'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Got married Saturday for those of you who remember me! 4 stone 2lbs lost, everyone commented on me and my parents weight loss.
    Going to have my honeymoon (all inclusive) and then start again (want to lose 2 more stone before I have babies!!)

Thank you all for keeping me going xxx

• posted by Bissell
    on

How lovely Lesley, brilliant news! You must be so proud of all you have achieved!
    Enjoy your honeymoon (!) and good luck for your future together.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Congratulations Lesley91. Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Ahhh that’s lovely Lesley – good on you and congratulations on the wedding!!

Great stuff on the loss BigP and Alan, massive welcome back on the wagon – this will be a good new week.

Week 9 and another 1.1kg gone (.1 is important:-)) – yaaaaaaayyyyy πŸ™‚ The healthy weight bracket for my height is getting nearer every day πŸ™‚ Need to still keep an eye on the dark chocolate creaping up and complacent “ah have another xxxx you’re doing well” mentality but other than that the food is delicious, am eating way more veg – this is the way forward!

Go on the BSD-ers πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great news Lesley, have a brilliant honeymoon and then come back to us, ready to start afresh.

I’m annoyed and frustrated, as I managed to mess up at the w/e and so ended my week a pound up and further away from my first stone lost. Trying to refocus, get my head down and get to that milestone by this time next week – wish me luck.

• posted by Boomer53
    on

Today is week 4 day 5. My weight continues down speedier than if I were totally fasting. Amazing. 16 pounds gone today. For me this is very fast. I am typically a 1-2 pound a week woman. My FBS still hovers between 85 and 100. So wonderful!! I am so grateful for this WOE and all the good people on this site. Downward!! Laura

• posted by pennyrua
    on

I am so glad I joined this forum – it is so inspiring to read these posts! Well done Laura, congratulations Lesley and best of luck Sunny!

I have just completed my first week and am overjoyed to have lost 9.5lb! I have tried so many times to lose weight and have really struggled, so to have that much off in a week is a miracle! I know it is mostly water and the weight loss will slow down, but it’s a great start. Have a great week everyone!x

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Congrats and well done Lesley x

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Was disappointed last Thursday as weight had stayed the same but weighed this morning (Tuesday) and down 2.5 kg – total kg loss since i started on 4th June is 15.5. I rarely go down to 800 cal – usually around 1000. I am disabled and have to have help to get on and off my exercise bike which is annoying, so only started that yesterday – hoping some exercise will help the metabolism. I don’t have increased energy levels yet but my hernia no longer troubles me and I am fitting into things that I haven’t worn in years. I have a very large amount still to lose though and expect there will be great weeks and dire ones too; just have to keep the mind focused and set myself little targets in between. My next BS test is not until September and it will be interesting to see what effect the BSD has had on that plus my cholesterol, as the GP agreed to take me off statins because of this diet.

So pleased for everyone who has lost this week; for those who haven’t had a good one, hang in there, keep reading the posts here. I also find watching programmes such as Secret Eaters and A Year to Save my Life very inspiring -they might help you stay on track too. Have a wonderful week!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Lost 1lb which is a total of 5 in 3 weeks. Slow loser but a winner in the b/g stakes as I have reduced my insulin by 8 units and diamicron cut by one tablet so taking 2 a day instead of 3. My motto is keep on keeping on.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

End of week 3 have lost 23lbs or 10.46 kgs for you foreigners. Amazed, such a wonderful eating plan, loving every moment.
    Love jan🌺🌺🌺

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Brilliant work, keep it going you will be amazed.
    Love jan🌸

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m at screaming pitch with frustration and all because I seem to have lost the plot on this whole thing.

I had been just one pound away from achieving a stone lost and since then, I have seen only increases, so that I am now 2.6lb away from that achievement.

Whilst I confess that I have had a few days over the top on calories, the carbs have been consistently under 50g everyday, however, I am seeing daily weight increases and am really struggling to get my head together again and get myself back to loosing rather that gaining. Finding it really hard to find motivation right now and feel like it’s all falling apart.

Sorry, whinge over! I know what I need to do – reign it all in and get back to basics and start thinking positively as well.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Calm down dear, calm down. When you say over the top on calories, how much over the top? They can make for weight gain. I can feel your frustration, but just keep going, stick to <800 carbs and you will reach your stone lost (another one!!!).

Positive vibes winging your way, SunnyB. Be Sunny like your name!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You are right of course, I have had a couple of days up around 1200cals, so I really shouldn’t be surprised things are not happening. Although some people seem to achieve weight loss with just keeping carbs in check, I have to accept I am not one of them and get on with the task of keeping the calories in check.

I am two days into my week, so I have plenty of time to sort things out for success by next Monday morning’s weekly weigh in and I need to bring a more positive attitude.

Thanks for the common sense and straight talking Ziggy. Have been booking flights this afternoon, so have plenty to look forward to and be positive about and I’m determined weigh less by the time we go away in eight weeks.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Tried to post to you earlier, SunnyB but it didn’t go through.

Over and above Ziggy’s lovely calming post are you MEASURING??

Sometimes weight plateaus but if you measure waist etc or check your target garment if you have one, the inches are going.

I had plateaux but looked thinner and waists gaped. I deduced it was the fat from my visceral organs.

So check the measurements, ignore the lbs, and onwards and downwards!

πŸ™‚

• posted by LACali21
    on

If you are exercising, including walking, it could be muscle too. I too watch the scale and feel defeated when I don’t lose so I know how you feel. Everyone here is so supportive though. Definitely easy to be around you guys. πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the advice igorasusual and LACali21. Had just gone into a flap about it all, but now feeling more controlled. Today I am wearing cropped trousers that used to fit, but I am having to tie the drawstring extra tight on, as the waist is much too big now. Ashamed to say I do not do as much exercise as I should – always find it hard to motivate myself in that regard, so I don’t think I can chalk this problem up to increased muscle mass.

I’m in the zone for today’s calorie and carb intake, so feeling in a better headspace now. Thanks for all the support guys, it’s so appreciated. It’s so good to be able to sound off here and know someone will reach out.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Morning all.

Just wanted to tell you the news about OH, who has Type 2, and has been following the BSD principles with me.

He didn’t really want to lose much weight, but hoped to lose some visceral fat (has had problems with liver, including 2 ablations) and ideally get off Metformin. So he has been doing more calories than 800 per day, but restricting carbs to 20-30g per day and avoiding all refined carbs, with his calories coming in in the range of 1500-1900 per day.

He has lost weight, moved from size 36 trousers to 34, and size XL shirts to M (major wardrobe adjustments!!), and enrolled his GP in supporting him by regular blood tests to judge how his blood sugar is going.

Previous blood sugar readings had been 9 – 9.5 and higher (one high reading nearly caused him to have a liver op postponed). Before a BS test in early May, he tried restricting carbs for a few days on a very unscientific basis, and got a result of 7 – 8. Improved, but still not as good as needed.

So he started 26th May on a better planned BSD inspired regime, and was tested at the end of June – he has just had all the results and a discussion with GP (delayed because of our holiday) when his blood sugar has gone down to 5.5 or non-diabetic levels, with the GP (not his usual one), having never heard of BSD but absolutely fascinated and asking for all the details, telling him that as far as she was concerned his results were normal and he could come off the 4 Metformin daily he was taking!

So effectively, 4 weeks of restricted carbs and no refined carbs – BSD principles – moved him from Type 2 to normal. πŸ™‚

He’s obviously done several more weeks now, at mid-end July, and hopefully the Blood Sugar is even better. Another test scheduled in, and his surgery keen to see what his results are as this may help other Type 2 patients!

This is such great news, over and above the real health improvements he’s found, including much improved liveliness (never thought we would be sitting in the garden in the sun with our coffee together at 7.30am – he would previously have been dead to the world still in bed for several hours more).

Am hoping that this really does turn into a medical breakthrough and that advice will change to help more people – I am unable to go anywhere in public now without noticing many people who would really benefit from helpful advice about how to reduce their spare tyres…..

• posted by Timmy
    on

That’s great news Igorasusual. I know what you mean about noticing other people. I do that all the time now : ]

• posted by Bissell
    on

Brilliant news Igorasusual, what a thrill for you both! I’m glad the Medics took notice too.

As to the noticing other people, I am getting so smug it’s even beginning to annoy me! But at least I keep it to myself, well, at least I hope I do! πŸ˜€

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Still losing again after 3 week adjustment or body to getting off all BP meds! Here’s my total overview and I hope it inspires anyone to stick with the program. I have many clients on the program as well and they are all doing splendidly.
    Overview since I began in case it helps anyone… Stick with it!!
    🌷Weekly weigh ins and loss in inches
    Week 1 – 9 lb / 4.5 inches
    Week 2 – 3 lb / 5.25 inches
    Week 3 – 5 lb / 4.75 inches
    Week 4 – .5 lb / 1.25 inches
    Traveling/stayed on program
    Week 5 – nothing lost
    Traveling/stayed in program
    Week 6 – 6.6 lbs / 1.75 inches
    Week 7 -1.4 lbs / 2.25 inches
    Week 8 – 4.6 lbs / 1.25 inches
    Taken off all BP meds by Dr. πŸ˜„
    Week 9 -.8 lbs / 0 inches
    Week 10 0 lbs / 1.75 inches
    Week 11 – 3 lbs / .25 inches
    Week 12 – 3 lbs / 1 inch

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Igorasusual, I am catching up with a few weeks of replies :-(.
    Saw this yesterday and was really pleased to see the practice looking at this so positively. If you read the whole BSD book you may remember MM’s description of the change to ulcer treatment that he did a programme on in the early 2000’s. It showed that many ulcers are caused by bacteria and treatable with antibiotics. I remembered the programme when he wrote about it, what I had not known was that after it was aired, the GMC had denounced it and it took 2 years to get it accepted. It was mainly through people going to their doctor and demanding antibiotics, being given them (probably just to shut them up) and then the GP’s realising it was working that the GMC changed their tune! People power can work!
    Keep up the good work.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Igorasusual
    Congratulations to your OH. They are great results.
    Here’s hoping more medical professionals take notice of the positive effects of the BSD.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another 2 pounds gone. Total disappeared now 78 pounds. Weight now 10 stone 6 pounds.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Bril keep up the excellent work
    😎😎😎

• posted by bigP
    on

HEALTHY BMI ALERT!!! HEALTHY BMI ALERT!!!

Pardon the all CAPS, but it’s such a massive milestone, one I never thought I’d reach, that I have to shout about it.

For the first time in my adult life I have reached a healthy BMI!!! While I do take the number with a pinch of salt, knowing it’s a very archaic way of measuring a healthy body and that I should be looking at things like body fat percentage instead, it still feels amazing!!!

25th July 2016 – 81.7kg – 180lbs – 12st 12lbs – BMI 24.8
    Weekly loss – 1.6kg – 3.5lbs – I actually hit a low mark of 81.2kg on Saturday morning, but the nice weather and the good feeling of getting to a healthy BMI was reason enough to have a BBQ (protein and veg only) and ice cream (… no excuses).

Loss so far:
    Since June 2014 – 58.9kg – 130lbs – 9st 4lbs
    Since 1st March 2016 – 42.1kg – 93lbs – 6st 9lbs
    Since 4th April 2016 (beginning of BSD800) – 28.8kg – 63lbs – 4st 7lbs

Current Target – Get fitter, adding muscle and get rid of the fat around my belly and thighs, in other words concentrate on getting my body fat percentage down.

Target Complete 25th July 2016 – 82kg – 181lbs – 12st 13lbs – BMI 24.9 – This will take me into the healthy BMI range for the first time since i was a child.

• posted by Bissell
    on

That’s fantastic news bigP.
    Not so big now, huh?!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Congratulation about hitting the healthy BMI range!!! I am one pound of hitting mine, but I am please to be making progress towards it and to have it in reach now. Had one of my biggest losses this week – down 3.6lb, bringing me under that illusive stone mark I have been striving for. No idea what was different about this week, to result in this drop, but happy to be here.

New target is to get to a weight beginning with 8, which means I need to get rid of another 9lb, but it really feel do-able now, whereas previously it felt like it was completely unreasonable to expect to get there. Tried on a dress I have been able to get into for maybe five years and it fits!!! So chuffed, just need an occasion to wear it for now.

• posted by bigP
    on

Thanks Bissell, I do wonder what the people that gave me that nickname would say now. My size was so synonymous with who I was my whole life, now the nickname is somewhat of an oxymoron.

Thanks SunnyB, I know what you mean about it feeling do-able now where previously it felt unreasonable. When I read the book, the stories of people going from really heavy to a healthy BMI seemed to be the extreme positive cases, and that while the diet may work to an extent for me, it would take a long, long time to come close to that, but here I am. In less than 5 months I lost a third of my body weight and went from pre-diabetic and taking 2 types of blood pressure meds, to having normal blood sugar levels and no BP meds at all. The journey is by no means over, my body fat percentage is still higher than it should be and I have to maintain the weight and healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life, but none of it feels out of reach. The diet has given me so much more than a lighter body, It’s given me a whole new life.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Really well done bigP!!!
    That’s really fantastic.
    How about bigPositive, bigPatient, or bigPowerful…..all describe in some way what you have achieved.
    Kind regards P.

• posted by quinnt
    on

Hi BigP

You are are a real inspiration, and its really helpful for me to see your losses. I need to get down to a similar weight to get into the healthy BMI and was nearly 30 kg heavier than when I started last week. Thanks for sharing.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi BigP
    Truly amazing figures and great to get to that healthy BMI.
    Huge respect…..well obviously, ‘huge’ is not an appropriate word these days!!!
    Fantastic inspiration to everyone else out there.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hey Big Hearted P!!!
    Great job and congratulations on your accomplishment!! You must be so proud and feel so great!
    Thanks for sharing as it’s inspirational to all of us in here working for our own goals.
    πŸŒ·πŸ’–πŸ’œ

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yeahhhhh milestones we love them,

Regards
    Jan🌞🌞🌞

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Create a reason to wear that frock, go girl.πŸ‘„πŸ’…πŸ‘—πŸ‘›πŸ‘ 

• posted by LACali21
    on

BigP you are truly an inspiration. I just told my DH this morning that i only had 30 lbs to lose in Aug and Sept to reach my goal of 50 lbs lost by the end of Sept and he basically made it sound like it was impossible. But after looking at your profile and see what you accomplished I feel I CAN do this!! Thanks you were a major pick up for me this morning. πŸ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Congratulations BP you must feel marvellous
    Well done and thanks for being such an inspiration to everyone ! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Congratulations bigP. πŸ’

You must be feeling fantastic

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi all,
    This isn’t a weigh in but it’s a shocking and amazing target to me so I have to share it. I just went to buy a couple shirts because my shirts are too big and my clients are telling me I need a couple new ones and I am down 10 full sizes from when I started this program. 10!!!
    I will probably be in shock about this for another week so bear with me, but it’s amazing and I thank each and everyone of you for all that you share in all of your inspiration.
    πŸ’œ

• posted by Bissell
    on

Fantastic Happy! Isn’t that a great feeling? 10 sizes down! Wow! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

• posted by oldlady
    on

Lost 4kg in the first 2 weeks but 3kg of that in the first week and am weighing myself daily. I’m not sure this is a good thing as some days my weight goes up instead of down. I know weight can change daily but it’s a motivational thing and a pound loss makes me smile and a pound gained makes me miserable. I lose weight slowly (apparently an age thing – boo) and I’m pretty careful on the 800 cals a day (plus multivit). Scales this morning say I’ve put on a pound yesterday so instead of a smiley face I’ve got a sad face. Mad I know but that’s how my brain works but reading all the successful messages on here I’m carrying on for the full 8 weeks regardless.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Bril work happy life πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Bril work keep going, we will all do it together
    Jan. 😎😎😎

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Old lady – don’t focus on the weight, what about the MEASUREMENTS?

Have you measured? Do you have “target’ garments? Often the weight varies or plateaus whilst inches melt away.

Don’t sabotage yourself.

Onwards and downwards! πŸ™‚

• posted by oldlady
    on

thanks Igorasusual. Now measuring myself is one thing I’m having a problem doing. Just going to have to get my head around the fact that my waist is no longer 26″ (going back many years here!). I have no idea of any of my measurements only that M&S and Next size 16 fit me sometimes loosely and sometimes tightly. Maybe I’ll grit my teeth and find my long hidden tape measure – either that or try on my velvet trousers which I doubt I can get past my kneecaps at the moment. Will let you know when I can get them on (a small size 14). thanks for advice.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hey Happy Life

That is totally awesome! How are you adjusting to the change do you see yourself as a different person in the mirror?

I have gone down one size so far but maybe add in another half for wearing clothes very snug! What I’m enjoying is still wearing some of these clothes and thinking oh aren’t they baggy now that is a new sensation! Feels so good but hopefully I will get to the point of having to downsize because they will look ridiculous.

The sun is still shining here in the South east and breakfast was on the deck while it lasts.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Congratulations Happy…that is amazing…celebrating your success with sparkling water!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just finished week 4 and my weight loss is 6 lbs. πŸ™ , not a fantastic loss but it is a loss. Normally I lose 3 lbs, gain 2 lose 1 etc etc and end up about the same weight as I started. At least on this I have LOST 6 lbs. Blood glucose very good and will be seeing the doctor in 2 weeks.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t fret shinshine-girl – many of us are slow losers too, but with the BSD, you know that it will happen, even if it takes longer than you might like. It seems to be quite easy to consolidate a loss using this way of eating, so once you’ve lost 6lb, you can be pretty sure it’s not going to sneak back up on you. Anyway, don’t be down hearted, stay focused and enjoy becoming a healthy new you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.