Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Frog!!!! Egg and wine for breakfast? I don’t know if I’d have the stomach, oh my days. The things we’ve done to lose a few pounds.

Haha brilliant. Hmmmm, maybe you could offer her some of your old clothes? Lead balloon dot com?

Morning Ruth (or evening, I suppose for you!). The rolls are high in carbs, no two ways about it. The second batch I made for the children, I got 12 out of the mixture, which would decrease it somewhat but still too high for anyone following this and devoutly sticking to 30 – 50 carbs a day. But for the times when ‘needs must’ – for me, such as my upcoming long car journey of about 7 – 8 hours… one of those will be better than stopping in a Motorway service station. Or eating shop bought bread. Thank you for your lovely comments about my photos. I don’t feel the same about my birthday ones. I was so determined not to be fat at 40, I wanted photos I could look back on and feel proud of. Put in an album. Maybe I can get someone to photoshop them??? Thank you for asking about my husband too, he hasn’t been too well this week, day or night time. I might try and gently prompt him to phone his consultants secretary to see when his next review is due and if it’s too far away time wise, to ask if he could be considered urgently for a last minute cancellation, as we only live about 3 miles from the hospital.

Gavin – still waiting for my egg boiler, so please, keep egg related comments to a minimum please 😉 I am craving an egg like I usually crave pizza.

Louise – good luck with your BSD start tomorrow. I’ll eat my hat if I ever find I managed to come in at 800 precisely. It’s just a ballpark figure, but try and keep it in the ballpark as much as possible.

I do have more news for you all this morning but it’s going to be a rambly, advice sought type post, possibly more so from some of you long timers who might glance but not comment. But first, the beef must go in the slow cooker.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning Lucky

I’ll look out for your next post.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Avila, I love that proverb, never heard it before but looks like good advice for anyone to take!

Morning Lynne, thank you, you’re a bit of a legend around these parts 🙂 And it’s probably not anything anyone can shed light on, merely just one of those things, or maybe everyone will think ‘How the bloody hell should I know!’…

Right… the last three mornings, I’ve lost a total of 2.7kg. Which is great, I’m not complaining by a long shot. I have relaxed my counting of carbs and calories, because I’d done the 8 weeks and three extra at 800 and I was starting to flag a little. I was absolutely chuffed yesterday when the scales hit 14 stone 13 but to be honest, I was expecting fluctuation to 15 stone and back the next couple of days. So when I woke up this morning, and I was ANOTHER kilo down, I stepped off the scale. Found my weight, weighed it. Yes, scales correct. Weighed again. Kilo down.

Any other time my instinct would be to rush here and tell everyone my good news. Even posting from the bathroom on some occasions, and I thought to myself. Four mornings, 3.7 kg – which is a tad over 8 lbs – gone. I know this diet is a miracle worker, but in week 12? In half a week? Really??? I even thought to myself, will people think I’m lying? Not that I’d have anything to achieve by it but, really?

I haven’t even been walking. I’ve got a pain in my heel which has stunted my daily step count to 2 – 3000 at best. I think back to my weightlosses on the first 8 weeks, and my best was (obviously) week 1 – when I lost a stone. My next best was (if I remember rightly) week 6, when I lost 5 lbs. But even that came after a big fat zero the week before. The only thing I can think… I’ve been away twice in recent weeks. One five day camping stint, where I did have a few treats but not to excess. And a weekend away last week, where – with the exception of two bottles of wine (shamefaced) and one small half of a roll with egg mayo on – I stuck to plan. Even took hummus and veg sticks to the christening while everyone around me scoffed pastries and sarnies.

Have I essentially cocked up so much to the extent that I’m experiencing ‘Week 1’ weightlosses all over again? Because this amount of weightloss in such a short time, so far into this woe, seems bizarre. Or is it actually possible to still pull in these large weightlosses so far into it when you’re a larger person? I am still quite big after all, I’m 14 stone 11 today, so there’s still a long, long way to go for me. I know nobody can give me a definitive answer, I suppose I’m looking for someone a way in to the plan who has – maybe on holiday – not been eating strictly BSD for a week or two to tell me that yes, when they got back on it, they had a huge weight loss again. Or could it be because I’m essentially on a ‘new’ diet to my body, because I’m slightly increasing what I’m eating on some days (but not all because I just can’t now!) and so I’m getting first week weight losses? I really don’t understand how the body works, I don’t retain information well. To me it just doesn’t seem possible, and I’m not as bouncy about this weightloss as I was yesterday’s. Which is a bit sad, because for me, it’s the only reason I’m on it, there is no underlying medical problem.

I really probably haven’t explained myself as well as I wanted to, made sense in my own head anyway. Sorry for rambling.

And – the Jeans of the Future are on, zipped up. These are jeans that although state size 20S, are not a size 20 pair of jeans. Bought at the same time as another 20S, same style, same shop, same rail even, the only difference being the colour, these are dark denim, the others light. I knew they were a good fit so when my old ones gave up, I went, I bought without trying on. Light fit me (briefly!) Dark wouldn’t go over my bum. Holding the waistbands up together, it is clear that they are nowhere near the same size. They’re an 18.

I really am sorry for rambling on this post (but only this one, none of the others 😉 ), I hope what I’m saying or even some of what I’m asking makes sense to someone.

Gavin – my egg maker is here!!! 9.50 am! I love you Amazon Prime!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Lucky, I think the body is a very strange thing.

I could never understand why my weight stayed level when day by day my waist was shrinking. I always said it was the visceral fat going, rather than the subcutaneous fat, but surely visceral fat has weight too?

So taking that as an example, perhaps you have been losing visceral fat with (somehow) less weight implications, and have just switched over the last few days to more subcutaneous fat losses? I was told that the body tries to deal with the ‘worst and most dangerous’ fat (i.e. visceral fat) first, with the more visible subcutaneous fat later (and slowest of all for the belly wodge, which I have to say even at 8stone 10lbs I can still see on myself!!!)

It seems from the Jeans of the Future fit that your measurements ARE going down, even if the scales were slowing.

I don’t think there is any conclusion to draw apart from that the body is a very strange thing, that you are not only losing weight but training amazing hormonal changes – switching the body to burning fat cells for energy – and that this takes time and has implications which are too complicated for us (and perhaps even for medical researchers) to fathom.

Maybe your body with its last weight loss is saying to you – ONWARDS! – and you should respond with a fresh look at what you’re doing (I know you’re switching programmes) as the pounds or kilos fall off.

Congratulations! Well done to your hormones! Let them get on with it! 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Lucky

Great results.

I think we need to remember that our body will do what it wants, when it wants. Sometimes we have a surprise loss, sometimes we stay the same or even have an unexpected gain (especially for ladies).

I’ve been away from home several times while on the BSD. A day conference, a 4-day residential conference, 5 days in Prague and 10 days in Italy (plus an overnight hotel near Heathrow). Each has been a learning experience.

The conferences came first and I had a good idea what food would be available. Being out of my normal routine made life ‘interesting’. I normally eat breakfast then evening meal but we didn’t finish until later so I ate a tiny amount at lunchtime. Dinner was 3 courses, but I ignored dessert and made the best BSD choices I could – and stayed the same. Prague I was definitely out of my comfort zone for many reasons. I gained a few pounds, which disappeared with interest within a week. I learned that I needed to be more careful with portion control.

Italy I stay with friends. We went to the supermarket for me to buy food I could eat when they have their breakfast carbs. Eating out I ate BSD friendly foods (which led to some interesting conversations), even drinking my black coffee while everyone else tucked into fantastic-looking ice cream dishes.

But I was diabetic. Having dropped my test results to ‘normal’ levels I font want to do anything to raise them again.

I’ve found I don’t get hungry during the day, that I don’t crave the foods that I used to live on, and that I feel so much better in many ways. I try to plan if I’m travelling and have been known (when nothing else was available) to buy a sandwich, eat the filling and throw the bread away!

I think we often over-think things. Can I suggest that you continue sticking with the BSD, doing what you’ve been doing on plan. Don’t spend too much time worrying about why the scales are changing. Just be happy that they’re going in the right direction. I think those of us who have spent time and money at slimming clubs worry that our loss is too quick, because of their mantra of ‘one or two pounds a week’ and being told we need to eat more if the loss is more.

The BSD has stood many of our old beliefs on their head and it takes time to adjust.

I hope at least some of this is helpful. Anything else, just ask.

It’s annoying when that happens with clothes. I’ve had 3 or 4 uniform blouses, all labelled the same size, but would sometimes try them against each other to see which was the smallest or largest depending on which I needed because they all measured differently!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Igor, that makes perfect sense, thank you so much 🙂 But just to make sure I have understood, in my own terms, my body is finally playing ball. I would imagine after losing over two stone that quite a lot of the visceral fat has been dealt with (I hope anyway!??) and so now, it’s the actual wobbly bits on the exterior that are copping it, and that fat (probably?) weighs more, hence both the insane weight loss and the jeans of the future fitting?

I do tend to overthink things and I am a bit of a worrier. Can you tell? 😉

Yes, I’m not coming off the plan as such, because it’s working for me. Most of the time. I can do most of it at 800. But I know some days will be 1000 – 1200 now. I don’t actually need so much more on the days I feel hungry, I don’t eat breakfast as a rule, never have, but some days I wake up famished and if I have breakfast, I have to forego lunch or have a smaller tea. I know this is psychological, but as I was a big eater, and I mean big, I could eat my tea and then be grazing well into the night, crisps, ice creams, chocolate, biscuits. The thought of being hungry at night terrifies me in that if I do snack, it won’t be on good things. So I always make sure my tea is the largest meal of the day, even if I have to leave some of the vegetables, or salad. I can only eat until full now. And it works, once full at tea time, I’m ok until the next day. So it will be the same foods, but just maybe more when necessary. Me + hunger = big problems. I am bonkers, I know.

Thank you so much, once again 🙂 And onwards indeed 😀

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Lucky, Igor is as usual full of wise advice. I concur with it all. We are very complicated beings!

I have read a lot over the past few years and I put a note on Roxanne”s post about staying put for weeks after losing 18kgs on bsd.

There is a woman in Australia called Dr Amanda Sainsbury or Sainsbury Salis who has been researching weight loss for many years. She talks about a famine reaction after some or, in your case a lot of, weight loss. You being kind to yourself and not stressing, just eating what you needed, without going crazy, was just what you needed, and now you are on your way down again because you are still eating fewer calories than you need to maintain your current weight, so you will lose. It is just science. If you look at HappyLife’s loss she had several weeks with static or no loss and quite a lot thereafter. I think CaptainLynne will agree as well. Google famine reaction Dr Amanda and you will find some interesting stuff. She also lost weight about 30kg I think

Please be pleased; you are going so well. Esp. great about the JOTF. Enjoy your eggs. And do not worry.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

See CaptainLynne was writing sage advice even as I spoke. And I completely understand about the hunger. It has always stymied me in the past, but I can cope with this WOE much better because I know nice food will come soon, albeit not too much!

Have a lovely Sunday all. I am going to watch Vera for all you Yorkshire lads and lasses. Sunday night telly.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Thank you so much for that Lynne, it’s interesting to see your weight fluctuations on your different jaunts away versus what you ate. It’s trial and error isn’t it? I too have sat with black coffee while out and other people have been shoving baguettes and baps in their mouths! It was tough at the time, but I’m fine now.

I totally appreciate that about your normal blood results. I daresay I would be so complacent right now if I was diabetic. I would forego anything in return for better health, I can’t say everyone in the world would, but I think most right thinking people would.

Yes, that is exactly what the thousands of pounds of slimming club fees have ingrained in me. Big weight loss week one (but still nowhere near the BSD one!) and then 1 – 2 lbs was the acceptable weight loss per week. So I think this has shook me a little bit so far into the plan, as as you say, much overthinking going on. Just didn’t seem right, but then – right against what? Right against previous experience of… WW! Precisely!

You and Igor have both been a lot of help, thank you so much, between you you’ve covered more than I was anticipating in response to my ramblings 🙂 Onwards with eating the right things and not worrying too much about the scales. Can I have a quick hands up of how many of you are shaking your heads at me worrying about losing 8lbs in four days and thinking ‘ungrateful fool’?

Lesson learned, in future I will try clothes on in the changing room! But to be honest, I was so big that I would actually cry when I got home after seeing myself in the mirrors of changing rooms? So I avoided them like the plague. No longer! Clothes never looked good on me, no matter how pretty or supposedly flattering. I’d just come back out and put things back on the rails and wear cast offs or charity shop clothes because I didn’t think I was worth spending decent money on at that size. Sad, isn’t it?

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Thank you so much Ruth, I will definitely Google Amanda once I have peeled and put on my veggies for my Sunday roast! We are complicated beings, no doubt about that. I felt a bit of an idiot posting this question, because of course, nobody could tell me what was going on in my body any more than what I could tell anyone what was going on in theirs. Lynne hit the nail on the head, it’s all new to us, we’re in unchartered territory. This WOE isn’t going to work how WW or SW worked. I think it just panicked me a bit. Never thought I’d see the day that I’d worry about a big weight loss! Just need to chill out now and try and be as good as possible.

I’m going to try my new toy out in the kitchen too! Always have our Sunday dinner around 5/6 so I can fit in an egg, I reckon! Enjoy Vera 🙂 and thank you once again.

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

Enjoy your new toy Lucky. I have used mine for nearly 2 years every morning, apart from the last 6 weeks.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just in answer to your comments about not being ‘worth spending decent money’ on clothes, Lucky, I really empathise.

I’ve said elsewhere that I work in Fashion, and one of the things I did was to explore special ‘Plus-size’ brands for the department store chain I worked for. It was quite evident that most women would not spend a lot of money on clothes if they fit the definition of ‘Plus-size’ and this seemed to be because they always felt they would not be that weight for long – would be dieting it off – and you have just suggested to me that it is also because they felt they didn’t ‘deserve’ it. This makes me very angry, actually. So although we often got requests for more ‘Plus-sizes’ the sales never justified it.

Now I believe more brands are covering more sizes and it makes sense to me that most women want their favourite brand, the one their friends buy, in a larger range of sizes. Not something specially categorised as Plus, or whatever the terminology would be. IF, that is, they think they’re worth it 🙁

I hope you enjoy your new jeans and the other clothes you’ll soon be buying as you fit into them! 🙂

• posted by Frog
    on

Morning Lucky
    Amused by the jeans of the future – remember the jeans I found in the wardrobe, that I realised I was getting close to fitting in to, then did eventually? (now too big 🙂 )
    When I started BSD, I was M&S size 20 (so that’s 22 in real life, you know when you’re getting to the top of a size range, and only the M&S ones fit comfortably????)
    Once I could wear the JotF, very happy – after a few days, I found the label to check the size – allegedly a 22!
    I was 18 in pretty much everything else at that stage, but the favourite JofF were iconic – so discovering the size tag was irritating, to say the least!

I have a giant suitcase of ‘small’ clothes and a couple of boxes in the car that I retrieved from the storage unit yesterday, and I really ought to go through the wardrobes here properly too – I just did the trousers yesterday.
    I did try on a couple of jackets at the unit yesterday, one old favourite, and a really nice navy slightly fitted blazer style jacket that I have no recollection of whatsoever.
    One casual jacket, the ‘pull’ thing on the zip has broken off – the zip mechanism itself is fine – I need to see if I can fix that somehow. It’s a purple zip and kind of a feature of the jacket, so would be difficult to replace. Bit loose, but I was pleased to see it again!

• posted by Frog
    on

just completed a questionnaire on a click and collect order I got last week – asked for dress size in addition to age group, etc.

Size 16 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

As one of those people who always said the only thing that fitted me in most shops was the belts and bags, it’s fascinating to be able to go in ‘normal’ clothes shops on the hunt for something to wear. And guess what. Now I seem to be a ‘common’ size – the one everybody else buys. And they got there first😱 Story of my life LOL Whatever size I am is the one that’s out of stock!

Add in a history of buying for others and feeling I’m not worth spending on – I don’t deserve it – and it makes for interesting challenges now.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, support and guidance, especially at the moment about clothes.

Been a debate on here about undies, especially lacy ones. Can I add in (sorry for picture in head) that I just bought size 12 😳😃 and instead of sensible ones, one pair had ….. wait for it ….. any guesses? Not only Minnie Mouse, but frills and sparkles too!!!!! Well, I can’t be serious all the time. Can I? 😃

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks for bringing up that prob LUCKY..could be invaluable info to us following in yr footsteps!

I heard of Amanda Sainsbury- Salis when i was fasting and hit a famine reaction after about thriee months of 5:2 and v good results weightwise….suddenly found i cdnt do fasting any more ,was just too hungry all the time. Body was telling me it was time to eat a little more..someone told me about famine reaction like RUTH just said, so i ate more normally, ie higher cals wihtput going mad(didn’t have a clue about carbs then) for a week or so then was able to return to fasting/ losing.
    I think her book is called Dont GO Hungry or Dont Go Hungry Again

So happy for you you’re still on a downward path..you’ ll be hitting that next mini goal before you know it! X

Welcome LOUISE call in tomorrow for inspiration and encouragement on yr first day! I think you’re going to be delighted…day one i was apprehensive, but that changed quickly to feeling vy cheered when i realised this was easier than i expected!x

AVILA i love that proverb! X

• posted by Imogen
    on

Lucky…really…lol! 🙋🙋🙌🙋🙋(that’s me hands up!) sitting here thinking I should be so lucky😉then realised that I tend to be a bit of a worrier too, sooo would probably have been asking the same questions. Congratulations on the fantastic weight loss – Enjoy 🌻

Shame about the egg😞x

• posted by Avila
    on

Lucky – oh I get the overthinking, I can get so tied up in knots overthinking – I used to be worse, especially over what I said, they said, guessing at meanings etc etc.

I also have an existential wondering – why does over eating not show that day but some random days later? Equally weight loss – though I allow for metabolism time on that side.

If mass is neither created nor destroyed why can I eat a lot of terrible stuff and the scales not change, then 2 days later when I am being extra good and contrite the scales jump. Where is that mass/weight for 2 days?? (And I ask this as someone with a science degree!!! )

This morning, pre food, post loo, I saw 92 (kg) on the scales, ok followed by point 8, and back up with drinking and dressing, but a promising glimpse. And 4 weeks ago unthinkable – then 99 point something instead of 100 was hopeful.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Inspired by everyone’s posts ‘re JOTF, and feeling a little disillusioned at my most recent weight plateau…decided to have a clear out of my 18+ size clothes…YAY, can finally get into the size 16 jeans lurking in the wardrobe…so have put all the baggy, too loose, too comfortable clothes in a big black bag – will drop off to the charity shop after the bank holiday. Sooo needed that lift😊
    Now will need to get some more smaller size clothes cos I am not going back!!!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Wow, so many posts but I’m halfway through this one and my Mum showed up to visit, so I’ll post this and then crack on with the rest!

Igor – this is a discussion I have had many a time with larger friends, and it’s one that always seems to get quite heated, plus sized clothing. For me, there’s no stigma in the term itself, but for others I know it’s a big deal. But yes, of course, it does help if you can go to the same rail as the size 12’s hang and pick what you want without being confined to a separate ‘special’ part of the store. I have friends who are very confident in their larger sizes and who manage to look great and can pull off almost anything. I don’t, however. I am also very small, I am petite as well as plus sized. I looked like a little barrel lol. My friends argue that they should have the right to wear what they want, if it’s being made in a size 8, they want it in a size 22/24/26. I know however, no matter how lovely an item of clothing is, just because it is being made in a size 24, it is not going to look on me like it does on the mannequin in the store window. Some women don’t care, but I do, and I don’t believe every single item of clothing made in a size 8/10/12 translates to a larger size. I think some of it made in plus sizes are absolutely horrendous. But if it’s not offered… It is each to their own, of course, everyone will have their own opinion on it, and I do think self confidence has an awful lot to do with it. I think I look at the mannequin and then I look at me in the changing room mirror and I don’t see what I want to see, or expect to see. I just saw a fat woman in another dress/top/suit that would look great if she was several stone lighter and I’d just think ‘Why bother? I won’t feel good in it. It’ll sit in the wardrobe.’ Go home, and instead of doing something about it, I’d console myself with cake.

Also the ‘I intend to lose weight’ thing is an issue, yes. It’s one I’m still battling now at the moment, and I think quite a few of us are too, when we aren’t yet at the end of our journey. I could have spent a fortune the other day on beautiful sale clothes, which weren’t even my usual level of ‘cheap’ at half price! But the difference is now, I’m battling it in a good way, in that I am very successfully mid (ish!) way through losing weight and I don’t want lovely clothes that will only fit me temporarily. This is opposed to my old way of thinking about not feeling worthy. So, an improvement all in all – but I still probably won’t have new clothes for a good few more months yet!

• posted by Frog
    on

Lucky
    Your “petite but plus sized” reminded me of my Mum, who always used to state that she was ‘long bodied’ and ‘long legged’ – she was about 5’1″ (maybe, probably not when her hair was in a flat style!) so my sister & I never quite worked out where the short bits were.
    I do appreciate what you mean though. I restate my claim that given my shoe size, I ought to be 5’10”.

I agree strongly that styles that are designed for sizes 8/10/12 won’t necessarily translate into size 20 or larger (or look particularly good, however confident the person wearing them). I often prefer(red! past tense!!!) to purchase well made clothes from ranges that are designed for larger sizes (not talking just cut large with lots of elastic here!) on the basis that they will fit better, rather the largest size of a ‘normal’ range.

I guess though, from the number of tags on newly found clothes at the back of the wardrobe that I’ve bought in sales at huge discounts (because I was going to fit into them one day) that Igor is right – women do tend to avoid spending a lot on clothes in a size that they’re unhappy being, hence the discounts – even though really well made and tailored clothes can hide an awful lot and be incredibly flattering.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Oh God, I bet that was galling seeing that label Frog, but also great that they are now consigned to the ‘too big’ bag – get them gone! Great news on the abundance of clothing ready for you. Have you read the book by Marie Kondo, or has anyone else? The Life-changing magic of tidying up? Specifically the clothes part? I think I’m going to be doing that soon. Size 16? I’m coming for you, Frog. I’m coming for you 😉 Well done 🙂 But of course, you will be a 14 by then so…

That’s really funny Lynne, I’m just assuming that once I’m an acceptable size that I will automatically start shopping like I deserve it. Whether that’s because I used to when I was 8/10/12/14 and even 16 to an extent or not, I don’t know. I hope the feelings of unworthiness disappear with the pounds. I didn’t think of that at all. Love the Minnie Mouse knickers, why not indeed! Why not! I personally can’t wait for the day that I can buy an off the peg bra without having to have them especially made. Ok, well I am overexaggerating slightly but still, sheesh? £30 for a bra? For ONE bra? ONE? Surely there’s not THAT much more fabric in a 44FF than there is an off the peg 40? Surely? No specialist machinery needed for that extra couple of inches of fabric, right?

Yowzer it sounds very much like I hit something like you did on the 5:2 then. I’ve been fine since, absolutely fine. Next mini goal one kilo or two pounds away! Can’t wait 😀
    Just seen your email – will pass it on now 🙂

Thank you Imogen lol, and glad you understand what I meant ;-). I never thought I’d see the day I’d be perturbed by too much weight loss but when it doesn’t happen to you usually it’s a bit like ‘WHAT just happened there?’ I am beyond cross about the egg, you have no idea the full story of the bloody egg. I am just telling Janey now on Twitter and I think I may be slightly PMT. Slightly. Yes, she agrees. Well done on the jeans! And yes, get the big ones gone, none of us are going back there again. Ever. Even if there’s a carby meal out or a piece of birthday cake or even a holiday blow out, it can be undone in a week, two tops.

I constantly overthink things Avila, not as much now as I have done in certain periods of my life, but still it’s random stuff like today that bugs me. And if you don’t have the answers with a science degree, I don’t think my GSCE Science D-D grade is going to help lol. I am useless at science! Only count the naked weight, we weren’t born with full stomachs or clothes 😉 Thinking about a WW stint when Mr Lucky and I first got together, we would actually go commando to our WW meeting. We’d weigh our outfits to see what the lowest combo was we could find. And realised that our underwear weighed… Ye Gods, Gok Wan or Trinny and Susannah would have had a field day with some of the get ups I had one some evenings… 🙂 It’s a good job I didn’t have an accident, or my Nan’s warning of always wearing clean underwear ‘in case’ really wouldn’t have helped much…

It’s not easy being me…

• posted by Avila
    on

I always took it that the clean undies rule ‘in case run over by a bus’ was about not being shamed by nasty grey ones, in which case no undies not so much of a problem – though having something under the hospital gown would feel more secure!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

This is true about the nasty undies… it is also true about having something under a hospital gown, I’m surprised actually that I wasn’t made to learn my lesson the hard way, that is usually how my life goes! Not something I would advocate doing now that I’m 40. However, I was 24…

I’ve just realised. I am the exact weight now as I was starting that WW stint I spoke of. 14 stone 11. That time I got down to 12 stone 10…

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Lucky

In reply to your query about good weight loss this week. Firstly if you think back to SLW or WW days we would consume about 1500 -1800 cals and expect to loose 2-3 lbs a week. Scientifically a 1lb loss is achieved by reducing the energy imput by 3,500 cals. Add the additional factor your expressed reduction in stress you will achieve a greater weight loss. Stress is a obstacle to successful weight loss due to the chemicals released within our bodies.
    So if you have lost 8 lbs then you possibly have not reduced your energy input by 8 X 3,500 so just be aware the next few days will most likely plateau.
    I have found over the years one way will work well for a while, then you have to subtly change it. We are not on a starvation diet as this plan involves plenty of protein. So it’s not rebound weight loss. But I would suggest you read doc m section on strengthening exercises, so you are burning fat not muscle. If your heel is still playing up.
    Enjoy your good fortune, and change it when it slackens of. You have a wealth of knowledge now, use it all to achieve your goal.

But delighted for you lucky. Keep smiling.😎😎😎

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Thanks Jan! That makes a lot of sense, it just seemed ‘too’ big a loss for such a short a time, and probably is, so yes, a plateau is probably coming soon.

That is worded better than I made it sound this morning, when I was waffling about first week weight losses again. When you reach that certain point in a diet and nothing you do seems to work. Switch it up a bit, do something a little differently and then it goes great guns again. I’ve had a lot of food for thought today (no pun intended) and it could be some or even a little bit of all of the suggestions made. I’ll keep a watchful eye on how things progress now. It is interesting though!

Thank you very much 🙂 Hope you’re enjoying your holiday so far 🙂

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

And I will look up the exercises too 😀

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yep lucky having a lovely hol , but cor have I conked out for about 2 days okay again now, jigging around all over the place , was beginning to think the SLE was rearing its head again, but no alls good. 😎😎😎 hope your week goes well 😊

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Jan,

Glad to hear you’re having a great holiday!
    Was following your posts to Lucky, and something struck a chord…had ‘forgotten’ to factor in the role that stress can play on cortisol levels (and the way that can interfere with the weight loss process), so that; combined with the famine reaction may be contributing to the frequent stalls / plateaus in my weight loss.

So together with changing up my regular foods, may need to be more mindful of my emotional state…recently I have simply been gritting my teeth and ‘just getting on with it’ …maybe not so healthy! 😵😕😅

Thank you🌻

• posted by Frog
    on

Not sure about that book Lucky, but last time I had a big clear out, I think there were about 8 books on tidying/decluttering/hoarding – they’re probably all in the storage unit somewhere!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

😮

😂😂😂😂

They worked then…?

• posted by Frog
    on

Silicone egg poachers are great (not to diss your new toy Lucky!)
    I used to find the eggs stuck a bit, then I stopped coating the cups with olive oil, and they’ve been fine – sometimes I have to peer at the empty cup to see if its the dirty one or not.
    The only time the eggs get too hard is when I forget what time I put them on!
    Added bonus is that towards the end of cooking I add tomatoes to the water to warm them through, and replace the pan lid with a plate so that I have a warm plate.

• posted by Frog
    on

well, they’re tidily stashed away in the storage unit, so the tidy ones did, hoarding not so good!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Understood 😉

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

What a great idea! Using the plate as a lid to warm it, never thought of that! Stolen!

• posted by Frog
    on

that won’t work as well if you’re cooking for six Lucky!

• posted by Frog
    on

I went for a really nice walk this afternoon – my usual along the tow path; The destination I usually have in mind is Victoria Park, but I often start flagging and checking maps and my pedometer after about two miles or so to see how much further. I got to the park without even thinking about it, so I must be getting fitter -then continued on and came back along the Thames path.
    A lot less busy that it normally is on a Sunday – I guess lots of people have gone away for the bank holiday – either that or the sky was a bit dark as if it was going to rain.
    About ten and a half miles altogether.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Or they could be still the Notting Hill Carnival!

Wow – that’s a great walk. 😃

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

This is true. But at least MY plate could be warm… 🙂

Ten and a half miles? That’s the sort of walk I dream of undertaking but never manage it. Sounds wonderful. Well done 🙂 I need to find a walking buddy. Or join a group or something. There must be one locally.

I actually dug my coastal path pack of maps out yesterday, found them in the drawer with the tape measure. Dropped them on hubby’s lap, which is as much of a hint as I needed to give him. 125 or so miles of coastal path. I want to do it. It’s on the list. Hopefully we can make a start on it when the children are back at school.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne – they might have been! As long as I don’t have to contend with too many bikes/pushchairs/scooters, I think it’s brilliant!

Have an excellent holiday – I haven’t been to York in ages, but really enjoyed it last time I was there.
    (there is a Prezzo, and a Cafe Rouge!)

• posted by Frog
    on

the other thing I do to warm dishes (bowls mainly, as they make less suitable pan lids) is drain vegetables over the bowl, the water warms the bowl before you throw it away.
    OR – the second recycling is to pour the vegetable water in a used cat food tin after the bowl to partially clean the tin, and also to let the label peel of easily so the dishwasher doesn’t get bunged up. Then throw it away.

You could try the ramblers – although Orchid was saying that they can be a bit variable, some are very nice, others less so (or weird).
    the one that we went with a few weeks ago wasn’t part of the ramblers, so worth googling
    As you aren’t walking regularly, there is a national scheme called Walk4life that may have something in your area

I used to run a walking group a few years ago – on one of the walks our group ‘kidnapped’ a rambler. She’d joined up with our group at the station by mistake, intending to meet up with a group for the ramblers. It was quite a while before she realised the error, and by that time she had a discounted ticket on someone’s network card – so she never got to join the ramblers that day!

There was also that “We are Team GB” thing yesterday that may be a way of tracking down local groups – or buy an OS map and go with your family. I found out the other day that if you buy an OS map these days, you get a code that lets you download it to your phone.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frg

I remember jumping out of the way of cyclists on Regents Canal towpath😱 Funny how they never seemed to have bells!

I’ll report in from York when I can 😃

One place not on the agenda is Betty’s. Last time Imwas in there – years ago – I had a Fat Rascal and it was really dry!😱 Not what you expect in there!

I’m not making any plans,. Need to chill so will go where I fancy, when I fancy 😃 Weather permitting – a lot of walking. Don’t think it’ll be as long as yours, but who knows!

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

Morning everyone, looks like you are all napping still 🙂

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Morning Gavin, not me… although I did have a lie in (by my standards, anyway) until about 6.45 am. Capitalising on the lack of children milling around the place to give my living room a good clean, pulling furniture out, de-cobwebbing, hoovering, ugh. Cloudy but nice here, promising anyway. See if I can get my step count up a bit higher today 🙂

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Blimey, Lucky, you don’t want to pop round to my place too, do you?

And r e l a a a a x 😉

• posted by Antigone
    on

Good morning!
    A new week (starting week 5 today) and I’m looking forward to being more active now that my tail bone is less painful (fall in week 3). If you’ve ever bashed that particular part of your anatomy you’ll know it impacts on all sorts of movements 🙁
    Just looked at Gavins blog – what an amazing resource – well done that man! I just linked Map My Run (which I’ve used for some time) with My Fitness Pal so that will be useful – I don’t run (yet!) but I walk and ride fair old distances.
    Reading yesterdays post (oh dear post rhymes with toast) about self esteem – how many of us have ‘put things off’ until we are slimmer? This is a big deal as life changing for some as getting a degree or something else very major!
    Happy Monday losers!

• posted by Orinoco
    on

Good morning losers! Just thought I’d pop by and tell you my results. We’ve been on holiday so I’ve missed all your posts but had a quick look and am encouraged by your losses. I’m half way through week 3. Total loss 10 lbs and sugar was down from 5.1 last week to 4.9 today. Feel so well and it was wonderful to be able to go out for the day without feeling anxious that my sugar would drop and I’d get the shakes! It’s wonderful!
    Have a great day folks xx

• posted by gavinfabl
    on

Hi Antigone – thanks for the great feedback 🙂

Well done Orinoco !

Please log in or register to post a reply.