1st October Starters Support Group

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Thank you. Back on the Fast800 wagon today, and feel neither happy or sad about it: it is just the way things have to be to move forward in my life. Am sure I’ll get back to my usual peppiness in a few days when my stomach has deflated and I feel lighter. Will tackle the thorny subject of the scales later this week however: would like to get the number down on whatever it is today before for motivational sakes!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Love the word peppiness Carb_Addict.

Weigh day for me

1.10.16 – 114.2
    21.1.17 – 98.4

Just 500g down from last week. But I am happy with that.

The weight is coming off very slowly. Still finding it hard I must admit but really enjoying the food and feeling well is an added bonus.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hey everyone….it’s so good that we are still here to support each other๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐ŸปWell done Carb Addict for keeping positive and continuing with this way of eating. I think that being positive is a huge factor with any diet we embark on!
    Yesterday I got back from an overnight stay at a Spa and felt so much better about my body image on this occasion. I go once a year with a friend that is the same size as Kate Moss and have always felt self conscious about my weight. This time I felt nearly comfortable in my own skin….which is a good sign. I ate well but mindfully but woke up feeling slightly bloated with a bit of discomfort. I think my body protests when I now eat non BSD foods or was it the two glasses of wine and three gin and tonics ๐Ÿ˜! I went shopping today so by this evening I will be back on track.
    I think I have reached an age where I should invest in a swimsuit constructed by an engineer!! I think no amount of diet will keep the flabby bits contained. Back in the day I could buy a cheap swimsuit and look ok I tried a couple from Matalan(dead cheap) but looked cheap on my body too๐Ÿ˜‚ A ยฃ10 swimsuit will not do. Do they make a swimsuit that comes with a free nip and tuck?

Love all of you….
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

When you find a swimsuit that comes with a free nip and tuck let me know please Miss Ziggy.:-)

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

End of third week of being back on the BSD & this week I have lost nearly 1 & 3/4lbs so since 1st January I have lost 6lbs. It’s all rather slower than I had hoped but I have lost inches & continued to lose weight since 1st January.
    I hope things are going better for you Sarah & eating over 800 but following lowish carb principles still works although more slowly as I have shown๐Ÿ˜€
    Keep on going everyone we only have one more week to go until the half way stage๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Good luck everyone ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€
    Margaret xxxx

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Good morning everyone
    Well done and congratulations Wendy and Fairyface and Miss Ziggy.
    In theory as you point out, we are nearly at the half way mark, but in practice, I am no where near it!!!

I have picked up a bit of a head cold so everything tastes like plastic to me!
    I have no energy to be out and about but I am still sticking to 800 cals. I am looking at a bottle of whiskey and trying to calculate the ingredients of a hot toddy!!!! Whiskey, carb free?, Water, no problem, lemons and cloves, great, sugar, bad, but could be left out
    Calories??
    Anyway, I know I could try lemon and honey, but my DNA wouldn’t accept it!
    Hope you are all doing well

Cheers

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Happygirl & I think you can be having a hot toddy because spirits are fairly low in sugar & better than wine & you can include it in your calorie count! My toddy of choice when unwell is hot milk with honey & a shot of brandy or whisky! We call it alcoholic Horlicks๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€
    I hope you soon feel much better.
    Margaret xx

• posted by A new me
    on

Hi everyone! I am so glad to see that you all still posting in this forum. I haven’t been on since Christmas. I’ve been in a bit of a funk…eating of track, exercising less, etc. Maybe it’s the January blues? I finally got the courage to weigh myself this morning and was surprised to be down a pound. I guess that the treats were still far less than what I used to eat and I was still more or less following the BSD for the main meals. I have set a mini goal of loosing 3 lbs to bring my total weight loss to 40 lbs. I hope to find some motivation to get back to exercising. I find exercise to be harder than the diet, for some reason.

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Thanks for your recipe Margaret. I’ll certainly give it a go!
    Love its name!!
    Alcoholic Horlicks!!
    I might change it to Medicinal Horlicks though, just in case people thought that I might be enjoying it!!!!

Bless you

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

At risk of seeming to endorse a commercial product, my (until now, as a bit carby) preferred recourse was Ovaltine (Ovomaltine to our non-UK friends) with a dash of brandy – great for sore throat and that “bunged-up” feeling.
    A more appropriate alternative is ginger tea with a bit of cream and whisky – sounds vile but tastes actually quite nice – but purely for medicinal purposes.

• posted by PatC
    on

Hi gorgeous peeps, I also have been having a rough time this eight weeks, have gained 2.5 lbs this week, so depressing in a way, though I know it is totally totally my own fault, wine has beckoned, ice creams, so I have no one to blame but myself, I actually teetered on the edge of going into the next stone down, and was so excited, and then it was back to that sabotage thing, and I thought IM so close lets try this wine, this ice cream, this cracker, and whoosh up I go, I don’t intend to sabotage. Really, but this last three weeks have been so hard, I keep saying well you had lost 11 lbs keep going, and I will . Sarah what can I say to you, I feel for you, motivation is so hard, but you can do this we will all get to the end of this and be happy little bunnies I know we will, we have lost folks on the way but a group of us are hanging in there, and we will continue to do so until we have reached goal for each of us, saying that I go on holiday with the family on WEdnesday, its my birthday Australia Day etc etc, but – its an airbnb rental not eating out as we have the toddlers with us all, so lots of bbqs and home made food, so I will try to do better. Promise. Fairyface, wow you are doing so well, love it. Well done Margaret, Miss Ziggy, and a new me welcome back to this crazy, fantastic, suffering, up and down group! Hope you feel better happy girl, love to all x

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Thanks PatC and thanks Jules for your recipe too.
    I love this forum as I feel I am among good people who have my best interests at heart.
    If only real life were as simple
    I didn’t go to work today as I have no energy and I feel as if a truck ran over me and crushed my bones to smithereens.
    I am not a dramatic person usually but I would love to be waited on by a flurry of soft spoken grannies spooning homemade soup into me, changing my bed clothes, running me hot scented baths and putting all of my favourite TV shows.while tucking me in.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day but today te biscuit tin is mine

• posted by PatC
    on

Happygirl, well you can do the tv and biscuits,and being tucked in under a duvet, hope you feel better soon x

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Not drank my usual 2-3 litres of water for the last couple of days as we are away. So this will show on the scales on Saturday as I really do retain fluids.
    But…I have taken the dog out for a walk this afternoon and walked faster than I have done for years.
    So pleased with how I am feeling.
    Sorry to read you are not well Happygirl. Hope you improve soon.
    PatC…..chin up and enjoy your holiday.

Hugs to those who need them.

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Happy belated Australia Day to one and all.
    Have been very sick with my poor babies. My twins were very ill too.
    It’s called the flu epedimic, apparently
    My poor kids are running high temperatures and are very unwell. I don’t mind about me, but if my children are down….
    Meanwhile, I look up at the stars and think, our mental health is grand.
    But there would be thousands who would dispute that.
    I have been eating for Ireland, any class of a diet has completely gone out of the window.
    Don’t mean to be so realistic, but this is where’s it’s at today.

Sorry

• posted by Happygirl
    on

Fairyface
    Thank you for your kind words.
    They mean a lot

• posted by Fairyface
    on

You are very welcome Happygirl. I have just read your children are not at all well. Hope
    they are up and about very soon.
    I am sure when the children are well you will soon get back on track. Its so hard trying to think about yourself when
    the family are ill. Try not to loose heart.x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

So sorry to read your children are not well Happygirl & perfectly understandable that following a diet is the last thing on your mind! Hope everyone is soon feeling much better.
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

1.10.16 – 114.2
    21.1.17 – 98.4
    28.1.17 – 98

Only 400g lost this week but I don’t have a problem with this.

Onwards and downwards.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hope you are feeling better Happygirl and that your children are well on the mend, so distressing when they are ill like that.
    Happy ( very belated) birthday PatC, hope you had a lovely day with family!
    How is everyone going as we head into a new week? January has been a bit of a struggle for me too but I am constantly amazed how grateful I am to be able to start afresh after each slip and know I can get back on track!
    Have a great, positive week everyone x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunday 29th January & end of four weeks more or less back on BSD!
    I have lost 6 & 1/2 lbs since 1st January that is a little disappointing but I’m almost reaching 30 BMI & anticipate at the end of the eight week block at the end of February to have a 29 BMI in the overweight range & to be weighing 11stone something. I have managed to keep going downwards & hope to continue doing so & I have definitely lost inches because I am having to shorten trousers because my thighs are slimmer & all my trouser waists too big. However I can’t yet get into the next size down but those trousers are hanging on my wardrobe door challenging me to be able to wear them.
    I hope all your family is feeling better HappyGirl, well done Fairyface on your weight loss & I hope everyone else is feeling well & belated Happy Birthday Pat.
    Come on everyone we are halfway through eight weeks๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Margaret xx

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Right everyone, I’m just checking in to let you know I am still alive.

Since I last posted life has not been easy. In short, I’m paddling very hard under the surface with my new company but it’s proving hard going (economy wobbly here with oil crisis/ Trump etc) and I’m not certain how much longer I can viably (financially) keep up self-employment. It seems it’s just the wrong time to do it. Even just yesterday I was warned that my client in Saudi, who wants to renew my contract, might not now be able to – and that contract is my largest and pays my rent. So my anxiety levels have soared, leading to comfort eating, insomnia, general miserable state etc and it’s been a real fight to keep going and face forward and not down.

On top of that, my brother has been diagnosed with a fairly rare cardiovascular condition (to do with blood lipids) that affects 1 in 10,000 people and raises dramatically his risk of early heart disease, stroke etc. That’s bad enough, except it’s genetic and both my little brother and I now have a 1 in 2 chance of having it too. I am having tests on Thursday which should confirm it either way; my little brother is refusing to get tested. The condition’s progress can be slowed down but it would mean a pill every day for the rest of my life if I have it and there’s consequences to that too. I don’t ‘do’ conventional medicine as a first preference. I am relatively comforted by the fact that a recent cholesterol test came back with excellent results (4), whereas my brother’s was 11-15 (which is how he was sent for more tests in the first place) but apparently this does not mean that I don’t have this condition. My little brother burying his head in the sand is a source of worry for us all. My affected brother’s doctor has not really given him any nutritional advice except to not drink alcohol daily (which he does not) and lower his intake of processed foods (which he lives on). I find this insubstantial and am sure there is more he could be doing.

Oh, and The Chef and I broke up. Not nastily, but I can’t build a relationship with someone I never get to see!

So I have regrouped and taken some decisions. Among these, I have started job-hunting (which might take me anywhere in the world), give up smoking (which I only started recently) and I am back on Fast800. It turns out that a combination of a low-fat Med diet with no meat or dairy, which is what I was originally doing last year, is the best nutritional plan for my brother’s health condition. He won’t follow it but, whether I have this condition or not, it is now going to be my life.

I’m hoping that my anxiety levels reduce too as more stable job options (hopefully) open up and that the effect of the BSD starts to help build back up my self-confidence levels which has taken a small recent hit.

So I’m still here in the background but am focused with my head down on resolving the current stresses and moving forward positively. I believe February will be much easier!

Love to everyone, congrats on the losses, commiserations on the disappointments and happy recent birthday PatC.
    Sarah x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sarah I’m so sad to read your post & to hear about all your troubles. It is so difficult being self employed & having to rely so much on ones own resources & then having to cope with the vagaries of other people renewing or awarding new contracts. Work of course is very important to be able to keep paying the bills etc but so is your health & own well being.
    I’m also sorry to hear about your brothers diagnosis & the worry about yourself & your family that brings. Your plan to eat well again on the BSD sounds positive as well as job hunting that would be a useful stop gap if you also want to keep your own business going. Please don’t lose sight of all the business skills you have & how well you have done so far even if the economy & Trump may be affecting your contract opportunities right now. There is a new financial year starting soon & the world will settle down & adapt to the temporary adverse Trump Effect. Also the chef didn’t deserve you anyway!!
    Keep your chin up & stay positive & I hope February will be a much better month for you than January has been๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Margaretxxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Sarah…..I cannot add anything more than what has been said by Wendy1947.
    I am sure I speak for all the people on here in that we are here to hold you hand as you make some difficult decisions.

Take carex

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Thank you both. I’m doing okay and It’s nice to be in control of my food again. I’m focused on the ‘trinity’ of quality food, exercise and sleep in the knowledge that as long as those are balanced it gives you strength to take on the more challenging aspects of life.

I have been trying on my ‘work wardrobe’ and it’s given me another reason to stick to the Fast800! I started my own company from home in May last year and was in Saudi for seven months before that (in the traditional Saudi dress which is not fitted) so I haven’t worn my ‘proper’ work clothes since late 2015. And I now REALLY can’t get into them!! I used to spend a fortune on my wardrobe for work due to my then-fancy job – and I really love all my fitted colourful dresses, silky shirts etc – so given that I may well be going back into the corporate world again quite soon it’s yet another incentive to keep on. Horror of horrors, even my work shoes are tighter. At least my handbags still fit, lol.

I already have my first interview booked in, for Thursday, with a well-respected global company. That has boosted me a bit: there’s no particular job vacancy but they want to meet to talk possible opportunities. Now of course I am hoping these see past my size (a side 16 in UK terms but I’m short so I look like a barrel) to look at my skills and the value I could bring to them. I think the Dubai office is all men too, so it could be interesting!

I was thinking this morning how I have so many, many reasons to lose the weight and not a single one to stay at the size I am, and yet how hard it is to apply logic in those moments of weakness when all you want to do is stuff your face with crisps.

I’m a firm believer in (most) things happening for a reason and everything being a opportunity to learn more about yourself. I’m hanging on to that at the moment and recognise how blessed I am in life even with this current turbulence. My challenges pale into comparison alongside those faced by so many. So we push forward. x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Carb Addict,

It sounds like you’re getting your mind in the right place. The job hunting sounds like it’s going well. I was reading an article (I think it was in the Economist) that over 60% of corporate appointments are never advertised and are filled through personal contacts and networks. So open discussions with potential employers sounds the way to go. As I always say, “impressions get you interviews, experience gets you the job”. So just remember, don’t undersell yourself.

Your mail was timely as I have been running my own one-man-band business for the last four years after 25+ years in the corporate world. I met with a client yesterday for whom I am doing a restructuring project in their global IT function (not a HR person but how hard can it be?). I am drafting the role description for a new senior role and, out of the blue, the client asked me if I wanted to take it on. Fortunately he’s out on a world tour for the next couple of weeks so I have some time to give it some thought.

Like you, I believe things happen for a purpose, but this one has got me really rattled.

Best of luck in your pursuits.

JM

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sarah good luck for your Thursday interview ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€
    Smart trousers & a jacket also looks good with high heels & is respectful in a Muslim country?
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Hi All and lots of hugs to those of us suffering with what life throws at us! I haven’t checked in for a while and although I have been reading posts I have missed typing my usual nonsense๐Ÿ˜‚.
    I have been continuing with BSD successfully with my only re addition are two glasses of wine a week. I am now able to eat my porridge and berries with yogurt without sweetener. (I had to use sweetener in the early days to adjust to BSD) I don’t enjoy biscuits or most cakes as I now find them too sweet.
    I am glad to see the back of January. It’s such a gloomy month but also a time for thinking. This is not a New Years resolution but I have decided to make my life simpler and easier which I hope will give me more time to enjoy life. I have come to the conclusion that if I de clutter my home it should be easier to keep clean and tidy.i spend far too much time on housework!! I have decided a good place to start is with clothes, handbags and shoes๐Ÿ˜ฑ. It’s a good place to start because I have had to make adjustments to my wardrobe so it’s time to get rid of some items. My aim is to achieve a capsule wardrobe whether I can do it remains to be seen but this is the plan. I really don’t wear or need so many clothes. I do have a tendency to hang on to “things” ..for years and years! If I receive perfume as a present I will keep it even if I don’t really like it. The same goes for hand creams, shower gels, bottles of alcoholic drinks that I never use because I don’t like the taste. It’s time to gift things or donate. I know this will take a long time but it’s a project I am looking forward to. The second area on my list will be the kitchen. I am sure that an organized kitchen will make BSD easier.
    I have been stressed at work these days due to staff shortages. When I get home I am absolutely shattered mentally and physically. My days off aren’t really days off due catching up with chores. I would love to fit in more leisure/keep fit activities but to do this I need to be organised.
    Ok so I am now off to research *capsule wardrobe* whatever the heck this means online.
    Wish me luck……and here’s looking forward to a successful February BSD wise!
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi Miss Ziggy. Lovely to ‘see’ you back here.

May I make a suggestion? Have you tried the bag a day challenge.
    Sort one bag of rubbish a day….knicker and bra drawer one day. Trousers the next.Just do as many you think you could do without being overwhelmed. Keep a count of how many bags you have thrown or given to the charity shop. You will be surprised.

I do this a couple of times a year. Sort a couple of drawers out and fill a bag or two.

Kitchen, I also do one or two cupboards at a time. I don’t go whole hog and do the lot, just creep and go.
    Its surprising simple to do and so achievable when you lead a busy life. (I don’t I am retired)

• posted by Inka13
    on

Good luck with the decluttering Miss Ziggy, it’s a great idea and sure to be very satisfying!! It’s lovely to hear you are still bsding successfully and I agree January is a bit of a funny month, I’m also glad it’s over. Currently down to my lowest weight in since children ( 10 yrs ago!!) after months of faffing on and off the plan so really happy today!!

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Ooo, well done Inka, that’s fantastic and very satisfying indeed!

JulesMaigret: thank you. I think in the Middle East that stat jumps to 99%!! It’s who you know not what you know here, so I am out there relentlessly networking right now to remind everyone I’m alive. Great news to have been given such a professional option to consider: please do let us know the outcome!

MissZiggy: I started this process last year and it has made a huge difference to my life. If you are on Facebook there’s a page called ‘Becoming Minimalist’ which I follow: it has been a good source of advice to me. I realise now that I have not only eat for comfort but I spend for comfort too. Having a much reduced income now I am self-employed has curbed that a lot, but I have ended up with a bunch of stuff I never use, don’t need and on top of that I have to spend more money on renting a bigger place to house it all! ‘What we own owns us’. I can’t believe how much more time I have now I own less (and I don’t feel that I own less either).

BSD wise, all is well here. Coping fine and feeling better/deflated. Ploughing on. No idea on weight loss as I’m aiming to get a head of steam up and get down to where I was in my clothing again before I jump on the scales. First job interview this morning, week!

Have a good day everyone.
    Sarah

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks Sarah! Just had a pikelet though! Idiot that I am ( at least I stopped at one) I’m glad you are back on plan and going streaking ( oops, actually typed ‘steadily’ and that’s what autocorrect came up with!!)
    Good luck with your job interview, hope all goes really well, they will be lucky to have you!
    Miss Ziggy, how is the decuttering going?

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Very well done Miss Ziggy & Inka13 with your weight losses & good luck Miss Ziggy with decluttering. A capsule wardrobe for each season sounds good when I get down to my correct size. My husband keeps trying to get me to declutter because I have quite a lot of clothes & old business/ personal papers that still need shredding. I tend to sort clothes at the end of a season when I have a try on of all the clothes & those that are too large or I know longer like go to charity shops. At the moment I am taking in at the waist & shortening winter trousers that have become too long & loose because I have lost inches on my bottom & thighs๐Ÿ˜€
    Very glad you are coping better now Sarah & good luck with your interviews.
    I notice that I have been less stringent with grocery shopping with mangoes & bananas creeping back in with my husband on a maintenance diet now. Today I became more conscious again of how I can still be tempted by baked buns & cakes so need to resist that. It’s so easy to be tempted by what I see & when the thoughts in my head it makes it difficul! I have got out my SAD lamp because it’s so grey & rainy today so that’s probably affecting my mood. On the Trust me I’m a Doctor TV programme last night it was highlighting gut health & encouraging the growth of good bacteria & recommended fermented food particularly kefir milk that I couldn’t find grocery shopping. We always have natural probiotic yoghurt but would be interested in trying kefir. Has anyone tried it or made it at home?
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Thanks for all the tips on decluttering๐Ÿ‘๐ŸปAnd I particularly like the one about a bag a day! I will also check out Becoming Minimalist . I started small as suggested and today sorted out sock,knickers,bras and nightwear. I can now see the wood for the trees in those areas!
    Sarah I also spend for comfort๐Ÿ™โ˜น๏ธI have always known it but now that I am sorting things out and finding 7 different body lotions unfinished I know I have a problem! Could be that i was compensating for being overweight….who knows?? I won’t go into the 9 handcreams๐Ÿ˜‚And I am mindful that this is our BSD forum but will from time to time let you know how I am progressing with tidying up my home
    It’s great that we are all here for each other ….we can do it

MIss ZIggy ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by AnnieW
    on

I de cluttered my clothes at the weekend after watching Konmari on you tube. After decluttering I folded my underwear/socks/sweaters using her system. It’s surprising how much more you can get into the drawer using this system – and everything looks better and is easier to see. I also began work on my husbands things and they are nice and tidy although getting him to part with anything is another story.

I start on my books this weekend…..

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Miss Ziggy I forgot to say it can be a carrier bag or bin bag a day.
    I have three bags ready to take to the charity shop. I also tried a new blouse on that I bought in October. It
    looked awful on me as it was a large size but pulling over my bust. Guess what, tried it on this morning and it is baggy. It
    still looks awful. Another one for the charity bag:-/
    My weight this week is up and down. I have not drank much water and I also not been out for a walk.
    I really just want to get to the point where I don’t have to think about eating and drinking. Feel quite ‘off’ about it all today.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

You are all inspiring me to have a go at decluttering! That would please my husband๐Ÿ˜‚
    I’m off to History now on the bus so some walking across town to my class. We are waiting for the continental storm to hit us in West Sussex this afternoon! The wind is already gusting.
    I hope you all have a good day!
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

What is the difference between probiotic yogurt and kefir.? Kefir seems to be popular at the moment.
    MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Miss Ziggy I think probiotics are manufactured products with added probiotic bacteria & kefir was originally a home produced fermented milk product I think from Eastern Europe & was a way of keeping milk longer. Sauerkraut is another fermented vegetable product that also seems to include helpful bacteria.
    I found a US site where kefir culture starters can be bought to make it at home, I suppose rather like yoghurt starters using active yoghurt but can’t find that in the UK.
    Margaret

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Another weigh in day for me.

1.10.16 – 114.2
    28.1.17 – 98
    04.2.17 – 97.1

Hope everyone is well, children are better and interviews went well. Best wishes to to you all.

• posted by Theodora
    on

You can buy kefir grains or, indeed, kefir starter kits on Amazon UK if anyone really wants to try making their own. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well done Fairyface.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Theodora I will have a look๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€
    Very well done Fairyface ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’my weigh in is tomorrow but I did allow myself a glass of wine today!
    Margaret xx

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Wine seems to taste better now that I don’t have it as much๐Ÿ˜

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Not sure where you are bas d Wendy1947 but the n the UK you can buy Kefir from the supermarket. In the refrigerated dairy/Polish foods section (in Tesco anyway).

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you AnnieW I live in West Sussex & my husband has been looking up our local farm shops & we can also get Kefir from one of them & they also have classes on making fermented stuff. I have ordered a book from Amazon with some culture & a plastic sieve๐Ÿ˜€
    Kefir seems to be brilliant stuff to help promote good gut bacteria that is more active than the bought commercially produced probiotic drinks. I have been reading that it’s best to start eating only small amounts to let ones gut acclimatise & it seems as easy to make as yoghurt.
    Miss Ziggy I agree about the wine & very much enjoyed my glass of Chardonnay with lunch!
    Margaret๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿท

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

Fairyface you are such an inspiration! Your weight loss progress is AMAZING!!!! I’m so jealous but it’s a great reminder of the amazing progress that happens when you are consistent. My biggest weakness. Well done.

Faced the scales this morning. Still 1.5kgs heavier than I was at my lowest BSD weight but given that I had put on 4 kgs at one point with Christmas and comfort eating, my weight is coming down again. Got my very first ‘you are looking skinny’ comment the other day. I don’t see it yet – at 86kgs I’m clearly NOT skinny – but hurrah!

Given that I’m still yo-yoing in the same 6kg weight loss bracket since October I guess that I don’t have to worry about any rapid weight loss repercussions, lol. Slow and steady does it. I would love to smash the 1.5kgs emotional barrier this week if I can but that may be optimistic ๐Ÿ™‚ That 1.5kgs will be a big deal to me as it will show that I’m really back on my way after the recent inconsistencies.

Feeling more in control of my life too and it’s showing. I have parted ways with my ‘night shift’ start-up colleagues to focus on my own primary business (‘the day job’) and/or getting a new job. Two businesses and a part-time Masters degree was not proving conducive to a healthy lifestyle or my sanity. Starting to understand that I can’t do it all without consequences. I was grabbing food on the go or ordering in out of tiredness again so it was not helping my diet either.

This week: carry on with Fast800; get out and see more daylight; go to bed earlier (now that I have ditched the ‘night shift job); declutter some more also, and start yoga again. And breathe….

Sarah x

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

Well done Carb Addict you are back on track๐Ÿ‘๐ŸปI am loving decluttering it’s making me feel good. Today I am decluttering shoes!! Or handbags. One of my best friend only owns three bags๐Ÿ˜ฑ. I wish …. . Less really makes life easier! If you only have to choose between three bags you will get ready to go out faster and it’s easier to put that bag back in its rightful place. I watched a video on utube yesterday where someone sorts out their bags and it was scary seeing her mountain of handbags. What do you all think…. how many bags does the average woman NEED?
    My husband says two๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I haven’t counted but I think I have about 25!!! When I have finished in the bedroom I am hitting the kitchen. The freezer is still full of non BSD foods and I am not sure how to tackle it. I have a gene inside of me that hates wasting foodโ˜น๏ธ I have bagels, cakes and desserts in there which while out of sight was a bonus in helping me lose the weight. I just don’t know what will happen when I try to organize it all.
    Oh well will cross that bridge etc etc…

MIss ZIggy

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunday 5th February end of week 5. I have just weighed & I have lost 2 & 1/4 lbs this week so pleased with that because it’s better than one pound! Since week one I have now lost a total of nearly nine pounds.
    My husband is maintaining the weight he lost but his bloods are a bit up! I think because he has introduced back in his diet nuts & raisins, bananas & cheese crackers & we are also eating more couscous & bulgar wheat. We are still working out how to maintain his current weight by him eating more but not increasing his blood sugars.
    Sarah very well done getting back on track๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’
    Wonderful weight loss Fairyface ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’
    We are going out to lunch today at Cote Brasserie so I’m really looking forward to that & will have a couple of glasses of wine that I will calorie count into my day eating below my BMR for one day rather than trying for 800.
    Having discovered kefir I have bought from Amazon a book on it, fascinating history about it, kefir starter & a new plastic sieve because it reacts badly to aluminium but is OK with stainless steel & I don’t know what my own one is made from. So into kefir production when it all arrives probably using whole organic milk. The book suggests starting with eating small amounts to acclimatise ones gut but we are looking forward to repopulating with good bacteria ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Let’s all keep on going because it’s only three more weeks to go to complete another eight weeks๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Margaret xxx

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you ladies. I think everyone on here are stars.

• posted by MissZiggy
    on

By the way I cooked the Korma Curry from the BSD cookbook and it was lovely! I have put aside a portion for my lunch when I get home from work and then off to my piano lesson๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
    MIss ZIggy

Please log in or register to post a reply.