4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi everyone. I’m saying this challenge was a success even though I only lost 3lbs. I have learnt a lot about myself and I now know what I must do. Today I completed an 18 hour fast and intend to do that every day this week and cut out obvious carbs altogether. I know I can’t avoid them completely. I’m definitely up for the Valentine’s day challenge and I intend to have a much better result.

Thanks very much Verano for organising this thread and well done everyone. Good results all round. Good luck to all those who are moving on to maintenance. I hope to see you there one day soon.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I was reading an article this morning in New Scientist about how restricting calories has been shown to increase lifespan in various animals including humans, about nine years for humans! They were saying it can be difficult to stick to and a couple of side effects are feeling the cold and loss of libido. (Oh and only works once you’re an adult, restricting calories in adolescents actually reduces lifespan.) but I had to laugh when they said what you have to restrict calories to — 1500-1800kCal. Ha! They call that restriction?

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

I know we avoid processed food here, but in an emergency when late home from work, cold and hungry, Baxters have new range of tinned vegetarian soups which are 10g carbs per serving in some variants, tasty and a decent standby if you’ve nothing home made in a hurry. Drove home from Meeting late tonight to cold house and had the med veg one with a grating of cheese, pretty filling and done in 5 minutes. Off to bed! MKx

• posted by BfitB470
    on

Still the last day of the 4 week challenge here in the States. Have had some kind of virulent crud since right after New Year’s, so haven’t been eating properly. Have stuck with BSD food, but only eaten 500 or less calories per day. Have lost 7 lbs. during the 4 week challenge, and 2 inches off my waist, and 1 inch off my hips — and pretty pleased with that. Loss should probably be more due to decrease in calories, but with absolutely no exercise, and very low fluid intake, I understand why the loss isn’t greater. Am finally feeling better, so the next bit should be more on track.

Haven’t contributed much to the forum, but have enjoyed reading the posts whenever I can, and I do thank all for recipes, sharing the journey and positive thoughts. I am still trying to turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones, and this forum is helping tremendously.

• posted by LinD49
    on

Bfitb470 well done on weight loss. Glad you are feeling better. I only lost one pound but it was a loss. Trust you will go on next challenge. ( where are you Verano) !

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello everyone. Hoping that Verano is well, and certainly without wishing to take over her mantle, or tread on anyone’s toes, I’ve opened up a new thread which I’d love you all to join. Look for: Our next interactive 4 week challenge ends Tues 21st Feb.

Hope to see you there xx

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning thanks everyone for this challenge – I have ended up three pounds off my previous lightest weight but that means I have lost 5lb over the challenge and my morning blood sugars are coming down but really slowly. So although I don’t think I will get to 152 lb before the end of Jan, which was actually my target, I have still lost substantially despite 11 of the 28 days being on a ship with extensive buffets and dinners. Thanks Verano and well done everyone. Onwards and downwards, people.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Verano – hope you are o.k.. are you starting another challenge?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi KrysiaD, I was asking after Verano yesterday but she is still a no show. Not like her. Verano, where are you……

Technically today is the last day of my challenge as I started on a Wednesday 3 weeks ago and I have now lost just under 5lbs. I have found that if I weigh in the nuddie I am nearly half a kilo less, didn’t know my jammies weighed so much but I will still do the clothed weight as it is too blooming cold to strip.

BG 4.5

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – yes it isn’t like Verano to go missing.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Hey Verano, you ok? Everyone’s missing you. Hope all is well.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hugs and love Verano, wherever you are! Hope all is well. x

• posted by Lara
    on

A bit late checking in for the last of this challenge, I’ve been a bit lax with posting the last couple weeks. I achieved 2 of my goals – down 3.9kgs over the 4 weeks and maintained a 28 day avg of 13k+ steps, with no days less than 10k! The remaining goals of strength training and a target of 80cm waist measurement will carry over to the next challenge.

Still no word from Verano? Hope all is well.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone!

Just managed to get online. What a difference a day makes or I my case just a few hours!

Took ill almost as i l left the hairdressers on Friday. I’m in hospital at the moment have been here since Saturday but hope to be released on Monday, fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your concern. Not sure what internet access I will get here but will catch up when I get home.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Oh Verano, so sorry to hear you are unwell, we’ve all been quite concerned. Glad you are well enough to communicate. I hope you are improving daily and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Get well soon! XXX

• posted by OiMadam
    on

So sorry to hear that you are unwell but good to hear that you are being looked after. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Yes, the same from me Verona, sorry to hear you are unwell. Hoping for a speedy discharge.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Get well soon – must be nice to know you are missed! But probably not worth being hospitalised for… I hope you are on the mend.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Sending love, hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery Verano. x

on

Been just a bit worried Verano (a lot acturally). I said on another thread that my daughter said something about me going missing on FB. I had the computer off for one day and she thought something terrible must have happened. Now we have a running joke, if I don’t answer her skype messages soon so post, going to the police RIGHT NOW. Glad we all have someone who cares.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

You have been missed Verano. Just look after yourself. Best wishes.

• posted by LinD49
    on

Oh dear Verano. Hope you get well soon.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

More hugs, love and best wishes. Get well soon.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Be well soon, Verano, we need you, you’re our Jiminy Cricket! MKx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Best wishes, Verano, for a speedy recovery. And thanks for checking in. Really good to hear from you.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – thank you for checking in – we were all worried about you. Hope you are feeling a lot better very soon.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Love and hugs and I hope you are up and running soon.
    X B

• posted by topcac
    on

Hey Verano – sending you all the best for a speedy recovery xxx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi Verano, as with all above, good to hear from you wishing you well and home soon.

• posted by tigs
    on

Wishing you a speedy recovery Verano xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Just to let you know I’m home again now. They ‘freed’ me a few days early, pressure on beds and all that.

Anyway, this has been a learning curve for me. I have cellulitis behind a knee and it really has been so painful. It’s a bacterial skin infection which would normally be treated at home but because of my temperature of 41 and history of sepsis they took me into hospital. Well after being pumped silly with antibiotics they have sent me home with 10 days of oral medication.

Still, feeling better if a bit fragile, but sad because we had to cancel our trip, but nonetheless I am on the mend.

Well done everyone who finished the challenge and an extra special well done to all those who made their goal.

I won’t be joining a challenge at the moment but wish you all a ‘happy journey’ to your next goal.

Will be around though keepng in touch. Thank you all for your kind words …. much appreciated.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Glad you’re home Verano, even though fragile and thanks for letting us know your situation. Still a lot of taking care and being taken care of by the sound of it, so good wishes to you for a full recovery.

Also good to know you will still be keeping in touch.

All the best, Marilyn

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano

Welcome home and welcome back here. Hope you’re better soon.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano I am so sorry you had to cancel your trip. Hope you feel a lot better very soon. Cellulitis is horrible – my sister had it a few years ago. Am glad you are on the mend.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hope its not long before you feel better Verano. Cellulitis is nasty.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome home, and look after yourself. Hoping you feel better soon.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Verano, so glad you’re back home and hope you feel completely better soon x

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Take care of yourself Verano, glad you are on the mend x

• posted by Lara
    on

Verano, good to hear you are at home and on the mend. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Verano, so glad to see you are home from the hospital. Wishing you a very speedy return to good health. Take care. x

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks again everyone.

Yes cellulitis is nasty, and painful! Interestingly, they are not sure where it comes from but think it’s from a scratch or insect bite that then becomes infected by the bacteria that naturally live on our skin. So if they don’t really know where it comes from, they can’t say how to avoid it in the future!!

Just a couple of points to be aware of. It seems that people with T2 are more prone to this infection and also it appears that fluid retention can be a contributory factor. So two lessons I guess …. keep your diabetes under control, at the very least, and keep mobile! If you cant keep mobile put your legs up if you have swollen ankles etc.

Just one more thing I learnt was that BG can go very low when you’re ill. Mine was down in the 4’s some days which is unheard of for me. I think I may also have had a hypo. I suddenly ‘dropped out’ and came round very light headed, not knowing where I was and sweating profusely. If that was a hypo I don’t want one again!!! I know you’re not suppose to have hypos with metformin but maybe we should all be a little careful when eating LCHF. I suppose it just makes sense to have you medication checked/adjusted by your doctor if your BG is coming down.

Hope you are all well.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

So good to hear you are better Verano! Cellulitis is a nasty customer and it is good you caught it early. I contracted cellulitis from a tick bite about three years ago and ended up on IV antibiotics — it was pretty scary actually, hugely swollen arm and high fever — the doctor thought that perhaps the tick was carrying an unusual bacteria that lives in wild animal populations and was transmitted to me — it has made me even more aware of ticks when I am out gardening. I am glad you are back home — I hope your recuperation is easy. Take care.
    Julia

on

so good to hear from you Verano, take it easy and be good to yourself.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Julia …… no IV antibiotics are no fun especially when thy wake you up at 1am to give you another dose!! Amazing what a bite can do! No idea where mine came from just glad it’s on it’s way out now. Really pleased though to be back in my own bed which I’m sure will help with my recuperation.

Sunshine-girl …. I am taking it as easy as I can!! To be honest the antibiotics I’m on now are knocking me out so not much choice but to take things easy! Funny how, even in hospital, I was aware of BSD eating!! It must be so ingrained now that I was making reasonably good choices when I could. Just pleased to get back to ‘real’ food again. I’m going to try the ‘pork in a mustard sauce’ that you speak of but use chicken instead. Sounds like a nice easy recipe. Need inspiration at the moment. I think I’m in a rut eating the same few meals over and over. May start a new thread!!!!!

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Lovely to read your posts again Verano. Hope you’re well and truly on the mend. I’ve cooked the pork in mustard sauce several times. Really lovely. I find it helpful when other suggest recipes. Sometimes good to be told what to eat!
    Other suggestions will be welcomed!
    Have put on weight after a good weekend so here I go again! But I will get there.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Eileen, I love that recipe too – I chop up an eschalot and cook it in the pan juices then add the cream fraiche and mustard and it’s amazing!

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Thanks Inka13. Will give that a go. Having smoked mackerel and mushroom frittata this evening with lots of green salad. Has anyone tried this? I’ll let you know how it goes. X

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Eileen27 mackerel and mushroom frittata is my favourite meal out of the BSD recipe book. We have it with peppered mackerel fillets. Its really tasty. We have it with either watercress and tomatoes or a mixed salad. Yum yum….Enjoy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Verano another meal we like is the pork in mustard sauce. It will work with chicken. We have it with asparagus and anything else we have in thats green. I sometimes add an onion softened in olive oil.
    Enjoy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.