Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I’m a North Walian mum of four children, and I love food. I bought the BSD diet book for my Kindle on Friday after meeting with a friend who had lost a staggering amount of weight in the last two to three months. She let me in on her secret, and hubby and I started on Saturday. It shouldn’t have surprised me that by this morning, three days later, I had already lost 9lb. Hubby has lost 5lb. The last time I lost 9lb in such a short space of time, I had to go through a 16 hour labour…

Cards on the table, I am 5 foot 1 and a half (although the half is disputable) and my start weight is (was!) 17 stone 9lb (now 17 stone!). I know what I should be for my height, but I am not setting any goals that are too far in the distance, I am aiming for manageable goals, and will break through one at a time.

I’ve thrown myself into the plan, I’m embracing the unknown. I’ve roasted salt and vinegar chickpeas. Today I made Chickpea Wraps – which are the future, according to my husband, they were so simple, tasty and as we were big tortilla and pitta/naan type bread eaters predominantly, they will fill that missing gap. Really versatile. I even bought full fat Fage. I’m using calories on Olive Oil even though it goes against everything I’ve been conditioned to do after nearly 24 years in slimming clubs. I haven’t had any adverse effects in the way of withdrawals, headaches, bad moods or… erm… needing prunes, which is a bonus. I’m feeling really positive about this. I’ve loved reading the forum, it hasn’t half made me chuckle in parts, and it’s lovely to see people who are so friendly and supportive. Figured I’d stop lurking and say ‘Hello’ to you all.

I’ve just turned 40 and I so wanted to be fab at 40 and not fat. Maybe I still will be fab, before I turn 41 anyway! My hope is that I can break free of this vicious dieting cycle once and for all. It doesn’t work. I want my confidence back, proper confidence, not what I have learned to fake for years now.

Much love πŸ™‚

• posted by josie53
    on

Hello i am also new and have tried most diets. Recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes am 63 and weigh 16st 6lbs and am 5ft 5 . Also enjoying reading the forum hoping that this way of eating works for me . Jacket potato and pasta have always been fall back foods clearly this has not been any good for me. although i do not feel particularly hungry i don’t feel like i am completely in the swing of the diet but hopefully as i move further things will become easier.

Am not sure of the calories but i did use a split wholemeal pitta bread covered it in some tomato puree put some avocado covered it in mushrooms and put some feta and anchovy on the top am not sure of the calorie value but it was lush.

Good luck on your change of diet

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Hi Josie, nice to meet you. I am still learning something new everyday, I must admit, Google and this site have become my new best friends for finding out if it’s something I can eat. I also knew that I would need a ‘bread’ alternative, so the chickpea wraps were ideal for me, I feel a lot better knowing I can have those. It’s like everything else, you learn as you go along, don’t you? There seem to be plenty of knowledgeable people on the site who know their stuff. I just love food, not always unhealthy food either, just… food. I was a grazer. Pastry is going to be my downfall, I know that ahead of time. I passed Greggs today and nearly cried.
    That’s one thing I don’t like – cheese! Thankfully, because if I did, I’d probably checking in double the size I am now as I’ve no restraint, or should I say I had no restraint. Small mercies. Avocado is another matter, and this is the first ‘diet’ I’ve been on that I can eat them without having to starve for the rest of the week πŸ˜‰ Good luck to you too πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hello, from a fellow food lover, serial dieter and lurker ☺
    Did you boil the chickpeas before roasting them or just soak them or use canned?
    I keep meaning to try the chickpea wraps, and have just bought some gram flour to have a go. I still eat bought gluten free wraps in strict moderation at the moment but low carb must be easier to fit in the limits.
    I am looking forward to following the rest of your journey to a healthier you.
    Hello to everyone else as well, I echo Lucky Maneki’s appreciation of the forum residents, I have also been moved to laughter or tears by some of the stories in here.
    I am also new to the forum, and the principles of the BSD, which was recently introduced to me by a colleague who is type 2.
    I reached my heaviest ever weight January last year after successfully losing around 3 1/2 stone a couple of years earlier. It just went on so gradually I didn’t notice at the time and I ended up almost a stone heavier than I was before that previous diet.
    Later this week I hope to be able to say the last two pounds of my first 4 1/2 stone loss have gone thanks to the BSD. I am down from an in denial (I only buy big sizes because I like looser clothes only works while they are still loose) size 22 to fitting in size 18 trousers and jeans and needing a belt for anything bigger. I even bought a couple of pairs of size 16 jeans last week for added motivation.
    I have realised with hindsight that the other diets that were successful for me were very similar in their initial phases to the BSD, and the wheels always came off when the ‘white carbs’ were allowed back in. Moderation is clearly not my strong point when I am not paying attention to my diet.
    Since I found the forum I have been reading everyone’s stories with interest and quietly modifying my current diet to be more BSD like. I’d forgotten how wonderful full fat dairy tasted I’d been on the tasteless stuff so long. I never joined any diet clubs or did anything really organised, just made my own mistakes over the years.
    I am currently doing a slightly modified version of the 5:2 with three fast days instead of two. I also try to use Sirt foods like buckwheat, strawberries and carrots when I eat carbs and am not controlling the quantity of net carbs as strictly as many here, and I have ‘weekends off’ when I still try to generally eat healthily and control portions but allow alcohol and some treats. I am averaging 1350 carbs a day and 75g carbs at the moment and the weight loss, which had slowed quite dramatically before BSD, is now back up to 2-3 lbs a week.
    Exercise is mainly badminton 2-3 times a week now (I took it up very soon after deciding to lose weight Feb 2015) but I have also just bought a new bike and started cycling to work and back sometimes. I also like walking and went for a six mile hike in the lakes last weekend. I have ordered a Withings Go as a birthday present for myself to track my activity more accurately.
    I am toying with the idea of accelerating the weight loss with a Fast 800 8 weeks in October / November if my current rate of loss slows by then as I still have around 4 stone to lose, and for the first time I am starting to believe I can not only get there but stay there as well and I am keen to get to a ‘healthy weight’ as soon as possible.
    I am 50 at the end of this month, and will be wearing the fitted size 18 dress I bought as a target in the January sales this year when I go out for a celebratory meal πŸ˜€ I tried it on this weekend and it fits!
    Best of luck with the new lifestyle, how I wish I could persuade my OH to have a go at the diet too. It would make it much easier to plan meals.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Good Morning Mixnmatch, nice to meet you too πŸ™‚ I’m in a super good mood this morning, woke up before six (which gives me an hour or so of peace before school chaos begins) and I’m down another pound to 16 stone 13 lb this morning. Four days, ten pounds. Even if it slows down from here on in, that’s one heck of a good start.

For the roasted chickpeas I used canned, rinsed them well. The only downside is that it will make your kitchen (house) stink of vinegar. I had windows opened and my extractor on. They were yummy though. I didn’t want to overdo it by making too many only not to like them. The next time I will probably use dried (cheaper) and make three ‘cans worth’ at one time.

The chickpea wraps – I had some Besan left from when I’d made bhajis for a curry night last year, only a small pack, 500g I think. It would probably have gone out of date before I ever made bhajis again. While in Morrisons I saw they had massive packs of flour yesterday, either 1.5kg or 2kg even for Β£1.49 reduced. So I chanced it and picked one up in case these were good. Glad I did now and if they still have some next time I’m in, I’ll pick up more. So simple to make. I will make more today to freeze because the batch I made yesterday has been earmarked for the rest of the week with certain recipes πŸ™‚ I seasoned mine with a little sea salt and a hefty shake of cayenne. I’m adhering to the principle rigidly in that – no bread, not even wholegrain, wholemeal. The carb side of it, specifically the counting part, I don’t get at the moment. I know certain things we ‘can’ eat are higher but I can’t get my head around MFP as a counter, although it’s great for looking up counts of things. I’m trying not to over complicate things atm because it’s working. If it stops working then I will have to look deeper into what I’m doing. Hubby and I ate a lot of wraps; salad, chicken, we’d even have them with chilli or spag bol, or curry, so I knew that was the ‘bread’ I’d have to crack or replace as it’s so versatile.

I was on something similar (but also not similar too) earlier this year. Fasting every other day at 500 and on alternate days you could eat and drink what you want. Did it work? Yes. However I spent 50% of my life on the edge and starving and 50% of my life sat down pigging out (and I mean pigging out!). I went down to 16 stone 9, and since I stopped at the end of April (in time for my 40th, meals, weekend away, cake etc), I put a stone back on. That’s what, six or seven weeks? And with the BSD, I’ve lost ten of those fourteen pounds again in four days, I’m eating well, I’m not eating rubbish, I’m not hungry or hangry. It’s remarkable.

Congratulations on your upcoming big birthday, I hope you have as wonderful a time as I had on my 40th. I can’t remember the last time I wore something fitted, probably at my first wedding evening reception *coughnineteencough* years ago. That went well…

Hubby is overweight, probably not ‘as’ overweight as I am as he’s taller. He wants to lose weight too, and in all fairness to him, he’ll give anything a crack. He tried January’s shambles of 30 days of vegetarianism (I put on 10 lbs…) then he did the every other day one and lost over a stone with me. He’s been to Weight Watchers several times, where once we both lost 50lbs (but put it all back on and some!). He has a choice. He doesn’t have to do it with me. At the end of the day, short of chewing and swallowing the food for him, I’m doing everything else. Deciding what to cook. Calorie counting it all. Cooking it. And 75% of the time washing up. I couldn’t make it any simpler. For him! If he didn’t want to do it, he would either get a modified version of what I was eating (with carbs) or he could have a frozen pizza haha.

Good luck to you too, we’ll all get there if we support each other. That’s the only thing I miss about slimming clubs, it’s the camaraderie of people in the same boat as you, doing the same plan as you. Hope you have a fab day πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

And yes on the full fat dairy! The Fage, oh my, it’s lovely. Reminded me of the yogurt in those Muller corners I ate as a teen (I know, I know…). I can’t deviate from my skimmed milk because I genuinely don’t like the fat in milk in my coffee, if it’s full fat or semi skimmed on offer in anyone’s house, I ask for water, I dislike it that much. I’ve bought cream, Fage and full fat Creme Fraiche. A little of the good stuff goes much further than a lot of the fake stuff. Amen to that.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Morning Lucky, was browsing the latest posts and came upon your hilarious thread! Chickpea wraps are the business! I was also a major bread eater (naans, wraps, just plain bread!) so these are a life saver. I cook a batch so when the family is tucking into fajitas I can still join in. And of course with curry, which is my fave..
    It’s so nice to eat lots of dairy without guilt too.. Greek yoghurt has gone from being a breakfast ordeal to something I genuinely look forward to in the morning! Although I do look at the toaster wistfully at times…
    I’m in week 6 now and think this is a longterm way of life for me. I don’t weigh myself but I have gone down one trouser size and several belt notches since I started in May, and feel much better physically. So onwards.. and downwards!
    Oh and MixnMatch… well done on the dress that’s been waiting for you since January.. I’m sure you will look and feel fantastic in it!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Morning Janey, lovely to meet you! Aren’t they just? Hubby makes me laugh because he’s from Lancashire and when he says they’re the future, he reminds me of Peter Kay and the garlic bread. Fajitas! I love fajitas, I forgot about those, I think I’m going to stick those on the list for next week. Up to 8 am this morning, I’ve meal planned about three months ahead, just to be on the safe side. Curry is my favourite too, I’m the curry queen amongst my friends, I’ve been working for years to perfect Indian restaurant/takeaway style curries, without the copious amounts of oil though. Now at the next one I can have chickpea wraps instead of naan. Maybe everyone will have chickpea wraps because I can make about 5000 out of a Β£1.49 bag of flour – always thinking…

Well done on reaching week six and your journey downwards in belt notches and dress sizes πŸ™‚ I’m a bit obsessive about my scales, so when I read on the last two plans I’ve followed now that daily weighing was encouraged, the skies parted, sun rays beamed down on me and a choir of heavenly angels sang ‘Hallelujah’. As if I needed any more encouragement.

In other news, I have just come back from a long walk. 2.4 miles if my fit app thing is to be believed. 8659 steps, so it looks like I’ll get my 10,000 steps today for the first time since April #shameface. We had a lovely walk around all the local beauty spots and woods, pier, promenade and churchyard, took some photos then ambled through the woods until we reached Waitrose where I picked up another tub of Fage (this stuff is going to become my crystal meth, mark my words) and some Heck 97% sausages which I’ve heard people mention. On offer for Β£2. Bargain. My knee is hurting, my hip is hurting, my back is hurting, darn you sciatica, but the exercise and the weightloss will all help that part in the end. Off to sizzle my prawns. Not a euphemism. Onwards! πŸ™‚

• posted by Sarahs999
    on

Hello Lucky,
    I’m just joining today and your post struck a chord – I’m a similar height to you and want to lose 6 stone ideally. But one step at a time! Only on day 3 but finding it ok. Can you point me to the recipe for chickpea wraps? Sounds like I need them in my life!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Hi Sarah πŸ™‚
    The wraps were here on page 16 of the recipes https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/chickpea-flour-pancakes/
    They are a fab alternative, we had them with our tea last night, and we’re having them with Chicken Shawarma tonight, and to dip in a curry on Friday. Don’t put anything too sloppy in them though (or wear a bib) (or a tea towel, like I have to do most meals). If I lost 6 stone, I’d be the weight I was when I met hubby in 1999. Still overweight according to the NHS and BMI and all that, but I’d kill to be back there. The confidence I had. I’m going to do it this time. Good luck to you, let me know if you like the wraps. My local Morrisons had a massive bag of Besan on offer for Β£1.49 in the ethnic aisle yesterday.

In other news, my tongue has swollen to twice its normal size and I can’t feel my lips because I didn’t deseed the chillies I picked from the garden to sizzle my prawns in. They were only tiny! Deceptive little swines. Grrrr.

• posted by Sarahs999
    on

Oh thank you! Still finding my way around the recipes. I’ve had the bircher for 2 mornings in a row, which I like, and made the prawn courgetti thing too. Which was delicious although i forgot to put the beans in. But then that evens out as I was eating a whole avocado with my egg instead of half!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

You’re welcome πŸ™‚ I’ve not tried that yet, it sounds good though. I’m a big eater in the evenings though, so that’s what’s putting me off at the moment, I try and save as many calories as I can for a decent tea, as evenings were my danger time. I love courgetti but hubby isn’t too convinced. Well, that sounds like a result anyway, beans v avocado? No brainer πŸ™‚ I’m having BLAT salad (Bacon lettuce avocado and tomato) for lunch tomorrow, with some full fat mayo, looking forward to it too. Morrisons had massive bags of avocadoes for under Β£2, I nearly cried when I saw them. I only usually have that kind of reaction to shortcrust pastry and Reeses Peanut butter cups. Things are changing around here πŸ˜‰

on

Haha Lucky, I had to stifle an hysterical giggle at my desk earlier when I was illegally reading your message about sizzling prawns at work!! What is this mythical Fage I suddenly keep hearing about?? Another dairy product I can add to my clutch?? My friend’s parents have literally today opened an ice cream parlour…..face palm! I sampled one of the flavours but TBH I’ve lost the taste for the stuff (thank heavens!) so don’t think I will be lured back to the sweet side….
    Glad to hear you’re a fellow chilli head. I’ve resurrected an amazing egg curry which can be smugly consumed on this eating plan. And no, it doesn’t make you….
    If you or the OH isn’t keen on courgetti try the butternut squash spaghetti instead. You can buy it ready shredded in Waitrose (let’s face it, life is too short and nails are too precious to try and do battle with a squash at home) and it’s a bit more textured than the courgette version. I’m also a convert to bulgur mixed with quinoa (apart from the odd aroma) which can almost be considered rice in low light!!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Helloooooo Janey πŸ™‚ I don’t know what it is, I have this habit of making even the most innocent things sound awful? I have a feeling hubby and I are going to end up on ‘Overheard in Waitrose’ twice this week… he keeps pronouncing Fage as ‘Fadge’ which – around these parts anyway, can be a slang for a woman’s… er… nethers. ‘Here love, shall I grab some more of your Fadge?’ Fage however, is pronounced ‘Fa-yeh’ or something. And perusing the fish, he pointed to kippers, which he had mistaken for the smoked haddock that I like. He said that was the fish he hated. I said ‘Yes I know, it stinks. Although saying that, my smoked haddock stinks. Not a euphemism’. An old man shot me a filthy look and hubby walked off tittering and left me. It’s like being married to John Inman’s Mr Humphreys being married to me.

Back at the ranch… Fage Total is a greek yogurt. I’ve never eaten greek yogurt in my life, and if I had bought it, I’d have gone for the fat free. Oh no. You go for the full fat one. Oh my days. It is lush. And I had a good 100g this morning (a fifth of a pot) for 90 odd calories. Chopped strawberries on top. These fat-free yogurts have as many calories in them. I got mine in Waitrose, my local Morrisons only had the lower fat one. Not sure about Tesco. An ice cream parlour? That’s just cruel. I know the sorts of flavours these places have, things you can never buy in supermarkets. It’s good that your sugary taste buds have gone though πŸ™‚

Love chillies, I don’t know what these little sods are that are growing in my garden though, but they were hot, and I can do hot. Egg curry??? Pray tell? Please??

Ohhh I will have to have a look for that butternut squash, we like that and yes it is too much like hard work. Swede the same, that goes straight into the microwave, I’m afraid! I think for him it is the texture, in that Courgetti goes to nothing in his mouth. I’ve never tried quinoa, is it worth a crack? Next on my list in cauliflower rice. I love cauliflower anyway, so that’s half the battle.

In other news, I managed over 12,000 steps today, was just under 10,000 so I went on the treadmill for half an hour. Feeling very virtuous. Mum is having us all around for Father’s Day lunch, and I had to tell her no potatoes and no pudding. She asked if we would rather not come… ‘Not… not even boiled?? Not even jelly and tinned fruit?’ So we compromised, I will bring mashed cauliflower in place of the potatoes, and some Fage for the strawberries she will buy. This is the first time I haven’t relented and cheated on any eating plan. If this is for the long haul, I’m going to have to start making these choices. It felt good πŸ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I think the smaller the chilies are, the hotter they’re likely to be!
    Have fun with them

Courgetti can get mushy if you overcook it – I literally have it in the microwave for under a minute (and then stir in full fat cottage cheese).

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Hi Frog πŸ™‚ Ah is that how it goes? Oh dear, no wonder everything was aflame then! I wouldn’t mind but I can really handle spicy food, the spicier the better. I felt like a fraud. Hubby and I eyeing each other up to see who would be the first to relent and get up for a cold drink (him, by the way). Gee whizz. By ‘have fun’ I can only assume you mean ‘deseed the buggers next time, lightweight’.

Thanks for the advice re courgetti, it never crossed my mind to microwave it. I usually just dunk it for a very short time in boiling water. I’ll certainly give that a try next time, not sure if it would be enough to convince hubby though, there’s only so many times he can roll his eyes at me and look sad when presented with it πŸ˜‰

In other news, day 5, no move on the scales, 10lb loss so far. If the scales don’t register a loss tomorrow after I moved more yesterday in a day than I do in an average month, they’ll be the pink things you may see flying through the sky. It’s absolutely chucking it down with rain. Youngest stropping that he is *not* walking to school in *this*. I’ve just had my Fage and strawberries. And I am trying to meal plan a 5 day camping trip. The joys! We’ll have a double stove, a single stove and a decent (huge) cool box that keeps things frozen for ages. We normally rely on a lot of bread, rice, pasta etc and have a couple of takeaways when everything has run out. This has to be planned with military precision. Any one else been camping while on this plan? Or similar low carb camping? I’ve been toying with the idea of sticking to eating the same foods as on the BSD plan, but not being so rigid counting the calories, surely that would be better than cheating and eating carbs and takeaways? Anyone have any thoughts/advice on that? If we maybe aimed for about 1000 – 1200 a day? We would be doing an awful lot of walking on the trip and I am notoriously ravenous when I’m living under the stars. Thanks in advance.

• posted by Collie
    on

Lucky Maneki
    Hi I go camping and competing with my dogs so really active, first trip,was a challenge but tend to eat same things for ease of packing . Breakfast 2 egg omelette and chilli with a couple of cherry toms, lunch soup ( gazpacho ) supper protein and courgetti . Snacks orange and a few (1oz) walnuts . I do not drink alcohol . This just about hits 900 cals but am walking 10 miles etc. Drink loads of water. Heck sausages are great but not all same calorie wise and VERY moorish you have been warned.πŸ™‹πŸ»πŸΎπŸΎπŸ“πŸŒΆπŸŒΆπŸŒΆπŸŒΆπŸŒΆπŸŒΆ

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Lucky Maneki

We’ve had great success doing vegetable stir fry to go with things which would otherwise ‘need’ pasta or rice.

I do an onion (or some spring onions), some courgettes (I cut them into little chunks and fry over high heat in very little fat to give them a golden outer coating), sugar snap or mange tout peas, baby sweetcorn, and anything else to hand – asparagus, broccoli, pepper – and sometimes a chilli pepper. You can measure this out in grams but just for an example for three of us the other night I had 150gm courgette each, 50gm each sugar snap peas, 6 spring onions, chilli pepper, and that did a really satisfying stir fry to go with pulled pork. Not many carbs at all, but good nonetheless.

Surprisingly good with things like chilli, or curry.

And you could try the chickpea pancakes over your primus/campfire – they’d be fun.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Hi Collie πŸ™‚ thanks for the advice. I think I need to keep it as simple as possible, don’t I? Especially the first time. I’ve just bought the Heck 97% sausages to try, seen a lot of people raving about them. Omelette is a good idea, filling. Never cooked one camping before, so may hook the gas canister up and have a trial run πŸ™‚ It’s going to be so different from anything I’ve done before, no crisps to ‘tide me over til tea’ or chocolate or pastry or bread. It’s a simple thing, but it’s quite daunting for my first time, if you know what I mean? Once I’ve done it, I’ll be ok. And I have a few weeks to plot in the meantime! πŸ˜€

Hey Igor πŸ™‚ That sounds like a really substantial stir fry, that’s a good idea, and really simple to do on the stove. Pulled pork though, now you’re talking my lingo. I was going to just make a load of pancakes at home and freeze them and take them – is that cheating? Because you haven’t seen the mess I make when I cook, there’ll be chickpea batter in my hair, on my shoes, on my glasses… you name it :-)) Might give those a trial run on the gas stove too… just in case.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

You’re welcome, Lucky Maneki πŸ™‚

One thing I forgot is that after starting BSD I’ve begun adding chilli peppers to many things, i.e. the stir-fry I described, also to my morning veg frittata/omelette, and if you’ve the taste for this – it’s really really good!

Yum πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I do indeed have a taste for them! Just not the ones from my garden at the moment πŸ˜€ bwahahaha. When I’ve made omelette recently I’ve been putting sliced jalapenos in it, the jar ones you shove on mexican food, that’s been quite nice. I don’t know what it is, but personally if I’ve eaten something with a bit of a kick I feel much fuller and satisfied for longer?

Feels funny watching the football without any munchies, just a glass of water. Let’s see who will be sulking for the remainder of the day, hubby or me πŸ˜€

Probably me…

on

Me again Lucky! It’s a shame you’ve got a downer on cheese because I’ve just had the most magnificent lunch! Haloumi fried in chilli flakes and cumin seeds, on a bed of rocket with poached egg and lemon Greek yoghurt dressing. It’s a joy to consume! TBH I don’t actually think halloumi can be classified as cheese.. It’s too squeaky and crunchy! I’m considering a BSD version of cottage pie for family tea tonight. Cauliflower ‘mash’ and healthy mince (I usually do half meat/half Quorn mince without them noticing). If I let them know what changes I’ve made beforehand there will probably be wailing and gnashing of teeth, but if I just serve it up the boys eat it without batting a low carb eyelid! Harrissa chicken was deemed to be ‘really nice’ last night by my 10 year old so I’m on a roll (not a bread one tho)….

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Janey! Good day to you! That actually sounds gorgeous, that actually makes me wish I liked cheese? I’m not 100% truthful when I say I don’t like cheese, I will eat a little sprinkle of mozzarella on a pizza, or a lasagne, if they’re homemade and I’ve well grilled it. But I wouldn’t entertain it on toast or a jacket potato (good job really, now!) I’ll eat cream cheese when I’ve made a cheesecake. I don’t like cheese as the hard block type cheese, cheddar etc. Can’t say I don’t like any of these fancy schmancy cheeses as I’ve never tried them. That’s what I say to my kids when they say ‘I don’t like it’ so I can’t be a hypocrite, can I? Is it a strong tasting cheese?

Squeaky? You didn’t fry a mouse in with it, did you??

I made cottage pie with cauli mash on Sunday for hubby and I and it was very nice, we’ve used cauli as a mash alternative occasionally for a few years, since the last WW attempt. My children are ASD and very, very rigid in their eating. Very. There would be no sneaking anything past them unfortunately. Some days I make five different teas… *sob*. I’ve only had harissa once and that must be about eight years ago now, I enjoyed it so don’t know why I haven’t bought it again. I made Shawarma, I subscribe to a magazine service that has all manner of magazines on it from all over the world, and I found it in there somewhere. Had it on the chickpea wraps of course, with a lovely salad and it was really good. Had my Fage and berries for breakfast, it’s amazing how it keeps you full. Then for lunch we had BLAT on a plate with a splodge (technical term) of Mayo, hubby had a boiled egg as he didn’t have breakfast. And for tea… Chicken and veggies in a mustardy sauce, bit of Fage stirred through, and a mound (again, technical term) of sweetheart cabbage. Om. Nom. Nom. You will always find me in the kitchen. Not just at parties, either.

Are you here illegally again? Hahaha.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Ooh, and I can really recommend you try halloumi! Cut it up into small chunks and fry with your breakfast eggs, it’s gorgeous. And squeaky. You have to try it to see!

πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I think I’m going to have to now. Can you define ‘squeaky’ for me, are we talking clown’s nose? Dog’s chew toy? New shoes? Am I going to be laughing too much to eat it? πŸ˜‰

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Squeaky a bit like snow is squeaky when you walk on it. Can’t do better than that. You’ve just got to try it now, haven’t you. πŸ˜‰

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I am so intrigued by the cheese that goes ‘squeak’ that yes, yes I have got to try it. I will let you know how that goes, will be next week at some point πŸ™‚

• posted by Marsie
    on

I like to do the squeaky Haloumi on the BBQ or in a well-oiled grill pan. Enjoying this thread…

• posted by Frog
    on

I love haloumi – a good take away standby
    Some Turkish kebab type shops will griddle haloumi & serve it with salad (in a pita bread, but just leave that, or nibble a corner if you must! I occasionally get one for lunch if I want something hot

• posted by JCH187
    on

Great thread πŸ™‚

I know exactly what you mean by squeaky cheese, that was my impression too!

I have a similar amount of weight to lose as you, I’m just coming up to 4 weeks and have lost 1st and 4inches off my waist!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

So I can fry it, barbecue it, get it from a kebab shop, and it squeaks? Sold! πŸ˜€ What more could one ask for from cheese? What have you started Janey, with your squeaky lunch? Can you have something quieter tomorrow, please? And less delicious sounding? STOP MAKING ME EAT CHEESE! πŸ˜‰

Hello Marsie πŸ™‚ hello again Frog πŸ™‚ and Hello JCH πŸ™‚ Wow that is amazing, four inches? Well done! If I lost four inches, I’m sure… *eyes size 20 jeans wistfully* I’m going to go upstairs after and see if I can pull them over my calves and see how far I have to go. I’m down 10lbs since Saturday and hubby 8lbs. I know there’s going to be a slowdown at some point. Bracing myself. Taking measurements once a week on a Saturday and marking them down, but I had to have a sneaky check the other day and at least an inch has come off every body measurement except one. I didn’t bother measuring my head, which remains massive at any size. Unfortunately. It’s the size of a small island. Meh.

PS – Frog, I daren’t go in a kebab shop. Not yet. Too soon. Too soon.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Another vote for halloumi, although as a dyed in the wool cheese fan I can’t speak for a cheese hater. I actually succumbed in M & S to one of those taster counters a few weeks ago and had a small piece of their halloumi ‘burger’ which was essentially a round piece of the cheese on a (naughty) brioche style bun with relish and it was fantastic. Needed more chilli though ☺

on

Squeaky cheese rules!!! The snow analogy was good, I’d liken it a bit to squeegee ing (is that a proper word?) a window pane. Either way, fry it up with spices and slap an egg and some of your mystical Fage on top! I am currently public enemy number 1 at home after grounding my boy for losing both his school blazer AND watch in the last 24 hours. It’ll be the final nail in the coffin when cauliflower hits his plate at dinner time. Ho hum.. Don’t think of chocolate Janey…. πŸ™„

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Ohhhhhhhh Mixnmatch, you do know I’m jotting names down in my little notebook of all those who have recommended this cheese so I can give you all a right rollocking if I don’t like it?? Forewarned… πŸ˜‰ Can I not just have a brioche roll instead??? I like those. So light. So delicate. So shiny on top. Pwetty.

So Janey, what you’re saying ultimately is that I am going to cringe as I eat it then? I am going to be eating a food I don’t like as a rule, and it’s going to make a noise that sounds like nails down a chalkboard? Or a clown’s nose being honked. Duly noted.

Ohhhhhh no. I feel your pain, sister. I have a stroppy 13 year old who is currently grounded for life. Her best friend leaves for Australia at the start of July. Leaving party tomorrow. Friend upset as only 2 people have said they’re going. I’m refusing to back down. If it had been a one off, I’d have let it go, but it’s something she’s done repeatedly literally every few months, with promises she’ll stop, and she just does it all over again. I figure that weeks away from turning 14, she has to learn that there are consequences to her actions. I usually back down and the phone comes back after a fortnight of watching her mope and promises she won’t do it again, internet access is reinstated, she can go out, but she obviously isn’t learning her lesson. So I don’t know whether to relent and let her go to this party or not. She probably won’t see her friend again in real life. Probably won’t forgive me for not letting her go. I feel guilty because I like the friend, she’s very quiet with a small social group and I hate the thought of this venue filled with her upset and two other people. I know my one won’t make much of a difference but still. Don’t know what to do. Whether to lift the grounding for a couple of hours tomorrow night? Does your son make a habit of losing things? A blazer and a watch, that sounds like an expensive do. Extra scoop of cauli for him. Chocolate is over rated. Go get yourself some Fage πŸ˜‰

• posted by barby
    on

I absolutely adore Halloumi, I just have it fried, with a few tomatoes, on a green salad with possibly a little balsamic – wonderful.

Our local pub also serves it in a slightly less BSD way, deep fried in batter with chilli, and chips πŸ™‚

• posted by josie53
    on

If anyone should be interested and are an Aldi shopper they do amazing Full fat greek yoghurt for something like Β£1.29 also Haloumi much cheaper than other supermarkets.

What does anyone think about opening a pitta bread and using it as a base for pizza does anyone know if it is too high in carbohydrates.

Made vegetable lasagne tonight using spinach instead of lasagne and some creme fraiche and greek yoghurt instead of normal sauce

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Barby – deep fried??? *Sobs* I don’t even like it and I want to try it deep fried. And then eat the chips. And that’s why I’m fat.

Josie, thanks for that, I picked up one of those greek yogurts in Aldi when I couldn’t get Fage (before I found it in Waitrose) so it’s good to know that, I’ll check the date on it and if it’s shorter dated than the Fage, I’ll open that next and give it a try. I have no idea about the bread, I’m avoiding it all, bread, pasta, potato, rice, any grain for the next eight weeks minimum, but I’m sure someone else will know.

Lasagne sounds lovely! Was it still filling despite the lack of pasta?

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Can anyone tell me what halloumi tastes like? And the first person who says ‘halloumi’ can get their coat. Is it mild, strong, ‘cheesy’ or creamy etc? And can we have better adjectives than ‘squeaky’ please. Make an effort πŸ˜‰

• posted by Imogen
    on

Mild, bland,….not like cheese???πŸ˜„

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Imogen – fantastic! That sounds like my kind of cheese πŸ˜€ That’s settled it then. I’m going for it. And I’m going to batter it and deep fry it and it will all be Barby’s fault πŸ™‚

• posted by Imogen
    on

Think it would be like deep frying mozzarella…. yuk…can you tell I’m not a big fan?

Enjoy🌻

on

MOVE AWAY FROM THE BATTER! bland is a good definition which is why you need chilli and other spices in the pan with it. If you squint you can kid yourself it’s a bit of (squeaky) toast under your egg πŸ™‚
    So the BSD version of cottage pie went down like a healthy eating lead balloon which I felt was unjustified as I really enjoyed it. Cauliflower mash was delicious as far as I was concerned but the rest of the (male) herd grumbled and piled ketchup on it as they pushed it round the plate. Never mind, 2 portions of leftovers for me for another day..

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I’m getting little hints, yes Imogen lol. Time will tell, I’m stepping out of my comfort zone. I may not like it.

Ok Janey, no batter. Definitely spice. May ‘blacken’ it with my special ‘holy crapballs, that’s hot’ spice blend and griddle it. Cayenne heavy… oh yes.

They didn’t put ketchup on it! That’s a bit mean, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad, I mean, I know it wasn’t that bad. Good view to take, more for you next time. Make them toast while you eat it πŸ™‚ Non-squeaky toast at that.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Just asked hubby “Have you ever had halloumi?”. He paused, considered his response, and replied… “Is that a food or an ailment?”

πŸ˜‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Good grief. I am absolutely stunned. I’ve just got up. Weighed myself. And I have lost a stone. From last Saturday, to today, Friday, I have lost 14 lbs. I mean, I knew it was coming, but I thought maybe Sunday, Monday next week. Never in my life have I lost so much weight in a week. Even when I’ve had a bug. So even if it slows down, what an amazing start. I’ve lost a stone, eaten things I’ve never entertained before, committed to trying new things that squeak. I haven’t cheated nor have I felt the need to. Met some lovely, funny, helpful people here. So if anyone is reading this, lurking, unsure of if they can do it, can you go a full day without carbs and sugar, let alone eight weeks, I say yes. Yes you can. And you will eat well too. We’re all different, so nobody can guarantee what weight you’ll lose, and when, but if you stick to it, it will come. It’s early days for me too, I may not feel so chipper when my scales stop moving, but knowing that there are others here who have come out the other side when they start going down again helps immensely. Thank you everyone who has interacted with me these past few days, for your advice, your suggestions and the giggles 😊

• posted by Frog
    on

WOW – congratulations, that’s brilliant – even more inspiring than the forums I bet!

on

A whole stone?! Go girl! You’ll be fab and 40 in no time!! Now you’ve got through week one it’ll get even easier! Enjoy your weekend.. And seek the squeak!!!!!!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Morning and thanks Frog and Janey πŸ™‚ I’ve been inspired but there’s nothing like seeing it with your own eyes happening to you. I can’t weight to get the tape measure out tomorrow morning. And take a new set of photos. Put it this way, if there’s another iCloud photo hacking scandal, someone is in for a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge surprise πŸ™‚ And not a pleasant one either πŸ™‚ This week has been a joy. I’m looking forward to Week 2 now.

A serious question, both hubby and I have noticed that we can taste our food better now, is this a common thing, or is it just us?

The squeak shall be sought later, Janey… πŸ˜€

on

Sneaky reply whilst hiding behind my laptop at work…. I also commented how food seemed to suddenly start tasting better. I reckon it’s because it’s no longer sandwiched between slabs of bread (drooling at that thought) or mounds of rice and pasta, which, let’s face it, are essentially tasteless ‘fillers’ on the plate. Now we just focus on the good stuff!
    Hope your iCloud is secure.. Imagine the tabloid headlines if not.. ‘BSD babe bares all’ 😳

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

They are, aren’t they, especially rice and pasta. I want to see how my egg fried rice recipe fares with cauli rice. I’m not going to be out of my kitchen for the foreseeable, if I’m not cooking, I’m washing up, or on Google counting calories. Sheesh.

Hahaha ‘BSD babe bares almost all…’ although the stomach overhang may give the illusion of ‘all’… >.<

Ye Gods…

Please log in or register to post a reply.