20th Feb Starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pettip
    on

Apple, you did really well to resist chocolate.

On Monday, I bought some bournville for my daughter’s food tech. They were on offer at 3 for ยฃ1 so I bought 6. She only needed 5. I was so hungry after breakfast and lunch that I ate the last one! Normally I shun dark chocolate of any description, but my taste buds have changed after being on this diet for 4 weeks, and I savoured every mouthful, and was satisfied. Not put any weight on thankfully, and I now realise that a 45g chocolate bar is actually quite large – before this diet I could have eaten a full 6 pack of chocolate and still wanted more. The good thing is I didn’t give up and have a blowout like on previous diets. I just went over that day by 240 calories (1 x 45g bar of bournville) and started again the following day.

It’s by no means been plain sailing since, but this way of eating has been satisfying my tastebuds and I haven’t had any cravings since. Loving lentil and spinach daal and beetroot falafels. I bought some butchers Lincolnshire sausages and am really looking forward to having these tonight with some veg. It’s high in calories at 150 calories a sausage, but it’s full of nice ingredients at almost 90% pork meat. There’s not always time to cook from scratch so it’s fab that I can have these for convenience.

Hope everyone has a successful diet day.

• posted by pettip
    on

I officially started on 13 Feb but that thread has gone quiet. I hope you don’t mind me joining you.

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

The more the merrier pettip welcome!

• posted by Apple
    on

Jump aboard pettip – we talk to anyone ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m with you on loving the lentil and spinach Dahl but I fiddled the recipe a bit. We have a smaller version of it using 34g dried red lentils per person and leave out the yogurt. I tend to add peppers and mangetout to pad it out and serve it with tandoori marinated chicken. OH loves it and if my carbs are low enough I can sneak a poppadom on the plate too -bonus! I eat gluten free so tend to cook from scratch but I do cook in bulk to a certain extent. If we have mince it will be one pan of chilli and one pan of Bolognese cooking at the same time and I tend to cook a roast with a bigger joint so the left over meat can be chucked in a stir fry the day after. Because I do most of the cooking my OH is eating the BSD meals (with chips or bread to bulk it up) either he eats what I’ve made or he cooks for himself so funnily enough he’s taking the easy option! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hello all and welcome pettip!
    I’m with you on the damage limitation, for years I’ve beat myself up if I’d not been 100% perfect on that day then I’d binge eat for the rest of the week which was always written off until Monday morning again, piling more and more weight on. Was my circle of life for a long time – now I’m feeling more positive – don’t get me wrong I’m still not a 100% every day but I think I am more in control with this diet and I do think that’s down to cutting the carbs and not having the massive highs and lows from the sugar. And of course the support on the forums really help with focus and reality that we aren’t all perfect all the time.
    I was reading something last night and this guy was speaking about his previous low cal diet and how it always made him “hangry” – both hungry and angry all the time – made me chuckle and sympathise lol – he changed his life around following a low carb diet and is no longer “hangry” ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Made some really good choices today, and feeling good apart from some hot flushes which are just a part of my life at the moment.

Tonight should be okay so I hope to finally chalk up a weight loss soon!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Hangry!!!! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ that used to be me!
    Well I’ve face the conference in London the whole buffet was carbs, carbs and more carbs!!! I’ve eaten my boiled eggs and an apple! Can’t believe I’ve done it! Never been so determined- thanks to you all too your comments really help and motivate me x

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- been good again today- over carbs but under calories, even with a mini Tim tam!

Been drinking loads of water- hoping that I can beat my cheese cravings lol

Hope yiu have all been good today ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by kv87170
    on

Oh Chelle, I love my cheese too much so am incorporating it into my daily plan. I just had 35g of lovely goats cheese!

• posted by kv87170
    on

I must be going something right as the machine thing at David Lloyd Leisure Centre says my visceral fat level is now 5 and my metabolic age is 38 (I’m 44)! Woo hoo…Feeling good!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

That’s fab news!

I am incorporating cheese- just not everyday! I could seriously just much on cheese every time I go to the fridge-

I gave taught myself to take what I need out the fridge all in one go and then put it all back together, that way I don’t have to go in and out and be tempted lol!

• posted by Mariet
    on

That’s a good idea Chelle. I think I’ll copy that.
    I had a delicious camembert that was calling to me whatever I was so I used it all in a soup, supposed to be broccoli and stilton but I made broccoli and camembert. Its delicious! I take it to work so I get a fix every dayโ˜บ

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Happy Friday and happy paddys day all!

Today I could have been going to cheltenham races on an all expenses paid vip trip- however as I work for public sector not allowed to accept corporate gifts so had to turn it down! Would have been amazing but also a carb and cal blow out so I suppose it’s a blessing in disguise! Lol

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

As you slide down the bannister of life, May the splinters never point the wrong way! Happy St Patrick’s Day everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mariet
    on

Ok so NSV my OIH ,whom I don’t live with and whom I’ve not told about this WOE told me tonight that he noticed that I’m wearing jeans that I haven’t worn for 8 years! He’s interested in learning more having been diagnosed as prediabetic (18 months ago! Kept it a secret from me!!) I’m giving him my BSD book and hoping for the best. He was far more receptive than I would have expected. He has already cut out sugar so hopefully not too big a leap fort him. Fingers crossed!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Ok so I was lost at NSV, what is a OIH but I recognise WOE. Are you texting your messages, please translate for little ‘old’ me.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Soooo pleased you said that sunshine-girl, because I too was feeling way out of my depth with this modern text-speak!

I look forward avidly to a translation – although, like you, I did manage WOE ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

NSV is non scale victory

OIH I am guessing is a typo and should be OH for other half?

Today was a real test at work- there was a left over buffet from a big meeting- the excitement in the office is great at a left over buffet! It was left in the kitchen and I watched the herds go grab- I just topped up my water bottle! Victory!

Dunno what I fancy for t- got nothing planned- must think of something!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

For dinner OH popped into m&s- they had 3 meals for ยฃ10- he rung me asking what I wanted- made him go through everything they had a read the back! Ended yo with a chicken and red wine casserole- 211g and 10.2g carb, bit too salty for my liking, never really liked salt but my fault for not being bothered to cook

Anyway- sat doing my fitness pal diary – going this is great- I’m under cals and carbs- but then I was like wait a minute no milk, oh hang on did I eat my apple at lunch? Really didn’t remember- checked lunch bag – no apple- crap gone over carbs as had squash soup! Might had to start making tomato and red pepper instead of squash- I love it and it is filling but it’s sooo high in carbs ๐Ÿ™

Still ended 763 cels but 70g carbs mainly made up on 19g of an apple ! Why oh why do I love fruit so much send why does it have to be so high in carbs ๐Ÿ™ lol

I shouldn’t be do harsh on myself as I’m eating well but feel my over carbs stops the weight loss- I really shouldn’t beat myself up but I’m loving this new lifestyle choice and I’m determined to change for life

• posted by Mariet
    on

Sorry, Should have been OH for other half’, non scale victory and way of eating. Shouldn’t post from my phone late at night! Actually early morning, didn’t get to bed until 3.

I’m going to a 50th birthday party tonight, it’s at a pub so full of potential pitfalls. I’m driving so unlikely to overdo the alcohol but I’m a bit concerned about the food on offer. Oh well I suppose it’s only one night but I haven’t had any white stuff for nearly 4 weeks and I don’t want to open the floodgates even a smidgeon.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Well done everyone! We are so on it!
    I went out for st Patrick’s night but drove and ate before I went!! It killed me but I didn’t eat anything- I just try to drown in water!!! I can’t believe we have passed the halfway mark!
    We are amazing๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

To me this isn’t just 8 weeks it’s a whole lifestyle change- I’ve read other forums where people have stopped after 8 weeks and then kick themselves for putting all back on- I don’t see the point- this is all about changing a life time of habits and reprogramming your brain!

I thought I would miss carbs and stodgy things but I don’t and I no longer have a gurgling tummy and bloated from it- yes I have had some bread, in the form of bacon sandwiches but I’ve counted for these and have managed to work the rest of the calories around these- I have bits of dark chocolate but in moderation but have cut out sweets – I could easily eat a bag of haribo or giant buttons!

My OH announced this morning that he’s now back into his old 34″ jeans! He’s been eating what I cook but has mash or chips- he’s just but down on his biscuits and chocolate bars- but then let’s slip he went to McDonald’s for lunch! How do men a,ways lose weight quicker and why don’t men get love handles?

• posted by Apple
    on

I’m planning on sticking to this until my holiday in May, which will probably be a 2 week full on blow out ๐Ÿ™‚ I have another 9 weeks to get some weight shifted and then I’ll be back on it once I return. I really need to lose about 5 stone and I’m only 4lb down so far but I have a feeling that weight loss total will increase after Mondays weigh in. I decided I’d increase carbs to 60g this week to allow more fruit but I have still ended up below 50g carbs per day. It has been lovely to include apples and pears though ๐Ÿ™‚ It also gives me some wiggle room if I hit another plateau down the line.

Happy Saturday to everyone and roll on Monday ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by kv87170
    on

Ahhh…Kicking myself…Just succumbed to a piece of Victoria Sponge!!! OMG, it tasted so sweet! Having a tough afternoon with my Autistic son and I took solace in the cake! Back to plan this evening after the blip! Lucky I did a high intensity aerobic class this morning so I’m hoping I haven’t done too much sugar damage! Weekends are so challenging without the structure of during the weekday.

• posted by pettip
    on

Thanks for being so welcoming everyone!

kv87170 well done for having just one slice of cake. Victoria sponge is my achilles heel. I would have had to eat another slice. No one’s allowed to make it in my house, or anything else that i really like. It’s amazing how cleaned up our taste buds become following this WOE.

Apple, I too feel that increasing my carbs a little could be the way to go. My almost non existent weight loss this week could do with a restart.

I’m with you Chelle1981, this is really a lifestyle change. I’m going to have to work a bit more on my main meals in order to get my brood to eat Low Carb Med. Diabetes runs in my side of the family, so i’ll be doing my children a favour. Must find a way to disguise the spinach in lentil and spinach daal, etc. OH likes whatever I make and must have his bread, pasta, rice or potatoes in addition, to fill him up.

Keep at it everyone, and roll on Monday.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

I have been very naught tonight and had 2 huge glasses of red- I was band on target- now 400cals over-! I’m a demon with wine! Back on it tomoz

• posted by Mariet
    on

So, yesterday after my night out of Friday I woke up feeling fine but as the day went on I felt dreadful, nauseated, bloated, achy. So bad I couldn’t go to the 50th birthday party. I thought I was coming down with something but fine today and I’m wondering if it was a reaction to the alcohol on Friday night. I stuck to 30g carbs but 12 was from wine ๐Ÿ˜ฒ I never got Carb flu at the beginning but might have been? I don’t think it was a hangover (sadly I have lots of experience! ) and I only had 4 glasses over a7 hour period with water between each. Bit of a bummer if so. I don’t fancy going through that again. It was the first time in the 4 weeks I’ve had more than one glass and that is only 2ce a week compared with daily before.

Shame, but as someone here said, nothing tastes as good as thin feels so it looks like one is my new normal ๐Ÿ˜•

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Four weeks ago we took control of our lives and congratulations to all who have made it to the halfway mark – It does not seem four weeks have gone so fast. I’m starting to find this lifestyle change not too hard at all except on weekends ๐Ÿ™‚ and this was a 3 day weekend for me – so wasn’t expecting too big a loss – yep still not in the habit of lots of water at weekends and not doing enough walking either but hopefully that is something over time I will get the habit of. So weigh in today is at 81.15 – starting weight was 88.2 so am nearly at the 10% of start weight (15 1/2 lbs – I won’t complain). Three inches from waist – my belly button has actually moved up – not hanging down amongst all the belly fat – and I got a few comments last week so it must be showing. Going to try to up my game this week and get a bit more movement in. Roll on week 5!

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Hey well done I’m feeling a bit flat no weight loss this week and I’ve stuck to it 100% not sure why- I’ve had a headache all weekend and feeling cold and tired!!
    Will keep going as I know I feel loads better usually! Can’t believe it’s been a month!
    Keep going everyone c x x

• posted by Apple
    on

Morning all and happy weigh day!

Hellyshear I feel your pain ๐Ÿ™ I have lost 1.5lb this week which is ok but that means we’re now entering week 5 and my total loss to date is only 5.5lb. I know I am a slow loser thanks to the dodgy thyroid but I must admit I expected a much bigger loss than this. Not only have I been eating very carefully but I’ve also started walking 3miles each morning so I feel like I’m putting an awful lot of effort in for small results. That said, when I tried weight watchers I actually gained weight as the amount they wanted me to eat equates to your size rather than your snail pace metabolism ๐Ÿ™‚

So here we are at the start of week 5…. I wanted to lose at least a stone these first 8 weeks but I will have to accept that half a stone will be more realistic…unless some magic can happen in 3 weeks? ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Morning all – I’ve had a naughty weekend with 2 large glasses of wine Saturday night, went out for breakfast yesterday, I had scrambled egg and mushrooms and tomato Nd then a slice and a half of whole meal bread!

A then didn’t eat lunch and made roast chicken carrots and broccoli for dinner.

not too off the rails- not drunk enough water either- I’m at home today but raining outside so need to be good!

I too cannot believe we are half way- I am proud I have stuck with and although I am not following 100% I am calorie counting everything that I eat- this to me has been a god send to show how easily it was for me to gorge on calories before dinner- eating a bit of cheese, biscuits or bread, having an extra large portion a dinner and then wonder why I’m fat! Lol

Happy Monday all- onwards and upwards- losing weight takes on average 10 days to catch up with you so those who don’t have a loss may hopefully get a bigger one next week

• posted by kv87170
    on

Happy half way mark everyone! Weigh-in for me so far:
    20 Feb 73.6kg
    27 Feb 71.3kg
    6 Mar 70.7kg
    13 Mar 70.1 kg
    20 Mar 68.6kg
    I’ve lost a total 5kg (11lb) so far and 3.5 inches off my waist.
    If I can loose another 5kg over the next four weeks I’ll be super happy.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Welcome to week 5 everyone! Hollyshear and Apple, how well I know that feeling of being so good for little reward. e know this WILL work but it’s so hard when the scales don’t reflect our hard work. Have you measured? There might be a change there.

My weigh in for 4 weeks completed and 1.2kg down which I’m happy with. In stones I have lost just over 1 stone in 4 weeks, faster than I’ve ever last before. I measured as well and this week it was my thighs’ turn to join the party, 2 inches off. Other measurements unchanged but still fitting into smaller clothes so don’t know how that works.

Congratulations to everyone on hanging in there!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Hellyshear
    Try upping your salt and fat intake and lowering your carbs a tad. The salt should get rid of the headaches and increasing your fat and reducing your carbs will kick start the weight loss again. Also make sure you’re drinking heaps of water. Try for at least 3 litres a day.
    Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by pettip
    on

Some good losses this week. Fab stuff! Feel for those who are sticking at it and seeing little results.

I’m actually at the end of week 5 and started week 6 today. Yesterday I was hungry enough to eat my hand, and seriously thought about going on to maintenance, but I managed to stay on plan. I’m hoping to get my bmi down to under 23 (23.8 today) by the end of the diet to reduce my risk of getting diabetes after the shock that I was pre diabetic. Shed 1lb this week. I’ve had relatively big losses over the last couple of weeks so I’m happy with that.

My teenage daughters are keen for me to do 30 Day Shred DVD with them! I’m not so keen as I’ve done it before and it was really challenging. My body changed quite dramatically though. Perhaps I’ll stick with yoga and running for now and after these 8 weeks are up I’ll do the DVD with low carb med version of the fast beach diet, which is essentially the 5:2 version of this diet, for 6 weeks – to lose those last few stubborn pounds. There’s a printable online planner and it incorporates exercise too. After that, hopefully maintenance.

I tried out a new recipe I found online for dinner tonight. Twas delish! Under 400 calories. It is called “Just like Loaded Baked Potatoes” and uses cauliflower instead of potato. A little indulgent as it uses cheese and soured cream, but today I needed it. I served it in half a red pepper. Lettuce leaves would be a great accompaniment.

• posted by Keid
    on

Morning! Had a wobbly few days with being invited out for dinner and it was a set meal so no chance to choose anything lower carb. I didn’t eat the mini cheesecake pudding but I did have three glasses of wine and some of the potatoes! Oops. Sadly a gain of 2lb to work off this week but I’m back on track. Only lost 5lb total with my two week plateau – hoping for more in the next few weeks! X

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

So weighed myself this morning again (yes i’m one of those who weigh every day) and scales were up – no reason, no rhyme to it – just up. Not disappointed as I know we are not machines, our bodies react whether it is food, environment or mother nature and as long as I don’t go back to the way I was eating five weeks ago which gave me the T2 diagnosis in the first place is a good thing. So those of you a little disheartened by losing slower than others – hey be PROUD – you’ve taken the first step of changing your life forever. And we all win, as we are on a path to healthy eating – and thinking before we just put ‘fuel’ into our bodies. That to me is the real win of this ‘diet’ and as long as we continue to re-think what we are eating is a great thing. And when things get tough as they often do – I just visit the site and get inspiration from all of those who have done this before us – and take heart in that they all go through the same ups n downs – Have a great day all ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Thanks Linda
    I have done that today I had a handful of almonds!!
    I think I’ve got a virus as I’m still having shivers and a headache- my daughter had too!!
    I’m eating out for the first time on Thursday- pub food! Any ideas????

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hollyshear, c an you check out the menu online and choose options beforehand? So your not rushed into a choice? I’ve eaten out 5 or 6 times over the 4 weeks and found that helped . Ask for veges instead of chips, grilled fish is good. Drinks are tricky unless you like sparking water. I’ve never been a fan but resorted to it at a pub and found it surprisingly satisfying. Good luck โ˜บ

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ve had a variety of BSD friendly pub meals, ranging from simple steak and salad to a gourmet goat cheese cauliflower risotto with poached duck egg and parmesan crisp that was truly awesome (although not 800 calorie friendly, the risotto was very creamy and rich). Superfood salads are usually a bit carby, with quinoa etc. If there isn’t anything perfect on the menu another option is to pick two starters, which often have less carbs. I almost always stick to soda water with a slice of lemon or lime in pubs, most don’t even charge for it.

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

So last night we went to book our wedding cars- all very exciting- however by the time we left the place it was 830pm, we hadn’t eaten, was soooooo naughty and went yo Pizza Hut- full blow out on a Texas bbq pizza!

Been back on it today and actually been extra good and an actually 200 cals under!

Had yoghurt and fruit- was training today do didn’t actually eat until 1130! Lunch was some rocket, cherry tomatoes, pickled onions and 2 slices of ham with 2 large strawberries chopped up

Dinner I made a big chicken and tinned tomatoe bsvked with mushroom, pepper and broccoli topped with mozzarella ( just end up leftover chicken from Sunday) enough to do us another 2 nights! Really filling and low in cals and carbs- was a meal on its own so haven’t eaten anything else

Also made soup for weds Thursday and Friday lunches- so at least I have food prepped got next couple of days and can try and maintain the damage of yesterday!

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Jps- where are you- I’m winning on the naughty step! Hope you have been good x

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Hellyshear
    Whenever I’m at a pub for a meal I just pick the steak and salad, no carbs, extra salad please and no dressing! Drink wise, it’s always sparkling water with real lemon or lime (got caught out once when they put lime cordial in it and I had to give that one away!).
    If anyone asks (which they usually don’t), I get the opportunity to preach BSD to them and they learn to stop asking!
    Let us know what you end up eating.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by pettip
    on

I had a bit of a wobble yesterday. A friend at work told me some terrible news that I just couldn’t digest. Then I had to come home from work to cook for the 7 of us with arguing boys etc etc. It all got too much and I ate a huge dinner which took my calories to 1150. On top of that I succumbed to a few fried chips and a bite of ciabatta. OH caught me and told me off. All the leftover refined carbs went promptly in the bin! For some reason i’ve still managed to shed 1lb! Very lucky. Back on it today.

• posted by Hellyshear
    on

Pettit you CAN do it! Emotional eating is so familiar with so many of us ๐Ÿ˜ซ

But you’re back on it well done x x I wieghed today as I was fed up on Monday but today I’m down by 2lbs โค๏ธ

We can do it! We are all doing so well thanks Linda I will report back tomorrow on the pub food choices- I’m driving which really helps

• posted by pettip
    on

Thanks Hellyshear. 2lb off, that’s really fab!

Today has been hormonally charged. I succumbed to a slice of bread and butter and some shortbread cookie dough – and felt very sick! My taste buds have most definitely changed for the better. Well, lesson learned. I may have put a pound on but i’m not weighing again until my hormones are back to normal.

• posted by Keid
    on

Yay. I’ve lost the 2lb I gained over the weekend! So 7lb total, with a plateau of 2.5 weeks, I’m quite happy with that. Apparently as I do quite a lot of exercise this can make loss a bit slower. My husband is slowly getting on board with lower carb meals which makes dinners etc easier as I’m not making carby thing to tempt me! NSV for me this week, I went to out local shop with the children. Picked up some chocolate for me – thought about it – and put it back! Was proud of myself!

• posted by kv87170
    on

Sorry if this is TMI but if anybody is having trouble in the regularity of going to the toilet I was recommended on one of the Facebook BSD forums to take Magnesium Citrate tablets. OMG, it works and I’m now going daily! ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

That is so good, not saying I understand 100% but I’ve just changed the settings on MFP and it looks great. I’ve been doing a bit better than I thought. Can I also ask you what sort of level do you try to keep your sugar down to?
    Thank you very much
    Jane

• posted by Chelle1981
    on

Hey all- been good the last couple of days- today I had 2 cookies when I fit home- not going to beat myself up too much- i have decided that sometimes if I have a craving then so be it- but to limit it and have the will power- not biscuits everyday- life is too short so need to find the middle road- lamb chops for dinner

Please log in or register to post a reply.