Eating clean for Halloween – 4 week challenge ending 31 October???

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

My psychological “restart” is going well! I can recommend this mindset to BSD old timers who might be getting a little complacent and perhaps a little fed up like I had become. Two pounds off already this week so far ! However, it’s book club tonight where there will be a lot of snacks! Today I’ve had yoghurt, chia seeds and a few raspberries and for lunch I had my weekly apple with cottage cheese and pecans! For my evening meal I’ve had aubergine and mozzarella bake with salad. My plan is to partake in the snacks/dips/cheese etc tonight and then be really mindful for the next few days until Tuesdays weight in! My aim is to lose 5lb during the Halloween challenge so I need to stay in control tonight as I would like to be able to post a 2.5 lb weight loss his week!!! Sparkling water tonight because I am the driver. Might try and do a 36 hour fast on Sunday. Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Onetowatch, I’m going to remind you of something that you’ve forgotten. You were in Italy with an extremely difficult weight loss goal to attain in order to get your IVF approval. What was it? Nine kilos in 11 days? Something crazy like that. It seemed unikely under the best of circumstances. It seemed impossible while vacationing in a country with some of the greatest carby foods ever created. I mean, pasta, pizza and bread are the Platonic form of bad carbs, and in Italy they are a true art form.

But you did it. You fasted. You maintained focus. You put everything you had on the line for future baby and it worked. That is the kind of feat of strength you are capable of. And you weren’t even freaking out about it. It was steely resolve at its best.

Once the pressure is off, you got a little lost, I think. The “reward” carbfest that was supposed to be a one-off took you off plan and you’re having a hard time getting back on track. Just remember who you are, what you accomplished in very challenging circumstances. Remember also that your chances of success with IVF improve drastically if you keep the weight off, and your baby will also be much better set up for life-long good health if you stick to the low carb approach.

You are doing this for you, for your family, for your dearly longed for child. There is nothing you can’t achieve with that kind of motivation. You’ve already proven that.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hear hear Esnecca – you can do anything you set your mind to, Onetowatch, so go for it 😃

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Talking about mind set I have just started a FutureLearn course about mindfulness and although it is just about not trying to multitask in week one and some meditation exercises it might be worth looking at for some of you interested in sorting our thinking out.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

today -0.6lb 🙂

This takes me to a new low. Still only losing appx 1lb a week so the ongoing challenge is to be happy with that.

I am much more productive now as I have more energy in the day and so have been able to work a little more (I work freelance part-time in a cognitively very demanding job) the effect of this is that I am now totally no use to anyone after 6pm as I just crave sleep. I am hoping that I will build up a bit more stamina and will be able to manage evenings again but only this week I withdrew from a choir I have been going to as I can’t face evenings. Anyone else experienced this sort of shift in their life balance? It is fascinating really, I have always been a very poor sleeper (had a sleep disorder from age 11) and so a solid 8hrs sleep was a mythical beast. Now my body totally demands it and I can do it 🙂 . My sleep averages have been climbing into healthy ranges over the course of the BSD and it feels as important as getting the right food fuel, it is just a strange experience to move from dysfunctional eating / sleeping into its functional counterpart. Little bit disorientating if I am honest.

on

Hi everyone, on the subject of sleeping, as a retired person I dont have to worry about getting up early and usually go to bed after midnight. Being one hour later I am usually watching UK tv progs that end that hour later. I normally get up around 9am. Last night we decided to have an early night and went to bed around 10.30 read for a little while then slept – right through to……. wait for it….. 11.00 am. Hubby didn’t even come and wake me – oh well as I say, I must have needed it. Just amending to say that getting up late meant no breakfast so saved 200 calories.

BG is down to 4.6 on 22 units so will reduce on Monday to 21. Going to do squats and arm exercises today and then some meditation. Have a good weekend all.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for your lovely positive posts CCathy, and for your encouragement 🙂 it’s great that your restart is working for you so far. I was going well for a few days but had a “bad” day yesterday. Out with the family and ate too many carbs (vegetarian pizza) and drank some wine. Also had a slice of cake with coffee – I so rarely eat cake but gave in to temptation! Anyway I am paying for it today with really bad joint pain, so lesson learnt (again!). I had lost about 700g since Wednesday but am sure yesterday’s indulgences will reverse that! Am pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and rebooting today, will wait till Tuesday before I weigh in again.
    I’ve also been enjoying “sandwiches” made using gem lettuce leaves, I made burritos for the family on Friday night and wrapped mine in lettuce leaves. It means I can still have my favourite sandwich fillings (like curried egg).
    Just planning meals for the next few days. I’m having Greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts for breakfast (blueberries are in season here and quite cheap at the moment). Lunch is Rainbow salad with tahini dressing, probably with some tuna, and dinner is slow cooked corned silverside with veg.
    I’ve been having the “no carb bircher ” from the 8week BSD book for breakfast this week. In the past I found it way too sweet, because of the apple juice. So now instead of 50ml apple juice I use 25ml and 25ml water – SO much nicer! It’s surprisingly filling as well.
    I might make some Porridge bread today too – I made some a few weeks ago and it froze really well (I sliced the loaf thinly as it was quite high calorie). It’s just porridge oats, yogurt, egg and seeds, but it makes a good regular bread alternative.
    Hope everyone else is going well and enjoying the weekend 🙂

• posted by Marsie
    on

Eek!! Milk chocolate, specifically 2 snack packs of Cadbury’s Turkish Delight, bought while at sale price, to make my rocky road (requested as a donation) ….. eaten, all gone, can only have been by me. 😲😵 Have to buy more, but not until the day of making. Not a pretty confession!!

on

Hi everyone, still doing well and BG are very low this morning at 4.2 and that suits me fine. Still not weighing but had a couple of glasses of wine last night. Hey I have to have a life.

Well Marsie I would not berate you for having a Cadbury’s TD as it is what keeps my daughter in luxury (LOL) as she is a senior scientist with that good old chocolate factory in Bournville. Dont like milk chocolate myself so never get tempted when I get to go around the staff shop and can buy Cream Eggs for 10p or a box of Roses for £1. I have lots of friends 🙂

on

I am fasting today and finding it a little difficult already!! . Usually when I fast I am on my own. I’ve just made lunch for my husband and sat in the same room whilst he ate it. That was not easy! I am only early into the fast and feel hungry already. My son had invited us over this afternoon so I have informed him I will have black coffee or water! He is oK with that. I am going to eat tomorrow at either breakfast time or hopefully lunch time. In my experience, the longer the fast, the easier it gets. I had lost 2lb this week but when I weighed yesterday following book club snacks (crisps and cheese and crackers!) I had put that back on hence the fast today. I am determined to lose 5lb during this month’s challenge and need a good early weight loss to be able to achieve that. I’ve got some peppermint and licorice tea and some rhubarb tea so with their help I will carry on and hope to be able to post a loss of at least 2lb on Tuesday. Previously I’ve had two weigh in days Saturday and Tuesday but now I am only having my official weigh day on a Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing how we’ve all done on Tuesday. Keep going everyone!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Afternoon

Today -0.0lb. Stayed the same which is progress as Hubby and I usually gain on Saturday night / Sunday morning from the Spanish chicken recipe in the BSD book. I decided to swap it for Michael’s fish cake recipe, which I loved. Today was an unplanned fast of 19.5hrs as had a headache and couldn’t stomach anything. Hoping for good things on the scales tomorrow.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Today -1.8lb 😱😛😛 – totally thrilled.

That is the most I have lost in 24hrs since week 1 & 2 of BSD. Yesterday was a migraine day and so spent it in bed only walked about 1.5k steps so the calories burned were just existence ones. I weigh morning and evening that way I have 2 trend lines and yesterday was the first day that I was in the 130s morning and evening. I was definitely sub 800 yesterday but probably not by much but I did take out the BSD Spanish chicken from our weekly meal plan on Saturday evening as I think that the chorizo was causing my weekly weekend gain, water retention perhaps? I didn’t tamper with the meal plan before as I was losing steadily (but slowly) and it was a way to practice being ok with small gains which I will really need to be when I move on from fast 800. Now, however, ready to mix it up a little.

on

Good going Mokovex- should be a good loss for you this week! I am at 36 hours in my fast and will be eating my lunch at 12.30 pm today. Eggs and salad and yoghurt and raspberries. Just having a coffee before leaving for work. Will drink lots of water prior to lunch time. Don’t feel bad at all – I find it easier the longer I fast. This will be a 40 hour fast which I think is sufficient once or twice a month for me. Am really hoping for a positive result tomorrow. Have a great day everyone and let’s hope we smash our goals for the week one weigh in tomorrow.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi All – I’m BACK – did you miss me?? Don’t answer that…

So after a week of debauchery I weighed myself yesterday morning – considering I wasn’t even going to weigh myself until next Tuesday (too scared) I felt that was good going. I’d gained 3lbs. I was very pleased with that but with the extra 2lbs inexplicably gained the week before that’s 5 in all that I have to get rid of this challenge and only 3 weeks to do it! Added to that the 9 days I’m having to spend in the USA on business and I really have got my work cut out for me!. Some things learned from my first sunshine, all inclusive holiday since starting BSD

I can totally live without pasta, pizza, potato and rice…but not bread!
    I didn’t drink anywhere near what I thought I would
    I am completely obsessed with having enough water
    I should weigh a lot less given the chunks of flesh that the mosquitos have taken out of me
    You are never too large to wear a bikini….apparently.

So I’m back on it from today – fasting until dinner (that will be 26 hours) and my stomach thinks my throat’s been cut! Nevertheless, need to be 100% on it and will hopefully post a good result next Tuesday – won’t be posting tomorrow as I’m going to try the once a week approach.

There has been an amazing response to this challenge, let’s hope we all have some fabulous results to post by Halloween. Eat clean everyone!!

TC x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Am being positively saintly – so at last my head is in the right place to do this challenge. I am saving the jar of meridian almond butter and jar of hazelnut butter for a Christmas treat. the meridian nut butters definitely contributed to the 6lb weight gain over August and September so they are best left unopened until then.

6lb over 2 months isn’t too bad. In my carb eating days I once gained 10lb in one week. I hadn’t been on a diet prior to the holiday – but rather unfortunately our cottage was very close to an artisan bakery which triggered a massive carb fest.

Have definitely lost some weight already and am looking forward to weigh in tomorrow.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done topcac it could have been so much worse and at least you’re dealing with it straight away.

I am having the day from ….. not sure where but it’s a place with nuts and, dare I say, chocolate biscuits, although they are dark chocolate!

Why am I telling you this? In the hope that in putting ‘pen to paper’ I can stop the rot now before the day is completely ruined. Will be here to weigh in tomorrow but not holding my breath!

Hope everyone else is having a good day!

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia have just read your post …. seems we are ‘chalk and cheese’ at the moment. Obviously with me being the ‘cheese’ who’d want to eat chalk!!!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Ha ha KrysiaD — good for your willpower not to open the nut butters! We have a product here called Nutzo which is a nut butter with about seven types of nut in it, including cashews and Brazil nuts and I literally cannot buy it because if I do buy it and actually bring it into the house, I cannot stop picking at it until I have downed the whole jar — takes me about 48 hours! LOL! So now I walk by the jars at the store and think fondly of how amazing it is but I won’t let myself buy it. I am not one of those people who can even have it in the house (or freezer). Our freezer is empty except for nuts and bacon and the fridge looks like a Victorian greenhouse full of plants 😀

• posted by topcac
    on

Verano – did you manage to stop the rot?

I had to break my fast at about 3pm – unfortunately I broke it on a chicken and bacon sandwich!!1 – OH POO!!! I think my stomach will take a few days to get back in the swing so tomorrow I shall have some BSD friendly food with me (would have done that today but had no time and no car!)

It’s a marathon, not a sprint – must remember that

• posted by Theodora
    on

Welcome back TC, and that small 3lb gain, as well as the inexplicable 2lbs, will certainly be gone before you know it, I’m sure – though not if you tuck into chicken and bacon sandwiches too often!😜

Verano, just draw a line under it, we all have those days occasionally!

Well done on your willpower, Krysia – am I the only person here who has never, ever even tried a nut butter? Not even peanut butter? Now, after hearing how addictive they are, I think I may never go there on the basis of “what you’ve never had, you won’t miss”!!

So far today all I’ve had is a bowl of yoghurt, as I’ve spent most of the day at the hospital with my mother (you may remember she had a nasty fall a couple of weeks ago?) She’s doing ok, but I didn’t have time for anything before we went as her first appt was 8am and negotiating rush hour traffic meant rather an early start , so just had 3 very large black coffees whilst there, another large one (freebie) in Waitrose on the way home, and the yoghurt when I finally got home about 3pm. Now not feeling at all hungry, but just a little bit wired!!😝 Far too much caffeine for one day🤔 Really missing my usual 2 hour morning dog-walk though (o/h had that pleasure), and it means my steps are WAY down today!

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s first week’s results tomorrow.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – hope you managed to stop the rot! At least the chocolate biscuits are dark chocolate. It has taken me the whole of September to stop the rot with the nut butters.

Californiagirl – I have been doing the same with my nut butters. Once I opened one they were lucky to last 48 hours. An incredibly huge amount of calories.

Topcac – you are so right – it is a marathon not a sprint. You did so well on your holiday. You must have made some good food choices on holiday.

Theadora – you are wise not to start on the nut butters. It is so weird – I am absolutely fine with nuts, but nut butters are absolutely irresistible. Glad to hear that your mother is getting better. You did well to avoid the awful food in hospital cafes.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Glad it’s not just me with the nut butters! In the past couple of months I’ve been puzzled about my weight creeping up but finally have to admit to myself that the 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter ( mixed with butter, oh dear!) may be the culprit! Well, I think I knew all along but SO addictive, I just couldn’t stop! Sadly not even a health food nut butter but good old Kraft! It makes such a good satay sauce with some coconut oil and fish sauce that I use that as an excuse to keep a massive jar around. Shall move to the teeny tiny one instead…😕

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’ve also had to ban nut butter from the house 😔

Another big, social weekend but I tried to be mindful with eating and drinking. Half a kilo down for this first week so I’m pretty happy with that- though it is only bringing me back down to where I was 10 days ago. Hopefully I’ll be breaking new ground from here on in.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I get a tiny container of freshly ground peanut butter from the bulk nuts section of my health food store. It’s grainy and textured and I really like the pure peanutty flavor of it, but doesn’t have the binge appeal of fully emulsified nuts butters. One 4 tablespoon container lasts me a couple of weeks, easy. The lesson is, buy slightly weirdo stuff that still tastes good and is good for you, but has a mouthfeel like it was stone ground with a granite wheel pulled by Belgian draft horses.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone, I’m not at all into the nut butters .I don’t like peanut butter ,so I have not tried the others ,whole nuts especially cashews and Macadamias are my downfall. It seems we are all having the odd bad day lately. Mine has been the leftover cake from my son’s birthday and a sudden desire for bread. On the plus side, I seem to have solved the constipation problem. with a kiwi fruit for night snack and 150mls of V8 vegetable juice mixed with hot water at breakfast,of course an increase in water.
    My weight is down .4KG . Its not much but better than nothing. I want to loose the .4 by friday when we are off to Singapore for a wedding.We are being treated to stay at Marina Bay Sands and I intend to swim in the rooftop pool looking as slim as possible. Then I will eat everything that’s severed and a few wines. It would be rude not to eat and enjoy I will let you know the damage next week .
    cheers Lynne

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Start : 140.3 lb
    Today: 136.6 lb

Loss – 3.7 lb WHAT!!!!!!! 😛 had to quadruple check that to make sure.

Given that I usually lose about 1lb a week this seems unbelievable. I lost a total of 5lb in the last challenge.

Today also marks the end of my first full 8 weeks BSD. I started 8 weeks ago at 154lb (appx dodgy scales) so that is a loss of 17.4lb. Like so many people, super thrilled with how it has changed my relationship to food.

One thing I am starting to get a little concerned about is fat loss. Can anyone who has been doing this a while tell me how your fat loss has gone. Whilst I am continuing to lose weight, my fat loss seems to have stalled at 33% (been there a few weeks now). I have always been a TOFI and now concerned that I am losing lean mass rather than fat. I appreciate that the scales aren’t the most accurate measure but my hip – waist ratio is also still in high risk, not even moderate, but high! Currently I have a BMI of 22 and wear a size 10-12 uk. Just wondering how low I need to go to get into a healthy fat range. Anyone else been in this situation?

ClarinetCathy- 40 hour fast a couple of times a month seems like a good way to go, how long have you been doing it? What benefits do you notice?
    Topac – all the best with getting back to it.
    Theodora – Really hope your mum continues to improve, is she feeling ok in herself?
    Mariet – well done for navigating a loss through a social weekend. Helps relative newbies like myself know it can be done.
    Butterlover – feeling more than a smidge envious of your Singapore trip 🏊 have a truly gorgeous time.

Hoping for lots of good losses today.

• posted by Verano
    on

Six really good days for me with just one ‘Manic Monday’ so I have no loss to report this week. It’s amazing that even after 15 months I’m still on a learning curve. Yesterday I was late having breakfast so just had half a dozen walnut halves to tied me over. Thus began a day if bingeing!

I know I have to eat breakfast by 10am or my day becomes completely out of sinc. In some ways I envy the ‘fasters’ but as a diabetic I can’t try fasting for anything more than 12 hours overnight. Maybe I should be more vigilant and make sure I don’t have anything other than water after 9pm. I think that will be my goal for this week.

Good to see some losses so well done everyone.

on

My back to basics week has resulted in a 2.4 lb loss so I am on target to lose 5lb for this challenge. Apart from some crisps and cheese and crackers at book club on Friday evening I have stuck to BSD rigidly and did a 40 hour fast on Sunday. Today I weigh 136 lb. I really hope that everyone has had a good start to this Halloween challenge and if not, there are still three weeks left in the challenge to pull things back. Will look forward to reading this thread today and hope to see some great results. Mokovex-wow! Just off to work….. have a great day everyone

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello all – no loss to report this week, stayed exactly the same. However I still feel positive as despite a bit of overeating at the weekend, I feel I’m back on the right eating track and still have 3 more weeks to lose my 7lb target which I feel is totally doable, plus I may have a whoosh soon!

I too loooove the nut butters, just have the crunchy peanut and the cocoa & hazelnut one in the house, they don’t inspire me to binge exactly though, they’re so nice but quite rich, and a teaspoon or two every few days is a real treat.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Forgot to weigh in this morning, and am now heading to work so will weigh in tomorrow instead. Having said that I have just broken my Monday fast with a slice of wholemeal toast and low sugar not-marmalade, so will have to beat down some cravings later possibly. Good to see so many involved with this challenge, and yes I agree that nut butters are a dangerous combination of too delicious and too many calories! I mostly manage to control myself to just a teaspoon or two, but occasionally quarter of a jar will disappear.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good to hear of some encouraging losses and the impressive ones achieved by Mokovex (wow😃) and CC. For those who haven’t yet had success so far, keep going – another 3 weeks to achieve your mini-goals.

7lbs of wriggle room seems to be the new norm for me and my body seems to have settled on 112lbs – much lower than I was aiming for when I set out on the BSD journey way back in January, which was 144lbs! So this morning I weighed in at exactly 8st, even after a couple of glasses of red wine last evening, which is a pound less than I started this challenge at, but the same as the week before that. So maintaining nicely, if a little low. Going away next week to The Cotswolds for a couple of days to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary so may be glad of the extra wriggle room then😉

Hope to hear of more successes from those yet to post. Good luck for the coming week everyone.

PS Mokovex, thank you for enquiring after my mother, she is feeling fine in herself now and has, as of yesterday, started physio. But she is very frustrated at having her usual busy life curtailed – she’s 92 and very independent 😉

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano, I can’t fast either – except for overnight. I often have to eat my evening meal around 4pm because I work evenings so as long as I avoid a snack when I get home at 10pm I can just about make somewhere between 14 to 15 hours. But I feel really wobbly and weird if I try to extend the fast and do the dog instead of breakfast. I hadn’t thought that this was probably because of the diabetes, but it does make sense.

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one who has problems with the nut butters. Esnecca – I am afraid that your nut butter from the health food store is exactly the sort of nut butter I love and can’t resist. I kid myself that they are so good for me – which of course they are, but not in the quantity that I have been eating them lately.

Loss today is 3.25lb which I am really happy with. Have done this averaging 1400 calories a day so may stay at that level next week.

Mokovex well done for your great weight loss. Are you making sure that you have eaten adequate protein. I think that we need 50g of protein a day so we don’t lose lean muscle mass but I know that there are other people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable about this issue and will be able to advise you more correctly.

• posted by soapbox
    on

As predicted the weekend away did a bit of damage but I got straight back onto it yesterday.

Progress so far is:

Start of challenge 13 6
    6/10 13 4
    10/10 13 5

Hoping for a good week ahead as no planned outings so far!

• posted by Verano
    on

Snap Theodora…. my 48th is onThursday. Enjoy your trip my celebration will be a meal out!

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Some great news being reported at the weekly weigh in!
    I can add to that, delighted and surprised to weigh in at 9st 3 this morning, that’s over two pounds down on last week and the first downwards shift I’ve had in around five or six weeks!
    Peanut butter on toast used to be my favourite naughty late night snack, and I haven’t had any since starting BSD because without the toast it doesn’t have the same appeal for me. Dark chocolate on the other hand…

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Dark chocolate is super!
    Oh dear I’m really struggling today. Off to get a black coffee to stave the hunger and I don’t really like black coffee.
    Congratulations on the great results everyone.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all

Not a good start to the day and it’s only 10am!! Trying to remember why I started this plan in the first place and have come on here to be accountable. Will also be writing in my diary which has become quite neglected of late. It’s not been terrible and if I can pull things back today I should be OK. Am going to have some breakfast which is two boiled eggs and some ham, because otherwise the snacks laid out in the office are going to keep calling me, as they have done all morning.

Constant struggle at the moment – I know it’s the remnants of the holiday coming back to haunt me – must stay strong.

Well done to everyone posting a loss today, big or small, or even a maintain – in most cases the difference between a loss and a maintain is timing!

Let’s hope the whoosh fairy visits soon!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I agree the dark chocolate is super. I love Lindt 90%. There was a typo in my post – should have read – do the dog walking instead of breakfast.

Topcac – hope the rest of the day goes well. Good idea to have some breakfast otherwise the lure of the office snacks (so helpfully laid out) will be irresistable.

Was on a course in London at the end of September. None of the snacks laid out for us for lunch and during breaks were remotely BSD friendly. My lovely hotel wasn’t very helpful either as there were two boxes of handmade biscuits in my room and a cross between a chocolate and a biscuit at the end of each meal. Actually after one meal there were 4 of these just for me. I couldn’t let the carb monster win – so carefully packed everything up to take home to husband. Thank goodnes for Prets and M&S who saved the day with their protein pots.

• posted by topcac
    on

Thanks Krysia – I still find it weird that hotels haven’t cottoned on to the fact that maybe, just maybe, we don’t want high sugar, high fat, high carbs laden ‘treats’ at every break!

I’ve definitely opened the door to the carb monster and now he is trouncing around my body like he owns the place. It’s taking me a little while to round him up, lasso him and shove him out the door. In the meantime I am not stepping foot outside my office so that I can’t see the sweets….!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Good luck Topcac on your battle with the carb monster. Good strategy to stay in your office. That will defeat him – hopefully he will then go away.

on

Well that is the last time I stop weighing daily. Not weighed since Friday and gained 0.4 kg over the week. That is about a pound. Still yo-yoing around 76kg. Also I managed 180 mins of exercise last week not including the time spent squatting and curling plus HiiT so what was all that about.

Still done 50 mins aerobics this morning and still sticking to the plan. I really have to sort out where it is going wrong. Surely the odd glass of wine over the weekend cannot be causing this damage when I read of some people eating toast or biscuits. I have nearly 2 weeks (10days) to get some loss under my belt. Surely I can do this. Heeeeeeelp.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

It looks like a lot of you had a good first week. MY week was up and down and in the end I’m up 0.8 of a pound. It good have been worst but I did get back on track yesterday. I have today all plan out which makes it a lot more easier to stick to my eating for the day. I have learned that if you get right back on track the next day the weight comes right back off fast and than some.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day. Right now its 7 am here.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Sunshine girl, don’t get too rattled by the slight gain, you’ve probably been building muscle.
    I found a really good article explaining that our bodies are not good at building/repairing AND burning fat at the same time. I’m not sure what time period counts as ‘at the same time’, but personally I’d leave more than a single day after an exercise day, before hoping for weight loss to resume.
    The amount of muscle we have is important for speeding up weight loss, but the flipside is that we have to build it first! (And as I mentioned, we can’t do both at the same time.)
    Exercise itself burning off calories is mostly smoke and mirrors though.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi everyone. Just reporting a 2 lb loss (after 2 weeks of staying the same) so very pleased about that.
    I’ve just realised that my bathroom scales are 25 years old! Electronic and getting a bit rusty! They seem to be working okay Trouble is, they don’t register a loss/gain of less than a 1 lb! So, I shall have to do some research into “modern day” bathroom scales and what’s out there…

• posted by Marsie
    on

Some very clever people with some very nice results for the first week of our spooktacular challenge (someone said that on the first day, who was it? It was good). Well done, all.
    Enjoy your Singapore wedding Butterlover, I’m sure you’ll have a great time. (Don’t altogether ignore the longer view of your son’s wedding though, will you….).

Up for me, this morning. I’ve touched 65kg again which I said I wouldn’t do. I’m in full automatic eating mode, which means carbs, so topcac while you have your lasso out for your carb monster, grab mine too please. Inka13, you could have been writing my story….peanut butter + butter, talk about self-indulgent. I buy Mayver’s dark roasted crunchy. OH loves it and when I was BSD obedient, I could just take a small tspn of it when I wanted some crunch in my mouth, then stop. I will make that happen again.

Cajun seasoned fish fillets with steamed veg for dinner tonight, maybe 1 square of 90% Lindt if I feel the need. There, I feel that is a good end to this day, I will have a better full day tomorrow. I’m bringing out of the cobwebby vault my “one day at a time” mantra.

Very happy 48th Anniversaries Theodora and Verano. Congratulations and good wishes 🙂 xx Marilyn

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi All,
    I’ve lost 2lbs this week which I’m pleased about as I got back last night from a long weekend in Poland (Gdansk). My husband and I had to trek around a bit looking at menus for BSD-friendly meals, but it worked out well. I had fish, meat and salad mostly – and I also walked much more, which no doubt helped with the weight loss.
    Losing a couple of pounds is great, but because this is a lifetime change for me I’m more pleased with knowing that I can manage this way of eating while abroad. The real positives for me this week were finding I was still able to try out a different country’s dishes (the food was delicious), and learning that being forced to step outside my comfort zone when picking my food is a good thing.

KazzUK and MaiseMouse – it’s great you’ve both seen losses. MaiseMouse, that’s a long time to wait so well done to you for persevering.
    sunshine-girl – I don’t know what’s happening – sounds like Ancient Weaver might – but I know if anyone on here can reach their goals, you can!
    topcac – it’s a new week – keep going, you’ll get through
    Everyone else – good luck for the next week
    n.b. Verano and Theodora, Happy 48th wedding anniversaries – hope you both enjoy the day

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello all.
    I am pleased to have lost 4 lbs since I returned from holiday last week.
    Today is my BSD birthday – is anyone else from 10th October 2016 group still around? I have lost 2.5 stones over the year, though 7 – 9 lbs regularly appear, as I am lucky enough to enjoy regular holidays. However it usually takes the weeks in between to lose those pesky pounds.
    I didn’t think I would have lasted so long here and, in the main, I eat low carb but still enjoy a drink at the weekend.
    Although I don’t post often I visit you all each day and find your support and humour keeps me going and I also follow you Marsie with one day as a time.
    Love and thanks
    X B

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Busybee
    I just wanted to say happy BSD birthday – staying with it for a year is really impressive, and really encouraging to a relative newbie like me who knows this WOE has to be for the long-term.
    Marie x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Mokovex, how are you measuring your fat percentage? I have some old Salter scales that do the measuring and they stubbornly still tell me I am 34% fat now, when the more accurate Boditrax scanner that uses hand sensors as well has my fat percentage at a very low 21-22%, I think that is because I am a ‘pear’ shape, and still have proportionally more fat on my legs and bottom which the Salter then measures with the foot sensors and extrapolates to the rest of my body. The Boditrax tells me that my ‘trunk’ fat percentage is very low, in the athletic range, and visceral fat was 4.3cc if I remember correctly. Of course the Boditrax also still tells me I am over my ideal weight as I have too much muscle (sigh).

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Cathy and all of the other losers this week!
    Happy BSD-versary Busybee 🙂 its great that a year later you are still sticking with it – I wonder how the rest of your starting group are going?
    Theodora and Verano – happy 48th anniversary to each of you 🙂
    I initially started off this challenge well, and a few days in had quite a loss, however had a bit of a blip on the weekend so the loss is now less! Still, 450g (or 0.99 of a lb) is better than nothing. I needed to lose an average of 700g per week to reach my challenge goal weight – so it just means my weight loss each week for the rest of the challenge needs to be a bit more – just put it in the calculator and it comes up as 783g!
    Today I’m having berries and yoghurt for breakfast, (home made) corned beef & salad for lunch, and chicken stir fry for dinner.
    Have a good week everyone 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.