ZOOMERS! REACH FOR THE SKY, LOW CARBS IN JULY! – 4 WEEK CHALLENGE TO 10 JULY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hello zoomers, how is everybody doing today? Hope we’re all staying strong!
    Today I’ve found my mood has been a little better although I’m still pretty grumpy. But ive found I’m really struggling with the lack of energy…even going for a walk today felt like hard work. When did you find this improved? I’ve been drinking lots of water to keep the hunger pangs at bay, but that does mean I’m constantly peeing 😂😂

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Ok maybe I’m grumpier than I let on…watching my daughter eating her pizza for dinner and just playing around with her food instead of inhaling it down like I would given half a chance is actually making me a bit crazy!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Stuck to 800 calories today, but far too many carbs from bread, albeit not white. Will have to work my way back to ignoring the stuff even if I hate throwing it away, and it goes off so fast in this sticky weather. Tomorrow I will probably have more calories, but not until the evening, and try to keep lower carbs, with no bread. No problem with hunger, it seems my metabolism is still relatively well adjusted despite my months of being back on unregulated carbs. I will measure my hip and thigh measurements next Tuesday, so I can get some feedback as to whether my version of the BSD is working on the areas I need them to. I will also commit to half an hour on the cross trainer on any non badminton/HIIT days, to accelerate my increasing fitness and build some more muscle. I will jump on the Boditrax again after my birthday at the end of this month and will report back what it says.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Vulcan my husband used to have 2 spoonfuls of sugar in his coffee for years, but now has it without any sugar or sweeteners, I never thought I’d see the day!
    Hope everyone is going well so far. I had a very active day yesterday, walking over 26,000 steps. We went to the Vivid light festival in Sydney, it was lovely walking around the harbour and botanic gardens, although my feet are sore this morning!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Morning everyone!

MrsThompson your energy will return – I reckon after about a week on this diet. I remember a head fuzz for the first few days. Plenty of sleep and rest, maybe curl up watch a comfort movie or read a good book or have a long bath: anything to settle your body and mind. You will then find the energy starts to increase and you feel even better than before. Good luck!

Vulcan don’t give up – this diet really is worth persevering, even as you say if you adapt it to your particular needs and circumstances.

My digital scales have now arrived and things are not as bad as I feared. With my old analogue ones I had been down at 136/137lb for quite a while but had crept up to 140lb after a series of special events and too much food and wine. The ones in the gym though showed around 146/147lb so I was horrified. It had taken me so long to get below 9 stone (140lb) and I had been there for a long time so was not happy. Anyway I finally bit the bullet and got proper scales instead of “best guess where the line is settling” ones, and I’m just over 142lb. So my short term aim is to get properly back under 140lb and into the 9’s ASAP and ideally I’d like to be at 136/137lb before my holiday in 4 weeks; so by the end of this challenge. Wish me luck!

A bit like MixnMatch I have begun wandering from the low carb path without too much disaster so far but do now want to move forward again: so it’s time to rein it in a bit. If I can succeed I’d like to ultimately get down to around 130lb but that’s for a future challenge!

Keep zooming everyone X

• posted by Vulcan463
    on

Morning!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement SueBlue and Dreamscometrue.

Much better yesterday – for a start no headache!! Managed to get my hour of phys in. I’m lucky enough to have a career that expects you to do exercise and so lunchtime sessions are fully encouraged. We had an hour of 4 v 4 basketball, football, deck hockey and netball with a rugby ball. First goal wins the losers carry out 5 exercises each for upper body, abs and lower body. In an old gym with a glass roof it certainly makes you sweat!
    Kept to around the 800cals mark, give or take, again avoiding all the nasty white carbs completely.

Off to see what today brings whilst resisting the urge to keep checking to see if I’ve lost anything!

Have a good day peeps

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hi Maggiebath sorry for the delay. I didn’t stop yesterday and work turned into a 13.5 hour shift. So last night I just crashed!
    No, I’m not aware of Dr’s getting new CPD on nutrition. But as more evidence comes in bodies like NICE who use Clinicial evidence to promote best practice will change the treatment advice.
    Below is a link to the NICE site for clinicians with the advice NHS Dr’s & nurses are told to give us at the minute… It’s still not good. The fear of people dying from Hypos due to anti diabetic medicine is my guess on why carbs are pushed in that framework, as hypos can kill or lead to brain damaging seizures that are life changing. So when weighed against managed decline… They aren’t sharing ‘our’message yet.
    https://cks.nice.org.uk/diabetes-type-2#!scenariorecommendation:3

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hi Vulcan463, brunch with the boys… Full English, but no toast or fried bread. And if you’re cooking in make sue the sausage is above 88% meat and not less than 50%(Richmonds… Bleugh!). It could be an 800 kc day, just on breakfast. Salad and Gin for dinner you would still be under your TDEE…
    Keeping your body burning fat for energy, rather than giving it the chance to go back to carbs is beneficial. As ketogenesis, turning fats into useable energy, is where you are now.
    Enjoy that fry up!
    (Alternative point if view… It’s only 8 weeks this stage of the diet/lifestyle. So if one big breakfast and some Gin is worth more than the chance to drop a load of weight quickly and go on to having a regular Gin on a maintaince low carb lifestyle in a couple of weeks time…. I lost 30lbs in the 8 weeks I did this strictly back in 2016. And afterwards stayed stable for 12 months before creating back up the scales after adding in bread cards and trips to france/spain filled with pate on BREAD and croissants…)
    sorry for the long post.
    And more power to your arm in taking hold of your own health.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

SueBlue – your walk sounds lovely. My daughter and family lived for many years near Manly Dam and then Beacon Hill and I so enjoyed walking around the harbour and the botanical gardens when we visited.

Marie123 – that’s exactly where I was when I hit my target weight and came off the insulin.
    Although I stayed in the forum I actually was at serious risk of slipping back. I didn’t want to lose more weight and wasn’t clear in my head exactly what I should be doing.

It wasn’t until JGwen posted about the WHY being so important that I really thought about why I was doing the BSD. Of course it wasn’t about the lovely UK size 8 and 10 clothes and looking in the mirror and seeing that slender person – my WHY was to stay off the insulin and avoid the diabetes complications. That re-energised me and I had a real reason to join in the challenges – and of course the weight I had regained just dropped off effortlessly.

I love reading the posts on this forum – it’s so lovely to read about how you all are overcoming you challenges and your progress to a healthier life.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Morning all!
    Vulcan glad you had a better day yesterday…I was exhausted just reading all the activity you did! Well done you! And sueblue you must have barely sat down yesterday with all that walking! Good job 👍🏻
    Thanks dreamscometrue…Ive got fingers crossed that by next week I’ll feel better…I can’t live the rest of my life feeling so tired! But I’m not giving in like I have before… I know I’ve got to stick to this and it will eventually get easier. Thank you everyone for all your encouragement, I can’t tell you what a difference a forum like this makes. To see us all going on our respective journeys together is lovely, I really enjoy reading how everybody is doing.
    Let’s keep it up…Day 4 for me!

• posted by carothomas
    on

Good morning Zoomers!

I’m just here to say hi and hope everyone is having a good day, really. I’m doing a stint of 5:2 currently but trying to stay low carb all the time – it really does get easier with time. I ask myself whether it’s really worth it before I allow myself a small slide and am amazed to find that I’m starting to say “no” more often. Is it worth potentially spiking my sugars? Is it worth derailing my weightloss efforts? Is it worth risking my newly achieved much lower blood pressure? Those are the questions I try to ask myself rather than just agreeing that “I want it”. Seeing that written down in black and white is making me wonder why on earth I ever say yes!

Right, I’m limping off to try and get some steps, as my fasting blood sugars were higher than I’d like – I’ve had a bad back since Sunday and as a result my steps have plummeted 🙁

Keep on keeping on, everyone!
    Caro
    x

• posted by Anonymous
    on

That’s a good checklist to remember…rather than acting on that initial impulse, to stop and take a minute to ask those questions…I’m going to try and add that to my thought process.
    Going to try and have a short walk this morning…it’s started raining…typical UK

• posted by Vulcan463
    on

Thanks for the words of encouragement blackspot. Yup what you said is what I figured. I’m fortunate insofar as at the moment (!) I only have to loose weight for me and not for any specific medical reason. Seeing the boys and having a fun time with them is far more important than a rigid inflexible routine.

Determined to get the weight down though and the only reason I’ve tried to go hardcore is that it fits the way my brain processes goals best – ie short term maximum gain.

Anyway an hours swim is on the menu today!

• posted by theblackspot
    on

I’m with you on that Vulcan463 maximum gain for the minimum time of self denial! Have a great weekend!
    I’m cooking a lot of pulled pork for my mums birthday do on Saturday so might also be enjoying the day…

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Thank you Blackspot for answering so comprehensively. I guess one answer might be to train diabetic nurses to manage patients more closely to handle the diet.
    Vulcan you’re sounding a lot more positive 🙂
    My new all singing, all dancing scales have arrived which sync with my Fitbit and tell me amazing things, though not my visceral fat; as I’m a typical apple I have to assume there’s a lot of it😐
    I’m discovering what a blunt instrument BMI is; mine is 23.2 but my body fat is 34.1% so I’ve calculated that I’ve got 14 lbs to lose which will take me down to 20.6, well down the healthy range. Obviously I don’t accept them as gospel but I am inclined to believe them. I also know that in the dim and distant past it wasn’t until I was 5lbs less than that that an actual waist appeared.
    Anyway it’s interesting bringing a new and relevant metric in.
    Happy zooming all
    Maggie

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hi Maggiebath, I know what you mean about BMI being a blunt tool, but as I know I’m not a rugby playing athlete… I guess it’s all fat! My scales tell me a fat% and that tells me I’m not in the best place to be. Knowledge is power though. Good luck with your journey.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Can I ask…roughly how many carbs are you having a day? Do you remember when you first started this diet how many carbs you were having? Not sure what kind of level I should be aiming for…

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Mrs Thompson! Not sure who this question is directed to, but I’ll respond with my own anecdotal
    experience…I began at about 40g of net carbs. After 2 months I experienced a plateau that lasted
    for 18 days where the scales didn’t move at all. I went back to the drawing board, researched keto
    diets, and simply adopted the carb recommendations there, <20g per day. For the remainder of my
    weight loss period I never experienced another plateau, and lost a dependable 3.5lbs a week until
    I reached my target. It took 10 months, not really a lot of time, considering it too 17 years to put
    on the weight. 🙂 I hope the carb flu symptoms are abating for you!

Allie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thanks Allie, the question was for anybody who had time to answer! When you’re counting carbs are you counting total carbs or net carbs? I’ve just been going on the values on the back of packets which I’m guessing is total carbs?
    I’m feeling a bit better this evening! I had some really tasty fish and my favourite cheese so I’m feeling happier than I have done this week.

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Carb flu, Yup that’s it. Bone weary, aching headache… Was awful by the end of yesterday and this morning, but getting better through the day.
    Carbs. Less IS more!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mrs T., I’m American, so our nutritional panels show total carbs, and we have to subtract the fiber
    to arrive at “net carbs”. It is my understanding that in the UK this has already been done for you.
    I’m hoping one of your countrymen will come along and confirm it for you 🙂

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Mrs Thompson
    Some people keep to below 50g carbs, others below 20g carbs. Some start at 50g and move down if they find they are not losing so much. I went straight in at 20g carbs but that’s because I’m Type II Diabetic and I’d read here and elsewhere that would give me best results for my blood sugar levels etc

I’m sure other people will also be able to advise on what they did.

Btw, hope you start to feel more energetic soon. Like you, I couldn’t follow any way of eating that made me feel permanently tired. You won’t, I promise.

As far as my targets for this month, I’ve managed to do 12,400 steps so far today (even with a bit of a wild wind blowing) so happy with that.

Krysia – thanks for your kind words. Reaching maintenance I think I definitely hit a psychological bump in the road – but I definitely feel more back on track today. I’m just going to do what sunsine-girl advises us all to do – keep on keeping on.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Mrs Thompson
    I’ve only been on this way of eating for 6weeks but right from the outset I went low on carbs, around 20, because I’m just impatient and I want everything yesterday.
    Some products seem to require an adjustment from the gross to net, but it’s the net figure you need.
    Maggie

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi again – yes, if in the UK you just need to add up the number of carbs for each food/meal. If you don’t already use fatsecret.co.uk or MyFitnessPal you might find that really helpful – enter what you’ve eaten, it will work out total carbs, cals, protein etc for you. xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

By the way, Maggie…This is somewhat off topic, but I remember reading that hypertension was a
    particular concern for you. You may have already done research on the correlation of omega 3
    to omega 6 in protecting your heart. This subject is of major importance in my life, as I have
    cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) and my husband has advanced coronary artery disease. Western
    diets are way too high in omega 6 fatty acids, and wild fish is the best source of omega 3, wild salmon
    being the gold standard. Just a thought! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thank you so much for the help, that’s made things a lot clearer for me! So much to think about with this food tracking… I guess it’ll become more routine as time goes on. Thanks again everyone x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mrs. T, you are absolutely right. In short order measuring and counting will become second nature
    to you, and you will do it automatically, like washing a piece of fruit before eating it!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Thanks Allie, yes I’m exploring far and wide now- and thanks for the tip on Josh Axe, his Eat Dirt has been downloaded. Our children were brought up with dogs cats and horses and certainly ate plenty of it! Their friends when they were over- quite apart from their crazy food preferences – were instructed by their parents to wash their hands every time they touched a four legged animal. These kids were not thrifty.
    Oddly, I nearly always have bone broth (we call it stock) in the fridge but give it to the dogs! Since I discovered this WOE they’ve moved on to a diet without any refined carbs and I’m seeing a difference in elderly pug who’s quite arthritic. Last week I started her on turmeric capsules and I’m looking forward to elder daughter coming home in July (she’s a maitre’d on a cruise liner) to see if she notices the difference. Some frankincense arrived today so when I mix it with a carrier there’ll be some puggie massage 🐶
    Lavender and rosemary for me which should make a relaxing sleeping environment.
    I have been quite off salmon as the farmed stuff is so oily and unpleasant but I’ll make a point of trying some wild.
    You’re amazing, you have such major concerns of your own and yet you have so much kindness to share with others.
    Have a lovely day x
    Maggie

• posted by marie123
    on

Allie, what do you mean ‘washing a piece of fruit before eating it’ ? Oh dear, my Mum always said I was a mucky pup!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

😂😂

• posted by Speedy
    on

Oh I have had a bad few days after a very good start. Today is Day 14. But eagerly awaiting my second delivery of shakes to actually arrive. For me they worked well in the first week and the hiatus has caused this blip (excuse!). But I’m holding on to this horse with my finger tips and determined to get back on properly.
    I felt so good, now I feel blobby! But all things can and may change!

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Maggiebath, look up http://www.rawmeatybones.com
    It’s by an Ausie vet who worked out why wild dogs Dingos wolves and the like didn’t get the diseases of our pet pooches. Diet! Since Victorian times we’ve been messing with dogs eating habits since an enterprising salesman with unwanted ‘ships biscuits’ (sailor food) RE branded them as ‘Did biscuits’… He advocates dogs should eat raw meaty bones, offal, and no carbs (my Labrador disagreed but looked great for her 18 years and was happy to walk miles right up to her last 6months.
    In the UK vets nutritional training is very often ‘sponsored’ by pet food manufacturers leading to unbalanced advice to vets then to us. (if NICE can’t do good nutritional information for humans then the canines are probably out of luck with vet school.)
    Blackspot.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Blackspot, that’s an extraordinary age for a Lab! Yes I know the raw movement is really big but it doesn’t appeal to me. As for the ghastly stuff vets recommended , well it’s follow the money !
    Maggie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Good morning zoomers!
    Made it to Friday! Day 5 today and I’m starting to feel better than a couple of days ago…hope you all have a wonderful day and keep going!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hooray Mrs Thompson! Stay with it and you’ll feel wonderful. Miso soup is something I’ve found really useful. Little sachets of yumminess with just 21 calories, surprisingly filling and you can add prawns, spring onions, whatever takes your fancy.
    I wonder if the real barrier to losing weight is that over the years we have repeatedly tried and failed so we are conditioned to expect
    failure and may even subconsciously sabotage ourselves?
    I think it’s critical to our success here that those who have made massive achievements are active in supporting us and tell us everyday that it works.
    So thank you early adopters 🤗
    Maggie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Thanks Maggie, it’s great to start feeling more energy today and to not feel as annoyed with everyone as well! Miso soup is a good one to try, will add to my list.
    I think you’re absolutely right about the psychological aspect with dieting. I know I’ve tried so many diets over the years and failed at them all and piled the weight on…as a result my self belief was at a complete low and I kept expecting to fail at a diet. I was a classic yoyo dieter, which I suspect many people are. This group has made a real difference to my self belief and for me that’s key. I think the psychological aspect of dieting is a huge factor in whether you can stick with it or not.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Mrs Thompson I was the same as you when I started this diet – not expecting to succeed. Joined the forums but fully envisaged having to creep away quietly, tail between legs!

But it does work and I have lost over 2 stone so far, a bit more to go. I’m sure you will find success too. I think because there is such lovely food that you can eat – and the emphasis is on the positives rather than negatives – it is relatively easy to stick to if you really want to do it.

Also one other thought about the tiredness, make sure you are getting enough salt. I’m not an expert so please check it out, but it’s something to do with electrolytes. So you may need to add a little salt to your food – even though that is often seen as a big no no!! I know it helped me when my energy was flagging.

Have a great weekend everyone X

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, Mrs. T and Maggie 🙂 It’s a little early for me on this side of the pond, just past 5:30am,
    but I’m enjoying these first posts of the day! I’m so happy that you are fighting your way through the
    first week, Mrs T. While it is on my mind, I’d like to recommend a book that I was very fortunate to
    find at the very beginning of my journey, and I relentlessly and shamelessly bring it up at the beginning
    of each new 4 week challenge. Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat..and What To Do About It” changed
    my life. It’s a wonderful companion to MMosley’s books, but it alone clarified my understanding
    of how refined carbs/sugar do damage to the body. I’ve never looked at food the same since,
    and I think it was much easier to adjust to this way of eating as a lifestyle, rather than a finite period
    of “dieting” per se. If I had it within my power to present a copy to every new member to the com-
    munity as a gift, I’d happily do so! I definitely need COFFEE at this hour, but will be checking in with
    you all later 🙂

Allie

• posted by theblackspot
    on

After dieting we go back to eating ‘normal’ food.
    That’s, for me, the problem. The food that is all around and readily available is the food that makes me fat!
    I have nice pubs near me that do crest craft beer and hand made pizza. I like sushi with all its white rice. Buy a sandwich, homousc great, but on loads of toast?
    The everyday temptation to eat what your mate next to you is having off the menu without making a fuss or having a meal with the carbs removed but no extra salad veggies and protein or oils to make it satisfying makes that choice difficult.
    When I’m eating this way, the low carb way, pileing into salads, roasted veggies, grilled meat and fish and lashings of chili sauce my mouth is happy.
    It’s falling off the wagon that’s hard to avoid in the ‘normal’ food environment that’s harder. But getting better.
    I’ve found some motorway services stations have boiled eggs h spinach leaves as part of the grab food now, which is a start, but otherwise pack up lunches it is.
    Anyone else found any easy & available food for when they are out and about?
    (whilst doing the 800 calories it not a problem, eating is so infrequent, but after when maintaining or intermittent fasting is when I mean.)

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Dreamscometrue I use Himalayan salt, a pinch several times a day and that keeps me drinking.
    Now I’ve gone alternative I’ve really gone for broke (do nothing by halves should be my motto) and watched a series of videos on YouTube by Barbara O’Neill. There’s one called “The importance of salt and water” which explains it all.
    Maggie

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Dreamscometrue that is exactly what I was expecting to happen to me to…I though I’d have to creep of the forum a failure! My energy levels today have been so much better, I really am glad I stuck with this. I’m drinking so much water, and am managing to cope with hunger pangs. This weekend will be the big test as the family will be home and eating whatever they fancy but I’m feeling more confident and determined now to face it and succeed. I can’t believe how much weight you’ve managed to lose, well done.
    Allie thank you so much for the book recommendation, I’ll look it up when I get a chance.
    Thank you all for all the advice, support and encouragement, it’s invaluable and makes such a difference.
    BlackSpot I eagerly await answers to your question…I’d love to know if anyone has any tips for easy food when out and about that fits in with this lifestyle.
    X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi zoomers
    May I join you tomorrow after my weigh in, then I will follow your tues weigh in if I may.
    I’m a old returnee needing a big poke to wake me up and face reality.
    My life for the last 6 mths has been all over the place, but things have levelled out and barring illness or death should stay like that for quite a while. So I’m going for it now.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome back Jan, how are the barns coming along? There are a few old hands around at the moment making a push for summer.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Wow mixnmatch
    What a memory, yep I’m now a full time labourer, as the barns are still in progress. Hence why I need to feel better, a 60 yr old lugging 7 st something extra around is asking for trouble, I’m fairly fit but need to be much better.
    Glad to see some names I know how are you doing.
    😊

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Over eighteen months ‘maintenance’ now, and still mostly size 12 even though my weight has gone back up into over BMI 25 territory. I am going for a few weeks logging my food and weight again, just to try to get back into my favourite pair of size 10 surf shorts for my summer holiday 😂 otherwise I still feel much fitter and slimmer than a few years ago.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Mixnmatch
    That’s brilliant work I’m sure you will get into those shorts again
    🙋

• posted by zinny
    on

Hello everyone
    I’m looking at my scales right now in my bedroom here. I’m sure that the fact of them being there in front of me has stopped me from eating too many of the wrong things whilst being unexpectedly away. I’m just back from swimming and ready to face another day of oh just have one or go on it won’t hurt you! I think of the scales weighting(get it) for me and it stops the hand going to the mouth!
    If I can stay the same I will be very pleased, who knows I might even have a loss. I’ll be flying back home 22 nd June, so I will be back on the right way proper, but I’m being mindful and you know what it, it’s not as hard as I thought it was going to be. It’s easy to say to the waiter no rice or chips – can I have extra salad with that, there’s plenty of chicken or fish dishes available, so here’s hoping.
    All the best to us all

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Good morning all!
    Zinny that was a great idea to take scales with you…a visible reminder for you…I too have dug out my scales instead of hiding them away to give me a kick up the bum!
    Hope everyone has a good day…day 6 for me today and the first with the whole family home…determined to stay strong and not let them derail me…

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Morning folks.
    Been up since 5 putting some pork shoulders on my smoker for a party at my mum & dads later today. Mums birthday, so cake, booze galore, paella more booze…
    I’m planning on taking the pulled pork, and a really zingy herby coleslaw that’s more veg & dressing than mayo & sugar.
    I’ve heard about vinagre based drinks and have been having cider vinagre with soda, and it’s lovely. So going to try and jazz that up a bit to avoid too much booze.
    Wish me luck going to the land of temptations!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Good luck BlackSpot! Hope you have a great day celebrating with your family 👍🏻

Please log in or register to post a reply.