20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Pod,
    Drinking a pint of water or a mug of coffee early in the morning first thing and then lying down again for half an hour does the trick perfectly for some……

• posted by pod
    on

LindaA, lucky girl living where the sun shines!
    Well, confused of what to do now. I was going to go back to beans and pulses, but after reading the article you linked to might just stick to flax seeds.. I’ve done a week of carbs below 30, and three days on 20, that took a lot of calculating. I’ll just have to see where I end up!
    This is my 7th week on BSD, so might rethink my percentages for the next cycle, or maybe the the fast 5.2 diet, I’m unsure if which yet

• posted by pod
    on

Oh! Forgot to mention, in the UK the do tend to promote low fat, more grains.
    I’m gonna try to find out if it is promoted by the agri companies.

• posted by pod
    on

Hi Baristagirls, I’ve tried both with no effect. Perhaps I’m just eating exactly what I need with no waste!
    LOL!

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Yes it is a real problem. Not only is it uncomfortable but makes you feel fat as well and you know what you want to do when you feel fat? Eat!! I think my problem is exacerbated by being hypothyroid its a nightmare. Was never like this before.

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

Hi Pod, I’ve not been for 8 days now either but for me its not a problem so far. I guess that’s because my calorie intake has been so low there’s nothing to waste!

Linda that article was really interesting, just goes to show how much historical science has been proven wrong or inconclusive.

I haven’t eaten high fibre for years (difficult when eating v low carb and no grains, pulses or beans), so pleased to read the article’s findings, but I have found that when I over indulge on nuts and berries the motions come thick and fast. Not going to happed whilst BSDing though.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi LindaA
    Have just read the article you posted a link to yesterday – on Sweden becoming the first country to adopt low carb high fat and to reject the low fat high carb diet dogma. Brilliant article – have bookmarked it.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi LindaA,
    You have posted some great links on the forum, including graphics. I wonder if you’d be good enough to tell me how you do it. This is the only forum I’ve regularly posted to and my usual method for adding into emails or txts hasn’t been successful.
    Thanks.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Marsie
    Firstly I do everything on my iPhone.

I just go to the webpage on safari that I want and I either press the page address at the top then press ‘copy’, then come back to the BSD page and press on the screen where I want to put it and press ‘paste’ once it comes up or once I’m on the safari page I want, I send myself the page via SMS or email, then once it’s arrived, I simply press on the link and press copy and again paste it to the BSD page where I want it to go.
    Hope this helps! Where in Australia are you? I’m in Sydney.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Marsie
    on

Thanks Linda, that sounds simple😊

I’m in Perth, northside beach suburb of Sorrento. We lived in Sydney for a few years in the’90s up in Castle Hill. Retired back to family in Perth.

Cheers
    Marilyn

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Marilyn
    Perth is lovely, I lived there for 6 months back in the early 80’s in Applecross.
    I’m in Warrawee, only about 30 mins from Castle Hill.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi Linda,
    If I remember my Sydney geography, Warrawee is in Upper North Shore? Lots of trees, beautiful, as is Applecross. Most of our friends live over Applecross way, south of the river to our north, so we visit often.
    Cheers,
    Marilyn

• posted by LindaA
    on

Yes Marilyn, spot on, between Chatswood and Hornsby.
    Lots of trees (which on occasion have a tendency to fall over without warning onto to power lines and take the power out for hours on end!!)
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Happy easter all! Gonna weigh in tonight as won’t be online for the next week and as its 8 weeks tomorrow – wow that went fast! So started on 21 Feb at 88.2 and now today 77. 11.2 down / 24.5 lbs pretty good going. Lots of clothes bagged and off to charity shops – my pain their gain 🙂
    Starting 5:2 tomorrow hoping that I’ll still see drops but much slower still have 35lbs to go but hope that with added calories and increased exercise that will be easy going. Best of luck to all and continue to fight the good fight.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done Luckylinda that is brilliant!
    I’m going to go for 12 weeks then 4 weeks break from 800. Then will start R2!
    I’ve lost 34.2 lbs and 9inches from my waist- having bloods done this week!
    Been a bit rubbish today with wine prosseco and red wine- ate according to plan but drank 4 glasses of booze and feel rubbish! Hangover by 5pm!! Going to remain booze free me thinks!!
    Good luck for final weigh in everyone!
    Let me know if you are planning to do another 4 weeks???

• posted by Mariet
    on

Well done Luckylinda and I hope the 5:2 goes well for you.

Hellyshear I’m continuing until mid June when I go on a 3 week cruise. Will stick to the eating principles on the cruise but I know there will be alcohol so will just try my best.
    My 8 week weigh in is tomorrow, good luck for everyone finishing today 🎉🎉

I didn’t think when I started that I would really be able to do 8 weeks but now I can’t imagine going back to eating the old way. I ate water crackers on Saturday (seasick 😵) but they left me feeling blah yesterday. They also weren’t able as nice as I remembered!

• posted by thespirituk
    on

Well today makes 8 weeks and I can’t believe how quickly it’s gone by. I’ve not been much of a poster on here but I came by each day for continued support and inspiration from everyone’s posts. Got to be honest, this last week I know I’ve crept over 800 cals but still kept the principles of the plan there! On the BSD I’ve lost 27lbs since 20 Feb. Which I am ecstatic about. I officially started a new way of eating on 31 Jan but not the BSD at that point. After being told I was prediabetes on that day I went into panic mode and decided that something had to change. So I cut out added sugar, biscuits, cake and so on and reduced my calorie intake. I also started exercising (I do rebounder routines mostly and now looking to add weights etc into my workout plan). Then, of course, on 20 February I began the BSD after going into research meltdown to see what else I could do. I’m so glad I did find this group and plan as it’s changed how I eat, workout (i.e. I do now) and introduced foods into my diet that were not there before. With my pre BSD and then these 8 weeks I’ve now lost 42 lbs or 3 stone. And I’m not finished yet! I really want to lose more as I’ve never done anything that’s made me feel so much better. Being able to run upstairs is something I haven’t done in years. Cooking food again is so much better as I’d forgotten what my cooker was for! Planning what I’m going to eat rather than thinking, “oh just go to the drive through” is a big turn around. I hope everyone who’s followed and is following this feels like I do today as it’s like I’ve woken up after years of a lazy food fog and feel renewed. I don’t know what my bloods are like yet, I have to make that appointment, but I’m feeling great. Two more stone to go until I’m where I now want to be. But today I’m one happy guy!

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

What an inspirational post. Well done you what an amazing result. I have been dabbling and now I need to do this properly – Easter is over no excuses I hope I can do as brilliantly as you 👏

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Wow what great results from you all- I don’t know how much I’ve list on weight but I’ve lost 6 inches from my waist!

I have had a real roller coaster journey and no where near have enough will power as many of you- however I am continuing with 800 cals for at least another 4 weeks- although the I often eat between 800-1000 a day

I don’t ever exercise and this is something I need to add in- I’m not going to join a gym, main,y as I can’t afford to but I’m going to find an online workout that will get me moving more

This way is a massive change in our lives and I really don’t think you realise what you eat and what damage it does to you until you start to monitor what you eat!

I will continue to post and read here as it really is my motivation when I got off the rails…..

• posted by pod
    on

Reasons to be Cheerful, Part One
    Well done to you all for your amazing weight losses, and your inspirational posts
    I’m over the moon with my weight loss today, 3lbs lost this week, and had a copious amount of red wine on Saturday, but had a raging hangover on Sunday so that will teach me (I think not)!!!!
    Eight weeks on the BSD with a one-night horrendous carb blip, and another night a little red wine blip, but the rest of the time I was very strict so my results are
    whoop whoop!

26LBS LOST!!!!!!!!! I am now 13st 2lbs / 184lbs
    Started at 15 st / 210lbs

lost 4″ off waist, 4″ off hips and 2″ off of bust
    My goal is to reach 10st/ 140lbs, so a way to go, but what a fantastic start. And I do feel much healthier and “alive”!!
    I’m going to carry on for another 3 weeks, then I’m on holiday for two weeks, then I’ll do another 8weeks.
    I haven’t done much exercise at all, so I’m going to make a conscious effort to up the cycling, stationary bike!
    So as many of you say Onwards and downwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted by pod
    on

Chelle 1981, wow! 6″ off of your waist is amazing, well done you!!

• posted by kv87170
    on

Wow, such great results!!! I’m still at 67.2kg which I’ve been hovering on for the past 2 weeks…Ahhhh!!! I go to the gym 6 days a week so was hoping the scales would move downwards quicker. I guess muscle weighs more than fat and my clothes are a lot looser. So my total for the 8 weeks still stands at 1 stone and 5 inches off my waist. I’m going for another 4 weeks before my holiday and will try to be a lot stricter this time. I’m going to have hot lemon water for breakfast and then lunch and dinner. I’m going to stop the Greek yogurt and cut back on cheese and seeds snacking inbetween meals! And more water! Haven’t been drinking enough since the kids have been on holiday. So glad a few of us will be sticking around on this thread for longer.

• posted by Allypally
    on

Hi all
    Just been on holiday for a week and tried to stay as low carb as feasible but not remotely counting calories – really chuffed to have only gained half a pound!
    As I have effectively had 2 weeks totally off plan I am also carrying on – have lost just under a stone but even more importantly 4 inches off waist!!!
    This is a woe I can really feel I can keep going on. Haven’t always stuck to 800 cals which is why my loss is less than others but motivated to keep going.
    Find all your posts very supportive and inspiring
    Want to lose 3 stone altogether so am 1/3 of the way, with all your help
    Onwards and downwards!
    Xx

• posted by pod
    on

Well done Allypally, that’s an incredible result for your holiday!!! Hope I manage as well when I go in three weeks.
    You’ve given me hope!!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done everyone!!!
    Spirituk- that’s amazing!!!
    This group has been such a support long may it continue x x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Good morning everyone! Such fabulous results! Congratulations! 👍

Week 8 weigh in for me, 68.6 so 9.6kg gone over the 8 weeks. That’s 21lb, 12%of my start weight and 19%over the past 15 months.

Bust- 4″
    Midriff- 5″
    Waist- 4″
    Belly- 3″
    Hips- 3″
    I’m becoming more of a pear than an apple!

Very happy 😅
    Another round of 8 weeks before my long cruise when I’ll relax for 3 weeks but stick to the principles.

One of our pricier department stores had a40% off online sale on Good Friday and I ordered 3 pairs of 3/4 trousers in size 12. They may be a little tight now but I’m confident they’ll fit by the cruise and I’ll keep them on view as an encouragement to stick to it. Its many years since I was in a size 12.

Thank you all so much for the support and encouragement over the past 8 weeks. I’m sure I would have had many more wobbles and falls without it. So glad so many are sticking around.

*happy dancing off to work*

• posted by kv87170
    on

Well done Mariet, fantastic results!!! You’re going to look amazing on your cruise! Great idea buying something new to spur you on more.

The scales finally budged for me last night and I’m down to 66.8kg… Yippee! I no longer have a muffin-top when I wear my skinny jeans now and my boobs are no longer spilling out of my bras! 😀

• posted by Mariet
    on

Kudos to you KV! My new mini goal is 65kg and I’ve joined the Mid May challenge so we’ll see. I saw my doctor yesterday, first time in 18 months. She was delighted with my results as I was 81kg when I last saw her, and very interested in the plan. She took lots of notes and said she’s going to investigate further. Had blood taken today & crossing my fingers that cholesterol has come down.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all

Not been sticking to diet this week as well as I want too- there have been 2 birthdays in the office and I have given into samosas! I feel quite bloated and sluggish today so know it’s my own fault- I’ve still been on yoghurt for breakfast and no snacks but have been very naughty

I am back on it fully as of day as really don’t want to do more damage!

Happy Friday all!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Morning all and Happy Friday – don’t get me wrong I do love my weekends but hate them as well as I don’t stick to routine as well as Monday to Friday 🙁 i.e. few glasses wine and temptation, temptation….. and not enough water. Saw doc they have decided to wait another four weeks before bloods done so that they can have an overview of three months rather than two (all the better for me hoping that a little more weight off will make all the difference) However BIG bonus of this WOE is that my BP is 119/79 how brilliant is that. They said the diet made the difference – wow if it does that for BP here’s hoping it makes the biggest difference to the BG. Also waist measurement is now 9 inches smaller whereas weight has remained nearly the same over last two weeks. Bought skirts two sizes smaller last week (snug) and now this morning I’ve had to put a pin in to hold up. Amaze-balls! Glad to see nearly everyone still here and working away at this – your posts keep me on track

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi all 🙂 – some amazing results.

LL – WOW 9 inches off waist WOW! And BP – spot on – nothing but good results with this WOE. So with you re weekends – I can be damn near perfect all week and then bomb – weekend wine and scales get ignored for weighing & measuring and recording food – but must admit other than the wine my diets been sticking the Med style eating so that’s manageable and long term that’ll work for me. I have been hovering between 21-24lbs lost over last 3 weeks which is a bit annoying but will try harder to reign it in a little over the weekend – although daughters birthday on Sunday…………….life just gets in the way lol.

Chelle – can feel your pain re office working and trying to avoid the continual flow of food – this lunchtime our main office staff ordered in chips for all and one member of staff had made a massive blueberry & white chocolate cake………….thankfully my office is not attached – egg salad for me – polishing halo!

I haven’t checked my measurements for a few weeks will have to dig out the tape this weekend.
    Hope everyone doing well & the weekend isn’t too much of a challenge diet wise.

PS – survived the few days at my Mothers over Easter – diet was spot on and felt really pleased had conquered that challenge – the NO word is very empowering when you’ve been afraid to use it in the past – especially when food choices are involved!

• posted by Mariet
    on

LuckyLinda, 9 inches!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!! How amazing is that! Congratulations, what a fabulous result for your hard work! I can only dream, I’ve seen loss from everywhere but my waist remains stubbornly attached to its fat 🙁 Any loss I had from there was in the first month, it’s remained the same according to the tape measure since then.

Chelle, I feel for you with the office food. I am mostly in an office on my own (even in a different building from all my colleagues) but whenever I go over there they always have carb heavy food around. It would be tough having the temptation there all the time.

Oh2bthin, Well done on staying on track at your mother’s! I agree about the NO word and the more often I use it regarding food the easier it gets 🙂

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, it’s a sunny Saturday morning here in Sydney and I’m alone in the house for a change and can do whatever I like! The plan was to clean, tidy, wash the floors, attack the kitchen cupboards- but the back deck, a coffee and a book in the sun sounds more inviting.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes being in a large open plan office is a nightmare as we constantly resemble a cake shop- luckily I’m not fussed by cake but samosas Shen they are warm I just cannot refuse!

I am on the naughty step big time and feel like I’ve out on weight for it 🙁 only got myself to blame tho- can feel the last hole on my belt a little tighter but I shall redeem myself snd as of today I am fully back on it and will be shopping today to buy plenty of salads for the week and green veg

I cannot believe how sluggish too many carbs make you feel- this is very much lesson learnt that carbs make me bloated my tummy gurgle and generally feel unpleasant and frumpy

I am a trooper and have given myself a good talking too and now back in the zone as we say!

( wine is still my down fall but I don’t be on any this week-! )

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hey oh2b chelle mariet you are strong warriors who deal with the everyday challenges thrown at us and still keep on fighting the good fight. No one said it’d be easy with temptation lurking around corner but we are managing it despite the little blips. It is inspiring to be able to read your posts about the everyday struggles you face helps me to face my own knowing others are going through the same. Had a major blip last night which I will chalk up to the euphoria of the good results the day before _ went out for drinks uhuh I won’t tell u how many vodkas let’s just say I lost count which of course led to carb fest and taxi at 4am. Feeling it today only upside is as I felt invincible as you do with alcohol danced for hours with the young ones in the club so hopefully burned off some calories 🙂 hey got to see a positive side haha. As for the 9 inches I was amazed but I was always very bloated and think perhaps I might have a gluten intolerance which inflated my belly and although weight loss has addressed belly fat I also think that avoiding gluten has made a difference as well. I wonder if others have found this?

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Yes I too do wonder if it’s wheat or gluten but never been tested- I’m with you though- makes me very bloated and feel awful

Glad it’s not just me who has major blips- I always like to admit and off load mine- somehow makes me feel better and more determined to lose weight.

9″” is amazing and I’m hoping that I can had to my 6 🙂

Been out food shopping and stocked up on fish, meat and salad and greens so at least I know my fridge is full of good stuff- OH fills frilly with chocolate bars and biscuits but I’m not bothered by them- so all is good xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

NSV- I ordered some size 12 3/4 pants for my cruise thinking they would be incentive to fit into for my cruise. They came and they’re a little loose and wrinkly! What to do? I find it hard to believe I could really be in size 10 7 weeks from now. Keep or return?

Good luck everyone for your weigh ins today!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Mariet
    Definitely return!
    My ultimate goal was a 12, then I found them too big so bought an expensive pair of 10’s never thinking I’d get smaller and within 2 months was in an 8! The charity shops were rubbing their hands together every time they saw me coming😀
    I’d never in my entire adult life been an 8 and I’ve now maintained that since late last year.
    It feels so good and I admit I feel very smug every time I wear them! It wasn’t a one off either as I’ve now bought 8’s in another brand.
    You can do this!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Oh mariet how wonderful such a boost for morale. I second Linda send them back 😉 and perhaps wait a few more weeks if u can? My weight has remained the same (again) I’m blaming demon drink haha. But seriously did have a blow out all weekend but still stuck to principals so no weight loss but no gain to worry about. I’ve switched to 5:2 now so I hope that I will see a small drop this time next week. I envy you your cruise where are you going?

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks Luckylinda and Linda. I tried the 10 on today and while it fits below there’s a pretty hefty muffin top above! I exchanged one but hedging my bets and kept 2 as insurance because my waist seems to be holding onto fat tightly. It felt pretry amazing to be able to do the 10 up to be honest, when I’m comfortable wearing them I plan to keep the tag on the outside visible to all!

My cruse is 21 days from Singapore to Shanghai, stopping at 8 Asian countries on the way. Although Asia is so close to Australia I’ve never been there except to change planes on the way somewhere else so I’m really excited. And we were upgraded to a mini-suite, no idea why, so woohoo!

• posted by kv87170
    on

Oh how I hate that time of the month! Was feeling so bloated and miserable yesterday and the scales were being very unkind! 1kg gain! Succumbed to carbs in the form of 1 Krispie Kreme doughnut, 2 mixed berry pocket breads and a small packet of smokey bacon crisps! So angry with myself! Had a stern talk to myself last night and will be strong from now on as my holiday is only 20 days away!

• posted by pod
    on

Hi all! Maharani kitten what a challenging week you have had. I do hope you’re feeling better and that you’re ok in your house.. I know how awful a burglar being in your house feels.
    And Mariet, congratulations on the trousers, and yes, you should definitely wear the label on the outside!
    I’ve lost 1 lb this week so a bit disappointed as I cycled for 30 minutes every other day, hoped it would be more!
    Measurements haven’t changed either, so I realise l might be hitting a plateau.
    I could really do with some help, please, please. Yes, I’m getting desperate!
    I’ve read the forums all week but have been feeling very low. I’m sticking to the diet 100% but with gritted teeth. I’m absolutely craving carbs, well, not sweet stuff, but bread or crackers!
    I’ve been absolutely exhausted for 2 weeks now, I don’t work so pretty much do what I want, apart from 2 days of looking after the granddaughters..
    My challenges are, I’ve tried to get the carbs 25g and never above 30 , fat between 50 or 60 and protein 60.
    I manage that daily but can’t seem to get the fiber right. Should be 21 but I usually manage only around 10, some days even lower. Hence I have constipation, Have 5g of flaxseed daily on my yoghurt, but today I feel so bad I’ve had 15g, hope that sorts it out. I drink 2.5 litres of water a day, plus black coffee , bovril for the salt and maybe 2 tea with skimmed milk. Although I’ve just bought some unsweetened almond milk to try!,
    I’ve been looking at the forums and diet doctor, but can’t see the answer.
    Please, if anybody can tell me how they get their fiber intake up while keeping the carbs under 30 please let me know. I don’t want to resort to beans! Perhaps I’ll have to.
    Sorry it’s a long boring post, Desperate Pod xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Pod – I use Inulin for fibre as it is almost carb free – although I had to introduce it quite slowly as it can cause explosive activity in the digestive system. I also have 15g of flaxseeds a day.

• posted by pod
    on

Thanks KrysiaD, I could certainly do with some sort of explosive activity!! I’ll have a look online for it!!

• posted by pod
    on

Interesting article. Take LESS fibre!! I can see the sense in it, so, I think I’ll start with Magnesium sulphate and see what happens!
    As a plus for the magnesium, it may help with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which I have. If that doesn’t work I’ll try inulin.
    One thought does occur to me, eat more fibre has been advocated for years, same as the low-fat message. How are we supposed to believe any of them.. I’m getting truly sceptical of these health guidelines, the more I read, and I’ve read a lot these last 9 weeks, the more sceptical and confused I get.
    So thanks, KrysiaD and LindaA, I feel much more positive I will get through this low point now!!
    P.S. I’ve drunk 3 litres of water today plus 4 coffee’s, I’m positively swimming!!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi pod
    I agree, what can we believe!
    Apparently the different magnesiums do different things and I had to specifically use the citrate before it did the trick.

Also, don’t forget that coffee is a diuretic, perhaps cut back a bit?

Let us know how you go with the magnesium sulphate.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by pod
    on

Hi Linda, I meant to say Magnesium Citrate, I obviously have lost my mind!
    Coffee is a hard thing for me to quit!! I have cut it down, I used to basically mainline it, the stronger the better.
    I have least halved my coffee consumption, must be all this blinking water!!!

• posted by Mariet
    on

I didn’t post my week 9 results yesterday because I was sulking 😕 300g down, still just above that exasperating 68kg. When I think how thrilled I was to get into the 68s a few weeks ago I realise I am being very impatient! So sticking with it, keep drinking water and moving and at least it’s downwards.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- mid week already and been good all week! Keep having words with myself that I am doing well and need to up my game snd excercise more- this is my biggest down fall- I leave house just around now and get home 6.30-7pm then cook dinner and by the time I have done that and tidied up its 830 and then I’m thinking about showering and going bed!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Im exactly the same Chelle I find it hard to fit in any exercise around ‘real’ life – I leave quite early and get home around the same time as you. I’ve started getting up extra early to try to get a walk in before work but finding that I end up in bed earlier so still trying to find those extra hours to get other things done including the walking. I’ve switched over to the 5:2 so it is very important that I get some more exercise. Although one thing is great lost a pound since Monday – not sure if it was the very high calorie intake over the weekend i.e 1600 to 2000 calories and then low calories last two days that perhaps kick started the body into losing again (have been ‘stalled’ last couple of weeks) going to try 1000 – 1200 for the rest of the week and see where it leaves me next Monday. I’ve been reading about re-feeding once a week so that the body doesn’t get used to existing on very low calories so I’m kinda thinking of doing this for a while I’m still avoiding all processed carbs but carb/calorie intake higher as I’m eating a lot more veg. I hope my little experiment works 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.