ZOOMERS! REACH FOR THE SKY, LOW CARBS IN JULY! – 4 WEEK CHALLENGE TO 10 JULY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thank you all for the amazing positivity! Yes, I’m singing the rhyme!!
    On Monday I’ll have been on this journey for 4 weeks, and in that time I’ve learnt a huge deal. I started with no self belief, no confidence, and just really low self esteem. I have taken it just one meal at a time. Not even one day, just one meal. To anyone who is new to this, or thinking about starting, that’s my advice…just take one meal at a time. It adds up. I often feel like maybe it’s not making a difference but it is.
    The other thing I’ve learned is there’s no such thing as perfection. Life happens, we slip up. Before I’ve just given up. But you have all taught me that picking yourself up and keeping going is the key, going back to that basic of taking it one meal at a time. To anybody just starting their journey…you will slip up at some point, keep going and know it’s ok.
    So that’s what I’m doing. I’m accepting that I’m human and flawed and I’m getting back on the BSD horse. I’m not giving up. It may take me a couple of weeks longer to reach my goal, and that’s ok. I’ll get there. I’m going back to that basic principle of one meal at a time. And before you know it, one day is done. And then the next day. And they slowly start adding up.
    Sending you all much love. This forum has truly made such a difference for me xx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Mrs T, bear in mind that ever gram of carb attracts 3-4 grams of water. So it’s easily remedied.
    Glad you’ve forgiven yourself xx
    Maggie

• posted by zinny
    on

I’m glad you like the rhymeMrs T ! Smoked haddock and cauli rice tonight with a big salad . Gorgeous evening here in Pembrokeshire so we are eating our dinner alfresco tonight .
    Enjoy the rest of the day!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

It is beautiful weather isn’t it? Make the most of it…you know what it’s like in the UK…it’ll be raining before you know it!

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Mrs T you remember weeks ago on this thread when I talked about giving up smoking? You’ve just done the whole hard thing. Instead of ‘I’m a fatty and out of control’ you’ve said ‘argh! I’ve been a daftie, but today I’m back on the good stuff!’
    That is growth and development. This is a way of life and a way of eating, that will look after you for years.
    In the future (11th July it’sy birthday…) I ‘may’ slip up. Liquid toast is another name for beer. And on my birthday am am going to have a few.
    In the future I will be eating 2000+ calories a day when my weight is in a good place.
    I may even have toast and jam on some Sunday’s. But they won’t be daily, or weekly normals.
    I’m struggling a bit at the moment, as in my head ‘you’re doing so well. Go on reward yourself with another portion of this good low carb tasty food!’
    The end results being a few days I’ve been over my 800kc up to 1200 or probably 1600.
    It’s all been meat, cheese and olive oil dressed salads, but…
    Watching the football on Tuesday I ”needed”to eat something due to the stress. (More emotional eating) managed to eat cheese instead of cooking up popcorn.
    It’s an ongoing battle with food for me, as getting big from enjoying food is only part of the problem. But as a person who feels valued by cooking good food for people, rather than knowing I’m valued regardless my eating & cooking has been linked to my insecurities.
    Which is also an ongoing journey! But that’s life for us all!
    I hope this stream of consciousness makes sense? Apologies if not. It’s been useful writing it.
    So Hurrah! I’m on a journey, but have new and good tools in this WOE, to not get sugared up.

Mrs T. I think it was Tate and Lyle who said
    ” you can have the first spoon for free, and when you want some more just come back to me…”
    Addictive white powder.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

BlackSpot that absolutely made sense to me, and the way you spoke about giving up smoking totally changed my view on how I approach my “failures” and slip ups. I know today has been a bad day, and I’ve been an idiot. I know it will happen in future. But as you say, this is a way of life and changing slowly what is the “normal”. Tomorrow is a new day…I can either dwell on my failures or take it a meal at a time and move forward. I choose moving forward. This is the difference between me now and me at the start of this journey…I’m a BSD all the way now…just sometimes I have an odd blip because that’s life and we’re human 👍🏻
    BlackSpot you always have a good dollop of common sense!

• posted by Amarela
    on

How’s everyone getting on?

Still plugging along here, not having the greatest of weeks in terms of motivation and mood but keep on keeping on, eh?

I’m officially off work for the rest of the month but decided to get going on a work project looming in the horizon so that I can have more time for all the back to school stuff that will need doing in August. Desire for snacking was huge as soon as I sat down on the computer!
    Must work on that.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hey Amerella!
    I’m OK, but also struggling to keep motivated. My results are good, but I keep eating over the 800kc… Mainly the right stuff, apart from the beer… Back to work tomorrow so things should be easier!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ah, beer….liquid bread, blackspot 🙂 Enough carbs to sink a ship!

• posted by Ellem
    on

My weigh day is a Sunday, and I’m delighted to report another 2lb loss. So 13lb in four weeks. Amazing!

• posted by theblackspot
    on

That’s the one alliecat… Wet toast…
    However, my lunches have been very refreshing and fairly low carb.
    I’m making a recipe off the BBC website easy gazpacho.
    Thinned out with some ice cubes and some finely chopped onion and small cubes of Curcumber it’s great in this UK heat!

• posted by caronl
    on

@theblackspot Thank you for the reminder about gazpacho. I love it, but it had somehow fallen off the radar. I know what I am having for lunch!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Zoomers! How’s everyone fairing on this sweltering Sunday?
    It’s time to come up with a name for the next four week challenge ending 7 August. All suggestions welcome.
    Here’s mine – ZOOM INTO AUGUST WITH A FOCUSSED THRUST!
    Am happy to set the next thread up unless anyone else wants to?
    Ok, am off to melt in the garden! Enjoy your Sunday, friends.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kazz, the word “August” is a tough one for rhyme! Everything I come up with is imperfect…The best I have
    to offer you is “Zoom Into August….4 Weeks to Bloom!” 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

How about Zoom into August, our weightloss to augment.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

How about something like “into august we zoom with weight loss that booms!” Or “august zoomers, lets slim and get nice and trim!” It’s really hard rhyming august!

• posted by zinny
    on

Or zoom into August, let’s make it boom or bust!

• posted by zinny
    on

Or zoom into August and lose weight we all must!

• posted by zinny
    on

Or zoom into August we sure have got this sussed!
    That’s it for now folks

• posted by Anonymous
    on

If we can just get the correct title for the new forum we’ll all be guaranteed to lose 2 stones at least 🤣🤣

• posted by alliecat
    on

Twenty eight pounds in 4 weeks, Mrs T? I like your optimism 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Anonymous
    on

We are zoomers after all 🤣🤣

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes, cutie, we are!!!

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Zoomers! To August & beyond! ( sod the poetry, it doesnt have to rhyme anyway!)

• posted by zinny
    on

Ah black spot I’m thinking of Madness and also the wonderful Startrek. Can’t get that madness tune out of my head now!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning! Plenty of suggestions so which shall we go for?
    Kazzeexx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Love the new names for the next challenge – it will be hard to choose between them.

Have had a week working on the computer. I won’t go into it because it is so tedious – but am all caught up after the computer breakdown and have got to grips with the newest version of word and working with one drive.

Will definitely be posting a loss this week – even though I have been so inactive.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Ok – I jotted the 9 suggestions down and stuck them in a bag and got one of my colleagues to pick one out… And the winner is… drum roll….. Blackspot’s “Zoomers – to August and beyond!” 🙂
    I’ll set the next challenge thread up now… 🙂 Thanks all – such great collaborators aren’t we? 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hurrah! I won something!
    I’d like to thank my mother, my primary school class, the postman. That higher I see sometimes on the way to work…

On a serious note, has anyone done this 800kc for longer than 8 weeks? Or had a brief break and repeated it? I’m coming up to half way through and looking in the mirror still have such a way to go I was thinking of carrying on for a while.
    Any thoughts?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, blackspot! This is a question that is right up my alley! (no pun intended 🙂 ) I continued on with 800cal for
    10 months, losing 140 lbs in the process. I also reversed a number of health markers , i.e.,
    high blood pressure and high chloresterol. I’ve never felt healthier, but the big prize is that I’ve kept the weight
    off for 15 months. If you are feeling well, you can take this anywhere you want to go. It is my solid belief that
    this WOL is nothing short of a miracle…Best to you,

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi theblackspot.
    I started in mid October 2017. I am down 88lbs so far, for the last couple of months my weight has fluctuated within a couple of kg but I continue to change shape. I think that those of us with more to loose have an advantage, by doing multiple cycles we have more time to get our carb monster back in its cage, and get this WoE entrenched in our lives.

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi blackspot well done on winning the prize,! I’m on my first time round started 21 st May and I will be going round again. Thanks to Maggie bath and JGwen I’m having a go at 16 8 as well. The comments by J Gwen in the above post are so right. I don’t have the desire for the carbs that I used to have and the weight is coming off quietly. When I look at getting the right Bmi for me , well I have a long way to go too, but at the age I am I’ll be happy to get down into the next stone and stay there. I lost a lot of weight previously but it started to creep back, so that’s why I started this. To be honest if I had started doing this when I decided 3 years ago I could not go on at almost 18 stone and being only 5 ft 4 I feel I would have got to my goal and stayed there. This WOE is just right for me, yes to protein and fats no to carbs . It’s great and so is this forum. Another 2 lb off today too. Keep going keep cooking and sharing you are on your weigh ( get it)

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Theblackspot – great that you are looking at carrying on for more than the 8 weeks. I also agree with previous comments that having more weight to lose is an advantage because the longer you are on this the easier it gets and it’s much less likely you will let the carb monster out of it’s cage.

Am reporting a loss of half a pound – so now am 9st 1and a half pounds! ! This is now lower than when I got married in 1969. My wedding ring has slipped off my finger twice this week – so not sure what to do to stop it falling off.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Krysia. Stop by a jewelry store and pick up a “ring guard”. Problem solved 🙂

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Well done everyone! Have you still got your wedding dress Krysia 😉 – that would be something, to fit into your wedding dress!
    No losses for me; this week’s been fairly hectic socially so I gave myself a free pass 😁
    Really pleased that I could eat and drink what I wanted without mega damage. Happy that a burger in a brioche bun tasted OK, but the bun was totally tasteless so didn’t eat it.
    Time to put the cider and wine behind me and get on with the final sprint to the end; or crawl, it’s going to be interesting.
    Maggie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you Allie – I hadn’t realised that it was so easy and inexpensive to sort out. I thought it would be a very expensive trip to the jewellers to get it sorted.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Morning everyone, and thank you for the advice and experience shared above.
    I’ve had a few slips and trips this week. Liquid toast, followed by a thoughtless kebab, not logging the food in my fitness pal, not getting my steps in. Just a bit too relaxed…
    End result is no loss this week, but no gain!
    So I am 198lbs. 4 weeks ago I was 211, 4 weeks and one day ago I was 215lbs. So I’m happily telling people that I lost a stone in 3 weeks.
    I will be carrying on, zooming into August and beyond! For I don’t know how long.
    Thanks everybody for all the help.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Wow Krysia, that’s an achievement!

Theblackspot, I’m now starting week 3 of round 2. I did have a 2 week break inbetween but that was due to a holiday, looking back I should’ve just continued back to back as I’ve been having a hard time getting my mojo back ever since.

I’ll report a loss of 1 pound this week, actually had a better number on the scales Saturday but my gorgeous husband surprised me with a lovely little trip, just the two of us. So a lunch, big dinner, few glasses of wine and a hotel breakfast was had… was worth it though!

See you all in the next challenge zoomers!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maggie – you know l am not sure if I have still got it. Will have to do an attic search when it cools down here. I have a feeling that I was 9st 7lbs on my wedding day so I should fit into it with room to spare. Will be really interesting to try it on.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Your trip sounds lovely Amarela and what a thoughtful husband ! I agree with your approach, enjoy the moment and don’t let dieting thoughts spoil it. This way of eating puts us in control and treats and days off can be managed.
    Maggie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Forgot to report my 4 week loss. With this weeks half pound I have lost 3 lb over the 4 weeks – and most of it is from around my tummy and middle. Blood sugars really good.

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Once again I’ve no idea if I’m posting in the right place so apologies in advance if I’ve got it wrong. I can never tell when a challenge is starting but this time I think I’m just a day or two late in joining in and this challenge is for four weeks.
    So I’ve just started Week Five, so far I’ve lost 17lbs which is great and I’ve done this largely by sticking to the BSD diet book but avoiding the heavier carb loads. For the next four weeks I’m seriously aiming and planning to stick to around 20g carbs a day. It’s not easy, requires a lot of planning (which I really hate) but hopefully it will pay dividends as I would really like to lose another 14lbs in the next four weeks/month – any advice/help is most welcome.
    I’m drinking between 2-3litres of water a day, more days around the 2l mark though. I’ve upped my complete couch potato status and I’m doing 3-4 exercise classes a week – hoping this will help too.
    One thing I am noticing is that my skin is pretty dry – has anyone else experienced this?
    Tonight my main meal will be salmon steak and avocado salsa. Lunch was scrambled eggs and a slice of ham.
    Well good luck for the next four weeks everyone. Please do share your meal options, it helps us newbies!

• posted by alliecat
    on

You are posting some marvelous results, toddy67. Congratulations on your first 4 week
    successes, and the commitment to exercise too! 🙂 This challenge ended on tuesday, so
    hop on over to the one that has Zoomers in the title, plus To August and Beyond.
    It began on the 12th, so no harm done! I find that my dry skin actually improved with the water,
    and healthy fats from nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado and wild salmon. It used to feel like
    sandpaper, before! Keep up the great work. Join us, won’t you, on the current challenge?

Best,

Allie

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Many thanks I’ll repost in the other forum

Please log in or register to post a reply.