1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Lol MissZiggy I have two handbags! One I used all the time and replace when it’s falling apart, and a tiny black one for very special evening use. Who needs more than two?

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Miss Ziggy. When I was looking after my mother I had piano lessons for twelve months. I had to stop when she became very poorly and have not gone back. I do have a little tinkle now and again. I think I would have more lessons but we are out and about quite a lot in our motorhome. Hope you enjoy your lessons. By the way I enjoy the Korma from the cookbook. Have you tried the Biriyani?

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Ha ha ha……………….

I have been to hairdressers this morning for the first time in 7 months. I was trying to grow it but at 63 have decided its not for me.

Anyway…….I walked in and my hairdresser asked me if I had lost weight……

Yes I had……..she asked what I had been doing and had I done it with Slimming World………..you know the rest of the conversation about the diet so I will not repeat it.

But the best remark EVER was……You are not going to lose anymore are you Fairyface?

Errrrrr……….yes about about 5-6 stone. Silence.

People really don’t understand what a lifestyle change is do they

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Hello everyone.

Good news from this end: I had the results of my blood tests back today and my new cardiologist confirmed that I do not have the same potentially killer cardiovascular syndrome as my brother. So that is a major relief. (Not that it makes me any less sad about my brother’s condition of course.)

In fact, all my tests came back as good (including blood sugar!) except one, which is a marker for potential future heart disease. Needless to say, given that I am carrying more than five stone extra for my height, it was pointed out as being the likely prime reason behind it. So we have mutually agreed that I will go back in three months having lost some weight for a re-test. It seems that my blood sugar levels are good but my blood fat levels are still slightly too high. So I need to cut fat as well as sugar now too. Upping the exercise is critical too apparently. I got a real telling off about how little I move…

(My liver profile also came back as good, which is gratifying seeing I was diagnosed with stage 2 non-alcoholic liver disease this time six years ago. I have now been in remission for 4.5 years which has been wholly due to previous diet changes and the beginning of my understanding about how my body does not tolerate all the carbs I stuff into it.)

So it’s onwards and downwards, now with the added incentive of having a scientific internal gauge into the mix, not just my dress size! I recommend having some bloodwork done if you can to establish a baseline on your health. Physical changes on the outside are great motivators but so is having access to some ‘science’ to see it working on the inside too!

Hope you are enjoying your new hair-do Fairyface! You remain an inspiration.

Sarah x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Don’t cut out the good fats. It has been proven that olive oil is the elixir of life and can help reduce heart disease. I know eating full fat food like cheese and butter in moderation as well as having oil, avocados and nuts have helped reduce my cholesterol and triglycerides. Fat is not the enemy, trans fats are, processed foods are and chemically enhanced food (like margarine) and low fat alternatives are. So are carbs which clog us the liver making it harder to do its job.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you Carb_Addict. Good News for you on the heart front, its a bitter sweet result for you really.
    So you have got to move about a bit more have you? That is the only thing I am struggling with at the moment. I am not motivated at all to get out when it is cold and wet.

Hubby and I went out for a curry on Monday night. I had a starter of two samosas and an onion thingy…. vegetable curry, no rice. plus a gin and tonic.
    I have been on the scales and am up by 500g. I don’t know if its because I am not moving much or so overweight that if I don’t stick to the recipe book I gain weight. Goodness knows what the scales will show on Saturday.

I have just made the salmon pie from the diet doctor site. Its really nice. We are out for the day tomorrow so will take two portions with us with a salad and freeze the others for lunch next week. 6gms per portion.

Carb_Addict……if you have a step counter and time I will post my steps (very few) and try and increase them if you would like to have a walking partner. Bit of support for each other. Not to worry if you do not want to.

Hand holding to those who need the extra support and encouragement on this journey. Seems as though most have fallen along the wayside.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Wonderful news Sarah health & heartwise & I agree withsunshine-girl on olive oil! Michael Mosleys Trust me I’m a Doctor series last year showed a Scottish university research on the heart benefit of using one tablespoon of olive oil daily compared with other vegetable oils & olive oil was the only one with measurable good effects on the heart. It has more active features I think polyphenols? that might be wrong! But it boosts good cholesterol & reduces the bad! It’s suggested that’s why a Mediterranean diet is good as well as all the veg etc.
    Let’s hope things improve on the job front for you. Both my sons are now searching for new IT contracts & so far no success so my husband & I are getting worried about them. Oh well I suppose they know it’s part of contracting work & both don’t want to return to class 1 employment.
    I have been decluttering encouraged by posts here & so far underwear & socks sortedπŸ˜€
    I’m trying to stay below 800 calories but have wobbled on a couple of days & had lunch out last Sunday with wine so still compensating!
    Keep on going everyoneπŸ‘πŸ‘
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Well done Sarah! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» My husband is worried about his increasing stomach and has asked to join me on BSD …well slap my thighs and go the the bottom of the stairs..I never thought I’d hear him say such a thingπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ this will make life and BSD a bit easier.
    Margaret welcome to the decluttering club! I did handbags today and took*#^%bags to the charity shop. I am too ashamed to say how many. I said good bye to a bag that I’ve owned since 1986😱. I have 10 pairs of leather gloves that had been given to me as presents over the years. I kept two pairs and gave my friend the rest…never been worn. The charity shop will be happy..four Kipling bags amongst the lot I gave them! I really don’t think I am a hoarder I just don’t throw things awayπŸ˜‚ All this is about to change. Most of the bags were stored in the wardrobe in our attic room and most of them were not used. It was time for them to leave home.

MIss Ziggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Only 100g lost this week!

I struggle to drink water and retain fluid when I drink gin! Can anyone explain why this happens to me?
    Not going to get down hearted though.

Onwards and downwards.
    Hows everyone else doing?

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi fairyfaceπŸ˜€
    I think I am doing ok. I don’t weigh myself because I hate the highs and lows and dissapointments of the scales. However the clothes I slimmed into still fit so I know I haven’t gained since the initial weight loss after 8 weeks. I am now thinking ahead and trying to decide on what exercise to do when the weather improves. I would love to lose a bit more. I am still eating BSD with the exception of occasional meals out and a couple of glasses of wine a week. I was worried that the wine might stimulate my appetite but so long as I drink it with meals and not before or after I seem to be ok. Still no biscuits crisps bread rice pasta at home. I do eat porridge for breakfast on work days, protein breakfast on days off. I make my own yogurt too which is lovely!
    Do you drink your Gin with fat tonic or slimline tonic. I have read somewhere that sweetners can cause water retention issues. ….just a thought.
    Anyways this is where I am with BSD at the moment…one day at a timeπŸ˜€
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunday 12th February & weigh in day for me & end of my 6th week. I have gained 4 ounces so more or less staying same but of course I’m not happy & it feels like I have wasted a week. On the plus side the clothes I usually wear are loose & I can see that my arms & thighs are slimmer. It’s such a frustrating business trying to lose my wretched extra weight. My husband although staying around the same weight minus or plus a pound each week is having difficulty stabilising his blood sugar that today was 9.5!!! He does mainly eat BSD with me but has re-introduced crackers with cheese, oranges, bananas & snacks on nuts & raisins. I can only think it is that extra fructose that is having a bad effect which seems odd since it’s still largely a Mediterranean style diet with no bread, pasta or cakes!
    Today he will start doing some exercise with weights with me because I am wondering if he has insulin resistance in his larger muscle groups & after this week we will no longer buy oranges & bananas to see if not eating those will have an effect. It seems now that he will always have to take some Metformin & will not now as hoped be able to ever stop his medication. He will have a check up to review his bloods with his GP in two months so I may be being overly pessimistic! How to maintain good blood sugar levels after reaching a goal weight does not seem to be an easy thing to do judging by my husbands experience.
    I hope you are all doing well! We have discovered where to buy live organic Kefir & are now having that each day to repopulate our guts with good bacteria! As before we continue to be an ongoing health experimentπŸ˜‚
    Margaret xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I am still here …..plodding away. I have been very hungry this week so I will try to up my good fats.
    Just made some broccoli and stilton soup but had to add cauliflower as I did not buy enough broccoli.
    Added about 100g double cream, it was yum. Got two portions for the freezer.

Weigh day for me.

1.10.16 – 114k
    18.2.17- 96.6k

Lost only 400 grams agin this week.:-(

I have had to buy a couple of pairs of jeans/trousers also in a smaller size. Whilst in m&s I also bought three tops. Love them but just need to lose a couple of pounds to look better in them than I do at the moment.

Hope all is well with you and the decluttering is going well or completed.

Am I the only one here now?

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

No Fairyface I’m still here & congratulations on still losing weight. It’s so nice buying clothes in a smaller sizeπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’
    I am weighing tomorrow so will post how I get on because I’m trying to get below 12 stone! But have taken in some too big trousers but not fitting into the next size down yet.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Fairyface – its great that you are still losing weight and having to buy smaller jeans/trousers.
    I have felt hungrier also over the last few days but seem to have settled back to normal today. Bought some lovely stilton today for my brocolli soup – one of my favourite soups.

Wendy – just a thought about your husband’s blood sugars. Crackers, bananas, oranges and especially raisins would really push my blood sugars up when I ate them in the past. I used to use dried fruit if I was having a hypo as it really pushed my blood sugars up very fast. Maybe those foods are causing your husband’s high blood sugars.

Although I am at goal weight and am off the insulin I will never be able to bring those foods back. Because I probably had diabetes and pre-diabetes for so many many years before I was diagnosed my consultant said that my pancreas may never be strong enough to cope with higher carbs. She actually said that she didn’t think I would ever be able to bring fruit back into my diet. I am just so happy at being off all meds and feeling so well that it is a very small price to pay for my health both now and in the future.

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi fairyface I’m still here. Just been a bit quiet as I’ve been poorly for 9 weeks now and not been able to eat properly. Sleeping alot of the time when not working. I have an autoimmune illness which means it takes me longer too get better. Hoping to get back onto the next round soon.
    Luckily I haven’t really put on any weight.

Always listening to you all and supporting you all in my heart ❀️ xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyoneπŸ˜€
    Hi Fairy face…..
    Isn’t it a great feeling when you have to buy smaller clothesπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ».
    Although the I am generally doing well, this weekend I have been totally off BSD and I feel very heavy,bloated and uncomfortable. I’ve had a busy weekend with a meal out Friday, a big Sunday lunch out today and a family gathering yesterday. I’ve consumed more alcohol that I should have done too😭😭😭. I am looking forward to getting back to BSD next week. I am off to make some soup now so I can have some when I get home from work tomorrow. And will buy some steak for dinner tomorrow night. No alcohol for me for a while as I feel I must get back on track. I feel as though I must treat BSD once again as I did back in October! I am so determined not to get fat again😱
    Where is everyone I am missing you all. I hope we all continue to use this forum – I find it so encouraging πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyoneπŸ˜€
    Hi Fairy face…..
    Isn’t it a great feeling when you have to buy smaller clothesπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ».
    Although the I am generally doing well, this weekend I have been totally off BSD and I feel very heavy,bloated and uncomfortable. I’ve had a busy weekend with a meal out Friday, a big Sunday lunch out today and a family gathering yesterday. I’ve consumed more alcohol that I should have done too😭😭😭. I am looking forward to getting back to BSD next week. I am off to make some soup now so I can have some when I get home from work tomorrow. And will buy some steak for dinner tomorrow night. No alcohol for me for a while as I feel I must get back on track. I feel as though I must treat BSD once again as I did back in October! I am so determined not to get fat again😱
    Where is everyone I am missing you all. I hope we all continue to use this forum – I find it so encouraging πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Aww bess you Nickix so sorry to hear you have not been well. Going to work when you feel ill is the pits. have a virtual (((((hug))))) from me for a good recovery.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. It really does gives me a boost by being on here and I am so pleased with myself:-)

This way of eating is so hard but I am convinced its the only way to lose weight. I am so grateful I am not a diabetic but I really am convinced if I had not taken myself in hand I was getting nearer to being really ill. I am lucky to be feeling really well and I take my hat off to all those who are diabetic and are or have managed to come off medication.

It surprises me that I could still go back to my old way of eating quite easily especially bread……but I find I sometimes eat more nuts than I should so perhaps its that which is holding me back from the big weight losses! It also surprises me that some days are a real struggle to get through with the help of a square of cheese or a couple or 12 nuts or a good spoonful of yoghurt.

Anyway…..hand holding for encouragement to those who need it, and get well soon vibes to those who are not as well as they could be.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello everyone it’s the start of the 8th week for me since restarting in January.
    I weighed yesterday & last week lost 2lbs so that is 10 1/2 lbs lost in total but best of all is my BMI is now 29!πŸ˜‡
    Yesterday was a bit mad eating with my two sons & granddaughter here for lunch. I made a Thai fish curry with coconut milk & had a few rice noodles & veg. However also ate duck nibbles & had some wine & chocolate icecream!!! But mad day over & I am determined having reached the milestone for me of 29 never to go up past that again, apart from yesterdays temp blip, & it’s BSD all the way now.
    Thank you KrysiaD for your helpful advice & my husband has cut back on dried fruit & we have not bought anymore oranges & bananas. He has also been joining in exercising with me & his bloods have gone back downπŸ‘
    I’m so sorry to read you are not well Nickix & hope you will soon feel much better.
    Miss Ziggy I’m with you on going off track with family get togethers & eating out but it’s lovely knowing the BSD is a sort of safety net that we can all retreat back to. I have still a way to go to get to my goal weight so still need you all to please keep posting to keep me focusedπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    I have a meal out on Wednesday & have to provide cake today for my beading group! I will continue to focus on eight week blocks of BSD until I get to my goal weight & there is one more week to go for me this next week & I am disappointed that I won’t will have lost another stone by the end of this “8 weeks” .
    Please keep posting everyoneπŸ˜€
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Margaret…like you I get a big thrill seeing my bmi go down. Its still in the 40s but reducing.
    Also good news with your husbands bs. Well done to both of you.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

You will get there Fairyface πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€
    Good luck for the next week.
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi All,
    I’ve suffered a set back ….this week I have flu with the cough and sore throat from hell. I have been fighting it this week but yesterday it got the better of me😭😭😭. I feel awful. Unfortunately I have been drinking fruit teas with honey as the honey is so soothing on my throat. This morning finds me in bed inhaling an OLBAS OIL soaked tissue and feeling sorry for myself. I hate cold remedies such as Lemsip as I feel they leave me congested for weeks but i might have to take it for some relief.

MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

So sorry to read you are unwell Miss Ziggy but being in bed is the best place for you to rest & keep warm! Don’t worry about having honey & fruit teas because the calories are low & if it soothes your throat take it πŸ‘πŸ€’πŸ€’
    I hope you will soon feel much better!
    Take care of yourself!
    Margaret xxxxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Sorry to read you are poorly Miss Ziggy. Have you tried gargling with aspirin for your throat? It works.
    Get well soon

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Weigh day for me:-)

1.10.16 – 114kg
    18.2.17 – 96.6kg
    25.2.17 – 95.4kg

It has been a struggle this week .

Hope everyone is well

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Well done Fairyface continuing to lose weightπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’πŸ’
    Margaret xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you Wendy1947. How are you doing?

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunday 26th February & end of my first 2017 eight weeks. This last week I lost 3/4 lb & in total since 03/01/2017 I have lost 11 & 1/4 lbs & am now 29 BMI & wearing size 12 tops & nearly size 14 trousers.
    I will start my next eight weeks tomorrow & hope to lose one stone during this time. I have to lose at least another two stone to get below 25 BMI & reach my goal weight.
    How are you all doing? Is anyone one else starting another eight weeks?
    I hope you are feeling better Miss Ziggy?
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hello Margaret,
    Well I’m feeling a little better but not able to go to work tomorrow. I’ve never known a cold like this one. I didn’t have the aches and pains of flu but the cough sore throats and constant sneezing and streaming nose was un real! I still have a sore throats and cough but today my runny nose has improved. COngratulations on your weight lossπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ I will be starting the next eight weeks with you! I need to as I have been comfort eating rubbish whilst I’ve been ill. No I tell a lie not eating but drinking prossecco😐😐😐for medicinal purposes you know😏I have a short break to HOlland in seven weeks so it’s a good incentive to start on the eight week plan again. My evening meals have been BSD but I have been a bit bad. Yesterday I didn’t eat lunch because I had no appetite but found room for some cheeslets left over from our Christmas family gathering! I hope all is well with everyone and hope to be more like my normal self again soon!
    MIss Ziggy

• posted by PatC
    on

Hello everyone, long time no speak on the forum, we went on holiday at the end of January, came back from that – had some family issues – then friends from the UK to stay – then more friends from the UK to stay – (so hard to diet with all of this going on), I kept thinking I will read all of the posts that have built up on my phone and ipad and then I will go back and have a chat with my dear friends – but I just didn’t get the time to read the posts and another week drifted by – so apologies to all, I have not yet read the posts (I will) but I felt if I didn’t come on again and say hi everyone I hope you are all ok, I have missed you – I just wouldn’t have come back. Diet wise I am a pound heavier than my lowest weight and so still only 9 lbs down, but a quiet week this week, so hopefully back to the 10lbs loss, I know its nothing to what some people have lost but its good for me, so I am pleased to be back, will read through all of the posts and see how you all are , love and best wishes Patricia

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Miss Ziggy I’m sorry you are still not feeling well but still treat yourself gently with doing BSD although I’m glad I am not the only one continuing. I have eaten 876 calories today.
    Good to hear from you Pat & catch up on your newsπŸ˜€ but gaining one pound is not much & you will soon lose that!
    I am fairly determined to keep going but have also been below par last week & my sore throat is still hanging around it’s most annoying but on the health front we are continuing to take Kefir each morning. My husband has managed to maintain his weight loss & is two pounds under at the moment but we are still working on keeping his blood sugar low!
    I hope everyone has a good weekπŸ˜€
    Margaret xx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

How lovely to ‘see’ you here Pat. Sorry you are still not well Miss Ziggy.
    Also sorry you are not well Margaret have you tried gargling with an aspirin! It works.

Today I have been to a funeral and had to go in black jeans because my black trousers fell down when I tried them on!!!!!!
    They are now in the charity bag. Will have to go out and buy a smaller size for next week as we have a concert to sing at. I was hoping they would be okay so I did not have to spend any money at the moment. Not complaining…..really. Also did not eat much at the funeral because I was to busy talking to my family who I have not seen for a few years. Lovely day really. This evening I have cooked the bacon and broccoli with mushrooms but I was still so hungry I have had yoghurt and raspberries. I don’t think I will be losing weight this week as we are also out for a meal with family on Friday night which is likely to be a bit boozy.

Get well vibes to all who need them and can you send me some ” stop eating nuts and drink plenty of water” vibes to me please.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Just realised my husband and I have just started our 6th month on this way of eating!

The weight loss is very slow and I am thinking it will be another twelve months before I am down to 9-10stone.
    Have not felt this well for years, skin looks okay and I am more mobile now. So it just goes to show
    its a lifetime change not a diet. I still need to get out walking more as I am a fair weather walker but hopefully
    now the nicer weather should be with us soon I will get out more.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi All ,
    I am at the tail end of this rotten cold and feel much betterπŸ™‚
    FAiryface …yes I agree with you, it’s a life change and it’s slow and steady but I think it’s better that it’s not a quick fix! Quick fixes never worked for me in the past I always piled the lost weight back on again. One of the best results of BSD apart from the weight loss is the improvement in my sleep! I wonder if it’s because my body has less food to digest during the night? The other result is that I now dislike the taste of ready made or convenience foods. Even Marks and Spencer ready made tastes a bit synthetic to me now.
    My husband is a secret pub reviewer and a few weeks ago we were requested to visit a pub to review their Sunday lunch. I was really looking forward it . I was so glad it didn’t leave me with the need or cravings for more carbs! We were both uncomfortable and bloated later that evening.
    It is a lovely sunny day here today and I have also been thinking about getting my bike roadworthy 😱It hasn’t been used for a couple of years so needs some work.
    My thoughts have also drifted to my allotment and it’s that time of year again when seed sowing starts. I have given some onion sets an early start and sowed them into modules in the greenhouse.
    I hope everyone is enjoying the weather and hoping you are are wellπŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Glad you are feeling better Miss ZiggyπŸ˜€
    I don’t know what virus it is going around but after two weeks I still have a recurring sore throat & now a cough no doubt getting rid of the detritus!
    I weighed a day early yesterday & have only lost 1/2lb in weight probably because because of taking it easy still feeling below par & not doing any toning or aerobics exercise because of it making me cough. This is the end of the first week of my second 2017 eight week block & I lost 10 & 1/2 lbs in the last one which is rather slow going. At this rate I will get to my goal weight at the end of June that is a rather depressingly long way away at the moment but at least there will be less of me when the weather gets warmer. It seems much more manageable doing it in eight week blocks with that shorter focus then a reassessment as to what I have lost in weight & then starting again.
    Our way of eating has changed so much now that we do feel bloated & uncomfortable eating very few carbs. I think my body has got used to it now & much prefers this way of eating even with the occasional glass of 🍷 πŸ·πŸ™€
    Hope you are all doing wellπŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
    Margaret xx

• posted by Nickix
    on

Hi everyone
    Sorry to hear some of you are struggling. I know exactly how you feel. Still trying to get better from Xmas myself so I feel you’re pain
    Unfortunately I’ve been naughty while I’ve been ill and feel so bloated and can’t stop eating and I know I’ve been going crazy just trying to get control seems to be so hard which I why I haven’t been posting on here. I have been following everyone and well done to everyone so proud. Proud of everyone who has stuck to this and who have stuck by each other.

Keep with it folks. Onwards and downwards xxxx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi everyoneπŸ˜„
    Well I’ve finally shaken off my dreaded virus only to be confronted with early hayfeverπŸ™„ I always get hayfever in March /April this year it appeared very early. Beconase is the key for me…I was suffering so badly that I took a hay fever tablet for a couple of days but couldnt stand the sleepiness! I ditched the hay-fever tablets and squirted up each nostril and now feel okay😜.
    Now to the diet. I am for the most part still sticking to this way of eating with the exception of adding wine . A few weeks ago. I started eating a low sugar high protein bar during my morning tea break but have now decided I really don’t need it. I eat breakfast at 6:00 and was eating the protein bar to relieve boredom and not hunger! So I am back to going right through to 1:00pm to eat lunch. I did this when I started BSD in October quite happily but stupidly started to eat between breakfast and lunch. It’s so easily to fall back into bad habits. I have also stopped eating nuts. I was eating far too much and now that I have stopped I don’t miss them!.
    My declutting is a work in progress and so enjoyable! I have totally reorganised my kitchen and donated a lot of items to our local charity shop. I had a linen cupboard full of sheets, pillow cases etc and have thrown out so many random and spare bed linen. The upside to all this clearing is that my house is starting to become easier to keep tidy. Which was my main aim. I work four days a week and as I am getting older work and house work was becoming harder! I really had to do something. I just didn’t want to spend a lot of time catching up with housework on my days off. I still have a long way to go but it’s all working out well.
    I hope you are well. Our posts seem less frequent at the moment . Please let’s keep this going as reading all of your posts have been a great motivator πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Nickix
    on

Well done Miss Ziggy really proud of you. I haven’t been the best but going to get back on it as I’m feeling horrible not sticking to it. It’s been difficult being ill but hubby’s got his birthday this week and he keeps telling me what a different person I was and is now starting to eat and accept different foods and our way so hopefully if he does start it will be easier for me. One thing I’m worried about is I have to drink cherry juice in water every day for inflammation and I’m wondering if it’ll be ok?
    I relate to you will the hay fever thing as I have to have one daily with steroids and i don’t feel it works so maybe I’ll give the becanaise a try.
    I also agree Miss Ziggy that I’ve really missed everyone from here and have been wondering where they’ve gone? Let’s hope they come back soon cause we do all need the support xx
    Good luck xx

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Nickix
    Personally, I would give the cherry juice a miss as it’s very high in sugar and carbs.
    It’s the sugar that can cause the inflammation in the first place so if you stick to very low carbs, moderate protein and high fat, you may find the inflammation will reduce anyway.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Linda

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Having a rubbish time food wise at the moment because of social commitments & high carb only food availability. So I have had fluid retention from the weekend but according to the scales today, after a fast day yesterday, I have gone up 1 &1/2 lbs which I find really unacceptable! I have now only just got rid of this sore throat & resulting irritating cough so haven’t exercised for nearly three weeks. I will try to get back to exercising & low carbing this week but feel rather defeated & fed up as though I am on a ridiculous gaining weight loop at the moment.
    Margaret

• posted by Nickix
    on

I completely agree Margaret I think we’re all feeling the same. I am trying to get myself motivated again but it’s hard and undoing what we’ve already done is very disheartening. I’ve been finding some videos about this WOE on utube to watch to try and help me. Maybe this may help others?
    Spring is here in the U.K. Which is good so I’m starting to get out more but I know! That it’s my mental attitude that’s holding me back and it’s how to get rid of those demons that’s stumping me at the moment.
    Anyway come one folks let’s help each other. Remember we’re in this for our lives! We need to hitch each other up when we can. Love to all xx Nicki

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello Nickix and Margaret…I feel your pain and sympathise. I decided to have an ice cream yesterday….this morning I had put on more grams than the weight of the original ice cream! Not fair!
    When the carb monster comes shrieking out of the cupboard I usually do something so absorbing that the moment passes (I learned that when giving up cigarettes or also go for a walk) or I watch the diabetes documentary on You tube, a bit bizarre, I know, but it reminds me why I’m doing this stuff. And, of course, you can’t do that in company πŸ˜‰
    My other strategy is one I read on here…the understanding that Food is Fuel just that and that we need to look for our pleasures elsewhere.

Sorry for hijacking your thread..I just wondered if this might help.

• posted by Nickix
    on

Thanks Angela06 that’s great advice and ur not high jacking everyone’s welcome as at the moment I think all of us need the help! Lol.
    I’ve got today off work and going to hairdressers for a pamper as I thought if I did something like that may help. Had breakfast of smoked cod and poached egg in sun in the garden listening to the birds and I’m now going to put some makeup on and maybe put so different clothes on I wouldn’t wear! Usually in jeans or my uniform so something else may do me good

Chin up girls onwards and downwards even if a little sidewards on the way πŸ˜πŸ‘β˜€οΈXx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks I am still here. Pleased to see those who have been poorly are on the road to recovery and hugs to those who are struggling.

Me…..not much to report weight wise, been eating the same meals as we have done since October but my weight is all over the place. My husbands weight continues to go down. I know I have not been out every day for a walk and feel well and put it down to this. But my husband has mentioned a few weeks ago my hair is all over the bathroom. I have also noticed the hair on my hairbrushes is quite excessive. I do/had a good head of hair but I am starting to get concerned. It is quite a bit less than it was a few weeks ago:-/

Anyway the upshot of it is I have been to the doctors today and have a blood test tomorrow for thyroid along with other things and an ECG as I am starting to have palpitations more frequently and slight pain in my chin. I was monitored years ago and I go into AF. Pulse was a bit rapid this morning but I am not worried as it was the first time in three years I had been to the doctors.

She weighed me and I was a lot less than when she last weighed me. On her scales I was 95kg with clothes on but on mine I am 96kg with nothing on! She was fully supportive of this way of eating and said to continue what I was doing.

Hopefully going away for a few days with BSD meals out of the freezer so no cooking, which is always good.

Onwards and downwards folks.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sorry for the gap in posting it’s been a busy & stressful two weeks. Nothing much to report but up & down 1/2lb in weight & now finally recovered from my sore throat & cough & able to exercise again. My weigh in of the third week in this eight week block is tomorrow & fasting today so hope I have lost some weight. There is a loaf of sour dough bread cooking that I will resist that my husband wanted to make!
    I hope your blood test & thyroid results are good Fairyface πŸ‘πŸ€
    I will post again tomorrow after I have weighed!
    Let’s keep on going everyone despite our ups & downs because I certainly will & have four more pounds to lose to have lost a total of three stone.
    Margaret xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunday 19th March & end of week three into my second eight weeks.
    I weighed today & am pleased to report I have lost 2 & 1/4lbs. πŸ˜€πŸ‘I am so relieved to be moving downwards again & I have a further twenty five pounds to lose to get to my goal weight of ten stone.
    My husband is maintaining his weight loss but still has a higher blood sugar level than when dieting & will be seeing his GP for a review of his recent blood test that apparently will show his blood sugar profile profile for the last three months. I hope his medication won’t be increased back to his previous weight loss amount & his bloods will be managed by tweaking his diet.
    I hope you are all continuing to do well?
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Well done MargaretπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ’ƒπŸ½πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»You must be so pleased. Well next week I am back on strict BSD. I have been eating porridge for breakfast for the past three months and will be returning to yogurt and berries or what I call my overnight frittata…..bacon or ham, mushroom,onion cheese or whatever else is available made the day before and reheated for breakfast.My husband is joining me for the first time as he is worried about his increasing belly fat. I haven’t gained weight but after having my bad cold and hayfever I did allow myself a few little treatsπŸ‘ΉπŸ‘Ή. I am all too aware that it would be too easy to slip back to the old ways. I went out last week and treated myself to a bag of cheese and onion crisps. It’s funny but it tasted so synthetic and I really didn’t enjoy them and then wished I hadn’t eaten them.
    Anyways I hope to hear from more of you this weekendπŸ‘πŸ»

MIss Ziggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks. Still here but not very often.
    Results on hair loss it is my thyroid and have been started on medication. Apparently I am borderline but with the lack of weight loss, nails breaking and dry skin GP has given me medication which should help and I started it this morning.
    Weight this morning 94.7kg so it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
    My husbands weight is still going down even if he has a sandwich or a pint! Which I might add is not very often.
    Terrible news for us our son has been taken very ill and is in hospital. Thank goodness for the NHS.

Hope everyone is well.

Edited….everything else on y blood test is good. Cannot remember the figures but doctor said within norma limits. Thank goodness for this way of eating or else I think I would be in the next bed to my son.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi Fairyface and major hugs to you. I hope your son gets well very soon.
    Miss Ziggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Dear Fairyface
    I’m so sorry to hear about your son being very ill & hope he will make a good recovery & that you will soon be able to post better news above him.
    It is good you have your blood test results & are now being treated & as you say thank goodness for the NHS & their staff.

In particular I’m now also thinking of the amazing response yesterday of the NHS, the police & the public to the terror attack with people hurt & who are currently being treated in London. We were in London yesterday in Clapham to see our new granddaughter who was born in St Thomas’s Hospital on Monday just by Westminster Bridge. Had she & her mother been kept in we also would have been walking over the bridge to go to see her & her parents so this terrorist attack felt rather personal & close to home.

Fairyface my thoughts & best wishes to you & your son & family hoping you will soon have more positive news!
    Margaret xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.