“Success in March without the Starch” 4 week challenge ending 20 March

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Did I do it right, did I?!

Welcome to the next challenge! Or the party barn, as Marsie put it a while back.

Wishing you the very best in this our next four week challenge.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Jackie, all looks good to me!
    Am starting this challenge at 15.10. Good luck everyone!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Phew! My personal targets to do some more fasts and have a number beginning with 57kg. As reported on last one have finally lost .5kg and am on 58.1kg. Hopefully set up a new pattern of downward motion for next 4 weeks.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Thanks for setting this up Jackie.
    I’m starting this challenge at 15st 10lbs. My challenge is to lose a stone in the 4 weeks taking me into the 14s … I don’t remember when I was last in the 14s…
    Good luck with your challenge everyone

• posted by marie123
    on

I’m starting this challenge at 9 stone 11lbs (62.14). My weight loss target for this challenge is to lose 7lbs (3.1kgs) to achieve a 5 stone total weight loss. Having been pretty dormant for the first 3 weeks of the last challenge, I got my mojo back this last week, so I’m going for it now. Here’s to success in March for all of us.

• posted by Flick
    on

Thanks for setting this challenge up for us Jackie. They have really helped prop me up and ver the last three months.

I’m starting this challenge at 63.7kg and have two weeks left to complete Round 2. My plan is to be very strict 800/20 for those two weeks and consider starting reverse dieting at that point. My goal is 60kg but I think I will settle for whatever weight I land on at the end of that.. Of course I’d love to be 60kg but I’m just about ready to call it quits and start the challenge of maintenance.

So just for the fun of it, let’s say my goal for this challenge is 3.7kg 🤪

• posted by treelady
    on

Looking forward to this challenge JackieM – thank you.
    Starting weight 11st 13lbs – so a total of 7lbs lost in the two weeks since I started BSD.
    Goals for this challenge –
    1) Lose another 7lbs (being realistic, but anything over that will be fab)
    2) Get at least one 16:8 in a week, more if I can manage it
    3) Drink way, way much more water – what with regular tea and coffee I manage 1 glass of water a day, so will be gradually increasing the water up to 2L a day, and decreasing the tea and coffee.

Feeling much more motivated about the BSD WOL this time round, and loving being part of the forums.
    All the best to all of you.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi, I’m going to join you all for the first two weeks and then I’m away. I just need to get my head’ back into gear’ and have a few weeks of full on BSD eating again. I have just lost my way of late, probably because of extended time away from home, no excuse really but I have just spent 5 days ‘skiing off piste’, on the black runs!!!! So the time has come to get back on track. My goal is to get back into this WOE and stop being ‘lazy’ about food. No more odd spoonfuls of peanut butter, just one crispbread with some cheese because I ‘feel like something’ or just one square of 90% that turns into two or three! I need to get back to ‘proper’ cooking and weighing and logging. So that’s my goal for the next two weeks. Hope everyone makes their goal for this challenge.

• posted by FightingT2
    on

I’d like to join please.
    I have bought the original book and recipe book, but just not been able to stick with it.
    I’ve been avoiding my annual check up, as I’m worried my GP will put me in medication.
    I have plenty of reasons to put my mind to this and hoping the support and success stories from this forum wil keep me going.

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Hi, 2 weeks in and things going well. I would like to be part of the 4 week challenge please!
    My aim is to loose 9lb plus, which will get me down into the 13’s and much nearer my yet to be decided target!
    Thanks everyone for all the encouragement that your posts provide, I have not found it easy, but the weight is coming off! YAY!l

• posted by Marsie
    on

Yay, Jackie 😀👏👏🎉 All jokes aside, well done and thanks for setting us up for this very aptly titled challenge. Heads down, bums up, everyone. Let’s get to work xx

Starting this challenge at 59.7kg with a couple of kgs to go to reach the top of my BMI range. That’s my goal. I’d like to do it by March 20th but won’t be distraught if it takes longer just so long as the trend is always downward. Will basically be using the med diet and monitor my portions/weighing/tracking on one of two days each week. Not so much 5:2 because I will be eating as though I’m tracking.

I’m still MFODAAT xx

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks for setting this challenge up Jackie. I am starting at 63.1 and aiming for 62 or lower. Ambitious considering the last few challenges but nothing ventured nothing gained.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thank you Jackie for setting this up and good luck to everyone who joins.
    On a personal note – being part of this 4 week challenge has made everything much easier than when I did the BSD as an 8 week thing and then continued on (and gave up) last year. It has helped keep me focused so I’m hoping for more success this month. Technically I’m 5 weeks into the 8 week challenge (having lost 20lbs so far) but that feels daunting whereas this does not.

Plus what a great group of people to share and support the journey. Right…

Challenge Starting weight = 211.8b
    Challenge target = 12lbs

This was the same total loss target for the last challenge which I didn’t quite succeed on but the idea of being in the 100s instead of the 200s is just too tantalising. Plus it would be a BSD low – last time I got to 201lbs and then hit self-destruct.

Gattina – fingers crossed for the 14s… I have my eye on that goal too.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for setting this challenge up Jackie.
    I don’t know what has happened so far this year. Well actually I do! I was going really well towards the end of 2017 and in early December got down to 91kg. Then came Christmas, New Year,
    Summer holidays, change of medications, and I actually put ON weight in the last challenge 🙁 I’ve gradually let some carbs creep back in, eating slightly larger portions, less exercise… no big changes really, but I find myself starting this challenge at 94.8kg, the weight I was last July! I’ve undone all the changes I made in the last 5 months of last year.
    Anyway, can’t look back and need to move forward. Ideally at the end of this challenge I’d be 89.9 and down to the Overweight range on the BMI scale. However I tend to lose weight very slowly, so not sure that almost 5kg is achievable in 4 weeks. Any movement downwards would be a win in my book! So I’m aiming for the 91s which is where I was in early December – 3kgs is doable 🙂
    I’ve worked out a meal plan for half of the first week with 800 calories per day, and aiming for 10,000+ steps per day.
    Good luck everyone 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

I am going to stick on with the 8 week challenge as well, but would like to sign up to this one.
    My body is currently going through a sponge impression stage with increasing water intake so I am going to focus on two different challenges. – I had a few days last week where I was on 20 hour fasts and ate very little in the 4 hours. Just because I didn’t fancy eating but I was so thirsty. End result weight gain of 0.6kg.

I know its just a result of my body adapting as I loose weight, and I know that the weight gain must be part of the cycle of the body filling up fat cells with water as part of the changes (because to put it politely fluid in doesn’t match fluid out at present) so I am not worrying. Simply setting my challenge for myself for the next 4 weeks to get more into the swing of eating 20:4 and drinking 2 litres of water a day and see where it takes me.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi people. Im motivated to get started, weight today is 82.4KG going for a goal of 78KG . and a behaviour goal of more exercise.should be possible if I focus

• posted by caronl
    on

Thank you Jackie for setting this up. Like JGwen, I am finishing off the 8 week challenge, but would like to join this too to take me through to 20 March. I weigh in today at 76.5, and would like to reach 74 by 20 March. I’ll stick with 800/40, 16:8, lots of water and start (finally!) my toning DVD. Good luck to everyone.

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi all, love the challenge name 😁
    Thanks to a gentle nudge from Mariet I’d like to sign up to be accountable again.
    I started this WOE with Mariet a year ago and although lost over 30lbs I have slowly put back on 12lbs so would love to shift those 12lbs on this challenge to get me back on the road of loosing instead of gaining.
    Thanks again Mariet for your support & looking forward to getting to know everyone else.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Found it!Thanks JackieM

Target – 5.9lb to goal. This seems like a total impossibility for this month as I am so close so it is coming off slowly. This is the month of my body fat ultrasound, so if around 25% then I will declare myself at goal.

All the best everyone. xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Mokovex – Yes, the last 5 lbs can feel like an eternity 🙂 Don’t let up, and really go hard on the water!!!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

thanks Alliecat,

A very helpful reminder too about water, have definitely been letting that slip. This challenge will be all about hydration 🐳

• posted by FightingT2
    on

Noticed that I didn’t give myself a goal 😊
    I’d like to lose 4kg, exercise 3 times per week and drink at least 1.5L everyday! A major challenge for me.

• posted by LadySusan
    on

Hi
    New girl here – can I join please?
    I plan to do this ongoing as have a LOT to lose but it would be nice to share a 4 week challenge to have some input from others on what works.
    Happy to do 800 cals – low carb – already do 16:8 – just have to focus on water consumption – difficult when it keeps feeling like winter!!!
    Thanks
    Susie

• posted by Marcassin
    on

I’m new too.
    Having lurked around the forum reading other people’s inspiring stories for a few months I thought it was time I registered and committed myself to a challenge.
    I’ve lost 24lb since the start of October on this diet which I am thoroughly enjoying but now need to focus to lose the last three pounds to get to my target of 147 lb. Although I don’t really know if that is where I finally want to be, that number was plucked fairly randomly out of the air a long time ago it may be that I was a little unambitious.
    May I say that I am absolutely loving the way the fat is going from my waist ? After all those years of reading that it is impossible to target weight loss at specific parts of the body, to see it going from where it is most needed is amazing.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Just seen photos of our last holiday, just before I was diagnosed as insulin resistant – wow, I was FAT. I think I understood that conceptually but couldn’t see it at the time. Much prefer the view in the mirror now 😁

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’m in but won’t be able to weigh in until I get home. Challenge is to do more than one HIIT session per week in addition to my badminton, and to try get my powerball technique back to try to relieve my wrists and hands which sometimes get painful. My only way of eating challenge is to maintain my ‘break free’ challenge of keeping my peanut butter intake under control until the end of this challenge as well, and with one 800 fast a week, and one full fast a month.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m in too – how many Challenges is this? I have joined each and every one, mostly have not done very well but occasionally have acheived my goals.
    This month I hope to get back on track and lose some of the ten pounds I have gained since early December. I have, at last, got a clear diary so there is no excuse not to stick to the 800 cals, keep the carbs low, oh and “drink more to shrink more”, that’s water not wine!
    X B

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Jackie M – I know what you mean about photos. About 18 months ago someone took a photo of me with their baby and whilst I cringed at how enormous I was when I saw the picture at the time, I also didn’t fully process that I was so big.

Last weekend I was holding someone else’s baby when a picture was as taken and I’m unrecognisable from the person I was. Which was very cheering even though I can see I have a long way to go.

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Hi everyone, welcome newcomers and thanks for starting this challenge Jackie. Like JGwen and caronl, I’m finishing up on 8 week reboot. A target of 2lb to go (loss of 13lbs since 1st Jan and total loss of 2.5 stone since started BSD). Target for this challenge is to get to top of healthy weight range of 9st 11lb, then go and get my bloods rechecked. Been putting it off as don’t know what I’ll do if my levels haven’t improved! Sure they will have though ☺ good luck everyone x

• posted by Steadyloser
    on

I’m in too, have let my eye off the call with carbs about 40 the last few days.

I’m starting at exactly 11 stone, aim is strictly 30 carbs (I’m not insulin resistant afaik or T2) and half a stone to get me to (just) a healthy weight at 10.5 stone.

Needing the encouragement to KOKO!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Things I’m going to do to help with my loss this month:

1) Walk more. Haven’t been good at that. Today for example was hectic at work and I was working from home so basically I stepped 15 steps to the study and was in my seat from about 8.30 to 5 with a two minute break to walk down the stairs and get a few slices of ham and a drink at about 12. So I’ve done 100 steps maybe today? Which is appalling. To be fair I normally manage 3000 when I’m working from home but when I first did this diet I was doing brisk 40 minute 2.5 mile walks.

2) Drinking water – first I’ve been drinking 7up zero so putting all that nasty chemicals in me. Plus Red Bull sugar free. Which is ridiculous cos I love water. Just been bad at drinking it and keeping levels up.

3) Get back to tracking and counting. It went by the wayside with other things but as of tomorrow I’ll get back to it.

4) Cut down on processed meat. Convenience has led me to eat a lot of chorizo and salami

I don’t have any specific dinners or events or holidays so from that point of view I should stay on track. The challenge will be that most weeks I will be spending 2 or more nights away from home in a Hotel/AirBnB so I can be with my OH. And I won’t necessarily have access to a fridge or cooker so may have to eat out. Hmmm – I really may have taken on far too big a challenge this month given that issue. Oh well – and for the stars, still reach the moon.

Also because I’m going to be away lots but don’t know when, I’m not going to restart my exercise regime just yet because everything is very unsettled.

But it’s nice to have a plan.

• posted by treelady
    on

Hi Shansu,
    I know what you mean – I am self employed and work from home, alternating between site surveys and typing up. It is very easy to get into the flow of work and realise at the end of the day you have hardly moved from the desk or walked far.
    I’ll join you in saying I will try and fit in walking every couple of days for non-work reasons and build up from there.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Oh2bethin, great to see you and all the newcomers.

A whoosh last night, half a kilo off so 62.6, 100g to go. I tried every way of standing on the scales, moving them and leaning in every direction but couldn’t get them to show the number I wanted 😉 surely though with no events until the weekend I can get there this time. No self sabotage!!!

• posted by Flick
    on

Woohoo Mariet! That is well into the lovely 62s! Such a great effort! 👏🏻👏🏻🎉🎉🎉🌟🌟🌟🌟🤩🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️

• posted by blessedenough
    on

Yes I would like to join. I have been messing about for a week or so. I have reduced my carbs and have lost between 4-7lbs depending on the time of day! I have learnt to leave breakfast for as long as possible otherwise I get hungry! Good luck everyone, onwards and downwards

on

My goal is to lose 10lbs and to help this along I will NOT weigh myself until the end of the challenge. I will drink much more water like a couple of litres instead of pints of black coffee. I already run 3x week but will supplement that with weights x2 a week. Need to be more organised with food and prep in advance. Any other tips? Need to do this, big family party in 6 weeks and want to look wobbly!

• posted by Flick
    on

This is a hoot. Comng to the end of a 60 hour fast – my longest and strangely easiest (I even experienced that extra energy boost this time) this morning I weigh in at …. 61.8kg! 😲🤔😂 that is a whopping 1.9 kg overnight loss. No doubt I have now rectified not enough water over the weekend, but I am also certain this will bounce back up as I eat again later today. Fingers crossed it only bounces into the 62s!

• posted by Marcassin
    on

Hi Shansu
    I know what you mean about the difficulties of working away as I am currently typing this in a Premier Inn.
    Managed to say low carb today but the meal was deeply uninspiring, I can cook better food at home.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi to all aboard this challenge. I’m still getting used to my new no 89.6 kg. Can’t believe it . So my first goal is to maintain it and just get better. Secondly my next usual stumbling block is 82 . So that’s where I’m headed . But I’ll take the hard work over this sickness! Again , I want to thank all of you for your inspirational stories, Tips and kind words. This is a wonderful place to come. I just hope I’m able to engage more this month. Still in hospital, off to X-ray this morning. Hoping for answers …
    To everyone of you I wish you every success. When you fall, dust yourself off and back at it!
    Love to everyone here ❤️

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Jackie all good x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Marie 123 the 5 stone sounds fantastic and you are almost there . Good luck!

• posted by kaz62
    on

Can I join please long time watcher from the sidelines 🙂started BSD yesterday at 12st 3:4lb bmi 27:6 aiming to lose 7-10 lb in this challenge need to avoid the snack table at work!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

As a reply to Verano, and others as well: as you can tell by my name I do love to cook. But I truely feel this WOE has to be a balance of adding delights to your life as you are restricting others.

I find I do so so much better if I do make myself a proper meal with a nice recipe even just twice a week with leftovers for another two days. You can wing it for the other two with tuna salad and omelettes or fritattas, etc. Whatever you find easy and satisfying. There are so many good low carb recipes on the internet and with a bit of searching you can find some easy things that can bring some new spices and new flavors into your life. Even just a new sauce or salsa to put on grilled meat livens things up and make a meal a pleasure and not something to be endured.

And for those that are new to low carb eating, PLEASE do not be afraid of some healty fats in your diet. Extra virgin olive oil is so good for you and will help with satiety. Same with lovely grass fed butter and full fat yogurt. When you take out the starch/carbs you have to put something back to replace it, and too much protein will stall your weight loss (converted to sugar by the body). Less carbs and more fats truely mean less hunger. I have lost 50+ lbs on this WOE and others much more. Do not be afraid of it.

Best of luck to you all…..and HAPPY eating. Just a bit less of it.

LTC

• posted by Marcassin
    on

Kaz62, the snack table at work is a menace but it does get easier. After the first week or two your body stops craving sugar which helps enormously. I find that bought in stuff can be ignored quite easily as you can tell yourself “If I really want that later I can just buy it in M & S or Tescos or wherever”.
    Other people’s home made cakes are more challenging as I know they will be delicious but at Christmas after 10 weeks on the diet I allowed myself a small slice of home made red velvet cake. The first mouthful was amazing as was the second and maybe the third but then I started to feel a bit sick. Unfortunately I am still grappling with the concept that I can throw food away if I’m not enjoying it so I saw it through to the (not) bitter end.
    I think this is proof that your tastebuds do change but maybe it takes a while for your head to catch up and realize that.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Flick – 60 hours! Wow! As a newbie to this fasting thing that is wholly inspiring.

My whoosh after my 36hr fast woodshed right back and I’m back on my ever stable 58.8kg. Exercised yesterday so am telling myself that’s muscle not fat 😁

Am going to fast today and see what happens.

Oh, Marcassin, I know what you mean about wasting food. It’s taken me ages to get to that point. What really helped was recycling food at home (for the council bin or compost) at which point I told myself it was not being wasted but recycled. Now I have that bin firmly in mind and tell myself I am not a recycling bin.

Have a great day, you carb fighters you.

Up

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Jackie I love this – “I am not a recycling bin” 🙂
    I’m definitely going to use this!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Kaz62 it definitely gets easier to ignore cakes and snacks, it becomes second nature after a few weeks.
    Last week a colleague shared around some hot chips. I popped 2 onto my plate of salad. They looked so out of place amongst the healthy fresh food on my plate so I popped them in the bin!
    I do sometimes have some birthday cake, but only if it’s something I really enjoy and think it’s worth spending the calories and carbs on. I only have a tiny sliver though and find that’s enough.
    My colleagues are used to me eating veggie sticks, boiled eggs etc while they eat cakes and biscuits at morning & afternoon teas. I rarely feel tempted to eat those sort of foods now.

on

I am raring to go. I had a back problem about 8 yrs ago that left me bed bound and in pain for about a year and its coming back. What helps is loosing weight, swimming, yoga and anti inflammatory pain killers. Having a desk based job coupled with lots of stress doesn’t.
    So I will affect the things I can change, I have struggled with motivation on this diet but the threat of another bulging disc will focus my mind. So off swimming tonight and will stick 100% to the diet. Just need to start weighing and counting carbs – which I hate but needs must. Also need to stop sitting all night in front of the tv, I am sure its sitting that ruins my back. Does anyone have any easy recipes I can use? I struggle to keep the carbs low ( I need them low for it to work) and fat up so I am not starving. I still have to cook for the family but am happy to cook a separate meal. I am desperate so any advice, hints, tips or strategies gratefully received. How do i stop my tummy rumbling, its so loud! Good luck everyone.

• posted by Milalin
    on

LTC my great pleasure is a little butter on my veges or in my scrambled eggs. Small pleasures x

on

Sadly dont eat eggs, I know they are great for this woe.

Please log in or register to post a reply.