1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi everyone.
    So sorry we’re all having difficulties but isn’t it amazing that we all turn to this group whether we are going well or having difficulties. It’s lovely that we have some where to escape to.
    Myself I’m struggling to get back on to the woe. I keep letting myself down mainly cause I haven’t had chance to put myself first. I know that’s what I need to do and my husband wants me to too. I was starting back on when I had more bad news, one our closest friends last week decided he had had enough and killed him self. Unfortunately it took him 4 days to die so it has been excruciating for us. His son is also my sons best friend and was like a second dad to him. So I have had to try and be strong for everyone. I have started and re started nearly every day. I know that for my health and peace of mind I need to get back to it. So I am so grateful to you all.

I send my love to you all and Fairyface my heart and thoughts are with you. Miss Ziggy I know what u mean but I’ve still been trying to see if it’s what I wanted 😞 Margaret you are doing so well and showing us the way.

So onwards and downwards to us all xxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I am so sorry to read of others having bad news. Love to you all.
    Our son is still on a ventilator and not improving much.
    We have eaten lots of salads this week and only had one cooked meal by choice.
    Not been able to keep the fluids up but hopefully when our son is not so poorly things will change.

Chin up folks…..its just our turn for horrible things to happen.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Fairyface – I do hope your son starts to improve very soon. You are doing so well at this really difficult time.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Fairyface I also hope you very soon have much better news about your son!
    Thinking of you.
    Margaretxxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks, son was off the ventilator and waving to us when we went onto the ward yesterday. He is very weak and breathless but is improving. Thank you for your good wishes.
    Husband and I have lived on salads every day. Today we have had our second hot meal since the 17th March!
    Don’t know what weight I have lost! Not been able to drink my usual two litres of water a day but will be back to it shortly. I have snacked on nuts at the hospital when I have needed them and perhaps eaten a few more or Greek yoghurt when we arrived home in the evenings. We have had a good system going with the salads. Lots of prep, washing, chopping and slicing ready to just put in the lunch boxes.
    I am just so pleased I have lost the weight I have done. It has enabled me to walk the long corridors of the hospital with ease.
    Encouragement to those who are struggling.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s such great news, Fairyface. You must have been so relieved to see him on the mend. I hope his recovery is brief and total. πŸ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

Fairyface, that is such good news about your son. I really hope the improvement continues and he is well on the road to recovery soon. It has been such a stressful time for you, I am amazed that you have managed to continue BSD, so well done. Huge pat on the back.
    Please give your son our best wishes and tell him we are all rooting for him.

• posted by Nickix
    on

Fairyface so pleased with your news and so proud of you and ashamed of myself. I bet your son and husband are so proud of you. Here’s to a speedy full recovery Fot your son and let’s hoping you’ll all be celebrating his release from hospital soon xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Fairyface what wonderful news about your sonπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜€ I do hope that he makes a speedy recovery!
    With best wishes to you & your family
    Margaret xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Fairyface – I was so pleased to read that your son is out of intensive care. I am also amazed you have done so well on the BSD over this time – especially as the food outlets at hospitals stock an overabundance of the bad sugary and starchy carbs and hardly any good nutritious foods.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks, thanks you for your kind words. I really do appreciate them.
    Nicki please don’t be ashamed. There is absolutely no reason for you to be.
    This way of eating is a lifestyle change and it has taken months for it to click with me, but I am in the zone now and not going back to my old ways. How can I when I feel well. Yes a bit put off because I am now on tablets for my thyroid and my hair is really is thinner and I have hardly lost weigh since Christmas. But like I keep saying its a way of life.
    KrysiaD, you are so right about the food outlets and the bad sugary and starch carbs. There is a fruit stall outside the hospital but about three Costa Coffee shops and a Subway. We have found it much easier to prep salads and take them with us. The unit receptionist has made me laugh because she has been drooling over our salads whilst eating her Subway, crisps and Costa coffee she has come over most days to see what we have to eat. It has only been simple feta, chicken or ham salads. Either with lettuce or watercress.
    I am so grateful for the NHS and all they have done for our son. They have kept us informed whats going on and why and answered our questions even if we have asked the same one six times.
    Can I add I started on the BSD because last year I thought I was heading for an early grave. Not able to move or walk far, legs swelling up during the day ads of fat around my waist. But six months later and about 3.5stones down I can keep up with my husband walking, I want to walk which I did not last year as it was so painful and such an effort. How can I ever want to go back to living like that again? I don’t! Onwards and downwards girls however long it takes:-)

• posted by Theodora
    on

Fairyface, thank you for your rather inspiring post. I am so pleased that you son is improving, and that you are feeling so well (notwithstanding all the stress you are under at the moment) and sticking with BSD as a way of life, for life. How funny that the receptionist was looking enviously at your BSD salads, whilst eating all the rubbish that used to form part of our diets.

Coming from a family of doctors (late Father, daughter, son-in-law, No.1 son and daughter-in-law) could I also thank you for your praise of the NHS? My family, and the vast majority of doctors and nurses in the NHS, work long, often thankless, hours, all too frequently in difficult and stressful conditions, just doing the very best, and in the most caring way, they can. The NHS gets a very bad rap at times, and it can be very demoralising for them, but in times of crisis it definitely comes into it’s own and I doubt you could find better anywhere in the world. So, on behalf of my family, may I thank you for publicly for acknowledging this? OK, off my soapbox now!!

Please keep us updated with your son’s progress – we are all rooting for his complete recovery.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyoneπŸ˜€

I am now heading into my busy time with my allotment. It needs regular visits this time of the year getting it ready for the planting season. I have been sowing seeds at home too. This year BSD is in mind when growing my vegetables. I will be growing much more lettuce and salad veggies. We grow lots of blackcurrants, raspberries and strawberries which will be so useful in the summer months.
    The clothes I slimmed into still fit so I am happy with my progress. I have two holidays coming up over the next two months. So will up my game with BSD over the next few weeks. As you know I have added a glass of wine with my dinner in the evening. I also have the occasional meal out but I am too scared to introduce anything else non BSD to my diet. I would ideally love to lose another 7lbs and am hoping to get out on my bike now the weather is changing. It might help me with the last 7lbs. My biggest obstacle at the moment is lunch time meals. I wake at 5:30 for work and finish at 1:00pm by the time I get home I am starving and need quick food. I have to be so organised with lunches and have meals prepared in advance.
    How is everyone else doing and what will be your coping stategy during Easter.?πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ«πŸ«πŸ°πŸ°πŸ¬πŸ¬

MIss ZIggy

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi MissZiggy, my two potagers have completely grown over during the winter. I have bought 2, 5′ x 5′ planters this year and I am growing my strawberries in there so they will be easier so I might as well put in some short rooted veg like lettuce, radishes and I am growing courgettes and red peppers, might as well as I practically live on them. I am not very good at it but like to give it a go. When I have dug over the other 2 patches I will be putting tomatoes in as they are always very successful, get 12 plants of mixed types.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

All well at Fairyface Towers. Son home from hospital very tired and very grateful for the care he has received from the NHS.

My weight is all over the place. 95kg today which is what I was two weeks ago! We have eaten loads of salads over the last couple of weeks and only three hot meals during this time. I am on medication for my thyroid, my hair is still falling out and I have noticed my legs are starting to swell again as they did before I started this way of eating. They are not reducing overnight when I am in bed. So I really don’t know whats going on. My steps increased over the past two weeks going to the hospital, was not able to drink much water during this time. I have read on here that stress can cause weight gain but I don’t know what tho think. Perhaps I should see my gp earlier than we arranged. Hope everyone else is okay.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Goodness, Fairyface, that is SUCH good news. You must be so relieved to have your son home – please give him our best wishes.

I’m not surprised your weight is a bit erratic at the moment, with what you have been through and I do believe that stress can cause weight gain, although is some people it can also cause weight loss. As far as your legs are concerned, you may very well find that it is just increased water retention as you say yourself that you have not kept up with hydration. Whilst it may be a good idea to consult your GP, maybe you could try increasing your water intake and see if this helps to flush the excess fluid away? Simple but effective remedy for water retention.

Take care and………breathe! πŸ˜‰

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Folks. Our son appreciates your good wishes, thank you.x He is just waiting for appointments for more tests and to see the consultant. He has managed a couple of small walks today in the sunshine. So fingers crossed he makes a good recovery.

I have increased my fluid intake and my legs appear to be going down slightly. I will just keep on eating the BSD way and hopefully when things settle down with my thyroid I am sure the scales will be my friend again. I am not going back to my old way of eating no matter what happens.

Miss Ziggy I envy you a veg. patch. We have two naughty dogs who love our strawberry bed and my husband has had to put fencing around it to stop them eating all the strawberries when they are ripe. We don’t grown our own tomatoes for the same reason…..our dogs love them ….even unripe ones! We have grown them in pots because we only have a small garden but have now given up on them!

I hope everyone is well and is enjoying the lovely weather.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I am still plodding away……..

Upped my water intake this week and my legs appear to be going down slightly.
    Hair still coming out in handfuls and weight is on the move slightly.

1.10.16 – 114kg
    8.4.17 – 94.1kg

900g loss this week which is where I was two weeks ago even though we are sticking with this way of eating.
    My weight since Christmas has been all over the place and I have my fingers crossed now I am two weeks into taking medication for my thyroid I will see the effects very soon.

Hope everyone else is well. Where are you all?

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi Fairyface so glad things are starting to go better for your family. So proud of how your doing though do you remember how in the early days we used to say if things weren’t moving along if we had a naughty day tjings would suddenly go woosh? Maybe you need one of those??? Fingers crossed the medication will start helping though xx
    And hi to everyone else if your reading but haven’t had chance to log in. We must keep this going even though the Facebook one can be easier to log into this one is ours.
    I’ve been naughty on and off with things going on but now the funeral is out the way and hubby’s booked a long weekend for us in Florence to look forward to im hoping to get back on it. I weighed myself and I’d only put on 4lb so pleased with that but need to tone up now! And that’s what scares me so much with my illness and my back!
    I started having massages but may try a chiropractor?? But I am getting some exercise in the garden so that’s a little plus.
    Come on everybody even if it’s just a high so we all know we’re safe and well

Love Nicki xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thanks Nicki. How lovely a weekend in Florence.
    You will have the 4lbs off in no time. Just take things easy with your back and illness.
    I still have days where I could eat my left arm upto the elbow in one sitting. Today being one of them!
    But I have committed to this weight coming off no matter how long it takes me. We are still eating veg without counting the calories and happy following meals from the book. It is working for us. The main thing is feeling healthier and being happy with what we are doing. I have such a long way to go but I am happy I have lost three stone.

Are there any of the original posters still about?

• posted by Inka13
    on

HI Fairyface, I’m still here but a bit shamefaced… it’s been a rocky start to the year and my disorganisation is showing in my waistline! Am trying to take one meal at a time and find my rhythm again! Hope everyone is going ok, it’s been a rough time for many so best wishes to you all and brighter (thinner!) days ahead…

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Inka……..Please don’t feel awful….I think everyone has days/weeks/months of not being so organised.
    I know I would not be this far down the road if it was not for my husband wanting to do the healthy eating along with me. He is the one to decide what we are eating and he is the one who mainly does the shopping so it is a lot easier for me than a lot of folk on here to keep to this way of life. I am sure if it had not been for my thyroid giving up I would have lost a lot more weight. My hair is a lot thinner than a couple of weeks ago and with just a tiny weight loss I could easily have a good excuse for giving in and going back to my former way of life. But do you know what?…..This BSD malarky is my way of life now. I feel so much better, I can walk without getting pain in my feet and breathless. Yes, I still have nights where I am not sleeping well but I can get up in the morning looking forward to my day, and thats with all the worry of my son and other things going on in the family. I am managing to cope with my housework, enjoy cooking again and have found a zest for life that has not been seen for quite a few years. Life is good….no matter what is thrown at me I will just get up and get on with it.:-) Love to all, please come back everyone:-)

• posted by Nickix
    on

Thanks Fairyface I’m getting excited now that I have the tickets but been a little naughty today as had a 10 hour shift and no breaks cause if we do it’ll be a 12 hour shift!πŸ˜† Had home made sausage patty with black pudding and melted cheese plus some fruit mascarpone cheese with greek yoghurt coconut and nuts then for tea 2 burgers with fried on top!! No veg which i onow is bad!!! And not enough water!!
    So trying to get there. See Inka we’re all struggling but if we stick together then I’m sure we can support each other. Doesn’t matter how long it takes us xx
    Onwards and downwards sweet cheeks 😘 Xx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Fairyface and Nickix,
    Thank you for your supportive words and an incentive to keep going! Fairyface I am in awe of your determination in the face of so much difficulty and I am going to keep that thought with me as I relaunch today!! I hope your son has great improvement this week, you have been amazing to stay on track and it must be tough also with having to battle against thyroid medication as well, seems so unfair but you have not let it stop you!
    I think things started going awry in February with me when a whole heap of family difficulties arose and I have staggered on and off plan since then, have been a little ill lately ( nothing serious, just a cough and cold ) but staying home with my two also sick young daughters and not getting out for fresh veg led to a LOT of toast!!
    But these are tiny excuses and honestly I am so looking forward to feeling bsd- better again! Will try and post more to keep myself in line but am always reading and marvelling at everyone’s stories and successes, so thanks again and here we go….!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Fairyface, oops, that should have read ‘ battling against your thyroid but medication will help’!
    Obviously I need a coffee! Have a great day x

• posted by Fairyface
    on

How exciting Nickix have a fab time.
    Inka…..I really don’t know why or how I have not wandered from the straight and narrow!
    There have been some days when I have had to take one hour at a time, one meal at a time and one day at a time, I have gone to bed way before my usual bedtime to stop myself from going to the fridge or our grandchildrens sweetie jar! I think what has kept me on the straight and narrow is I felt so poorly and I thought I would die if I did not do anything about my diet and way of living. So all in all, I have had no choice but to keep on keeping on:-)

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello everyone sorry for my posting absence but have been away for ten days in Cornwall & Somerset with iffy wifi! I’m catching up reading your posts & so glad your son is getting better Fairyface but sorry to hear you are still battling with your health problems.
    March has been a bit of a write off for me weight loss wise & I relaxed my eating whilst on holiday & seriously need to strictly go back to BSD eating because my body does prefer it. But well done to those of you who have been sticking with it through many difficultie. I have two family things to aim for now to look much slimmer for that are my granddaughters second birthday gathering in May & both granddaughters joint naming ceremony in August! I am thinking of setting up my exercise bike again as well as doing more regular daily exercise because I have really got back into slothful habits sitting reading & beading more.
    I am back to recording my calories & eating only 800πŸ‘also drinking more waterπŸ’§πŸ’§& exercising πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‹πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ‹πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»
    I hope you all have a Happy Easter
    Margaret xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Wendy. Nice to see you back. I am sure you will be slimmer for your family gathering in August. I see you are thinking about doing more regular exercise. I think thats what I need to do….push myself to go out for a walk regardless of the weather!.
    I started to recorder my carbohydrates yesterday and will continue for a week. I really need to check what I am eating although we are still using the book for meals I have eaten quite a few nuts this week. So I am a bit between thinking is it my thyroid or is it bad habits and no exercise! Also this week I have struggled to fit in the extra fluids with some days just a couple of glasses of water along with the usual tea and fruit tea. I have looked at my graph of weight loss and can see exactly when my thyroid started to go haywire. I think I will take it to the doctors for a review of my medication in a couple of weeks as arranged when she prescribed thyroxine.
    Today is our official weigh day not much lost but here goes.

start -1-10-16 114kg
    today 15-4-17 93.9

a loss this week of only 200g.

Hope everyone is well.x

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyone …just checking in it’s been a while.

I am still doing well on BSD apart from meals out when I choose what I want off the menu but refuse desserts and starters! However I did eat a hot cross bun today😱😱😱 but it is Easter😏.When I started BSD I used to drink lots of water but for a while now my water intake has reduced. My plan is to increase water and excercise like Wendy. I have been working on the allotment so that must count for something. My job keeps me on the go as I work as a Phlebotomist collecting blood samples from patients on wards….very stressful and tiring. I don’t have the time to eat anything during my breaks and just about have the strength to eat my lunch. The upside is I don’t eat between meals. I have finally given up on eating nuts. I was eating more and more of them and starting to rely on them a bit too much. I have now replaced nuts with herbal tea for now and will see how I get on. If I am really starving I eat a couple of boiled eggs. The eggs take more time compared with diving into the nuts as and when. Also Bovril seems to kill hunger. I like mine with a splash of tobasco.
    I guess for all of us the novelty of BSD has diminished somewhat. Perhaps when we started we could all see Christmas on the horizon which was a great incentive. the good thing is we are all hear still supporting each otherπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Happy Easter Everyone πŸ”πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ”πŸ£πŸ£πŸ£πŸ£πŸ£πŸ£πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ₯š
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Happy Easter everyone
    Miss Ziggy boiled eggs sound a great way to eat protein & stave off hungerπŸ‘πŸ‘
    I put back on 1 & 1/4lbs after my holiday & today have fasted until our supper of roast chicken & BSD roasted veg but did find an aged potato layer thing in the freezer & also cooked that & have had a large glass of Chardonnay πŸ™€
    Oh well we did not buy chocolate eggs apart from giving our son free small solid John Lewis ones that he did share when we had lunch with him yesterday! I need to get back on track with a vengeance & still belong to Rosemary Conley online slimming club & have signed up to lose 2 stone by July but try to do BSD & not tell anyone saying it’s low carbπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘I’m doing never doing not low fat etcπŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ˜‚
    I surely can lose my extra weight by July?????
    At my two granddaughters naming ceremony in August it would be so good not to look like I did at my sons wedding two years ago particularly with my daughter in laws family there! From the waist up I was ok but hips thighs & legs were a disaster & I blush when I see the photos.
    Oh well best foot forward & all that πŸ˜€
    Keep going everyoneπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi

Anyone around? How’s everyone doing?? Xx

Nicki

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Nicki
    Yes still around & not much to report except I am 1/2lb away from losing three stone & have two lunches this week, one I’m hosting today & going to my sons on Saturday. I like both are going sabotage me particularly since I do like wine!!
    How are you doing?
    Margaret xx

• posted by holly_v_h
    on

Hi everyone, I started end of Feb, lost a stone and then lost momentum and put a few pounds back on, I’m trying to lose weight for my wedding in August. Back on the wagon as of last week and feeling much better already. HAve to say I’ve never been on a diet and felt so well on it…always felt grumpy and deprived before. I think the main thing to get on top of with this diet was drinking enough water to make up for the water lost with lack of food, I had headaches etc for the first week or so back in Feb until I sussed out the dehydration aspect of it! I haven’t been on the forums before yesterday, but it’s so encouraging to see other people doing the same and having similar issues. Look forward to sharing more success with you guys πŸ™‚
    Holly x

• posted by holly_v_h
    on

Also if you haven’t tried broad bean mash, DO try it – I never liked them as a kid and thought it would be gross but I am a total convert and love the stuff! To the point of running my finger round the inside of the bowl! Just make sure you put loads of garlic, salt and pepper in (and I have with gravy). Fantastic alternative to regular mash πŸ™‚

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi guys😜It’s been a while I know but I’ve been on two holidays with two weeks between the two. So in all honesty I have been off BSD for about 4 weeks😒😒😒. It’s so easy to slip back into old ways when away from home. During my hols I have had quite a bit to drink and eaten my way through very nice meals. The only good thing is that I did keep my water intake up! Anyway I am going to the supermarket tomorrow and will be starting over. I am not back in work till Tuesday so will prepare and organise my meals for the next week tomorrow. It’s going to be hard but I really felt so well on BSD I will have get there again. I know I keep talking about exercise but haven’t done anything about it. I did swim a little on holiday but only enough to burn two calories πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Ok so no more holidays for me until a weekend away in September so no real distractions or family do’s to get in the way.
    I hope everyone is ok and doing well.
    MIss Ziggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks, I am still around. Had a short holiday and managing to stay on the straight and reasonably narrow. I think my portions have slightly enlarged but still on this way of eating. My weight has not changed since the last time I posted ages ago and my hair is still falling out at an alarming rate. Doctor has ordered a blood test and will perhaps up my thyroxine if needed. Goodness knows what will happen if extra medication is not needed. I have very thin patches of hair now. Feel quite upset about it, and a little bit ashamed I feel this way. My weight has varied between 100-300g up or down. Having two litres of water a day is getting harder and I have to push myself some days to even drink a glass! On the upside whilst away we have had a couple of lovely walks up in the Welsh hills and I managed much better than I did a couple of years ago. So I am feeling the benefit of weight loss. Still enjoying the change diet and feel so much better than I did last year. Hope everyone else is okay.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Fairyface
    I’m also still around & just finally passed a milestone of losing three stone. I am now reading Michaels new book The Clever Guts Diet that nicely seems to mesh well with the BSD but have just ordered some organic Inulin prebiotic to boost my friendly gut bacteria that is also supposed to help improve sleep as well as the immune system. I’m working on the basis of trying things that can help my body & my husband & I now take Kefir every day that we get from our local Polish shop. I’m still probably not eating enough vegetables so we had a plateful of fresh veg with houmous for lunch. It’s going to be minute steak with mashed sweet potatoes & carrot for lunch.
    I hope you manage to get your thyroid medication sorted out & it must be so upsetting to still have your hair falling out. Well done on stabilising your weight & I hope you continue to do wellπŸ‘πŸ‘
    Margaret

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Margaret,

Pleased you are still here:-) Like you I never ate enough veg….I cannot get enough now. Tonights dinner was steak, beans, broccoli and an aubergine baked in the oven with olive oil and garam masala and when cooked cut up with a spot of veg stock and yoghurt. It was greek yoghurt and not just plain. The recipe said use curry paste but not got any. It did split but it was edible.
    I am waiting for my blood results, I am now itching like mad and my hair is very thin! I am trying not to eat nuts like they are going out of fashion and upping my fluids.
    My husband was telling me earlier about the new book by Dr Moseley. I would give anything to sleep through every night. Will order it and have a read.
    I have loads more weight to lose and I really hope I manage to get on an even keel when I am on the right medication.

Best wishes to everyone

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi Margaret and Fairyface so pleased to hear from you both as even though things may not be going as well as previously at least we’re still here for each other.
    Hopefully soon Fairyface you’ll get your results and then medication. Margaret you’re doing well at least sticking to it. I’m the same with the veg. It’s more lazyness i think not that I don’t like them. I’ve been so busy that a lot of times i just eat the bircher or yoghurt and fruit. Plus not drinking enough water !!
    I’ve been on holiday to Italy!! Unfortunately I’ve put on 8lbs!! And look so bloated! Going away again in 4 weeks so hopefully i can loose a little of it. 😬
    Let’s keep each other company and keep helping each other xx miss you all xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi there Nickix, lovely to ‘see’ you. I am sure you can get the 8lbs off before you goo away again. I would imagine a holiday in Italy was totally worth weight gain.
    I have just made beetroot soup for lunch. I would imagine its very high carb so I am not going to calculate it. It was very nice with cream and horseradish. Same again for tomorrow so only a salad for dinner for me tonight.

I am up for keeping each other company on here. I will post my weight on Saturday like I used to.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

1.10.16 – 114k
    27.5.16 – 94.5k

which is 500g more than the last time I put my weight on here on the 15th April.

I have decided Monday and Tuesday next week I am going to try and fast most of the day
    with perhaps just a bullet coffee to keep me going and then low cal dinner at night or even just salad.

Apparently my blood test is okay with no change in my thyroid but I did have a tablet before the blood test.
    Anyway not going to use it as an excuse I need to try a different take to try and get some weight off. I will
    also try and get out for a walk . and drink more than my two litres of water plus tea and coffee. Fingers crossed
    I can do what I have planned.

Hope everyone else is well.

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Hello lovely ladies – I’m back.

Have just been catching up with the messages – good to see some of you are still here. Fairy face: am so sorry to have read about your traumatic time with your son. So pleased to hear he has been on the mend, but what a shock. Margaret, good to see you too.

To cut a long story short, I dropped off the radar some months back after having been diagnosed with borderline severe depression. It was a shock at the time but, looking back, I was pushing myself so hard and was under so much stress that perhaps it was inevitable. Due to the physical symptoms I was experiencing I underwent tests for MS, Parkinsons, Alzheimers and a brain tumour before they were all ruled out. I lost the ability to read, kept dropping things, became forgetful, was sleeping 18 hrs a day etc: I had no idea depression was so ‘physical’. Since then I have started medication (didn’t want to but it works…), have got a great doctor and have been taking better care of myself. Current day, I feel pretty great but it will be a continuing journey for sure.

So today I started back on BSD. Am using the first day of Ramadan here in Dubai as my kickstart and re-set button. (Am not Muslim but I love the spiritual concept behind it.) My weight has been pretty stable since I stopped (thank goodness) but I still have a long way to go. However I feel strong enough to re-embark on the journey so here we go again. Meal plans mapped out and food cupboard stocked. It looks like I will be giving up my little business and returning to a full-time job in the coming weeks, so I have the added incentive of needing to get back into my work clothes for the first time in over a year!

Love to everyone and Ramadan Kareem if any of you reading this are celebrating it.
    Sarah xxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Carb _Addict how lovely to ‘see’ you back. How awful you have been poorly but I really hope you are
    on the right side of depression. It must have been really frightening for you to be tested for MS etc.
    You will be on a long journey to get well but it sounds as though you are well on the way. We are here for
    youx

You have just reminded me to update about our son. He started back at work last Tuesday just for four hours a
    day increasing over the next couple of months. He is now desk bound for a couple of months on another job but I think his company are looking after him.

Onwards and downwards folk.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Can I just say thank you?
    I’m only one week into bsd, having being diagnosed with T2 diabetes (well still waiting 2nd blood test to confirm) and knew I had do do something to “help” myself.

I immediately bought the book and recipe book and started my journey on 22nd May.

I’ve been reading this group post over the last four days or so and you have all really inspired me as well as giving great food tips (I write them down on my shopping list as I go 😁) I’m amazed at the journey you have all been on and wanted to thank you for your openness in sharing it all with us. I only hope I can show the same level of determination as I make my way.

I have 13-25lbs max to lose but for me it’s all about the blood sugar levels, avoiding medication and more importantly keeping my limbs and my sight.

I started with a fbs of 14.3 😱
    Today it read 9.6 πŸ˜‡
    I’ve also dropped 2lbs

A long way to go but I’ve started and you have all played a part in that ❀️

Lee xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Lee
    I hope this helps that my Type 2 diabetic husband lost 23 lbs & has maintained that weight loss for the past six months with plus minus 2-3 lbs. He had to go back to increasing his Metformin by one tablet but has stayed off Glyclazide! He has had diabetes for the past 23 years that must have affected his body’s response to the BSDiet. His bloods go up & down but I suspect his weakness for crackers to eat with his cheese causes that πŸ™ I am not diabetic but accompanied him with doing BSD & lost another 1&1/2 lbs this week & a total now of three stone. Michael Mosleys advice certainly seems to be based on good science & works so take heart & keep going. I am currently rebooting my microbiome in my gut & can recommend kefir & eating more veg😎😎
    Good luck
    Margaret xx
    Ps we all have our onoff days & ours is drinking some wine whilst on holiday & being subjected to the choices of food hotels offer but will get back on the bandwagon when we get home tomorrow πŸ˜€πŸ‘

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Welcome back SarahπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    You have been such an inspiration to all of us & I hope you are feeling much better now & back on an even keel!
    Good luck in your new job & keep your chin up!
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Thanks Margaret
    I followed yours and your husbands journey quite closely! I don’t have medication yet, not having been formally diagnosed but hoping that he will see my efforts over the last few weeks and give me a grace period.

Congrats on your loss, I hope you did a happy dance?!

Have a great holiday 🏝🌞. The wagon will be there when you return πŸ˜‰
    Lee x

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I am really struggling to stay on track:-( I just want to eat and eat and eat. I think its because I went to a wedding at the weekend and had everything that was put in front of me. Hair still falling out and thats making me worry more. Also no weight lost again. Sorry I am doing nothing but moan.
    Hope everyone else is okay.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

So sorry to hear that you are worrying Fairyface even though it is understandable. MM writes about stress causing increased cortisol levels that can also increase appetite? Are you able to take any time out for yourself? perhaps to have a massage or just a quiet soak in a bubble bath with a good book? MM also writes about mindfulness & trying to reduce stress levels by sitting quietly with eyes closed for ten minutes by just pushing intrusive thoughts away & noticing your breath going in & out. I learnt Transcendental Meditation when my children were young & found it helpful & also used it when waiting for surgery & recovering. But any focusing on breathing slowly can help. Try not to worry about any weight loss at the moment but instead on eating well.
    Oh & moan away that’s what we are here for!
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I have now received my pack of prebiotic Inulin that feeds the good gut bacteria & have had a teaspoon of this in my morning Kefir. My OH & I are rebooting our gut microbial biome & it seems to be going well. I am getting over a sore throat & cold I brought back with me on Wednesday after our three days away in the IOW that was very enjoyable visiting Osborne House & Carisbrooke Castle. I am working through the resulting pile of holiday washing & ironing as well as pressing my new bright pink M & S size 14 linen trousers that now fit!πŸ‘
    I hope you are all doing well.
    Margaret xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.