4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by tigs
    on

Great results all! Daisiesmum hope your back is better soon as I imagine the pain is awful.

My goal in this 4 weeks was to get back on track. I was a week late joining but have managed to do so. A way to go yet but totally rapt with all your progress and how much I learn on the way.

Keep the faith xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

I like normal cauliflower rice but I’ll have to try that roasted one as well, sounds lovely. I do NOT like fennel, you guys are welcome to squabble over it!

I continue to maintain within a kg of my lowest weight, numerous attempts to get serious again since Christmas but I’ve now decided to wait another week. Kids will be back at school, husband back at work, I’ll have a week before my librarian studies start so I’ll be able to establish some kind of routine which I can’t now.

I’m mostly eating Mediterranean but too much of it (actually a perfect amount if I was happy maintaining!), lots of snacking on cheese and nuts. I am eating potato as well, but mostly staying away from the other carby stuff. I had toast one morning and was so hungry the rest of the day! It’s great reading everyone’s updates, we’ll all get there eventually.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning all. Thank you so much for your sympathy regarding my back. It’s definitely much better today, yesterday there were moments of excruciating pain. I will keep moving and doing appropriate stretches, hopefully it will soon be sorted.

I am doing well so far with maintaining my weight, but it’s very early days. It remains to be seen if the adjustment in the dosage of my meds makes a difference weight-wise, but I’m certainly feeling much less lethargic and my BP is still great.

All this talk of fennel has whetted my appetite, I haven’t tried it in ages – move over Jules. Meanwhile I’m loving my celeriac mash – yum!

BTW, there’s a great little half hour tv prog on iPlayer from BBC Wales FAT vs CARBS, nothing new to us but encouraging (and slightly amusing) to see someone introduced to LCHF for the first time and the reactions of people to this way of eating, not to mention the medics surprise at the results!

Happy BSD day everyone.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Ouch, a day yesterday where I kept kind of drifting off plan, tidying up the last of the Christmas food and overdid it a bit, and the scales this morning have been ruthless. Back up to 11 stone 2, just over 3 pounds up on my lowest weight, and almost 2 pounds up on yesterday. I am eating out tonight as well so will have to be extra focused. Not a setback, just part of the learning curve.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

I met Professor Taylor this morning!!! What a lovely, lovely man.
    Was at the launch of a new Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programme for the BBC on obesity in my work guise, waiting to be interviewed, found myself sitting next to him!!!
    I shook his hand and told him his diet had all but reversed my T2D in 12 weeks and he was delighted. We had a chat about how low carb is slowly being accepted by diabetes UK who have changed their website.

Anyhow, in the interest of assisting my forum buddies, I asked what he thought was the most important thing for maintenance long term . HE said that to recognise it’s often a harder battle than the low cal induction, and be ready for that, but also that his research shows that those who get wholehearted support from their families and friends are the ones who do best of all. And exercise, regular exercise as a normal pRt of your daily routine. HE’d cycled the 2 miles from his house.

He said it’s only in the UK that people feel a meal isn’t complete without a pile of carbs – spuds, rice, pasta – on your plate, and if whole families could eat four days out of seven without that – just have an extra vegetable instead – and give up reliance on fruit juice and fizzy drinks, there’d be a revolution for the good.

What a kind man, when he shook my hand and wished me well in the future, I felt like I could move a mountain. Which indeed I need to! The HFW stuff was interesting too, but another time. MK x

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Maharani kitten thats fantastic. I am with him when he says people who get wholehearted support from their families and friends is so true. I would not have been able to change my way of eating without this forum and the fantastic support of my husband and family.
    Notice I have not said its a diet;-)
    I just need to get a grip on the ‘going for a walk” bit. I just had going outside when its wet and windy.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Wow MK! What a wonderful treat. Maintenance advice from the horses mouth, very useful indeed. Excellent!

• posted by Marsie
    on

What a thrill, MK, to meet that most forward thinking man (or do I mean the most lateral thinking?). And how significant that he was willing to answer your Qs on maintenance in such a straightforward manner. Think we should all print out and frame this post.

Re “He said it’s only in the UK that people feel a meal isn’t complete without a pile of carbs – spuds, rice, pasta – on your plate,” goodness, I wish it was only in UK. …. nope, it’s here in Australia too.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Marilyn

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yes Marsie, it think it is the western diet that piles on the carbs. The other countries that use a lot of rice (India, China, Malaysia etc) and facing a diabetic epidemic but they over eat the carbs because of poverty, which is why we used to fill up, in the days when we couldn’t afford meat every day.

MK you must have been thrilled, I quite welled up reading your post, he is real, this eating plan is real and now he knows we are following his teachings (sounds like a religious guru).

Hey Verano, I would look at the other nutrition course but my head is spinning with French, Spanish and The Science of Nutrition. I have found week 2 really fascinating, now I know why biological washing powders work and why I use it to soak burned on grease on casseroles, and it works. One very interesting fact was to do with amylase – no don’t all fall asleep, if you are diabetic this concerns you – amylase is the enzyme produced in saliva which starts to break down carbs, if you chew and chew something like a potato and try to keep it in your mouth it will start to turn into an sugar compound, the longer you keep it in your mouth the less work your digestive system has to do to break it down, making it less harmful. Next fact, amylase is also produced by the pancreas and we as diabetics have fairly knackered pancreases so it is ineffective at breaking down the sugars in CARBOHYDRATES in later stages of digestion. Not only can the pancreas not produce (enough good) insulin it is also struggling with amylase. Why have the medical / scientific community not cottoned on to this and realised it is carbohydrates that are the problem.

By the way, Dr Mosley is a contributor to this course but mainly as the person talking to the scientists and explaining in simpler terms.

on

Post number 2, update on the plan.

I have again lost a bit of weight and I am looking forward to Tuesday for the final result although I have spent most of this week undoing the damage I did last weekend, I still hope to have a good (ish) result. So my pledge is NO ALCOHOL this weekend.

My BG is back to my normal of 5.1 happy days, still keeping the insulin at 23 units (it was 22 before Xmas interfered) but I am happy with that – just under 8 weeks to HbA1c.

Have a good weekend everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by raintoday
    on

pile of potatoes or rice in the US with the dinner meal especially – to say nothing of the fancy-sounding breads for sandwiches …..
    am happy to report that I have made it comfortably into a size12 jeans – not relaxed fit! – I feel good ! have kept the calories around a thousand – some days lower – nuts add up too fast ! However, w/ kitty sadness (she is parked on my lap and has been whenever I sit down – doing the gym is on hold for a couple days) this is a time when I would have indulged in (lots of) ice cream – thought of that as I drove home last evening – but didn’t buy any – BS 120 this AM .
    Exercise today will be the Pink Hat Pussy march in town – meeting up w/ knitting ladies and putting ourselves out there – then back to kitty-cuddling …. the ice cream is a thought, not a craving …. like an old habit …..
    Fennel ? love the stuff – it is sold trimmed to the bulb plus about 5 inches of stalk – not much greenery – I will have to get to a Farmers Market one Saturday and look for wilder-looking stuff so I can try that in my tea – one of my favorites is a licorice-root tea – but fennel in green tea sounds interesting.
    Daisiemum- hope the back is better !
    MK – how great you got to talk w/ him ! the word is spreading via actual users of this diet – because the results and benefits are “in your face” so to speak….. I have talked w/ several people at work who have asked me what I’m doing (even though I’m not much into form-fitting clothes, my loss is more obvious than I realized). I have written out the website and we’ll see how it goes ….
    re: the amylase function – might be interesting to get some tablets and use a dose before a meal w/ half a recommended serving of a carb and see what it does to BS …. pills as an aid not an excuse to eat the big piles of carb as in the past …. having celiac (malabsorption issues) it figures that breaking things down thoroughly would be a goal to increasing nutrient availability …. probably overthinking that ….
    have a great weekend, everyone – onward and downward !!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Wow MK – meeting the Prof 😀

He seems really happy to meet us rebels!😱😀. He even replied to my email recently, and I’d already had a reply from someone on his staff!

on

raintoday, my aim is to get off tablets, not take something totally unnecessarily. To produce amylase just chew every mouthful 20 times.

• posted by Natalie
    on

How exciting MK! Meeting a celebrity – well he is to us!

My twelve-year-old daughter had an assortment of symptoms that didn’t seem related and her doctor couldn’t find reasons for except to say they were just normal variations of the human body. Lots of pimple-like lumps on her upper arms, breathlessness that wasn’t asthma (she’s slender and fit) and joint pains. I found a claim on the internet that the arm bumps can be caused by gluten intolerance and I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try eliminating gluten from her diet. She was very willing to try, and her own internet searches linked her other symptoms to gluten too. So no bread, biscuits, cakes (except specially bought gluten-free) etc, I thought a three week trial.

And after only two weeks, guess what. Arms completely smooth, which they haven’t been for at least two years. No breathlessness, no joint pains…

• posted by raintoday
    on

Hi Natalie – good news on your daughter – that gluten-intolerance /celiac is popping up all over – so glad the info is so readily available – I had the breathlessness after climbing a short rise of steps going into work – disappeared after a couple months of eliminating gluten (had other symptoms that caused me to see an MD which led to labs and diagnosis)
    Sunshinegirl-the way I read your post about amylase was that the pancreas in a diabetic is impaired in production of insulin and amylase – the amylase lack causes starches to be incompletely broken down in mouth and stomach(?) therefore leading to blood sugar spikes. If amylase is supplemented, then starches (and likely other foods) would be more thoroughly broken down, resulting in less /no BS spike.
    To me, digestive enzymes are in the same category as vitamins and an item I use occasionally if I get into some gluten. (gluten-ease). Not an excuse to eat off-plan on a regular basis – but a tool to mitigate the impact when I do. It’s plain to me -both from my experience over the past 6 months and what I’ve read on this site – that I have to remain committed to this WOE (we seriously need a different acronym(?)) in order to stay healthy and reasonably fit – but meals out, buffets, travel, and just plain old temptation intrude from time to time and having this sort of tool at hand makes sense to me.
    Still think it would be an interesting experiment …….
    Celeriac mash ? that’s celery root, right ? may have to give that a go – thanks for the idea !
    Has anyone tried Salsify ? (aka oyster plant – a root veg)
    We’re getting poured on here – think I will stay in and knit and cuddle sick kitty …. stay warm and dry, all !

on

Great news for your daughter, Natalie. I wish I had £1 for every person who ever told me how well they feel when they give up bread/wheat products. When I was seriously low carbing for more than six years, reports on the reduction in joint pain, digestive upsets, skin problems, particularly, were startling. Even if people I’d nothing else, losing gluten made a huge difference. Bread is always one of the hardest things for me to give up, and it’s cruel that we have an award winning artisan bakery 250 yards from where we live, Got to be done, though. Mkx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Enecca
    Thank you so much for the roasted cauliflower recipe. It was a huge success yesterday and not at all watery like my previous effort – husband actually said the cauliflower was better than potatoes. So at last cauliflower has become a part of our diet.

Maharani kitten – what an interesting conversation you had with Professor Taylor. How great that he took the time to answer your questions. He must enjoy getting feedback that this way of eating really works and how nice to hear that he cycled to the event.

Raintoday – how lovely to be in the size 12 jeans. Although we are doing this for our health all the good that we are doing is hidden inside our bodies and as we don’t have our own personal MRI scanners we can’t see all the good we are doing. Smaller clothes are a really good way of measuring how well we are doing and it does feel good to get comfortably into smaller sizes.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Raintoday

Salsify is fabulous. Blanch it in boiling water (no need to add salt) and then fry off in a little butter either on its own or with dill or even (tin hat on!) a few thin slices of fennel. Lovely with all fish, even meatier white fish.

on

I like to add either mustard or horseradish sauce to celeriac to take away the celery taste, I like it a bit but it can be overpowering.

Weight is the same today and BG up slightly to 6.4, no particular reason just one of those things. Still alcohol free and Sunday is easier for me, it is when I have opened a bottle of wine on Saturday and feel the need to finish it off on Sunday. Looking forward to Tuesdays weigh in.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hello all! I hope everyone is doing well. I’m enjoying my first week of maintenance, but it’s a very strange feeling to not be so calorie restricted. I feel very uncertain about how much is too much vs how little is too little! Trial and error I suppose (hopefully not too much error!)

As we near the end of this four week challenge, I’m thinking of starting a new thread on the BSD Way of Life forum for new maintainers and those almost there. Haven’t thought of a title yet, but I plan to keep it to four weeks. It’ll start on Tuesday 24th.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

KrysiaD, that’s wonderful news about the roasted caulirice. When your husband says it’s better than potatoes, then you know it’s a major achievement. 🙂

• posted by LinD49
    on

Lots of very interesting posts here. HFW prog should be interesting. At last I seem to have broken my Three week stall and lost one pound this morning. Only another two days, looking forward to the next four week challenge. Onward and downward.

on

HFW was working in Newcastle to find volunteers to .help the city lose 100,000 lbs in a year. Prof Taylor was at the launch being iNterviewed in his academic and OU capacity on obesity rather than for his low carb low cal work specifically. Not many signing up on the day, I must say, and more than one tubby Geordie going past and muttering about ‘bloody southerners coming up here and telling us we’re fat’.

Interesting social experiment though, it’s for a BBC/OU programme later in the year. They’re trying to get people to ‘own’ their weight and not be shy talking about it under the slogan ‘weigh aye, man’. Then lose it, obvs. MKx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Esnecca
    You are right – it is a major achievement. I never thought he would have thought anything was better than potatoes.

Daisiesmum
    You are right that maintenance is trial and error but it is lovely to be able to eat more calories. My extra calories tend to be cheese, nuts, cream and seeds. Have also found that I still have to be vigilant weighing and enter everything on fat secret because I am absolutely rubbish at guessing weight of food or even remembering what I have eaten. By doing this it actually makes the maintenance effortless and much less stressful because my weight stays absolutely stable.

• posted by topcac
    on

Holy cra*. Why did the bride and groom yesterday think that I could be trusted with an entire dinner table strewn with chocolate covered coffee beans??? there was literally no escape, short of gathering them all up and chucking the lot in the bin – but there were 9 other guests on the table – not ideal!!! There were hundreds of the little blighters….so that was my undoing – I ate my body weight in them – obviously that’s two stone less than it would have been 6 months ago but still 🙂

So another Monday another start – still no idea what caused the weight gain last week but after yesterday’s fiasco not much hope of pulling that back any time soon – didn’t even weigh in this morning! So, on a fast today (well, have some yoghurt and berries and will only have that today at some point) – reset my body. Looks like my ‘4 week fix’ isn’t going to be anything of the sort….

MK – the Prof is right – maintenance is a harder journey….we have to prepare…. 🙂

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Oh topcac, chocolate covered coffee beans!!! I too love(d) them, along with carob covered raisins… I feel your pain… no chance they were 90% cocoa I suppose?

My back is gradually improving, still not clicked back yet, but it’s loosening up nicely with only minimal twinges. This morning I was able to do my rebounding with as much gusto as my current fitness level will allow.

The last day of our 4-week Fix, I hope everyone is at least a bit closer to moving in the right direction than we were four weeks ago. I don’t know about everyone else, but short term goals do help me to stay focused (assuming I can get focused to start with).

Happy BSD Monday all.

• posted by topcac
    on

Ah Daisiesmum – I wish they had been 90% – they were dark chocolate though (maybe 70%) so if I was feeling mega generous I could probably argue they were better than they could have been but…..nope…I still ate a small mountain….no excuses lol

Glad the back is on the mend – off for a long walk at lunchtime – you have spurred me on 🙂

on

Been very good over the weekend but managed to gain 1/4 lb but it will go. BG is back down to 5.2 so it is swings and roundabouts …. Might try to fit in some exercise this afternoon as my normal routine is a bit messed so my normal morning exercise has been pushed out by shopping today, chiropodist tomorrow morning and French class tomorrow afternoon. Will still get a swim on Wednesday so keeping on track.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

I’ve been very lax in posting anything. Not very good at this! But thanks to Verano and Daisiesmum and the other regular contributors for all your posts, They have all been very inspiring and have helped me along the way. I have lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks, not half as good as others, but as I have been on a diet for years and years I guess it’s not surprising. My downfalls are the weekends. My mind is set on having a glass of wine on Fridays, and Saturdays and Sundays!! Then my husband brings me 2 chocolates left over from Christmas so it’s no wonder it’s no more than 7 lbs off. I must train my mind to forget its the weekend and carry on without the wine and chocolate- and upping the exercise should help.However I really believe in this diet and I will keep going . I love the books and recipes and take them with me wherever! Thanks to everyone.

• posted by tigs
    on

Hello all. Tuesday morning and managed 3 weeks of the 4, losing 3.7kg. Took a bit to get back into the swing of things but on my way now. Happy to now have hit ‘normal’ with BMI so starting to transition for the last few kilos with 16:8 approach, keeping with BSD 800. Hoping that will set me up for more successful maintenance eventually – fasting and lower carbing one day. xx

• posted by tigs
    on

Hey Verano, hope all is well. You sound like you have made some positive progress and congrats ‘breaking through’. Have a great day. xx

• posted by Marsie
    on

So Tues morning 24th January. Swings & roundabouts over this 4 weeks. I’m 1.2kg less than 27th December but 2 weeks ago I was 2kgs less than the start date. Managed to go below 62kg for a couple of days but haven’t managed to stay there, or go further to reach normal BMI.

Well, the only thing to do now is to take the positives. I’m lower weight than I was 4wks ago. I’ve been quite unwell, rotten chest infection since Boxing Day, but this week feel as though I’m about 90% right. Hoping GP this afternoon will agree that a 4th course of antibiotics is not necessary.

Well done to everyone who worked through this challenge, and thank you for all the encouragement and inspiration flowing through these posts. xx

on

Hi. 7 lbs lost despite battling horrible virus till last week, that’s 43lbs since 10th October.. BMI now well on the way to normal and I am glad glad glad to be no longer obese.
    Blood sugar control is my key objective and due to illness, I think, that’s been all over the place all month. My first near-hypo requiring fruit juice and a sandwich to sort,(weird feeling) as blood sugar went sub-3 with no reason, some inexplicable much higher fasting readings than I’m now used to. One day I woke to 10.8 – no reason for it that I could see.
    Had planned a better exercise regime but illness and horrible weather have curtailed brisk morning walks (cold, damp air aggravates chest) and rowing – no energy.
    So all in all am pleased with the loss, a bit disappointed with how I got here, it all seemed a bit out of control. Worried these higher bloods will mess with my blood tests and maybe persuade GP that meds should be upped again.
    Next 4 weeks will be all about carb control. I have 16lbs to lose so I’ll also be looking at exercising properly and planning a slow glide in to target and a maintenance plan I can live with long-term. MKx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

6lbs lost of the January Blues excess, so almost back to pre Christmas weight!!. On track once more, feeling good. Even went to a zumba class last night! Great to hear everyones news and thanks to you all for the fantastic support and encouragement that is ‘keeping us all keeping on’. Onward and downwards girlies! Have a great day!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

So my final weigh in of this challenge, and the attack of the carb monster over the weekend has almost undone all my previous good work. Of course that is only the scales talking (11 stone 3.2 today, so four pounds up on last Tuesday) but yesterday’s fast day at least saw 2.8 pounds drop back off after my excesses. Clothes still fit the same as they did, so I can be quite confident that very little of the added poundage is fat, and will just get straight back to trying to find a happy medium calories target that will allow me to lose the final pounds slowly over the next couple of months.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Marsie – hope you continue to get better – the chest infection sounds horrible.

Eileen 7lbs in 3 weeks is brilliant. I agree that exercise combined with the BSD is an unbeatable combination for weight loss.

Goal this week to lose the quarter pound I gained last week but over shot and lost 2lbs instead. So now 9 stone 4.75lbs. BMI 21. Not quite sure how because I didn’t cut calories that much.

So it looks as though, as long as I keep off the bad carbs and tackle any small gains immediately, maintenance isn’t going to be as hard as I thought. I do feel a bit sad that I never realised before that going back to my so called ‘normal’ diet after losing weight was a recipe for disaster. Especially when my first diet was in the late 1960s.

But I suppose ‘better late than never’ is the best way to look at it as never finding this way of eating would have been the true nightmare.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning all. I can hardly believe this 4 week challenge is over. Thank you VERANO for setting this up.

My goals for this time were: to reach my ultimate weight goal; to have my bp meds reduced; to get into a better exercise routine. Despite having a very rocky start and it taking about 10 days to get focused (during which time I gained a few lbs) I am happy to report mission accomplished!

Having a Dr’s apt 3weeks into the challenge really helped me to focus. I am still not satisfied with my level of exercise and I hope to eventually come off my bp meds completely, so that is now my goal. I have blood tests and a follow-up Dr’s apt in a few weeks. Hopefully my sore back won’t hinder my exercise plans too much!

Maintenance is new territory for me and I’m feeling my way carefully. I notice several of us are there or nearly there. Later today I’m going to open a thread in BSD Way of Life called “New Maintainer Seeks Similar for Mutual Support and Help” . Let’s see if anyone bites!

This one has been a bumpy ole ride and it has been a pleasure sharing it with you all. The ups, downs, joys, sorrows and frustrations are all better when shared with like minds.

Here’s wishing everyone well as we continue to learn a new way of life.

• posted by LinD49
    on

Well done everyone. Having stuck with bsd800 I stalled most of January but lost one pound in the last two days. I have three stones to go.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all – just back from the gym (check me out!).

After my coffee bean fiasco on Sunday, I did a 20 hour fast yesterday and I wasn’t hopeful on the scales this morning but blow me down if I haven’t lost 3.25lbs since Saturday!!! I’ve have totally given up trying to figure out my body – I’m leaving it to it’s own devices.

So, challenge wise I’ve dropped 3.75lbs in the last four weeks (but in that time I cumulatively gained 4.75 and lost 8.5) and now weigh a pound less than I did on Christmas Eve – I call that a victory! WOO HOO!!!

As for me, I really need to try and get a grip on maintenance now – my BMI is currently 21.2 and I really need to adjust to this new weight – but not go any lower (already looking ‘slightly haggard’ – thanks mum!). I’ll join you Daisiesmum on your maintenance thread but love this 4 week challenge thread and would love to continue to contribute what I can – dare I suggest a challenge entitled – ‘Over the Valentine’s Day hump’

Have a great day all xx 🙂

on

Hi everyone, how are we all at the end of this challenge. I gained 4.5 lbs over X and NY and today I can report I have lost taaaadaaaa 4.5 lbs in 3 weeks. So I am back to my pre-holiday weight of 11st 6 and 3/4 lbs. That is also back to 10% of my starting body weight. This morning BG was 4.7, super happy.

Now it is time to set some new goals and, hopefully, Verano will be giving us a new thread to keep up on track. Hope everyone else is doing well.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Valentines Day!!!??? Damn, I forgot that was coming up.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Verano – thank you for setting this 4 week fix up for us. Well done everyone!
    Despite a tumultuous last four weeks (eating-wise), I have managed to lose 7lbs (my X and NY gain). Without this challenge I am sure I would have put on another 7-14lbs in January so I am delighted to have returned to my pre-festive weight.
    Will be keeping ‘keeping on’.

• posted by Bissell
    on

I was feeling disappointed with myself, until I checked back at the figures. One pound lighter than 27/12/16, one pound heavier than 24/12/16. What’s the matter with me? Why do I beat myself up so easily? I’m supposed to be maintaining my weight and that’s what I’ve done.
    I think the problem is that I’m so terrified of putting the weight back on, as I always have done in the past. So I’m super elated if I record a loss and super depressed if I have a gain. Even if it’s only ounces either way. I must try and find a way to lighten up a bit (sorry for the pun) and cut myself some slack.
    Rant over. Calm, happy Bissell. Grip firmly got.
    Well done everyone who has hung in there, whether you have lost, stayed the same or gained.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Four-week loss of 7lb down to 18st 1lb. Now facing the habitual slow-down as I reach a Stone boundary. I really need to up the exercise piece of the master plan but work keeps getting in the way.

15lbs in the last eight weeks is not too bad, given that it included Christmas. Now onto the fourth 8-week stint. Need to set some short term goals.

Keeping on keeping on.

• posted by hazelnut
    on

Hello Bissell – I feel your pain. The thought of regaining this weight and failing again is always in the back of our mind. The BSD diet gives us the tools to have some control and we have shown that it is possible to loose weight, be healthy and eat well. The number of maintainers is growing. BUT the next stage is really tricky for those who have had a lifetime of dieting. When the scales are going down, we feel good but the minute we gain if only a smidgen, this can trigger those feelings of doubt- doubt is like your carb monster, it run riot through your brain. So what we need is help from people who are maintaining now to get us through. Hx

• posted by hazelnut
    on

Would love to join your new thread. I am stood with my size 12 jeans, on clutching the BSD book, thinking what now. How will I maintain this – I have never managed maintenance in the last 40 years. It would be good to have you stood beside me. Hx

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi all, I have started a new thread for those nearing or just starting maintenance. It’s on BSD Way of Life and called New Maintainer Seeks Similar For Mutual Support and Help! Please feel free to join us.

Longer term successful maintainers are more than welcome too, we’d welcome your insights and knowledge.

Happy BSDing everyone.

on

Verano, where are you, how are you doing. Are you starting a new thread, I am not yet ready for daisiesmums thread as I am a long way from reaching my ideal weight but ready for another challenge.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Yikes! I am back from holiday and have gained 6.5 lbs !!
    The hotel food was very BSD friendly, and apart from two very small desserts, I ate low carb though with more calories.
    I can only presume that it was the fluid intake – coffee just had to have extra milk as it was not very nice, however the wine and cocktails were very good!
    I am hoping that a strict few days will get me back on track.
    PLEASE Verano, help us with another challenge.
    X B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Busybee – sounds like you had a lovely time on Hols. Think it might have been the wine and cocktails that added the pounds. Alcohol certainly does that to me these days. The good news is, that if you get back to the BSD proper, you will soon be seeing great results again.
    Hope it goes well – good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.