It works for older women too!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning Lynne – how are you?
    I started wearing some old leggings at the weekend that I’d bought to wear underneath trousers a few winters ago when it got very cold. Mostly indoors, but now a bit loose rather than stretched to their utmost, and quite comfortable.
    Hope your new uniform still fits ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning Frog ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Very tired after last week’s conference. Need some early nights!

I’ve tended to wear 60 denier tights in the cold weather – under my skirt or trousers. Funnily enough I picked them up yesterday and found myself wondering if they still fitted – well, they are like leggings. Aren’t they? LOL.

Yes, it still fits – loose, but acceptable for now. When weight stabilises I’ll decide if it needs altering!

You ok?

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Congratulations Busybee. It is so motivating to get a good start under ‘your belt’ and in your case off your hips.
    Sodding email is playing up on my PC and have masses of work to do. So annoying having to go through error messages etc and it is not if I can remember my passwords!
    Have a good day all whilst I tackle the error message code!

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hello all.
    Just turned 60 and, after dieting most of my life, found this website and book and really hope to have found ‘the answer’.
    As I have got older my weight loss efforts are too slow which results in me getting disheartened and going back to the giant chocolate buttons….which I do not share!!!
    I was drawn to this message thread and am inspired at your collective efforts and results. Well done all.
    So it is BSD day 1, 18 stone 5 (257lbs) (OMG I don’t like admitting that!) and I am sorting out a few meals for this week from the book.
    I do like that you folks have been able to tweak the foods to suit your own tastes and will keep reading to get ideas for future weeks.
    Good week to all

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Welcome LessLes. I am finding this way of eating relatively painless as long as I plan properly.
    Mr BB has been for his yearly check up today – had his bloods done a couple of weeks ago and guess what – his blood sugars are high. Off to the GP smartish. He is also over 14 stone but because he has had a lousy year with cardiac issues I have been tactful. He read the book a couple of weeks ago and is off tomorrow to get the cook book. Having a large steak pie this evening with carrot and swede mash with lots of butter. Me? I’m having chilli, leek and cabbage. Under 800 calories today.

• posted by anewday
    on

Good for you billingebabe. It’s more difficult when those around you eat anything and a lot of it. I have a roommate who eats a lot of candy. But it’s not worth it to me anymore!

• posted by Skinnyjeans
    on

Wow i did do a few days then hubby took me away so decided to crack on with it when I got back. This was last Sunday and weighed myself today (Wednesday) 4days!!! and lose 6lbs whoop whoop “get in!! those skinny jeans”

• posted by daisykate
    on

I admire you all so much!
    My book arrived and I started on Thursday and had 956 calories, not good. Friday even worse. How do you do it! I am thinking perhaps I should try the 5.2 version, what are you actually having for your meals. Could someone post a days menu, I just get to evening and raid the fridge.
    Did you all just get with it straight away.
    I am going to have a good go today, perhaps my body and mind are not in tune yet ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi daisykate

Do you use a calorie/carb counter? Try Fatsecret.co.uk or .com in US or myfitnesspal or one of the many other apps/pc programs.

Try and plan your days food in the morning then you can make sure you stay within your own personal limits.

Maybe start by spending a week just not eating simple carbs … bread, rice, pasta, biscuits and cakes.

Choose your own limits. MM suggests 800 calories and 50g of carbs a day. Most people find that the carbs are more important than the calories for losing weight, so try and stay within your limit. You could always start at 1000/1200 calories and 50g carbs and come down in a few weeks.

Drink plenty of water. When you’re hungry cold water often does the trick!!

I eat full fat yogurt, strawberries and walnuts for breakfast or eggs with tomatoes or smoked salmon.

Lunch, soup or salad with cheese or tuna, or omelette with mushrooms etc.

Dinner can be fish or chicken with steak occasionally, I’m not a meat lover, with mashed cauliflower and/or other vegetables . Courgetti with pasta sauce or chilli, or cauliflower rice with stir fry …. the possibilities are endless!

My treat is 2 pieces of Lindt 90% chocolate which fits well into my plan most days!

In essence check the carb content of your favourite foods, you’ll be surprised by some, and just go for the low carb stuff.

It may take a bit of work in the beginning but you soon get into the swing of this way of eating.

Good luck!!

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hi daisykate,
    I know exactly what you mean.
    I was really shocked at how little 800 cals was on my plate, especially weighing and counting in the fruit and veg, but to to be more realistic, how much I must have been overeating before!!!
    I have managed a couple of days under 800 and will aim for the weekly average to be somewhere near.
    Hi also verano, much appreciate the ideas and more relaxed approach. It is so easy to get bogged down in details and try to go full pelt straight away. I have been struggling to find satisfying foods within the limits and the researching takes time, so many thanks.
    OK, my challenge is to enjoy my salads without bottled sauces/mayo etc and to which I should be adding natural oils! Anyone have any good recipes or ideas?

• posted by daisykate
    on

Thanks for your replies.
    I am registered with Nutracheck to count my food, but perhaps I have had too many carbs they don’t show a carb count just calories.
    I have an old carb counter book somewhere, I will have a good look for it !
    Your menu looks really balanced, gives me a better idea of a days eating.
    One thing I did was make a dressing of 3 tbsp. Olive oil 3 tbsp. lemon juice and topped the little bottle up with white vinegar and added sweetener and a few herbs, no idea of the carbs, I just shake the bottle up and its quite tasty. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Dontworrybhappy
    on

Afternoon

I’ve been dithering for some time now about starting the Blood Sugar Diet and have finally decided to commit to it. I have just turned 58 and need to lose 6 stones. My first grandchild is due in November, I want to be healthy for myself but also to be a fun, active gran๐Ÿ˜ƒ I have enjoyed reading all your posts and have been inspired to get started. Today is the first day of the new me๐Ÿ˜ and I would love to join your group.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi daisykate

You don’t mention whether or not you have diabetes. If you do then the amount of carbs you have is really important . Try fatsecret.co.uk it’s really easy to use and you can also record your weight. It’s very useful if, like me, you start to gain weight, because you can check back easily and see how many carbs and calories you’ve had. I hadn’t realised that my carbs had crept up this week, but at least I know now how to start losing again!

• posted by daisykate
    on

Hi Verano, I don’t have diabetes, but I do have an underactive thyroid and other ‘ oldie’ health problems which could improve if I follow a lower carb plan, I will take a look at the fat secret site, thanks.

• posted by daisykate
    on

Hi Don’tworry, everyone is very friendly here, they will soon sort you out lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by WFC
    on

Fantastic news, started the 800 diet a few days ago, have slipped a couple of times until I get my head around it but have still lost 3lbs. My knees will love me once my other 2st has gone too. Thanks for the positive reports, it will really keep me going.
    Thanks

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Hi daisykate. Maybe I am just lucky but I have only been hungry once, on my second day. I manage daily by sticking to the same breakfast – 150g of Total full fat yogurt and raspberries Lunch is soup – and never over 150 calories which takes me under 300 leaving me 50 for milk in coffee, and approx 450 for supper. I do drink a lot of water and have an apple for a snack if my tummy rumbles but this is no more than a couple of times a week. A hot drink usually sorts me out. Having said that I was not going to use the recipe book I have now changed my mind and find it really helpful.
    I have masses of energy – and I certainly didn’t 4.5 weeks ago and am now sleeping like a log.
    Dontworrybhappy. Please keep us updated on how you get on. Grandchildren are such a gift and of course you want to have fun with him / her. Plan your meals, drink masses of water and enjoy watching the pounds disappear.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

LessLes,

I discovered the trick to dressing salads without racking up huge calories in oil is to make a small amount of dressing and then toss with your hands. You will not believe how well dressed the salad is. A couple of salads done this way and your old versions will seem painfully heavy and soggy.

Here’s my basic dressing for a big dinner-sized salad for two: 1 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil, .5 tbslp red wine vinegar, 1 tblsp Dijon mustard, 1 garlic clove minced or pressed, salt and pepper to taste. Measure everything into the salad bowl and whisk it up with a fork until emulsified. Add the salad and toss with your hands until distributed. Feel free to pile on the greens and veg. A little bit of this dressing goes a shockingly long way. I’ve used this with everything from spinach to Romaine to endive, plus whatever I had lying around for additional veg. Total calories for the whole batch of dressing is 144, with 2 grams carbs (one each from the garlic and the vinegar), so per serving it’s 72 cal, 1 g carb.

For tuna, chicken and egg salads, I still use mayo (Hellman’s Light has 1 gm of carbs and 35 calories per tblsp), except I only use 2 tblsp of it per cup of protein. To fluff it up a little, a press a clove of fresh garlic and squeeze half a lemon or lime into it and whisk. It tastes fresh and delicious, and adds enough moisture to bring the salad together.

daisykate,

Three tblsp is a lot of oil for a single batch of dressing. Do you use it over several salads? By itself 3 tblsp of olive oil is 360 calories, almost half your daily allotment on the BSD 800!

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Day 57 – I have done it! and like others I am thrilled that I made the first 8 weeks (even though I was determined at the start – haven’t we all been determined 10’s of times in the past). BGLs still really good, 4-5 in the morning, 5-7 when taken 2 hours after evening meal. I’m 68 and while my loss of 10.6kgs isn’t amazing (it is just over halfway to goal) for the first time I am not happy to stop now that I can fit in to some old clothes and few people have noticed (not many). I am the lightest I have been in 36 years since my 2nd daughter was born after I had gestational diabetes (undiagnosed till she was born a whopper).

Most of all in this post I want to THANK EVERYONE ON HERE. It has become a bit addictive to log on everyday and more than once. As well as giving tips these forums just kept me focused.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Well done Jenny from the block – your 10.6kg loss is amazing and to be over half way to your goal is fantastic.

I am also addicted to logging on to this forum every day. My initial goal was just to improve my retinopathy – but as soon as I logged on I realised that I could achieve so much more. I couldn’t have done it without this forum and am now just a few pounds off my goal weight and completely off insulin and no sign of retinopathy.

• posted by Aria3
    on

Morning billingbabe and all. Back to reality with a bang after our break away. Close family bereavements and the upset and worry that goes with it have sent blood sugars sky high and I cannot get them down. Blood test at Drs last week and results next not looking forward to it but I know with the support of you all on here I can turn it around. You are all doing so well, off to buy the recipe book this morning and wil be printing off meal plans. I wish I liked yogurt ! Breakfast is the hardest meal I find. Will check in next week, stay positive.

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Hi Aria. Good to have you back posting but sad to hear about the bereavements – always stressful. Maybe being back home and having some control over what you eat might help. I always feel, if I know I can get control in one area of my life I feel more settled.
    However for me control was not much in evidence today my, almost 7 year old twin GC staying; cooking all day, a lot of noise – all happy which is great but still a bit OTT for a granny. And I fell off a swing – dignity not intact, but the rest of me is! However eating the 800 calories today crept up with probably at least 1500 consumed today. Tomorrow is another day – and I am only human.

• posted by Busybee
    on

End of week two and have lost 4 1/2 lbs which is a total of 13 1/2 lbs over the two weeks. I hope to Lose 1 stone and three pounds by early December (when I will be 70) which will take me into 14’s! I hope that is not too optimistic.
    We can do it.
    X B

• posted by LessLes
    on

I did it. I survived week 1.
    On Saturday I felt so well I and wondered if I was doing it correctly and on Sunday I was ravenous. How weird.
    Calories averaged at 900 per day for the week and I managed 2 fast days which does help with the calorie ‘banking’.
    And I lost 15 lbs!!!! Can’t believe it. So chuffed and ready to take on week 2.
    I have tried a couple of the dressings above (thank you for the ideas) one with lemon and one with mustard both of which were really tasty but I do find it odd adding oil to my meals after years of ‘low fat’ indoctrination.
    And I ate avocado on purpose instead of avoiding it!
    Does anyone use coconut oil? Does it make the meals taste odd?
    Even though I have struggled with my weight for years, I have been very lucky with my health and not developed diabetes etc but when I read the book I thought it would be the best way to tackle my sugar/carb obsession. My answers to the carb quiz in the book were mostly yes. Not good.
    The added bonus this week had been a whole week of no snacking between meals, mainly at this stage because the calories would not stretch to it. This is a huge thing for me. I would love to make this a habit and save the calories for healthy and satisfying meals….with natural oils!!
    We can do this!

• posted by Strawbs
    on

Blooming Heck Lesles that’s a fantastic result and thanks for sharing it. I’m on day 2 of the 800 cals per day and not doing too bad, but the lack of carbs especially sugar is a real struggle. I’ve had to result to drinking a diet coke or 2 just to take the unbearable cravings away…………..Thanks for the inspiration 15lbs in 1 week! that’s amazing well done you. x

• posted by Skinnyjeans
    on

Well one week gone and 7lbs lighter! Just planning this weeks menu. Hope it’s good this week too!

• posted by Aria3
    on

Hi billingbabe and all, with an extra hour to while away today I thought it was time for an update ! My word for this week is planning ! All the family have gone home now and have a few days off work. Billingbabe, our life stories seem to run in parallel as I too have a husband with cardiac problems, twin grandchildren, belong to a great book club and love to go off walking. I hope you have recovered from your fall. Getting results of blood test this week, I really am going to knuckle down and get this under control. Have lost about 5lb since starting but seems to be one day on bad and then one day off. Put on a dress last night that I have not worn since February and felt good not tight at all. So quite inspired. Have a good day all !

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hi all, week 2 done and managed a 4lb loss.
    Thanks for advice to plan, I had done main meals but then had too many options when standing at fridge for other meals.
    Have now planned all meals, all week, I sometimes change my mind and swap, but at least I know the cals of my regular stuff and have it in stock.
    So in that way it should be easier but I feel sooooo tempted today, not with hunger….just want it!!!
    Am re reading your posts above for inspiration.
    Hope all hanging in there and getting good results. And hope blood tests were good Aria3.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi everyone, I’m 61 and fully started the BSD yesterday. I have been dabbling for a few days and have already lost 2lb! Did my grocery shop today, it was like going on an adventure, or a treasure hunt (do I need to get out more?). I have about 15lb to lose and hope (expect) to see a turn around in my health issues (nothing debilitating but warning signs…)
    Today was so great I thought I must have eaten more than I should! I did get in my car delighted to find I’d made it to lunch time with no real hunger – then realised I’d forgotten to put the car clock back at the weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ (did my grocery shop in the spare hour).
    Reading the posts on this threaf is encouraging, and helpful. Can’t wait to see what a whole week holds ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi Daisiesmum.
    Many of us older ladies are heading for the big 70 soon so you are an Autum Chicken. Good luck with your first week.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Oh, Busybee but the combined wisdom of the years of experience will be extraordinary! I must admit I do that thing where I forget I’m not youngish until I catch a reflection of ‘my mum’ and then suddenly realise it’s me! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi. Not sure if I have posted on this one before but as a 62 year old I think it is relevant to me. Great to read all the success stories and hints and tips on here. I am just in the last week of 8, and today broke a major barrier 9st 13lbs!!!!!!!!! The first time under 10st for many years. Total loss so far 17 pounds. Final target is 9st 7lb I think. I seem to be loosing 1 or 2 pounds a week so will keep on for a few more weeks.

I must admit that I have not been very strict this last couple of weeks as I have had my daughter visiting from Australia, although she has been enjoying the food and has lost a couple of pounds herself. We made courgetti carbonara last night – it was very good. She is off again tomorrow so I will buckle down to get rid of those last few pounds.

• posted by Snoop
    on

That’s great news, Norfolkgal. Congratulations!

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hi Daisymum, well done taking the plunge. It is honestly not as difficult as you may think and having good weight loss rewards makes all the difference. Can relate to the reflection comment too! My mind and body are definitely not in sync!!
    And Norfolkgal, awesome!! You must feel over the moon.
    I am totally amazed at how well and quickly you guys have got back to weights that you have not been for ages.
    Trying to commit to ‘traditional’ dieting always made any weight loss journey seem so long and it such a relief to know that it does not need to be like that any more.

• posted by LessLes
    on

Week 3 minus 1 lb. Not really a great result for the effort but have gritted teeth and am persevering.
    Will aim to up exercise and double check food this week.
    I did try on some clothes and am wearing a shirt I have not been in for a couple of years, not because I have returned to the weight I was when last wearing it, but because the weight is shifting from my midriff. Really pleased with that as it has always been out of proportion to the rest of me!!
    Hope all hanging in there!!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

At the end of week one (plus 2-3 days of dabbling prior to my official start) and I have lost 6lb! My jeans are starting to feel a bit looser (though they are my ‘next size up’ jeans). My BMI still indicates overweight, but only just. I am really pleased with the results so far and am excited to continue despite having a couple of very tough days feeling extremely hungry (hangry!). Woo hoo!

• posted by Jan54
    on

Started the diet a couple of days ago and only lost a pound so far. Got the headaches in the first couple of days but thankfully they have now gone. But am worried that I don’t feel hungry at all? Is this normal? I actually feel quite full even though I am obviously eating less than before!

• posted by Avila
    on

Our bodies adjust and a lot of hunger is not real but the carbs triggering cravings. I know the difference if I have had the refined carbs again as I suddenly want to eat everything again. But with the fats and proteins we feel full.

• posted by Jan54
    on

Thanks! Good to know as I thought I must be doing something wrong. Cheers.

• posted by Midwlyn
    on

Hi everyone, I have started today. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but yesterday’s utterly disastrous sugar overload has forced me into action. I am 17 st 6, 55 years old, and determined to be healthy. I had a poor blood sugar result last year and dropped quickly from 19 st to 17, but complacency has once again distracted me. I plan to stick to 800 plan and have emptied my cupboards of junk this morning. 6 assorted packs of sugar, a multi pack of chocolate,caramel bars …oh dear! I had a chicken and avocado breakfast, planning veg soup for lunch, and possibly chicken salad for supper, to finish off the Sunday roast.
    Your posts are so encouraging and informative, I feel I can do this.

• posted by Jan54
    on

Good luck Midwlyn! It helps to plan meals in advance I think so that you are not tempted to worry about what to eat today! As there are only two of us in the house (kids flown the nest) I find a lot of meat packaging caters for 4 so have split into two and frozen half…. before I would just cook the whole lot (hence the weight increase!!!)

• posted by Midwlyn
    on

Thanks Jan, I think I am clear on what to eat, it’s the portion sizes that I will need to be careful about! I will do what you say, and also freeze portion controlled meals for busy days. I am worried about cravings, my downfall.

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hi all.
    Hope headaches have stayed away Jan54, they can be so undermining. Keeping hydrated does help. And yes, isn’t it weird not to feel hungry? I do crave things occasionally and agree with Avila that the feeling is the sugar/carbs craving not genuine hunger.
    Welcome Midwyln, well done on the cupboard clear out, so much easier without the temptation around. Good luck with your first week and keep planning to stay in control!!
    I have just finished week 4 and had a 3lb loss. Calories averaging around 900 a day which is feels doable.
    I am really trying to eat healthy and filling foods and doing my best to not see the increasing seasonal bad stuff around!!

• posted by WeeMidgie
    on

Hello everyone, it’s great to find a home for us golden oldies! I’ve been cheering you on, you are all doing so well, and I’ll be starting properly when I return from holiday on 26 November. I suspect I’m very carb intolerant as I generally feel much better when I leave them out completely in the form of grains, sugars and starchy veg. I don’t drink alcohol as it doesn’t really agree with me.

My biggest issue is feeling cold, so big pots of soup and lots of hot drinks will help, My aim is to get healthier and to reverse a slow increase in size. I was a UK size 10 for many years, but over the past 10 years have become a 12, and lately that is becoming a bit tight. Time to call a halt. I haven’t been near a doctor for about 6 or 7 years, and I realise I’m very fortunate (having been ill in the past), and I want to keep it that way! I’ll be retiring in Spring 2017, so I hope joining in and improving my health will give me a boost in these last few months of work.

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Hi everyone. Its good to find this post. I’m 56 and started the diet last week and I’m flabbergasted that I’ve lost five pounds in my first week! Shocker! Its great to see how you are all getting on. I have two stones to lose and I’m trying to follow the 800 cals plan but struggling. I need to plan my meals better and stop flying by the seat of my pants. I’m also very good at giving in to temptation. I have “naughty” food in the house for my husband and young grandsons but haven’t had any trouble resisting them so far. Good luck everyone.

on

Many posters have asked ‘does it work for older people’ and I know they have been reassured by many. I want to add to that encouragement. 12 weeks into my new way of eating and my first BSD HbA1c is 5.7. I have lost 13 kgs, 2.4 of them since the 8 weeks by sort of doing 4:3 but always eating the new way. Despite normal BGLs since the evening of day 2, I was nervous about my HbA1c results, I guess as sometimes we wonder can this be so good. I’m 68 (for 4 more days) and on cloud nine. Introduced the GP to the BSD and gave her my spreadsheet for the 8 weeks, was relieved when she seemed very interested and is going to read the book.

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hi all.
    Fantastic news Jenni from the Block, well done you and how refreshing that your doctor was open to finding out more details.
    And yes WeeMidgie, it took me a while to realise that it was me that was cold not the house!! I am not keen on feeling cold but try to tell myself that it is burning up calories!! Am looking for soup and casserole recipes to help me get through. Anyone have any favourites?
    Week 5 finished and -4.5 lbs. I am still amazed that it does work for us older ladies as it has been so painfully slow in the past.
    Hang in there gals

• posted by LessLes
    on

Hi all,
    I have finished my pre holiday/Christmas challenge.
    Total weight lost 2st 2.5 lbs (30.5 lbs)
    Stats. Bust -4 Muffin top -6 Waist -6 Belly -6 Hips -6 Yippee!!!!! OK, so there is loads more to go!!!
    It has been such a revelation that weight can be lost so quickly but relatively easily and safely. On top of that I have felt really well and assume it must be the combination of eating healthy foods, lack of refined foods but also the feeling of being in control which is big thing for me as I used graze or be seeking or thinking of food all day long.
    So, if I can do it for 6 weeks, I can do more in 2017. 70lbs to go
    The big challenge is not to go too bonkers before then!!
    Very best wishes all, love reading all the forums, see you next year.

on

It’s the little things that bring home our progress and changes. 1st beach swim of the season in Melbourne today and my good bathers from last season were literally hanging off me in places that don’t look good. Now oddly celebrating that I have to spend significant $$$ just before Xmas.

• posted by Busybee
    on

If I may, I would Iile to add my 10 pence worth for the older lady.
    I have been “on a diet” since I was 15 (anyone remember Limmits) and have gained weight each year. I have only been what I call slim twice – once when I lived on apples and once 6 years ago when I suffered 9 weeks on the very popular LCD containing just shakes and bars.
    I gained another two stones over the past two years as I have PMR and have been taking steroids though just today I have the lowest ESR result and am now down to 2 mgs of Prenisolone. I perhaps have been blaming the steroids rather than am over active fork! Last October I was at my heaviest at over 17 stone!
    I remember saying a while ago after yet another attempt at another weight loss that when I get to 70 I will give up and eat and drink everythingI want. Well, I will be 70 on Wednesday and I am NOT giving up.
    I have completed my 8 weeks on the BSD today and have lost one stone and 6 pounds, feel so much better, my bowels issues cope well without those nasty carbs and I am enjoying walking. I haven’t stuck to 800 cals but have not eaten any carbs except those allowed in vege etc and those in the odd glass of wine!
    I intend to enjoy some nice food and an odd glass of fizz over this weeks and Christmas and will start again in January to get down to a weight that I am happy with.
    Thank you for listening and all good wishes for Christmas and 2017.
    X B

Please log in or register to post a reply.