20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mariet
    on

KV, thanks for that 😒 I’ve been stuck on the same weight since
    Tuesday and thought it might be transit issues! I’ll try some today.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi janeandmoses
    You shouldn’t be having any added sugar at all. If the ingredients label has sugar, don’t buy it. As far as natural sugars are concerned, like in full fat yoghurt (lactose) or in veges and fruit, I just looked through my history and I averaged around 20g per day. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower, just depending on how much beetroot (freshly baked, not tinned), tomatoes and yoghurt I ate.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

That’s really helpful I haven’t added any sugar but was a little alarmed when I saw totals but actually it’s been ok. Thanks I’ll aim to keep to 20 and under. More shopping this weekend now I know what I’m aiming for thank you

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

My sugars seem yo range anywhere between 20-45g depending on if I have soup- butternut squash and red pepper soup is both high in carbs and sugar but lower in calories and I find it filling

• posted by pettip
    on

Thanks kv87170. I’ve been trying linseeds, but they don’t seem to work. I’m off to pharmacy tomorrow then!

Today my calories were up to 950, and I seem to be putting weight on!!! I’m looking back at week 1 to try and eat the same foods so that i can get back on track.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well all I’ve been out for dinner and after all your wonderful advise I chose steak and salad, drank Diet Coke and only ate what I thought was about 100g ! I enjoyed it! Came in just under the 800!!! I didn’t feel that I was missing out I really enjoyed it and enjoyed feeling in control!!!!
    Hope you are all doing ok x x

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hi chelle I’m still here! I managed two whole days this week so feeling quite pleased with myself – even my off days have been quite good. Still joining people on the naughty step tonight though with a bit of planned off plan and going to make the weekend a bsd friendly one I hope!

• posted by Mariet
    on

I hope everyone’s having a good weekend.
    I’ve got a challenge this afternoon, a cream tea that was organised before BSD. I tried to pull out of it but the friend who organised it got very upset so I feel obliged to go. I don’t think there’ll be any options I can choose so I guess I’ll be guzzling cups of tea while everyone else is scoffing cakes, scones and sandwiches! Wish me luck.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi mariet. Thats a tricky one. Be strong. You can do it that is…not do it. Think of the success you have had so far and think yuk to all those foods. They are yukky for your body afterall!

• posted by pettip
    on

Yes Mariet, best of luck. Perhaps your taste buds have changed over the last 5 weeks and the white stuff isn’t tolerable. Hope you have a positive afternoon.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I feel like I’ve had a win 🙂

I did have a glass of champagne but that was planned. I avoided all the cakes and scones and ate deconstructed sandwiches- I took the chicken and ham from a couple and ate those with a delicious avocado mayonnaise and drank three cups of tea. Luckily my friends didn’t press me to eat the other things and though I took a scrumptious looking petit four, meaning to only eat the (sugar dusted) strawberry from the top- when I looked at it I really didn’t want it and thought of the last five weeks of effort- and left it on my plate 🙂

I really think my friends were too interested in what they were enjoying themselves to worry about what anyone else was or wasn’t eating and that’s a good lesson for me because I was very anxious about it beforehand, that they would fuss and so on. I’m very glad it didn’t happen.

Two days to my week 5 weigh in and I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be good, which is making me very happy.

*tingling with a sense of achievement*

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- had a very up and down week and feeling it too- Monday was bad as had pizza for t- Tuesday through to Friday were cook and I even didn’t have dinner Friday- mainly because I had an awful day at work and had a melt down so went to bed at 8.30 and then yesterday was bad- met a photographer- had coffee and 2 cookies- went to a farm shop for lunch and had pate and wholemeal toast! Had t been shopping so literally nothing in so ate a few thin crackers- back on it today with fruit and yoghurt and then saving myself for steak and sweet potato chips and salad for dinner- can’t wait!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Mariet well done!!!!
    Can’t believe we are going into week 6 tomorrow!!! Good luck with weigh in all x x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Chelle, don’t beat yourself up. Even if us not good on your weight, in this is one week out of a lifetime of a new way of living. There are bound to be wobbles and looking through the forum they’ve happened to most. Be kind, dust yourself off, put it behind you and back on the wagon! You know you can do it. Have you got this week’s meals planned? I hope you’re feeling better today.

• posted by Jack
    on

Happy week five weigh in everyone (hopefully). Just got on the scales and have lost my first stone. So pleased. Feeling really motivated again. Good luck everyone.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Thanks mariet- yes I usually dust myself off- seem to have wobbles more than others- or maybe I just admit mine lol! I sort of plan meals but not as far as Monday this Tuesday that- I buy enough food in for the week and have meals in mind and then it’s a case of decide what I want when I get home 🙂 breakfast is always fruit and yoghurt and lunch is usually 3 days soup and 2 salad in the week. Weekends are always my downfall!

Well done on the stone jack 🙂

Happy week 6 all xx

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

WooHoo Jack! That’s brilliant. Unfortunately for me no downward movement on the scales – but no upward either – so I’ll take that 🙂 I really thought the scales would be my enemy today Didn’t plan most of the week and ate/drank things that I shouldn’t and no excercise so what could I expect. Back on track did all the prepping last night so hopefully this week will be an improvement. Onwards and downwards – roll on weeks 6!

• posted by Mariet
    on

You’re the same as I an Chelle. I do a cook up on the weekend whenever I can fit it in then choose dinner from the freezer each day with fresh veges. Soup at work for lunch.

Weekends are hard! And it starts Friday night with a boozy set of friends☺
    Last week though instead of ricotta pastries etc my friend made a carb free zucchini bake so I wouldn’t be tempted which was so kind of her.
    Myweigh in tomorrow morning, fingers crossed because there were a few sparkling wines on the weekend…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Thanks Linda, it is good to be able see some evidence for what we all believe to be true. I have bookmarked it so I can use it in the future to show the doubters.

• posted by pettip
    on

Hello. Have weighed and have shed 3lb! Really pleased after the 2 day wobble I had midweek.

I’ve decided to stick with linseed to help my bowels out as they seem to be working now and I have most of the packet left. (Sorry if that’s tmi)

Just had a weekend of a family get together and Mother’s day so I was a bit nervous about how I’d cope, but as it was at my house I made sure to cook BSD friendly as well a ton of treats. My mum, dad and sister are diabetic so that helped. In the end I was so busy being hostess that I ate the right things (and a couple of my mum’s famous fried fishcakes, that made me feel sick! – one day I’ll learn to stick with bsd friendly food.) My children made me a chocolate bag each at clubs and so I kept the cards and let them eat the chocolate. Also, my OH thought to ask if and what kind of treats I could have, so I was treated to dark chocolate thins too (14 calories each.) We had 2 each yesterday and I’ve asked dd2 to hide them from me and give me 2 each day. She’s a ☆ Everyone’s happy.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Hey well done everyone!
    I’ve lost 3lbs this week that’s a total of 1 stone 10lbs!!! I’m so thrilled. I’m thinking about staying on the 800 as I still have 2 more stone to shift! What do you guys think? Is it ok to carry on for longer???

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

For me this is a forever choice so I am aiming for 800-1000cals a day 800 in the week and up to 1000 at the weekends to give me a little bit of flexibility- I figure that as long as we are
    Sensible then it is fine- just need to lose more first and then maintain!

• posted by pettip
    on

Hellyshear congrats on your 3lb this week. is that 8 weeks done? Not sure if you have the book, but if it isn’t, then you could continue until you’ve done 8 weeks. The advice in the book is to do Fast 800 for up to 8 weeks, and if you’ve still weight to lose, do BSD 5:2 where you stay eating the bsd friendly foods but only calorie count (800 calories) for 2 days a week.

• posted by kv87170
    on

Fantastic results by those who have posted! It’s that time of the month for me and I’ve put on a pound!!! Does anyone else have this problem? I feel so bloated too so was thinking if waiting a couple of days then posting results. So close to the first stone gone! I was on the naughty step yesterday too as it was Mother’s Day!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Chelle that’s a great idea! I’ll do the same too! If still like to keep going with this group too! Everyone is brilliant. I’ve got a holiday in August and I dream of being 11stone! I’m 5ft8 so I just can’t imagine what I’d look like!!!
    Fingers crossed we can do it!!!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes I have a holiday in July but more importantly my weddin 26/6/18- it’s a long way off but I want to look my best so starting early!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

So oh is working late so making myself egg muffins with onion tomatoe and a little bit of Stilton with rocket- yummy and fills me up too 🙂

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Time of the month always causes me at least a couple of pounds in water retention. On the plus side there is usually a very satisfying drop afterwards.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If you want to continue after the 8 weeks as you have more to lose you can. Many posters on here have done so, although others prefer multiple 8 week stints with a week break. I saved the 8 weeks for my last push to target, and worked up to it slowly via 5:2, 4:3, then 2:5 with a still controlled 1600 calories on my off days. I did 4 weeks on the latter. I think Captainlynne was on 800 calories for over a year and is now maintaining on more calories.

• posted by pettip
    on

I always put on a couple of pounds of bloat during time of month and always lose it by the time it’s up if i behave myself.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Congratulations to everyone who lost weight, well done.
    My official 5 week weigh day today ams only 300 foehn. I know it’s a loss and I should be pleased but it’s a300g gain
    Sfrom yesterday 😐. Should make Monday my weigh day.
    I noticed my step count was a lot lower though so will work on that- and get some milk of magnesia because I am still havng problems!
    I have a three week cruise in June/July and then my son’s wedding in September so I will be continuing until then, 10kg to my healthy upper limit.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Hellyshear
    A lot of us stayed on the Fast800 until we reached our goal weight. I was around 25 weeks and CaptainLynne was close to one year after getting the go ahead from MM. When you reach your goal weight, still keep the carbs low and your protein moderate and just increase your fats until the weight stabilises.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Thanks Linda
    That is really helpful. How much weight have you lost and how are you finding the maintenance?
    I just feel so good without the carbs and for the first time feel in control of food.
    I just feel so positive and I want it to continue 😃

• posted by LindaA
    on

I’ve lost around 30kg and am finding maintenance easy. I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m full. I often skip breakfast and will fast from dinner the night before until lunch or even dinner and I don’t lose energy or feel tired as my body now burns fat, not sugar for energy.

The most important thing is to keep up your water intake, have some salt if you think you might be hungry before having food (that often helps me) and keep your protein level to approximately 1 – 1.5g per kg of ideal body weight as excess protein will convert to glucose if not required. I’m 5’6″ and aim for around 60 – 75g per day maximum.

Check out this website for some great information and recipe ideas.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Thanks Linda
    That is so inspiring! I’m so glad to hear it too that you still feel great. Your weight loss is amazing and is just what I want to achieve and in 25 weeks! That’s given me so much hope.
    Thanks for the link it all helps
    Kind regards Helly

• posted by Mariet
    on

I was feeling down yesterday about my slow week last week and in the end gave myself a shake and a good talking to and decided to write down the results of my first 5 weeks living this way. I thought I’d post them here to look back on when I feel disappointed with progress again (as I know I will!).

It’s really opened my eyes about what I’ve achieved

I’ve lost 7 kg, 9.5% of my start weight

In total I’ve lost 11 inches from various places

My Rosacea has cleared up completely and stopped medication after being on low dose antibiotics and creams for 5 years

I am sleeping all night after 30 years of waking 4 or 5 times each night

I’ve tried heaps of recipes I never would have thought of and love the food

I’m able to feel the sensation of hunger without needing to eat

I’m very well hydrated!

Only 5 articles of clothing in my wardrobe are still too small

I ‘ve gone from BMI 31.8 to 28.7

I’ve dropped 2 sizes in my work uniform and am now wearing the one I bought 5 years ago as an encouragement to lose weight (didn’t work…)

My mother has joined me and has lost 4kg in 4 weeks, a great feat at 83years old! Hopefully at her next test she won’t be pre-diabetic any more.

Others wlli have different ones but these are mine☺

Sorry for the long post. I’m feeling encouraged again and ready to keep on keeping on

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

You have achieved so much in such a short time – every single one of that list is brilliant and something to celebrate – I think sometimes we are conditioned to only focus on the end goal and miss all the milestones on the way. What a great attitude and its a good way to remind ourselves just how far we have come. Thanks for this post – I am reminded of how far I’ve come also despite the stall this week.

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

And how wonderful it is that you are able to help your mom along the way 🙂 There is no greater reward than that!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks Luckylinda, feeling good! I’d love to see your list if you feel like sharing. Nice to focus on the good things that have come our way 🙂

• posted by Keid
    on

Hello all, just checking in. No loss but no gain here, Keep on keeping on folks! 😀

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- up and down and hormones raging- last night I ate half a 100g bar of dairy milk- 🙁

Was good with dinner- chicken and veg and today fruit and yoghurt and then chicken salad for lunch, – was naughty and ate a small bag of crisps- but even with this I am still going to be under carbs and cals! – fish and veg for dinner!

I really need to be good for a whole week- when I am I really notice a difference- stress is a terrible thing 🙁

• posted by pettip
    on

I was doing so well, but my routine changed and I had to collect my boys from after school club (usually OH does that) and they came out eating Wholemeal toast. I’ve been constantly hungry today (food shopping day) and I tried to be good, eating almonds and then an apple, to stave off the hunger, but I couldn’t get the toast off my mind and i caved and had 2 slices bread and a sliver of butter! I know it will have spiked my blood sugar, but 2 hours later and I’m belly growling hungry again! Normally I would manage to resist, but I was weak. Not sure whether to still eat my dinner (slow cooked pork belly, chorizo and chickpea casserole, yum) or just call it a day and eat it tomorrow when the family are having macaroni cheese…

• posted by pettip
    on

I had a small taste and am saving the rest for tomorrow. I have already prepared lunch and dinner for tomorrow. Routine is back to normal. No excuses for going off plan. I hope…

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi pettip
    Probably too late now, but eat your dinner and just get back to your routine as soon as possible.
    If this happens again and you’re feeling really hungry, try and have some fat instead of carbs. The apple has raised your blood sugar, insulin is released to immediately cope with the extra glucose and then prevented you from using your body fat for energy.
    After a while when it has dropped, your brain signals that it needs more food for energy and because it has just been processing glucose, your stomach releases another hormone called ghrelin so you eat again. Hence the hunger and the toast!
    The nuts were fine, but try and avoid high carb foods like apples and toast and eat a small piece of cheese or half an avocado when you’re hungry.

When I tend to feel hungry like this, I have some water first to see if I’m just thirsty and not hungry, then some salt if that doesn’t work and if that isn’t the problem, I’ll have some bone broth (you could also try some miso soup or similar). If I’m still hungry, I’ll go for the cheese or avocado.

It’s likely that it was the apple that set you off in the first place, so keep those to an absolute minimum and have something fatty instead.
    It really works. Good luck😀
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by pettip
    on

Thanks Linda,

I’ve pasted the body of your message to my memo so it’s on hand for next time.

I had a much better day today. Albeit I had a spoonful of my homemade mac n cheese. It’s been a tricky 7 weeks and my body hasn’t gotten used to 800 calories. I’ve had 3 blips over the almost 7 weeks I have been doing Fast 800. That’s good for me.

Feeling positive. I love the eating plan and have really liked trying new tasty recipes etc just need more of it! Shed 1 stone 12 so far. Hoping to shed at least another 2lb over the next 10 days.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Hi I have used your really helpful formula and entered what I think are the right amounts. I weigh 74kg and want to get back down to my weight of 58kg so my numbers are similar to the ones quoted. When I put the numbers in mfp I had to round some up as it didn’t add up to 100%. Would you be kind enough to look at my numbers and advise if they look right please. Carbs:45g. Protein:79g and fat 45g
    That is carbs are 20%. protein 35% and fat 45% daily intake. Should the fat be that high? Thank you for looking I’m so confused and I really want to do it properly

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi janeandmoses
    If your carbs are 45g, that totals 180 cals (45g x 4 cals/gram). Keep your protein to around 60g which totals 240 cals (60g x 4 cals/gram). Your total cals so far are 180 + 240 = 420. Subtract that from 800 and you get 380 cals for fat. Divide 380 by 9 cals/gram and you get approx 42 grams.

So carbs = 45g
    Protein = 60g
    Fat = 42g

This is a rough guide, so if you go over on carbs one day then pull back on the protein and visa versa. Eat all your fat as you need it to stay satiated.

There are no such things as essential carbs, only essential fats and proteins so if you find you aren’t losing weight, preferably pull back on the carbs not the protein or fat. There is no such thing as too few carbs. I wouldn’t go any lower on the protein.

Remember also to keep up your salt and water.
    Any questions, just ask.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Thank you LindaA I can’t tell you how helpful this is I am going to programme mfp this minute. Thank you I’ll be in touch to let you know how I’m getting on. Are you maintaining now.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Yes, I’ve been maintaining since September last year. I tend to float between 56 – 60kg depending on water retention and toilet visits etc. it doesn’t worry me as I just do a 24 hour fast if I want to drop weight quickly. My non negotiable is no sugar and only carbs in veges/ berries and I try and limit those to 20g per day now.
    I also used to be a bigger drinker, but I just don’t feel like it anymore so hubby gets a designated driver when we go out!
    He has also lost 8kg just from eating what I cook (if he wants carbs, he has to get them himself!) and although my 86 year old Mum wasn’t overweight, she had lost those last 5kg that she couldn’t lose, so she is thrilled!😀
    I love this way of eating!
    Cheers
    Linda

Please log in or register to post a reply.