Would you like to share your success story?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ian Spencer
    on

After only 2 weeks on the BSD my fasting blood glucose is down from 6.7 to 5 mmol/l. I’ve lost 3.6kg & my blood pressure is down from 140/90 to 120/75. I’m delighted. I’ve had to modify the BSD a bit to take account of the fact I run about 40 miles a week. I just have unsweetened porridge for breakfast.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

IN November 2017 I went to see my GP for my routine bloods. He asked me what I had been doing because my levels were all normal, infact he told me that my diabetes was gone!. I confessed I had not taken ANY medication since I starting in April – he was shocked. I now have bloods once a year as well as my eye scans as a “precaution” (his words, not mine) but this morning my level was 4.1. I had a full roast dinner the night before. I have no problems with hands or feet, and I no longer feel sluggish and lethargic.

He said he wished he could “get me out there to talk to other patients” – 2 work colleagues also purchased the recipe book and one no longer needs his insulin top up.

All in all, not only do I now eat more tastier foods, but it’s the best money I ever spent, apparently less than 2 standard cups of take away coffee.

I am glad to see more of Michael in the Daily Mail and I always stick up for him and the various methods if needs be, these are no bullshit sensible approaches and it’s possible to do 0 exercise and still lose weight.

All my friends told me coke zero was the problem as to why I had diabetes, and yet I drunk it in high volume every day through the BSD. I also lost 2 stone and It had zero effect on weight.

After years of trying shakes and throttling the calories – I found this 800-1000 a day diet to be not only filling but easy to manage. I mean come on.. Who isn’t full after scoffing green beans? I love green beans!

If it’s good enough for the med then it’s good enough for me!

• posted by Angela06
    on

Pcoventry….many congratulations. You must feel so pleased and relieved. It just goes to show how powerful this way of eating is…

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Thank you Angela, and yes it does – I always wondered if people in the Med really did live long lives – and now I know it’s very possible if you eat this way!

• posted by Robb58
    on

I’ve been on the BSD for coming up to 3 weeks now and I’m totally transformed already. In that small amount of time I’ve lots 23lbs and 7 inches around the waist (across the belly button).
    I thought I might be in for a struggle with feeling hungry on just 800 calories but with the aid of the MyFitness app I’ve been able to work out proper meal plans that keep the hunger pangs at bay. Perhaps surprisingly, my energy levels have soared compared to what they used to be. I average about 14,000 steps a day and do a bit of exercising with weights – a far cry from just sitting at my desk all day long like I used to do a couple of weeks back!
    Probably the hardest part has been when my wife and kids pile into the snacks and nice crusty bread. It’s all still around me at home but I just remember my goal and get buoyed by my success so far. People around me are starting to really notice and clothes, especially t-shirts are starting to fit and hang in the right way, so no more ironing my shirts on a wok! lol

• posted by marie123
    on

Robb58 – that is such a great thing to hear – I’m so pleased things are going so well for you. Congratulations.

pcoventry – congratulations to you, too. Sometimes, it gets so busy on the Forum that I miss things, but I’m really glad to have read your story, also.

Ian – hope you are still going strong, too. Isn’t it great when you begin to see results like that; all those crucial numbers going down. Brilliant. The thing just works!

• posted by Robb58
    on

Thanks everyone 🙂
    Things have levelled out a little bit over the past week – where previously I had drops of 2lb a day I’m only getting half pound drops at the moment, but I have a feeling it could be the water retention thing that I’ve seen discussed elsewhere on this forum, so I’m fully expecting the “woosh” to happen. Regardless of the comparative lull I’m still overjoyed at my progress and the numbers are still dropping faster than on any previous attempts at losing the blubber.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s not a lull, Rob, even comparatively. Your initial figures were extraordinary, but they did follow an often-seen pattern of large losses in the first two weeks followed by the establishment of a new normal. People shed a great deal of water weight after they cut carbs. Once that’s gone the losses usually level out. That’s not to say you won’t have fantastic results like this in the coming week. In weeks 7 and 8 of my initial foray into the Fast 800 I lost 7 pounds each week. You can see why I decided to just keep going until I reached my goal weight.

I’m so happy for your phenomenal success and hope you post an update or even post on the forum in some of the other threads. I had very much the same immediate reaction to the BSD, turning almost overnight into the energetic, positive, goal-focused individual I never imagined I could be. Congratulations and keep up the great work!

• posted by Coxeee
    on

Hi all.
    Had some health problems last October, Diabetes diagnosis came along same time as a mildish heart attack.
    My Hba1c result at this time was 81. Lipid levels weren’t great either. I was 17 1/2 stone and not feeling very well at all.
    Got prescribed Metformin along with the other medications stemming from the heart problem.
    Just looking at the daily list of stuff I had to take was just depressing. So I thought ” how can I do without this particular drug” I remembered watching a program about Blood sugar and a way of, if not reversing Diabetes, at least having some control over it. So I bought the book. Well , what a change.
    I’ve now been using a form of this plan since November, I now weigh less than 14 stone (this morning. 1st time for years) and at my last blood tests my Hba1c were down dramatically to 42, and cholestorol/Triglyceride levels were excellent.
    My Wife has also reduced her weight from 12st 9lbs to under 10 stone. She has dropped from an 18 to a 12 and couldn’t be happier.
    I don’t think I’m being over dramatic here when I say that I owe my life to Dr Mosely. So thanks Very much.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Coxeee – that is an impressive story. Congratulations on turning your life around. You are an inspiration.

• posted by Keepinitoff
    on

I was diagnosed t2 on Nov 15 2017 A1c was 8.8.I am 54 year old female was 250lbs. I was told over the phone by nurse just telling me my diabetes was out of control and to pick up my meds at the pharmacy take them for 3 months go on internet find the ADA diet and try to eat better.come back in three months for another appointment. Well I went on the internet and did my own research found BSD followed it for 3 months.Never took meds. Never strictly using recipes just kept calories and carbs down. No processed anything. Went back to Dr. Yesterday down 48 Lbs(almost 20 percent of me) blood work no non-diabetic 5.5 all other blood work good/ normal only need to loose 1 more inch around my waist to be in safe zone.Dr can’t believe it she is so impressed asked me to share diet so she can pass it on

• posted by Gattina
    on

That is impressive keepinitoff – well done. It is so inspiring hearing stories like yours – reassures me I can do this too 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Fantastic results, keepinitoff! Do you plan to keep going until you reach your final target?

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Outstanding keepinitoff. Hoping others will also post there stories here….even if posted elsewhere so those considering the diet can see all the success stories in one place.

For myself, have lost 50 lbs, 37 of it since the end of OCT ’17. Awaiting my next MD apt the end of March to see how my blood numbers look. Hoping I have moved out of pre-diabetic range.

• posted by marie123
    on

Coxeee and Keepinitoff – they are two wonderful success stories. Congratulations to you both, and to your wife, Coxeee. A size 12 is still in the future for me.
    I was diagnosed as having diabetes last August. My Hba1c result then was very high and after following the BSD way of eating for a few months my next Hba1c in November was back in the normal range. Like both of you, and a lot of other people on here, I found my own way through research etc to BSD and I’ll be eternally grateful to have been diagnosed at a time when people like Michael Mosley (and others) are changing thinking about how to manage t2 diabetes. I don’t think you’re being over dramatic at all, Coxeee, and Keepinitoff, great going on the waist size, too. It’s also so heartening to hear about a GP wanting to know more about this way of eating.
    As Gattina says it’s so inspiring to hear stories like yours.

• posted by Keepinitoff
    on

I am continuing. I plan on loosing 30 more lbs. Although the less gets more and more gradual. I just feel so much better since BS has come down. Didn’t know how tired I felt until I did.

• posted by Clarerocks
    on

Congratulations Coxeee, Keepinitoff, luvtcook and Marie123. I love reading the success stories . There such a great incentive! Thanks for sharing your stories.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Outstanding progress Coxeee, Keepinitoff, luvtcook and Marie123. Sincere congratulations for now and good wishes for your ongoing endeavors. Very inspiring👏👏

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’m feeling very pleased with myself as (according to the NHS guidelines) I’m no longer overweight! It’s a big range and I’m only just inside, but it still feels great. Six weeks ago, I was only two pounds inside the obese range, and I know if I’d not started the BSD I’d be there by now, so I feel this is a real achievement. I feel much healthier too – and have had to buy a belt!

I want to lose a bit more and be somewhere in the middle of the healthy range. That’s my next challenge, then on to maintenance.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Well done Squidge – that must be a great feeling, no longer being overweight. That is a long way off for me still – but I will get there slowly.
    Keepinitoff – I know what you mean about not knowing how tired you are – I used to sit on the sofa far too tired to move and it didn’t seem strange to me that I never had any energy. I’ve only been doing this for 7 weeks and I’ve noticed such a difference in my energy – I don’t know how I managed to do anything being so tired all the time.

• posted by marie123
    on

Squidge – have replied on your other thread, but can’t say congratulations too often – so congratulations, again!
    Keepinitoff – I meant to reply the other day. You’ve managed so well already so you may not need to, but if you would like company as you continue to lose weight (if you think it would help) there is another 4 week challenge about to begin tomorrow. (It’s a way of supporting each other as we try to meet our 4 week goals – often weight loss – but not always). The new thread will be titled ‘Success in March without the starch’ (or similar – knew I should have checked before posting!). n.b. other threads are also available. Good luck with the 30lbs x

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Keepinitoff and Gettina,

I agree with you on the tiredness issue. – I used to do a little, sit down on the settee with a coffee (with sugar) to catch my breath. Get up and do a little more, then another rest and coffee. Obviously the carbs were controlling the energy I had available. I am doing about double the amount each day nowadays. – When I think about it, I used to listen to friends who are old enough to be my mother talking about how tired they feel all the time and I could relate to it. Thinking about it, I shouldn’t have been feeling like that but it crept up on me so slowly.

• posted by alliecat
    on

It does, doesn’t it JGwen! I lived with chronic fatigue syndrome for 17 years. Once I dropped the carbs to
    <20 and got into ketosis/fat burning, all those fatigue symptoms became history. Glorious and magnificent!

• posted by Borg7x9
    on

Hello everybody…….
    My story is a very simple one…. I’m 5ft 8in and 46 days ago was 128kg. ( I’ve weighed every day and recorded my weight so far ). My initial target for the eight weeks was to lose 18kg.
    I started the 8week fast 800 in early Jan, and I’ve got 10 days to go before the end of my first 8 weeks.
    The reasons for my doing the diet was primarily weight loss. But I believe that the weight loss has many other health benefits. Not least of which is higher self esteem due to the perception of improved self image (whether real or not). It’s real… :-).
    With 10 days to go it doesn’t feel like a diet anymore. My eating schedule has become habit and I intend to continue until I’ve reached my weight target of 90kg.

I believe I’ve been successful by keeping it very simple. My diet had been based around 5 things that I’ve really enjoyed from the recipes in the book.
    1. Mushrooms, beans, mozzarella.
    2 Mushrooms, pine nuts, goats cheese.
    3. Chicken, basil, Parmesan
    4. Eggs any style
    Snacks of cashews, almonds, cheddar cheese.
    Lots of English breakfast tea with milk and lots of Water.
    No specific exercise.
    And that’s it.

I’ve lost 16 kg so far and I think I’ve got a real chance of shifting that last 2 kg to meet my original target.

If anyone is interested in my weight loss diary please let me know and a post a list here. It’s quite interesting, with weight gain, stagnation and losses, big and small along the way.

Or if anyone has specific questions I’m more than happy to respond. I’ve found it really powerful being able to read others experiences here and compare them to my own feelings/findings along the way.

Anyway, fingers crossed for the next 10 days and 2 more Kilos to shed(for now). I’m off for another cup of tea .

Thanks for reading

Have confidence. If you do it , it will work….well it has for me.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Well done Borg7x9, you’ve done extremely well👏👏👏👏👏

The food you’ve chosen mostly sounds great and if it works for you, then keep going, but just in case the weight loss slows, be aware that cashews are incredibly high in carbs and walnuts or macadamias may be a better option.

What country are you in?
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Borg7x9
    on

Thanks for the encouragement Linda. I’m in New Zealand.

My weight loss has been fairly consistent over a period of about a week. I find that if my weight loss hasn’t moved for a couple of days, if I do a day of 800 ish calories followed by a day of fasting I drop a chunk and then I’m back to consistent ish loss.

I’ve found the thing is to trust the system….. over the long term it must work. I mean you are using more than 800 cal a day , and it must come from somewhere.

My emergency plan is to start training if I hit a big plateau. I used to train a great deal in my distant pass but I’ve managed this loss without exercising. I’m scared to introduce it in case something changes !!!

Thanks again :-).

• posted by Gattina
    on

Well done Borg – that’s a really great achievement. Keep going for the last push.

• posted by Borg7x9
    on

Thanks Gattina, dropped to 111.2 kg this morning, so only 1.2 to lose in 9 days now.
    If I’m careful maybe I can lose 20kg by the end of phase 1 which would mean 3.2 to lose in 9 days. Sounds like a lot but you never know. I won’t be disheartened if I don’t do the extras. Reaching my original target for phase 1 will feel fantastic…… not long to go now. 😊.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

wow Borg that is a good diet – 111.2 kilos 🙂

• posted by Borg7x9
    on

Thanks S.G. . I was surprised it jumped down so much. It went 112.4, 112.7, 111.2.
    I jumped on and off the scales 3 times to make sure. Just a couple of eggs and some tuna for me today, so hopefully I can get into the 110s tomorrow.

Looking forward to the next 10k now.

Thanks for

• posted by Borg7x9
    on

Hi all here is my Final update for round 1.
    Total loss over 8 weeks is 17.6 kilos.

I’m amazingly happy with this result even though I wanted to get to 110kg in this round. It was my birthday yesterday so I pigged out ( beer and curry ), but I’m back into it today and my first weigh in of round 2 will be tomorrow morning. I’m hoping to shed 11.2 this eight weeks to get me down to 100kg. It’ll be about 15 years since I’ve been at that weight. It seems totally achievable right now. Can’t wait !!!!! We can all do it using this diet…..it’s fabulous.

Thanks all !!! ☺️

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Borg7x9 – that’s a brilliant result. I can hear how thrilled you are and quite right too. Big congratulations and best wishes for Round 2. Let us know how you go on.

• posted by Wannabeslim
    on

Well done Borg brilliant perseverance!

• posted by Borg7x9
    on

Thanks guys for your kind words of encouragement. Day 1 and 2 of round 2 have been fairly straight forward and I have easily stuck to <600 a day. I’m going to try something different this time and only weigh weekly as I don’t think I need to see the daily result to motivate me now that I know it works.

It’ll be interesting to see if my weight loss continues. I’m expecting a slow down but 8 weeks will be over before I know it and I’m very much looking forward to seeing the results again.

Thanks again.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve been overweight pretty much all my life. I have an under active thyroid (for which I take medication, so that’s not the reason) but am otherwise healthy. I did the BSD from January 1st this year and got down to just inside the healthy weight range for my height after ten weeks. That was despite having a few small lapses. I walked every day, averaging at least 10,000 steps, which perhaps made up for the biscuit related incidents!

Since then, I’ve stopped weighing stuff and counting calories, but stuck pretty much to the principles of the diet. For me, the most important things have been to avoid processed, refined carb dense foods, and to cook almost everything from scratch using healthy ingredients. I eat as much as I like at each meal and have wine too (but no beer, drinks with mixers, liquers etc and I try not to eat anything beyween meals) and walk at least 5 miles most days. Since mid March I’ve lost two more pounds. I’m still at the top end of the healthy weight range, so that’s a good thing.

The reason I’m posting now is that yesterday we were in a different supermarket than usual and ended up in the bakery section (I’ve been avoiding it, so as not to test my willpower!). I looked at all those sweet, doughy items and simply didn’t fancy any of them. Admittedly it wasn’t a great selection, and I wasn’t hungry at the time, but six months ago I’d definitely have bought something and eaten it the moment I got home. For me that’s the real success – I’ve learned to prefer a healthier diet and lifestyle.

• posted by Donnal
    on

I started the BSD on 15 February 2018. I’ve found it difficult to motivate myself to lose weight but following a recent ‘Healthy heart check’ at my GP surgery, my raised blood pressure was such a concern that I had to have a 24 hour monitor. I am so pleased to say that at the end of 12 weeks I have lost 18.7kgs, I have started an exercise routine, I have more energy, I feel happier, healthier and my self esteem and self confidence increases with each and every kg lost. My waist has returned and I’m more motivated than ever to reach my goal weight and BMI. I still have a long way to go but losing weight with speed and ease has made me more determined because I can see and feel the benefits. The recipes are delicious and satisfying and I know that what seemed like an insurmountable weight loss is now achievable and can be maintained with this lifestyle change.

• posted by caronl
    on

Donnal Many many congratulations and thank you for sharing your success. It is always lovely to hear how this way of eating is transforming lives. I hope the next blood pressure readings reward your commitment! Best wishes for continued success.

• posted by markf
    on

Hi,
    I finished the 8 weeks last Friday. I lost 66lb (30 kg) and my Hba1c fell from 51 to 39. I occasionally felt a bit light headed and towards the end had minor constipation a couple of times. Nothing more than that.
    I no longer snore and sleep like a baby. All the ‘arthritic’ pains I was having in my ankles, knees and hips have gone. I feel tremendous and 15 years younger.
    One other side effect: I had given up the booze because it used up too many precious calories. Last Friday night I had a bit of a celebration. On Saturday I had the first hangover that I’ve had in many years. BTW, I never really thought about having a drink during the 8 weeks but I had cravings for bread.

I am still overweight. I have a busy period ahead of me so I am going to eat sensibly during that time and then start this diet a second time, probably in August. This is an amazing phenomenon. The conventional wisdom would have had me taking medication for the rest of my life. Totally unnecessary.

Two bits of advice for new starts. First, plan your meals. Easily done with the associated recipe book. Then do not buy anything that is not required for those meals. The number of times I went mooching in the cupboards and came away empty handed! I have my wonderful wife to thank for that. She planned and shopped for all meals and was scrupulous about ‘goodies’. She even did the diet with me!
    Secondly, COMMIT! Don’t just think about giving it a go. Don’t stick a toe in the water. Decide that you are going to do it knowing that you are going to finish it. Don’t be put off by that dreadful programme on ITV last week. People emoting all over the place and crying and saying that it was the hardest thing they have ever done. It really is not that hard!

Good luck!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

wow markf, what a fantastic result, keep going.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Well done Mark, that is absolutely amazing! Congratulations 😊

• posted by alliecat
    on

The heartiest and sincerest of CONGRATULATIONS, Markf! You may be a record breaker, and you
    went about it all without a lot of moaning and fanfare. Much respect! Thank you for sharing your
    story today.

Allie

• posted by markf
    on

Thank you sunshine-girl, MaggieBath and alliecat,
    There is something that I would like to ask and I can’t seem to find the correct forum. Forgive me if it is inappropriate here.

I went to see my GP to get his take on my weight loss. The good thing was that my BP has also come down to 108/70.
    The not so good thing is that he asserted that I am still diabetic. He was effusive in his praise about my Hba1c coming down to 39 (which he acknowledged is below the pre-diabetic range) and he was very pleased that I had lost 66lbs. But yet I am still diabetic.

I have been trying to work out what he means by this but I am finding it a puzzle. Does he mean something like once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic? In the sense that one drink will never be enough. I don’t think it’s an accurate parallel.

I did what I always do in such circumstances and that is try and introduce a bit of levity while I had a think. So I suggested in a light hearted way that he was of the orthodox school of thought rather than a convert of the great Mike Mosely. It was not a conversation that he wanted to have.

In a way it doesn’t matter. But if the circumstances were slightly different it might matter. Making a declaration to get certain types of insurance for example.

So, the question is, am I still diabetic in some sense?

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi markf,

Massive congratulations on the weight loss and getting your Hba1c result back down into the normal range – that’s really brilliant news. I achieved something similar – was diagnosed last August and my 2 HbA1c results since have been 35 and 36. (Benefits for me also include no arthritic knees and hips and lower BP – great feeling, isn’t it.). The practice nurse was shocked – so much so, initially, that I had to reassure her that I was OK. There’s been no discussion about no longer being diabetic.

I think within the NHS it’s still such early days in terms of thinking that Type II Diabetes may not be the long-term chronic condition it’s been described as, and you, I and others on here will still be outliers from the norm of a GP’s patients. (Let’s hope we’ll be like the majority some day soon – I am genuinely hopeful about that). So, I suspect your results will be beyond his current experience. Also, if we went back to eating as we previously did no doubt our diabetes would return. So are we no longer diabetic, or just ‘in remission’?

At my 2nd diabetes review meeting in March the practice nurse emphasised that my blood sugars were good ‘for now’. Well, ‘for now’ is good enough for me, and there are some great exemplars on here and elsewhere – people whose HbA1c results (or similar) have stayed in the normal range for years. One woman on another forum had stayed healthy and ‘in remission’ for over 20 years following a low carb style of eating. Isn’t that fantastic and aren’t we the lucky ones!!

Btw, for another angle which had never occurred to me, I also visit diabetes.co.uk and read their forum threads (big advocates of low carb on there). This discussion comes up from time to time. There have been a few questions from people wanting to come off the diabetes register or who’ve had ‘diabetes resolved’ placed on their records. A message that comes across quite strongly from some of the more experienced forumites is that this may not necessarily be a good thing as you may no longer have access to the annual health checks (feet, eyes, etc). Some people have found it unsettling to have monitoring checks just stopped.

Again, huge congratulations – and also a big cheer for your wife – sounds as if she’s been brilliant, too.

Marie

Edited: One thing that’s just occurred to me is that my initial Hba1c result was very high which I’ve taken as an indication I’d been T2 for quite a long time while at 51 your initial hba1c result was just within the diabetes range. I wonder if that makes a difference in terms of you being more likely to be classed as being non-diabetic at some point? – sorry just musing now, really. xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi there, Mark. Inspite of doubling my weight over a 17 year period, I’ve never been diabetic, so
    I have no experience dealing with GP’s that are skeptical of your long term prospects. I was hoping
    that Marie, Veriano or Krysia would spot your post, and would be along to share their experiences
    on putting diabetes into remission. And here the lovely Marie is! I’m curious about how you plan
    to manage your diet until you resume the Fast800 in August? Many of us have just continued along
    until all the excess weight is gone and we’re at goal. Your wife sounds like quite the lady 🙂

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Mark
    Congratulations – you have done brilliantly. I absolutely agree with everything Marie has said in her excellent post. Like Marie my initial Hba1c was very high so feel it is very useful to
    be classed as ‘in remission’ as it means I am still being monitored.

I also agree that if we went back to eating as we previously did no doubt our diabetes would return. So are we no longer diabetic, or just ‘in remission’? A very interesting question.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi all – my big target when I came here was to sort out my blood pressure. It has been through the roof for quite a few years and even when I got down to 140lbs, in the healthy weight range, about 5 years ago it was still at best 140/90 with medication.
    This morning I measured it and it was 112/70 – I ditched the medications long ago, which was a very happy moment. I’m down to 136lbs and at last it would seem I’m tackling the visceral fat. I put that down to fasting which targets visceral fat.
    On a vanity note, I ran into my neighbour yesterday and he said You’re tiny! Which was a moment to frame and put on the wall 😃
    Maggie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maggie
    Brilliant blood pressure reading – especially as you have ditched the meds long ago.
    I’m also finding the fasting is tackling the visceral fat.

What a lovely comment from your neighbour – definitely a moment to frame and put on the wall!!!

• posted by DFN147
    on

Started the BSD on Monday having reached a plateau on the 5:2 diet. Last april i weighed in at 16 stone 4! Which at a smidge over 5’10” and soon to be 40 isn’t great. The 5:2 diet got me down to around 14 stone over the course of a year but i’ve been stuck there for the last 4 or so months. So figured time to try something else, Monday morning i weighed 14 st 2, stepped on the scales this morning 13 st 9, The lightest I’ve been since I was 30! Aiming to get down to around the 12 st 10 I weighed at 25, pretty confident this approach and the Mediterranean diet will get me there and keep me there. Day 3 was a struggle, was odd, felt almost drunk for a chunk of the day, but other wise been ok, even managed my normal 5:2 600 calorie fasting day on Thursday, in fact maybe been use to the hunger on the fasting days has made it easier to cope with.

• posted by Violinist
    on

AMGsyd,
    Thank you so very much for your link to the wonderful spreadsheets and comments and especially the detailed menus!!! I am surprised to see that you went low fat and avoided red meat. Can you comment on especially why low fat? (fyi- I spent 1973 as an exchange student attending Monte Sant Angelo highschool and lived in Northbridge)

Also, congratulations to all of you for your wonderful accomplishments!!!

• posted by Midfielder
    on

My journey has been highly successful but with its own drama.
    What I can say it has changed my life and my plan is to extent the diet by an additional two weeks to Christmas. After the new year to get back into the diet for a couple of weeks and then move to say 1,000 cals until I reach my target weight.
    My biggest fear is when finished, will I fall into old habits.
    As I mentioned, while my journey has been wildly successful it’s not been without hhhhhmmm aarrrrggg looking for the right words lets say drama. Most posts I have read have talked how successful they have been, but with little mention of the trails and challenges.
    For those out their that are struggling hopefully these [say my] posts over the next week or so, can help in some way and offer some hope, support, advise for those struggling.
    As I said my outcomes has been unbelievable, key metrics male 64, height 167 cm, weight was 103Kg, 36.9 BMI. Result after the eight weeks, weight 85Kg, 30.5 BMI, and only about 1.5Kgs off being obsess, and simply overweight. My new target weight is 74Kgs hopefully by late Feb early Mar.
    I was pre-Diabetic, my blood sugars are today totally normal taken off meds. Energy levels through the roof and sleeping better.
    As I posted my outcomes have been widely successful, so much so, my GP has purchases a copy of the BSD book and has advised others in the practice of my success.
    However for me it has not been easy, the main issues for me where, hunger, found drinking the water requirements near impossible, preparation, counting and getting the balance right over each day. How I overcame these I will share in a post in the next few days and then post how my extended new objective i.e. to get to 74Kgs by late Feb goes.
    For now I am still in the after glow of the success re the meds, and will get tested early in the new year so I won’t have sleep apnea nor the need to sleep with one of those masks blowing air into you… finally fit back into some of my old clothes.
    Massive thanks to those before me and Dr M, for starting the whole thing off and doing the research.

Please log in or register to post a reply.