101 Ways with cauliflower !!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Just wondering if we can find 101 ways to cook cauliflower!

I will start with
    1. boiled/steamed and mashed with salt and pepper.

No: 2 ??

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Scrummy one is cauliflower steaks roasted in the oven. Yum

• posted by Imogen
    on

Or grated or pulsed in food processor and used raw as base for cauliflower cous cous style?

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

FAKE RICE is what I make out of cauliflower. But, the drought in california was so bad that broccoli and caulifower are quite pricey this year. So, I can skip the rice this summer.

If you have recipes, please do share it with everyone.

• posted by Jillf
    on

Igor tell us how to cook the cauli steaks? Sounds delicious do share please
    Jill

• posted by Jillf
    on

Delicious way is mash with butter and double cream and then grate in some nutmeg yum yum yum
    Jill

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Cauliflower steaks

Take a cauliflower and stand it on its stalk and cut down from the top in thick slices – I usually get two good slices and then the edges are smaller ones.

Lay flat on a baking sheet, with any spare bits or leaves round the edges. Add salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil over each slice and roast in the oven (I would say 180 degrees) for about 15-20 minutes or until browned and the cauliflower cooked through.

The leaves are delicious even if a little blackened and the ‘steaks’ are tender and sweet.

I was reading today you can also do these on a barbecue.

Hope you enjoy – my family love these.

• posted by Jillf
    on

Mmmm thank you will give that a go!
    Jill

• posted by Izzy
    on

to add to the fake rice comments – I don’t like it steamed in the micro which seems the common way to cook it, but I do like it fried with some olive oil, garlic and chilli, you can even fry an egg through it like fake egg fried rice!

cauli pizza is good too.

I’ll try the cauli steaks too!

• posted by Verano
    on

8. I made Indian cauliflower last night. This is a similar recipe to one posted on another thread can’t remember which one!

In a bowl or bag mix 100g of greek yogurt roughly one teaspoon of each of …. curry powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika, garam masala or any combination you have. I added fresh coriander leaves and lime juice. Cut a small/medium cauliflower into florets, not too small. Mix together and leave to marinade for a short time.

Place on a lined baking tray and cover with tinfoil. Cook for 30 minutes or so at 170 fan. Remove tinfoil and cook for a further 15 minutes or so. I was cooking something else at the same time which took and hour and cooked the cauliflower at the same time.

9. Made me think a similar recipe with thai curry paste, coriander, ginger, minced garlic, lime juice and either yogurt or coconut milk might be good as well. Will try that next.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m going to try the steaks. I think I’ve overcooked my roasted cauliflower in the past. It’s been hard and blackened but sweet!!

• posted by Verano
    on

10. Further to the ‘egg fried rice’ I have added ginger, peppers, spring onions, shallots, beansprouts, lime juice, fresh coriander, soy sauce and a touch of sesame oil and served with cooked chicken ….. ‘chicken fried rice’ !!!

Was delicious but be cautious with beansprouts they look innocent but are relatively high in carbs!

• posted by karenv
    on

11. I love garlicky cauliflower mash along with lamb leg steaks, really delicious! It’s creamy and tastes *nearly* as good as mashed potato 🙂 I use this recipe, it seems like a lot of garlic but it worked I think because the garlic flavour becomes much more mellow when you steam it (I love garlic anyway)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356203768/garlic-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes

If you don’t have a steamer you can just put a colander over a saucepan with a little water in it.

Those cauliflower steaks sound delicious! I think either the Helmsley sisters or Jamie Oliver have a recipe for spiced whole roasted cauliflower that looked great – I must have a dig about and see…

• posted by Verano
    on

Karenv

That recipe looks lovely just wondering if a stick blender would the job as well as a food processor. Just so much easier to clean!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Just a little addenda to the Cauliflower Steaks. The Thursday chef (Nigel) on Simon Mayo’s Show on BBC Radio 2 ( 5.00 pm – 7.00 pm – Nigel’s slot is on between 6 and 6.30) was cooking spicy cauliflower steaks, this is available to hear again on the iPlayer for 30 days.

I haven’t gotten the chance to listen to it yet but will.

• posted by karenv
    on

Verano I’m sure you could, once the cauli and garlic is steamed it becomes pretty tender… So it should whizz up with a stick blender I would think. Try it and let us know 🙂

Mm spicy cauli steaks sounds good now!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Oh a text version of the recipe for the Spiced Cauliflower Steaks is to be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07l5fx1
    I haven’t counted carbs, cals or anything yet so forgive me for that

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m going to try the garlic mash tonight with roast chicken!

One more recipe:

Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup
    Approx 6 servings

1tbs olive oil
    1 medium/large head of cauliflower, cut up
    4 red peppers, skin removed & chopped (grill/roast/flame leave in sealed polythene bag to cool, skin)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 or 3 sticks of celery, chopped
    2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes
    1.5 litres water
    1tsp smoked paprika
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and celery together in olive oil until soft.
    Add smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds or so.
    Add cauliflower, stock cubes and water and cook for about 20 mins.
    Add red peppers and cook for a further 20 mins or so.
    Whizz with stick blender/liquidise.

Makes a really lovely creamy soup.
    About 80 cals and 10g carbs per serving.
    I haven’t tried freezing this yet as we ate it all in a couple of days! Think it will freeze well though.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

karen the cauli mash sounds great, plus I have just signed up to the nomnompaleo web site to receive more recipes. My daughter has been doing paleo and has lost over 3 stone in 6 months. It is just another source of good healthy recipes. Thanks.

on

Disappointed with the nomnom site, it promised a free 50 page virtual recipe book, came out at 26 pages of which about 20 were blank. Still going to get the daily email recipes though

• posted by Verano
    on

The cauliflower mash was a great success! Almost as good as mashed potato. I only used 4 fat garlic cloves and 5 would have been better!

Will definitely make it again.

• posted by karenv
    on

oh are you from NI too Ziggy? I’m in Belfast 🙂 That’s good to know about the frozen cauliflower – will remember that cheers!

Glad you enjoyed the cauliflower mash Verano – I love it, so nice and creamy and makes a change, I am going to try a fish pie at the weekend and top it with the cauliflower mash and see how it goes!

Found another recipe today which looks nice as a snack – roasted cauliflower poppers (although she suggests serving them with ketchup which would be a blood sugar disaster, so maybe just have the cauliflower snack). If you have 1/4 cauliflower as suggested, one serving is 164 calories, 13g fat, 11g carbs, 4 g protein. But I guess you could have a smaller portion or cut out some of the suggested fat, instead of the amount she says

http://www.delightedmomma.com/2012/01/baked-cauliflower-poppers.html?m=1

on

Loved the cauliflower mash. Lots of garlic and it tasted just like mashed potato. That is on my Sunday roast menu now.

• posted by Verano
    on

I know this isn’t cauliflower but I tried courgetti spaghetti last night and it was wonderful! I just fried it for a few minutes in a tablespoon of olive oil and then tossed it in a homemade tomato sauce and added some anchovies and capers. Just stirred in some fresh basil and it was really good! Guess you could grate some Parmesan on it and serve with fish or prawns or even meatballs.

Has anybody used sliced courgettes instead of lasagne sheets? Not sure about the texture.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’ve also done the cauliflower mash mixed with horseradish sauce. That was also good. But the garlic one is great!

on

Horseradish, that sounds great, also mustard

• posted by loopylou
    on

OMG I just made the garlicky mashed cauliflower posted above by KarenV. It is delicious. If you’ve got a cauliflower and some garlic, get into that kitchen right now!

• posted by Wilma Flintstone
    on

I made a cauliflower pizza base last night
    you blitz a cauliflower like you do when you make rice, put it in a pot of boiling water and cook it.
    Then strain it in a fine sieve once it is strained put the cauliflower mash on a tea towel wrap it up and then squeeze out all the water you can. This stops the pizza base from turning into a sloppy mess.
    Once it has most of the water removed add an egg and herbs and mix it.
    Then put it on a tray with baking paper and shape it- it should be 1.5 cm thick and the edges can be slightly thicker.
    Bake in the oven 200C for 35-40 min then you can add your pizza topping.
    You can actually pick it up and eat it like normal pizza.

• posted by Jazzy Sammy
    on

Wilma – What a brilliant idea! I had an urge for pizza the other day but wisely decided against it. Now I can eat pizza again.

I made rice cauliflower last week and cooked it on the stove top.

I was surprised at how great it tasted. It can easily pass for rice and was a wonderful substitute.

My next recipe is going to be a vegetable curry on top of cauliflower rice.

on

Oh Mrs Wilma, that must be where I am going wrong with the pizza base, I only cooked it for about 10 mins (the recipe said that) and it was a bit firm but as soon as I put on the topping it went soggy. Sounds like yours got really firm and crispy. I have another recipe using cougettes with egg and parmesan, very similar.

BTW I absolutely love the cauli mash, mixed with garlic or try horseradish or mustard. Love it.

• posted by Izzy
    on

ohhh those look good! I don’t have a waffle maker wonder if you could just fry them in a non stick pan… I do have a george forman grill but I can’t see it working in there lol

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Yummy!
    There is someone in the comments who successfully made them as pancakes so obv doe able without a waffle maker. Another to add to my “to make” list. Thanks Izzy

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow!! Love the garlicy cauliflower mash. It’s now a firm addition to my menu items and will be a definite for Christmas. I used fresh cauli and made sure to cook it well. Blitzed it with a stick blender and the result was a very smooth mash.

• posted by Verano
    on

Ok! Now I’m done with cauliflower!!!!

Tonight I tried caulifower fritters …. don’t !!!

They were relatively easy to prepare but just fell to bits and didn’t even taste of much!!

Love caulifower mash with …. mustard or horseradish and especially with garlic. Really love cauliflower rice and especially fried ‘rice’ with vegetables.
    Roast is wonderful with or without spices .

Seems to me that we should just eat cauliflower as cauliflower once you try to use it as a substitute in anything other than mashed potatoes it just doesn’t work.

If you know different please post your recipes …. look forward to hearing!

• posted by Frog
    on

Not exactly a recipe, but I had cauliflower and paneer bhajis from Waitrose for breakfast.
    I got them after the gym, and ate in the park – probably better warmed, but I’d eat them again!
    (Warmed = Cooking! almost a recipe)

• posted by Verano
    on

I thought I might be able to find a simpler way of making garlic cauliflower mash. I roasted the cauliflower and garlic in tinfoil in the oven whilst I was roasting a chicken. Think I overcooked it …… The cauliflower disappeared to almost nothing and the garlic was really bitter not sweet as I had imagined.

Just goes to show you can’t improve on perfection so back to steaming my cauliflower tonight!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Not cauliflower but wanted to bring this thread back to the top for any newbies!

I did report my courgette lasagne a few weeks ago on another thread ….. wasn’t a success. The texture of the ricotta/egg mix wasn’t to my taste and the courgettes were a little wet.

Maybe somebody has a better recipe for low carb lasagne???

Courgetti spaghetti bolognese is great, maybe I will have to be content with that !!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I used a bag of cauli and Broccoli florets for my mash, boiled with the garlic and a chilli pepper and then mashed and it was absolutely fantastic, just added a little salt and pepper and sprinkled a little grated parmesan on the top.

Re lasagna, have you tried thinly sliced aubergine? I haven’t but it is on my list to experiment with.

• posted by Verano
    on

That sounds lovely! I like both cauliflower and broccoli but have never thought of cooking the two together! Will give it a go.

I really don’t like the texture of aubergine but in saying that, I’ve not had one for many many years. The last time was in a moussaka and I think the ‘new’ aubergines no longer need salting before cooking so maybe they have a different texture?????

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Please try cauliflower roasted in the oven with oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Cut into florets and include the bits of leaves. You can also cut them into big slices (top to bottom) like steaks if you like.

And when the (inevitable) little bits get brown and crispy and look burnt – they’re delicious!!!!! 😉

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Thanks for the suggestion, I have a couple of small organic cauliflowers at the moment that i was wondering what to do with, and am now considering roasting them whole with the oil, salt and pepper on. I think I will try it for tea tonight and let you know how it goes. I have done the steaks a couple of times, with sometimes a spiced coating and am considering adopting them for next year’s BBQ season, probably cooked indirectly.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Aubergine is likely to be spongy still unless it is very thin, but I am hoping that with the white and red sauces it will be less noticeable, will let you know how I get on if I try it soon.

on

You are right Verano, new aubergines are much better, they have found a way to grow out the bitterness without salting. I too had not had it for about 40 years (also in a lasagne) but I did the roasted one and loved it. You need to cook for a bit longer than it says in the book to get rid of the sponginess and only 15 calories per 100 grams. Must try the cauliflower roasted, getting a bit sick of the mash.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

Not sure you’ve turned me onto aubergine … will wait to see a few more comments !!!

Roasted cauliflower is lovely and even if it looks a bit charred it’s so sweet! I particularly like it marinaded in yogurt and spices and then roasted. Great with a bland fish like cod.

• posted by Bissell
    on

I tried the cauliflower and chicken biryani from the BSD new recipe book tonight. It created a lot of washing up but it was delicious! Is it only my kitchen that gets covered in bits of cauliflower when making the rice?!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Needed to cook the whole cauliflower for longer (I did it in a tagine to avoid it drying out too much, but it ended up a little al dente), will be persevering though as it was delicious.

• posted by Verano
    on

I think if the cauliflower is really fresh and ‘tight’ it would be a real struggle to cook it through ! Probably best if you cut into thick steaks as Igorasusual does.

• posted by Frog
    on

3 rice methods compared:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/whats-best-way-cook-cauliflower-rice

personally, if I’m eating cauliflower rice with something hot and ‘liquidy’ that will soak into the rice, I just blitz in a food processor and use it raw, but I am keen to try roasting it with spices.

On aubergine, I tried this the other day and really liked it:
    Moorish Baba Ghanoush-ish Aubergine Dip
    It’s actually a thick, pate like consistency; I ate some as it came like that, and also ‘diluted’ some with Greek yogurt to make an amazing salad dressing, and you could do the same for a ‘dip’ consistency

Please log in or register to post a reply.