ZOOMERS! REACH FOR THE SKY, LOW CARBS IN JULY! – 4 WEEK CHALLENGE TO 10 JULY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Yes drinking loads of water helps so much! Just went for a run and was no slower (still slow lol!) than before the diet so I must be adapting a bit, although I did have a banana before to help me through… theblackspot…. I agree! Keep on keeping on!!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Crikey 27 carbs in a banana, no wonder they aren’t on the plan. 😳

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

It is so good to see you back Greenjanet and with a fire in your belly! Sounds like an alien invasion on this thread!

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Green Janet I know…. so many carbs!!! But 90 calories and accounted for. Plus I burned 600 calories on my run 😇😇

Hubs on his way home, yay!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi California girl
    Yes on it and so nice to see names I recognise.
    Hope everyone has a BSD friendly weekend I’m of to have a reconciliation meet up with my 2 nd sister, I’m completely okay but I think she will be very nervous as it’s her anger that has sustained a 15 year division, but she’s suddenly realised life’s to short, so after decades of trying to bridge the divide I will be doing so this evening 😊 as she is finally happy to do so 😊😊😊
    So of to have a shower and a omelette 💃💃💃

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy friday, everyone!
    Abisaysyes, were you considering the potassium when you chose the high carb banana before
    your run? If so, you could substitute a portion of an avocado, and the carbs are negligeable because
    they are very high in fiber. 1/4 of a large avocado is 68.75 calories, a good source of healthy
    plant based fat, and carbs are less than 1g! I don’t know if you are counting carbs, but if you going
    the stricter <20g a day route, bananas are hazardous . 🙂 Sad, isn’t it? the only fruit that really works
    with the Fast800/<20g of carbs is a small handful of berries. Best of luck to you!

Allie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Wow green Janet hope everything goes well with your sister tonight xx

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi Allicat, thanks for the idea about the avo… I probably was thinking about giving myself a few carbs to make me quicker on my run but I need to get used to running without carbs! Will try avocado tomorrow and let you know how it goes! Janet, hope it’s going well with your sister, amazing story that she wants to meet up again. Bless you XX

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Greenjanet
    I do hope that everything goes well tonight with your sister.

Allie – I hadn’t realised that avocados are high in potassium. Another very good reason to eat them.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks so much Marie123 and Mrs Thompson! xxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

What a wonderful chance to reconnect, green Janet!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Yesterday was the best days blood sugars I have ever had. No higher than 5.5 after meals – so really feel optimistic that the BSD, 20g carbs, intermittent fasting and lots of water will keep me off the insulin forever. Am still losing very slowly and was 9st 3 3/4lbs this morning – the lowest I have been since hitting maintenance.

I have been wondering if I was a TOFI who then got fat on the outside also. So losing the 3 stones wasn’t enough because although I became thin on the outside I was still fat on the inside. So losing a bit more weight is maybe getting rid of some liver fat. I suppose I will never know. Just really pleased with how it is going now.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Greenjanet
    Nice to see you – did your move go well?
    Have also been non-BSD for a bit and back after a couple of years; 4kg lost so far since starting again about three weeks ago.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Happy Saturday everyone!
    Hope all went well with your sister last night. I’m an only one so have no idea of what it’s like. I wish I did though.
    Well done KrysiaD! Fantastic news. Good girl.

Have a good weekend all. Enjoy this lovely weather while it lasts (UK). As my mum always says now the longest day has passed, ” the nights will soon be drawing in. Soon be Christmas ” !! 🌞😄

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Tillybud my mum says the same…drives me mad!
    Hope everyone has a great Saturday…we have friends coming over for lunch today but I’m cooking so I can make sure I’ve got options. I’m doing potatoes and rice as side dishes so they can help themselves to them and I’ll stick to chicken and salad…that’s the plan! For dessert I bought tiramisu because that’s the one dessert I cannot stand…I really dislike tiramisu, so should have no problem resisting that. I’ve got some nice fruit as well, so am feeling confident that I’ll get through lunch BSD friendly. Being able to be in control of the menu and plan everything out has made it easier.

• posted by caronl
    on

I’m not in this challenge. But just popping in to say many congratulations to KrysiaD. You must be so pleased. Greenjanet I hope that the reunion went smoothly. KOKO one and all!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mrs T, how clever you are! I never would have thought to bring in something for dessert that I hate 🙂
    Krysia, I’m so happy for you! You are really in “the zone”.
    Feeling a bit glum today…I haven’t been weighing myself consistently in recent weeks. Nasty shock
    this morning! Up by 4 lbs…Time to hit a strict 800/<20g again, and really think about what brought
    me to this place…I really thought I HAD this!
    Pop in more often, Caron!
    Enjoy your sunny weekend, everyone 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie. You will have it sorted really quickly – so no need to feel glum. I prescribe a visit to our positive thoughts forum….. See you there!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, Caron..WILL DO! Marvelous prescription 🙂 JGwen and MaggieBath have kept me busy
    this week, studying the great links that they have been posting on the “Take a Look at This” thread,
    and I’ve been absent from my home thread! I’ll trot on over after I brew a pot of coffee 🙂

• posted by greenjanet
    on

🙋 fellow zoomers,
    You are all doing so well it’s a delight to be on this team 😊
    Thank you for the well wishes re my reunion which went well, mind you big shock as this sister is 27 st
    She’s so breathless and disabled merely because she’s overweight so sad to see.
    Anyway to get over the shock of meeting up with them both I binged 😳👽👽 wait for it with ‘a half punnet of strawberries’ another amazing alien moment from planet holly farm hehe ooh I so love this plan.
    May the force be with me 👽 ooh I’m feeling positively bonkers this morning 🤪🤪🤪
    Happy BSD day🙋🙋🙋

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi all
    I have been away for a while both physically and mentally, it’s given me a much needed period of reflection. I have had a lovely holiday eaten very good food not been carb free, drank quite a bit of booze but a lot of exercise so feeling really good.
    So joining this party late but not going to say a lot but just get on with it. It’s not what I say from now on it’s what I do. For the first time in ages I looked properly at myself in the mirror. It’s me that got myself like this, so it’s only me that can reverse it. Looking forward to returning to good weather at home

Keep you all posted
    Madmare

• posted by JGwen
    on

Now, now Alliecat, surely all the planks will have increased your muscle tone, so any change in weight may not all be extra fat?

• posted by alliecat
    on

🙂 🙂 🙂 What a wonderfully positive thought, JGwen! I like it! However, I think I do see some “evidence”
    in that pesky area below the navel, which appears to be a bit “rounded” this morning. Sigh…
    Back to work, like the zealot I’m quite capable of being. I like the way you think, though! 🙂

Hi Madmare! It’s good to have you back with us. I haven’t been as diligent lately about weekend
    “wine creep” either, so I’m going over to the new thread that begins with the word “Wino..” in
    its title. There is an excellent post there submitted by californiagirl on June 4th that I’m going to
    reread. Have a look! 🙂

Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie
    You have got this. 4lbs – it’s a mere bagatelle!! You’ll soon see that on its way xx
    Btw, I agree about California girl’s post. Alcohol isn’t something I’ve ever had any difficulty with (chocolates, crisps, cheese etc are a different story) but that was a really impressive conversation, and californiagirl’s post was memorable.

Mrs Thompson – I’m with you on the tiramisu – ugh! But, what a great idea – if you have to provide a dessert, provide one you don’t like. Genius!

greenjanet – I love your post – I think I need a bit of what you’re having. xx
    It’s so good to hear the reunion with your sister went well. How sad to hear how she is physically right now – I really hope at some point she’ll find something like this way of eating to help her find her way back to good health.

Hi Madmare – nice to see you back – I’ve had a period of reflection, too, recently. It has helped me refocus on my goals, but you’re dead right, action is the thing. Glad to have you back.

Hope everyone else is going well this weekend. I’m trying to book a last minute holiday – so very excited. Woohoo!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

🙋 madmare
    Great stuff but don’t forget to be gentle with yourself, and dive in and it’s just one meal at a time.
    🙋 👽 jan

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’ve been mostly running in and out this morning, so just sheer luck that I’ve seen your post, Marie.
    Thank you for the confidence! A spontaneous holiday sounds like heaven 🙂 What new lands are
    you off to explore? We missed the opportunity to get out to the beaches of Cape Cod,( off the
    Massachusetts coast), earlier this month, and now that the schools are out for the summer, we don’t
    find it very desirable with all the kids screeching around the water’s edge 🙂 Day trips for the summer
    will just have to do! My husband isn’t teaching any courses this summer (much to his chagrin) but
    it takes dynamite and lots of cajoling to blast him out of his study. When he leaves this earth, it
    will undoubtedly be with a book in his lap and a highlighter in his hand 🙂 Let us know where you’re
    off to! xx
    JGwen, unfortunately I can’t see any of your FB links, or your poem either, because I still use
    an ancient fliptop phone (pathetic, I know), so no iphone/smartphone or social media…Merde!

• posted by marie123
    on

Allie – Not too sure about the holiday, atm. It was like herding fish here yesterday trying to get everyone agreeing dates, places etc. For various reasons we can’t go next week. Also, we have to be here for mid-July and like you want to avoid the school holidays (which start here around 3rd week in July) so we might also have missed the boat. Going to keep looking for the next couple of days. We’re all off to York for the day on Tuesday, so who knows that might be it until later in the year!
    Btw, the more I hear about your husband the more I like him xx

JGwen, I tried the link but it took me to the FB login page. I’m not on FB so I left it. But Dr Bikman is still on my read/watch list.

By the bye, I’m going to an event today where I’m hoping my MP (who I know slightly) will be. If my MP’s there I’m going to mention the meeting about diabetes in Westminster on Wednesday – see MM’s re-tweet of David Unwin’s tweet. David Unwin (low carb GP) & Roy Taylor (of Newcastle diet – and is also part employed by NHS) – are both going to be at this meeting. Things are moving forward slowly, step by step…. !

Well I’ve been up with the lark this morning so I’m about to go out for a lovely long walk up the coast while it’s quiet – getting my steps in – and maybe a delicious cup of coffee at the end.

Keep strong everyone – we’re all going to have great report-ins on Tuesday.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

A walk up the coast sounds lovely! I’m up with the larks today too, but sitting in my ambulance car. Not good for steps, a q2 hour shift, but I try to get them done by the end if play.
    Had a wardrobe moment this morning. My pants fit.
    They had been doing that thing where they were just slipping southwards due to having an equator rather than a waist.
    Im still that shape, but LESS so! Hurrah.
    Looking forward to finding if the scales agree on Tuesday.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Hello lovely people, I’ve been lurking for a couple of weeks so thought I ought to be polite and say hello 🙂 I started on 10 June, with about 30lb to lose, and am now R1W3D1.

I wanted to say a huge thank you to you all as I have found your posts incredibly helpful. After an amazing W1, I stalled all through W2, with no movement on the scales, which was frustrating, so I started reading though your posts. I found some inspirational posts on hope and plateau, and thank you to everyone who has posted their numbers. So, I kept going, upped my water, went longer between eating, and I ended the week with sudden, overnight, 2lb loss – much to my surprise.

W1 -7lb
    W2 -2lb

Aim for the next 2 weeks of this challenge: Lose another 4lb

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Feel tired,
    Head ache,
    Been sick on nothing but a cup of black tea.
    It’s been a long 12 hour shift., but I’m in bed now, am going to sleep like its going out of fashion, and hope tomorrow’s another good day.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

BlackSpot hope you’re feeling loads better after some decent rest.
    This is the start of week 3 for me today! I can’t believe I’ve managed to make it to this point, KOKO everyone xx

• posted by sydneysider
    on

Today is the start of week three for me, and I’m so excited to have lost 2.8kg (6lb) so far. I’m starting to really hit my groove with recipes and keeping carbs under 40g a day (thank you My Fitness Pal). Pulling back on the low calorie and green veggies has been hard – I was shocked at how quickly the carb numbers crept up .

I have a few go-to meals on rotation now: prawn and eggplant hot pot, hot smoked salmon frittata, spiced cauliflower soup with scallops, Mexican chicken salad, mezze plate with herbed cottage cheese. It’s such a nice way to eat, I don’t feel deprived. Ginger kombucha replaces my Friday glass of wine, and I made a bulletproof coffee (MCT oil + grass-fed butter + black coffee) for a Sunday morning treat.

@theblackspot I was really low energy last week, to the point where I struggled to run for the train, but I feel much better this week. I did a 10km hike yesterday with relative ease. I hope you feel better soon…magnesium and B-vitamin supplements for headaches and energy helped me through.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning zoomers!

Back from holidays yesterday and ready to start round 2 of fast800. To my delight I kept the weight loss of first round while away, that really gives me hope for future maintaining when I do hit my goal. I didn’t weigh or log anything, kept off the grains but ate more fruit and the occasional potato and dessert.

Tired and jet lagged, better get to the shops and stock up on BSD friendly food!

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Thanks for the support guys.
    My head hit the pillow at 8:20 last night and I didn’t wake till a cat got on me at 5am, ten minutes before the alarm.
    I’m still tired, but a world away from how I felt yesterday.
    Even feeling bad I didn’t have urges to cheat on this.
    Week 3 for me too, so hoping for good things in tomorrows weigh in.
    Beautiful sunshine in Leicestershire today, and I’m at work! Would love to be paddling my kayak down the local stream.

• posted by zinny
    on

Oh Mrs Thompson what a brilliant idea serving guest a pudding you don’t like. I am pinching that idea right away. This means on Friday night when girls come around it will be coffee and walnut cheese cake or tiramisu!
    I have decided to weigh on a Tuesday now to be the same day as all of us zoomers so I’m hoping to have stayed the same. Back now from being away , scales in their proper home in the bathroom!
    I’ve just completed week 5 now and my loss to date is 17 lb so I’m very pleased. They say that it takes 28 days for new ways to become a habit, and I feel as though I could do this diet- well new way of eating for quite a while.
    Black spot glad you feel more rested
    Green Janet we both feel alien like still !
    Beautiful weather here in west wales- hopefully I will get in the garden later today
    Here’s hoping for good results for us all

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello Zoomers!
    Sorry – been missing in action for best part of a week, mainly due to work and gardening or plant watering at night.
    It’s great to see how everyone is getting on. I’m actually quite relieved to be in the office with the aircon – it’s going to be a scorcher this week. I’ve dug out the fan and earplugs! Look forward to trading results tomorrow!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Zinny – are you far from Machynlleth? I have an uncle who lives there and thoroughly enjoy the train ride when I go to visit and Aberdyfi and the sand dunes! Went swimming in my clothes there once when I was young and carefree! I just couldn’t resist! I’d give anything for a trip to the beach right now just to sit and watch as well as a long walk!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Zinny, I was wondering roughly where you are as well, cos I am in south west wales.

• posted by zinny
    on

I am way down in the wilds of West Wales, Pembrokeshire to be precise probably about 100 miles from Aberdyfi. I can see the sea from here and its like looking at the med at the moment! I go walking early in the morning with the dog, I was a bit later this morning so I did not see the sun rise, but some mornings its so uplifting to see the sun coming up. Later in the year when its the harvest moon, well it comes over the hills and shines on the bay making it look like the whole sea is set in silver. I love living here!
    Yesterday I did the circular walk around Abermawr, I have seen that little bay many times waves a crashing , but yesterday there were at least 6 people swimming and it looked like a mill pond. Bit cold for me ( just back from the med) but how lovely to see folks enjoying our beautiful coastline. Im walking our fields a little later as I have some small calves coming this week and they are all escapologists, so I want to be sure there are no little gaps! I will be enjoying the sun then when I can escape from this office!
    Onwards and downwards folks!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Zinny – I’ve just googled it. It looks pretty spectacular! I’ve never been to that part of the world – I must add that to my bucket list! 🙂
    I’m in Worcestershire, so miles from any beach…!

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hey everyone! Onwards and downwards… I hope! I weighed in this morning as am
    Now on the Isle of Wight until Friday, walking and praying and thinking so will be healthy but maybe not quite on the 800 call!! But…. I started at 83.3 and now at 81.6! Not bad considering I slipped over the weekend. Really need to get back on low carb as I feel it the next day. But exercise helps. Just need to keep salts up when walking in this weather!! Well done everyone, am waiting for the return of the 👽 alien after the weekend rather got me back to my old ways…. but I can do it! I feel quite determined. Thanks to you all for keeping me going, see you Friday! Abi x

• posted by zinny
    on

Kazz Uk I worked on a farm in Worcestershire many years ago, it was near a villiage called Harvington, not far from Evesham. I went back a few years ago and it had changed quite a lot. I learnt all about dairy farming there and had some amazing times. Its a beautiful part of the world to be.
    Off to the fields!!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Zinny, So we are not far from each other, I am in the next county over, Carmarthenshire.

• posted by J101
    on

Hi everyone, I’d like to join this challenge if I may.
    I’ve been on the BSD (albeit at 1000 calories daily) since May 8 and have achieved a HbA1C of 5.3. Ive gone from 63 kilos to 58.5 or so. I’m thin outside and fat inside – my body fat is around 35% – and I’ve been told that I need to cut both carbs and fat to try and reduce fatty liver, which is at Grade 1. But I’m vegetarian and don’t know how to keep both carb and fat intake down as this means increasing protein. I’ve eaten a lot of tofu and eggs today. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks a ton.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Morning all, I am 2.4 lbs down this week.
    That’ll do.

• posted by zinny
    on

Well done black spot, that’s a great result .
    JGwen, yes not too far from me, I do get to Carmarthen once in a while.
    I’m down another pound today, I started this WOE on 21 st May 2018 and I’ve lost 18 pounds in total. I’ve upped my water consumption considerably since starting and it does make a difference. This is a great forum, friendly and welcoming, and loads of tips and advice. I really enjoy reading other people’s stories and their experiences. It’s true folks you are never too old to learn. I have been fighting the flab for years ( hands up who remembers the wonderful Terry Wogan) and I just wish I had clicked to this way of eating years ago!
    Down we go!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good work, Blackspot and Zinny. I’m down 1.5 lb.
    J101 – welcome to you! A great start. However, low carb and healthy fat, rather than low fat, is the key. I’m sure some of our far more knowledgeable members will be along to help. JGwen is a veggie and storming along on this road, having researched deeply into the science side of things. Have a look at the Take A Look At This thread and also Good Eats thread – both threads contain great information (if you’ve not already found them yourself).
    Good luck to all with your results today!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by marie123
    on

Nice losses Kazz, blackspot and Zinny – 18lbs total loss, I bet your delighted. I have great friends down in Pembrokeshire – not far from Tenby – I do envy you. Time for another road trip I think!

J101 – lovely to have you joining us. An Hba1c of 5.3 is a fantastic result. I’m thrilled for you. I’m not vegetarian but like Kazz says I’m sure others will be along to offer support.

abisaysyes – go well on the Isle of Wight, hopefully being conscious of portion sizes and walking a lot will help to keep things on track.

My goal for this challenge is to keep my steps (well walking) going. Given the good weather I’m doing well on this – approx. 73,000 from last Wednesday (forgot to push the button on my pedometer last Tuesday). I’m off to York today so should get quite a few more steps in.

Hope everyone goes well today.
    Marie

• posted by Vulcan463
    on

Hi everyone,

I stayed away mostly this last week because of the shizzle that I was going through, I didn’t want to just keep coming on here moaning.

Can’t say I’ve really been following the plan properly this week what with one thing and another – and no phys sessions either! So I was a bit trepidatious this morning BUT…

It was a loss! Ok a small one but it’s still in the right direction! That’s 8lbs in 2 weeks and I’m below the 16st/100kg Mark I wanted to be. Another tough week as I’m away in Portugal for the weekend with work :/ unfortunately beer is going to be the downfall!
    Well done everyone else and good luck this week!

Please log in or register to post a reply.