1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you for those kind words Wendy1947.
    Looking back this year has been full of stress with one thing and another so I should not be surprised I am
    struggling with a lot of things mainly this way of eating. Will have another look at the books and give myself a
    pep talk. Although today has been one of the better ones for a long time.
    Weigh day tomorrow but not expecting anything drastic to happen….certainly not lost I am sure.
    Now got MM new book so will have a look at that in the next few days and hopefully I can pick up tips for
    sleeping all night. Perhaps I need to read about mindfulness and put it into practice.
    Hope your sore throat and cold are getting better Wendy1947. I have only been to the IOW when I was a young single
    girl. Perhaps another visit could go on the agenda for us. How fantastic bright pink m&s trousers. Well done.

Internet vibes and (((hugs)))) to those who need them.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Home after a few days away with a few lovely walks. Don’t know what my weight is as its weigh day tomorrow. I have not been able to drink much water during the day because of going out and needing the toilet:-/ Anyway, what I wanted to tell you I saw someone has written about cooking a whole cauli in the oven brushed with oil. Not sure on which thread and by whom. But I have cooked half a cauli for dinner tonight brushed over with olive oil with a small sprinkling of cheese added and two rashers of bacon. Oh wow….I loved it and will have it again.

I really need to get some more weight off and I am a bit deflated with it all. But still determined it will go but it is taking such a long time.

Hope everyone is well.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh that sounds yum Fairyface!
    I have just been told I have cataracts & my optician was worried I had high blood pressure because of a couple of occasions of blood shot eyes, ie red eye!, & diabetes! But hurray my husband blood tested me this morning after fasting & my bloods are 4.7 so I have a full blood test to do now & my GP complimented me on losing 1 & 1/2 stone since he last saw me & having a BMI of 28 now & my blood pressure is normal! So hurrah for the Blood Sugar Diet.
    I still have ideally a couple of stone to lose but at least my GP recognises my progress. My eyes will continue to deteriorate no doubt until I eventually have to gave surgery but age onset cataracts can be sorted & at least I know now why I don’t like cars driving towards me after dark & have more difficulty seeing things in the distance at dusk. By the way I no longer drive at night & this view is as a passenger! It’s most annoying getting older but I battle on.
    Hope everyone else is OK? I’m off for a couple of weeks on holiday to Cornwall & Dorset & have just had a glass of wine & a brandy with my de-caffeinated coffee๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜ŽSo putting it politely stuff everything & with the election the UK is going to pot!!
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyone.

I might have mentioned one of the ways I cook cauliflower. I drizzle oil on it and them sprinkle it with curry spices and then roast it. It’s delicious I love it with any type of curry and prefer it to cauliflower rice.
    Sorry to hear about your cataracts Wendy but everything will be fine after the op to remove them. I know what you mean about the ageing process. I have been struggling with menopause symptoms over the last few months. The night sweats were very disruptive and lack of sleep was giving me severe brain fog. I was waking twice a night to change pj’s during the night. However I have discovered sage tablets and they are working a treat with night and day sweats. I feel like my old self again. I do think BSD helps with the menopause. Perhaps this way of eating is easier on the digestive system.
    I have been working on my allotment and have started to harvest lettuce, spring onions and strawberries. My courgette plants are doing well. I am hoping for a good courgette harvest as I now eat so many of them on BSD.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    MIss Ziggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunday 25th June 2017
    Back from a lovely holiday in Cornwall & Dorset & a gain in weight for me of 7.5 lbs, my husband of 2lbs & a high blood sugar today so back to the Blood Sugar Diet regime with a vengeance. We also had the worry of my husband bashing his leg whilst we were at The Eden Project & a simple graze becoming infected after a week of not healing! Three hospital visits later it’s healing well & thank goodness without having to resort to antibiotics! So back to reality with a bump after in our second week at the Dorset cottage being welcomed with Dorset Lardy Cake, an iced Coffee & Walnut cake, a loaf of white bread & a bottle of wine!๐Ÿ™€ What were we to do throw it all out? Well half the cakes & a third of the bread was eaten & the birds got the rest. I must admit though having discovered Dorset Apple cake that could easily become included in my diet๐Ÿ˜‚
    What is odd is that we walked a lot & that may have mitigated things a little but having lunch out most days just highlighted what poor low carb food choices are available even at National Trust restaurants!!
    Oh well back on the bandwagon & we are going grocery shopping with the BSD cookery book firmly in the forefront of my mind for meal planning ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi everyone ๐Ÿ‘Hope you’re journeys are going well xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Nickix, I am still here. Still mainly plodding along with the woe.
    Just arrived home today after 9 days away in our motorhome.
    Lots of walking and relaxing. Had four of our grandchildren with us over the weekend and found myself wandering over to what I cooked for them. Not worried about what I have eaten over the past four days as tomorrow is another day. Even managed to walk over 10,000 steps most days and actually did over 18,000 one one day. So pleased with myself as I could not have done 800 this time last year. Not weighed for two weeks now but will hop on the scales in the morning. Hope everyone is well.

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi Fairyface glad your still around. Feels very lonely here at moment. Ive still tried to stick but definitely not doing the water which I should but been poorly for the last couple of weeks with a horrible virus. So tired at mo. I had to be weighed at my hospital appointment and I’ve put on about 6 kilos! So disappointed ๐Ÿ˜” definitely got to get back on horse but it’s hard when others aren’t around xx hubby was so proud but he doesn’t understand. Can’t understand why I can’t share a pie with him!! ๐Ÿ˜† So proud of you Fairyface carrying on you’ve been so good and so inspirational xx we know this works and at least you’ve kept the faith xx does anyone else belong to the Facebook page? It’s good but not as good as having you guys around xx keep it up Fairyface and love to you and all xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello
    I’m still around & back from a long weekend at my husbands Sheffield University centenary do & also staying with his cousin meeting other family. I have gained a pound with all the wine I drank but trying to get back on track because July has been hopeless with losing much weight. I have been reading The Pioppi Diet that is written by an eminent British cardiologist & gives up to date research supporting a low carb/sugar way of eating as well other very helpful recommendations & highly recommend it.
    We are still following a combination of 5:2 & the blood sugar diet & taking kefir to help our good gut bacteria. I still need to lose two more stone but I suppose am concentrating on healthy eating & recent blood tests show I am very well. My husband has now maintained his weight loss since last November sins losing his excess weight with the BSD! I just keep plodding on still trying to get down to my goal weigh!
    Let’s all keep going & posting when we can?
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks, Lovely to see you Wendy 1947 and Nickix. Thank you also for your kind words. How lovely you have said I am an inspiration. I appreciate it. I feel a bit ashamed I don’t contribute more but hey ho thats me. I love reading, when I can, about how people are doing on the other threads but I do find it overpowering to keep up and reply to them. We have been away to our caravan because my husband has had to do some maintenance. I have done lots of knitting but unfortunately I have hurst my back. I really don’t know how but the gp has said my disc could have moved and trapped a nerve. I am really restricted to what I can do.
    Anyway. Still keeping to the principals of this way of eating but have had a few strawberries and thick cream most evenings after dinner. Been on the scales this morning and for the life of me cannot remember what I weigh only that I have put 300g on. Certainly not going to worry about it. On a more positive note, hair and nails now seem to have improved as the bathroom, kitchen and fridge are not covered in hair:-/ and my nails are not splitting. So that to me is the thyroxine is now working. I just hope it starts to help kick in some weight loss now.
    Hubby has just gone out shopping as we have planned what we are having for a few days, bless him. We were only saying we cannot imagine going back to how we were eating before. But if we go out for a meal and fancy a potato or two thats what we will have. No big deal. We both feel well and looking back on photographs we feel we look better. I am buying clothes and being interested in what I am buying instead of saying it will do.
    Anyway as others say keep on keeping on.
    Best wishes to you all.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Everyone,

Well I am still around too. I hate to have to say it but I have been off BSD for about two months. โ˜น๏ธโ˜น๏ธโ˜น๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ฅ. I think my failure coincided with a holiday to Crete which gave me a taste for carbs again. I have also been drinking more wine than I should. My allotment has produced loads of fruit and spuds and I have been making the most delicious cakes etc using blue berries and raspberries. The result is my work uniform is tight again and my bras etc. I have also been struggling with the worst menopause hot flushes over the last few months that has made me feel quite low.
    I have now sorted out the flushes with sage supplements and feel great and have been off work for twelve days just relaxing and having lovely days out with my husband. Over the past few months I haven’t felt great and have felt so sluggish eating the old way again. SO…..with all this I’m mind tomorrow I will begin again like its 1st OCtober 2016. Anyone out there care to join me? Yesterday my husband cleaned and serviced my bike and I have promised him I will cycle every afternoon to the allotment after work weather permitting. Hopefully I can make my taste buds adjust again just as I did last year. The good news is I still find vanilla ice cream too sweet (I prefer cream) and I hate regular sliced bread! But I still love French bread๐Ÿ™. My new aim it to continue to October 1st just as it’s a memorable BSD date.
    I hope all of you that are part of this thread have faired better than I did!

MIss ZIggy….*i feel motivated again*๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Miss Ziggy — good to see your name again! And double good you’re back on the straight and narrow (the BSD!๐Ÿ˜œ)
    I think your experiences might have been helpful because now you know that you don’t feel as good eating non-BSD friendly foods so you will be all the wiser for it.
    Also, my hot flashes finally disappeared when I got into about the fourth week of BSD and they have not come back since March 2016 — I had been absolutely plagued by the nasty things for YEARS — all day every day — but they responded to BSD eating — I would love to see a study on this — hot flashes can be debilitating!
    Anyway, you are going to be feeling well very quickly. That might be one of the best reasons to stay BSD forever!

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Californiagirl…Thanks for your support.

DAY ONE and the first day now over and completed eating all BSD๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐ŸปPHEWWW!!
    One day at a time…..one foot In front of the other.๐Ÿ˜„

MIss ZIggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hello hello hello…….Californiagirl and Miss Ziggy…..lovely to see you again.
    Can I join in please? Keeping to the principals as they seem to be well bedded into daily life, although cream and clotted cream has crept into our daily foods. Would love to support and be supported again only thing is we are going on a big road trip starting on the 2nd September and won’t be home until the end of October. Its in the plan to take our scales so we can weigh in weekly as much as is possible and our chart to keep track. We will possibly be away for 8 weeks if all is well at home and with us but we have decided if we want to come home before we will. Hopefully my back will be better and I will be able to walk as at the moment I am struggling to walk about our house and garden:-/ I am not going to take my computer on our journey but will have my iPad and phone so if I can I will log in.
    I feel so motivated now you are both here. Hope some others decide to come along.

Onwards and downwards……….hopefully.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Fairyface,
    It’s so good to see you. That road trip sounds great.๐Ÿ™‚The more the merrier! its just nice to know we are all in this together.
    I look forward to hearing from you while you are away if possible๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
    MIss Ziggy

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi everyone so glad to see you all back. I admit I’ve been reading your posts but haven’t replied cause I’ve felt so bad about myself didn’t want to put it on you all. But you’re all so motivating and i was going to start with you all this week but today after I’d had a bacon sandwich for lunch i felt so crap that I thought you know you’ve got to do this for yourself and you all support each other so get on it before instead of wallowing! So I hope you’re ok but I’m coming along on this incredible journey! I’ve got some chops on and veg out of garden and it’ll be one meal at a time. What I can’t understand is my favourite thing is the bircher! But never seen to do it! Must be going mad! But yeah we all have an off day but with our great gang we can all do it! I think maybe this time I’m going to put my weight on so that i can own it and take account for my actions! So well done everyone for what you’ve achieved so far and lets keep on going down love to all xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Nickix. We can all do it together I am sure.
    Thanks Miss Ziggy. Will do my best whilst away.
    I was so hungry again yesterday I could have eaten my left arm off again. Luckily hubby went out to do some shopping and
    bought some double cream. It filled a great big gap in my tum having a coffee with double cream….
    Another hurdle is slowly coming to the for. Sister in law has invited us for a meal on Saturday evening. She has asked does she need
    to cook to our likes. We have told her to just do what she wants, we will eat anything now as we feel as though we are in control and will get right back to this woe on Sunday. I am so pleased to be able to say that.:-)

Dinner tonight was the salmon and coconut out of the recipe book. With stir fried veg. Made the pepper and butternut squash soup a couple of days ago but managed to burn the veg so there are a lot of black bits floating in the soup. Don’t think I will roast the veg in future I will just put it all in the pan. Good job I only made four portions. Better luck next time.

If you like beetroot soup I made it a few weeks ago. Not sure what the carb content was or calories but it was really nice.

Onwards and downwards folks.

• posted by PatC
    on

Hi everyone

I haven’t been on here for months ! Can I come back? I lost 10 lbs fairly quickly then we had a series of events in our family – my son was taken ill with guillame barre syndrome and in intensive care, my daughter had a baby girl, our best friend was diagnosed with supra nuclear palsy, I had a lot more childcare with three grandchildren, and then helping our son’s rehabilitation and I stopped living BSD and went back to eating rubbish – outcome weight back on, bloating, heartburn, indigestion, frequent chest infections, and really run down, I have felt very low. Then the emails began popping back in my box, I did a big shop with BSD ingredients and I am ready to go tomorrow, Patricia

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Pat and welcome back๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚it’s amazing just how rotten you feel when we go back to our old eating habits. I was the same. I felt great on BSD and gave up on it for a couple of months and suffered the same as yourself. SLuggish, bloating, IBS not to mention weight gain. This is my first week back and I am doing ok except for Friday when I went to the chilli festival and ate some vegetable pakoras and mango chutney. I am back on track now. Non BSD eating is so easy and BSD means being organised and prepared. You’ve been through a lot recently and it’s no wonder BSD went on hold.
    It’s good to see you back now and I love all the support I get on this forum.
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by PatC
    on

Miss Ziggy -! Thank you, I wasn’t whining, though it sounded that way it’s just life’s ups and downs isn’t it, but I felt SO wonderful when I lived BSD before and want to feel that way again, at the moment I feel fat, bloated, I still have a chest infection and I am getting very little sleep due to coughing, (yes I am whining! – ha ha! Tomorrow I will get on the scales again and see what the damage is, I am excited to come back and I agree the forum is our greatest strength, thanks for your support, Pat

• posted by PatC
    on

Oh my goodness, I have just read back a few pages, and seen what some of you have been going through, I am so very sorry.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Pat hello and welcome back. Good grief girl your poor son, what a horrid horrid illness to have. I worked on a ward years and years ago as an auxiliary and we had a couple of patients with the same illness. I do hope he makes a good recovery. Congratulations on your new granddaughter and I hope she brings you much joy and love. With everything you have had going on in your life its now wonder you have put yourself last. Thats what mums do.

Hubby and I went out for a meal last night and had a lovely evening. Back on it today. No weight lost but hey ho. Still trying and winning the battle slowly. I am just waiting for an MRI scan on my back as the gp has referred me to the hospital. It will have to be done when we get back from holiday, but my gp has mention a couple of times to make sure I have travel insurance. I just hope I can go and enjoy y holiday and get back home.

Hope everyone else is okay. Hugs to those who are struggling and hand hold to those who need it

• posted by PatC
    on

Morning Fairyface and forum – thank you for your kind words and yes how right you are that we put ourselves last, I have felt very run down with a nasty chest infection but you just get on with it don’t you, I felt so positive this morning getting up and being this way of eating again, I had for the first time in two weeks managed to get more than two hours sleep, I am still a bit weak and watery but have done some washing and cleaned the floors,I will wash my hair later, and begin to look after ME for a change, it’s just little things – the diet plan – my lungs feeling a little easier, a fair sleep – I got on the scales this morning and was amazed , when I started the woe on 1’oct with you all I was at my highest weight ever and I lost 11 lbs of that eleven I have gained 6lbs (I thought it was more) – so that was good because I have seriously eaten some rubbish, so I am looking forward to my meals from the recipe book, Thai red curry tonight, I don’t eat breakfast (I don’t have an appetite for it) but will eat that when the hunger pangs come in later in the day. I am going to start doing yoga with the television or my iPad again when I feel a bit better, and sign up for an art class in September – the things this woe does for you – ha ha x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello everyone
    Lovely to read posts from you all & so sorry to also hear about everyone’s ups & downs. I am back on the BSD bandwagon & also feel much better & more in control eating low carb. I am also continuing to look after my microbiome with having a daily kefir that I’m pleased to see is also now sold by Sainsbury’s & small delicious raspberry ones I like & cherry my husband likes in Waitrose. I gained weight whilst away for our wedding anniversary treat & have already lost 5 & 3/4lbs but still have 1 & 3/4 stone to lose to get to my goal weight so I continue to plod along going up & down every time I eat any carbs or wine!
    I think much other research now supports this way of eating particularly with the higher incidence of obesity & type 2 diabetes amongst younger people. Today is a fast day for us so a combination of 5:2 & BSD that we will continue but next weekend is our two granddaughters naming ceremony so a couple of days in a hotel & no doubt plenty of champagne & wine.
    We can do this & I hope you soon feel much better Pat!
    Margaret xxx

• posted by PatC
    on

Hi everyone, first day (I’ll just pretend it’s 1 October) over, stuck to plan- halloumi kebabs for lunch Thai red curry and cauliflower rice for dinner, feeling better and very positive, hope that lasts!

A bit hungry now just before going to bed, but have read the forum and all of your lovely messages, it’s a shame we don’t all live in the same area and could meet for coffee! How lovely that would be x

• posted by PatC
    on

Second day of my second time around, no problem though I fancied a glass of red with my pork loin chop with mustard and creme fraiche, also roasted some cauliflower florets – amazing! From the recipe book, I am just working through week one.

Sarah/carb addict are you still around – how are you?

Wendy I want to try the kefir – I will see if it’s available here (Sydney) – I am sure it will be

Take care everyone

• posted by PatC
    on

Hungry …

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Pat C…..
    ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by PatC
    on

Haha – so glad it made you laugh, I got the kefir and its mixed – doing what it does but whether that will fill me up … roll on dinner chorizo fish from the recipe book … still hungry! And I have the kefir to look forward to tomorrow, whoopie!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Ha ha & well done Pat๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚
    Kefir isn’t meant to fill you up just feed your microbiome but it does also help keep me regular if you know what I mean๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I still find coffee with a spoon of coconut oil helps hunger on my fast days & this week I am joining you on another fast day today & on Friday to make three trying to kickstart me back to “proper” BSD eating. Have you read The Prioppi Diet? it shows how & why fasting & low carb eating is good for us & is written by a cardiologist.
    I will have fish & mushy peas for supper so sort of higher protein & lower carb eating. Last night was spring onion & mushroom omelette with strawberries for pudding & a few left over crisps on the side๐Ÿ™
    I keep plodding on with some dips in will power & focus!!
    Margaret xx

• posted by PatC
    on

I had a glass of wine!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks. I hope those who have been poorly are feeling better now and those who are struggling a hug.
    Well we went away, should have been for a week or more but after arriving on Monday we had to come home on Tuesday as I was in tremendous pain. Anyway, an appointment has been made for a mrs at the end of the month and I have gone from one tablet a day to 14 a day! My poor kidneys:-/
    Diet wise we have just been eating as we normally do the BSD way. My weight has been up and down again. Weigh day tomorrow morning followed by our treat of the week a cooked breakfast. I am not going to get down about no weight loss. I firmly believe it will start to go down again when everything has settled.
    Onwards and downwards ladies.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Fairyface I hope you are feeling pain free & much better now.
    I am back on 800 calories a day with a vengeance & it seems to be working. It’s about twelve weeks to my 70th birthday & I want to be at my goal weight then since my summer target was not reached๐Ÿ™ I have 22lbs to lose to reach ten stone that is the higher end of my ideal weight range but that will do. At the moment I have been fitting in daily DVD workouts alternating toning & aerobics.
    Sorry for the delay in messaging I have been away yet again because last weekend was my granddaughters naming ceremony so wine etc & hotel food! My downfall is a glass of wine & I will plan in one with supper that will be a beef stir fry. I still find eating during the day totally rots up my appestat & having coffee with a spoon of coconut oil midday then my kefir mid afternoon seems to be keeping me on track. Weirdly exercising seems to also depress my appetite & I have rediscovered Jane Fonda excellent exercise DVDs for an oldie like me. The downside of losing weight when older is how revealing it is of my now wrinkly less elastic skin so I fear I’m going end up like a wrinkled prune๐Ÿ˜‚
    I hope you are all doing well๐Ÿ‘
    Margaret xx

• posted by Nickix
    on

hi howโ€™s everyone doing? xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Nickix,
    Nice to see this thread come up! Even though I joined a couple of days later and didn’t post a heap, I feel like this thread is my bsd home! I’ve been on and off the plan so much that I’m almost back to where I started weight wise but definitely eating so much better overall. Tomorrow I kickstart again in earnest.
    How are things with you? Are you still on plan? Hope you and all the others are doing well, would be lovely to hear where everyone is at xxx

• posted by Lisalanc
    on

Hi hope you donโ€™t mind me joining you, I started today as I wanted to make sure ok with it before going to work on Monday. Not been a bad day, been drinking loads (over 3 litres) and feeling a bit hollow now but not too bad. Iโ€™m 5โ€™5โ€โ€ and weigh 171 lbs hoping to get to 148lbs in 56 days. Iโ€™ve got a half marathon race on Saturday so might have to have a non fasting day the day before, but feeling determined to lose the weight. Iโ€™m planning on weighing in every day to keep me on track.
    Good luck everyone
    Thanks
    Lisa

• posted by Wanna_Be_ND
    on

Hello All!

-Joining Monday, Oct. 2nd
    -BSD 800 calorie diet
    -Goal – Promising research for 800 calorie diet reversing Type 2 diabetes (and fatty liver)
    -Grandmother, author, former teacher and IT executive
    -From USA
    -190.8 lbs (13 stone 8.8 lbs)
    -5’3″
    -Age 56
    -Mostly Vegan
    -Want to do Clever Guts, after this

Menu First Two Weeks (or anytime I can’t think of what else to eat):
    -Organic Food Bar Chocolate protein supplements (raw, vegan) 3x/day
    -Used in smoothies with 1 c. kale, 1/3 c. cantaloupe, 1/3 c. strawberries (all frozen)
    -Warm and savory/salty foods choices: Canned spinach, V-8 juice warmed up, Lipton chicken noodle cup o’ soup
    -Chewy foods: Salad with Lite Olive Garden dressing, celery, peppers

To stay low-carb, I may have to break down to eat organic, free range and low fat meat once I am ready to cook.

Would love some good ideas!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What’s in Lite Olive Garden dressing? I’d keep a keen eye on the ingredient list of anything labeled “Lite.” When they cut out the fat they often inject sugar in its place to make it taste like something again. This diet operates on the opposite principle. Also the noodles in the cup o’ should probably be off the menu. The first three ingredients on the list are egg noodles, maltodextrin and corn starch. Those are high GI white carbs. Canned and instant soups are troublesome in that way. The ingredient list of Lipton Cream of Chicken is even scarier. The first three ingredients contain a half-dozen forms of sugar, then there’s salt, then there’s plain-English sugar. There is literally no chicken on the list. None. Just chicken broth and chicken fat.

When you’re ready, making your Italian dressing takes no cooking whatsoever. You can do it in literally 3 minutes. Get a big bowl, the one you’re going to toss the lettuce and whatever else goes in your salad. Put the bowl on your kitchen scale and change the units to mls. Pour slowly in the bowl 6 ml of extra virgin olive oil. Add 3 ml red wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add dried Italian seasonings — oregano, parsley, garlic power, onion powder, basil, thyme — any number of them in any combination will work. Whisk it for a few seconds with the salad fork you’re going to use to eat it with. Add the salad veggies and then use the same fork to help you toss it and distribute the dressing thoroughly.

So are you subsisting entirely on smoothies, restaurant and convenience foods at the moment? That’s not something I’m adept at, I’m afraid. I’ve found making an accurate accounting of how many calories and carb grams I’ve eaten that day is impossible for me unless I weigh and measure everything. Do you have a daily carb intake limit in mind? From what I’ve seen on this forum, vegans and vegetarians often raise their carb limits quite high because they depend on legumes for protein. The BSD can still work for them, but I think probably more slowly.

Good ideas that just happen to work in tandem with Clever Guts as well as your need to keep food prep to a minimum: kimchi, sauerkraut, kosher dill pickles and miso. The key is that they all must be raw, naturally fermented and unpasteurized. The stuff you find in the regular markets is not. Seek out the organic markets, farmers markets, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc., or order online. I recently tried Real Pickles’ Red Cabbage sauerkraut and it was a revelation. http://www.realpickles.com/product/organic-red-cabbage/ . Gold Mine makes fantastic garlic sauerkraut and kimchi. http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/Sauerkraut-Kimchi/products/61/. This miso they carry is great too. http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/OHSAWA-YAMAKI-ORGANIC-2-YR-SOYBEAN-MISO-1-LB/productinfo/0407-1001/, as its cousin http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/OHSAWA-ORGANIC-GLUTEN-FREE-HATCHO-MISO-12-OZ/productinfo/0418-1000/ . You can make your own miso soup very quickly by adding a teaspoon to a mug of water you boiled up in a minute the microwave. It’s basically instant.

• posted by Wanna_Be_ND
    on

Thanks for the great Clever Guts suggestions, Esnecca! Did you get to do the Clever Guts testing? How is the program working for you so far?

My responses will follow your questions.

– – -“So are you subsisting entirely on smoothies, restaurant and convenience foods at the moment?” – – –

Convenience is only needed temporarily until I got the books in. I want suggestions as it will be a challenge to wrap my head around this especially if I want to stay vegan. I figured the plan must be low carb and those foods fit that bill. (Is there a suggested limit for carbs and protein?)

Regarding the smoothies:

I was considering Medifast because something like it was used in some of the studies that reversed diabetes and fatty liver, but I am not happy with their use of carageenan. Though their foods are probably more fun to eat than my green smoothies will be (in some cases, warmer and more solid, too).

I am usually super careful about ingredients, too, but seeing Medifast’s chicken noodle soup made me think of the Lipton brand as a temporary alternative (of something warm, savory, and low carb) until I can get things figured out. Actually, I almost took it out of my list because it is sooo not a health food (I eat mostly organic, whole foods and as much raw as possible). Nevertheless, it was worth it because it helped identify you. It is nice to have found one of the more knowledgeable people right off the bat! I looked at your anniversary post, congratulations! Awesome results! Plus, you were eating whole foods! I want to lose 50-60 lbs, myself. I didn’t know you could stay on 800 calories for a year, though.

“From what Iโ€™ve seen on this forum, vegans and vegetarians often raise their carb limits quite high because they depend on legumes for protein. The BSD can still work for them, but I think probably more slowly.”

I agree that 800 calories and low carb is definitely going to be a challenge if I want to stay vegan. I figured that it was best for me to adhere as closely to the ratio of carbs, fats, and calories that those studies used to ensure the greatest success in reversing disease. That was another reason I looked at Medifast. However, I much prefer eating whole foods. Nevertheless, I don’t want to fall off the program due to boredom, either, so I am prepared to include real food and even meat if necessary.

I would love it if you’d share with us your typical menu over the course of a few days. Did you have meals you kept as your standards?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi Wanna_Be_ND, I’m not following the Clever Guts program. I just make a point of including fermented foods in my regular eating habits. At first it was a coincidence. When I cut out all the sugars and refined carbs, I found I craved sour, tart, strong flavors. I started with dill pickles and expanded it from there. The fact that they’re full of probiotic goodness was a fortunate side-effect.

There is no suggested limit for carbohydrate, protein or fat in the book. Many people on this forum aim for 50 grams or less of carbs per day because that seems to be a good figure for most people to keep their bodies in ketosis, meaning in a fat-burning state rather than a carb-burning one. Because I am insulin resistant, my daily limit is much lower at 20 grams per day. Most days I don’t get anywhere near that figure. Yesterday I had 9. Protein should be 1 gram or less per kilo of your ideal healthy body weight. I have mine set to 60.

I don’t know a lot about the shakes but I know others on the forum have had success with them. Just be sure the shakes don’t have added sugars or other stealth carbs (commercial products like SlimFast can be sneaky). I used to enjoy the occasional zero carb whey protein shake in the early days. (This was my preferred brand: https://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Powder-Isolate-Flavor/dp/B002U7YZXY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1506961473&sr=8-3&keywords=zero%2Bcarb%2Bisopure&th=1 ). I stopped drinking them when I moved away from artificial sweeteners.

Thank you for the congratulations! I never expected to still be eating 800 cals a day a year later, I assure you of that. I wasn’t sure it was even possible for me to pull off a week. I had no idea what 800 calories even amounted to in terms of real food. Weighing and measuring things, looking up their nutrient stats on MyFitnessPal and talling it all up has become second nature to me. I’m rarely hungry, and if I am I eat something.

I read your profile too and I love your enthusiasm for cooking whole foods with no questionable processing, preservatives and additives. As you said, the big challenge for you is going to be protein without jacking up your carb counts to the point where you’re no longer doing the BSD in any functional way. I rely significantly on meat and cheese to reach my nutrient goals without carbs. I’ve looked into meat and cheese substitutes and they are consistently high in carbohydrates and calories. Lots of beans, nuts, starchy vegetables and grains.

I do indeed have favorite meals. The salad dressing prep method in my first reply to you is my standard proportion, 6ml extra virgin olive oil to 3 ml vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice. I modify it according to mood, adding different spices, fresh herbs, 1/4 oz of softened cheese (I use chevre, blue cheese or cream cheese the most), fresh garlic, etc. To that I add 3 oz of greens (arugula, baby Romaine, green leaf, spinach), 1 oz of broccoli, clover or alfalfa sprouts (not bean sprouts, they’re sugarier than the others), a chopped green onion and a small Persian cucumber. Lupini beans are my latest new addition. All fiber so zero net carbs and they fill you right up.

The easiest thing I make that I could eat by the bowlful is spinach steamed in a skillet with a little water, salt and pepper until it’s wilted. I drain it and chop it up when it’s done because I’m not a fan of how different the stems are from the leaf in texture. Then I top it with no more than 1/4 oz sharp feta cheese. You could easily do the same without the cheese. Maybe throw in a small clove of chopped garlic and squeeze of lemon on top instead of the feta.

I’m a big fan of seaweed which would work very well for you because you got a lot of bang for your nutritional buck out of it. Kelp noodles take a little work to make them right, but the end-result is very satisfying as a replacement for pasta or noodles in soups. I also make my own “mayo” out of silken tofu. I use that in the dressing to give it a creamy note. Speaking of tofu, a keep a block of firm that I’ve pressed and sliced marinating at all times in the fridge. A couple of slices pan-seared in a skillet only takes a few minutes to make and comes out a savory, delicious little crispelle, crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside.

For a quick snack I eat a couple of Brazil nuts, flaxseed crackers with slivers of cheese or traditionally prepared charcuterie like Serano ham, the above-mentioned sauerkraut/kimchi/miso soup and one 14 gram square of 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate. I realized only last week that I have reached the point where what used to taste like bitterness to me now reads as intensity of chocolate flavor.

If you do decide to include some meats in your diet, stick with grass-fed, pasture raised organics. I did that anyway before the diet for moral and environmental reasons. The BSD added another reason, because their fats are healthier and there is no carb hangover from the poor creatures being fed corn and grain in feedlots. Chicken sausage, chicken breasts and ground turkey are my staples. I largely stick with fresh fish, but I have smoked salmon, smoked trout and canned tuna as staples as well. Again, wild caught, no dragnet, sustainably harvested. It costs a little more, but that’s the case with anything you buy that isn’t an environmental disaster.

Phew! That turned out to be long-winded. I better stop now before it becomes unreadable. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hey Esnecca! I see that you’re over here today, sharing your wisdom
    once again. I’ve fallen in love with Gold Mine kimchi, and have a constant
    supply of 2/34 oz jars in the refrig. at all times. How did I manage
    without this fantastic product? ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been giving some thought to how
    I can incorporate it into a soup. If you have any ideas, I’d very much
    appreciate it!. You must be very close to ultimate goal now. I’m
    holding steady and continue to maintain. I’ll be keeping an eye out
    for how you approach it!

Best wishes,

Allie

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Oh my God, alliecat, you are not going to believe what I randomly found in a local organic food store the other day. Kimchi sriracha! It’s not sriracha at all because it’s way too thick to squirt out of the bottle, but rather the juice and pulped solids of kimchi. Hot, tangy and still fermented, raw and unpasteurized and therefore full of the same probiotics that make kimchi so good for you. I put it on a tuna salad in copious quantities and it was phenomenal. I could have eaten it with a spoon it’s so good.

Kimchi is a classic ingredient in Korean stews and soups. There’s a pork belly soup I’ve had in restaurants that is tasty. I’m not a huge fan of pork belly however, so I just cut to the chase and use chicken or turkey. Cooks faster and you don’t have to deal with the pain of rendering all that fat, not to mention counting the calories in it. Cut the protein up into half-inch chunks and toss it in soy sauce, fresh garlic, fresh ginger sliced thin or grated, fish sauce and the juice of a lemon or lime. Let sit for half an hour.

Heat a tsp of toasted sesame oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Toss in the chicken/turkey/pork and brown it. Add the sliced white parts of two green onions and sautee for a minute or two until softened. Squeeze the juice out of 2 cups of kimchi into a bowl and set it aside. Add the kimchi to the pot with some red pepper paste or garlic chili paste or really any kind of hot sauce you’ve got in the house. Stir well and cook for a minute.

Add 2 quarts of water or chicken broth and the kimchi juice you squeezed out earlier. Turn the heat up to med-high and bring to a boil. When it’s rolling, turn it down to a brisk simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Taste for salt & pepper. Add more hot sauce or kimchi if it’s not spicy enough. Serve topped with the chopped green parts of the green onions.

I also love a riceless version of bibimbap. Sometimes I make caulirice as the base (tossed with a tsp sesame oil and roasted in the oven until it’s nice and fluffy and golden instead of sad and soggy). Other times I don’t even bother and just make a sort of mixed veg bowl. I start with turkey bacon or sausage, cooked over med-low heat for a while until it’s as crispy as it can be. Remove that and add sliced mushrooms to the pan, crimini, enoki, shiitake, whatever you’ve got. Salt and pepper them and cook them until they release their water, then add a clove or two of chopped garlic. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Next I add spinach to the pan with some water, s&p and cook until it wilts and then set that aside too. Other veggies follow. My favorites are broccoli sprouts, bok choi, red cabbage and a couple of ounces of julienned snow peas. You can use anything that tickles your fancy. If the pan gets dry, I add a tsp of sesame oil.

The last step is to fry an egg in the pan. I do it over easy to avoid the chance of undercooked whites, but the traditional is sunny side up.

Compose everything either on a bed of the caulirice on just in a bowl. The egg goes in the middle and the veggies, including however much kimchi you want, all around it. They should be next to each other like a color wheel, not all mixed up. Dress with a mixture of sesame oil, hot chili paste, a little water, fresh ginger juice and fresh garlic. Top with the crumbled bacon or sausage and a chopped green onion.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Esnecca – I consider this to be my lucky day! Thank you for
    taking time to write out these recipes. They’ve reignited my
    interest in cooking, and I’m excited to try them. All the ingredients
    are well known to me, and I’m looking forward to a very creative
    day in the kitchen! For the past year I’ve kept my culinary endeavors
    fairly simple: Completely whole food preparations, proteins that
    are pasture raised, free range or wild caught fish, locally sourced
    organic vegetables, organic greek yogurt, nuts and seeds, etc., I’m
    sure you get the picture. The weather is finally getting cooler, and
    my thoughts are going in the direction of soups. As always, you’ve
    been extremely helpful. Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks, we are back after seven weeks away in France and Spain.
    My weight has gone up about three kilos and I need to have a look at my charts to find out exactly how much I have gone up.
    Not worried about it because I have eaten few ice creams, had a couple of cakes, eaten a couple of blocks of 80% chocolate, a few french sticks and plenty of cheese. Oh and had a couple of bottles of wine. But yesterday (Monday) back on this fantastic way of eating. Its lovely to be home and seeing the family not so keen on the washing and ironing!!!!

Lovely to see some of you back here.

Onwards and downwards (again) ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi all, I am back again. Just posted on Lucias post.

New charts ready for weigh day on Saturday. Menues sorted. A couple of meals ready in the fridge.
    90% chocolate bought for if I need a treat. Told husband no fruit and cream after dinner at night.
    All bad habits I have got into since being away and now back home have got to stop. I want to feel
    well again and get rid of the weight I have put back on.

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to christmas.

Onwards and downwards…..again. Anyone joining me?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome back ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m mostly cheering from the sidelines but I am sure you won’t be alone in here for long, as I am sure people will want to shift a little more before the new year.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyone! I am still here๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Mixnmatch and Miss Ziggy. Good to be back.
    I think I am just plodding along and need to get my ideas into gear again.
    Taken loads to the charity shop this week. So thats a nsv.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Miss Ziggy nice to see you!! I’m still plodding along here too, hope you’re doing well xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hello ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ …yes itโ€™s nice to know that you…*fairyface and Inka mixandmatch* are still here. I have been on and off the wagon over the past few months but back on now and enjoying the benefits. I sleep so much better when doing BSD. We have no Christmas food in the house…usually I start hoarding it weeks leading up to Christmas๐Ÿ˜ฑ and then have loads of it left over in January. Last year I didnโ€™t buy mince pies cakes crisps etc until a few days before. Which helps. I have to have a proper Christmas for a few days! It got me thinking back to christmases as a child and everything that came into the house a couple of days before Christmas was such a treat. The only time you could buy a tin of quality Street was at Christmas. Now itโ€™s available all year. ๐Ÿ˜” itโ€™s no wonder we have an obesity crisis.
    I have put on some of my weight lost last year but not all of it. My work uniform started to feel tight and that was the trigger for me to get back on track. I REFUSE TO ORDER A LARGER SIZE!!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Anyways……I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ„ and I hope that we all post again in the New Year!!

MIss ZIggy โ˜ƒ๏ธโ˜ƒ๏ธโ˜ƒ๏ธโ˜ƒ๏ธ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿผ๐Ÿคถ๐Ÿป๐Ÿธ๐Ÿน๐Ÿป๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿท๐Ÿฅƒ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŒฒ

Please log in or register to post a reply.