ZOOMERS! REACH FOR THE SKY, LOW CARBS IN JULY! – 4 WEEK CHALLENGE TO 10 JULY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Well weighed in pleasantly surprised as I’ve lost 5 lbs without realising due to all the hard work I’m doing lol anyone want to join the Norfolk renovation boot camp feel free, it’s amazing what a wheelbarrow can do 😁😁😁
    Anyway have 89.5lbs still to loose it was 112.5 so getting there.
    So for this thread I am aiming to be 15 st something so need to loose 17 lbs may be a tall order but I’m on it and want it gone this year. So of to do a fab healthy shop presently, and get MFP up to date.
    Ooh it’s such a relief to be back, why did I stray I know I love it 💃💃💃

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hiya Zoomers
    Saturday, the end of my week off which has been very relaxing with gardening and seeing friends.
    Good to see so many enthusiastic posts and some great results already!
    Blackspot, I always have a few almonds in my bag when out and about to keep me going plus a couple of hard boiled eggs or babybel cheese.
    Mrs Thompson, and anyone else celebrating Father’s Day tomorrow, have a great day!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi green Janet if I lived closer I would be there like a shot . Nothing like a bit of manual labour to get the pounds off !

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi greenjanet, that’s great about the 5lbs! A pleasant surprise 👍🏻
    I’ve spent the afternoon baking two almond, banana and fruit cakes for my husband and dad and so the house smells amazing and fruity and cakey…I’m so glad I joined this forum because if I hadn’t I would have dived in and undone my good work, but I’m determined not to, I feel like I’ve come so far (although it’s only day 6) for me I’m doing better than I ever expected. So I need to stick with it and not crack, because if I crack I’ll binge on all things carbs…not going there again. This isn’t always easy, but I got to enjoy the most lovely cheese this afternoon which is one of my food joys, so I shall focus on that as well as the most lovely fish for lunch. Just wish the house would stop smelling of banana cake 😫

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Mrs Thompson, I feel your cake pain.
    TOH was baked up a storm for mums birthday & fathers day, but one of the cakes kept going wrong or not being good enough…
    So multiple bakes, multiple bowels of cake mix, unwanted cakes just hanging around!!! 😮
    In the end I was strong. The chooks got very lucky, and I’m hoping for some brilliant eggs.
    But the lingering cake smell…

• posted by theblackspot
    on

I’m other news, at the party my plan mainly worked. Ate salad & pulled pork. Drank mainly soda water & a few wine spiritzers had a tiny sliver of cake but compared to a normal party I was the prince of self control!
    Back to work tomorrow, salad box packed & ready to go.
    Good luck tomorrow everyone.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Hello everyone,
    I haven’t been on here for a while but need to be.I’ve been maintaining instead of losing these last few weeks and need to be motivated again.I’m glad I haven’t put any weight on despite going away for a couple of weekends and having my sister stay for a few days so that’s something.I’ve become addicted to 70% or above dark chocolate!My hubby and me love it but I need to stop eating it,can’t stop at one square.My WOE is rubbing off on my hubby.For Father’s Day he requested lasagne without lasagne sheets so I made it with sweet potato,also meat free,used green lentils.For pudding I’ve frozen some bananas and will attempt to make banana ice cream tomorrow which is basically frozen bananas processed with whatever flavouring you want,I’m going to use peanut butter.I know we shouldn’t have bananas but it’s better than cake I think,will just have a bit.Despite maintaining(sounds better than stalling)I’ve had many comments about losing weight and how good I look so that’s inspiring.However I’m still in the obese category and need to lose 5 pounds before I’m just overweight and still have just over 2 stone to lose to reach my goal.Please inspire me and help me!I need to get back into exercise again as well,not just walking the dog a lot and doing gardening.No one is coming for the next few weeks and we’re not going away so should be able to stay on track.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Well done BlackSpot sounds like you did brilliantly 👍🏻
    New day today…day 7…when I get to the end of the day it will be the end of my first week…I’ve lasted longer than I ever thought I would!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi wendyq and welcome back! It sounds like you’ve been doing really well. Why not set yourself a mini target for the rest of this 4 week challenge? Wouldn’t it be great if you could shed those 5 pounds by then? I’m aiming to lose around the same (ideally 7lb!) by Friday 13th July – when I go on holiday – so why not try that and let’s compare notes as we go?

What seems to work for a lot of people is shaking things up a bit and changing your normal pattern, just to kick start things again. For for some it may be doing a 24 hours fast, others trying 16:8 (or even 8:16) as a new daily pattern, others just a case of getting the book out again and going back to basics. Also varying your exercise programme as you mentioned. Well I’m aiming to try all of those things in rotation so will keep you posted!

Good luck everyone X

• posted by carothomas
    on

I’m just posting a mini-goal – my 5:2 hasn’t gone well this week, more like 7:0! So although I’ve tried to stay low-carb and have certainly avoided all the refined carbs etc, I’ve drunk too much wine and not got enough steps and my blood sugar reading this morning was the highest it’s been in weeks 🙁 So I’m going to try to do 5 days of 800kc/20g from tomorrow and see if that helps. I was having a break from Fast800 but think I need a boost. My number one WHY when starting this WoE was to reduce my blood sugars and that’s the one that is proving the hardest. There are so many factors to it, I guess. But I need to keep on keeping on and I will get there. I thought if I committed to it here, it would help me – now off to plan the menus and order groceries!

Have a good day, Zoomers!
    Caro
    x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
    I had a bit of a wake up call /reality check today. I was out with my family and we called into a cafe for coffee. The tables were really close together and so I had to ask the person behind me to move their chair in a bit so I could sit down. I ordered coffee and noticed one of my daughters looked upset. When asked what was wrong she said that she didn’t like what the lady behind us had said – apparently she’d told her friend to move his chair “as the big lady needs to sit down” – the big lady being me of course.
    Now the funny thing is that I don’t see myself as big. Since losing 13kg on BSD I don’t feel big. But in reality I suppose I am as I’m still about 3kg away from being overweight (I’m in the obese range for BMI), I’m a size 16-18, and 5ft 9 so could hardly be described as petite. So another reminder of why I need to keep
    Going with this WOE.
    By the way I do feel that the other lady was rude to say that, it’s not something I would do!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh SueBlue, people can be hurtful and unthinking, sometimes though they know exactly what they are saying and do it to make themselves feel better. Okay, we are big – we wouldn’t be on this site if we were slinky malinkys would we. You have a upper hand here as at least you have a good heart and are not a hurtful, nasty person with a small mind. Who is the winner here….

• posted by Momof2
    on

Hello Fellow zoomers!

I start of with an apology for silence over the last several days. Sadly we were dealing with a bereavement in the family and all my energies were directed at supporting and coping.

If you will have me back, I would very much like to join in the challenge for July?

Looking forward to meeting a few new people and carrying on getting to know some from the June thread further.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Momof2 I’m so sorry to hear that, I hope that you and the family are doing ok.
    Sueblue some people are so inconsiderate and can be unkind, just surround yourself with those that love you and care about you, they’re the people that matter! Well done you for all you’ve achieved so far.
    Today I’ve done ok, I stuck to my meal plans, but I did have one slip up where I just couldn’t resist one of my parents savoury pastries that they home cooked. They are just so yummy I had to have one. But I only had the one and I estimate probably about 250 calories so I didn’t blow it. Anyway tomorrow is Monday and the start of a new week so hopefully I’ll keep going onwards and upwards…just keep moving on from this…

• posted by Anonymous
    on

New week next week…new start with Monday, so let’s start it with lots of positivity! Sending lots of encouragement and positivity to all of us on this journey xx

• posted by wendyq
    on

Thanks for the advice dreamscometrue,I’ll kickstart tomorrow ,here’s to good results for both of us.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Thanks for the advice dreamscometrue,I’ll kickstart tomorrow ,here’s to good results for both of us.

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hello all
    Leaving my beloved snoozing forum, searching for a quick kick up the arse, so going to join this challenge a wee bit late!

Various health and holiday challenges have led to a nearly 13lb gain after an 85lb loss. I’m not overweight but a few refined carbs have crept in, this stimulating my appetite and cravings and then making it hard to maintain! So, time for a reboot! I’m dropping to 1100 tomorrow as have a hectic day and then full blown BSD 800 from Tuesday when back at work. Typical me, to be starting the week of my birthday, but I don’t want to wait another week.

Today I weighed in at 148lbs and will join you on weighday 26th June. Way to keep accountable on my birthday 😢😢😢

Hope everyone had a good Weekend and Father’s Day for those celebrating.

L xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

How clever of you to find Kazzi and I here, Leelee! Welcome, welcome! How are you feeling? Are you still
    working out in the pool each day? Traveling? Turning heads in Ireland? We want to know everything 🙂
    Since today is father’s day, how IS your Dad? Stay in touch, girl! You have been missed!

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

So good to see you here, lee lee . Made up! How are you, sweet? Xx

on

Hi Allie & Kaz 😘
    I remember you both mentioning the 4 week challenges, so decided to go hunting!
    I am still swimming. Went to aqua today after a 10 day break (turning heads in Ireland obvs!) It was so hard to motivate myself to go. It’s amazing how quickly you lose the will and the routine, but knew I had to go and once there, I really enjoyed it.
    I’m hoping that now exercise is part of my routine, it will help with the next cycle. I always feel more energised after moving!

I have a family wedding on 13th August in Northampton and do I’ve booked a personal shopper at Debenhams for 23rd July to pick an outfit. Thought that would be a nice reward.

Allie, Dad is really great at the moment. Only reviewed quarterly now, so pressure has dropped a bit now…thank you for remembering.

How are you both?

L xx

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hello hello! Can I join the challenge late please? Seriously need to get back on the wagon, have put on loads of weight in the past year going through fertility treatment etc but now we are having a break so time to look after myself! I find it sooo hard to stay motivated so will need your help but my hubby is away now until Friday so I have no excuse and a good incentive to lose a couple of pounds before he gets back! Hope you’re all doing well, keep going everyone!! X

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Morning all!
    Is today weigh in or tomorrow?
    Not that I jumped on the scales this morning and have any good news… 😁

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Momof2,
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Apologies all for absence, I’ve been catching up with reading, I’ve got so much on my kindle waiting for me! Also mixing oils (thank you Allie and Dr Axe). After hearing concerns about loose skin I’ve been exploring ways to prepare my skin for shrinkage 😃 so busy with the oils and mixing bath salts. I don’t know about everyone else but taking care of my skin hasn’t been a huge priority so I was really happy at how much softer and hydrated my skin felt after a sea salt soak and then an almond oil massage. I’m expecting Dr Axe’s magic face serum to roll back the years!!
    I’m surprised that squidgy fat is appearing all over the place. I’d sort of expected it to be in one area, get cleared and then move onto the next but it seems to work less systematically. I was taken aback this morning to wake up lopsided – one boob’s half the size of the other. It was a bit of a hullo old friend moment 😍 I do hope my body prioritises the other one!
    So my body’s definitely changing shape, the scales are keeping pretty quiet though.
    I’ve truly never lost weight like this before, my body’s changing quite differently from other weightloss attempts, which were close to starvation as it was the carbs causing the problem. I think that’s why fasting isn’t hard for me because I’ve been pretty close to it before.
    Look forward to joining al my fellow zoomers at the weigh in tomorrow. Best of luck everyone !

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Maggie! Sorry to hear of your shock this morning… I’d be inclined to keep some old socks handy to help disguise things until it catches up! 🙂
    LeeLee – glad to hear the pressure is off somewhat regarding your dad. What’s the latest on your situation? Do you have to just live with it for now?
    Momof2 – my condolences also.
    SueBlue – gosh, that was really rude and no wonder your daughter was upset. You’ll have the last laugh though Sue! We all will! 🙂
    Abisaysyes – all are welcome here!
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi all! Maggie that’s a weight-loss predicament I hadn’t thought of 😂😂 hope everything balances out soon!!
    Hope everyone is having a good day…keep sticking at it. Start of week 2 for me…long way to go but I keep thinking of that turquoise swimsuit I want to fit in 🤞🏻

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Have a stern word with your boobs Mrs T 😁

• posted by Anonymous
    on

have done so…think I’ve scared them now…make sure you warn all the other newbies about this 😂😂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Evening, All! I met your observations with a big dose of self deprecating humor this morning, Maggie, and I
    sincerely hope that they were intended in that way 🙂 Like you, my diet attempts in the past have confined
    themselves to semi starvation calorie restriction, and while effective, the weight piled back on with usually
    more attached to it. I knew nothing about the effects on those with insulin resistance, and the skies opened
    and a new era began when this piece of the puzzle was revealed to me. I have found that the BSD is so
    effective at burning fat from previous storage areas, that my body shape has completely changed, inspite
    of being at the same ideal BMI weight as before. I used to have a very mild pear shape, but I now
    resemble more of a narrow banana! Perhaps age, or being post menapausal is the floating variable, but
    that is still the unknown quantity that remains illusive for me. All part of the adventure, I think! 🙂

on

Evening all!

For those who don’t know me, I’ve had some muscle weakness issues and so today I had some nerve conduction tests. How painful?! At one point there was a wire inserted into my leg while they basically put electricity through it. Ouch! So, I’m fairly impressed with myself that I stuck to my goal today and I’m all prepared for day 1 proper tomorrow as I head back to work after 10 days off, lovely fresh crab salad packed for lunch. So much easier to follow this plan in the summer…

Mrs T, your boob story did so make me chuckle. Aren’t our bodies very complex and oh so wonderfully unique!

Kaz, I think with heart failure it’s a very fluid thing. He can be up and down but now that he’s stable I have a bit more freedom now as he’s usually pretty independent when well.

So, wish me luck for tomorrow and good luck all of you weighing in!
    L xx

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi Zoomers,
    My travelling scales have told me today that I have lost 2 lb. I’m really pleased as being away from home it’s much more difficult for me to stick to the fast 800. On the plus side there is a gorgeous pool here which I will really miss when I return home.
    I really enjoy reading everyone’s comments on the forum, it’s very encouraging to read of others tips and tales on this way of eating.
    Im flying home Friday, and I will be back onto the proper Fast 800, but at least whilst I’ve been away it has made me realise that if you are careful about what you chose to eat you can get by in real life. So hopefully there will be no more yo yo diets for me.
    Good luck to us all.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Well done Zinny! 🙂
    I’ve stayed the same which I’m pleased about after a week’s holiday. Good luck to everyone today! Onwards and downwards! 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by sydneysider
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve really enjoyed reading along with your journeys! So much inspiration here.

I’ve stuck to 800 calories for nine days, but had a slip up with one day of drinking and another where a banana and latte pushed me over to 1100. Following that, I’ve lost 1.3kg (2.8lb) – I can’t tell if that is a good result or not? I was hoping it would be slightly more. I’m just under 80kg (176lb).
    I’ve found the diet fairly easy to follow so far. I think drinking will be my undoing, with a few months of hens, weddings and 30ths on the horizon. Today, my workplace has been sent lots of chips and chocolate and everyone is going for it – the smell of sugar is in the air and its driving me crazy! I’ve had a little chocolate rice cake treat but don’t want to blow out my carb count either (I’m going for sub-40g).

I would love to hear from others: what is your technique for coping with temptation? What are so good low carb treats to keep on hand?

• posted by kaz62
    on

1/2 lb for me this week I was 2lb lower at the weekend but got all pleased with myself and lost focus so goal for this week is not to check the scales until next Tuesday . NSV have lost a dress size and much more of my summer wardrobe fits again xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi sydneysider,
    My technique for dealing with temptations comes from the idea that weight is just a figure on a scale, but working out WHY I want to get to my next target is a much more powerful motivator. For example, saying you want to get down 2 stone is fine, but its abstract, not many people are going to see you standing on the scales in your bathroom in a morning. – However, maybe you enjoy gardening and the spare tyre is a limit, maybe you have some special event coming up that you want to look good for. For me its about riding, and the impact my weight has on my horse and opportunities to go on riding holidays.
    A side benefit I have found from this technique is that it enables you to side step the pester power to just have one. – People seem to have more respect for you controlling your diet because you are preparing for a sporting event than if you are dieting to reduce weight.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Its 1.8kg drop for me this week. 🙂

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Morning everyone,

I’ve stayed the same this week, exactly 64.4kg not surprised as I’ve not been 100% strict. Oh well next week will be better!

KOKO! Xx

• posted by theblackspot
    on

This week I have lost… 6.4 lbs.
    Woohoo! Yay! party!!!
    However, it is my first week, so I guess a good bit of that is water….
    However…
    Woohoo yay! Party!! With smoked salmon salad and fizzy water.

Treats? Aren’t they what got me here?
    I’m being treated for what?
    I am treating myself well by washing my cells in all the lovely nutrition that all the salad and veggies are providing and loosing the weight that will make me very I’ll or worse…

This IS treating myself.
    Sugar be damned.

Though a really nice strawberry is a beautiful thing…

• posted by sydneysider
    on

JGwen – That is great advice, thank you. I’ve told people I’m on an eight week gym challenge as that seems to be quite in vogue at the moment. The pester power is strong though.
    My dad was on the cusp of going on medication for type 2 diabetes, and used BSD to lose 20kg and reverse the diagnosis, which is what triggered me into action. I was so reluctant to count calories after years and years of yo-yo dieting, but I think I might be able to stick to this.

And damn, the blackspot, I can’t argue with that logic! Congrats on your success!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Morning everyone! 5 1/2 pounds for me this first week…it’s my first week so I know it’s water weight, and that other weeks won’t be as much. For some of the more experienced here, what have you noticed in terms of weight loss over the 8 weeks? Did you have periods where it seemed to stall? Did you just stick to the plan and it then just kicked in and started losing again? Did any of you notice the “whoosh effect” at any stage on your weight loss journey?
    Well done everyone 👍🏻 Let’s keep going

• posted by Tillybud
    on

I’ve found you!
    Hi everyone and welcome to all newcomers.
    Sorry to hear of your loss momof2. Not a nice time.
    I am back from hols. I weighed 10st. 3 and a half pounds in Friday morning after we got back but this morning, miraculously it’s 10st and half a pound! After the crisps, nuts, baguettes, pains and raisins, wine egg that’s pretty good. Mind you we did lots of walking, swimming and cycling in between some cracking thunderstorms! France seems pretty wet to say the least this year. Diverted off a major road on way home because of flooding and land slips. Some of the campsites were pretty squidgy to say the least! Motor home stood up to the test though. No leaks. Apart from leaving one of the skylights open …….. but that’s another story!
    Sunshine girl i hope you haven’t been washed away and are enjoying your pool and hope the rain is getting less.
    Good luck to everyone with your goals and remember “one step at a time”.
    Hugs to each
    Holland x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

1 1/2 pounds this week, it would have been more I think, I was a pound lighter on my Monday weigh in, but I didn’t fast yesterday and had some rice, so I don’t think the loss is water as I have still been eating some carbs. I also measured myself this morning so I can track whether I am shrinking or growing in the all important shorts dimensions. I didn’t measure myself when I was originally losing the 8 stone, except for the waist to check on some obesity measures, but that only seems to be up one cm from where I was at target so I think most of the extra must be on hips and thighs as I suspected, so I measured those as well, and will see what another week brings.

Regarding treats, I am lucky that many BSD friendly foods are treats to me. I particularly love seafood and strawberries, (and a lovely bit of rib eye steak). Stodgier treats are still sometimes appealling and now I am maintaining can be indulged in occasionally, but offer me two plates, one with cake and one with strawberries I will always go for the strawberries.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Holland??? Where did that come from?
    Should of course have been. Tillybud x!! Bloody autocorrect 😊

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi MrsT, I had several periods where daily weighing didn’t show a reduction even on 800 BSD but as a weekly average my lowest weight loss was 1.6 pounds in the seventh week, when I was very close to my target. The highest was my first week at 9 pounds and I lost 26 pounds in total over the 8 weeks.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thanks mixnmatch…26 pounds is amazing!

• posted by Vulcan463
    on

Morning all

Week 2

Ok so I had a cheeky pre weekend weigh in on Thursday as I knew I was in for a heavy weekend (1940s themed party Friday, BBQ Saturday, Fathers Day brunch followed by trip to London for a concert Sunday). At that point I’d lost 6lbs. This morning after a weekend of excess and zero regard for the diet the rebound is only a 3lb gain. So overall still a net loss!!!

However I’m struggling this morning. I only got to see my boys for an hour on Sunday and even then because I had to get unpleasant and shame their mother into it. The consequence of that is that she has gone back and demanded even more money from me as maintenance – over £120 a week a still rising. Not bad going for a senior midwife in the NHS who earns over £46k! She gets away with this by refusing to let me see my boys overnight on the 50:50 basis we agreed through mediation and solicitors letters and then going to the authorities saying that I’m not providing for them. Feeling really down and have definitely lost all motivation.
    I have a couple of non diet days coming up too this week – a dinner at work to celebrate the D Day landings with as many D Day veterans as we have contact with in the local area and a 1st Birthday BBQ for my partner’s niece. But frankly I just want to get on it drink loads of alcohol and eat kebabs and curry.

Definitely not feeling the love for this this week – but my 200 cal salad is made and my swimming gear is packed for lunchtime – maybe that will help me out of my fuzz. (Although what I think I really need is an ex wife who doesn’t use my sons as weapons or as a means of financial gain)

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Well done for all the losses 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
    I was aiming to be 16 st something but weighed in at 17 st 1/4 lbs so 2 1/4 lbs loss in 3 days, so I’m now on your weigh day
    Week ahead all good aiming to be 16.9, and total loss so far 12 1/4lbs
    Happy week everyone 🙋

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Sydneysider, you can do this too.
    The BSB initial phase is only 8 weeks. And that limited time let’s me get on with it, knowing that I’m doing right.
    I meet so many people at work (paramedic) drifting into really serious illness through years of being overweight, having uncontrolled blood sugars or blood pressure.
    We in the west have got used to people who are cuddly looking being normal and larger people being ‘a bit over weight’.
    But we aren’t evolved to carry this weight and eating the limited diet we do, (toast for breakfast, pasta salad for lunch and pie and chips for dinner), is so limited from such a narrow group of plants and animals that is no surprise that’s we’re hungry all the time. Our bodies are asking for ‘nutrition’ but we just keep giving them calories from the same food. Why is it someone drasticly overweight who has eaten 4000 calories in a day already could feel hungry and eat another Domino’s pizza? Because they still haven’t fed their body what IT wants.
    Eat the rainbow. Try salads and veggies you never tried before.
    We have stopped eating things that used to be part of our diet cause it’s easy to fill a basket in the supermarket and they fill the shelves with easy and profitable goods.
    An example is my Romanian neighbours, out on a walk with me started collecting a ‘weed’called fat her, I was used to seeing in on my veg plot as a weed, but they say its a commonly gathered green used back home. I was later given a savoury pastry with that as a filling. Loads of garlic and tasty!

Anyway I’m ranting now…
    On this diet yes my tummy rumbles as its empty and has nothing much else to do. But being empty isn’t a problem, I’ve got loads of energy stored up round my waist. I’m not feeling hungry because I’m ploughing into the good stuff!
    Remember, you are doing great things for yourself because you want to.
    You are eating foods that feed your body not your fat cells.
    And sugar & white flour are just additive white powders… Not healthy!
    Good luck everyone.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Great post BlackSpot, that gave me a real pick me up to start the day

Please log in or register to post a reply.