a steep staircase, not to mention 6 gallons of water. On those occasions when thoughts of
    crusty bread and beautiful cheese lodged themselves in my brain, they didn’t linger or become obsessive because
    I ultimately knew there was no way I could satisfy them!
    Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Erica, I couldn’t be more pleased for you. I know how wonderful the gift of a child is and you will know this too! I am constantly amazed at how medical improvements are made. I remember the first in vitro baby, Louise Brown, who now has children of her own. You have wonderful times to come. Plus, advancements on the career. Your star is ascending!

Lots of love,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Alex49
    on

Awww Nonna Mary, to err is human, to forgive is divine. You are being too hard on yourself. We cope in the best way we can, and at times when we fall down we must just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and carry on. I too have fallen over recent days, but I’m trying not to be too tough on myself about it because guilt and remorse won’t help me if I want to change. You are amazing and you have helped so many of us here. I am sure your daughter is lovely … we all have our foibles but they are balanced with our good bits …and we don’t get to pick our families! Have a lovely day, love and hugs xxxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Alex49, that means a lot to me.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

on

Allie – it is a lovely pizza, it is the nicest supermarket pizza IMO. They are usually Β£4.99 each but were reduced to Β£2 each.

Nonna Mary – I am sometimes a right snotty cow to my mum and the worst thing is I don’t always pick up on the fact I am doing it BUT when she tells me I always apologise as it is never meant and it is never about her. It is always about me or my shit. You haven’t let any one down. xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you FFBB…I know she will realise soon. When she had such a bad time after the birth of the baby…she brought me flowers and said “I have realised that you must have been upset knowing that I was so ill.” I love my girls so much and I know she doesn’t mean it. I am just the whipping boy lol.

Thank you again,
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

My dear Mary;
    You haven’t let anyone down! You are always here for us, we want to to do the same for you. Just forgive yourself,
    you’ve been under a lot of stress lately, in addition to not feeling well. Probably not sleeping too well, either.
    I’m sure your daughter is a lovely person, and just had other things affecting her yesterday. We sometimes let
    our Mothers see this, because she is the one we know loves and understands us the best. Nothing was ever
    harder on my mother than knowing she couldn’t “fix” our adult problems. Children just don’t understand this
    sometimes. It will be okay.
    I will be back later, just wanted to get this off to you.
    Lots of love, Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I am misting up because you are all so lovely to me. Thank you Allie…your kind words have cheered me up no end.

Lots of love,
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Oh fantastic to hear Twiggy is still alive and kicking Busybee , still modelling , and looking fantastic , wow that’s got me thinking !
    I am still alive and kicking , that’s a good start πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    1 out of 3 ain’t bad 😊
    Jokes aside , I hadn’t thought of her fur years , I must check with Mr .Google , recent photos stories etc ., maybe she will give me inspiration ??
    Thanks for this info BB 🐝
    😊 H 66

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Kazz yes Op shop is an Aussie term for sure , funny how some Β£ 10 pound Poms returned after emigrating to Oz ., I love Oz , you must be a true English Rose not to be able to stand the heat , I personally have always been a β˜€οΈ Worshipper .
    So you too fell off the old wagon , funny how you got through your Birthday Sunday , then half fell off the wagon Tuesday , when you tested the load from the freezer , Wednesday came and you met up with Crusty & old Al masquerading as Water in a vodka bottle at the Supermarket !
    He will stop at nothing , and as for that crusty bread and strong cheese , my mouth was watering , I was salivating at the thought …. Then I got to the bit where you sat on the toilet on and off for 2 hours , my mouth went dry and I cursed Crusty for you as I know that shocking situation all too well , years and years of what appeared to be IBS , turned out my issue was gluten intolerance , so no more Crusty for me , just the odd bit of Gluten free until I started this Challenge , and have only succumbed to bread twice .
    Funny how we can become unstuck when we start to feel cocky about being strong , can resist temptation etc etc , anyway you know now for next time you go to the Supermarket to give Crusty and Al the finger as you walk by !
    FFBB you’ve had a brush with temptation too , but today , your day of suffering will soon be over , and you will face tomorrow , and your 800 cal for 8 weeks with great gusto πŸ‘Œ

Nonna Mary , I felt very sad for you when you’d had such a wonderful time with little Joe , for you then to have your Piglet act just like a πŸ– towards you , talking at you through 😁, Just hope as you’ve had a good 12 months or so without this , that she isn’t suffering a post natal depression which can present in all sorts of ways , gentle questioning , and a few quiet words to her husband may be a good idea , just a thought .
    Other thing is she may just be sleep deprived and may not even know she was being sharp with you !
    No wonder your psoriasis has flared up , and you have IBS to πŸ’©you as well !
    Is it any wonder you welcomed Al back , as you dread having to play happy Families with πŸ’©πŸ‘ΊSon in Law next week , but your darling Flower will be there , so just try and ignore any negatives that ‘ spew ‘ out of his mouth dear Nonna .
    As for you giving me compliments about my needle and thread skills , just be assured I could never have made a Wedding Dress for love nor money , that’s real talent , and yes Valerie was rude , as was that Cow who knew your outfit was cheap , cos she saw it on a shop , sucked in to her , you put her back in her Box …. C & A !!
    Would love to see photos of the Wedding dresses , wish you could somehow post them here .
    Sending big hugs , and 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

One to watch , so thrilled for you that you secured your Referral , bet that Pizza was a real treat until you felt sick , fantastic weight loss for Round one , here’s to Round 2 and those Joseph black bootlegs πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’

Allie your kind nature shines through , you have a wonderful way with words 😘
    Well think we’re all back on the Wagon now , so hold on tight !
    Xx H 66

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello 66:

Lots of interesting posts here today. I’ve left this one til the last, as I see I have some explaining to do πŸ™‚
    About the snake pants….I’ve always had an interest in fashion, and actually wanted to get a fine arts degree, then
    design women’s separates, when I started thinking of college. My father vetoed that idea in a big hurry, and insisted
    I receive a “well rounded liberal arts education” first. Since he was signing the checks, I didn’t have a whole lot of
    choice at the time. I’ve always had a fantasy of meeting a great seamstress who might be willing to execute some
    of my ideas. Before I became fat, then obese, I used to dress in an “Arty” style, and being an interior designer, it
    more or less went with the territory. I always enjoyed making a “statement” with pattern, texture, and bold jewelry,
    and Ive never met any designer who could compete with the ultimate designer, Mother Nature. So, this purchase
    isn’t a “big stretch” for me, just a return to my design roots, I guess. Lest you worry though, I will have the good
    judgement to camoflauge (?) the upper body with a black tunic! Now, that tunic may have a “cold shoulder” feature….
    Perhaps some high heeled suede sandals…but that’s only if I don’t sprain an ankle or fall down in the shoe salon!
    I really enjoyed your story about your raw silk creation. Imagine someone grappling about looking for a label.
    Grotesque!
    I have seen TWIGGY recently on some television show, but I can’t remember in what capacity. She does in fact
    look marvelous, though not quite as thin as she used to be. She was very well known over here at about the same
    time that I was doing a little modeling. Nothing much, just a method of earning some extra money from about
    16-25. So much less work than being a waitress! Thanks for sharing your weight loss. That’s excellent! You’re
    moving in the right direction. It certainly seems like old Al K has been working hard and doing a lot of travelling
    this week. I’m very proud of everyone for coming back to talk about it. That creature hasn’t been around here
    for about 2 weeks. I hope he has lost the directions to my house!
    Wishing everyone a great evening
    Allie

• posted by Shanik
    on

Hi there, I’ve been skimming the thread for a few days and thought i would participate. It looks like the most active thread on the boards. Like many others here, I am a fifty something woman who has an interesting relationship with diets and alcohol. I did 800 fast in January and lost almost a stone in four weeks. I was also doing dry January but ended that early for someone’s significant birthday. Couldn’t wholeheartedly diet after that while not being dry and was busy changing jobs and had two holidays so needless to say i gained back all the weight plus more. I started dieting again after my last holiday 3 weeks ago. I’m mostly counting calories but keeping low carb wherever possible. Ive lost about half a stone so far but haven’t often managed to stay under 800 cals. In fact on booze days have struggled to fit within 4K. Fortunately those have only been 3 in the last 3 weeks. I have another significant party on Saturday, but have to really show restraint on the alcohol front as I have an important dry and sober event the next day. Will give more details afterwards. I’ve spotted there is only a 5 min window to complete a post. Good luck for the weekend all.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

938 posts! Wow what an active, amazing bunch we are.

Onetowatch, I’m bloody delighted you got your referral. What an amazing goal to aim for and all the stuff you are learning about you and your health can only serve you well in motherhood. ❀️❀️

Mary, you are a treasure. We often use our parents as verbal punchbag ( I know I did as a teenager) it’s the whole unconditional love thing because that never stops, as you have clearly demonstrated. You know in your heart how you are loved. Doesn’t make it any less hurtful though.

Now, we appear to have lost a wheel off our wagon. Al, Crusty and the Italian job (pizza) have obviously teamed up (realising by our example that there is strength in teamwork) Can I say that luscious Lindt has joined in too? Yep, I too have slipped (more than once) I too blame the co-op. Their food is actually really good and I came away with some chocolate and some crusty! 😱

I’m dreading the scales this week but we reap what we sow and I will deserve whatever damage I have inflicted. I’ve worked so hard and I’m 1lb away from goal and officially a size 12 so no idea why I did it. Maybe I think I can relax a bit now, but I can’t! These items trigger cravings, create terrible “head hunger” and other bottom related side effects. They are not worth it! I shall have to keep battling with the demons.

On a positive note, I’ve booked a tour of Israel for next May. I’ve always wanted to go but knew all the walking would have killed me. Now, physically at least I shall be fit enough to enjoy. And of course weightless in the Dead Sea 🀣🀣

So, September 1st is upon us. New BSD term if you will. Together we can do this!

L 😘

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Morning my lovely BSDers!

LeeLee, good to see you back. Wow that holiday sounds good and won’t you be more comfortable now you are at a happy weight? I couldn’t consider a ‘hot’ holiday like that as my legs would rub together so much they could start a fire! Back on the straight and narrow for you, we don’t want to sabotage all that hard work!

Shanik, you have obviously seen that we all have ups and downs with Al. K Hole! I am now on total abstinence again as one is not enough and I am not strong enough to say no to more. This is when you know you have a problem! Funnily enough, it is only wine I drink, but once I start… I don’t stop. My brakes fail me πŸ™ Anyway, welcome, we support you and will kick your butt if you lapse, but it is meant with love! The five minute window is to edit your post. It takes me ages to write a post as I keep checking to read what people have said and if I can answer.

I didn’t mention on Tuesday but I have indeed put back the 3 pounds I lost the week before…so I am going to be very strict with myself this weekend at least. Next week I will be away so, although I may not get time to post I am going to try and at least read them. It will be difficult to follow this way of life next week as we will be visiting places of interest etc. My IBS doesn’t let me eat as other people do. I am going to try my hardest though. Al K Hole will not feature as Flower doesn’t drink and I won’t indulge her husband by joining in with him. Actually, this might be a good week for me!

Take care peeps,

Much love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Everyone!

LeeLee, Yes, we are amazing. An unstoppable force! Congratulations on getting within a lb. of goal, and into
    size 12. How do plan to manage maintenance ? I really really need help with this. I’m 9lbs below goal and the
    “scrawny” and “skeletal” comments have begun! I love your analogy of Sept 1 being the start of a new BSD term.
    I’m married to a professor, and he started back this week, so this really resonated wit me. A new start and a
    new page. Happy to see you back!

Shanik, Welcome! Thank you for your observation that this is the most active thread. We’re all proud of this.
    Something wonderful and miraculous is happening here. I look forward to your posts!

My lovely Mary, I’m really going to miss you next week! In the hope that you get to at least read some posts
    while you’re on vacation, I’ll be sending my thoughts your way. If you don’t come back, I WILL be hunting you
    down and dragging you back here! Your insights about that 2nd glass of wine being a lot harder to resist, YES!!!
    Try to put the face of Al K on that son-in-law of yours while you are away. Don’t let him win and take you to the
    dark side….Above all else, have a magnificent time with your daughter!!!

Love to all,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

CALLING Hello 66: Where are you, sweetheart? I hope you’ve had a good day. I haven’t slept more than about 10
    hours in the past 3 days, so I’m feeling a bit punch drunk today. (nothing to do with Al, don’t worry!) This morning
    I started the coffee pot, only to discover that I hadn’t added any coffee. What I essentially got was a pot of hot
    water. Now, I appreciate that tea is the national drink of the English world, bu I’ve never been able to develop a taste
    for it apart from the iced version during the hot summer months. I’m confused now after reading a previous post.
    Are you in the UK or Australia? I’m hoping tonight will be a nightmare free one. I really need some quality sleep!
    Hugs,
    Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Just a quickie as I spend God knows how long answering forums and lost the lot ! Funny thing about losing the lot ….
    I was struck down with a nasty virus , I awoke room spinning , absolutely unable to get out of bed or to walk unassisted , so taken off to Dr pronto !
    …. acute labrynthitis diagnosed , I had no Sea legs whatsoever , with horrid accompanying nausea and vomiting , felt like πŸ’©, so have been drugged up & confined to my bunk , not a pleasant cruise me thinks !
    As I was unable to focus properly due to visual disturbances including nystagmus , I had the doctor a little worried initially , until he did a few neurological tests to ensure nothing more serious was going on inside my head ! πŸ’‰πŸ’Š seem to be helping the situation , I was just glad Al had not been here , as I would have quietly cursed him , and blamed him
    entirely for my situation !
    Must say it’s not the most enjoyable cruise I feel that I’m on at the moment and admit to suffering a bit of cabin fever !
    I had a long post unfinished which disappeared ! I am feeling quite nauseous again , so must say bye for now , back soon when on dry land !
    H66 xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Hello66,
    How very miserable! A few months ago I had a similar reaction to an inflammation of the vestibular nerve in my
    inner ear, brought about from sleeping with a set of earphones pressing in my ear. The nausea and not being
    able to lift my head off the pillow without vomiting was horrendous. So glad that you got to the dr immediately
    for an exam and treatment. I sincerely hope that your symptoms will be short lived. We’ll be here when you
    are feeling better.
    Love and hugs,
    Allie

on

H66 that sounds awful. I actually had to look it up as well. Does sound like the worst hangover ever, so its good you hadn’t been keeping company with Al otherwise you might not have got to the docs as quickly. Rest up and feel better soon xxx

Allie, I am getting the “that’s enough now” comments, so have to look at maintenance sharpish now! A while ago I started upping my calories and now I’m at 1200 in the week and 1500 at weekends and have introduced some carbs. I have one small hovis lower carb loaf per week now. A nice sandwich keeps me sane and is also handy for lunches on the run or dinner even when I’ve had a long day! I had some rice as well last week and I have to say it was lush. Despite this (and the chocolate lapse) I’ve lost again this week so I’m 400g off goal now 😱😱

I’m going to 1500 per day I think. Slowly increasing is obviously what’s working for me but it has stimulated my appetite somewhat and I often feel hungrier than I did in 800 per day!

I’m off to Galway for a trip next week and will go off plan some. Though the full Irish is a good bsd tool, so will be having plenty of those. Once I know what damage I’ve done, I will look at increasing to 1500 every day though psychologically I do like having “extra” at weekends…

Generally I’m keeping my main meals the same though but adding in extras, so some dried apricots after lunch for that sweet hit and the occasional protein bar in front of the gogglebox of an evening (fulfil choc mint is my hero)

What are your plans or what have you being doing so far?

L xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello66…..You poor thing. I once went to work feeling normal, but, once I walked through the door I nearly fell over. My legs buckled and as you say the nausea! I had the same as you. It is a very vile illness. I found after effects lasted for years…some supermarkets make me queasy even now and it has been 15 years. The good thing is, it sometimes passes as quickly as it comes on. Take everything slowly. Try not to watch fast moving things on TV. I am probably telling you things you know already. Hope it all passes soon, take it easy.

Lots of love,
    Nonna Mary

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi guys, been away for weeks and weeks. Difficult times but am now back on it. Have put back on lots of the weight I lost, but not all. That’s something at least.

Joes Nonna, I was thinking about your daughter. I used to find things difficult with my mum, though our relationship has now improved. Might it be that she’s lacking in confidence at the moment as a new mum and is oversensitive to any criticism? Hope she comes to realise what an amazing person you are and how much she could learn from you.

Best wishes to you all. As Salvador DalΓ­ said, “If you’ve got it, flaunt it!”

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks so very much, LeeLee for sharing your strategy going forward. I’ve also upped my calories to around
    1200. When I recently checked my TDEE on 2 different sites, I got the figure of 1440-1450. I’ve just begun to
    up the net carbs from <20 to a max of 35. Where I’m getting confused is that represents a calories deficit of
    250 per day, totaling 1750 for the week. Unless I’m making some sort of mistake, that should result in a loss of
    .5lbs per week. However, for the past 2 weeks in a row I’ve 2lbs each week. I wonder if it’s at all possible that
    I may have actually changed my metabolism? I’m going to give some thought to upping the calories once
    again, but it does make me nervous! I’m eating exactly the same meals as before, but in larger quantities.
    Thus far I’m just not very hungry, and haven’t been tempted by any particular treats and certainly have no
    interest in carbs of the past. Wine and artisanal bread, along with beautiful cheese used to be my triumvirate
    of tragedy, so I’m afraid that I’m not confident enough to test those waters just yet. With this week’s loss,
    I’m .5lbs under the goal of having lost 50% of myself. That one is a real shocker. I’m embarrassed to have
    to admit it, to all of you AND myself! My BMI is currently 22, so I really am frantic to figure this out.
    You said you were less than a pound to goal. I’d be really interested to know how you arrived at your
    number. Was it based on a certain BMI? Dried apricots as a treat sounds lovely! I think I may have
    1 or 2 of those! I checked into the the hovis bread, but it’s strictly a UK product, so I won’t have access
    to it here in the States. An equivalent is probably available here so I may take a look around this side
    of the pond.
    So lovely chatting with you. we’re all glad you’re back!
    Allie

on

Hi Allie

I’m afraid I’m not very technical about these things! I had a look at calculator.net which gave me a range and tbh I just plucked 135lbs out of the air! It’s towards the upper end of the range but it went as low as 114lbs which I know would look dreadful on me! My bmi is 22.9, so could probably afford to go lower but I’m comfortable now and can’t afford more new clothes!

The same site gave me a tde of 1550, so that’s where my calculations came from…

My carb levels are now around 30% of total macros but does go higher on some days. It’s really just trial and error for me at the minute. I might have a look around the forum as well to see what others are doing…

Had all my hair cut off today. Figured with a slimmer face I could carry a short cut and have to admit I love it! It’s on the fb page bsugar if you want a gander!

L x

on

Oh, and I think you need to challenge yourself with adding a few different things (like the apricots) as I think that’s what’s slowing things down for me. Or I add a babybel cheese after meals sometimes….

Let me know how you get on xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.