20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Here are two that are on my “to do list”….both sound so good and so easy. Both based on cauliflower, so filling but low carb.

Hope one of them works for you.

CAULIFLOWER & ROASTED RED PEPPER SOUP

An out-of-this-world delicious cauliflower roasted red pepper soup recipe! This will be your new favorite soup – it’s ours!

The longest part of making this soup is allowing the red peppers and cauliflower to char a bit under your broiler.

Serves: 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS

4 medium-sized red bell peppers
    1 head of cauliflower, diced into florets
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 medium-sized onion, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    4 cups chicken stock
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    salt and pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Cut the red bell peppers in half, scoop out the seeds and lay face-down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Broil in the oven on high until the skin has become black. Remove from the oven and place into a sealed container and allow the peppers to cool down and steam. This step makes it easier to remove the skin from the pepper.
    Broil the cauliflower florets in the oven on high until they are tender and crisp, making sure to turn them over halfway. Takes about 20-25 minutes.
    While the cauliflower is roasting, place the oil in a large pot, add in the diced onion and garlic cloves. Saute over medium-to-low-heat until the onions are tender and caramelized.
    Add the chicken stock, thyme, and smoked paprika into the pot and mix everything together. Allow the mixture to simmer on medium-heat.
    Remove the skins from the peppers, dice the peppers and add them into the pot; mix together. Do the same with the cauliflower. Allow the soup to simmer on medium-heat for 20 minutes.
    Add the soup into a blender 2 cups at a time and blend until the mixture is creamy and pureed. Do the same with the rest of the soup. Add the pureed soup into the same pot, add salt and pepper to taste; allow it to simmer on low-heat until ready to serve;

CREAMY CAULIFLOWER & HAM SOUP
    Serves: 10 servings

INGREDIENTS
    • 6 cups cauliflower florets (frozen is fine – abut 24 oz)
    • 6 cups ham stock or chicken broth
    • 2 cups water
    • ½ tsp garlic powder
    • ½ tsp onion powder
    • 3 cups chopped ham
    • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
    • 2 Tbsp butter (or ghee, bacon fat, or coconut oil)
    • kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
    1 Combine the cauliflower, stock, water, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Blend in the pot with an immersion blender (or remove to a large blender and blend in batches then return to the pan) until smooth. Stir in the ham, and thyme leaves and simmer another 10 minutes. Add the butter and apple cider vinegar. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
    2 Serve hot.

NOTES
    Approx nutrition info per 1.5 cups: 125 calories, 7g fat, 5g net carbs, 13g

• posted by marie123
    on

Chelle1981 – I have made the Pea Soup (Verano’s recipe) a number of times. It’s delicious using both the original recipe and with the added spinach which is the way I have it most. If you type Pea Soup in the search box at the top of the page the top post has the recipe. It serves 6, approx. has 94cals and 7.7g carbs per serving (this includes 100g spinach).

The other recipe I’ve used from here is the Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar soup which was posted by Maefly. (Again just type into the search box and the recipe will come up). This is also delicious but careful with the mustard.

Luvtcook – I make soup a lot in the winter months so I’m definitely going to try the two you’ve suggested above. Thanks

Marie123

Luvtcook – forgot to ask would the two soups be OK to freeze?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi I make a cauliflower and red pepper soup and it really is delicious. I use the same recipe as yours but I don’t broil/grill the cauliflower first and it still works a treat but with less work! Oh and I use vegetable stock!

• posted by Verano
    on

Check out the thread ‘101 Ways with cauliflower’ there are some great ideas. I’ve just checked my recipe on there and I don’t use garlic or thyme but I do use celery, just a slight variation.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Yes to freezing….nothing in them that is fussy that way.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Verano: your way is certainly easier. The broiling adds a bit of “smokiness” but you could get the same effect with some smoked paprika or even liquid smoke (odd stuff….assume it is available in UK).

• posted by Verano
    on

Luvtcook I don’t think we can easily get hold of liquid smoke but a little extra paprika does the trick, just have to add it to taste. Also the garlic is probably fine but I just don’t like garlic in soup, great in other dishes just not in soup for me!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Today is the one year BSD anniversary of this thread so I thought I’d report in, it was my ‘home’ thread for so long. Chelle LuckyLinda, Oh2bethin, anyone still here?

Looking back, I haven’t met my final goal (damned final 600g!) but I’ve had so many successes along the way. 49lb and 35inches discarded like so many dirty socks 😁 my clothes are three to four sizes smaller, I feel great but best of all, I know I’ve cracked the upward weight spiral. I’m so grateful to have found this way of life.

Would love to hear from my old companions from this thread!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Mariet, how lovely that you have remembered to note that this is the 1 year anniversary of the thread. And congratulations on your accomplishment.

I regret to tell you that in pretty regular posting since 10/17 I do not remember seeing the names pop of the friends you mentioned. Perhaps like you they will check in and post an update.

The forum continues to generate a lot of support and affection among its members. It sounds like you early pioneers set a great tone that has persisted through the months.

Welcome back, and thanks for checking in. Please do again and let us all know how you are getting on. The success of one of us is a victory for us all on the way of life.

LTC

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Good morning Mariet,

So good to hear from you & delighted for you with your success, I have been “lurking” especially on the 4 week challenges and have been keeping up with your journey.
    I haven’t been as disciplined as you but have recently refocused and back at the Fast 800. Although initially I had lost over 30lbs unfortunately I have put back on 12lbs 😱 Christmas & menopause being my biggest hurdles.
    No more excuses, this WOE is so much better for me & I cant believe I slipped back to old habits & unlocked the carb monster.
    Thanks for getting back in touch and hopefully a few more will update and are KOKO.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m so happy to hear from you Oh2bethin 👋

12lb- could have been worse, well done for limiting the damage! Stop lurking though and join in the next challenge, it’s starting today and such good support. It would be great to see you there.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- as if it’s been a year! Fab to see we are all still lurking- as always I have been hit and miss- but still plodding along- I’ve started exercising more too now- just at home- HILT butaready feeling much better- my wedding is in May so still want to lose another stone for dress fitting in April:-) xxx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Chelle I’m so glad you’re still here! I’m sure you’ll look stunning in your wedding dress, I wish you could post pics. A stone is very achievable. Why don’t you come over to the new challenge? Lots of support and it might help. It’s called into March without the starch or something similar. Good luck and keep plugging away 💐

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Thanks I will take a look and see- might give me the extra motivation- OH is no help as he eats bread and carbs and crap all the time and doesn’t put in any weight- whereas I look at chocolate and I put on! Lol

• posted by JustStickWithThis
    on

Oh cool thread!
    I am re-starting tomorrow, does that count? lol.
    I hope everyone is doing well so far. 🙂

• posted by Mariet
    on

You’re very welcome JustStickWithThis, here or anywhere else 😁

This is an old thread though, from a year ago, you might find more traffic on a newer one. Why don’t you come over to the Success in March without the carbs thread, it’s a four week challenge and there’s heaps of support there, newcomers and old timers, all welcome.

Restarts are a specialty so give it a go. When did you do BSD before? There are probably names you’ll recognise. Good luck!

• posted by JustStickWithThis
    on

@mariet oh I did not realize this thread was quite so old! I will join the march thread. 🙂
    I have attempted to do this diet probably 3 times already! The most recent attempt having been just a few weeks ago. I have pretty pathetic will power, but I am full of hope! Lol.
    I will find the thread you mentioned. 🙂 Thank you!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hi all just checking in after 14 months habc1 back today and still at 37 woowoo thank you prof Taylor and mm and of course all of you with great advice. Game changer defo food is medicine! Hope all still doing well. Linda

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Wow- well done you- it’s amazing to look back at what I used to eat to what I do now- don’t even miss the beige of rice pasta and potato- I still have the odd sandwich and a few chips but all in moderation 🙂 xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Yay LuckyLinda what great news, well done you! I’m still here too, maintaining the WOE and my goal weight. Lovely to hear from you!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Glad to hear you both doing well chips my downfall and a rare pizza and not so rare wine 🙂 but a treat rather than a regular occurrence. Will check in again sometime in the future and hope to hear we all still got this.

Please log in or register to post a reply.