Would you like to share your success story?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Notonmybelly
    on

I wanted to write this down on here.
    I am not diabetic, but I was overweight and SW had failed to change that. I had been ill for a while, and asthma that was barely controlled spiraled, I was diagnosed with a fungal lung infection and that meant antibiotics and steroids, biopsies and feeling unwell by the end of the long treatment plan I just wanted to curl up, but I knew if I did that I would be old at 38.
    I started this journey at 108 kilos at the end of October and my goal was to reach 95 kilos by Christmas
    I came close (I lost and found the same kilo several times) and weighed in at 96.4 kilos on the 23rd, I did a mix of the mediteranian plan and 800 days, and when I fell off the wagon I did 24 hour fasts, I do need to up my exercise now and for the first time in years my chest feels enough in control for me to have the confidence to do that.
    What I wanted to share was the success of this diet, not just in kilos dropped but in terms of energy- I have a lot more now, asthma my symptoms are more manageable than they have ever been since I was a teenager (and that is the diet not the weight, I was a size 8 chronic asthmatic and steroids are what pushed me up the weight mountain, mixed with a fungal chest infection the last 2 years in particular have been hard) I feel I get a lot less annoyed.
    I did jump off the wagon for a few days over Christmas because I thought I wanted to enjoy it, but my asthma brittle flare ups returned really quickly (which has been helpful in identifying triggers) and my attitude took a tumble.

I think and hope this is just me from now on. That I will get back down to a healthy weight and I will eat in a very different way. We aren’t a traditionally unhealthy family, but there was lots of carbs in our food- pasta bread rice potatoes. My son has started to notice that I am eating differently to them but I say it is just because of my allergies
    I discovered a while ago I have an allergy to wheat, I had never known that before- I knew lots of external triggers but had never been tested for wheat, and it was a trigger for my asthma and my eczema but I was so used to having symptoms my avoidance was patchy. Following this diet I can see more clearly what causes flare ups-and friends I haven’t seen since the summer have noticed the difference in my breathing- just my breathing.

I know it is the blood sugar diet- but really it is a diet that so many people could try to see if it helps with weight, allergies and even other health conditions. This is my story, it wont apply to everyone, but if someone wanted to try this diet who wasn’t diabetic I would say don’t be put off by the title!

• posted by Clouds66
    on

Hello
    I started the BSD at the end of September after coming home from a girls holiday at centre parcs and feeling thoroughly fed up with myself . I read the book and cut out potatoes , pasta rice and bread . I had porridge for breakfast most days and full fat yoghurt with fruit or a salad for lunch . Evening meals were basically the same as what I would normally eat for example chilli , spag bol ,curry , fahitas , steak ,gammon or salad . Just switched the carbs for extra veg or salad . I found it really easy my sugar cravings have vanished and my fasting sugar levels have improved . I was probably pre -diabetic as my fasting sugar was often over 7 , its now usually 5. I bought a copy of the book for my mum who is a type 2 diabetic on insulin – shes doing great too her HBac 1 has come down significantly and shes lost some weight too . Im a community pharmacist and have many customers who are diabetic I have challenged a couple of them to try the diet . One who was due to start insulin at the end of November is now following the diet and will not need insulin anymore he is losing weight and his sugar control has improved dramatically .My husband started the diet when I did and has lost 2 stone !!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Notonmybelly, that is one heck of a story. So glad it has worked out well for you. Lots of the things you say resonate with me too. Like lots of people, I’ve not stuck on the straight and narrow in recent days. Not easy at this time of year. But I’m really looking forward to getting back on the wagon – maybe not the 800 calories but certainly the general principles – because like you, I feel so well on this diet. I too am not diabetic.
    Clouds66, what an amazing inspiration you are to others. Potentially a life saver.
    Hope you both have a great 2017.

• posted by nanamandy
    on

Hi, i am a 52 year old Australian woman. I came across the BSD diet on a program on television where they put three people on different diets. The guy who did the BSD seemed to have the most success. So I began to research and the data seemed to make sense. I am only 5foot 5inches (165cm) tall and I was 97 kg, this put me in the obese category. Blood pressure was good and I had not been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. However, I was unfit, unhealthy and not happy. I also design and make clothing and it was depressing not being able to wear nice things. I also have 5 grand children and I want to be fit enough to run around with them. So on September 6th 2016 I began the fast 800. I have a fit bit so I log my food on the site. I am careful to make sure that I get enough protein and a variety of fruit and veg. Most breakfasts consist of my own smoothie of strawberries, blueberries (or half a banana) psyllium husk and chia seeds with almond milk. (I am lactose intolerant). This keeps me regular. My favourite lunches are the maxi platter and no carb ploughman lunch. However, I also have a variety of homemade soups and salads. A standby on busy days is tuna and beans that you buy in the can. Dinner is what I would normally cook, just portion controlled and pasta and rice are replaced with cauliflower rice or spirilised zucchini. I enjoy curries, spaghetti Bolognese, I also eat baked chicken breasts with vegetables and fish with vegetables. I do a great prawn stir fry. If I have had a higher than normal calorie/carb lunch I will have eggs for dinner. I have tried to keep carbs to 50g or less. Some days I am a little over and others I am well under so it all works out. When I eat out I just ask for no potatoes or chips. I even order curries without the rice. I find this diet very easy. I do like my dark chocolate and will have 1 or 2 squares after dinner most nights. (I now find milk chocolate too sweet)
    I have set my Fitbit at 12000 steps which I reach each day. Most days I get over 15000 steps. I use the ‘Walk Away the Pounds’ DVDs for cardio and I work out every second day with hand weights.
    I have lost steadily over the last 16 weeks and now weigh in at 75.4 kg my first goal weight.Thats over 22 kg losses so far. I am still in the overweight range of BMI. My next goal is 70kg which will have me at a healthy BMI. Eventually I would like to reach 64 kg which will put me in the middle of a healthy BMI.
    This has been the easiest and my most successful diet yet and I know that it will be my way life. i would like to thank Dr Mosley. Tis has been a godsend. I am the lightest I have been in years.Thank you.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Nanamandy,
    Go girl, what a champion👏👏👏👏👏
    Keep it up, you will achieve your goal, way to go!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Janeyjune
    on

HI Nanamandy, I am starting tomorrow and have prepped lots of dishes made from the receipes on this site. Not all give the nr of carbs and I like you are wanting to stay below 50g a day. I am aiming for at least 8kg in 8 weeks,,hope its possible. It looks as though you have done really well so far.. so inspiring. I am a bit worried about reaching my 10 000 a day steps as it is full on winter here with lots of snow. I will however be going to the gym a few times a week.. grateful for any tips you have,..thanks

• posted by Isse
    on

Hi Isse here. Have never posted anything but love to read all the stories
    Have been on the diet for 3 weeks and a bit. Have lost 3.6 kg I’m happy with that. Can’t wait for weigh in on Tuesday

• posted by Mumbles
    on

I could not control my blood glucose with meds after being diagnosed in mid 2016. Luckily, before being put on insulin,I was given The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley. I’ve taken my levels from consistently in the teens and twenties to the acceptable range for people with type two diabetes and I’ve lost 12 kg.

And I’m only half way through and I have only applied a 1200 calorie a day diet as I couldn’t manage the recommended 800 a day!. I am also exercising much more than suggested – for mental health reason – so maybe that explains why I need a bit more fuel. But if you told me I could do even 1200 a few weeks ago I I would never have believed you! Perhaps it will take me longer to really eliminate my diabetes but I’m in this for the long game!

I know Khis won’t work for everyone but I’m just a normal guy so maybe it is a lesson to share this story with anyone who needs to know. Even those who don’t follow the program religiously will find the book is a great resource to understand better what is happening to our bodies and how you can take control of your own health and well being.

Meanwhile I’m off for a bike ride!

Awesome!

Edit (in 4 minutes)

• posted by Davidh
    on

End of week 8 and 2 stones lost. I couldn’t be more delighted and also grateful to the inspiration throughout this site. Some important personal lessons learnt which I’ll take forwards.

• posted by xKimL2017x
    on

Gosh that’s fantastic!
    I’m only on day three but not in the least hungry and know this healthy eating is for life.

Well Done! 🙂

• posted by nottiredanymore
    on

I was pointed in the direction of this diet by my sister, not because I am diabetic but I was looking for a possible way to investigate the information in a biology journal article that I had read about ME/CFS. I have lived with mild ME/CFS for 2 1/2 years and only 6 weeks ago I was in the depths of a bad relapse, crying every day, struggling to get up in the morning, almost daily migraines and pain levels as bad, if not worse, than they have been at any point since October 2014. I started following this diet on 3rd April and within a week was feeling human again. 1 month down the line and I have been pain free in all that time, bounce out of bed in the morning ready to take on the day, am enjoying walking the dogs again and have so much more energy. The weight loss that I have seen has been a bonus (don’t know what I weighed when I started and don’t know what I weigh now but people can see the change). My skin looks better. I am sleeping better. Not once have i felt any hunger pangs. Migraines have stopped. A cough that I have had for nearly 6 months has cleared. I could go on!
    The initial article I had read was looking at a possible link between ME/CFS and a lowered ability to break down and utilise carbohydrates. To be honest, I was hoping to see a bit of an improvement in how I felt, but expected little more. I cannot believe how I am now feeling, nor can my GP! I don’t know if this improvement will be long term and I accept that I will almost definitely have to reintroduce starchy carbs at some point to see if it has any detrimental effect. But in the meantime, I am stupidly happy to have found this diet.

• posted by pod
    on

Nottiredanymore, well done you, lovely to hear that your ME symptoms have improved.
    I have ME, and have had it for 15 years. I have just started, 9th week in and have seen some improvement..
    But as I have improved and relapsed so many times in the past I’m waiting a while to see if it’s sustainable!!!
    I will certainly carry on with the BSD way or eating, it makes so much sense.
    Keep happy happy happy xx
    Ann

• posted by M1ke1
    on

One week in and lost nearly three kilos but more importantly fasting blood down from 9.0 to 6.8.

Feeling a bit headachey. Need to drink more water I think.

Been T2 for seven years and hba1c wobbles around but last reading up at 7.5.

Can’t wait to get a new reading at the end of the diet.

And it was my doctor who recommended this. She has a number or clients on it including her hubby.

Mike from Oz.

• posted by M1ke1
    on

Thanks Linda.

Reminded me that I have Mg supplement somewhere so shall consider that.

Adelaide BTW.

Mike from Oz

• posted by M1ke1
    on

End of second week on 800 program.

Still only 3 kg lighter.

But fasting bloods gone from 9 to 5.0!!!!

Mike from Oz

• posted by sandrainc
    on

thanks for letting me know what your FBS came down to. im encouraged

• posted by Michele62
    on

I am doing the happy dance. 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻I finally made it to my goal. I have lost 14% of my body weight and am now a healthy BMI of 21. It has taken me 3 and a half months of a pretty dedicated approach but it has been worth it. I have not been this weight for at least 15 years and I am doing the Coast to Coast walk in England in a month and this should mean it might actually be enjoyable rather than an hideous endurance test. I am so pleased and proud of myself.

I am going to try and lose another 4 kgs so I have some wriggle room so I am still on the journey. I could not have done it without the support of this forum. I hope everyone else is carrying on, one day at a time.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hey Michele62
    Way to go, high five!👏👏👏🤚🤚🤚
    It’s a great feeling isn’t it!
    Now for maintenance.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, Michele – fantastic, doing the happy dance for you too.

I’m on day 10 of maintenance so we can learn to maintain together 😛

• posted by Michele62
    on

Thanks LindaA, it is a marvellous feeling. I am very nervous about maintenance. Especially as I am going to Europe for 3 and 1/2 months on the 3rd June. No access to scales and at the mercy of the places we end up on the walk. Still, I will enjoy the challenge. (If I say that enough times I will really believe it).

• posted by LindaA
    on

Now that I’ve been maintaining since September last year, I can offer the following advise that has worked for me:
    Don’t eat any sugar
    Don’t eat any grains
    Dont eat any processed food

If you follow those 3 rules and don’t submit to ‘treats’ because ‘you deserve it’, you will never slide back to the way you were.

The minute you tell yourself that ‘just one won’t hurt’, the carb monster will take hold again. It sounds tough, but I’ve found that this works for me as I tend to be an ‘all or nothing’ person.

I’m going to Africa for 5 weeks in July and intend to continue doing this. I’ve learnt that if there isn’t food available that I can eat, then I fast, but there is generally something that I can eat.

Have a wonderful time in Europe – it will work for you if you really want it to.😀

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

LindaA – those are exactly the rules that I follow – and they really work for me.
    I can’t afford to tell myself that ‘just one won’t hurt’ because that’s exactly what I did after every successful diet since 1967 with disastrous consequences.

This is my very last chance because diabetes has wrecked havoc on my body and I need to stay on a healthy way of eating to undo the damage. This is now the start of month 6 of maintenance and I am beginning to feel that this time I am really going to succeed long term.

• posted by azaro12
    on

I completed by 56th day yesterday of the BSD. I am so happy with the result. I am a seventy year old man with blood sugar levels drifting into the 6.5 – 6.9 mmol/L level and my doctor put me on Metformin so I decided to give it a try.
    For the whole eight weeks I had a daily average calorie intake of 723.1. I did not eat any bad carbs at all and frankly enjoyed my new foods and never felt hunger pangs. I also walked four miles every other day including two very steep hills.
    I just got a full blood work up panel back from my doc and I did not have one analyte outside the normal range – this has not happened in twenty years! So I am very happy but looking forward to getting back to some controlled normal routine. That glass of wine tonight is going to taste so good. Thank you!
    My results in metric units

Start Goal Actual
    Pre-/Metformin Post-Metformin Change
    Height (cms) 183.52 183.52 183.52 0.0 0.0%
    Waist (Breathing Out) (cms) 111.76 91.44 93.98 17.8 15.9%
    Weight (kgs) 95.53 81.19 78.93 16.6 17.4%
    BMI 28.3 24.1 23.4 4. 9 17.3%
    Fasting Blood Sugar (mmol/L) 6.4 5.5 4.6 1.8 28.1%
    HBA1c (%) 6.2 5.1 5.4 0.8 12.9%

• posted by Michele62
    on

LindaA, thank you for your tips on maintenance. I will try and follow them. I especially like the idea that if you can’t find BSD suitable food you just fast. I think for me it has been really useful to realise that being hungry is bearable. For the whole time on this program I have been hungry for a couple of hours before lunch and dinner, with a few exceptions. And I’ve coped and it’s become less and less of an issue.

KrysiaD- thank for the endorsement of LindaA’s rules.

Azaro12 a what fabulous results! You sound incredibly disciplined. I hope you enjoy that glass of wine.

• posted by azaro12
    on

Michele62 thanks! Yes, if I decide to do something I get almost obsessional about completing and sticking to the regimen to the bitter end but it is still nice when it works. That glass (two) of wine was really nice and I felt good this morning and walked my route early! As I live in the Caribbean my next hurdle is negotiating that fabulous ice cold beer when it is hot on a Friday afternoon!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Azaro, well done on your fantastic results.

I’m a bit like you, in that once I start something I become a bit obsessional too! Which is why I’m a bit worried now that I have started maintenance because, after 112 days of being in complete control, I have to release my grip a little, which I find much more difficult (I’ve been on maintenance for 9 days, have increased my carbs and cals, but obviously not enough as I have still managed to lose another 2lbs, so will have to try harder to let go!)

As far as your “next hurdle” is concerned, that is a problem I could happily live with 😜😋😛 Let me know if you fancy a house swap?😜

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Well done Sandrainc! Amazing result for 1 week. Best of luck for the rest of the 8 weeks 🙂

• posted by Ali below 6mmol
    on

I sent an email. I have lost 6kg, and turned 7.2mmol to just below 6mmol in 7 weeks by not eating carbs, and walking home up a steep hill for 20 minutes.

I have changed my life permanently from the diet, and will remain on it as I don’t need to eat any more than about 900 calories. My GP is astounded.

thanks all – i nearly had Type 2 diabetes!

• posted by Leilah
    on

I just started the diet this week and lost one kilo! This is unbelievable for me. I have a thyroid issue and have not lost such a large amount of weight in many years. I am 45. I’m so excited to get stuck into the other 7 weeks of the 8 week diet and change my eating habits and life forever. This has to be the easiest diet I have ever been on.

• posted by Foxoir
    on

Bloke with starting weight of 260Ibs (118Kg), 5ft 11in
    After 10 weeks have lost 30Ibs (13.6Kg) but had a weekend off after 8 weeks and put 4 Ibs back on.
    Took me around 1 week to get back on track.
    Just added fast exercise to my daily routine (exercise bike 2 mins warm up slow, 20 seconds flat out, 2 mins slow, 20 seconds flat out, 2 mins slow cool down – total 6 mins 40 seconds).
    BMI has dropped from 36.2 to 32, target is 27.

Will post again in a few more weeks.

• posted by Phil3301
    on

I started this journey 24 days ago. As of today I have lost 18 lbs and 1.5 inches from around my belly. My fasting blood sugar has dropped an average of 100 points. I have gone from sleeping 1 to 1.5 hours at a time without waking, to a good, solid 5 to 6 hours straight. In the past 3 weeks I have had 1 episode of A-fib/tachycardia, whereas I usually have 3 to 4 episodes per week. I’m feeling better than I have in the past 5 years. This lifestyle change can take a little time to get used to and to clear some hurdles in the beginning, but it is SO worth it. I’ve had a few days here and there where I struggled (and failed) to stay on course. But this time, instead of getting discouraged and beating myself up, I just let it go and promise myself to do better tomorrow. Just wanted to share in case there are those who are struggling, discouraged, and wondering if it is worth it. Don’t give up! Every day is a NEW day!

• posted by amyds
    on

Hi All,
    Congratulations to everyone with success and thank you for sharing. I am just now on day 14, 2 weeks in on the BSD. I have had Type 2 since 2014. My A1c was about 6.5 a few months ago last tested, my doctor was happy, I wanted it to be lower.
    so far after 2 weeks on diet
    – (850-950) calories a day. I just can’t get as low as 800. I am too hungry
    – Blood sugar reading is down about 30 points (fasting is now 95-105) was 130-145 range
    – Lost 6 lbs
    – Lost 2 inches in my waist
    Tripled my veggie intake daily: more kale, spinach, cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli. More salads.
    I do have a little dark chocolate every other day (very little) and also 4oz red wine 3-4x a week.
    – walk 1-2 miles a day, stationary bike 1-2 miles a day, shadow box for 5-10min a day. I have 2 bad knees from old sports injuries years ago so I am somewhat limited. Can’t run or do high impact stuff.
    After one week I did get pretty tired and cranky and had some headaches, but that has passed. Also increased water.
    – I’ll post again after the 8 weeks to show my results. Good luck to everyone. I wish you all the best!
    Amy

• posted by Foxoir
    on

After 17 weeks have now lost 43Ibs (19.5Kg) had another weekend off after 13 weeks and again put 3 Ibs back on.
    Fast exercise has helped enormously.
    BMI is now 30.2
    Feel fantastic and need to buy new clothes.

• posted by Docker
    on

Hi All, I am living on Australia’s East coast, Male, 58 with a history of Diabetes in my family.
    I have been an avid follower of Michael M’s documentary series and have now started the BSD. I started on the 22nd Aug after jumping on the scales (which I had avoided for a long time) and staring down at a whopping figure of 123.5Kg. With a height of 170cms this means my BMI was 42.7 !! Since I stopped actively chasing balls around a paddock (Football, Cricket & Basketball) I have struggled to maintain my weight.
    To date I have lost nearly 13 Kilos, down to 110.7Kg and feel fantastic with the choice I have made to start the BSD. I have a long term goal to get to a weight around 80 but I don’t know how realistic this is, as even at my very fittest (at age 23) I weighed 77Kgs. I also want to adopt the 5:2 eating lifestyle long term.
    Hope to share more success with you as I go.
    Cheers
    Docker

• posted by Marsie
    on

From a west coast Aus, just wanted to say, goodonyou:) You are doing so well, keep going the way you are. Pop in on any thread that takes your interest if you feel like it.

• posted by ChilliWhizz
    on

Hi, my name is Richard, I’m 65 years old and not yet retired, although my work days have reduced significantly in the last two years. I’m also not diabetic. Apologies for a rather long post, but this my second bite at the BSD, so I have two little stories to tell..

In November last year I had my two yearly occupational medical, my BP was higher than it should have been, and I was somewhat overweight. I should say that the occupational medical exam is not undertaken by my GP. Just before I left, the Doctor wrote down the name of a book on a slip of paper and passed it to me, it was the 8 week blood sugar diet. He’d been on it himself, and spoke very highly of it. It made me smile that he’d recommended this to me rather than tell me I should look at my diet and make some lifestyle changes. I started the diet on the 3rd January this year, along with walking and cycling, and by day 15 I had lost 6.8 lbs, and my blood pressure was down (daily average) from 142/98 to 120/85. I was taking Amlodipine for my BP but I believe the diet and no alcohol were playing a major part. Then I put my back out quite badly, and dropped straight off the diet (and back on the red wine) Blood tests in April came up with total cholesterol of 5.5, and a 17.5% 10 year cvd risk… I was offered statins, but politely said no thanks..

Fast forward to the beginning of September, back wasn’t quite right and I’d badly damaged my left knee. I’d had an MRI scan on my back (degenerative disk disease plus old injuries and general wear and tear) and had been seeing a physio and an osteopath, and making big improvements. I had another MRI scan in early September for my knee which was by then very swollen and painful to walk on, which resulted in draining (although the fluid had dissipated by the time of the appointment) and a steroid injection. Which hurt. Alot.

So, drinking too much, no exercise, limited mobility, overweight, and too much cholesterol. Time to do something about it. First step would be to limit alcohol consumption, which I’m rubbish at, so I signed up to MacMillan cancer support’s Stoptober, and had my last alcoholic beverage on the 24th September (I’ve so far raised over £200 for cancer support). BSD started on Monday 25th September, and with the aid of a knee brace I’ve been going for walks and getting out on my bike (pedal bike!).

Today, October 16th I’m three weeks in, and my diet has been a (not intentional) combination of the BSD and the 5:2, having not exceeded around 900 calories on any one day. I’m getting bloods done again in a week or so, but here’s a summary of the last three weeks..
    Weight loss:
    Week 1 – 8.36 lb
    Week 2 – 4.62 lb
    Week 3 – 3.3 lb
    Total in 21 days – 16.28 lbs (and 4″ off waist measurement)

Blood pressure averaged over 7 days:
    Week 1 – 141/96
    Week 2 – 127/88
    Week 3 – 122/85
    This mornings average (three readings) 118/82

My target weight is 12 stone, with 8 lb’s to go…

The BSD, 5:2, and fasting regimes with the Med style diet are the most effective life style changes I have ever experienced, and a huge thanks goes to Michael Mosley and all those that have inspired, supported, and contributed to his work.

The biggest challenge I think is yet to come… maintaining a new lifestyle…. one step at a time!!

Sincere good luck and best wishes to all…
    Richard

• posted by Eliza52
    on

I started the BSD about 4 weeks ago (I’d already been virtually fat free for a month before that due to gall bladder problems, and lost 3/4 stone). I have now lost almost 2 stone (2lbs to go to that goal) and the best news, my fasting glucose is down from 8.4 to 4.1, with Hb1ac at 40 (from 64). So I am now in the “normal” range, not diabetic! Thrilled with the result, and determined to loose the other 2 stone I need to loose and rid my liver of excess fat!

Finding the diet so easy to stick to, and using not just the BSD book, but adapting own recipes, and others (Jamie Oliver’s five ingredients Thai fishcakes for example and cod in pancetta with lentils – what’s not to like??!). Am determined to make this a permanent change in eating habits, and keep this up for life (I’m 65 now, and hoping to spend the rest of my life being fitter and healthier than I’ve ever been).

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

When I commenced the BSD on the 1st of September 2017 I was a type 2 taking novamix 30 12 units pre breakfast and 34 units pre dinner. I weighed 104.6 kg which is in the obese category for my 170 cm height and my hbac1 in August was 7.6.
    After following the program for the last 12 weeks I am now 91.4 kg’s and last weeks hbac1 was 6.1 and I am no longer injecting insulin morning and night. I am still taking Byetta 10 mg pre breakfast and evening and Diabex 1000 with those meals. My bgl figures have tracked steadily throughout and I can’t believe the difference in my well being following this lifestyle change,
    I have dropped two trouser sizes and have had to purchase some new clothes but am very happy to do so.

I am thinking of switching to 5.2 from the first of December but may continue on the BSD path asi continue to my goal of 72 kgs. My doctor was amazed with my results when I saw him this afternoon and I plan to continue to shock him when I go for my next hbac1 in February next year.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to these forums as the support network and willingness to share the ups and downs of the journey is invaluable.

Good luck on your own individual journeys

Best wishes

Cameron
    Melbourne. Australia
    20/11/17

• posted by Marsie
    on

How well you are doing Cameron, you have my admiration for making these changes. Best wishes for your continued success.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi everyone!

I am so late to this party it’s unreal BUT I too (according to my doc) have also reversed my T2 diabetes. I am now at normal levels (Hc1a is at pre diabetic levels too -38!) and everything from blood to cholesterol is normal. Doctor says I may well have added 15-20 years to my life.

I started at just under 17 stone and after the week of carb flu we got into the habit of more exercise and doing the 8 week 800 diet. Very hard at first but with the help of My FitnessPal we managed to work out the best things to eat and keep energy up as well as make sure the protein was high and the carbs low. It was a rough start as I put in here, I got so weak I collapsed. But this turned out to be me not looking after my Iron levels, A few days of scoffing Broccoli and Kale sorted that.

Cut out Bread and Potatoes and to this day don’t miss either. ,Kept carbs to under 25G and Protein to I think about 200G. Dinner was often some meat from the butchers and a load of veg, very filling. Also Diabetic Ice Cream was a good desert, made no odds to anything (which of course is it’s point) and we also carried on drinking Coke Zero (which turns out also had no effect)

My doctor didn’t seem annoyed or surprised when I confessed that I haven’t taken a pill since Jan 2017 because I wanted to see if the diet worked and I told myself I would never know if I carried on taking the Metformin. Also I am unfortunate to be one of the few who gets constant toilet urges from taking it. So Metformin, Statins and Naproxen all stopped. In fact I asked Boots to cancel my prescription as I didn’t want to waste any more of our taxpayers money.

All I ever spent on the BSD apart from food was a few quid for the recipe book.

I am now 14:9 and feeling healthier. I walk a lot more in my job now and I feel the benefits. I don’t get any problems in my feet and my Myopathy has been clear since I had diabetes. My doctor tells me that whilst it can always return if I let it , as I sit here today Its gone and he wishes he could get me to go out and tell other diabetics how to sort themselves out and get away from pills and pain. And I wish I could too! (and I guess I sort of am!)

20 years of bad diet and lifestyle choice – reversed in 5 months. I stopped using the BSD in June and just stuck to eating what I liked in moderation. The rest has just fallen into place. All because I changed my diet and state of mind. Don’t get me wrong I still scoff the odd bad thing, but luckily it does not seem to matter.

I wish everyone the best.. and I will carry on eating what we do, enjoying what we eat!

• posted by Patriciasan
    on

Congratulations Getfit! What an inspiration your story is, thank you for sharing. I will be starting BSD on Monday the 27th. Can you share what your typical breakfast would be? I like eggs but I would rather not eat them everyday. And I do have to have my coffee….

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey PatriciaSan I can only eat eggs in moderation else I get sick of them. 100g full fat Greek yoghurt and 10g flaked almonds worked for me. Now I am used to it I don’t have breakfast

• posted by Patriciasan
    on

Jacki M that will be a great and easy alternative,
    Thank you!

• posted by pcoventry
    on

I admit I just eat 2 hard boiled eggs in the morning, – best breakfast on the go ever!

• posted by Smaus
    on

On 27th March I set myself a goal to lose 65lbs following the BSD.
    With a nice touch of serendipity on 27th November I have nudged through that goal, losing 30% of my starting weight and 3 dress sizes along the way. Frankly I am amazed.

Why do I think this has worked for me?
    1) most importantly I was in the right frame of mind, I still have no idea why the switch flipped, but I’m incredibly glad it did.
    2) I have never felt deprived, that’s not to say I haven’t missed things or been peckish, but I have eaten well and enjoyed food.
    3) It’s an eating plan that is incredibly flexible and accommodating. No one really notices or cares if you pass on the potatoes.

I am acutely conscious that this is the end of the beginning. The real test is not to fall back into previous habits and let weight creep back on but I feel as if I have a better toolkit to manage that. The main lessons I’ll be taking forward are:
    1) Higher protein breakfasts – but I will be allowing some oats back in, I have missed them!
    2) No starch with my evening meal – I have finally embraced cauliflower rice and its kin.
    3) A little bit of intermittent fasting can help mitigate eating out.
    4) Meal planning helps avoid bad accidents on the way home from work – frozen fish and chicken fillets have been a lifesaver.

If you’re on the cusp of starting for either blood sugar or weight loss reasons I’d really recommend giving this regime a go. There is masses of really helpful advice on these forums for which I’m very grateful. The only tips I’d add are:
    1) If you’re doing the Fast 800 keep an eye on your protein levels
    2) Keep wearing a smaller sized pair of trousers to keep you honest – you’ll feel good about how they get easier and comfortable clothes make me complacent!

So, ‘Bon Courage’ if you are setting out on this programme, and if you’re part way to your goals please keep the faith, you will reach them.

Smaus

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Smaus, what a WONDERFUL summary! Great advise and so well put.

And by the way…..congratulations to you. Well done!

• posted by Smaus
    on

Thank you Luvtcook! I’m so pleased to have found an alternative to the misery of low fat; I just need not to slip back into old, bad habits. Good luck with your own progress and navigating the holidays. S.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Smaus, amen to that. Low fat is death. Always hungry and deprived of anything satisfying. I will gladly trade sweets and carbs for butter but my broccoli and EV olive oil drizzled on my fish anyday.

Please log in or register to post a reply.