New life choice for determined alcoholic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

We really need to push for a like button!

xxxx

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hi folks

I have So be enjoying playing catch up on this hilarious ad wonderful thread – watching all has struggles and transformations and laughing along- my husband and I are touring Italy in our camper and we use the stories here as campfire entertainment!

Lovely night last night- we decided to go to a national park and do some walking – it’s up mount conero on the Adriatic coast. We parked in a random car park and off we went. Came back two hours later and at the cafe where we parked there was a huge fifties jive event taking off! We couldn’t believe it as we met at a jive night five years ago and here we were In a massive national park and picked the one parking spot with hundred of jivers in it! With a view to the mountains and the sea under the twinkly stars, we rocked the night away.

In the middle of my first 36 hour fast today – I need To lose three kilos on next ten days to qualify for ivf. Wish me luck!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi there Onetowatch,

What a lovely holiday you are having. a massive Jive Event. How brilliant. Even with my gammy knees I would still be unable to sit still. One of my favourite dances! I am sure you had fun. Good luck with the fast, I think I am on a slow ….weigh day tomorrow…so watch this space and fingers crossed that I have lost.

I am looking after my 3 month old Granddaughter tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it. So different to today, with my 3 year old Grandson and his 1 year old sister. A different kind of babysitting altogether!

Hope you are all well. Keep the faith.

Love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by Acertainage
    on

Hi
    Not yet the end of my first week and fallen off the wagon.
    Actually not so much fallen as thrown myself off.
    Last Wednesday was my first day and all went well but on Thursday had the mother of all arguments with my prtner. We are not in a good place and have not been for some time, arguments are the rule rather than the exception, but this was on a different scale.Te awful thing was I dont know what started it. We said terrible things to each other.
    So when Al K Hole came knocking on the door I welcomed him with open arms. That was Thursday, Friday and Saturday – a bottle each night.
    Normally I am dreadfully upset , thinking dreadful thoughts about him, but I m just sad now. I have finally been able to distance myself and look objectively at the situation.
    I have been drinking to stop my diet=self facing the truth about our relationship.
    I know what my path is now and what I hav to do.
    I am responsible for looking after myself and this is day one.
    Al K Holr=e kicked firmly into touch
    My partner works away so he won’t be back fo two weeks.
    We need to sit down and talk rationally and booze does not help
    Sorry for dumping all this

A certain age

• posted by Hello 66
    on

A certain age ,
    So very sorry you’ve had this relationship dilemma which caused you to welcome ‘ Al ‘ with open arms , interesting that we’ve all turned to him in times of stress , & trauma , thing is we’ve all discovered that at the end of the day ( or 3 ! ) he fixes nothing & we usually end up feeling worse than we did before we allowed him in !
    Do hope this 2 weeks whilst your partner is away will give you time to settle into this way of eating , and time to reflect on what is best for YOU moving forward .
    I’m sure you know that rotten old Al will be trying his best to prove to you that he can help , so make sure you keep those doors firmly shut & locked , & turn up the music so you won’t hear when he comes a knocking !!
    Dont worry about dumping this on us , we’re all here to support each other , just hope you are feeling better , and not so sad , every time you feel sad …. smile ๐Ÿ˜Š, just try it , it’s really hard to feel sad when you smile , it probably looks a little weird to others as you sit smiling over and over and over like a loony , but who cares if it helps .
    Cyber hugs coming your way ,
    ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜ Hello 66

• posted by Hello 66
    on

One to watch ,
    How fantastic was your jive night , it sounded so much fun , and you painted the picture perfectly, almost felt I was there with you both , & what a wonderful omen for your relationship , as you met at a jive night 5 years ago , IVF here you come , I just know it’s going to happen ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน
    Enjoy the rest of your trip ,
    Love Hello 66 xx

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Buried Mum this morning. I’ll be back soon. Just so weak and beaten. Heartbroken too. She was my Mum. I’m still taking strength from linking arms with each and everyone of you. But I’m so tired. Thank you for carrying me. Still no booze but diet….meh. Much love, Liz

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

Fuck, just reaching out as I always want to be strong for you and I’m in tears as I’m weak. I’ll get back to where I need to be but I’m just so shattered. I’m an only child and on top of that Kev collapsed at work on Saturday and now is getting an ablation Friday where they go in through his groin, into the artery and put him in Afib then zap the bit that is misfiring. And I’m getting my colonoscopy Wednesday and I’m shitting blood and probably have cancer of the everything but don’t as probably just hemmies. I just wish the reality of the world would fuck off for just a bit so I can catch my breath. I’ll be turbo shitting tomorrow for my prep plus shitting as that’s what I do when stressed. Sorry for not being strong for you all. Much love, Soon to be Clean Colon Liz xo

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Dear Liz

You’re not weak, you’re just battered and shattered with grief and fright. Big huge hugs from me, Liz – a newbie (if that’s not too forward of me) . I am so sorry to hear about your mum. It’s bloody shite. xxxxx. Kev will be fine once he’s had the procedure and you will also be. Most likely hemmies – I had a similar thing. Just one day at a time, Liz, and speak to your friends and let them support you however they can. We’re all here for you and Kev and linking virtual arms. You are a warrior, our Liz.

Take care of yourself
    KazzUK XXXX

• posted by Inka13
    on

Oh Liz, I am so so sorry about your mum. You must be so sad and exhausted. Grief wrings you out like nothing else so please take strength from all of us and how much we care for you. What an awful time you are having.
    Who gives a fuck about the diet?? You haven’t had a drink which makes you about the strongest woman I know.
    You are amazing to have not succombed with the monumental amount of crap in your life at the moment!!
    You will be absolutely fine and so will your darling Kev, so think of us all standing behind you (not in a creepy way! ๐Ÿ˜ถ) and gathering you up to keep marching alongside us, clutching our mugs of tea.
    I hope the tests pass quickly and aren’t too horrible, sending much love xxx
    Inka

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh my dear, darling Lizzie….even in your grief and sorrow you are thinking of us! Now for some straight talking. You are not weak and you are not hurting us by talking to us! You are in such an effing rotten hole and we can help you climb, even lift you out of it. You have every right to feel sad and hurt. That is completely natural. The problems with our Kev just make it worse, you are so great that you haven’t had a drink! Anyone else, would be pouring out the biggest drink and inhaling it like it’s air.

Take the time to mourn, remember your Mum as the lovely and wise person she is. She made you! So in my eyes, she must be so wonderful. Remember the good times, all the childhood memories you can, presents she gave you and you gave her. Don’t try to NOT think of her, remind yourself of how proud she is of you and how she is not watching over you and loving you still. I fully believe that just because you can’t see her, doesn’t mean she isn’t there for you. You can still talk to her! My mum went 10 years ago and I say good morning and good night to her picture every day. It helps me.

Words are useless at times like this, but it does get easier. Chin up my friend. Eff the diet for now and come back when you can.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by fattyfattyboomboooms
    on

Sending love and hugs Liz. xxx Sorry for your loss.

• posted by Alex49
    on

I’m so sorry for your loss Liz. Take care, sending you love and hugs xxx

on

Had a weekend totally off plan and my insides are fighting back. My poor bowels are rebelling against the amount I suddenly have in my system. I am also up 6 lbs from Friday’s weight (I reckon 3 of that will be water/3 will be gain).

I didn’t record anything I ate or drank but if it was alcohol or carbs I had it Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday. It is SO EASY to fall down the well of over-indulgence….but I have climbed out of it.

Today is a recovery day and tomorrow is day #1 of 1000 calories average (with 1200 being the maximum limit).

I have a funeral on Friday and all I know is it is a buffet so I will take some of my home made dressing and hope for a salad option. The buffet is at 4 pm and there will be alcohol which I will avoid.

All the best.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

FFBB – yes, probably is mostly fluid. You’ll have it off again in a week’s time. It’s quite amazing how quickly the lbs go on without restraint. Sounds like you had a great weekend ! Just put it behind you. We’re human, not robots!

xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Dearest Lizzie,
    You have made friends for life here, and many more you have yet to meet while taking care of your Mother. I genuinely
    felt your panic, fear and distress because I was walking in your shoes a short year and a half ago. My Mother suffered
    a massive stroke, leaving her without the ability to speak, and half of her body was paralyzed. She died 5 weeks later,
    with all her daughters by her side. Contemplating life without my best friend was incomprehensible. So was the fear
    that she would continue on in the same manner, indefinitely. I hope the knowledge that your Mother lived to see you
    taking charge of your life will give you some degree of comfort. I know it’s the greatest gift you could have given her.
    Perhaps you might see your hard fought sobriety as a tribute to her memory.? I promise you that the memory of
    her in the condition that she was in at the time of her death will eventually dim, and you will remember her in happier
    times.The life force that guides me in all things I attribute to my Mother. One day this miraculous state will be
    yours, also. Nurture yourself now, Lizzie. Get some rest. We are all here for you. Let us know how we can help
    and comfort you!
    Love & Hugs,
    Allie

• posted by Canadaliz
    on

To my friends, Thank you so much for your outpouring of kindness. I am just sitting here in the kitchen with a mug of tea resting my mind. It is a really grey day and we are just starting into a thunder storm. Somehow the rain is quite comforting as I am imagining it washing away my sadness. It’s 28C but feels like 34. Very muggy.
    Today I’m prepping for a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow which probably wasn’t the best timing but it was booked weeks ago so I’ll just get it behind be so to speak. Kev will be fine I’m sure. At least they have a game plan. After this week I’ll get back in the diet saddle. I was able to stay away from the bottle throughout everything as I just know it would be a catastrophic fall if I succumbed. Truly, if I started I wouldn’t stop. Food, on the other hand has been pretty bad. Pizza, cake–you name it and I ate it. But fuck it–it’s been a bit of a bumpy ride. But Next week I’ll get back to a more disciplined approach to life. Just not today.
    Much love, Liz

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Best wishes Liz. Thinking of you

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

For it to be 3lbs gain in four days you would have had to have over 14000 extra calories over what your body used ffbb, so it is probably no more than a pound of gain, and the rest fluid. Try to increase calories more gradually though, your body will thank you.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Liz, sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine what you are going through right now, but make sure you look after yourself. Don’t worry about what you are eating though, if it makes you feel good or is easy at the moment it will help you to keep eating at a time where it is all too easy to completely lose appetite. All the best to you and Kev, and hopefully your health improves soon.

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Dearest Liz ,
    So very sad to read that your precious Mum passed away , my love , thoughts , and compassion come your way as you grieve this significant loss , hope you can gain comfort in the knowledge that her physical presence has been taken from you , but no one can take away the wonderful memories you have of her , and her spirit will live on in your heart always . โค๏ธโค๏ธ
    No more suffering , may she now rest in peace ๐Ÿ™

It will be good to get that colonoscopy over with , imagine you’re probably sitting s……. at this very moment ๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ’ฉ

All the very best to your Kev for Friday too , you’ve both been through so much this year it’s absolutely amazing that you’ve had the strength to keep off the booze , you really are an inspiration , this is why you are our beloved leader Liz , & always will be , we’ve all been missing you , & look forward to hearing more from you when you have had some necessary rest to recharge those spent batteries . ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Take care of each other you and Kev , and know we’re right there with you arms linked , sipping tea , my love to your Sons also , as they mourn the loss of their dear Grandma ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜
    Let us know if we can help in any way Liz ,
    Love from , Hello 66 xx
    ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

Hi Liz
    I haven’t posted for a while but just wanted to pass on my condolences too. Be grateful for the happy times you had with your Mum, how lovely for her that you were able to visit when she had her stroke.
    My Mum had two strokes a few years apart but then had a long and painful time of ill health until she died , 18 months later and I really believe she would have been better off if she had passed after the second stroke.
    I feel for you, I am with whoever said she will stay with you, I talk to mine in my head all the time and believe she hears or knows . Take care of yourself too.
    Good luck with the scope, don’t know if you have had one before but I had one a few months ago and felt nothing at all, I did have sedation , if you are offered it do take it. Mine was clear, hope yours is too.
    Sue

• posted by Madmare
    on

Dearest Liz
    I am so sorry for your loss. I too am an only child and I am dreading the day I lose my mum.
    I have been AWOL for a while. I have been the party to some information that has eaten me alive. This involves someone very dear to me so I cannot risk giving anything away.
    So Al K Hole (love this name) has been invited in every evening. He did not help at all but I needed something todeaden the pain.
    Been stone cold sober for the last two nights, its finally got through to me that if i am needed I have to be able to get in a car and drive at whatever time of day or night.
    It’s weird something has clicked a switch in my head and the old cravings are gone. I cannot say for ever but I was able to go to the shop tonight and buy OH a bottle of wine and watch him drink it without a flicker. Strangely my complete lack of interest in it has spurred him to say he does not want to drink wine in the week.

Liz, as usual Joes Nonnas wise words hit the spot.
    As she says we are all thinking of you, but its us making tea for you in your kitchen

Lots of love and hugs
    MM

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Dearest Liz, so sorry for your loss. While you rightfully grieve, know that you are strong (being able to grieve is a strength in itself), that your mum knew you are strong enough to manage now. As for the diet – meh – all in good time. We’ve learned so much and come such a long way already. You’ll be ready to continue the journey when you are ready. Hugs to you, Kev and the boys. – Crabbycams

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone!

Yesterday was a sobering day, with all of our hearts and minds with the indomitable Liz. Many “virtual” cars
    en route to Toronto and Lizzie’s warm kitchen, arms outstretched. I hope you were able to get some much
    needed rest, Liz. You are already stronger than you know, to recognize that seeking comfort in old habits would
    not be a good option for you now. Stay strong. You are not alone!

Nonna Mary, I am wondering how your tuesday weigh in went yesterday? Here’s hoping you received a positive
    result!

H66, your outreach last week meant alot to me. I so enjoy your quick wit in describing Al K so beautifully.
    I’m a retired interior designer and watercolorist, and as such tend to think visually most of the time. So,
    I have a frivolous challenge for you, and anyone else who would like to join in the game. I’ve been trying to come
    up with a visual of his face and figure that might be translatable to my new British friends. Do any of you remember the
    decades old sitcom, “keeping Up Appearances”? I’m picturing the character “Onslo” from that sitcom, with a few edits
    on my part. To add to the general dishevelment, I see lots of broken teeth, presumably the result of opening many.
    bottles and pulling many corks with the aid of his teeth, in service to us all. He also appears to suffer from “one arm
    longer than the other” syndrome, due to traveling the world with a very weighty portable bar (which no doubt contains
    some well smudged glassware). We know Al is always thinking of us! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enough foolishness, for now..

I’m off to consult a few cookery books to see what I might come up with . Today is our 48th (good grief!) wedding
    anniversary. Although it is not a “big” one, it means alot after this trying year. I’ve kept wine off the table since last
    week, but think we may share a nice bottle of bordeau this evening, in honor of the occasion.

Wishing you all a healthy and happy day.

Allie

on

I think full blown carb flu has set in with a helping of withdrawal for good measure!

What did I expect when I am coming off a 4 day bender? I have no-one to hold accountable but myself but I have learned from it and I am back on that poor, battered horse!

I added some lean minced pork to my tea as I thought it might help but I didn’t enjoy it. I seem to prefer the veggies with passata and a sprinkle of cheese and it feels lighter in my stomach so I shall revert to that from tomorrow tea.

May you all learn from my mistakes/missteps.

FFBB out XX

on

Allie, I am a Supernatural fan and as soon as I read “visual of his face” I immediately pictured the old bloke from the episode “The Benders” I can just imagine him forcing a drink down my throat with a wheezy and sinister chuckle. I am afraid Onslow won’t work as a deterrent as he was a perfect foil to Hyacinth but I like your thinking.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Nonna Mary, how did the weigh in go?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello Peoples,

Thank you for remembering my weigh in day was yesterday. I am pleased to announce….drum roll…..I lost 3 pounds this week. I am very pleased. I know it isn’t as much as other people manage but that is marvellous for me!

Allie…I imagine Al to look a bit suave, maybe a cross between Cary Grant (maybe the voice and twinkly eyes), Denzel Washington (just the most symmetric of faces), George Clooney (a great smile again with a twinkle) plus the humour of Robin Williams. He has to be very attractive or we wouldn’t want to be in his company so much, would we? I think I could fall for this bloke…The first thing I noticed about my Jovis was his eyes. I had snogged him for 3 weeks before I noticed he had a moustache!

Congratulations on being married for 48 years! Jovis and I have been together 42 years, but married for 39. How long have you been together? Have a great evening.

FFBB, sorry you have the carb flu back, but I hope you enjoyed your time ‘off’. You know what to do and should find it easier too! Well done for only falling for 4 days…I had a whole week. I am sure your gain will soon become a loss.

Liz, I thought about you a lot yesterday and today. I hope the colonoscopy wasn’t too uncomfortable and good luck to Kev for tomorrow. I have faith that everything will be fine.

Lots of love to all you wonderful BSDers.

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Nonna Mary, that’s fabulous! 3 lbs off. Very pleased for you.

I’m not sleeping that great. Monday and Tuesday night I was awake from 2.30am to 4.30am. I get up at 6am. But last night, being so tired, I slept from 9.30pm. I woke twice but turned over and went back to sleep. I leapt out of bed at 5.30am, refreshed and cleared out another kitchen cupboard whilst my pot of tea brewed! Unheard of! Energy, energy! I do feel fabulous even so. Just finished second mug and catching up with my friends here. Today is day 11. BUT, it’s my bday on Monday and I’m on holiday next week! A week at home with lots of “life laundry” stuff to sort out. Wish me strength! I’ll be fine with the food but I’m worried about Al knocking on my door… One day at a time. …

Time to get ready for work, I will catch up with you all properly later.

Kazz xxx

on

Nonna Mary….3 lbs lost is terrific. Don’t compare your losses to other people’s losses. Some of you have other challenges that can effect weight loss. Dare I say that maybe your week off gave your metabolism a boost? What did you have?

All the best, FFBB X

P.S I did enjoy the 4 days off. I am going to have another blow out on 17th September but keep it to 1 day….not 4!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hiya all,

KazzUk, I went through the not sleeping thing and not feeling any better too! It took me about 5 weeks to feel any improvement, I do feel a little better now, still have the odd sleepless night, but I have always been that way. When you have your week off and sort out your ‘Life Laundry’, love that description by the way. I call it housekeeping. If you think ..”I have been good working hard today so I can have a drink tonight…” Think again…”I will go on the forum and read peoples posts”. One day at a time!

FFBB…I think we all have to have a relaxed day occasionally…well I do anyway…however, I don’t like the idea of eating white carbs anymore, so I will just up my calorie intake.

The silly news is….I gained 2 pounds today…no doubt just water…Estate Agent coming to value the house later…so out with the cleaning stuffs. Take care Mon amies!

Love Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone!

FFBB, Nonna Mary, thank you for humoring me with your characterizations of old Al K. I read them both before lights
    out last night, and my head hit the pillow with a big smile on my face.

Oh Mary, what a wonderful result – 3 lbs down this week. Feeling so happy for you! You persevered and have victory
    to show for it. It’s fascinating that we see Al so differently. I hope you realize that the next time I see a Denzel Wash-
    inton film, I will be checking his back pocket for a bottle of wine with your name on it! Resist..resist…resist. To answer
    your question, Jim and I will be together 50 years come Jan. 2018. Our story is somewhat of an embarrassing cliche,
    the subtext would probably read something like this….” college football star wins pretty girl for his future bride” The
    actual truth goes more like this. “Intelligent, upstanding, born in- the- womb mature young man risks promising future
    with stubborn, willful, high strung young woman with a “smart mouth” and very few filters”.:) I hope you will enjoy
    the fact that I had to look up “snogging” on google to see what it meant! I was imagining all sorts of things…Hmmm

Wishing everyone here a fine day.

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hey Alliecat,
    I always forget that we share the world and not everyone knows our slang. For this reason, I have written a few comments and the translation. This is just for fun so please remember my tongue is firmly in my cheek! If you can think of any, join in!

Ar u avin a larf?….I presume you are finding this amusing at my expense.
    Wot the ell yu lookin at?….You seem to be finding myself interesting, if you donโ€™t look away I may hit you.
    An I aint even lying!…I usually tell untruths but today I am being honest.
    That cost me a Monkey that did…..I am not prepared to tell you the real price, but I will let you think I spent ยฃ500
    ‘er indoors knows wots good for er….my wife rules me with an iron rod but I don’t want you to know that.
    Thats pukka that is…..this is the genuine article (as long as you don’t test it or take it to an expert).
    If you don’t pack it in, yu’ll get a bunch of fives….I would appreciate your co-operation in ceasing this behaviour or it might lead to fisticuffs.
    I av always lived dahn sarf….I don’t think anywhere else really exists, except Spain where I holiday.
    I turned around and I said, then he turned around and he said, and I turned around and said…..I don’t know how we converse we are always spinning!
    I’ll learn โ€˜im to larf at me!….he finds me amusing so I may just hit him hard.
    I snogged โ€˜is face offโ€ฆ.we indulged in passionate kissing.
    Know wot I mean?….are you comprehending my explanation
    Bobs yer uncleโ€ฆ.that is the result
    Thatโ€™s the dogs bollocksโ€ฆ.this is a very good thing (I have no idea why!)
    Arse over tipโ€ฆfall over with the bottom end passing the top of the head
    Howโ€™s yer fartherโ€ฆnookieโ€ฆleg overโ€ฆ.rumpy bumpyโ€ฆ.bumping ugliesโ€ฆdoing the dirty deedโ€ฆ.hide the sausageโ€ฆ.a bit of the otherโ€ฆ.these all mean having sexual intercourse.
    Bostin!….that is really quite wonderful.
    Wots up duck?โ€ฆ.how are you?
    Cough it up, it could be a gold watchโ€ฆ.you have bronchitis, donโ€™t cough at me, I donโ€™t want to catch it.

I hope these amuse you and anyone else who reads them. They are genuine sayings with a little poetic license in the translation.
    Stay well,
    Nonna Mary xxx

• posted by Kerry9
    on

Sorry – only just seen this post as a newbie – well done on curbing the alcohol. I’ve been a ‘friend of Bill’s’ since 19th August 1996 and when I put the plug in the jug my smoking rocketed, as did eating sweet stuff – but they can’t do you for plump driving ๐Ÿ™‚ I stoppped smoking 7 months ago but my current battle, just two days into the 800/8 regime, is a craving for chocolate, cakes, apple crumble I’ll stop there……I really do miss my ‘start juice’ of a cup of Yorkshire Tea with one sugar – I never thought it would be such an issue. Still, like the alcoholism, a day at a time ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Kerry9….Welcome. We are all addicts of some sort and we all try to follow this way of life. Some of us crave carbs, some Al K Hole and some chocolate. No matter what the temptation we resist. Have you noticed no-one ever says I am addicted to Broccoli? I find it easier to say….I CAN have this….instead of …I CAN’T have this….if I tell myself I can’t have it…I want it more! I can’t start the day without my cup of tea and I have 2 sugars. However, I only have the one at the start of the day. The rest of the day I drink water…still and fizzy, herbal tea. If I am having a bad day…sod it…I will drink TEA….our glorious leader Liz…who is taking some personal time at the moment, is a big tea drinker. We sit (imaginary) in her kitchen and enjoy the cosy feeling of being with fellow sufferers.

Think of this…you gave up smoking….one of the most addictive substances…(so did I)…you can easily give up sugar. You have our support. Keep it going…you will reap the benefits. It took me 5 weeks…but I feel better and stronger and you can too. I look forward to your posts when you tell us how good you feel, and how much weight you have lost.

Best wishes,
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Kerry9, sorry late to realise what you were saying. O.M.F.G. 21 years being a friend of Bills,….so effing well done…You are a legend and can do anything you set your mind to!

I have your back…

Love Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi ladies
    Day 4 on the latest of the madmare restarts,
    However something is different this time. If you come into the Madmare stable regardless where you look, under the bed, behind the curtains, in the cellar, there is no sign ofAl K Hole. He has nor knocked on the door, tapped on the window, indeed no where in sight.
    4 days without alcohol. I am bemused – I dont know why i have found it so easy this time when its been so hard in the past.. I am 95% really pleased and 5% ashamed that I think 4 days booze free is an achievement. It has to be more than 10 years since I/ went this long without the demon drink. Even when I was on the diet befor I would have a small gin and slimline tonic
    There is a long way to go but one day at a time.
    I have a reminder on my phone at 6pm each evening (my weakest point) which asks the question Weight loss or Satans Piss?

Have to wait till Monday to see we=hat the loss is and if I can keep up the good work over the weekend, traditionally my downfall!Take care to you all
    MM

Makes me laugh every time.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

OMG madmare you can do this…I am your Jiminy Cricket…you are great and you can do this…lots of love, but I have to go to sleep now…i will be there tomorrow.

love Nonna Mary
    xxx

on

1 lb up. Not bad after the 4 day bender.

Funeral today. 2 services (chapel of rest then crematorium) and a wake, which, if you will pardon the pun, is slight overkill. I have no idea what I will eat as the venue wouldn’t tell me the menu. All I know is that it’s a buffet.

For my fellow UK-ers, enjoy the bank holiday weekend…..and stay strong.

FFBB X

• posted by Madmare
    on

Decided to record my weight loss since Monday in an attempt to stop myself sabotaging the good work.
    Lost 2 .75 pounds since Monday which makes my weight 11 stone 6lb.
    I REALLY REALLY want to be 11 stone or just under for my holiday.
    I have just over two weeks so is is achievable. If I dont but keep off the booze I will be happy

Have a good weekend everyone
    I

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Madmare, great to see you back!

I’ve recently registered, and have joined during the period of time that you were not posting, although I’ve been reading
    this thread almost since it’s creation. There is a tremendous amount of cumulative life experience here, as well as
    compassion for shared struggles. I’ve lost 142 lbs following the BSD. It’s pretty straight forward, and allows for
    occasional lapses. I’d like to share something with you. Here in the U.S. there is a support group known as
    “Alcoholics Anonymous”. One of their core principles is that it takes at least a year to achieve true sobriety, and
    it involves a great deal more than abstinence from alcohol. In the 10 months it took to lose the weight, I abstained
    completely. However, when my husband had some grave, life threatening health issues, I allowed wine to creep
    back into my life. With the help and wisdom here, I’ve again cast it out. For me, until I was tested by circumstances
    beyond my control, I didn’t realize old habits do really die hard. I hope that you reach your preholiday goals weight
    wise, but it’s possible that passing on the wine for the next 2 weeks, and during your holiday might represent a
    much greater accomplishment. I wish you every success, and look forward to getting to know you here. I offer this
    suggestion with gentleness and the utmost respect…It might be really helpful to you to read thru your past reply history
    over the weekend, which you say is your most challenging time. Sometimes our own words can be enlightening, and
    help to clarify past mistakes so that we have a better chance of not repeating them.
    Hugs,
    Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

KazzUK – Sorry to hear that you aren’t sleeping well. That must be difficult with a job. Everything I’ve read on this forum
    suggests most people enjoy much improved sleep following this plan. Maybe this is just a temporary phenomenon for
    you. Be wary of Al K over your 3 day bank holiday! He’s a cretin, be sure to keep the doors locked.

Kerry9- happy to have you here. You have already demonstrated a strong will and determination to put, as you
    say, the cork in the bottle, as well as the great achievement of giving up cigarettes! You should have no problem
    doing this. The cravings will pass..It is early days for you. I would be really interested to know your strategy for winning
    the battle with nicotine.

Mary, dear Mary – You are a delight! I had so much fun reading your post. I have these American colloquialisms, again
    with poetic license:

“tie on the ol feedbag”. This refers to pigging out in grand style in the southern part of the U.S.
    “he/she is a piece of white bread”. This means someone who is clueless,oblivious to the customs of any other
    culture than their own caucasian one, and has no interest in changing this state of being.
    “rednecks” – Young men whose idea of weekend entertainment is loading themselves into the back of a pick-up
    truck with an extra large beer cooler, and driving thru the dusty, rural towns in the South, shouting rebel yells into
    the darkness and tossing empties at stop signs along the way. Firearms are usually discharged.
    I hope you and Jovis enjoy the bank holiday. Perhaps some snogging might meet with your approval?
    Hugs, xxx

Allie

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Hi Allie , & hi all !
    Well as you see I’ve been A.W.O.L . & yes you guessed it , I have spent a bit of time with Mr . Al . K . Hole in recent days , and can I say you are ALL right about your imagined visuals of him …. For a start we know he’s a 2 faced B ……! ,
    That being a hard cold fact , why wouldn’t he at times look like Onslo the slob , & at other times Monsieur Le Suave ?
    He can ‘ appear ‘ to be both of those characters in the one night , even a ‘ supernatural hero ‘ to boot , when there’s an ‘ episode ‘ , or if anyone wants him to join him on ‘ The benders ‘ , I swear he is capable of bending the truth , and twisting words , along with oesophaguses ( or is that oesophagi ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚) , Can certainly turn stomach linings inside out !
    On occasion , capable of plaiting legs …. Ooh the list goes on !
    I’ve got so many images of his face etched in my mind girls , with a range of skin tones , from nude , to ruddy , at times pallid , blotchy , cyanosed …. the nose anyway !
    Talk about watercolour , technicolor , ( yawns did someone say ?! )
    He can even go sepia …. Or was that his rear end ….maybe the dizzy end ! !
    Well as I said I’ve seen a bit of him ,
    I had a Birthday , he did show up , started out ok , with a little Moรซt ….. ” Mow ay did you say ? oui oui said me ” … After that he suggested a little Veuve Clicquot …… he really is a Bollinger !
    I could have just as easily kicked him from here to Kingdom Come , but that’s another story for another day , I haven’t got my reading glasses on , so I can’t read very clearly !
    Hang on I’m not reading , I’m writing ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Excuse the mirth , I think that lemon tea has had an effect on me ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹
    Jokes aside , I’m really tired , and need an early night , doors locked , signs front and back .AL K HOL FREE ZONE !!
    Will get to read all the posts I’ve missed tomoz ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜H.66

on

Phew!

What an emotional day. It was upbeat but it was a long afternoon.

A***** had cards printed with S****’s picture from the wedding last October and a poem on the reverse. The poem is called Feel No Guilt In Laughter and it was perfect for the occasion.

The 1st 30 minutes we listened to a CD of him playing covers of 50’s/60’s guitar bands (he was a super talented guitarist). They even printed album covers from The Shadows onto the coffin.

The buffet was a total carb orgy. Sandwiches/pizza/quiche/potato salad. There was a dressed salad but it was feta and olives (yuk!) I waited until everyone else had eaten and then cleared the trays of the mixed leaf salad garnish. So I had that with my home made dressing. I had some cooked chicken breast when I got home (I didn’t want to take it with me as I felt A***** may be insulted and I would never do that to her).

Drink wise I managed to snag a teapot for my mum and our new friend and a jug for milk so I could keep them topped up (you can take Hospitality out of the girl……). I had their glasses of prosecco plus mine (3 flutes) and a barman brought us a jug of iced water with lemon and lime wedges and 3 glasses.

It was a good thing I didn’t want dessert because they catered for 50 X 1 (per person) desserts but people took 3 or 4 each before the staff twigged and they had no back ups. (I would have put a member of staff at the buffet saying 1 per person) My mum had a chocolate eclair and our new friend had a strawberry custard tart with whipped cream.

I am now going for a shower and to chill with some crap TV.

FFBB out. X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello Peoples….a lot of interesting posts here today.

Hello66…glad you are back. Hitch onto the wagon now?

Allie…I love your colloquialisms…I will see if I can think of some more.

Kazzuk….I didn’t sleep too well to begin with, but that is a problem of mine anyway. Alcohol withdrawal will upset your rhythms so give it time.

Madmare…you can do this!

FFBB…sounds like you did well with the food…and only 3 glasses of wine…well done.

Had the house valued today…we need to spend about ยฃ3,000 to make it completely saleable…then its on the market.

Stay well everyone,

Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning friends!

Welcome Kerry9. 21 years is a fantastic achievement ๐Ÿ‘

I’ve deliberately had my groceries delivered the past 2 weeks so as to avoid temptation from bread and wine! It’s worked so far and I’m now feeling quite strong and motivated! Lost 2 lbs this week. Have gone from 18.6 to 17.13. It’s SO good to see 17 again! Must be 2 years since I last saw that number! Woohoo!

I’ve done either a foolish or inspired thing – I’ve booked my annual review with the doc on Tuesday morning, followed by the nurse to extract blood for the usual tests. Liver function, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. So that will keep me in line over this weekend and curb any birthday temptations! Imagining my blood with a lager top froth fills me with shame! Whatever it takes, Kaz, whatever it takes ….!

Nona Mary- good luck with the renos. It’ll be worth it as you’ll add value. ๐Ÿ‘

Ok well I’m off to do a bit of gardening – no rain for 4 days on the trot – unheard of! The weed killer might just work rather than being washed away!

Thinking of Liz and Kevin and hope all went well yesterday.

See you soon, lovely people. ๐Ÿ˜˜

Kazzzzzzzzzz xx

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hi all

Apologies for the radio silence. It’s been a hectic week interspersed with a flare up of my stomach ulcer. It’s annoying but didn’t last long.

Since then, my appetite has been out of control and I’ve been fairly restricted in what I can eat. No salad veg or spicy foods. Enter the ole demon of ham and cheese sandwiches ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

So today I’m trying to climb back on the wobbly wagon. Fortunately I don’t appear to have gained weight but need to stop the rot now! Trying to do a 1000 cal today and I also have had my shopping delivered this morning, to stop the bakery calling.

Will be back later after I’ve caught up on all the news…

L xx

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

My darling Liz. How my heart goes out to you.

I lost my mum when I was 15 and I often think it is almost easier at that age. We didn’t have time to become friends or to appreciate each other. Too busy living teenage angst…

Now, you have a mum shaped hole in your heart but I KNOW how proud she is that you haven’t been tempted to fill it with booze. It wouldn’t work anyhow, but last year you might have tried and lost yourself in the process.

So, I’m thinking of you and Kev during all your troubles and hoping you are both well.

“When you speak of her, speak not with tears, for thoughts of her should not be sad. Let memories of the times you shared give you comfort, for her life was rich because of you.โ€ Author Unknown

L xx

๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆโค๏ธ

on

Glad you got your valuation Mary.

As the wine was prosecco, it was really 3 half flutes worth. I do feel emotionally spent today.

Got my paperwork through for the new job so next is a reference check and all should be good.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good Morning, Hello 66, All

I was thinking of you before falling asleep last night, I missed you and hoped that you just might have gone away for
    the bank holiday weekend. I’m sorry you’ve had a difficult few days. I can easily understand how a modest birthday
    celebration might turn into something else. I guess we all know that alcohol is a central nervous system depressant,
    and could return thoughts to happier days, allowing Onslo/Al to get his dirty trainer in the door (I’m definitely adding
    the “cyanosed nose” to his profile – he’s getting more repulsive by the day!). You may well feel a little ragged today.
    If I wasn’t on the other side of the Atlantic, and if you would permit me, I’d already be on my way to you with a bowl of
    homemade chicken soup (carbs be damned). Please treat yourself with kindness, lovey, and let us be the wind beneath
    your wings for awhile. We’ll carry you safety.
    Love and hugs,
    Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.