ZOOMERS! REACH FOR THE SKY, LOW CARBS IN JULY! – 4 WEEK CHALLENGE TO 10 JULY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Well done KrysiaD on your achievements!
    I’m still a couple of stone above my BMI healthy weight and the middle of it looks miles away!
    One day at a time and not to get too stressy about the whole thing. I enjoy this food, love knowing I’m doing the right thing, and this community is brilliant. I’ve not really been part of such a long ongoing conversation online before, but it’s working for me. You give help, you get help and just reading other people’s posts let’s you know ‘I’m not odd or Wierd’lots of folk have got into this state, but are solving it!
    Thanks everyone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Theblackspot – I definitely could not have done it without this forum. It has kept me on the BSD since April 2016 and I do absolutely agree that this community is brilliant.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

This forum really helps with keeping on the straight and narrow. I have just found my husband’s secret stash of chocolate hidden in the drawer (he knows if he leaves it in the kitchen I’ll eat it) but I shall not eat it, I shall focus on my goals and not will not eat it. I shall tidy the house up and have a long bath… and maybe a cuppa 👍🏻

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hey folks
    I’m watching a really interesting food documentary on low carb, high fat eating.
    “The magic pill”
    Very interesting, results from autism being reduced to weight loss. Asthma & diabetes.
    It’s on Netflix.(UK)

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Australia tried to get it banned.
    It’s scandalous that Andrew Wakefield was silenced by the medical world. 1 in 59 children have autism in the US and the medical establishment allowed it to happen.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Morning campers
    Happy Saturday!
    Another person, the South African medical world tried to silence and ridicule, was Tim Noakes. If interested you can read up on the whole story and latest news here. http://foodmed.net/the-noakes-trial/
    Enjoy your day 😁
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Ellem
    on

Thank you for that link, Kazz. It made fascinating, and horrifying reading. Thank goodness sense prevailed, though it’s a pity they didnt recover his costs.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

There was a note in thematic pill about Tom noakes vs the south African medical establishment. Yes he won, but they now want a retrial &/or appeal. They still haven’t given up on getting him as the news that carbs are bad for you is still very very controversial and goes against such powerful vested interests.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

The Appeal was dismissed earlier this month,, thankfully, Blackspot. 😁👍

• posted by theblackspot
    on

That’s great news KazzUk. Thanks.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Back to Australia there’s a series of lectures by Barbara O’Neill https://www.barbhealth.com a naturopath and nutrionist who makes perfect sense of what was touched on in the Magic Pill. I never imagined I’d be embracing alternative medicine but the frontline treatment of chronic diseases is just management, not cures, so we have to find our own way if we want to live our lives well.
    Maggie

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Made a silly mistake.
    Went out shopping with the Mrs,
    Got too hungry.
    Came back and cooked some really tasty and healthy food… Stir-fry green beans and kale & mushrooms, topped with sliced mozeralla ball each, 2 poached eggs each and an avocado, each…
    So there’s my 800kc for the day!
    This water looks good though…😕

• posted by Amarela
    on

Hah blackspot, been there done that!
    Made a sort of cauliflower pizza concoction for lunch couple of days ago, sooooo yummy but didn’t log in the recipe until after eating it… well it was worth it 😄 I do intermittent fasting anyway so…

I’ve just noticed in the last few days that my tummy has gone really squidgy, I wonder if that means that some tummy fat is on the way out??

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Like soft marbles? Weird isn’t it? Mine went like that about 10 days ago and today I got into a smaller pair of jeans that were impossible last week. So, it’s a big yes!
    Maggie

• posted by Amarela
    on

Yeah Maggie, that’s it, freaky! Here’s to hoping for smaller jeans!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Amarela,
    My skin gets a look like lots of invisible thumbs are pressing in, and then the size change happens.

• posted by zinny
    on

Just checked my skin and no sign of soft marbles or invisible thumb prints, maybe next week.!
    Cooked a bbq last night, I ate the chicken and a burger, no bread roll. I did treat myself to strawberries and some delicious prosecco ice cream that’s had been contributed by a friend, but did not go barmy on it. Did not bother with wine too hot.
    Meals planned for next week, feeling very pleased with myself.
    Today we are going to do a circular walk which will take us down to the sea and back to the car. It’s shady most of the way so my dog will enjoy the walk as it’s a bit too warm for him during the day with the weather we are having. I think I might put my bathers on and have a quick dip in the sea. Not a pretty sight, but better than I used to be.
    Keep up the good work folks

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Despite lunch yesterday at 2pm taking ALL my calories, I was able to hold out through till lunch time today for a steak salad. A 22hr fast!
    Hope it shows on Tuesday!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Theblackspot – well done for holding out until lunch time today. I am sure it will show on Tuesday.

This is a long post (and a duplicate of the a post on the one week challenge) but I just had to post it because I am so excited about what is happening. I think excited isn’t a strong enough word for what I am feeling.

As you know I am in remission but have to keep to a max of 20g carbs to stay off the insulin because I believe that I still have severe insulin resistance. I have been trying intermittent fasting to improve this – plus I am wondering whether I am a TOFI who got fat on the outside as well as on the inside – so that a normal BMI isn’t going to get completely rid of the fatty liver (which I was diagnosed with 18 years ago). As we can’t get our insulin checked, nor is my doctor likely to send me for a scan, the only way I might be able to check whether this is happening is to check after meal blood sugars which just might possibly give me a clue to what is happening. I do know that this is probably a rubbish way of checking but it is the only thing I could think of.

I didn’t start checking after meal blood sugars very regularly until I started Intermittent fasting – becase when I was on insulin I got in the habit of checking before meals. I was horrified to find that although I only went up to 6.8/7.2 two hrs after a meal it stayed at that level for hours and only dropped into the 5s just before a meal – which could be 5 hours later.

I started intermittent fasting on 10th May and blood sugars stayed stubbornly high hours after meals. I was beginning to wonder if this would work. Weight though was steadily dropping – moving more towards the lower end of normal BMI. Suddenly this week my belt needed to shortened by another inch and my waist is now 25 inches and after meal blood sugars are in the 5s. If they are in the low 6s after 2 hours – they are in the 5s by 2 1/2 hours after a meal. How amazing.

So something is happening – is it improved insulin resistance or the last of the fat draining from my liver and pancreas – who knows. It is so exciting though. The weight is definitely going mostly from around my tummy and middle. I do know that I had to lose 3 stone to come off insulin whereas other people only need to lose a percentage of their weight to take diabetes in remission. BMI now 20.6 – so there is still scope to go lower.

I am beginning to hope now that instead of being in remission because I am limiting carbs so strictly I am now moving to reversal of the diabetes. I am so happy with what is going on and not at all worried by my next Hb1ac. Maybe, just maybe, one day I will be able to eat 30g of good carbs or even 40g carbs. If not I will be happy that I can keep my feet and eyesight – and this level of blood sugars must help to keep me healthy.

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi guys, I’ve been away last week (Isle of Wight walking, it was fabulous!) and totally lost control of the BSD… yesterday I was pretty good but was back on the carbs this afternoon, even though I started the day with good intentions. Arrrrrghhhh!!! I feel really discouraged and disappointed in myself but thought I’d come here for a bit of support. I also noticed this particular challenge is until 10th July, so I’m going to try and make some progress by the 10th. I WILL SUCCEED!!!! But any encouragement appreciated. It’s actually just so encouraging seeing you all here, doing well, sturggling but making it work nonetheless. It can be done!!! Thanks all for keeping on posting. Love to you all. Abi xx PS Krysia will try Intermittent Fasting as well I think, but probably need 2 weeks of just 800cal under my belt first. I certainly like the sound of it though! x

• posted by theblackspot
    on

KrisiaD thank you for your indepth insite on how this has been affecting you. The middle of the BMI seems so far away, and people at work tell me I’m not fat or even overweight! I think this is because we’ve all gotten used to seeing people who are larger, and larger as normal. So some ‘skinny’ friends I have are probably only in the middle of their BMI, but because my eyes are ‘out’i don’t see that. I hope they RE-set to a new normal when I get slimmer.
    Abisaysyes, intermittent fasting can be really simple. Like waiting till midday before you eat brunch, then having dinner before 8 pm (or earlier) and not eating again till the next days lunch. Two larger satisfying meals, but lots of down time when the fasting magic happens.
    I’m doing something like that, though my window is getting longer when I’m at work as they give me a lunch break at 11:30 and I’m often not home for dinner till 8pm…

• posted by zinny
    on

Well done to everybody, especially Mrs T for not eating that chocolate. Just back from walking the dog and happy to report a 2 lb loss this week. I started this woe on 21 st May 2018 and I feel so much better for ditching the carbs and 19 lb down too. I’m wondering how I will get on in maintainence , I’m reading about that in other threads.
    My advice to anyone starting off would be plan your food and weigh it. I’m still weighing my food as my guesstimates are still wildly inaccurate ! Maybe intermittent fasting will work for me.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Woohoo! I’m below my initial 4 week goal with still a week to go! I’ve lost 4.5lbs this week to take me to 198.
    18 to go until I can claim to be a healthy weight.
    Then 20 more to be in the middle, and see how things are then.
    But I’m well chuffed!
    This WOE really does do the business!
    Good luck everyone for this next week!
    And Well done Zinny!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

A fantastic start, Zinny and Blackspot to week 3 weigh in! 🙂 – one more week to go to the end of this 4 week challenge.
    I stayed the same. But that just makes me more determined! Good luck to everyone weighing in today.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Ellem
    on

Excellent results blackspot and zinny 👏🏽

My weigh day is Sunday, it was week 3 and I lost 1.5lbs, so pretty happy with that. 11lbs in 3 weeks.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi KazzUK, I am the same again this week, no scale change. But a NSV on how much easier daily chores are. – Feeding the chickens and ducks takes half the time it used do. – Maybe I should spend the extra time feeding linseed to the bats that live in the attic of my house.

• posted by Ellem
    on

JGwen, haha, yes do that, give them nice shiny coats 🤣

• posted by Amarela
    on

Well done with the losses and NSVs!

I’m down 2lbs this week which is ok… was hoping for a leeeetle bit more, never happy me!
    Haven’t fully gotten back to the groove of things since holidays, so that’s the challenge for this week.

• posted by Momof2
    on

GM everyone. Well done for the losses and NSV’s. No loss to report for me I’m afraid.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

JGwen – I hadn’t realised how common it is to have bats in your attic and be totally unaware of them! Same for me NSV – spending 4 hours doing garden stuff would have been unheard of for me a year ago!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Very funny, you guys! 🙂 Are you suggesting I have bats in the attic of my mind? You’re all very “cheeky”, I
    must admit…or perhaps just bat s**t crazy? I’m delighted to see that my foolishness has transmigrated
    across several threads, thanks to my good friend, JGwen! I DO like to begin the day with laughter, though,
    even if it’s at my own expense 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Zinny, Blackspot and Amerela – really great losses. Staying the same weight is a win also and so are the NSVs reported.
    Have lost a pound and a quarter this week – taking me to 9st 2lbs. So am happy with that because it is all definitely coming off my middle.

Blackspot – you are so right when you say ‘we’ve all gotten used to seeing people who are larger, and larger as normal. So some ‘skinny’ friends I have are probably only in the middle of their BMI, but because my eyes are ‘out’i don’t see that. I hope they RE-set to a new normal when I get slimmer’. When I first got to 9st 6lb I felt I looked horrible and too skinny. I increased my weight to 9st 13lbs and felt I looked more normal – but that led to rising blood sugars and another 5lb gain. This time – at 9st 2lb I still look too thin – even though I am only just under the middle of my normal BMI. Hopefully I will be able to’= re-set my eyes and be able to see myself as slim and not horribly skinny. Husband assures me that I don’t look too skinny.

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi guys, well done everyone for continuing with this woe, life continues to be eventful & I am slowly trying to get my head back in the right space. I have been much better this week although stress levels continue to be high my youngest has broken his arm & looks like 3rd summer holidays ruined by major surgery & spain in plaster! Older boy has been bitten by a tick which he didn’t realise so is on antibiotics as has had a reaction!! We started a 2nd business this week & it has been hectic.
    On a positive note I am down this week, confusing as been up & down but now just 2lbs off my very lowest & 4lbs off where I wanted to be!!
    Holiday this Sunday, will try to be sensible and hopefully come back ready for the final push 33lbs to go want to only be overweight on my holiday!! Target 2lbs this week. Thanks again for everyones support it truly has kept me going & helped me to keep returning Xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning Gang and happy Independence Day to our friends across the pond!
    I’m going to give a good push between now and the end of this challenge next Tuesday. Have a great day, all.
    Kxx

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi all, sorry for the lack of communication, have had a super busy few days. Some fantastic results on here though…well done guys! So encouraging to read your posts and see your progress… KOKO!
    I weighed myself this morning and am
    4 1/2 pounds away from my goal weight. I can’t believe that I’ve:
    1. Been able to lose weight! After so many failed diets in the past, seeing the weight come off is amazing. I’ve dropped a dress size in 3 1/2 weeks!
    2. Until I go in for my blood tests I don’t know how this has affected my blood sugars, but I’m pretty sure there must be an improvement
    3. Stuck with this WOE. There have definitely been blips on the way, but I haven’t given in, I’ve picked myself up and kept going, and that is completely thanks to you guys and your support… for that I’m eternally grateful.

Let’s Keep Going! Xx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Mrs T and so well done! You’ve been quite the butterfly, dipping into the low carb Koolaid and flitting off transformed!
    Now we know the science we can be in control of our bodies instead of the misery of being sabotaged by carbs.
    Have a gold ⭐
    Maggie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

thanks for my gold star ⭐️ I shall stick it on my reward chart 😂😂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mrs T, that is fantastic news! It’s a steep learning curve, unlearning all the stuff we’ve had drummed into us over the years regarding low fat and on top of that, the addiction to overcome. Look what you have achieved in a fairly short space of time! 🙂 I hope you and your family are very proud. I am very pleased for you! 🙂

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi all
    Sorry didn’t post yesterday been very busy here
    Managed to lose another 2lbs so now 11st 8.5lbs.
    Had a really strange time last week, the weight loss was going along nicely until Friday when I started gaining weight! By Sunday morning I was distraught I was practically back to where I started. I couldn’t understand it I had a couple of glasses of wine and a tiny quiche on Saturday at a lovely wedding but nothing to account for this!
    Then the penny dropped, to be more delicate than I normally am the elimination processes were not working as they should!
    By Monday evening back on track thank goodness!!
    MM

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’ve had the same experience, Madmare. Quite disconcerting when it happens! The best way around it is
    to only weigh-in on days without “transit issues”, I find 🙂 KOKO..you’re doing well! Loads of spinach and chia
    seeds seem to help…lots of fiber 🙂

• posted by K8ty
    on

Hi all please excuse the jumping in but am hoping to get some advice. I am on day 11 and am still experiencing moments of lightheadedness or a spacey feeling. Any advice on how to get past that. I have been drinking loads and making sure my fats and salt intake is ok but I am keeping it under 20grams of carbs because of having PCOS and that’s what is needed to loose the weight.
    Will this pass, or there anything I can do to help it ? I am loving the results and need this to be how I eat for possibly the next 6 months. I am not diabetic or have any blood pressure problems

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hi K8ty,
    I was grand in the first week, but had more headaches and light headed episodes in the second. They all cleared up though by the end of that week though.
    I reintroduced some caffeine and made sue my salad eating was as colourful and tasty with as wide a range of herbs & vegies as I can get in them.
    And really hammer the water.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi K8ty- it’s all withdrawal symptoms. Your addiction to sugar and refined carbs has been long standing so your body’s going to be finding it hard still. But – you’ll be through it very soon and then you’ll feel like a different person.
    Just stick with it, the symptoms you describe show you’re on course. Not far to go to the easier bit where you’ll be convinced that this is a way of eating you can live with for the rest of your life.
    Maggie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

I’m going to have to hand back my gold star 😞
    Yesterday as a reward for doing so well and being within sight of my goal weight, I had some of my daughter’s left over birthday cake…and that was it. The sugar hit me and I couldn’t stop. I ate all the sugar, biscuits, chocolate, bread I could get my hands on. I weighted myself just now and I’m 5 pounds heavier than I was yesterday 😩😩
    I can’t believe I did this to myself. I have just sabotaged all my efforts and hard work. Just when I think I’m doing well I mess up. I’m such a failure. How could I set myself back like this? What is wrong with me? Why is it impossible to just have a taste of something sweet, why does that always lead to a ridiculous sugar binge?
    So from lunchtime today I’m starting back on my usual diet, but now I’ve just increased the mountain I have to climb so I’m feeling very disappointed in myself and not great. I wish I could go back on time and undo my actions, but I can’t do I just have to go forward from here. I really do have a sugar addiction…it’s very hard to break. When I get a craving I forget to think rationally and it’s just this uncontrollable feeling…I forget to think about why not to do it. I’ve got to just start again…and accept that I’m a lot further from my goal than I was yesterday 😩

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mrs Thompson – you have absolutely not sabotaged all your efforts and hard work and you are definitely not a failure. I would think that there is not one member on this forum who has not done something very similar.

The weight gain will be water retention from the carbs and as you have got ‘straight back on the wagon’ it will disappear very quickly. You have not increased the mountain you have to climb as it is absolutely impossible to put on 5lbs in fat in just one evening.

It is well known that sugar and starchy carbs trigger this reaction – but as you have found the cravings disappear when you go straight back onto the BSD. You have awakened the carb monster briefly – and that is all you have done. A couple of days and he will be banished back out of your life again.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thanks krysia…it may take longer to reach my goals but I will get there, I’m determined not to go back. I know this WOE works, I’m forgiving myself for my mistakes and am going to keep on…losing weight for me has always been a mental and emotional battle…I’m very much an emotional eater…and it takes time and a few errors to change a whole lifetime of eating habits.
    I will do as you say, put down the chocolate cake, and get back on the wagon and hopefully by Monday I’ll be in a much better place in my head.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thank you all, it’s so great having people who have been there on this journey and understand it…I hope that when I get more experienced and stable in this WOE I’ll be able to help others out with the same kindness you’ve shown me xx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Mrs T, all your posts are helping other people! It’s the ups and downs that makes the journey and we all experience them. Owning up to your challenges helps other people who might think their problems are insurmountable realise they can do this.
    Maggie

• posted by zinny
    on

Mrs T I’ve been there many times! As long as you can pick yourself up and try again you are not a failure. It’s early days for me started 21 st May and I think you are a bit later than me. It’s ok to go astray as long as you can get back into the BSD way .gosh there’s a rhyme, so sing it!
    Now the party food should be gone, so buckle up and get going.
    Yesterday I baked with my granddaughter. Normally there is never enough cake mixture for the cupcakes as I’m busy spooning away into my mouth. Yesterday I’m proud to report I did not bother, I did not want to, the desire was gone. Now if I ( a hardened raw cake mix eater) can do that, well it just shows that low carbs fats and protein eaten well can reform a persons sweet desire. I’m sure you feel bad, don’t, just start again knowing we are all behind you.
    Go girl!

Please log in or register to post a reply.