Would you like to share your success story?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Midfielder
    on

Repeating part of my previous post, my outcomes has been unbelievable, key metrics male 64, height 167 cm, weight was 103Kg, 36.9 BMI. Result after the eight weeks, weight 85Kg, 30.5 BMI, and only about 1.5Kgs off being obsess, and simply overweight. My new target weight is 74Kgs hopefully by late Feb early Mar.

I was pre-Diabetic; my blood sugars are today totally normal taken off meds. Energy levels through the roof and sleeping better.

As I also mentioned my journey has not been without issues and dramas, and my assumptions others maybe experience similar issues, and hopefully this may offer some ideas [accepting always its not a one size fits all].

Hunger, its difficult to explain how hungry I felt in the diet especially the first say 5 weeks. I was aching or that’s what it felt like. Nothing was working and I was staying to the diet. I read & listened extensively and Dr M, said, if you do “High Intensive Training” it helps with hunger pain. For me this worked I not only did the HIT but heaps of tummy excises. It worked and also kicked off the next phase in weight loss as I have stalled for a couple of weeks.

I struggled aside from the first say week and a half, to drink the two to three litres of water a day. My guess I only drank the required amount somewhere between 15 & 20% of the days. Never got close to three litres. I never had bathroom issues as I used lots of spices in my cooking with also lots of raw vegetable’s and that seemed to keep me regular. So I gave up trying and drunk about 1.5 litres of water a day.

The calorie count over say three meals and in-betweens I found impossible to manage for days on end. After reading Dr M’s research he said its not how often you eat or when you eat, its how much you eat. So I had many days two meals and quite a number with only one meal. The effect was for a wee while after my main meal my hunger abated.

One thing I did which I will post latter was to create my own calorie chart and became quite the expert in preparing meals I liked that fell within the 800 cals a day.

My next post I will explain what kept me on the diet despite the above.

• posted by George01
    on

After trying slimming world and WW and getting no where and been constantly told by my doctor that weight gain was an unavoidable symptom of menopause i decided to try BSD. I have 2.5 stone to lose . I started on 4th March and as of this morning 10 days later I am 10 pounds lighter . One very happy lady . My husband who is a chocoholic who never puts any weight on is also following diet but having 4 times the portion size . In a nutshell it’s working for both of us for different reasons and we both feel great . Thank you Michael you should be knighted 😀😀

• posted by Eej
    on

Just started last Monday after seeing Michael talk in Lincoln. Doing the BSD with a 17:7 fast as never liked breakfast and only started having it when told to by my doctors/nurses. Will give a proper update next Monday after the first week. Already seen a few pounds go and my blood sugar dropping. Good Luck to all out there
    Cheers
    Eej

• posted by M2019
    on

Well done on the great progress made so far Eej ! I look forward to hearing your weekly update 🙂

• posted by Eej
    on

Hi
    So after my first week I have lost 10lbs and it seems to be going from my belly. My bloods have dropped into the normal range (barring one morning after a curry). The curry was a chicken dhansak (lots of lentils) along with a brown rice that had been cooked, frozen and reheated. Not been hungry in the main. I have been snacking on walnuts or cashews when needed and kept to 800 calories a day. Eating omelettes at work and apples and nuts at home with dinner made up of a good protein/veg balance. Struggling a little with restaurants but it’s the first week so will get used to it.
    It’s been very encouraging so far, another 7 weeks to go.
    Good luck to all others
    Cheers
    Eej

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Eej
    That’s a great result. Fantastic that your blood sugars have dropped into the normal range but also with the belly fat – that was the very last place mine went from!
    Best wishes for this week. Let us know how you go.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Reported to moderators

• posted by Sarah108
    on

Hi I started on Saturday, hunger I’ve managed OK, but felt feint after a brief run yesterday and lost it today. Ate sweets and crisps but not the usual big binge so was pleased really that I did not have total loss of control and have not had supper this evening to try and compensate. Just walked this evening rather than run, and feel OK. Struggling to count calories on home made meals, but I’ll spend more time this weekend looking at a meal plan as other’s have suggested.

• posted by markf
    on

Hi Sarah108,
    What really helped me was to be systematic about things; absolutely get some sort of meal plans. Mike Mosley’s recipe book is excellent. Then, plan your meals a few days in advance and only buy what you need for those meals. If you follow the quantities specified in the recipes you will not need to worry about counting calories. Do not have sweets or crisps in the house.
    I remember in the early days of the diet, I started raiding the cupboards and freezer for anything edible. Once the 10 year old tins of sardines were gone I just didn’t replace them.
    Good luck!

• posted by Tightpants
    on

14 weeks ago I was listening to Dr Moseley speak on ABC radio Australia.
    I have long regarded his health programs with respect and keen interest, but on this occasion, at 44 years old, a single mum with hashimotos and a family history of diabetes and heart disease, my ears pricked up listening to testimonies from his audience on his Fast 800 diet.
    I was weighing in at 97kg and 5.9″ tall, was suffering joint pain, fatigue, eczema, anxiety, wheeziness, ibs and chronic inflammation.
    I needed to lose weight but diets had not worked in the past. I had no idea the havoc that processed carbs and sugar were having, as I am very health concious and thought I was eating well.

So, I started the fast 800 the next day.
    In just over 3 months, it has transformed my entire life.

In 14 weeks I have lost 2.6 stone- have eleliminated my prediabetic blood test markers, have no inflammation, or eczema, no pain, no wheezing and no ibs.
    My mood and energy levels have skyrocketed.
    I literally feel 20 years younger.
    I look younger too, as my movement is free and sprightly, I am no longer stiff and my skin is glowing.
    I have had numerous friends now take up the diet through seeing how it has transformed me.
    I eat so many more veggies, fish and healthy whole foods and I just feel amazing.
    I tried eating the way I used to for 2 days and got so sick I had to stop. I only ate 1600 calories each day but felt sluggish, and generally unwell.
    I am slowly now building back up to a higher calorie count but will stay off gluten and processed foods and sugar.
    Looking forward to going onto the 5:2 meditteranean diet once I hit my 3 stone goal.
    Thank you Michael Mosely!
    I love you and your brilliant gifts of health and wisdom !!!
    Tightpants, no more!

• posted by Geddycat
    on

Wow your story is inspiring!

• posted by Lindyloo54321
    on

My story is very similar to many on this site. I knew I was very overweight, and had tried all the usual slimming clubs. I’d lose a few pounds, gain one, lose 4lb, gain 2, etc etc. I was very unfit, the term ‘couch potato ‘ could have been invented for me. I had osteo-arthritis in both knees, so walking became increasingly difficult. I had TKR on both knees, & was SO grateful to our fantastic NHS for my ‘new knees’. I remained overweight, mostly due to my sweet tooth. Morning coffee? A piece of cake to accompany it. Lunch? A dessert afterwards. Dinner? Often another dessert, or piece of cake. I baked every week, and also ate far too much chocolate, bread, biscuits etc. So, why on earth was I SO shocked to be diagnosed with T2, in May 2019? I actually had a few tears as the nurse broke the news to me. I didn’t want to start on Metformin, with the chance I could end up on insulin injections. Told the nurse I’d lose weight, and she agreed that she’d see me again in 3 months, ie August. Initially, I couldn’t bring myself to tell my OH or children, but of course I did. My daughter went straight out and bought me June’s Top Sante magazine, but more crucially, Michael Mosley’s 8 Week BSD book. Along with my fitness tracker, & logging everything I eat, this brilliant man ( a Knighthood surely?) has turned my life around. I lost a stone in the first 2 weeks, and by the time I returned to see the nurse (Aug 19th), my blood sugar reading had dropped. A lot. No longer in the T2 category! No medication required (yay!!). Since that awful day in May, I’ve lost 3st 1lb, become MUCH fitter. I walk every day, dance, use my mini exercise bike (brilliant), started Nordic pole walking, and even roller skated, for the first time since the mid 80s. Not bad, for a 66 yr old! Best of all, I’ve no longer got a sugar addiction. Don’t even use sweetener in tea/coffee. Gave up cake. Eat healthy foods-cauliflower rice anyone? Truly, this amazing, healthy eating plan has saved me from spending the rest of my life, with the fear of the effects of T2 hanging over me. The weight loss has slowed down, but that’s fine by me. Michael Mosley, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• posted by azaro12
    on

Well done Lindyloo and welcome to the club! Doesn’t it feel good to have actually done this for yourself by yourself and come through successfully. I did it over two years ago and I am still eating healthy foods, actually enjoying them, and have a routine now that keeps me in the right weight area with normal blood sugar levels. I am 72 years old so as you have experienced, it is never too late. Yes, the book was a great help but it doesn’t make it happen – you did!

• posted by Omnipinoy
    on

Greetings to all members here on the blood sugar diet forum. I’ve been a member I think for a few years now and I’d like to share my 2nd success story. Apologies if this will be a long post.
    I have actually done the Fast 800 diet before(2 months only) back in 2016(end of July to end of September) and you all can read about it a few pages back on this topic. So fast forward a few years later, old habits came back and I’d regained the weight I’ve lost plus a bit more. I weighed in at 250lbs(I stand at 5’5) and a long list of physical and mental health problems(some I’ll mention)+. I was so depressed because looking in the mirror I didn’t like how I looked. Ate everything(processed foods and sugars, drank soft drinks daily and had coffee with cream and sugar, etc…) had frequent gout on either left or right foot(sometimes both) developed asthma and it got worse(had mild when I was a kid) couldn’t move for too long because it put a strain on my knees and hurt my ankles, lower back pain(bending down and stretching made it worse), trouble breathing and over sleeping still waking up tired, fatigue throughout the whole day as I’d need lots of caffeine to get by, always feeling hungry and whenever I had consumed a lot of food(felt like it wasn’t going down properly) my cholesterol and blood sugars were very high I was again taking medication to control the cholesterol but did not want to take anything for the blood sugar.
    I had almost felt like giving up, thinking now that I’m older(39 now)and I had become this big, maybe I can never get back to the way i was. My rude awakening came as I went on a recent trip to Calgary to visit my cousin. He owned and operated a boxing gym and i had decided to drop in on one of his classes. He had me spar against one of his novice students. Long story short, I ended up face down on the canvas in the ring. My cousin hovered over me saying(dude, you used to strong fit and healthy. What happened to you?) Then and there i realized that if I’ll continue down this road id most likely take meds for as long as I live and spend time living in a hospital not being able to enjoy a social life with my family, friends, and relatives. So, I came back to this forum. Read everything and got updated, bought the new fast 800 book. Then, with careful planning, renewed determination, conviction, research and commitment. I started the Fast 800 July 22 2019.
    So within a couple weeks i will have completed 12 weeks. I do not wanna go into detail exactly what else i did during those months. If any of you would like to know, I will be happy to share please PM me here. ANYWAYS, after I recent visit with my family doc last week, drum roll please….
    I’ve lost 100lbs(45kg = 7 Stones), am not taking any medications, and have so much energy everyday. Michael Mosleys books and information have completely changed my life. I thank him from the bottom of my heart and also wish every one of you best of luck with any of these programs(I can testify that without a doubt they all work.) Just stick to it, biohack it to make it better, have the conviction to do it. You will have doubters or others that may discourage you. And it will take time for your body to adjust. Results will vary but the end result after 8 to 12 weeks is all that counts…and of course lastly, maintaining and living a lifestyle wherein you can enjoy healthy foods in good quantity:) thank you all so much for taking the time to read this.

• posted by Omnipinoy
    on

Update – good evening all! Sorry for another post. I’m trying to edit what I had posted a few hours ago but it won’t work so I just wanted to clarify. Started dieting 3rd week of May 2019 but commenced the Fast 800 program July 22 2019. Thank you.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

That’s a wonderful achievement Omni. Did you lose the 100lb just between May 2019 and now? Wow!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Wow 45kg in 4 months?!! That’s amazing!
    I myself lost 18kg in 13 weeks and thought that was very rapid 😅
    What’s biohacking? Also what are your plans for maintenance?

• posted by Omnipinoy
    on

Good evening all! @merry. Hi! I started dieting around end of May but began the Fast 800 program July 22. Yes I was surprised myself at how fast the weight was coming off. Had so much to lose I was very very obese lol. But I kept active(lots of walking progressed to combining light to moderate weight training and practising mma) and incorporating various types of IF. @louise, Biohacking is the art and science of changing the environment around you and inside of you so that you can have full control of your own biology so in short I just added a few tweaks here and there on the program based on stuff I’ve researched. By the 22nd of this month I’ll have done 12 weeks of the program then I’ll try the carnivore diet for 3 months whilst slowly increasing my calories(50 to 100) each week until I reach a baseline of 1500 to 2000. I’ll probably stick with a keto type diet while fasting once or twice a week keeping the carbs low. As for maintenance, this will be tough…but so far having been adapted to this diet as well as keto and with the doc saying all is Good, I’m confident I can make it.:)

• posted by Nixi
    on

I’ve enjoyed reading all the success stories here. Lindy, thank you especially for yours. I’m 61 and menopausal. I’ve heard it said it’s particularly difficult to lose weight at this stage of life. I used to be slim but gradually put on weight especially during the last eight years. I suffer from some typical menopausal symptoms and feel tired a lot of the time. It gives me hope that it’s not too late for this way of eating to help me both lose weight and feel better (I haven’t started yet). Are there any more older women out there who have had similar success to Lindy who can encourage me?

on

@ Nixi. You’re very welcome. I completely ‘get’ what you’re saying. The pounds we that used to almost ‘melt’ away in our younger years, seem to take much more effort to shift in later years. I think I was very fortunate to sail through the menopause, (an immediate effect due to a much-needed ‘hystericalectomy’-which is what I like to call it! 😃) I ban the ‘D’ (diet) word from my vocabulary-prefer ‘healthy eating’. I load favourite songs onto a Spotify list (My 10,000 steps), and using Fitbit, I dance, or just move, to music. This, along with walking, helps me achieve the magic 10,000 steps per day. (I estimate that prior to my diagnosis, I often only did a few hundred). I log everything into MyFitnessPal, which is possibly the best (free) app in the world. I’m often exhausted, but no longer fight it-an afternoon nap really helps, though as you’re probably still working, not easy to achieve! PS 61 is still young-we’re in the prime of life! I intend to be around for many years yet. I wish you the very best of luck on this journey. Be kind to yourself, set small, achievable targets, and use this forum-lots of info, advice and support. Please keep posting.

• posted by Nixi
    on

Many thanks for this, Lindy. I have started today. Weighed myself this morning (took a bit of courage) – horrors! The heaviest I’ve ever been in my life. I know it’s not going to be easy especially as I want to ditch the alcohol. But I so much want to feel healthy and alive again.
    Thank you to everyone here for the encouragement of your own success stories.

• posted by Mincemeat
    on

Yes agreed. Great to read what’s on the forums.

• posted by Pauline2020
    on

Hi everyone. I bought MM book in September 2019. In jan 19 I was told I was pre diabetic with my blood test at 42. So, I went on a diet but did not really restrict my carbs. It was all calories and low fat. In September 19 my bloods came back at 45, even though I’d lost weight my health was not improving. So, after research I understood that I would need a different approach. Higher good fats, low carb and MM’s 8 week plan. Today, 18th fab 2020, my bloods are 39. No longer pre diabetic. I lost another 1.5 stone and although still a stone overweight, the results are amazing. Now continuing with the Mediterranean way of eating I undertook from the start. Thank you, thank you thank you. It has changed my life.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Pauline
    That’s a brilliant result. It’s always great to hear another success story. It’s genuinely heart lifting. I feel the same as you as it changed my life too. But, don’t forget what you’ve achieved, it’s impressive, so a very big pat on the back, congratulations, and well done that woman!!
    Jennie xx

• posted by smitchy73
    on

Hi All, I’m Bob, I’m a 46 yr old Scotsman, I’ve been T2D for about 18 months or so and I’m on metformin, also on three pills for hypertension also, my weight yesterday was 134.5kg(296.5lbs/21.5stone), started to behave myself eating and snacking but started to slide again over the last few months. I’ve done diets before, Scottish Slimmers, baked beans diet, but didn’t go for the others. I like my meat and veg, don’t have a sweet tooth but do like a slice of pie, with custard, and ice cream.
    A few weeks ago I found a book when I was going round the supermarket, “Downsizing” by Tom Watson who until very recently was an MP in the UK(for those outside the UK) this opened my eyes, I read the book over a few days and took some notes of recommendation’s for books and websites, but the 8 week BSD book looked interesting and ordered it from a certain online retailer, it arrived the next day, finished Tom’s book, and started MM’s book on Sunday evening, read for a couple of hours, went to bed and got up early on Monday morning and finished it, wow, just wow, I also had a doctors appointment booked so wanted to discuss with him before doing anything else.
    He was surprisingly open to it, he had a similar patient and it appeared to be okay for him. He wasn’t worried about it affecting my current prescriptions.
    I went shopping and started eating from the recipes, unfortunately a lot of the recipes I don’t like a lot of the things in it, but I’m a strange one in that eating similar ingredients doesn’t bother, I do like taste and have already experimented with some things from one recipe and put with another, don’t do spicy food, seems to blow my head off! LOL. Drinking lots of fluids, mostly water with a small amount of diluting juice, just changing from vimto to barley water as soon as the vimto is done, minimal sugars in it when diluted but heard the barley water is a bit healthier still, hate plain water.
    I weighed myself this morning, day two and I had already lost 2.5kg, don’t believe for one minute this will keep going, but will try to post updates, as and when I can.

• posted by Pauline2020
    on

Well done Smitchy73 and welcome. You will find lots of support here. This way of eating has changed my life and I know it will change yours. Great that your Dr is on board with the plan. Keep it up and good luck.

on

Well done Bob!! You’ve done the hardest part of this journey, and that’s taking the first step to a fitter, healthier you. I too have read Tom Watson’s book (a fiver in Tesco if anyone’s interested) – just the other day actually. As you know, Tom was inspired by MM’s book. When I first read MM’s book, I realised I had to ‘unlearn’ all I’d ever thought was true about healthy eating and weight loss.
    I would like to offer a couple of my own ideas/thoughts.
    Take a photo of yourself, face on and sideways asap (I know you’ve already lost some weight, but trust me, in a few weeks’ time, you’ll see the difference, & it’ll spur you on)
    Don’t get despondent if/when the rapid weight loss slows down. Initially, you’re losing a huge amount of water. I lost my first stone in 2 weeks. After that, the weight loss slowed down.
    This works for me – I’ve banned the ‘D’ word (diet). Over the (many) years I’ve tried to lose weight, I’ve frequently said ‘oh I’ve been SO good today’ when I’ve stuck to the ‘diet’. Of course, when I faltered, and had that slice of cake/biscuit etc I’d say ‘I’ve been SO bad/naughty today. I now refuse to set myself up for a fall, so simply tell all and sundry that I now ‘eat healthily’.
    Don’t be too hard on yourself if you eat something that isn’t QUITE on the list of BSD items. Tomorrow is another day!
    Try to substitute – eg the lemon barley dilute juice is full of the nasty white stuff. Maybe squeeze some fresh lemon to use instead. Or buy a water bottle with in-built infuser. I flavour the water by adding a few smashed up blueberries, and leave it overnight to infuse.
    I DO have a sweet tooth – that hasn’t quite changed. Rather than having pie and custard, or ice cream, I make a jelly – Hartley’s sugar free. Can’t remember exactly, but they’re either low carb or zero carb. I throw in a few blueberries or raspberries/strawberries. Served with a bit of single fresh cream, voila!
    Treat yourself when you reach a milestone. Even if it’s just a new tie! (That’ll fit you throughout your journey to good health)
    Finally, hang in there! I’m currently undergoing a bit of a wobble, having gained around 5lbs. In the past, I’d have given up. Not now. It’s a temporary blip on my journey.
    Best of luck Bob. Please keep posting.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Reported

• posted by wendleg
    on

Reported

• posted by Maeme
    on

Hello Fast 800 gang, I would like to say hi and tell you about my amazing journey so far. In under 4 weeks I’ve lost 1st on this diet and I am chuffed to bits. Regrettably, I’m a notorious yoyo dieter and this isn’t my first time on this diet either. To be fair, 2 years ago I only dipped into it for a week while I was successfully losing weight on the 5:2. I am not even going to list the orher diets I have endured in the past 22 years; if you can name it I was probably on it at one point in my life. It didn’t help that I was chubby from the get go and my parents never had education about healthy eating or such. I have ‘managed’ to stay in the overweight category most of my life however I have been obese briefly in my twenties. I have always dieted and exercised but never managed to keep the weight off, I have never felt thin and comfortable in my skin.
    But now as they are starting to lift the lockdown and I had to go back to work, I finally returned to the amazing Fast 800. This is the diet for me for sure. I lost the most weight after the first week (6 lbs) and since then it has calmed down to 2-3 lbs per week. I have (just about) survived PMS on week 2 and even though I have (spectacularly) fallen off the horse a few times I always got back on and carried on the day after.
    I find intermittent fasting easy when the weather is sunny because then my mood is also shiny and great. Unfortunately I had to make the decision to only do it at weekends from next week. On Thursday I nearly keeled over after getting a terrible head rush when crouching down with the kids in class then jumpinghigh up… Nobody noticed, phew. So I’ll have scrambled eggs for breakfast in the week to stay safe. I’ve got the book and recipe book and mostly keeping to the Mediterranean way of eating or to keto foods. Saying this, a fortnight ago when they’ve reopened the drive through at the bottom of my street, I did have a double cheeseburger and chips. That was the only meal I had that day and it lifted my soul. The children and I were jumping around in the lounge, celebrating the moment and holding onto the hope of normality returning. I do sometimes choose things that aren’t exactly keto but my emotions need them and I still stay below 800 calories for that day.
    I drink a lot of clear teas, water, black coffee and diet cokes to keep my belly full until I eat my often only meal of the day. I make sugarfree jelly for my children and find it a perfect pudding substitute for me too.
    Dr Mosley’s diets work and we can do them if we can hold onto the momentum, the positive moments and keep the right mindset. I wish I could’ve held onto the 1 st and a half weightloss on the 5:2 back in 2018, but I think I couldn’t identify myself with the thinner body I earned then. This time is different.
    I believe this time I have gathered enough experience and wisdom on dieting and also at last, at 38, I dare say I finally know myself. That is why I believe that this time I will be able to reach my dream weight (my ‘perfect’ BMI) which I have never had. I will feel confident and will hold onto the body I have created. I will get back to the heathy eating way if I have a slip up and I am not going to let this car (weight) slip down the hill again so I don’t have to push it all the way back up again. I want to start my forties with my forever body.

• posted by caronl
    on

Bump.

Please log in or register to post a reply.