“Success in March without the Starch” 4 week challenge ending 20 March

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Treelady,
    I was gong to ask which of the two Black Mountains in South Wales you live near. – I remember you mentioning seeing the snow coming over the Black Mountain just as it was snowing here. I’m on the western side of the Brecon Beacons.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Gattina – everything you just said. Yes.

Well, it was either 38hrs if you count cream in coffee or a full 40 if we don’t. Happy either way. Didn’t eat with my friend as all I could think was I wanted Greek yoghurt, nuts and seeds and not an omelette which was all that was on offer in the cafe. Just had the Greek yoghurt eat al. Yum yum.

I definitely felt fantastic throughout, not weak or feeble at any point – walked for an hour with the dog this morning. I wouldn’t be lifting weights at this point, I don’t think, but otherwise feeling very buoyant and full of energy.

Having said that I am planning on a very quiet afternoon, just because I feel like one. Not too much thinking planned, just reading and chilling out. Partly that’s because last two nights sleep was curtailed – late night last night and dog and cat interruptions night before. Slept like a log when left to own devices and had some vivid dreams (cat and dog related, funnily enough) last night.

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi Stelae – welcome and congratulations on taking the first step to a healthier life for you & your son.
    I can relate to the relationship you mention with alcohol. My husband and I were becoming very friendly with the wine bottle most nights and really wanted to get back to enjoying having a bottle of wine instead of just chucking several over our throats just because. I am glad to say that we have finally got there and I have to admit it has been down to adopting this WOE. Drinking when you are only consuming 800 cals is hard core so we slowly changed, sticking to NO alcohol during the week and following the FAST 800 to the letter but then somewhere down the line we started to allow ourselves more calories and wine at weekends only thinking we were still doing fine, ok if we were at maintenance but we still had a lot to lose! We trundled along gaining and losing the same 5lbs but not adding to the overall loss then come Christmas we fell off the wagon big time and I managed to put 12lbs back on and collected lots of empty wine/fizz bottles along the way!
    This year we have done dry January but didn’t manage to get back to this WOE – the no alcohol = massive sugar cravings and we got stuck into all the “nice” carb loaded sugar treats left over from Christmas. Since the beginning of this month I have been lurking in the back ground and occasionally trying to add in 800/20 days with not much joy then received a nudge from Mariet, whom was one the original starters of the group I joined a year ago, she kept it up and I didn’t 🙁 but she got me back well and truly focused to recommit and sign up for this challenge and hubby and I have said NO alcohol for these next 4 week challenge and ultimately to continue for the full 8 weeks and we are determined. So I have no really advice but happy to hold your hand if you hold mine and with the support of all these lovely people I am sure we can do it 🙂 x

• posted by treelady
    on

Hi JGwen,
    I’m on the East side near Abergavenny, with a fantastic view of the Skirrid from my study window. Looking forward to the hard frosts and blue sky days they are forecasting for the weekend, and hope to spend most of the time in the garden.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi JGwen/treelady
    treelady, that view sounds fantastic.
    When I lived in Cardiff I used to regularly drive through the Brecon Beacons to stay with friends in Llanwrtyd Wells and then on to friends in Llandrindod Wells. What a lovely part of the world.

• posted by marie123
    on

Gattina – yes, completely relatable for me too

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi TreeLady, What a pity, there is a seed swap and gardening event happening on this side of the BBNP this weekend that I plan to go to and thought if you were on this side as well we could meet up. – Maybe some other time.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi all, I’ve just done 24 hours of my planned 48 hours fasting. My stomach feels fine and my brain seems to have accepted that I’m not going to eat until tomorrow night so I have found it almost easier to have no food, than to be thinking that I can eat later.

My one issue is that I have felt dizzy when getting up from sitting for a long time. My BS is OK and so is my blood pressure. I’ve tried salt which I’ve seen recommended on here and we’ll see what that does. Assuming the dizziness doesn’t get worse I’m definitely going for 48 hours.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Getting up during a fast gives me a few seconds of dizziness too, Victoria. Salt makes no different for me, but then again, I rather like the feeling. It’s like a tiny buzz you get to enjoy without the alcohol. 😀

• posted by blessedenough
    on

Victoria – good luck with your 48hr fast, some salty water can help with dizziness.
    Had a good day today. I avoid the carb laden lunch provided by work and the biscuits and the best bit was I didnt feel deprived. My back is still sore but work had a stand up desk they let me use, I feel a bit of a tool standing up but thats better than backache. Food wise I had greek yoghurt, hm mackerel pate on chinese leaf lettuce. Dinner was hunters chicken with broccoli with only a tiny bit of sauce.came in at 20 g ish of carbs and 800 kcals. I have been relying on shop bought stuff which isnt ideal but I need it to be easy until I get to grips with it. Off swimming in a bit.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Thanks Esnecca – that’s a good way to think of it!! turn it to a positive.

Thanks blessedenough – well done on sticking to your target, don’t feel silly standing at desks – a lot more people should be doing it, sitting all day is bad for so many parts of your body. I am retired now, so I try to stand a lot more that I used to at work.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Blessedenough, I envy you your standing desk. I try to get up each hour and my Fitbit reminds me if I haven’t but I find I pay for a two minute walk with a ten minute lapse in concentration, not good for productivity.

I’m in awe of your fast Victoria. I know several here enjoy prolonged fasts but I don’t think I could. If my stomach is empty I can’t sleep and I just love to sleep! If I’m very busy I can do 24 hours easily but I have no plans to extend that though I understand the health benefits. Well done you.

Oh2bethin, I was a bottle a night girl when we started too! Stopped during the week in the initial 8 weeks though that’s relaxed a little but still only if I am out for dinner. Sadly I seem to be out for dinner once or twice a week and I wonder if that’s what’s preventing me from getting to my final goal. I have a new reason now though, my dress for my daughters wedding will look a whole lot better if I lost another couple of kilos and I’m always better with a deadline.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi all, special hello to all the new joiners. Hats off to you for joining in, reaching out, being courageous enough to put it out there. The rewards are quite surprising. I’ve found the extra support, information and oomph I’ve enjoyed as a result of all this wonderful support has really helped keep me on track – both when the weight is dropping off beautifully and when my weird old body has insisted on hanging on to every last gram.

On the tricky question of alcohol, for me, previously a regular drinker, I had to properly commit in my head to not drinking alcohol at all for the full 8 weeks and then extended this to whenever I reached my goal (not hard by that stage). I could see from the forums that alcohol really does interrupt weight loss progress and I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so it was simpler for me to have a ‘no alcohol’ framework to lean on. It was a bit tricky in social situations at first and initially feelings of stress or frustration or even a beautiful summer evening were enough to make be yearn for a drink but the bigger commitment won out and then I started to feel so fantastic, I didn’t want to lose that very big NSV. It becomes less and less of an issue. Mind you, close to the end now, I did have some red wine last weekend so I clearly need to include a thoughtful alcohol plan for maintenance.

Well done all you fasters as well. JackieM isn’t that energy an interesting thing. I’ve only experienced on my longer 60 hour fast – ended up doing some housework at 7 o’clock at night!

on

Pate recipe posted as requested ; )
    The stand up desk will hopefully help my back. I swam tonight and now lying on a hot water bottle, that always helps. I hope this time I can nip it in the bud before it gets too bad. Will try and get the strong anti inflammatories from the dr. I am feeling really positive and focused, my back flaring up is helping focus the mind.
    I used to drink too much but gave up at new year and surprisingly I dont miss it, it always derailed my low carb attempts. I will drink in the future but not whilst doing this. Tomorrow I am going shopping for some fish in sauce ready meals, I have eaten more fish this last week than in an entire year. Need to learn how to make my own sauces now. For this next 4 strict weeks I will stick to shop bought stuff as I know whats in it and can be precise in my measurements. Onwards and downwards everyone

• posted by JustStickWithThis
    on

Hi folks! Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and encouragement. It is hard to do an 800 calorie day! I think I had about 1280 or so today, so kind of a failure.
    I really do want to make this work. I am all for that quick weight loss!
    Starting tomorrow, I will weigh in and note my daily weight here (and on myfitnesspal).
    I think I need to figure out my favorite combos and get used to a routine of sorts. I love fruit and have an appreciation for whole oats. On the other hand, does anyone use the meal replacement method mentioned in the book? It’s supposed to be 600 calories from meal replacements and 200 from veggies. Thoughts?

• posted by JustStickWithThis
    on

Hi again! I actually am going to quit this diet. It is not gonna work for me. No will power. lol!
    But it is awesome that it has worked for so many! Best of luck and good health to you all. 🙂

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey juststickwiththis – it’s up to you of course but I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. It’s not allnor nothing, just do what you can. Low carbs more important than low calories and 1250 isn’t a failure. Don’t know if it’s your first go st it, but why don’t you just give up bread, rice, pastry, cake etc for a week or so then see if that makes 800 an easier proposition.

I’m 20kilo down, I started bybeasing into it, then a few weeks 800 and 20g carbs, then ‘maintenance’ of low carb no calorie counting. It’s worth it, honest!,

• posted by JackieM
    on

57.9kg on scales second day running! A loss of just under 1 kilo, which doesn’t sound like much but it’s moved me off my very stable 58.8kg and I am delighted. Best is it’s definitely off tummy, which is where I want it to go from.

I want to do another 40hr fast, think I will wait until after weekend as too complicated with kids and OH around. Back on 16/8 today, I think, or thereabouts.

KOKO everyone, we’ve got this!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi juststickwiththis
    Just read your post and agree with Jackie – we each have to find our own way with this eating plan – and there’s nothing wrong with just cutting out some of the main ‘white carbs’ and keeping to a higher number of calories. There are people on here who have done that; they may lose weight more slowly, but they still lose weight.
    But, you know what’s best, and from my point of view, knowing this isn’t the diet for you isn’t failure, it’s wisdom. I’m sure there’ll be things you’ve learnt from having tried this woe that you’ll be able to use in future.
    Very best wishes
    Marie

• posted by kaz62
    on

Hi stickwiththis totally agree with the replies from Jackie and Marie I started out by cutting out the main carbs the year before last I didn’t worry about the veg carb counts or calories initially – you will start to lose – baby steps xx Lucia has some great posts about doing this a bit at a time xx

on

Juststickwiththis- when you can get your carbs lower it really becomes easier, I promise. Hunger goes away, I didnt believe it but it does.
    However mentally its very tough you have to be ready for the diet but if you are you will get great results and improve your health.
    1200kcals isnt bad, perhaps look at the long game and try to step down the cals when you are ready. If you are not ready now, dont worry we will be here when you are. This is my 3rd attempt at starting, its only my bad back that is keeping me focused. Good luck with whatever you do.

• posted by marie123
    on

I’m pretty pleased with how things are going so far this week. My blood sugars are still good, planning my meals, weighing and recording everything – no sneaky (oversized) tablespoonfuls of yoghurt when passing the fridge. I’m doing 16:8 and have done all my gym/exercise sessions so far – another today.

Mokovex – I haven’t forgotten I’d promised to post the results of my review at the end of my exercise referral (prescription) programme. I’ve been waiting to do an update boditrax-type scan (think it’s a cheap version of this) so I could post body fat % as well, but they’ve been too busy to do one as yet. Going to try again today.

Maid2measure, hope you’re doing well, and everybody else – great to see this challenge so active.
    Keep On Keeping On!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Juststickwiththis – I just wanted to echo what others have said. Obviously it’s up to you but dropping carbs a little will help dropping the calories. Plus 1250 is still (presumably) a drop and there are days in which I probably have around this amount because I struggle.

Good luck with whatever you decide

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Half term means I am off routine so not finding time to read the posts properly and reply as fully as I would like.

Today another low of 122.6lb
    3.6lb to GOAL 😊🤪

Crucially my body fat seems to be oh so slowly coming down. My body composition ultrasound has had to be rescheduled to April, for a good reason so not too disappointed.

I am now at the stage of liking my body!!!!! Don’t get me wrong, I am a 45yr old woman who has had 3 children and has the wobbly tum and stretch marks to prove it but I am now the size in my clothes I have been in my head for about 15 years. I post this to say KOKO as it really can be done. I was truly despairing of ever being able to give up binge eating, had horrible reflux due to too much tummy fat, depression, bit of anxiety and generally feeling that I was the one person nothing would work for, so it is with a large dose of disbelief I find myself now thinking about not getting too small. These fora have been the key for me, the empathy and wisdom – superb.

Marie123- still looking forward to your results 😀

Go well all. X

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning everyone
    Juststickwiththis the others have said it all and you know what’s best for you but it doesn’t have to be about the quick weight loss. This is my second attempt and I’m not counting all those other attempts which only lasted a week or two if that. You will know when it’s right for you. But don’t forget that small changes do add up. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.
    Good luck.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all
    I have the luxury of a day off today and I’m writing this from my bed instead of fighting my way through the crowded tube as I usually do at this time.
    I went to see the Harry Potter play last night and I’m looking forward to part two tonight 😀 I really enjoyed it but everyone was eating around me, popcorn chocolate sweets and then there was the ice-cream in the interval… I always loved the ice-cream during the interval.
    I did ask myself would one ice-cream really do that much damage but I held firm. I hope I can hold out tonight.
    Good luck everyone and happy Friday

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Morning – walked into the office this morning and all I could smell was TOAST 🙁 just have to keep telling myself toast promises sooo much but delivers nothing!

Mokovex congrats on your new low! Love your honest post about now liking your body, hope to be there one day.

Juststickwiththis – do what works for you but would suggest that even just dipping in and out of the forums helps with motivation.
    Re alcohol – Fridays are my challenge especially after work – I vow to stay strong, drink lots of water and keep on……

• posted by caronl
    on

#Moskovex Many congratulations on your new low.
    #Gattina Well done for resisting the ice cream. You can do the same again tonight. Think of how they look melted and warm. Yuk!
    Every Friday morning used to be my time for a “treat” of a French lemon meringue tartlet. OH has just had his. I enjoyed a mindful gorgeous, tasty scrambled egg with spinach and smoked salmon. I’m not sure there is a better combination of tastes on the planet! Good luck everyone this week!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Gattina – have a lovely eve, imagine us as your cheering squad there with you willing you to resist that ice cream 👌

Oh2bethin – KOKO and you can totally get there, one mouthful at a time, those eaten and those resisted. Well done on finding new ‘treats’.

• posted by Marcassin
    on

Mokovex, this morning when I was brushing my teeth I realised I was moving my head from side to side so that I could admire my cheekbones. I mean cheekbones? I didn’t realise I had any.
    Yesterday my intention was to skip lunch, eat in the evening and then fast today but our clients offered to take us out to lunch. It was a Turkish restaurant so the chicken doner was reasonable healthy although I shouldn’t have had hummous & bread as a starter or rice with the chicken but I did leave most of it.
    Feeling guilty after eating carbs I brought the fast forward by not eating last night. I am now 29 hours in and have moved up to my bedroom to keep my distance from the kitchen, will have a long bath soon (with Epsom Salts!) and an early night so I should make it through the night. Not sure whether to call a halt then or take it through to 48 hours.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Brief respite between ferrying kids around, eating prawn, courgette, mushroom and spinach curry. I did say I’d leave OH some, but we’ll see 😁

At gym, the scales say I am 26.6% fat (was 45% when started) and 30% muscle, which the PT got pleased about. I wonder what the rest is?!?! Visceral fat down by 1, not sure of what scale is but was 6 now 5 , that’s got to be good! 58.6kg, with clothes on, maybe our scales at home weigh a bit heavy.

Have eaten a bit more today than usual, but not excessive amounts. You may not want to read this next bit if you are hard on the 800, but a teaspoon of peanut butter (I get the Whole Earth one with seeds, less carbs 4.6g per 100g as opposed to 7g for the plain one) spread on one piece of 90% chocolate is AMAZING- like a Reeses nut cup.

on

Well done Jackiem – how long did it take you to lose the weight?
    I have had a good day today but felt very dizzy and weak, I think it might be down to lack of salt, I have none in the house and have been drinking lots of water. I know its important in this diet so I will add it to the shopping list.
    I was very unhungry today. I didnt have anything until midday when I had a greek yoghurt. Then at 5 I had mackerel pate on chinese leaf lettuce and just had for dinner a salty and lush chicken in oyster sauce with all manner of green veg. I may have gone slightly over my cals as I used quite a lot of oil in the stirfry but def a low carb day. I was very tired and briefly fell asleep before dinner. My daughter said my breath stunk and got me a glass of water – she is only 6 bless her. So I must be in ketosis but no energy whoosh just yet. I struggle getting enough veg in, how does everyone else do it?

on

How I get over the its a weekend I deserve a treat aka glass or several of wine is to put my music on, dance in the kitchen with hubby and try out a new recipe. Usually a chinese or thai.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi JackieM, with the visceral fat that is very good. 12 is supposed to be the limit where you start worrying about it, and my last reading last June was a 4. KOKO.

on

I just measured my waist at new year it was a whopping 112cm😱, then I had a month or so trying to lose weight – mainly failing tbh. Started this low carbing in feb and this diet shortly after and am now 7cm down. Yay.

• posted by JackieM
    on

MixnMatch – YAY! 😁

Blessedenough – obese August 10 (BMI 30, 76.6kg) and insulin resistance officially diagnosed. Can’t remeber exactly but was normal BMI well before Christmas (64kg). Have lost another 6kg since then and BMI now 22.

Success was very (very – sub 20) low carbs, and some 800 weeks (about 5) and the rest just as little as possible (for example, was in France and couldn’t weigh anything but lost a kilo).

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Morning all,
    I managed the 48 hours fast! First time with an extended fast, and I honestly felt that I could have kept going except for going out for a Chinese meal with friends.
    Overall I had patches of feeling that I really wanted to eat, but long periods where I forgot about it completely. Last night I had a glass of prosecco before the meal then jasmine tea with the meal. Had a few too many carbs, but didn’t feel the need to stuff myself, in fact I didn’t feel that I could, and I got full really quickly.
    Lost 4 lbs over the 48 hours! I expect some will come back but even so I’ll definately do that again, in fact I’ve decided on 2 x 24 hours fasts per week for now as part of my 800/20.
    I now have 1st and 2 lbs to go.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Well done VictoriaM, as a new convert to fasting I can’t get enough of all these stories.

• posted by Flick
    on

Wow so many positive results – mastering resisting unnecessary sugar or calories and some great results on key measurements, bloods, waist, body composition along with weight losses? I’m gobsmacked. Not to mention all those so cleverly resisting temptation.

And as for all the fasting, 16/8, 24 and 48. Hats off from me!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Marcassin – go you👏 keep thinking (or go have a look) about those wonderful cheekbones when temptations strike. Get the motivation where you can. Well done for the fast, let us know how it goes.

JackieM – those stats sound superb!! you must be pleased as punch. Totally curious, but how do they measure visceral fat?

blessedenough – great image, what do you dance to? good news on the waist measurement, 📉 does that encourage you to keep going?

VictoriaM – great news about the fast, does your goal now feel within reach?

today = -0.4lb.
    to goal = 3.2lb.

• posted by Flick
    on

Mokovex – soo close 💪🏻

• posted by JackieM
    on

57.9kg seems to be new weight (3 days in a row).

Mokovex – I don’t know! You stand on the scales and hold the handles and I think an electric pulse maybe? Will find out name of scales and do bit of research. You are going great guns, by the way, keep it up!

• posted by JackieM
    on

As an addendum to my weight loss story, I definitely didn’t have enough fibre during my hardcore weeks and if I was doing it again I would keep up the leafy veg and seeds. I’ve rectified that now without weight gain, but after a while I definitely suffered for it, not in terms of pain but seeing some very – ahem – unpleasant and a bit worrying BMs. I also have high cholesterol, which is not standard after this diet, which may be a reaction to the lack of fibre.

All good now though! (Not the cholesterol yet, actually, but I’ve turned down statins as everything else is so good).

• posted by Marcassin
    on

Without wishing to give too much detail, I too have seen unpleasant BMs. I keep trying to drink more and hope things will improve as I go into maintenance.
    Does anyone else find that constipation increases when away from home? I don’t know if it is the change in water or increase in stress but my body doesn’t seem to want to let go until it is safely home again.

• posted by Flick
    on

JackieM – that is a great weight result! Excellent that it has stabilised nice and low. Mine is still bouncing around a bit but still quite a loss. What’s your target?

• posted by Flick
    on

Marcassin, I’m lucky enough to be one of those regular as clockwork, once a day gals – except long haul flights and as a side effect of this diet, timing is random now, even with a big emphasis on fibre. I’m not always in a comfortable place so have developed the bad habit of hanging on sometimes. Sure not to be a healthy choice. TMI?

• posted by JackieM
    on

Flick – it was 64kg! Then below 60kg, now 57.6kg but ultimately I’m thinking 55kg. Though if I could increase muscle mass I wouldn’t mind a stall in weight loss. I mostly don’t want it to begin with a 6 again.

• posted by Flick
    on

Oh so close! 🎉🎉🌟🌟🌟

• posted by JackieM
    on

Marcassin – my record is 2 weeks in Morocco and that was not food related!

Please log in or register to post a reply.