101 Ways with cauliflower !!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

SunnyB so many people spent so much time adding to this thread that it would be a real shame if it just got lost in the ether. It was just that when I made my cauliflower mash last night, which I do most nights, it turned out better than usual so I thought I would share the tip!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I sometime part boil the cauli, then drain and finish cooking in the oven, so that it isn’t too watery.

• posted by Verano
    on

SunnyB I always steam my vegetables and it’s sometimes difficult to not over cook. If the cauliflower is really fresh it seems to hold less water. Bit of trial and error really. Now I have started cooking twice as much as I need and reheating one half the next night and that’s really nice especially when I mix in any other left over vegetables!

• posted by Nelliecat
    on

Oh my goodness. I think cauliflower is my new best friend…
    Had it roasted with a tiny bit of butter smeared on beforehand, and salt and pepper – it was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!! I could have eaten a whole plateful.
    Also this week I’ve made soup with cauliflower, leek, bit of garlic, chicken stock, salt and pepper then a little bit of blue cheese at the end. That has been delicious and maybe Christmas dinner worthy as a starter.
    I love my new best friend.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Nelliecat, this IS an amazing vegetable..so versatile! Who knew? On Verano’s “soup thread” she’s
    put up an outstanding cauliflower and roasted red pepper version. Have a look…I highly recommend
    it! Have fun 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

So glad you have ‘discovered ‘ cauliflower Nelliecat. It’s a wonderful vegetable. If you have a look at the soups recipe thread there’s a recipe for roasted red pepper and cauliflower soup that really is lovely. Keep on enjoying cauliflower !

• posted by alliecat
    on

Posts crossed, V.! My thoughts exactly 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Great minds Allie!!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

I thought I’d post this for those interested (and who can get bbciplayer) . It’s Marcus Waring showing how he cooks a cauliflower steak. It’s at approx. 17.20 mins in.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brjbrt/ad/masterchef-the-professionals-series-11-episode-1
    He also makes a nut butter which looks good but he uses cashew nuts which are way too high in carbs for me – and probably cals atm.

Not a cauli recipe, but on another episode he shows how to make a chimichurri sauce as an accompaniment to a steak
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brjfj5/ad/masterchef-the-professionals-series-11-episode-2 – again about 17 mins 30 in.

• posted by Verano
    on

I just had to add to this thread. I’ve been making cauliflower mash in all it’s forms for a few years now. Tonight my mash was magnificent!!
    So I steamed my cauliflower for around 15 minutes and thought I would try it in a potato ricer ….. well surprise. It was too hard to be ‘riced’ but so much water was pressed out if it. So I then put it into a bowl with salt, pepper, horseradish and a little butter and whizzed with a hand blender. I would defy anyone to tell the difference between my mash and mashed potato …. it was really wonderful! An idea for the festivities maybe?

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am definitely pinching your idea Verano !! Will try your cauli mash this weekend ! Thank you !

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy I’m convinced the secret is to not overcook and then get rid of as much water as you can before mashing. That is the secret of ‘perfect ‘ cauliflower mash !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks V ! I will keep you posted !!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

While responding to someone interested in ideas for cauliflower on another thread, I mentioned this one, so decided to drag it to the top of the pile again for quick reference. I also did a quick web search for other cauli ideas and found this one that I thought I’d give a try https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/cauliflower
    Does anyone else have any thing new to offer?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have a problem with cauliflower. I made a small cauli based pizza for lunch on Saturday and my bottom exploded with wind (sorry about that) hubby threatened to kick me out of bed. Sunday we had a beef stew and hubby decided to join me with cauli mash – we hadn’t put cauli down to the stink – 2 hours later we were both trumpeting and stinking the house out. At least he cant kick just me out of bed now. Any solutions as I love cauli.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Active charcoal capsules might help, they are quite effective at absorbing gases!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Thanks Sunny, I dont want to give up cauli

• posted by Verano
    on

THT

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Thanks Verano!
    I’ve discovered cauliflower as well. I remember hating it as a child, overcooked with nutmeg. YUK! Now I talk about it like it is, indeed, my new BFF. Mash, grilled, stir-fried, as rice, raw, even boiled (for the right amount of time) its all good. I’ll have a browse trough here tomorrow. They are local, fresh and crispy this time of year!!

• posted by Verano
    on

To the top.
    Some wonderful cauliflower recipes.
    Enjoy!!!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Just adding to the thread…… I just made cauliflower in the air fryer…..medium sized florets, seasoned it, popped a teaspoon of red pesto in and mixed it up. 10mins in the air fryer and it was done! Amazing!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Windy that sounds lovely. I have an old tefal actifry which I don’t think works in the same wag as the modern ones but I will give it a try.

Please log in or register to post a reply.