Eating clean for Halloween – 4 week challenge ending 31 October???

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Aah, nice to think of us walking down the aisle together, Verano💞💖💓

Thank you everyone for your good wishes.

Some good achievements and lots of positive thinking on this challenge, so well done everyone.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Today +0.3lb, I think this is water gain after a particularly big loss.

Happy anniversary Theodora and Verano. Very impressive.

Mixnmatch. How interesting that you get such vastly different readings. I am measuring body fat by scales. I know that there are more accurate ways to measure so I am trying to hold onto the number lightly. When I feel that I am closer to my ideal BF % then I will go and get a body composition scan (ultrasound) which isn’t the gold standard of a DEXA scan but some research I have read says that it is pretty accurate as they ultrasound 7 different parts of the body to measure fat and lean mass.

I am an apple shape so I suspect that my scales are not wildly off on their reading as my waist/hip ratio is still in the high risk category. After having a whinge on here yesterday however, my body fat on the scales seemed to shift this morning for the first time in weeks. I will see if that trend continues or is a blip.

Krysia, I love my protein and think I get enough but perhaps I need to be more precise in tracking it.

Go well all,

• posted by Marsie
    on

Happy BSD birthday, Busybee. Lovely always to hear from/about you and share “one day at a time”. You’ve certainly done very well this week with 4lb down. Keep it going 😊👏

SueBlue, love your planning. It’s sure to help you towards your goal😊

marie123, you did so well managing your BSD needs on your holiday. Augers well for your ongoing plans, i think😊

Oh, Mnm, nothing is ever quite perfect, is it? Even so, that scanner sounds very interesting and I’d guess you’re incredibly thrilled with the marvelous changes to your body that you’ve brought about.

For me, 600g loss overnight, so only a brief foray into the dreaded 65kgs…..So far today, lots to drink, (water and herbal teas) but nothing to eat until a smaller than usual salad for lunch plus a coffee with a dash of milk. Will endeavor to go through until dinner with only liquids. Concentrating on this day.

Cheers everybody x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

A day late for my weigh in and I am exactly the same as I was last Tuesday. I think my body has found its new set point and it is just higher than my comfort zone at BMI 25.1 so more drastic intervention is obviously needed if I want my wiggle room back. Still, relative stability despite occasional bad carbs/alcohol is a definite relief when after previous periods of weight loss the weight has always piled back on so quickly. At the start of November it will be 9 months since I reached my target and I think I will have a dry (ish) November and log food and my weight again every day, starting with a few days at 800 calories, followed by a FMD of 5 days at 800 with low protein, and plant based only, then my recovery plan of 50 calories a day increase until back to eating normally. I definitely need more wiggle room before party season starts. I will tough it out until the end of this challenge not weighing every day, and not logging food, as long as my weight is at least stable. The Monday fast seems to be going well, anyway, although I haven’t yet made 40 hours, and sometimes not even 30.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all my challenge buddies

And how are we this morning – all feeling positive about low BS and weight loss?? Drinking water, enjoying delicious food and feeling the fabulous effects of this wonderful way of eating? GOOD!

As you can probably tell, this above sentence is more for my own benefit than you because you all seem to be doing rather well – which is marvelous. Congrats to those who are sticking to it, it really isn’t easy sometimes and congrats to you Busybee on your anniversary. I celebrated about a month ago but no one from my original group seems to be around anymore. My only hope is that they’ve ‘got this’ and don’t feel the need for the forum anymore. My story is a little different!!

I am still chasing my carb monster around with my lasso but I can tell he is tiring. Yesterday was better (no chicken and bacon sandwich!) although I kicked the ar*e out of my calorie allowance, I did keep carbs very low so the sweet cravings are ebbing away and I just have to now get my stomach used to smaller meals. I’ve realised that, because of work travel I will only be able to weigh in next Tuesday and at the end of the challenge. I find that a little liberating, as I am usually a slave to the scales but now I can’t be and will have to trust my judgement for 9 days in the States – fortunately I am a lover of chicken, steak, avocado and burgers so, within reason, I should be able to stick to BSD friendly, if not necessarily the calorie count. Last time I was there for work I gained half a pound so I’m confident I can do this.

Sorry, I’ve rambled a lot – here’s to a good day everyone!

• posted by soapbox
    on

You are all such an inspiration!

I have a long way to go before thinking about maintenance but reading posts about how to be balanced and maintain with wriggle room, increases my motivation significantly!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Happy BSD birthday, Busybee, and well done. A whole year on this WOE must have had a huge impact on your overall health, irrespective of the weight loss. On the 16th October I shall have been following it for 9 months, 5 of those in maintenance and I feel so much better, healthier and fitter.

I no longer count cals but keep carbs as low as I can, very rarely going above 50g but generally significantly lower and am maintaining nicely. But this morning my scales showed another pound gone (which brought my total weight loss to 50lbs!! and 8lbs wriggle room), and the only difference was that I didn’t have my customary glass or two of wine with dinner last night! So, MnM, I think a dry(ish) November will certainly make a difference to you.

Out for lunch today, and big family dinner at a lovely restaurant on Saturday, followed by few days away with o/h next week for our anniversary, so it definitely won’t last, but I thought I’d record the 50lbs loss, as it seemed a bit of a milestone and I may never see it again😜

TC, both you and we know you can do this, you’re an old hand and have managed business trips before and can certainly do it again – just kick that persistent carb monster into touch, as you say, he is already tiring!

• posted by Verano
    on

Theodora I know that you can probably still fit into your ‘frock’ or it may even be too big for you! Unfortunately I can’t say the same. I’m still on my way back down! Thanks all for the good wishes.

Soapbox don’t worry there are quite a few maintainers here but there are also still a few of us who have a way to go so we can all move down together.

Well yesterday was another less than brilliant day for me so today I’ve found a new strategy. Over the last couple of months I’ve gradually disposed of all my ‘loose’ fitting clothes but this morning I had a thought …. the old ‘tight waistband’ trick. I figure I need to wear something a bit skimpy so that I’m ‘aware’ of my body. Hopefully, this ‘tighter’ feeling will stop me eating mindlessly.

Any other tips to get me back on the bandwagon will be great fully received! I WILL have a loss next Tuesday, even if it means chopping off an arm!!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello everyone, happy anniversary to V & T – oops my fave drink. 48 years is impressive, I am heading for 25 years and sometimes think we wont make that when I get mad with him – but only for a minute.

Had a long hard look at what I am eating and found that yesterday I probably had around 1200 calories based on a combination of 2 high calorie foods – cheese and avocado and that was before I had my evening snack of around 100 calories. I seem to have stopped doing menus and just eat random meals based on things I have eaten in the past. The thing is, when I do it properly I can see that X doesn’t go with Y or A is too high in calories to stay within 800. I have to start planning properly and counting again. Thing is I am going away in just over a week and I dont know if I can get myself motivated. I know I could lose 3lbs in that time but my head is just not in it. I have to remember that if I dont crack down now I could be another 5lbs over when I get back so that would be a total of 8lbs to start fighting off. I really must try and do something.

Sorry about the moan – keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g I don’t think it’s possible to stay on track without weighing and logging, well it isn’t for me. I just think that ‘random’ eating, even of BSD friendly foods, doesn’t work. I know how monotonous it gets spending so much time weighing etc. but I think for me it’s the only way. So now I just have to put that into practice. Come on we have been so disciplined in the past we just need to get back on track and we can and will. Let’s not ruin all our good work and fall by the wayside, …. let’s just keep on keeping on …. even if it’s only for today!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hello sunshine-girl
    I can’t really come on here and offer much advice to someone who has been doing so well for so long. But it does sound to me as if you’re tired of it right now. As you say your head’s just not in it. Maybe you need to take the pressure off in terms of losing 3lbs and think about just trying to maintain this next week – you might feel more refreshed and geared up to follow BSD principles while your away.
    Marie x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl
    I can’t stay on track either without weighing and logging. I know exactly what it feels like to have your head just not in it – as that is exactly how I was after husband broke his hip in August. I continued to eat only BSD food – but allowed myself to eat far too much of it until my head was back in it. That took a whole 2 months!!

I put on 6lbs and lost over 3lbs this week – my first week back on it. I think – because we are in this for the long haul – there are going to be times when life gets in the way and as a result our heads are just not in it.

What is wonderful though is that this way of eating doesn’t pile on the pounds in the same way as a carb fest would. Two months of extreme eating of hazelnut and almond butters and vats of double cream only resulted in a 6lb gain.

Just realised that yesterday was my 10th month on maintenance. Having the blip and not doing too much damage has made me realise that maintenance is doable in the long term. Before the blip I was a little worried that a wobble would spell the end of the BSD for me.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, now there’s a thought that hadn’t even occurred to me! Despite the fact that it’s only a week til our anniversary, I hadn’t even considered the “frock”. I do still have it however, and I MAY be able to get into it now – I am 8st now, give or take a pound (7st 12.5lbs this morning), and was 7st 4lbs when we got married, so worth a try! Now wouldn’t THAT be a surprise for o/h if I were to come down for breakfast (or dinner, or whatever) in my wedding dress on the day!!😛 Blimey, he might just die of shock!! 😝 But now that you’ve put the idea into my head, I may just dig it out and at least try it on. When we got married, I swore I would never put on weight (didn’t we all?), and that I would try “the frock” on every year on our anniversary just to prove it. And I did too, until after my youngest son was born and then it all went to pot! Maybe, if I can get into it again, it’s a tradition I should reinstate😍

Krysia, I agree, even if we go way over on cals, as long as we keep the carbs relatively low, the pounds don’t go on nearly as quickly, so far easier to correct after holidays or “blips”. And well done on your 10th month maintenance, I’m a month behind you, 5 days until my 9th.

Feeling a bit bloated atm, as just returned from rather a long “girls” lunch – only ordered chicken, bacon and avocado salad but when it arrived it had noodles mixed in, so I’m afraid I ate them as I couldn’t be bothered picking them all out. They also served homemade warm crisps – both potato and tortilla, before lunch, so did partake in a few of those. Only one very small glass of wine though, as I was driving – taking the car is a good ploy to keep the alcohol consumption down.😇 Will definitely be skipping dinner this evening though, feel as though I couldn’t fit another mouthful in!

Keep at least trying to eat clean, everyone 😀

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Do go for the dress, and let us know how it goes Theodora, my mother wore hers on her 50th anniversary, which inspired me to lose the eight stone and get back into mine for my 25th anniversary. I am going to stretch it to every five years to try to keep me honest, but will be trying it on again every 5 years, hopefully right the way up to when I match mum. I am deliberately not weighing and logging at the moment, but I am also not losing. I am just so encouraged by the fact that I am not gaining either.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Okay MnM, I’ll dig it out when o/h isn’t around and report back – not holding my breath though – half a stone is half a stone after all. Wouldn’t every year keep you honest too?

Krysia, just realised I’ve made an untrue claim above, albeit inadvertently. You have done sooo much better than me at achieving 10 months maintenance. I’m only approaching 5 months ‘ it’s following this WOE for which I’m about to celebrate 9 months. Sorry.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Probably would, but I think it would only last for a couple of years and then get the ‘too much hassle’ death knell. With 5 years it will be more of an occasion and a long term commitment to staying slim and healthy. I can always try on my never worn to a ball, ball dress in the interim years which is a very similar size and shape, that doesn’t need digging out of storage, just opening the wardrobe door 😁

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Theodora – don’t be sorry – 5 months on maintenance is absolutely brilliant. I used to find that when I followed other diet plans maintenance probably only lasted 5 days. Once I went back on the bad carbs I would regain all the weight lost (and more) really quickly. So I feel we are all so lucky to find something that really works for us.

Mixnmatch – I am quite impressed that you are not logging or weighing but are not gaining weight. I am hopeful that I will eventually be able to do that. At the moment it is very helpful to log and weigh – although I am getting a lot better at guessing the weight of what I am eating.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

today -0.3lb, so back down to previous low.

Hubby is now at the weight he was in 2011 when training for a marathon so we are both happy bunnies.

Mixnmatch/KrysiaD/Theodora – I think I am more impressed with maintenance than loss, so huge kudos to you all (plus anyone else I have missed). Not to denigrate anyone’s efforts in their weightloss (which I know are huge) but for me personally, bigger demons are fought in simply sticking to it or coming back from indulgences. I haven’t yet deviated from the plan (just a little over 8 weeks now) so I simply don’t know if my head is truly in the game in terms of coming back from a carb fest. We are off to Italy on the 19th and plan to get stuck in to local cuisine but hopefully not to the extent we would have done 8 weeks ago. I am an all or nothing type of gal so my concerns are always about moderation. Too many years spent trying a new woe, ‘failing’ and then moving on to the next one. Not really any experience of sticking to it.
    Topac – same goes, only 0.5lb gain on previous trip, amazing, you have every right to be confident.

Keep going x

• posted by Verano
    on

Good luck with the dress Theodora please let us know the outcome. I no longer have mine although I did keep it for way over 30 years. It had a lace bodice and some of the ‘flowers’ from the lace were also on the skirt. Unfortunately they had been glued on and after many, many moons the glue turned yellow so that must have been when I disposed of it. Plus of course it no longer fitted and I guess I thought I had no chance of ever getting back down to that size again …. but hey who knows maybe one day !!!!

I do love all these stories of maintenance. I guess I have been ‘maintaining’ myself for the last four months or so. I do still have weight to lose, quite a bit, but I have managed to more or less stay the same, with just a small loss, through the summer with holidays, weekends away and general celebrations, all with modest indulgences. Although I have dropped a few more pounds my diet has been lax. Whilst I still don’t eat bread, potatoes, pasta or rice I have been having the odd packet of crisps, a digestive here and there and a few glasses of red, and of course my three or four nut ‘treat’ has expanded into a small handful! Nonetheless, I have not gained back any of my over 4 stone loss. I suppose I have to look at that as a success but now it really is time to move back to full on BSD and get the scales moving down again. The real beauty of this WOE is that it is sustainable in the long term, as so many of you are proving.

So no more resting on my laurels and past glory it’s back to the grindstone for me so that I can post a loss next Tuesday. Yesterday was an improvement for me. Anyway, have a good day everyone! Keep on keeping on …..

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning all and thank you for your BSDversary wishes.
    Reading your comments over the past day has really got me thinking.
    It seems that I too have got into the pattern of “maintaining” as I lose and gain the same few pounds and also have taken the easy option of just not eating the “white stuff” and sticking to protein, fat and some low carb veg. Time to start at basics again, count and record calories, drink and record 6 glasses of water and up the daily walking.
    I know I wouldn’t get into my wedding dress but did buy a lovely dress whilst in holiday last week – it is rather tight and a lot shorter than I usually go for and I hope to wear it to a party in December.
    Although I look and feel better after losing 2.5 stones I still need to lose at least the same again so I WILL keep on keeping on one day at a time.
    X B

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano, when I was in the weight loss stage of the BSD I had lots of times when I was actually in maintenance and not losing weight. I think this actually helped a lot when I was in maintenance proper – because by then I had lots of practice at maintaining

On previous diets I was either on a diet or spectacularly out of control on a carb fest. It made me realise that there was a third way – the BSD as a way of eating – not just a diet that I was either on or off. This was something I had never achieved before in almost 50 years of following every diet fad ever invented.

It also made me realise that all my numerous failures I n the past were not caused by having no willpower but because I didn’t realise that, for me, the white stuff can set off seriously bad cravings that I can never satisfy no matter how many bucket fulls of the stuff I consume.

So Mokovex – it might look as though I have done impressively well staying on maintenance – but I have only tried the white stuff once in that time and very luckily for me it immediately made me very sick – really good aversion therapy. Although I do crave nut butters it is a much more gentle craving and very easy to switch off – whereas the sugar and wheat combo isn’t.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Yes, yes! This all chimes with me too. I feel that it is a third way. It’s seems too simple to be true and yet I’ve found that as long as I don’t eat the bread/pasta/rice and such like I can eat almost anything without fear of putting weight back on, without calorie counting or weighing, without ever being hungry or feeling deprived. There are plenty of days when I have snacked on too much cheese or dark chocolate but without any weight gain. It’s a revelation!
    I started BSD 800 in May and was very strict for six weeks. Since then I’ve adopted the more relaxed Mediterranean style of eating and have continued to lose a little weight albeit much slower. But that’s ok because I’ve lost two stones now and I’m really happy with how I look now at 9st 3. Yes I never thought I would be HAPPY with how I look. But I think a lot of the happiness is wrapped up in finding this new WOE which is SO easy and sustainable and feeling like the weight is off for good by following these simple principles. I love reading your stories, you long term maintainers! It’s so inspiring! And you’ve inspired me to lose a few more pounds so that I can get this ‘wiggle room’ of which you speak. 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

WoooHoooo!!😃 I dug “the frock” out and tried it on and guess what……………….it fits😊 Well, to be fair, almost – waist, hips and length absolutely perfect (so I can’t have shrunk THAT much height-wise😉) but, whilst the zip just about did up, it is a tad tight on the bust. So that is where I am obviously carrying that 7 or 8 pounds that I didn’t have 48 years ago. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing? It’s a very simple, closely fitted, slightly A-line dress with a very long train with no ornamentation other than a dozen tiny, tiny self covered buttons at each wrist and dozens and dozens of them running down the back (zip concealed beneath them) so wouldn’t conceal much in the way of excess weight, so not sure whether to feel elated or gobsmacked!! Probably both! My daughter’s wedding dress is hanging in our Box Room, she is tiny and I suspect it may be a bit big for her now, and I’m tempted to try it on – it was far more of a “meringue” than mine! And I’ve never worn a meringue! Not really my style! It’s a shame you no longer have yours, Verano, particularly after keeping it for so many years. And, despite the fact you still have a few pounds to lose, maintaining a 4st loss with everything that has been going on in your life is quite impressive, so well done.

Busybee – try to stay focussed and I have every faith that you’ll be in that gorgeous new dress in ample time for the party season.

Krysia, I’m with you – I’m maintaining by staying off the white carbs too. I have had one or two “indulgences” but ended up feeling so bloated and uncomfortable, that I really tend not to bother now – though I do enjoy the occasional frites with my moules without mishap.

Maisie, you are so right, this is not a diet, it is a long term way of life, and is absolutely doable. I feel totally in control and honestly never have “cravings” any more. That’s not to say I don’t stray and over-indulge sometimes (and I drink wine most days now), but it tends to be BSD friendly indulgences (biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc. just don’t “do” it for me anymore) and the weight is staying off.

I lost another half pound overnight! I can only put this down to the fact that after my girls lunch yesterday, I felt so full and bloated (those noodles mixed in the salad, and the home-made crisps) that I fasted from 3pm until now, so 20 hours. Just got back from 5 mile walk with dogs on this glorious sunny autumn morning and about to have my breakfast – feeling well ready for it now. I no longer log or weigh food, unless I am doing a fairly rare 800 day, so maybe I need to increase my intake a bit. When I entered maintenance, I knew it would be difficult, but I was worried about my weight increasing, it never entered my head that it would continue to drop! So, 5 months on, I’m still trying to get the balance right!! I really don’t want to get any thinner, not even to make “the frock” a better fit over the boobs😜

Keep eating clean everyone.

• posted by topcac
    on

Afternoon all

Working from home this afternoon as I was at a seminar this morning and..guess what…no chance of anything BSD friendly AT ALL at the break.. plenty of danish pastries and the like but…shields were up and I had none of it. Just a glass of water. Feeling like I may just manage a sub 800 calories day today, my first in at least a fortnight. Yesterday I managed just over 1000 so slowly but surely getting back onto it.

All this talk of maintaining just hammers home the point to me that I really need to get my head in gear before I even start thinking about it. I managed to maintain my weight loss (which was plus or minus 3lbs from my goal of 9st) for 8 weeks and that was it. I realise now that I went about it completely the wrong way, thinking that I could binge one day and ‘be good’ the next day (I know I know I’m a complete imbecile). That only goes so far before you are in a pattern again of overeating and you’ve woken the carb monster and he will NOT go quietly into the night unless you go straight back into the plan and take the pain of withdrawal.

So, I’ll try again, I have 12.5lbs to lose to get back to goal and this time when I get there I intend to stay there!!

Well done Theodora on your dress success – but admit it, you were TINY for your wedding. I figure you are not the tallest of people but, seriously, I’m pretty sure the photographer on your wedding day must have been conscious not to have you turn sideways in case you disappeared!!

• posted by marie123
    on

Dropped another pound overnight – not really sure how, to be honest, as I think I ate more than normal yesterday (lots of yoghurt). Anyway, that means I’ve lost 3lb since the beginning of this challenge and hit my first target – I reached a half stone mark.

Marsie – Thanks for the encouragement. I’m happy. My blood sugar levels are down (always the main thing for me), I’ve lost a lot of weight. I still have a way to go, but now I believe I can do it. And what the last weeks on holiday have shown me is I can live normally and still enjoy myself on this way of life.
    All I need to do now is try to get rid of the stretch marks under my chin. (Under my chin, I ask you!) Sigh

Theodora – what a lovely thing to be able to get into your wedding dress. That really made me smile. (Sounds a nice dress, too).

Busybee – I’m only in the 10th week of BSD but I’ve been thinking along similar lines as you – I started off better than I finished the 8 weeks in terms of the variety of food I was eating. Have ended up eating ‘a bit of protein, fat and some low carb veg’ as you say. So, I’m going back to basics. I’ve decided my food challenge between now and Christmas is to really widen out my diet; to get the best bang for my buck in terms of both nutrients and flavour. And it will be a challenge because I’m no cook!

Best wishes for over the weekend everyone – Verano, (see I can speak to you now with no guilt) – I love soup, too. (I read your other post). I’m off to make your pea soup – this time I’m going to try it with the spinach!

on

Hi everyone, hey that is great about the dress Theodora. I didn’t post yesterday as I had nothing to say and didn’t want to have another moan fest.

Marie123 I think you are right, I am fed up with it all and need to refocus when I am ready but in the meantime my weight is creeping up – now 76.5 kg. I know what I have to do and once again I am determined. Where have you heard that before – oh that would be me last week and the week before and so on. I have one week to my holiday and I WILL LOSE some weight between now and then. Starting today I have carefully counted calories an carbs and if I am doing well I WILL NOT add in an extra treat, I WILL weigh every day and if I lose I WILL NOT allow an extra treat. It is all a matter of WILL power.

I have slowed down on the exercise as it does very little towards weight loss and causes me to feel guilty if I dont get round to it and guilty when I do it in case I havent done enough. So that is where I am giving myself a break. I dont have to do everything all at once. I am doing a mindfulness course so have dropped down on the French study, again trying to be kinder to myself. And I will get round to planning my meals more carefully if only for the next few days rather than for the whole week.

I will come back for the weigh in on Tuesday but right now I am taking a short break. See you all soon and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Krysia, I think you’ve literally stated the perfect description of the BSD — it is the “third way” — the first being strictly on a (miserable traditional) diet, the second being in an out-of-control eating pattern (we’ve all been there) and then the third being able to eat food, even a decent amount of real food but not gaining.
    It’s practically zen.
    Like MaisieMouse says it’s almost too simple to believe but the facts speak for themselves.
    I really think that something in this eating plan changes your body and your metabolism — it may very well be gut biota changes or possibly insulin control (or a bunch of factors in synergy).
    Hey sunshine-girl, hoping you are better with some holiday and a short break! I think your story is very inspiring.

• posted by Theodora
    on

TC, that made me laugh – about turning sideways and yes, I guess looking back I was rather on the thin side. But it was the 60s and everyone was thin – remember Twiggy? My darling o/h says he can’t remember me EVER being thin!! (Mind you, he was really thin too!!) And I can’t say I remember the photographer thinking I was any thinner than any other bride and we didn’t do things like BMI then (though I have just worked out what mine would have been then and it was a paltry 17 🤔) I’m 5’5″ – or at least I was then, whilst I haven’t been measured recently, o/h tells me I am AT LEAST an inch shorter than that now, so BMI now more like 19 (pre-BSD it was about 28/29 I think) And well done on resisting the pastries this morning😀 If you keep that up, you’ll soon be back to goal.

Marie, well done on 3lb weight loss, that is really encouraging only about 9 days into this challenge. Hoping to hear great things from you by the end. So pleased my “frock” exploit made you smile and that you like the sound of it. I actually designed it myself and had it made for me and it is an absolute classic – it doesn’t look dated at all, and could still be worn today. Not white though, but a very pale “champagne” (o/h used to hate me in white – said it drained me of colour!!!)

s-g, you are quite right, you need to be kinder to yourself. Stop making such demands on yourself, or feeling guilty, you have done – and continue to do – really well. I’m not sure, if I lived in France surrounded by all that wonderful artisan bread and patisserie, I could have weaned myself off them. Oh, the temptation…………….

Californiagirl and Krysia – yes, yes, YES – a third way, and for us the ONLY way. We KNOW it makes sense and we can all do it with each other’s support.

Californiagirl, hope all is well with you, those fires sound absolutely horrific.

on

The fires are a complete disaster. Over 4,000 homes and businesses burned so far with less than 10% containment. They have just evacuated Calistoga and Boyes Hot Springs and Geyserville — three of the most beautiful places on earth. My sister lives just twenty minutes south and is helping rescue horses (she is a 3-day event rider) — my aunt was evacuated from western Fairfield and my niece’s in laws lost their home and livestock in Glen Ellen. And my old friend’s mom and dads home burned the first night (Sunday) in Santa Rosa. We are about an hour south — terrible air quality but that seems the least of the troubles. So so sad in one of the loveliest spots on earth

• posted by alliecat
    on

Californiagirl, this is heart breaking. I know this part of the country
    well, and I think the news coverage is minimal in terms of what is
    happening there. I hope you are safe. My prayers are with you and
    your neighbors.

Allie

on

Thanks Allie. I think there isn’t much news yet because no one is being allowed into these areas yet so they only have a few reports and pictures. The fires are still burning out of control and up until now it has just been evacuation, not fire fighting. They have had looting too and can’t spare the safety personnel to help any owners get in to see their property — my nieces in-laws have not been into Glen Ellen since Sunday night — they only have reports from the fire department.
    Probably there will be more news soon as they start to gain control — I did hear that they were able to save Jack London State Park which was directly in the line of fire.
    There are nine counties burning right now — all started Sunday around 10 pm — we had a wild weird wind event on Sunday but there is a lot of speculation about arson.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thinking of you all California Girl. We have bushfires every year and have had warnings that this year is likely to be particularly bad, it’s heartbreaking to hear the stories. Sadly, ours are not uncommonly the result of arson as well, what’s wrong with people?

• posted by Theodora
    on

Cal-girl, please know you and your compatriots are in our thoughts and our hearts. So awful – bad enough if natural and unavoidable, unforgivable if arson. There are enough troubles in the world, without adding to them.

Sadly all we can do is offer love and moral support, so huge hugs to you all, and praying that the fires are brought under control soon. Thank God for all those brave souls out there, regardless of their own safety, who are out there fighting them. You, yours and they are in our prayers xxxx

on

Thank you for your caring thoughts and prayers everyone! I will keep you posted on the fires.

• posted by Verano
    on

Californiagirl I would just like to add my thoughts and hopes for the safety of all concerned over there. Mother nature (if she is responsible) can be really cruel at times and the US seems to be suffering especially badly at the moment. Keep safe.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Californiagirl, wishing safety for you and yours. It’s heartbreaking altogether, but where there is personal involvement, especially so.

As Mariet said, we here in Australia have bushfires every year so understand the horror of them, and your larger population unfortunately can mean larger losses. Also, it seems that USA imported/planted many eucalyptus trees years ago which are definitely not fire retardant. Good intentions gone awry. I love our eucalypts, become quite homesick for them when travelling, while still knowing their dangers.

Best wishes. xx Marilyn

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Californiagirl – so sorry to hear about the terrible fires and hope you and your family and friends stay safe. So sad also that, apart from the tragic loss of life and homes and businesses, some really beautiful places are being destroyed.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia I think you have hit the nail on the head …. The Third Way…. this really is a ‘new’ healthy way, and a revelation. I’m sure you’re right that ‘mini maintenance’ breaks during the weight loss period help in the long term. We have chosen this as a WOL and each day is different from the previous one. Sometimes we have extra nuts or chocolate etc and sometimes we are very strict with ourselves. How boring would life be if we all became ‘Stepford Wives’ ?

So s-g take your break after all we take ‘holidays’ from other aspects of our lives so why not this one? Relax, renew and refresh and we’ll see you next week if you are ready. If not , enjoy and see you soon.

Theodora feel elated, after all you are probably part of a very small select group of people who can actually still fit into their wedding dress a year after their wedding, never mind 48!!

All this talk about maintenance has made me realise, after reading some of my old posts, that I ‘go back to basics’ on a very regular basis! Yet I don’t really have a problem with that. I know that this WOE is far easier to maintain than the outdated ‘low fat’ mantra. I remember the days when eating out was a chore. I couldn’t have, mayo or oil, or butter, or cream, or cheese etc. etc. By the time I had worked out exactly what I could eat and passed my wishes onto the waiter the night was almost over. Now I just ask for the potatoes, or whatever, to be replaced with vegetables. Easy peasy! Yes this ‘Third Way’ is also very liberating.

Mariet hope you enjoyed the soup with the addition of spinach which has become my new BF. It’s great in shakshuka, introduced to me by Esnecca, along with lots of other great ideas.

Anyway, hope you all have a good and healthy day.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all, and California Girl can I just add my best wishes to everyone affected, or in danger of being affected by the situation there at the moment. It must be very worrying for everyone.

Yesterday turned out a good day. I finally kept under 800 calories (700 thanks for asking) and a smidge over 30g carbs. to repeat it all again today – one day at a time. Carb cravings are slowly subsiding but my stomach is rumblings incessantly! Luckily I have no more meetings today 🙂 I’ve done a meal plan for the coming week, although my trip to the States starts Thursday so no excuses before then!

Have a good day all
    TC x

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi all, not posted since signing up for this challenge but have been reading posts and sticking to plan.
    Dropped 5lbs so far so pleased with that.

Just thought I’d share – I use an online app to log my daily carbs, fat & protein like a lot of others and the app I use sent a link to a suggested 10 day diet plan and I had a look out of nosiness and was shocked – calories per day were between 1300-1400 and the carb count ranged from the lowest day at 118.1g to the highest over the 10 day plan of 210.6g! I’m happy to stick and continue with this 3rd way of eating thanks very much!

Thoughts with you California Girl, stay safe – doing a rain dance in the office hoping that helps x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I am sure that’s why I have stayed on it so long. What you describe is exactly how I am following this WOL and I totally agree that it is so liberating.

Topcac – so pleased to hear that the carb cravings are subsiding.

Oh2bethin – thanks for sharing this. It’s a shame that some people will follow that plan because the online app has endorsed it.

on

Just popped back to say hi to Californiagirl and send you my good wishes. Hope you stay safe and your family too. xxx

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Californiagirl -Just seen the devastating pictures of Santa Rosa and the Napa County on the BBC news website-totally shocking. My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone affected by this devastating wildfire.

on

Hi All — thought you might like an update on the fire — they are still burning — 4500 homes burned, 90,000 people evacuated and more evacuations announced today. On the “better” news front, they are slowly getting control and have one of the worst fires 45% contained (but there are dozens burning).
    I’m in Las Vegas (another disaster location) today through Wednesday for a conference. At least I will get cleaner air!
    Am planning on using fitness center and eating low carb to survive the hotel experience! Definitely no cocktails — the world seems to be awash in cocktail menus these days! Luckily there are good steak houses there — can get a steak and vegies.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks for the update, Californiagirl. I’m very unhappy with the way
    the MSM is covering this story. The worst fires in 100 years! I
    can only guess that this story doesn’t follow the narrative today,
    no global warming implications, and no gun control. I pray that
    Jerry Brown has put in a FEMA request. The implications in terms
    of the economy, i.e. the dairy industry, the wine industry, and the
    many homeless is going to take a decade to recover from. I’m
    broken- hearted. I hope that being in Las Vegas without the choking
    air quality will give you a bit of a rest. All Americans are thinking of
    you at this time. Much love to you and your neighbors. You’re
    in my prayers.

Allie

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hi folks!

Been awol sorry- was with clients in Paris and wasn’t sleeping so started snorting seeet pastries. Yuk. I don’t even like them but I am a disaster with sugar if tired. Stayed same this week as balanced out with a fast and two good days .

Esnecca thank you for your earlier message. It was 9 kilos in 7 weeks – and you as really right as I want to lose another ten before treatment starts at end of November. They have put me on the pill in the meantime which makes me feel bloated and irrationally angry!

I have another reason to slip – I impulsively bought my wedding dress at a sample sale yesterday. Of course now I am panicking that it is not the right things- it is Grecian ( alice temperely augistina for those who would like a look) and I thought I wanted full on floral. I guess I can sell it maybe if I change my mind but it was expensive!! And it needs a good five – eight pounds off to fit perfectly so….

In other news – our house in Italy going well and in schedule to complete end of year.

Theodora – thinking of your ma and marvelling at your continuing wiggle accumulation!

Topcac I think we are both in the same boat- I am doing a couple of fasts to help me rest and get back into ketosis. I’ve learned again that I can’t have just a little pizza, bread or rice…

Yes peanut butter people- I also find it can be a bit alrmingly modish so I stay away from delicious whole foods one and eat the slightly bleurfh meridien one instead! Going for a kilo off by Tuesday which will take me back to my August 30th Weight of 73.5. AIM to get to 70.5 by end of challenge.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Marie tand mocovex I appreciate the cheering on! Read posts backwards as catch up becaus cant sleep with ‘ potentially wrong dress with no refund-gate’.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi all, hopping on to tell you I am still ‘onwards and downwards’ – 65.3kg now. Had stalled at 66kg, but am skipping breakfast and that seems to do it. (Last 2 days anyhow) Technically not on challenge as not measuring, just keeping to principles but with more veg, as am a bit alarmed by lack of BM – before that was fine but now it’s a bit more of a struggle, shall we say. So upped the greens.

New favourite lunches: hard boiled egg with teaspoon of mayo (Deloius France has no added sugar) and 1/2 teaspoon horseradish, loads of salt and pepper, wrapped in slice of roast beef on bed of dressed spinach. Or no beef but 1/2 avocado. Also, roast beef slice, cream cheese and slices of green pepper, wrapped up. Yum. Am over eating pig in its various forms!

Dinner whatever kids are having, minus carbs, made by me so I can keep carrots/onions etc to reasonable proportions. Or left overs from last reasonable meal if they are having pizza. Oh, and Greek yoghurt topped with cinnamon, that’s nice.

Am eating 2 – 3 bits of dark chocolate a day. Can’t hack the 70% stuff anymore, too sweet, so if I ‘accidentally’ have a piece (‘just to try’) I have one or two pieces of 90% to compensate. But it’s not my absolute amazing treat, so easy to forget – I would like to have some food left I adored, but I don’t think there is anymore. Cream maybe, so I only have it in house once a week or so.

Sounds like everyone doing well so many new folks! Another 1.3kg to go and I will be ‘healthy’ weight, though still see myself as quite large, so will plod on until 60kg, then work out how to maintain. Xxx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi All, hope you’ve had a great weekend.

Back to work for me today and horribly busy which is good in a way because I am trying to incorporate one or two fasts in the week.

I looked at my weight loss spreadsheet yesterday, I hadn’t filled it in for a few weeks so I transferred everything from MFP and realised that though I’ve technically lost weight on all the weigh days for this challenge and the last one, really I have been bouncing over the same 1.5 kg and the weigh day loss has just been serendipity. So, like Verano, I am Back to Basics to try to jump start some consolidated progress.

Onetowatch, I looked at your wedding dress and it’s lovely! I’m in the process of searching for one for my daughter and I wish she would consider something like that! Although she is under 5ft she has her heart set on a princess meringue-type thing 🙁

Whatever you decide I am sure it will work out and you’ll look gorgeous on your wedding day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.