101 Ways with cauliflower !!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Thought I would bring this thread back to the top again after I tried your cauliflower mash.

I made mine tonight, steamed it, mashed it with pepper and butter and then put it back into the oven.

WOW!!!! I can’t tell you what a difference it made to the flavour by ‘roasting’. It was really good will keep doing it that way.

• posted by Verano
    on

Wanted to bring this back to the top especially for the newbies.

I had my first ‘real’ BSD meal for ages tonight ….. courgetti spaghetti with my spicy tomato sauce, anchovies and Parmesan. I’d forgotten just how good it is. Didn’t miss the pasta or the meat!

So thought I would bring this back to the top to remind us just what can be done with the humble cauliflower!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Was flicking through a recipe book in Waterstones earlier and saw a mention of cauliflower ‘steaks’. Apparently you just cut slices through the whole cauliflower. Anyone tried this?

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Lynne: That’s how my husband and I cook our cauliflower. We slice it like steaks and add olive oil, salt and pepper to it and roast it in the oven. Slice it with the stem on to hold it together, some pieces will fall off just roast those too.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

I don’t really have success with roast cauliflower as it usually turns out hard and burnt! Can you tell me what temperature you cook it at and for how long roughly. Do you cover it or leave it open? I have tried roasting it covered with tinfoil for around 15mins and uncovering it and that’s ok but could be better.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have tried both steaks and a whole roast cauliflower. Steaks were more successful and can be flavoured with herbs or spices, I have yet to try them on the barbecue though, I will have a go this year. The whole slow roast cauli was still a little crunchy, although it tasted fine, done in a tagine and again with some spices. My preferred way is usually mash with chilli and garlic, although cheeses and fresh herbs is also nice. Broccoli also responds well to many of my favourites.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’ve tried it mashed with garlic but not chilli. Sounds like a great idea!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I blitz cauli in the food processor and then microwave it for a couple of minutes. I like it crunchy with curry. Much nicer than rice. I really fancy it mashed with garlic and chilli sounds fantastic. Watch this space.

• posted by Verano
    on

I tried the cauliflower with garlic and chilli last night. I used tabasco and it was very nice. Might try it with some fried shallots and fried chilli. I just add the garlic to my steamer while the cauliflower is steaming but it may be good fried with the shallots and chillies. Will let you know when I’ve tried it!

I also use it as cauliflower rice but haven’t done for ages …. maybe its time for a stir fry!

• posted by Verano
    on

To the top

• posted by MaryR
    on

Having tried various methods to get cauli rice just right (cooks too unevenly in the oven, some burnt, some too crunchy), this is what I’ve ended up with- chop into small pieces (food processing just ends up as mush) and stir fry about 5 mins with 1tsp coconut oil, salt, pepper and a tsp of cumin seed. Caraway seed works well too.
    I haven’t tried microwaving, since this is not a method of cooking I like.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Odd I know, but it’s never occurred to me to cook the cauli rice! I have always have it cold. I find if it’s blitzed in short bursts in a processor, it works perfectly okay for me. Will try frying it at some point, to see how that works – might do it with a curry at the w/e.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

SunnyB Me too although just before serving I stir in olive oil and seasoning and then give it a quick blitz in the microwave just to heat it through.

• posted by Verano
    on

I find cauli rice a but ‘granular’ when it’s uncooked. It’s great stir fried with vegetables, egg and a protein if you fancy one.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Have you tried using the grater blade in the food processor, MaryR? The cauli comes out far more like long-grained rice than if you just use the chopper blade which best case scenario turns it into couscous, and purees it if you go a little too long.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Verano, thanks for pushing this one back to the top. I did my broccoli and cauli mash again tonight, but realised to my horror I had no fresh chillies in, and remembered your Tabasco variant. Used some dried jalapeño flakes as well and a little coriander leaf with some creme fraiche added last thing and stirred in, it was lovely.

• posted by Verano
    on

That sounds delicious mixnmatch I think I will try that tonight with the sea bass I should have had last night! I found an avocado in the fridge which I though was over ripe but when I opened it it was perfect. So made some tuna mayo and had that will the avocado. Lovely!

• posted by Verano
    on

Mixnmatch I put a tablespoon of crème fraiche in my cauliflower last night and I just couldn’t believe what a difference it made. It was really lovely. Will definitely do that again.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thought I’d bring this to the top again for anybody like me needing a bit of inspiration.

Last night I made roast cauliflower pieces and I put just a sliver of butter on them as well as a very small drizzle of oil. The butter really added a good flavour if you have the extra calories. I doubt if I used more than 20g of butter for two portions.

• posted by zebbie
    on

Ive used aubergine in ‘lasagne’. I sliced them about 1cm thick, put on a baking sheet lightly sprinkled with olive oil and cooked them for about 10 mins ( I can’t remember exactly as was ages ago but they dried out a bit) then layered them between the meat sauce. Was pretty good substitute.

on

Not cauliflower but back to aubergine. I made the lasagne using aubergine sheets (pre0cooked) and my 8 year old grandson said “that’s not lasagne nana, its moussaka” – clever clogs.

• posted by Verano
    on

Back to the top again!

I have started making a ‘cauliflower loaf’ with left over mashed cauliflower. Fry an onion, some peppers, garlic and mushrooms or whatever you fancy. Add the vegetable mixture to the mashed cauliflower with salt and pepper, chilli, if liked, and an egg. Put into a loaf tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or so. Grated cheese or Parmesan on top would also be nice. Could also be shaped into ‘cakes’ and fried in a little oil.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good tip there on the using up caulimash. Will definitely be giving that a try at some point – think I have a tub of caulimash in the freezer actually and I’m keen to run the freezers down a bit now, in prep for the festive season.

Good to see you about again, by the way Verano, hope things are going well for you.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Sounds rather nice, Verano, adding it to my list of dishes to try.

As SunnyB said, nice to see you again. I hope all went well for you with your op and recovery.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you both. On the mend now so actually feel like cooking again! My ‘cauliflower loaf’ is in the oven as we speak so will let you know if this one works. They’re all a bit hit and miss as I just throw in what I have at the time!

• posted by Michele62
    on

An easy and yummy cauliflower recipe is to bake a whole cauliflower with most of the tough outer leaves removed in the oven at 220 C for about an hour. Check it is done, and then dress with homemade salsa verde and serve. It should be able to be carved at the table with a serving spoon.

I use salsa verde as a standby ( it’s great on baked salmon too). I make a big batch and it will keep in the fridge for three months easily, due to all the salt from the anchovies and capers.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Michele62 I have tried but failed to roast a whole cauliflower! Maybe I had the oven too low as I tend to cook most things on 180C fan. I did roast some florets for the first time in a while at the weekend and had forgotten just how yummy those burnt bits are! Would love your salsa verde recipe please.

Here in the northern hemisphere autumn seems to have arrived with a vengeance so maybe it’s time to share those soup recipes again.

So to start us off here’s a recipe I posted earlier on this thread ……

Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup
    Approx 6 servings

1tbs olive oil
    1 medium/large head of cauliflower, cut up
    4 red peppers, skin removed & chopped (grill/roast/flame leave in sealed polythene bag to cool, skin)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 or 3 sticks of celery, chopped
    2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes
    1.5 litres water
    1tsp smoked paprika
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and celery together in olive oil until soft.
    Add smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds or so.
    Add cauliflower, stock cubes and water and cook for about 20 mins.
    Add red peppers and cook for a further 20 mins or so.
    Whizz with stick blender/liquidise.

Makes a really lovely creamy soup.
    About 80 cals and 10g carbs per serving.

This soup does freeze well.

I have also seen a recipe for cauliflower and garlic soup with coconut milk. It sounds lovely but I’m not sure about the calories etc. I’ll have another look and post it if it isn’t too OTT.

Any other soup ideas?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I have to step aside on the cauliflower question as it is not my favorite vegetable although some raw in salads is ok.
    My go-to soup recipe is endlessly variable but works with whatever vegetable(s) you feel like eating or are on sale at market —
    Sauté 1 chopped yellow onion (or red or white if you prefer that flavor with your vegie choice) in 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil and/or butter until very soft. Add any spices/herbs you like at this point to “roast” them a bit with the onion. Deglaze pan with white wine (1/2-1 cup) and cook down so there is just a bit of moisture. Add 1 celeriac (celery root) and 1 butternut squash (peeled and chopped) (ANY vegetable or combination of veg will work) and a quart of low sodium organic chicken broth, and 1 can organic canellini beans (drained and rinsed). Cook very gently at simmer until whatever vegies you are using are soft. Use a stick blender to blend smooth.
    The canellini beans will make the soup creamy but I also add a bit of heavy cream (NOT half and half) up to maybe 3/4 cup to finish at the end.
    Also add good sea salt to finish to your taste.
    I add up the calories depending on the vegies used and if I used cream to finish — then just divide by your number of servings — it always works!

• posted by Verano
    on

That sounds lovely Californiagirl. I make squash soup but have never added beans. Will give that a go but maybe without the heavy cream. Still find it a bit difficult to get my head around using cream even after over a year eating this way!

• posted by tigs
    on

I agree that looks like such a good recipe with the creamy factor going on as well, Californiagirl. I’m a soup lover no matter time of year as enormously satisfying and filling.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Tip: replace beans with soybeans and you’ll cut an enormous amount of carbs. You can get them dried both in yellow and black. (I order them online here: http://www.shilohfarms.com/categories/Legumes/ ) You soak them overnight and simmer them just like you would with any dried bean. The black ones are available canned too from Eden Foods.

• posted by Verano
    on

I have never cooked with soy beans but now of course I’ve looked up some recipes for edamame beans!!! I will definitely have a go at an edamame hummous.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

So soy beans are hard to find non-GMO and also, I have read that soy is “inflammatory” and should be consumed in small quantities. Has anyone else read this?
    I love the canellini beans because they are really high in fiber and they taste amazing! 😀

on

The problem with soy products is that it is that their is so much conflicting evidence. It is supposed to be good for lowering cholesterol yet they also the omega-6 richness in soya oils can prevent the body breaking down essential minerals. Besides the oils I think you would have to have a lot of beans for it to cause problems. In moderation okay but look at the pros and cons – supposedly not good for women who are post menopausal either as it stores fat but I was only told not to drink soya milk. Very confusing evidence.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

CAULIFLOWER MASH TWEAK: this is what works best for me and have served it to folks that could not believe they were not mashed potatoes….come out much denser and not at all watery.

I boil a head of cauliflower in salted water (as you would pasta) with 5 cloves of garlic.

Then the key thing is I put it in a potato ricer. This is usually used to force potatoes thru to give them a fine fluffy texture. But for the cauliflower, it just squeezes out all the water. And I mean ALL the water.

Put “riced/ squeezed” cauliflower in a food processor with the garlic, add 1/4 cup of dried parmesan cheese (like Kraft that comes in the shelf stable carton), 1/4 cup of ricotta (if you have some …I always do), a pinch of cayenne and a pinch of nutmeg. Whiz up. Add salt and pepper to taste & serve.

Leftover mash also makes terrific “faux potato cakes” the size of a burger. “Flour” both sizes with a mix of half ground flax seed and half carton style parmesan cheese with some garlic powder and onion powder, pinch of cayenne. Saute in a nonstick skillet on med-high until golden brown on both sides and just warmed in the middle. Yummy.

CAULI RICE TWEAK: I throw roughly chopped cauliflower in a blender and then fill nearly nearly to the top with water and blend for 2-3 seconds then drain it in a sieve….instant cauli rice. Add some oil (or butter, my favorite is coconut oil) to a skillet and stir in a bit of turmeric for color and for the health benefits. Then add cauli rice and saute a minute to dry it out a bit. Add salt & pepper and maybe some finely chopped green onion. The big revelation was adding 2-3 Tbs of hemp hearts. They add a bit of heft to it and sauces seem to cling to it better with the hemp hearts. They are also high in protein and carb free and good for your digestive health. Enjoy.

• posted by Verano
    on

Luvtcook I will definitely try my cauliflower through a ricer. One of the problems has been the wetness. I often put it in the oven for 15 minutes of so after it’s mashed just to dry it out but this way sounds much bettter

I have tried ‘potato cakes’ but not with much success so may give yours a go.

I used to use cauliflower rice but just didn’t really take to it apart from in the occasional stir fry. Now if I have a Thai curry I serve it over slightly steamed sliced asparagus and/or broccoli florets and I must admit I no longer miss rice but I have been eating this way for quite a while now! We are out for a Thai meal tonight and I have bok choy instead of rice and it’s lovely just takes a little time to get used to rice less meals with Indian, Chinese etc food.

I have a block of organic silken tofu ……. any ideas???

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

I do a lot of cooking but to be honest, have never had a ton of luck with tofu. It seems like so much work to make it taste like anything!

But my favorite local Thai restaurant has a lovely Tom Yum lemongrass soup that you can get with chicken or, you can order it a la veggie (my preference)….tons of large veg pieces (that goofy ear of baby corn, a slice or two of carrot, a few of broccoli, onion and some ginger), and a couple big cubes of siken tofu. Lots of cilantro tossed on top. It just feels like good health in a bowl. I love tofu that way swimming in a spicy citrusy steaming bowl of broth.

Sorry to be of so little help. Sounds like time for a good Google search.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Mayo! In my experience, silken tofu doesn’t work at all in applications that require it to retain a recognizable solid state. That’s what firm and extra-firm are for. It is a fantastic low calorie, low carb shortcut to creaminess. Here’s how I make my fake mayo. Drain a 1lb block of silken tofu in a colander or sieve for 10-20 minutes until all the loose liquid drips off. Toss it in a blender or food processor with a clove of garlic, the juice of half a lemon, salt, pepper and smoked paprika (or herbs of your choice). Blend until smooth. I add a half teaspoon of plant gum or konjac powder to thicken it so it won’t separate after a couple of weeks in the fridge, but that’s not necessary. If it separates just give it a quick whisking and it’ll be right as rain again.

A tablespoon serving has 8 calories and .25 grams of carbs. You have to use a quarter cup of it to reach even a single gram of carbohydrate. This is why I bother. I use it as a replacement for high-calorie regular mayonnaise in egg/tuna/chicken salads, but it also makes a great addition to anything that needs a creamy element, like salad dressing and dip.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you both. I know so little about tofu I just thought it was a good idea to add some to my shopping list …. it just sounds so healthy! I think mayo it is! Thanks Esnecca I’m going to try that later and have it with some tuna. It sounds like an amazing substitute for mayo both calorie and carb wise. I’m sure you have posted that recipe before but I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to look for it now. Will let you know how it works out.

Luvtcook I did eat Thai last night and had mushroom Tom Yum I have never fancied tofu in it I think because I’m not sure I would like the texture. The soup was lovely though!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s great, Verano! I have indeed posted it before and I didn’t want to search for it either, which is why I forgot an ingredient: 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Gives a little zazz. Enjoy your tuna salad. You can throw caution to the wind with this mayo and make your tuna as creamy as you want. There are so few things you can do that with on the Fast 800.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you! I have been so busy today I didn’t get to either the mayo or the tuna! Only got to the ironing and following on from another thread, I keep washing, ironing and wearing these far too baggy clothes ….. why? When did you start to get rid of your ‘bigger’ clothes. Was it early of late on into your weight loss?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I did it in stages, V. Every time I got to the point where I could no longer keep my pants up, I went through my closet and dresser and filled a box to donate to Goodwill. I found it very helpful in keeping me looking forward and not stuck in the sad billowing black polyesters of my past. I would buy exactly two pieces every 4 sizes or so I went down: a pair of black pants and a pair of sweats. The shirts I could work with for as long as it took, but your bottoms really do have to at least kind of fit. The last major purge was in September and it made way for the lovely new clothes I snagged at the Labor Day sales. Now I’ve added a ton of winter clothes to the mix so the few big sweaters that managed to survive my ruthless purges have gone to Goodwill too.

• posted by Verano
    on

You are one remarkable women and I have great admiration for you!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What a lovely compliment, Verano, especially coming from someone who has accomplished a feat that multiple medical practitioners told you was impossible. Thank you kindly. I swear I wasn’t like this for two solid decades or else I wouldn’t have needed to shed dozens of dress sizes in the first place. 😀

• posted by Verano
    on

I wear trousers with elasticated waists so I can hang onto them for longer! I suppose the battle has really just begun … we may have both achieved a new ‘status’ but it’s keeping it that will be the real test!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ladies, I don’t have a shadow of a doubt that you both will!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thought I would bring this thread TTT again especially for the new BSD’ers and for those of us needing inspiration! Enjoy!

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Verona – thanks, this is fabulous 😊 There are lots of ideas I would never have thought of!

• posted by Verano
    on

Maybe time to bring this back up to the top too!
    I have realised that my cauliflower, steamed, needs no more than 10 minutes otherwise it goes really mushy. I use a hand blender to whizz it. It’s so easy to over cook cauliflower and turn it into mush so try less rather than more cooking time. Trial and error!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Once again V, you’re ahead of the curve and getting us all thinking again! So easy to fall into a food rut and having a thread like this popping up again to remind us of simple variations really helps. Also made me remember I have two tubs of frozen cauli-mash sitting in the freezer – will be getting one of those out to use this w/e.

Please log in or register to post a reply.