20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

That’s great Linda how quickly did you lose weight when you started. Unfortunately I do like my wine but will keep that for special occasions!

• posted by kv87170
    on

I was going to ask you too Linda, what was your initial start weight and how long did it take you to get down to your goal?

I started this WOE at 73.6kg and am down to 67.1kg. Yippee..Finally lost a stone! I would love to get to 60kg!

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Hi I’m that weight now and I hoping for 59 (that’s what I was and have a ton of clothes I can’t wear) how long have you been doing this?

• posted by kv87170
    on

Hi Jane, I started on the 20 Feb. This is the first time I’ve done the BSD. I haven’t been 60kg since my Uni days (I’m 44 now)! Did manage to get to 63kg on Atkins about 10 years ago before the kids came along. I’m normally looking for a quick fix but this WOE seems really good long term. How long have you been doing this?

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Hi I started two weeks ago and lost 2.6 kilos in the first week was amazed. But I’ve been on holiday this week and I’m afraid me and red wine were not strangers! I’ve been quite good food wise but I’m not going to weigh til next Friday. I’ve piled on 3 stones since being on thyroid meds so I’ve seen posts were others have lost on this diet so starting again properly. You’ve done really well in a month hope I can do the same. Here’s to being slimmer in summer x

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi janeandmoses and kv87170
    My highest ever weight was 99.9kg but I started the BSD at 89.9kg in April last year and got to my initial goal weight of 63kg in September after 25 weeks straight. I did not cheat with sugar or bad carbs and lost every week, some weeks more than others, although some weeks were higher in calories.

I continued with low carb but increased my fat intake and continued to lose weight until I got to around 56 kilos. I stayed around there for a couple of months then started fluctuating between 56-60kg. I found the more dairy and nuts I ate, the higher in that range I got, so I’ve just cut them out and lost 2.5 kilos in a week!

I’m enjoying eating like this and treat it as a big experiment on my body. I also do intermittent fasting sometimes up to 24 hours at a time and once to 48 hours. Amazing how ‘not hungry’ you feel when you fast when you are fat adapted.

Any other questions, just ask. I’m here to helpπŸ˜€. I’m in Australia so sometimes the time difference means it could be a few hours before I can respond.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by kv87170
    on

Thanks for the great tips Linda. You’ve had wonderful results! I’ve started just having a hot lemon water for breakfast then having a salad/chicken lunch. Dinner has been Greek yogurt with mixed seeds and berries. I tend to eat the same thing most days as I like the routine. If I’ve been hungry inbetween I’ve had some goats cheese or mixed nuts. I also have a cappacino before I go to the gym. Maybe I should cut back on the dairy???

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone,

I went to a fundraiser last night, a bingo night (!) for Riding for the Disabled. I go every year and it’s fun but I knew there would be lots of ‘bad’ nibblies supplied in addition to what each table brings. I brought devilled eggs and a friend brought crustless zucchini slice and I think I was a bit overconfident. Another friend brought a fruit plate… with chocolate dipping sauce.

πŸ™

First real stagger off the wagon. I reckon I ate a dozen strawberries/raspberries dipped in chocolate. I’m sad to report that it tasted just as fabulous as ever. So much for finding sweet things too sweet!

Woke up this morning feeling so disappointed in myself. I’m back on the wagon and everything but I guess the concentrated carbs will have it’s affect on the scales this week. Oh well, real life and all that!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey- you are like me- always so hard on yourself! I have learnt to ensure I still work out the calories and carbs I have eaten- 1 to see how much and 2- it’s often not as bad as you think- yes it will be way over what you usually stick to but compare it to how you were before and puts things into a better perspective

The other day I ate a bag of crisps and managed to remain within carbs and calories!

As you say- dust yourself down and get back on it- this is me a couple of times a week! I’m still losing inches so it all works! Xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks Chelle. You’re right, after seeing your post I made myself toy up the damage and it wasn’t as bad as I feared though not good, abut 1100 cals and 80 carbs. I’m glad you’re losing inches! In losing from everywhere except my waist but it has to grudgingly leave there sooner or later! Good luck with your weigh in 😊

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Good luck with weigh in everyone! Had a real test last night dinner with friends they did a buffet but no green salad in sight it was cheeses, pate, salami, ham and pickles- I did find some goats cheese and had gherkins, pickled onions and a few olives! I avoided any bread or crackers and ignored the puddings! Must admire it was hard but managed it!

• posted by Mariet
    on

LindA that link is fascinating- and chilling. Thanks!

• posted by pettip
    on

Chelle1981, well said. I’ve adopted that attitude now too.

Great stuff Hellyshear. You resisted. I know I’d have succumbed to a few white carbs.

LindaA I had no idea! That link is a fascinating read. I thought I was keeping myself healthy physically and hopefully out of hospital, but it turns out it’s mentally too. Thank you.

Well, I’ve shed another 3lb this week. Doing the happy dance.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hi all-last week I had a real up and down week- stressful at work and hormones are not good! Each day I have picked myself back up and tried to be good! This week I am fully back on it and meal plan sorted! I am away next weekend and this will be the test! Have a good week all xx

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Not feeling a 100% today – had some night sweats (have had none since starting this) and up 3 times during the night. Have’t changed diet in fact was the first Sunday where I was really good and ate right and water consumption was spot on – so don’t know if I’m coming down with something or its something I should worry about. Scales have started to fall again since the non movement last week – have finally made it to the elusive 70’s (albeit 79.45) but that is a wopping 8.75kg/19.25lbs in 6 weeks. Was suprised really as I said scales didn’t move at all – not up nor down – so I thought my scales were kapput and went and bought a new one – but still the same and then – woosh – so this WOE works – but wouldn’t it be nice if it was just slow and steady πŸ™‚

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done luckylinda on the weight loss hope you feel better soon. I’m 2oz off the 2 stone loss!!! 3 lbs this week and feeling good! First time I’ve had this control. LindA it is sober reading isn’t it???
    Keep sting 20th Feb starters!!! We are really doing the right thing for our future health!!

• posted by kv87170
    on

My weight this morning was 67.3kg, so I’ve lost a total of 6.3kg! I’ve lost 4 inches in total off my waist (now 31 inches) and 1.5 inches off each thigh.

I’ve got 6 more weeks until my Florida holiday so I will continue with this WOE until then and have 2 weeks off and back on it when I return. Hoping to lose another 6 kilos in the 6 weeks but would be happy with 4!

Great results everyone! So inspiring to hear how everyone is doing so well, even with our little blips along the way. πŸ˜€

• posted by Mariet
    on

Great news kv, congratulations on your loss πŸ‘

Weigh day today, 70kg, 0. 3km down for the week. Not brilliant and even more galling isthe fact that yesterday it was 70.2. 800 up in a day πŸ˜•.

Oh well. Hopefully it’s gone again as quickly as it came!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Sore throat = wet hair + sunny weather does not bode well πŸ™ back to dreary rain and cold today.
    Helly that’s great news 2 oz? really that’ll be gone poof – that’s like a couple of coins – be gone in no time – two stone is amazing
    KV – the way your going you will ROCK Florida
    Mariet – slow week but just remember you’ve gone from 78.9 to 70 in 6 weeks = 8.9 – that’s 20lbs!
    Petip – I’m happy dancing for you also
    Chelle – no matter if week is stressful/hormones – you still pick yourself up – that’s the sign of a true warrior

You are all amazing not just for the weight loss but for sticking with it despite ups n downs that life throws at you (and temptations along the way) – we can do this

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi all – been a while since I’ve checked in lots going all with everyone ups and downs but still all committed which is great.

Not had a great time of late – sister-in-law died, (not being flippant about loss of SIL but funeral teas are awful) was off on A/L for a couple of days 2 weeks ago and facing more days off next week which will consist of 3 nights away visiting my mother et al. Not looking forward to that just because of the food aspect of the holiday – how ridiculous is that? My mother’s staple is brown food; lots of bread, potatoes, cake and biscuits – she can’t have a cup of tea without a packet of biscuits on hand. Can handle the cake/biscuits issue as I don’t get her fascination with cake/biscuits and she has accepted that over the years lol but turning down bread and potatoes – she won’t like that! So plan of action I am going to visit supermarket before landing on her doorstep and buy in food to cook with low carb alternatives for me. My mother & daughter can eat all the carbs they want lol after all I am 46 and should be able to stick up for myself πŸ™

Well I’m delighted with journey so far – 19lbs down so far for me and I must admit the last 3 weeks I haven’t been 100% strict with calories (but have on the carbs) and I am still losing. Have sore throat at the moment & lady “visitors” last month sailed through this month not so easy can only think it is related to sore throat and not feeling 100% – anyway that’s all my moans and groans for now – thanks for listening πŸ™‚

Hope you are all still going…….

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hi all,

Been ill the last couple of days- so not really eaten much- always good for weight loss!

Going back to work tomorrow for 1 day then away for a long weekend- will be a test! Also off work for rest of the week too!

I am now on the last hole on my belt on all my jeans- even the ones i struggled to do up after washing before I started the diet- I can now get them on without undoing button or zip! Sooo pleased!

I don’t know how much I weigh or how much I’ve lost but in total I have gone down 4 belt holes! Lol

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, TGIF here in Australia, busy week at work I’ll be glad to see the end of it. I’m responsible for introducing two separate new computer programs and both are in the pointy end now, 3 weeks to one and 7 weeks to the other. Both unpopular with the workplace but it’s a ministry directive so it’s got to happen. – I’ll be so glad when I can step away from them. Funnily enough I’m finding it easy to eat this way through the stress, it’s like it’s one thing I can hang on to.

Nice to hear from you Oh2bethin but I’m sorry to hear about your SIL. Was it unexpected? Good luck with your visit to your mum. Sounds like you have a plan, I hope it works out for you.
    Chelle, I’m still dancing around the same half kilo I thought I’d waved goodbye to last week. My new burning desire is to get below 70kg by Tuesday, 70.1 today but I’ve been between 70 & 70.5 for the last 10 days πŸ˜•

Good luck everyone and enjoy the countdown to the weekend!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done all! Gosh some challenges! Mi can’t believe we are coming to the end of week 7! I’m planning to go for 12 weeks and then having a break before starting R2! Anyone else fancy it? I’ve lost 2 stone but really want to loose 2 1/2 more ❀️
    I’ve also had a mad week at work and I’m starting a cold too just in time for a week off!!!!

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m going on 3 week cruise from 16/6 so continuing without a breeks until then. That will be 16 weeks of BSD. When I come back I’ll be back on it- my son’s wedding is in the middle of September. Hoping to reach my final goal of BMI 25 in time for that, 8kg to go. So I’ll be here for a long time yet!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hi all – my plan is this
    At end of week 8 have my bloods done
    At end of week 9 see doc and (here’s hoping) if things are moving in right direction switch to 5:2 as is suggested in MMs book
    Continue BSD for a further two weeks and then…
    From week 12 increasing calorie consumption to approx 1200 five days and 600 -800 two days so to see a slower weight loss (give my skin time to catch up with the rest of me πŸ™‚ ) and to allow me the extra energy for more excercise and start weight lifting. I’ve noticed that alot of peeps here continue for a long time at 800 but I feel that increasing calories with more movement will see the results I want which is an increase of muscle mass. I’ve already tried increasing calories 1 or 2 days per week and dropping again to see the effect on my body (my weekly average still comes in around 820 cals) and it works for me as I have already decreased belly measurement by 7 inches which to me is the whole point. Also note that I do not follow the idea here that carbs should be under 50 as my diet includes good carbs of lentils, pulses etc but will never go back to processed carbs (rice and pasta were my staples) and quite honestly don’t miss them. I will continue to post here if that’s ok.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes I am most def carrying on- I think I have averaged between 900-1000 cars a day- so I too am carrying on as I have been- yes it is slower results and huge respect to those who stick to 800cals and way under 50 carbs- something I
    Just cannot seem to do- helly amazing results for you!

I have a holiday in July and then my wedding in may 2018 so I am in for the long haul- I feel what I have been doing works for me- so will stick with it- this is a change in lifestyle not a diet so makes sense to adapt and stick together πŸ™‚

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Mariet – thanks. SIL was expected but always a shock when it does happen πŸ™

Yes – count me in for carrying on. I’m in this for the long haul – don’t think I’ll be quite so rigid as you hard corers πŸ˜‰ moving on thinking of weekdays 800 and med style weekend – must admit it is kind of what Ive been doing these last couple of weeks when I’ve been out of sync and the weight is still coming off so think it is manageable long term – obviously will have to tweak and be more strict with calories.

Hubby now also following – although not counting calories but totally off carbs and he is amazed at how good he feels and how quickly his body shape is changing – his weight loss is slow but visible results are keeping him motivated!

• posted by kv87170
    on

Marietta, I know how you feel. I’ve been trying to get under 67 for about 10 days. Keep hovering between 67 to 67.6 and it’s driving me crazy! The good thing is I’ve lost another 0.5 inch off my waist so something is happening. Dreading the next 2 weeks as it’s School holidays and I’m hoping the kids don’t drive me to raid the cupboard! I’ll also have to go to the gym at night when the kids are asleep! Just like having my normal weekday routine to keep me on track.

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Sunday morning and weigh in is tomorrow but I have to share – no weight change this week so I expect no change tomorrow at weigh in but hope that it will be a repeat of the last couple of weeks i.e no change week five and then a nice drop week 6 – so fingers crossed week 8 will be the same repeat. But want to share this lovely offset of the diet – went and got measured for new bras yesterday – get this – gone from a 44DDD to wait for it………………………. 36G. Yippee so instead of the standard black/white bras for work – went crazy and bought red, pink and neon blue -sure they’ll look great under my white work shirts lol

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m so glad others are staying here for longer, it’s such a great place for venting and support!
    LuckyLinda what a wonderful feeling! Wear your new pretty bras with pride. I bought new bras a couple of weeks before starting BSD, 38D. Now the cups are sadly wrinkled and they’re on the tightest hooks! Luckily I have a draw full of 36c and now they all fit which makes me very happy.

I thought this was the end of week 8 so did a final weigh in, still 70.1 so now 15 days between 70 and 70.6 but I realised it’s actually 7 weeks so maybe I’ll crack into the 60s by next week.

Wishing every one a good result for your weigh in.

• posted by Arelle
    on

Hi LindaA
    I am on day 6 and have had the headaches from the sugar/caffeine addictions but otherwise feel ok. I am coping. I am not losing as fast as I thought but after reading your post, I looked at the nutrition of my 800 cals again. I have been right up or over on the carbs and fats every day while staying within my 800 cals.
    I am going back to three shakes a day my two cups of vegs to give it a kick start.
    My GP said 100g carb daily but you say 50g ! Is this doable and how do you contain it !
    My husband is hungry all the time and I don’t know what to give him which is satisfying bug won’t break his 800 cal goal. He hates the shakes and wants real food ! It’s hard but he’s losing faster than me ! I am determined to lose 10kgs and reverse my metabolic syndrome.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Arelle
    Well done for starting this way if eating, that’s often the hardest thing to doπŸ‘πŸ‘Œ.
    Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water – at least 3 litres, increase your salt intake to replenish your electrolytes and if the headaches persist, take a couple of Panadol and just take it easy till they pass, they will pass. It also doesn’t hurt to supplement with some magnesium.
    I only ate real food, I didn’t have any shakes, so I can’t comment on whether that will be successful or not. I wanted to learn to change my eating habits for ever and didn’t feel that shakes would do that.
    It’s more important to keep your carbs low than your calories. I’m not T2D, pre diabetic or insulin resistant so I could get away with a max of 50g of carbs per day, but a lot of the others that post found that they needed to get as low as 20g to lose weight. It’s just trial and error as we are all different.
    This was very doable and unfortunately most doctors still don’t realise that carbs are not an essential nutrient and you can live you life without them at all if you do choose. My doctor is now on board because I asked her to run my bloods and everything, especially cholesterol is perfect, despite me now eating copious quantities of fat, no grains and very low carbs now that I’m maintaining my weight.

Here’s a link to the diet doctor website that has a stack of low carb recipes:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

This may help in looking for things to cook for hubby. Be careful of the recipes in the BSD book, the calorie and carb counts are not accurate.

Make sure you weigh and measure your vegetables (all your food) as the carb content of some can be surprisingly high. I recorded everything without fail whilst I was still learning. Here’s a list that might help.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

I have cut out all grains and legumes completely which helps keep my carbs low. Maybe start with that for hubby and replace those foods with good fat (butter, lard, extra virgin olive, avocado, macadamia oils etc. No polyunsaturated seed oils like canola, safflower, sunflower oils as they are highly inflammatory.)

It’s not a huge deal if you go over the 800 calories a day occasionally if you’re are really hungry, it’s more important to stay under with the carbs.
    Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Arelle
    on

Thank you for your links. We have given up all grains and cows milk and changed to almond milk. I find the shakes good at present to get my weight loss going but love vegetables so that’s not a problem. I drink plenty of water and take extra vitamins as well. The headaches have passed now thank goodness. I will look at the vegs and I do count everything on my fitness pal , but I wasn’t looking at the carb content. Now I will !

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Weigh in Monday – 78.5kg – cheating -wine- does not help πŸ™‚ Roll on week 8!

• posted by pod
    on

Hi! I started the same time as you all so I would like to join in please!!
    There are some really great stories on here!
    I too am carrying on after next weeks weigh in, it would be awesome to join you all.
    I lost 3lbs this week so a total of 23lbs in 7 weeks!
    Good luck to you all for today’s weigh in!
    Reasons to be cheerful, part 1!!!!!

• posted by pod
    on

Luckylinda, hope the wine was good! I’m looking forward to my first glass of wine this weekend, it would be just before the 8 week mark wouldn’t it!
    after seeing your post about restricting carbs, I had a look at my carb count and it was around the 50, I then saw how fruit and starchy vegetables are low in cals and higher in carbs.. So have been mostly 20g a day this week, and adding more fat and salt. I’m learning so much more as each week passes, at the beginning of Bsd I just cut out refined carbs, now I’m hoping to fine tune as I understand it a bit more!

• posted by Maggie-may
    on

Hi everyone – apologies for not posting anything for several weeks but hectic work life has been taking up most of my time as well as a few personal things. I hope you have all been managing to keep on track – it has been really hard the last few weeks, and I admit to losing momentum and not keeping strictly to the diet and probably not 800 calories either. However, today I reached the end of my 8 weeks (as I started a week before the 20th Feb) and I am still pleased to say that even with the slight deviations, I have lost the grand total of 27lb’s – just 1lb off my 2 stone target! I am so thrilled I can’t tell you – I have NEVER EVER managed to lose anywhere near this amount of weight on a diet and although my primary reason was avoiding the dreaded Diabetic label I am chuffed to pieces :-))
    Although this is a really good amount of weight (and really scary when you imagine what 27lb of fat or sugar would look like in a big pile) I know it is only about a quarter of what I need to lose – yes I am a BIG lady, well short and round actually, but less round than I was before, but this is an amazing start for me so I am going to battle on for another 4 weeks and get my head back in the game and see how it goes.
    I always thought I had no will power and that was why I failed at every other diet I’ve tried over the years but I think it has been a combination of the right diet, at the right time with a health fright as the kick up the rear that I needed to make it work. Good luck to all of the rest of you – keep going, it’ll be worth it in the end. :-))

• posted by pod
    on

Well done Maggie-may,. Awesome result.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Congratulations Maggie-may. You have done really well with your weight loss. I don’t know where my will power has come from because I have never stuck to a diet like this one. Onwards and downwards.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done Maggie may x x
    I agree about the will power it’s incredible and long may it last ❀️ It’s my birthday and I’ve had a gin and tonic but stayed in control!!!! Love it x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Congratulations on your awesome results Pod and Maggie May! I agree, once it’s a routine this way of eating is ridiculously easy to follow and even forgiving of the odd wobble ☺

Happy to report that this morning the scales grudgingly allowed me under the 70kg mark after stalling for 2 weeks. 69.9 and I daresay it’ll bounce again tomorrow but I’ll take the happy feeling today! Total loss 8.3 (18lb3oz) in 7 weeks. Somehow it sounds better in pounds though I haven’t used pounds fir 40 years.

I am going to try switching my main meal to lunch time with just soup for dinner. I often have to eat it quite late and I saw last night on Trust me I’m a Doctor that there’s some evidence that eating late at night kicks up your blood fat for a longer time. Desperate to get the weight loss happening again!

• posted by kv87170
    on

So inspiring reading all the great results! Unfortunately scale-wise I’ve been stuck on a plateau for 2 weeks! I’ve lost a total of one stone (almost 10%of total body weight). I’ve also lost another half an inch off my waist which is great (total 5 inches) and my UK size 14 clothes are getting loose.

I’ve joined up to the 12 week online course that starts on the 17 April as I’ve become stuck in a rut with my food. Seeds, nuts and Greek yogurt have replaced chocolate!!! Need accountability and inspiration to try new recipes! So want to shift another stone before my Florida trip in just under 5 weeks!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all

Back from my weekend away…..lets just say it was an a,axing weekend, fab weather, company, wine and food! On the plus side did loads of walking 45km in total over Saturday and Sunday so let’s hope that this reverts the food and wine!

As like any blip- been shopping this morning and stocked up on all things good and low carb again.

Friday we have friends over for dinner so trying to think what I can cook that is impressive and I can pick the bits I want and still good a decent meal for them.

I am off work rest of this week too so will look at cook books πŸ™‚

On another note my mobile has packed in- think it’s fried and overheated- going to take it back and ask for new one as under warranty

• posted by Mariet
    on

Wow Chelle that’s a lot of walking! You’d think it would have to help. 10 years ago I did a walk in England, the Ridgeway, 150 km in 7 days. It was fabulous and though I ate everything in sight and drank my fair share of red wine I lost 5kg. And it stayed off for 2 years so not just water. The long walks here in Australia tend to be to strenuous for me now.

Good luck with settling back on the wagon.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes it was pretty flat walking but walking all the same so really hoping that it will be a big help! If I put weight on then so be it- not actually eaten too much today- need to download fitness app for iPad as now phone is broken I have nothing to keep me focused- had fruit and yoghurt and then didn’t eat until dinner and had chicken and salad- haven’t drunk enough water today but don’t want yo drink before bed as will be up all night!

• posted by pod
    on

Hi all! Hope we’re all onwards and downwards!
    LindaA, that article on Sweden was great, can just see all the agri company’s in the USA holding their heads in their hands!
    Do you know if the UK has a policy to the USA similar regarding grains, I know they keep on saying Eat more wholegarains!!

• posted by pod
    on

Just eaten flaxseed on my yoghurt for my breakfast after reading the thread on constipation.
    I haven’t been for 8 days and although not painful I feel uncomfortable!
    Been drinking 2 litres plus of water, also black tea and coffee. Do tea and coffee hydrate?
    Cut out beans and pulses to lower my carbs, and now fibre is too low, can’t seem to find the right balance!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Pod
    Not sure about the UK as I’m in Australia, but they certainly promote it out here. I have now completely cut grains and all pulses out of my diet to keep my carbs around 20-30g per day and have flax and/or chia seeds to keep things moving, but then I read this article which made sense, so now don’t have as much;
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

I don’t believe tea and coffee do hydrate. I’ve read that you need more water if you consume tea/coffee. I only drink herbal teas but my usual level of water intake would be at least 3 litres a day, often more.
    Cheers
    Linda

Please log in or register to post a reply.